Author Topic: Giant Bombcast  (Read 140115 times)

Quaker

Re: Giant Bombcast
« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »
Woah, double whammy of losing Drew and getting...Rorie as 4th chair.  :brazilcry

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #361 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
Really sucks but it was inevitable honestly. They weren't gonna all stay there forever. GB East is still pretty strong. Wish Austin didn't leave tho :(

Agreed because there is only so much of Alex's self loathing and uhhhhhhhhhhh's that I can take. Jeff Bakalar is a good addition.

Woah, double whammy of losing Drew and getting...Rorie as 4th chair.  :brazilcry

And Rorie can't keep a line of thought and absolutely has to interrupt every conversation.

They are going to be hurting for a while. Among both coasts they have enough talent for a single podcast. Just my opinion.
rub

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #362 on: February 21, 2017, 10:06:17 PM »
Unfortunately GiantBomb began it's decline when Ryan passed away. It's been on a very steady downhill since.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #363 on: February 22, 2017, 07:35:08 AM »
Unfortunately GiantBomb began it's decline when Ryan passed away. It's been on a very steady downhill since.

Easy thing to say but I don't see it. They're different eras of the site that both have had amazing content. Some of the best stuff Giant Bomb has ever done has come in the last 2 years or so.
nat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2017, 01:36:43 AM »
Giant Bomb goes in waves and it depends on the personalities you like and how prominent they are at any given moment. When Ryan died I thought the site was noticeably weaker. And that lasted a long time.

I thought they had a resurgence after splitting into East and West. I know some people love Dan. I could go either way on him. Sometimes he's cool with the added presence he brings in stuff like the Mario Party. Other times he's insufferable and hard to take.

Giant Bomb is almost like an SNL cast. If you vibe with certain people its more enjoyable, but its understandable that's its going to be a split reaction because of that. 

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »

Easy thing to say but I don't see it. They're different eras of the site that both have had amazing content. Some of the best stuff Giant Bomb has ever done has come in the last 2 years or so.

My perspective and yours are obviously subjective but the combination of losing that core group's chemistry and being sold to Gamespot made an irreversible directional shift in the tone of the site.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #366 on: February 23, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »

My perspective and yours are obviously subjective but the combination of losing that core group's chemistry and being sold to Gamespot made an irreversible directional shift in the tone of the site.

I still like what they're putting out, but man the Whiskey Media/Sausalito days are unparalleled.
zzzzz

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »
GBEast opened a rec for an Associate Producer role and I'm going to apply for it. Even though I don't have any direct experience I think my near decade of experience in IT and interest in creative work makes me weirdly suitable for the role.

It's a long shot but it'd be a dream job, honestly.
nat

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »
Oh man go for it!!!
rub

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2017, 06:57:12 AM »
whelp, I applied. submitted my resume and filled out the application. then i also sent two separate personal emails to vinny and a hiring director with my cover letter and resume. hopefully someone see's it and thinks i'm qualified! would be awesome to at least get an interview!
nat

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2017, 07:02:41 AM »
Remember it's about ethics in videogame podcasting, always.

Best of luck !
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

« Reply #371 on: April 19, 2017, 08:13:28 PM »
Honestly I stopped listening to the bombcast awhile ago. While I like the video content and such, the podcasts have been on the decline for a long time.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: April 19, 2017, 08:42:53 PM »
I stopped listening a few eps ago because its always

Zelda

Zelda

Zelda

Cmon man like 10 other games got released and all you talk about is zelda fuck
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #373 on: April 20, 2017, 01:40:23 AM »
It's all about the beastcast now.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #374 on: April 20, 2017, 07:02:17 AM »
whelp, I applied. submitted my resume and filled out the application. then i also sent two separate personal emails to vinny and a hiring director with my cover letter and resume. hopefully someone see's it and thinks i'm qualified! would be awesome to at least get an interview!

Any updates?

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #375 on: April 20, 2017, 07:17:36 AM »
nah unfortunately not. haven't heard a peep.
nat

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #376 on: April 20, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear. I was hoping you'd get the job.

Have you tried following-up via e-mail?

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #377 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:48 AM »
I applied through their website so there wasn't any direct contact with a person. I did email their hiring director (in SF tho) and Vinny directly but that wasn't really an official communication and they never responded back (didn't expect them to).

I guess I can try to email them again but I figured it would be weird since they never responded in the first place You think that's a good idea?
nat

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #378 on: April 20, 2017, 11:35:07 AM »
I applied through their website so there wasn't any direct contact with a person. I did email their hiring director (in SF tho) and Vinny directly but that wasn't really an official communication and they never responded back (didn't expect them to).

I guess I can try to email them again but I figured it would be weird since they never responded in the first place You think that's a good idea?

Yep, follow ups are a good idea in all seriousness.
rub

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #379 on: April 20, 2017, 11:36:45 AM »
Well. 45 mins in to the latest bombcast and I think it'll be my last. 40 minutes of Zelda talk. Ugh.

Here's two people we're going to grill for 30 minutes about their linear sub-par game being made into a movie.They have nothing substantial to say and can barely converse!

(fast forward...)

Zelda!

(fast forward)

Zelda!

Off.
rub

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »

Yep, follow ups are a good idea in all seriousness.

I just didn't know if it would be good idea since I never had a direct contact with anyone, ya know? But I guess you're right. I did email Vinny via what I believed was his CBSI email address I was thinking of maybe sending one off to his Giantbomb email as well.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #381 on: May 01, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »
https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/welcome-new-hires/1100-5609/

New hires!

They hired one of their old interns from the Whiskey Media days in the GB West office, and they hired someone named Abby Russell in the GBeast office.

So that means I didn't get the job obvs. But in retrospect I think it's good they just didn't hire two more straight white dudes in the late 20's early 30's. Hiring Austin Walker was one of the best thing thing they'd ever done for the site so I hope Vinny continues his track record of excellent hires.
nat

fizzel

« Reply #382 on: May 02, 2017, 03:15:55 AM »
Chicks are the death of comedy.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #383 on: May 03, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
Wow Ben Pack's voice.

It's grating.
rub

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #384 on: May 03, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »
Patrick Klepek will forever win that contest. I don't even hate the guy like the community seems to, but the very frequency and force of his voice is just hard to bear. It cuts through everything.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #385 on: May 03, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »
I like Ben so far.  :yeshrug
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:24:22 PM by Atramental »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #386 on: May 03, 2017, 08:27:14 PM »
Ben is great. He was good as an intern and I still like him on the show. His laugh is also hilarious to me.

also lol

dat stache has gotta go though :yuck

Boredfrom

« Reply #387 on: May 03, 2017, 10:12:28 PM »
I like Ben because he actually forced to have a Persona 5 discussion.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #388 on: May 03, 2017, 10:21:46 PM »
Haven't checked out the new guy yet.

The only person who ever really drove me away from the site was Alex. He can be so grating and just obnoxious at times that's its a complete turn off.

For what its worth he has gotten better recently when I've caught him. He use to be an instant skip video signal for me.

I always liked Patrick but honestly he just didn't fit in with the rest of those guys. He's more.... I hate to use the word intellectual because its not what I mean, but he's more thought oriented than the rest of them and it was a hard fit.

Dan fits in fine with them but I can only take so much Dan before he can annoy me also. Not at all in the way Alex does but more in just a, god damn this dude is super dumb sometimes kinda way.

I was fine with Austin. He seemed to fit in especially well with the East Crew especially Vinny.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #389 on: May 03, 2017, 11:29:09 PM »
I like Ben so far.  :yeshrug

So far yeah. I just have to get used to his voice.
rub

Klelk

« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
Imagine running a company where 90% of your product involves your employees speaking for extended periods of time and then hiring a guy with an awful annoying voice :snoop

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #391 on: May 31, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
He sounds like one of my friends so that's probably why I don't find his voice annoying.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #392 on: May 31, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
he sounds like a person. stop being a whiny dick
nat

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #393 on: June 12, 2017, 03:42:27 PM »
he sounds like a person. stop being a whiny dick

I'll eat said dick. Ben is a fantastic addition and is hilarious. I was completely wrong.
rub

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #394 on: June 15, 2017, 02:22:31 PM »
Abby has really found her place during E3 week. She's doing great.

Also - last night they had Samoa Joe on their night show. Having Giant Bomb people and Xavier Woods and Samoa Joe in the same video is fucking with my brain.
nat

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2017, 11:03:07 PM »
Abby has really found her place during E3 week. She's doing great.

Yep - she lost a lot of her hesitancy from the Beastcast recordings. I think Ben really helped her out. I really can't believe how wrong I was about him.
rub

Boredfrom

« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2017, 03:09:09 PM »
They feel less awkward than what Austin and Dan were in the in the beginning.

FStop7

« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »
Ben and Abby are awesome.  They're perfect additions to GB.

Also, I ran into Matt Rorie in the lobby of The Standard on Saturday morning.  I was too puss to say anything, though.  He was carrying a bunch of bags and looked busy, I assume he was getting ready for the MS conference show.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #398 on: June 23, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
Beastcast was great this week. Dan induced tho, so mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:01:08 PM by Rufus »

Klelk

« Reply #399 on: July 28, 2017, 09:06:21 AM »
So having given them some time, Abby is great. Ben is not. The Giant Bombcast is trash and usually goes like this:
Ben: I was playing new game and-
Brad: Didn't like it, huh?
Ben: Well I thought it was okay
Jeff: But is it really?
Ben: I guess not
Brad: I think old game was good
Jeff: But is it really?
Brad: I guess not

They really need a Dan-type hire in the West office.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #400 on: July 28, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »
I'm not down on the Bombcast really and I think it's been pretty good. My problem with it is that it's too low energy. That comes from Brad being the host and there not being any kind of high energy person on to spark stuff. They're all very similarly chill people.

Beastcast has good variety of different kinds of people so it results in a much more dynamic podcast.
nat

Himu

« Reply #401 on: July 28, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
What are the best things this year from the crew? Haven't paid attention all year.

Podcasts, QL's, Reviews;etc. Any good premium content?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #402 on: July 28, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »
What are the best things this year from the crew? Haven't paid attention all year.

The VR Rodeos are my favorite bit.
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #403 on: July 28, 2017, 03:34:04 PM »
Danny O'Dwyer. I only watched the Doom one, partly because his style didn't impress me much.

Beastcast on the other hand was great. Pouty Bakalar is excellent.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #404 on: July 28, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »

Any East video content. Playdates, especially the Vinny/Abby Resi7 video, Blue Bombin', the current Steal My Sunshine series.
nat

Boredfrom

« Reply #405 on: July 30, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »

I have only watched the first video of their  Yakuza 0 play through (cause I want to play the game first) but felt solid.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #406 on: August 07, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

I think the Battleground videos have been good. Unpfofessional Fridays have been really poor lately.

Feels like anything East does is very solid.
rub

cityhunter

« Reply #407 on: August 10, 2017, 06:33:23 AM »
Not really a fan of this Ben guy. I don't find him funny and his voice seems like he's constantly on the edge of sneezing. I guess he's a bit less irritating than Dan and his tryhard wide-eyed starchild persona. But if I had to choose between the two I would rather put up with Dan's "personality" because he does have his moments.

Freyj

« Reply #408 on: August 10, 2017, 09:05:46 AM »
I think I actually prefer the pre games discussion on Bombcast more than anything on either podcast, but I could listen to Jeff shoot the shit all day long about state fairs, living in southern Cali in the 90s, watching Baseball and Horseracing all day while drinking.

Ben sort of reminds me of that awkward friend who always makes awkward jokes, but it's surprisingly entertaining somehow.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #409 on: August 11, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
Not really a fan of this Ben guy. I don't find him funny and his voice seems like he's constantly on the edge of sneezing. I guess he's a bit less irritating than Dan and his tryhard wide-eyed starchild persona. But if I had to choose between the two I would rather put up with Dan's "personality" because he does have his moments.

cityhunter

« Reply #410 on: August 14, 2017, 02:56:13 AM »

I watched it and gave a sincere try. But just wasn't into the humor or anti-humor that's at play here. Got a slight smirk from the "I'd tap that" shirt with the art of fucking. But beyond that I was just meh in general. Sorry man.

Klelk

« Reply #411 on: August 27, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »
This part in particular is why I can't get into Ben's humour

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #412 on: September 03, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Giant Beastcast is the better podcast.

Like all things in life; East Coast reigns supreme.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #414 on: December 27, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »
"Best World" for worst category.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #415 on: December 27, 2017, 11:33:37 PM »

Jeff apparently just checked out on it  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Himu

« Reply #416 on: December 28, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »
Missed GB this year for the most part. Tell me the best they've done this year.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #417 on: December 28, 2017, 01:34:30 AM »

Jeff apparently just checked out on it  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
He was irritated and I could very much empathize. I got the impression the others assumed 'world' to be largely synonymous with level design, whereas Jeff was very much thinking of 'world building', which consists of more than geometry and systems. They way Alex talked about AssCreed Origins made me briefly think he understood as well (given that it prompted him to put forth the category), but I guess not? Maybe that's why Jeff assumed it to mean world building in the first place. Started skipping through it not too long into that one.

The music section wasn't as painful as I thought it might be, but I skipped most of the actual deliberation there as well. Only so many variations on "I like this" I can bear.

Side note: holy shit, the audition in New Colossus. They snuck Reagan in there!? :lol

Klelk

« Reply #418 on: December 29, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »
Abby fucking sucks at saying why she likes something

It's so good, very good, I really liked it x 100

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #419 on: December 29, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
Abby fucking sucks at saying why she likes something

It's so good, very good, I really liked it x 100

???

She killed it explaining why Nier is a POS
___