• Sales Loser
Re: GTA 5
« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »
copy paste from gaf

cat

Bebpo

« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
Looks like a RDR style map of the entire area and then there will be a city map for each I'm guessing?

Also that guy is so fucked.  I'd be surprised if they don't find him and kill him before he leaks the city map.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »
ESPECIALLY with LA Noire's facial tech (assuming they implement it).

they won't

hopefully they implement everything that himu hates

Wow, :lol at anyone who thinks GTA will incorporate that farcical tech.

It's interesting tech, to be sure, and it produced impressive results, but it's something for prerendered CG movies, not a game.

Himu

« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
Rockstar finally redeemed the GTA franchise.

How so? It was already redeemed with GTA: Chinatown Wars to begin with. I fail to see how a big map will redeem GTA. ???
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
I will never understand why people want such huge maps for crime sandbox games. What's the point? Most of the stuff you do in between missions is driving from place to place, with few, if any quests being introduced to you. Red Dead Redemption did it right in that the map was huge, but even if you were in the middle of nowhere, SOMETHING interesting was going down. GTA isn't like that. So you'll be driving for 10 minutes doing filler crap as opposed to anything substantial. It's not like an Elder Scrolls game or Fallout where walking in ANY direction for 5 minutes will get you a new quest, so what's the point of such huge, filler worlds and why do people get excited when they see them? The only thing you get, at most, are annoying missions where you drive for five fucking minutes just so you can start the mission. That's not fun, that's fucking boring.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2011, 06:22:47 PM »
I fail to see how another bad GTA will redeem GTA

Buy GTA: Chinatown Wars :bow

Best GTA since Vice City. Not this overhyped, hollywood wank

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:29:39 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
Himu weren't you just up this games butt hole yesterday?  I'm having a hard time keeping track.

Himu

« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
Himu weren't you just up this games butt hole yesterday?  I'm having a hard time keeping track.

No, and these are based on unsubstantiated rumors anyways. Why not swat them like flies to begin with?

You just don't get it.

So it'll redeem GTA because it panders to your San Andreas nostalgia?
IYKYK

Robo

« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
I will never understand why people want such huge maps for crime sandbox games. What's the point? Most of the stuff you do in between missions is driving from place to place, with few, if any quests being introduced to you. Red Dead Redemption did it right in that the map was huge, but even if you were in the middle of nowhere, SOMETHING interesting was going down. GTA isn't like that. So you'll be driving for 10 minutes doing filler crap as opposed to anything substantial. It's not like an Elder Scrolls game or Fallout where walking in ANY direction for 5 minutes will get you a new quest, so what's the point of such huge, filler worlds and why do people get excited when they see them? The only thing you get, at most, are annoying missions where you drive for five fucking minutes just so you can start the mission. That's not fun, that's fucking boring.

You're prattling on about how the map size is the problem and then in the same paragraph give at least two fine examples of games that show that map size is not the problem, but rather the content (or lack thereof) between point-to-point.  That's not an issue exclusive to crime sandbox games; just one that hasn't seen good implementation of a solution yet.

Please, don't make me defend this game.
obo

Himu

« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
It's mostly because it's GTA, and I doubt Rockstar will fix the problem because they want to tell their "story". Also, Saints Row 2's map is smallllllll.
IYKYK

Robo

« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »
You're right about that much.  Blame it on the games journos who continue to cum for a series that is clearly on a sharp decline.
obo

Himu

« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2011, 06:58:22 PM »
Also, you're referring to while not on mission. Rockstar tends to utilize their entire map for missions. So imagine having to do a mission where you drive from one end of a large map to the other for a mission.
IYKYK

Robo

« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
I do find that irritating, but that's not really a problem with the map; it's a problem with the mission.
obo

Himu

« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
I'm not so sure about that. Saints Row 2 has missions where you cover the entire map's distance and they're still fun. Ditto to RDR and that game is huge. They're never tedious, and it's fun just traveling there.

I think this will be completely dependent on how well they do the vehicle/on foot controls. If the vehicles still control like tub boats, it will be a problem. Likewise, if the mere possibility of on foot controls makes you want to slit your wrist like how they were used in GTAIV, that will also be a problem.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
I'd be glad features from old games are back too! But remember they're rumors so far. Don't want you to get burned. :( I'm sure base jumping will be in though, since it was in Gay Tony.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
I agree. What else are you dissociating yourself from?
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »
Mafia 1 and 2 make you fill up the gas tank, but it never really matters because you're switching cars frequently enough. 

I'm all for that sort of stuff in GTAV.  It just needs a consistent tone.  It's like how I was less bothered by repairing cars, malaria, etc. in Far Cry 2 because the game never abandoned the established tone.  More RPG-lite stuff like RDR would be great.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
I'm dissociating myself from bad games.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »
Mafia 1 and 2 make you fill up the gas tank, but it never really matters because you're switching cars frequently enough. 

I'm all for that sort of stuff in GTAV.  It just needs a consistent tone.  It's like how I was less bothered by repairing cars, malaria, etc. in Far Cry 2 because the game never abandoned the established tone.  More RPG-lite stuff like RDR would be great.

Here's hoping they STAY with the abandoned fat/thin/muscled body distortions they made in San Andreas, as well as the insane and fickle girlfriends' dating scheme. Though I did like that there was an actual advantage to getting in their good graces, such as weapons, free healing... or was it keeping your weapons when you got WASTED? That was great.

Himu

« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2011, 10:57:14 PM »
Yeah, that's my issue. Rockstar tend to be awful at sim elements.
IYKYK

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
I still get a hard on thinking about how awesome san andreas was.
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2011, 12:38:23 PM »
It was pretty great.

I do agree that it was pretty big, unnecessarily big, and that some of those areas were just utterly devoid of anything.

If you wanted to just go out to the fields or desert and mess around, cool, but if you lost your car, it was a seriously long-ass run back to civilization.

One of the neat things in Red Faction: Guerrilla, which I only noticed in the end-game, is if you're really out in the middle of nowhere, and there are no other vehicles around, a Red Faction member will show up with a car and say, "Here you go!" -- pretty damned smart.

cool breeze

« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2011, 08:50:24 PM »
someone made the trailer in San Andreas.  this is a comparison video to show why graphix rule and stingy japanese game makers drool:

(alone: )

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »
That's REALLY cool. Though, surprisingly, it makes me want to re-play San Andreas.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »
Same with me. Just because I know there will be more to do.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »
Any predictions on how much Rockstar may have learned about side-missions and event encounters from Red Dead Redemption, and how much they might include in GTA V?

Himu

« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »
50%, give or take. It seemed they learned their lesson from the expansions but who knows.

Hell, look at Chinatown Wars.

Hopefully they're co-developing the game with Rockstar San Diego.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
This is purely speculation on my part, but I feel like Rockstar Leeds is considered the runt of the litter, just based on the relatively small success of their titles. CW was theirs, and despite fantastic ratings, it tanked. And though the "Stories" games sold pretty well, I suspect they sold less than Rockstar had been hoping.

So, sadly, I'd bet their designers are not even invited to the grown-up table for discussion on the main GTA games.

OTOH, Rockstar San Diego managed to really knock one out of the park with RDR, and it's almost certain they are contributing to GTA V if they were indeed even working on LA Noire.

I sure would like the ability to listen for random gang attacks to foil, muggings and rapes to stop... He'll, I'd even be happy putting out fires and delivering noodles again.

Even if it distracts from the Oscar-worthy story...

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
Rockstar toronto  is the best
USA

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »
Unpopular opinion : I preferred the top down 2d GTAs

Himu

« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »

Nothing wrong with that. 2 and CW are among the best in the series. London is great too. It's GTA1 that's kinda lacking.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »
This is purely speculation on my part, but I feel like Rockstar Leeds is considered the runt of the litter, just based on the relatively small success of their titles. CW was theirs, and despite fantastic ratings, it tanked. And though the "Stories" games sold pretty well, I suspect they sold less than Rockstar had been hoping.

CW tanked, but didn't Liberty City and Vice City Stories sell about 13 million combined?
dog

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
yes, nintenbotsl ike to rewrite history and forget the fact that only their GTA exclusive sold so HORRIFICLY that it was literally ported to every console under the sun to save face  :lol :lol
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »

CW tanked, but didn't Liberty City and Vice City Stories sell about 13 million combined?

I hope someone has numbers... I don't.

It was expected that GTA on PSP would be a system seller, and a runaway success; they were successful, but did not blow the roof off. I think that's why the PS2 versions came out, and those sold pretty well.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2012, 04:57:07 PM »
vice city stories killed the ps2 games.  consistent mission quality, fun diversions, and smart little adjustments & improvements made it way more fun than the jankiness of the older games.
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
This is true; I am a big fan of Rockstar Leeds. The Vice City Stories missions were great, there were even more side missions, plus there was the whole "empire building" feature, where you could choose your own "vice," and build it up with its own side missions -- and changing a building's Activity and its operation size changed the building itself, so for the first time in GTA you could customize the actual game world landscape.

I just worry that, with the commercial failure of their first "from scratch" project, they may be relegated to playing assist on Rockstar North's efforts.

Himu

« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
VCS is highly underrated.
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2012, 01:30:32 AM »
http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/06/rumour-2k-czech-working-on-grand-theft-auto-v-mafia-iii/
Rumour – 2K Czech on Grand Theft Auto V, Mafia III

Mafia II developer 2K Czech is contributing to Grand Theft Auto V, VG247 has been told.

A source told us the Czech studio has been working on the game for almost a year, putting its cinematic expertise to work in producing animations for cutscenes and general gameplay.

The Rockstar-led project was announced in November 2011, but platform and release information is yet to surface.

The tech sharing goes both way, with Rockstar opening its secrets to 2K Czech. Our source tells us the collaboration is part of Take Two’s plan to turn the Mafia series into a major franchise.

2K Czech’s next game, Mafia III, has apparently just gone into full development after a year of thorough pre-production, in which the game’s concepts and tech were stripped back to basics and rebuilt.

Our source has no details on Mafia III’s intended release window or platforms, but noted that 2K was in attendance at the “Durango” developer’s summit in London, rumoured to be an insider reveal of the next Xbox console.

Mafia II released in August 2010 and received extremely divisive reviews, with critics praising its story, characters and richly-detailed world but criticising the gameplay.

When approached for a statement, 2K advised it does not comment on rumours.
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »
Vehicle list from MP3 files

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=510202&st=0

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]
As of now, there are:
48 Cars
5 Bikes
10 Heli's
1 Plane
25 Boats
9 Train models
Cars
apc
bobsleigh
benson
biff
bobcat
boxville
buccaneer
burrito
brzbus
casco
cadge
car_brzhatchplc
car_brzsedanplc
car_brzhatchjnk
car_brzsedanjnk
carga
cavalcade
cognoscenti
cs2000
chavos
dukes
dune
feroci
forklift
futo
furzen
fxt
gant
hauler
minivan
infernus
patriot
phantom
prairie
police
rancher
rhino
schafter
seinove
skimobile
taxi
vanpony
willard
winky
trash
railmu
flatty
snowplough

Bikes
enduro
jz125
z75
faggio2
spike

Helicopters
autogiro
bchopper
annihilator
bentham
maverick
hind
napalm
scamp
heli_vcpf
heli_tfe

Planes
cuban800

Boats
squalo
bassboy
chika
fisher   
fishboat_a
fishboat_b
fishboat_c
fishboat_d,
marquis
reefer
tropic
gunboat
sabs_boat
small_gb2
dinghy
p_mi_botfsh
whaler
woody
woody2
sporto
tinny
tug
contbo
smug
edsboat

Trains
cablecar
chairlift
subway_lo
subway_hi
train_carg
trainf_carg
trainr_carg
train_int
lighty
cat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
why would they hide it in max payne files idiots heh
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
So one of the copters is a "VCPD" one? I suspect it's legacy data.

Himu

« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:53 AM »
Yes, Max Payne 3 uses Rage. Also, they said MP3 multi will carry over to GTA5 right?
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #223 on: July 12, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/36881/asked-answered-max-payne-3-and-grand-theft-auto-v.html

“What is going on with GTAV?” – received via Mouthoff

We are very busy working on the game! Everything is going well, but the game is a huge project. We should have more information and some new assets for you soon.

“Why don’t you give us more news?” – received via Mouthoff

As we have said before, we have often had long gaps between asset releases on previous games and will continue to do so in the future. We are sorry if you find this frustrating, but please understand, we don’t do this because we ‘don’t care about our fans' 'don’t respect our fans’ 'hate GTA fans etc' – precisely the opposite! We do it because we want to make sure we only release 100% correct information, and because we want to keep plenty back for the actual game release so there are still lots of surprises when you play it. The only things we care about are that you enjoy the experience of actually playing the game and that we release accurate information. We just have not been in a position to show more of the game than the trailer and will not be for a while yet. We did, however, manage to sneak a quick screenshot out for you… it’s not much, but we thought it was pretty fun.

but please understand

please understand

:bow :bow
 :hyper
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:34:08 AM by maxy »
cat

Timber

« Reply #224 on: July 12, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
LOOK LIKE GTAIV
w/e

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #225 on: July 12, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »
-no furries getting beaten with dildos
-no pimps with jetpacks
-no luchadores in tanks

PASS
pcp

Himu

« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
GTA4's episodes, LA Noire, and Max Payne 4 have good optimization. So this will likely have good optimization as well.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
To be fair, the color palette is brighter. I like it.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2012, 06:13:08 PM »
-no furries getting beaten with dildos
-no pimps with jetpacks
-no luchadores in tanks

PASS
Can't wait for the poorly optimized PC implementation

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:teehee
[close]
GTA4's episodes, LA Noire, and Max Payne 4 have good optimization. So this will likely have good optimization as well.

Pretty sure it's a jab at Saints Row, following that list of features. SR has had REALLY bad PC ports, historically.

Himu

« Reply #229 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:50 PM »
SR3's pc port was great, man. It was the best version.

In any case, it was directed at GTA4. I know people with top of the line rigs who can only get 30 fps on MEDIUM on a good day with that game.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #230 on: July 12, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »
i meant the screens were just boring ol city shots, in comparison to sr3's insane media campaign
pcp

Himu

« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »
They haven't started their hype train. This isn't a campaign at all. It's just two released pics to appease fans for lack of news.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #232 on: July 12, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
himu defense train rolling out early
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #233 on: July 14, 2012, 02:28:55 AM »
SR3's pc port was great, man. It was the best version.

In any case, it was directed at GTA4. I know people with top of the line rigs who can only get 30 fps on MEDIUM on a good day with that game.

I was referring to Ruzbeh's comment.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #234 on: July 15, 2012, 12:38:37 AM »

I loved them as a kid (especially London). I've got GTA1 still, tried it briefly, made me sick in ~5 mins of play. Did the others change the camera and movement to something less vomit inducing?
◕‿◕

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #235 on: July 15, 2012, 04:15:12 AM »
You mean the in and out zooming thing? I think the later cameras were less excitable yes. London was my fav too <3

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
cat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
*Borys is flying around in a fighter jet*

Borys: Awesome! R* is back, baby! Woohoo!

*phone call*

HAY BORYS WANT TO GO BOWLING??

Borys: ...okay
dog

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »
SRY

Fifstar

« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »