Author Topic: Mr. Gundam, Himuro and Bebpo present: The Superior Gundam Thread  (Read 10902 times)

Re: Mr. Gundam, Himuro and Bebpo present: The Superior Gundam Thread
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »
Episode 26...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Woolf  :'(
[close]
野球

Tasty

« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2012, 12:36:45 PM »
Goddamnit why did I click that spoiler. WHY

« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »
Goddamnit why did I click that spoiler. WHY

Sorry, man. If it makes you feel any better, I had it spoiled for me without any warning whatsoever.
野球

« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #244 on: April 14, 2012, 01:00:06 AM »
Ep26 was pretty good, it actually didn't follow cliches which is more than I expected out of Hino.

Woolf dead = did not expect that.  I wonder whose the spy now.  The most predictable choice would be the blond sub-commander, but that would also be a boring choice.  I want it to be someone from AGE1 era whose been with them all along.
Desil killed by someone other than Flit = did not expect
[close]

The only thing I didn't like was the generic HOW DO YOU BECOME A BETTER PILOT?!!?  RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE lololol

Still there's something about a Gundam show that you just don't get from anything else.  Where watching a bunch of character deploy out to space and fight for 20 mins with dramatic music just gets your blood pumping and puts you on the edge of your seat.  Gundam battles are satisfying anime.

Himu

« Reply #245 on: April 14, 2012, 01:28:17 AM »
I'm liking AGE a lot.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2012, 01:37:53 AM »
I think it is enjoyable enough.

« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2012, 02:30:17 PM »
Right Stuf has this listed with an MSRP of $59.99.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/=INvNyKyVhMu1opLLy/browse/item/94902/4/0/0

$47.99 >>>>>>>>>> $128
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:41:08 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »
Ok AGE ep27 was weird in a really bad way.

So it seemed like it was the final ep of the era and that there'd be a time skip now where Vagans grow up on earth and form their own society there with Zehart has the leader.  But uh, it's not?  And there's 3 eps left and suddenly they're going to start a whole new arc on earth and build it up and have a final fight immediately?  Seems like this could be a pretty weak finale out of nowhere.

As for the ep itself.  Asemu's character arc has been awful for a while now.  It really seems like Hino just doesn't have the talent to write what he wants properly.  So we have Asemu who has no idea wtf he is doing the entire arc, sometimes trying to beat his dad/zehart, sometimes trying to protect people; we have him fighting and being average, then Woolf dies and he goes RAAAAAGE and kills Desil and then sees Zehart and continues to RAAAGE totally oblivious to everything going on in the battle around him, then when the enemy base is falling he suddenly out of fucking NOWHERE has this character transformation on a dime where he's all wise and solemn and is GOING TO SACRIFICE HIMSELF TO PROTECT.  Like really, this shit comes out of NOWHERE and is totally unbelievable and ridiculous compared to how his character was 30 seconds prior.  Normally in a show when you have the character go from dumb idiot emotion-driven pilot -> WISE JESUS YAMATO there's some major events that portray the transformation.  This is literally him looking at the base, flinching, and becoming a different person than he's been the entire show.  Couldn't they have at least done a montage of flashbacks in his head as he sees everyone fighting to protect and he realizes what he needs to do??  It's just so...terribly done. 

At least Zehart has an excuse for his actions.  But Asemu's character arc this season has been totally shit and Zehart's character arc has been dragged down because of it as well.  I think for what they were trying to do with Asemu, they seriously needed more eps.  It feels like Hino is trying to do a 50ep character arc in 15eps and it just doesn't work.

Also since the whole show has been ripping off prior Gundams, I think it would have been better if when Asemu and Zehart see the ship about to crash into earth, they realize they are fighting for the same thing, to protect the earth, and they both dive down below the ship and together use their UBER-MECHA to stop the fall of the ship, aka recreating the end of CCA in a way.  That would have been FAR more satisfying than what happened.  It would have also made more sense logically and Asemu's transformation and AsemuxZehart's friendship re-unite would actually work.  Instead Hino just wrote a mess of an ep that is unsatisfying and does a crappy job at ending some of the subplots. 

But mainly, Asemu just sucks.  I wouldn't have minded if he actually blew himself up and the protag of AGE3 is his sister's kid and not his.  Asemu would be remembered as the moronic kid who saved everyone through his sacrifice and AGE3 could show a little monument of him smiling.

Also didn't care for the whole METEOR GUNDAMS OUT OF NOWHERE, OH WAIT THEY WERE JUST "HOLDING" BIG BOMBS
[close]

« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
AGE 3 OP song

野球

« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2012, 02:16:22 AM »
That Gundam Unicorn is so hot right now.

野球

Bebpo

« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2012, 03:43:31 PM »
The end of AGE2 was eh, ok.  I guess AGE2 was just a transition arc so maybe that's why all the characters/plotting seemed so half-assed.

Putting all my hopes into AGE3 being good.  That may be a very unwise thing to do.  But I'm optimistic!

Tasty

« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
The white Gundam is super cool beans. But yeah, Asemu and Romar-whathersface were two of the blandest leads ever. I do think AGE 3 will be quite good though. Even as a "stopgap" with bland leads AGE 2 was still pretty good overall.

I did like that AGE 2 had a "ending cap" episode, it was kinda abrupt going from AGE 1 to 2.

Preview for next week looks insane. Grandpa Flit is lol. :lol

« Reply #255 on: April 28, 2012, 12:55:19 AM »
Rumors swirling around the moonspeak-tubes that AGE is getting cancelled/shortened run ala 0079 and X.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »
Kinda felt like it when they dragged AGE2 on way past 13 eps.

« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
Rumors swirling around the moonspeak-tubes that AGE is getting cancelled/shortened run ala 0079 and X.

I'm guessing no AGE4 movie then?

If AGE gets shortened, maybe the pace for AGE3 will be improved.  But yeah, AGE is a disaster from a business perspective.  Total bomb gundam, worst in history.  Putting their faith in Hino was really dumb.

Beezy

« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »
yikes

« Reply #260 on: April 29, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #261 on: April 30, 2012, 12:21:43 AM »
AGE3 sort of has that UC-feel in a not as good way.  Could be good.  I like the main guy and he seems like he'll actually be a good pilot, which will be nice for a change.  Grandpa Flit is better than Commander Flit from last season.  The side cast of pilots seems to be people in their late 20s, 30s which does kind of push that this arc will be the "adult" arc of the 3, which AGE1 = kid arc, AGE2= teen arc, AGE3 = young adult arc.

But I don't like the new Gundam.  Like how AGE1 was a knock off RX-78 and AGE2 was a knock off OO Raiser, this is a knock off ZZ Gundam.  There is very little originality to the design and it just looks worse than the Gundam it's copying.  Stock AGE1 was probably the best looking design of the show, even if it was just a generic RX-78.

Tasty

« Reply #262 on: April 30, 2012, 12:40:07 AM »
I dunno, the white AGE2 was pretty hot. But yeah I don't like the new Gundam either. Too bulky, and no reason for it to split into two except to sell twice as many toys. :teehee

I like the new protag but he's like so effeminate. I was complaining about the lack of a girl Gundam pilot before but this isn't what I had in mind. :lol  I like him overall though, could be cool.

« Reply #263 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:17 AM »
Crossbone AGE-2 looks pretty sweet, though.

If you want a female protag, Andrex, check out the Ecole du Ciel manga. The first nine volumes were released by Tokyo Pop.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 12:46:03 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2012, 01:32:22 AM »

I don't like how the v-fins are almost horizontal and the top AGE part is so tall.  It's like it's wearing a party hat.  It looks like a down syndrome Gundam :(

Bulks looks weird and bad here.

But at some angles the bulk looks ok.

Bebpo

« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:11 AM »
Also, notice in the last picture how the v-fins are more angled like a normal gundam.  I don't even think the artists like the horizontal v-fins  :lol

Tasty

« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2012, 01:43:53 AM »
Something I've been meaning to ask since 00 s1 is.........

Umm, what "makes" a Gundam? Is it just what it looks like? And why are they so rare? Flit could have given the blueprints and made millions of them for the earth's army.

In 00 it actually made kinda sense, Gundams were the ones that had the GN Drives, but then, nope, the non-Gundams got those too. Except they were fake drives, so maybe they're not Gundams? But oh wait, the Throne Gundams show up and have fake drives too!

So confusing.

Bebpo

« Reply #267 on: April 30, 2012, 01:49:53 AM »
AGE story is full of plotholes.

Originally it made sense that Gundams would only work with this mysterious black box AGE device passed down through the family legacy.  So there could only be one Gundam and then he gives it to Asemu and there's still only one gundam.  Then Flit is using AGE1 in the AGE2 arc while Asemu is using AGE2 and it's like...uh, ok then why don't you mass produce these things.  Then you have AGE3 and it's 30 years later and that's a lot of time to build more Gundams but nope, still no other gundams.  Yeah, logic doesn't work in this show.  Because...Hino!

« Reply #268 on: May 13, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
野球

Himu

« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
Is AGE licensed yet
IYKYK

« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
Is AGE licensed yet

Who would license it? Bandai took their ball and ran home.
野球

« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2012, 01:48:52 AM »
Soooo... How 'bout that Gundam AGE, eh? Finally caught up and just finished episode 44.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »
Still have to watch 44, am on 43. I'm liking how things are progressing, it sort of feels like every episode has something important happening.

Kio being all pacifist is getting a little annoying though.

Himu

« Reply #273 on: August 22, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
0079 movie trilogy.

Used to be free on youtube. Isn't anymore.

If you like 0079, watch 0080, 08th MS team, and 0083 in that order.

If you like THOSE, and you should if you have taste, watch Zeta Gundam.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2012, 10:05:10 AM »
I dropped Age early in the 3rd series. The mobile suit designs and fights are terrible.

I should finally watch Zeta. I started it a few years back but got distracted by something else.

Himu

« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »
Yeah, I dropped AGE as well. Waiting for it to finish.
IYKYK

« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »
I'm enjoying AGE.

Batshit crazy grampa Flit and Space Pirate Asemu cancel out dumbass "war is bad!" Kio.
[close]
野球

Rahxephon91

« Reply #277 on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:18 AM »
I'm up to Eps. 23 of Age. I've stopped for now and will probably blow through some more of it over this weekend.

Can't say I like it. I really disliked the look and character designs, but I was willing to ignore that. I dislike the designs of Seed as well and find that to be a entertaining teen angst filled show. Likewise 0083 is pretty much one the best looking  Gundam show out there. Sadly it's pretty terrible everywhere else.

But age is still pretty terrible. I found the first arc really boring. i really don't care for the premise. Sure it's not as bad as the 00 movie's aliens, but  secret Mar's colonists aren't that interesting to me. I like Gundam when it has two sides filled with cool and sympathetic characters on both sides. So really the conflict didn't hold my attention. I also found Flit to be pretty non-engaging. A lot of anime and especially Gundam pro-tags recently have been pretty bland, but at least the supporting cast of the show may make up for it. 1st arc, I'm not even sure who the supporting cast was, I don't remember. Outside of the Captain they all were pretty unremarkable and I really hate Emily, who's entire point seemed to be to cry about Flit. Man the love interests characters so far in this show have got to be the worse. The chick(I'm not going to be bothered to remember that thing) is pretty terrible so far in Arc 2. Her character seems to be "I like the main dude because he's nice". It's just exremley unintersting.

The plot is also incredibly predictable and pace has not worked for this show.For example 2 characters are supposed to be friends so when they start fighting against each other its supposed to mean something, but the extent of their friendship was shown in a montage at a beginning of an episode. It's so poorly done. Another example is you have an episode that a potentially good about the main character mentally fighting his dad because you know he's trying to be himself, except this isn't given an episode to itself and this plot isn't really resolved because the show basically has to abruptly shift to it's next plot point. Gundam Age is pretty terrible. The idea of a Gundam show taking on themes of family and father son relationships sounds pretty decent and you can see that it's there in Age. It's the highlight honestly, and Flit is much more interesting as a workaholic obbssed dad. But It's just not handled as well as it could have and it's surrounded by crap. Episode 21 is probably the best episode of the series and it's pretty funny to see that Hino did not write it.

Tasty