Author Topic: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|  (Read 1266830 times)

Himu

Re: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|
« Reply #10920 on: January 22, 2023, 12:40:10 PM »
I never liked Trigun. I might give it a second watch.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #10921 on: January 22, 2023, 01:30:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of people saying Trigun went hard and people love it in ep3 but like I'm guessing all these people never read the manga?

That was the main complaint with the original anime. It was very tame standard shounen tone that diverged from the manga by midway and did its own thing. I enjoyed it, but if you read the manga, it's a way more violent fucked up body horror seinen manga. It's no Berserk or anything, but it's pretty violent and mean spirited/dark.

Ep3 didn't surprise me because once the Gung-Ho-Guns and Knives show up, every story is full of violence and death as they mentally torture Vash to try to break his no killing rule.

I just wish the show as directed better. For all the brutality, I just found ep3 really dull to watch. I don't normally watch CG animation shows, so maybe it's just inherent in the medium but it just felt like every scene was animated in slow motion. Very slow.

The best scenes so far in the show have been the high-octane speeds like some bits of Ep1 and in Ep2 there's a chase where Vash is running through 3d environment and it looks really nice. Trigun is supposed to be a high-octane sci-fi western.

Himu

« Reply #10922 on: January 22, 2023, 01:35:32 PM »
Fascinating. I thought Trigun sucked honestly and didn't even know it had a manga. Figured it was a wack Bebop rip off. I pegged it as the most overrated anime of the 90's when I was like 16. All this hype and that was it?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #10923 on: January 22, 2023, 01:46:29 PM »
Yeah, for whatever reason I feel like Trigun Maximum manga is pretty lowkey barely acknowledged in the west. People don't talk about it like FMA or Berserk. Maybe it was just the timing and manga wasn't big in the west at the time?

I liked, but didn't love, Trigun Maximum. It thought it got really good but fell off in the last couple of volumes in the direction it went. The art and action was great though.

Himu

« Reply #10924 on: January 22, 2023, 01:56:05 PM »
Oh right, there was a manga. I forgot Maximum existed.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #10925 on: January 22, 2023, 02:09:11 PM »

Also the manga definitely skirts the line between an action series and a body horror one. The original anime didn't go into the body horror direction at all.

body horror spoilers:
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #10926 on: January 22, 2023, 03:17:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of people saying Trigun went hard and people love it in ep3 but like I'm guessing all these people never read the manga?

I'm completely unfamiliar with Trigun and the first two episodes felt kind of "monster of the week" combined with some comedic elements so it really caught me off guard how things escalated. Looks like I should check out the manga some day.

I can understand some of the animation issues though when it comes to CG anime Studio Orange is definitely one of the better studios out there
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 03:24:01 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Himu

« Reply #10927 on: January 22, 2023, 04:18:16 PM »
Wow. My whole life I thought Trigun sucked balls. One of the most baffling pieces of media I've seen trying to understand why it was popular and here I find half a lifetime later that the manga looks legit as all f.

A show with such a baller opening actually being a comedy was one of the most bizarre tone shifts I've ever seen in my life.

Seeing the manga I now see that the Trigun in my head always did exist. I need to check this shit out.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10928 on: January 24, 2023, 03:48:26 PM »
YYH is really flawed and kind of mediocre. Barely any story to think of. Even canon stuff feels like filler. Togashi must have really improved between YYH and HXH because damn.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10929 on: January 24, 2023, 11:18:35 PM »
YYH got good all of a sudden. :rejoice
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #10930 on: January 27, 2023, 03:16:31 PM »
‘Cowboy Bebop’ Creator Shinichirō Watanabe Says He Was Only Able To Stomach One Scene Of Netflix’s Live-Action Adaptation

It was clearly not Cowboy Bebop and I realized at that point that if I wasn’t involved, it would not be Cowboy Bebop.

:trumps

Tasty

« Reply #10931 on: January 27, 2023, 03:25:23 PM »
Holy shit that article totally buries his experiences on The Animatrix wtf this is the good juicy stuff!

In handling this situation, Watanabe said that, “when I went to Los Angeles for the recording sessions, I told the team that if I saw that producer I would just punch him in the face. The producer ended up not coming to the recordings, which is unheard of.”

Bebpo

« Reply #10932 on: January 27, 2023, 04:12:28 PM »
Dude hasn’t had a hit in a while for talking so big.

That said, the Bebop show should’ve at least asked for him to consult and get some feedback earlier on. Then again when they remake Hollywood movies 20 years later they never consult the original director so…

I’m still of the impression if Viscious had a different actor the show would’ve been received fine. Dude’s punchable face sunk the whole show.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 04:22:47 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #10934 on: February 14, 2023, 12:43:49 AM »
I watched Chainsaw Man because the hype and since I’m subbed to Crunchyroll and caught up on the shows I’m watching.

It was good, but idk didn’t get the “best ever” hype. Maybe because it felt pretty standard shounen which I’m very over at this point. Really well animated and well directed. Good character stuff, but the fights were kind of stupid and not really satisfying wins, just BS wins mostly. Kinda feels like an edgier Bleach with the devils looking kinda like Bleach monsters and the main guy looking like Ichigo.

It’s also like a really downer world and there’s no likeable characters. I prefer things a little less grimdark like FMA.

I liked it enough that I’ll watch S2, but not enough to be interested in reading the manga. Probably the most interesting bit of the show was wondering how the fuck this runs in Shounen Jump because with all the violence and gore you’d think it’d run in a seinen magazine like Berserk/Hellsing. This has to be the most violent comic ever in Shounen Jump?

Himu

« Reply #10935 on: February 20, 2023, 05:35:33 PM »
Leiji Matsumoto RIP :tocry
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10936 on: February 21, 2023, 08:24:20 AM »
I watched Chainsaw Man because the hype and since I’m subbed to Crunchyroll and caught up on the shows I’m watching.

It was good, but idk didn’t get the “best ever” hype. Maybe because it felt pretty standard shounen which I’m very over at this point. Really well animated and well directed. Good character stuff, but the fights were kind of stupid and not really satisfying wins, just BS wins mostly. Kinda feels like an edgier Bleach with the devils looking kinda like Bleach monsters and the main guy looking like Ichigo.

It’s also like a really downer world and there’s no likeable characters. I prefer things a little less grimdark like FMA.

I liked it enough that I’ll watch S2, but not enough to be interested in reading the manga. Probably the most interesting bit of the show was wondering how the fuck this runs in Shounen Jump because with all the violence and gore you’d think it’d run in a seinen magazine like Berserk/Hellsing. This has to be the most violent comic ever in Shounen Jump?

I'm with you on this- I read the entire manga first story arc and while I liked it a lot and read through it all, it didn't strike me as one of the best ever manga released.  I also thought the story just fell off after the first arc and haven't read it since, but will go back and see if it has gotten better.

Similarly, I'm not really feeling the new JoJo manga.  It felt like Part V all over again.  But there's only one chapter out right now so will see how it progresses.
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #10937 on: February 21, 2023, 09:56:34 AM »
Anime fans and gamers are the same level of ridiculous. Chainsaw Man is a fun show, but "best ever" for something this early on is a stretch. Don't take these statements seriously.

Himu

« Reply #10938 on: February 21, 2023, 10:33:53 AM »
Best ever what is Chainsaw Man even supposed to be?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10939 on: February 21, 2023, 01:56:22 PM »
Shonen series about a guy that just wants to touch a boob before he dies.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #10940 on: February 21, 2023, 07:04:48 PM »
Better than Golden Boy?
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #10941 on: February 21, 2023, 07:13:34 PM »
I wouldn't compare it to Golden Boy at all.

Bebpo

« Reply #10942 on: February 21, 2023, 07:49:23 PM »
Better than Golden Boy?

It's not a comedy though it has some comedic moments.

It's a pretty grim dark shounen go fight monsters and people who work for monsters and extremely violent and survival rate for monster hunters in the world is very low so lots of death.

When not fighting monsters, characters get good development.

Maybe closest thing would be Gantz? Gantz x Bleach or something. It's just weird that it runs in Shounen Jump given that it's more like Gantz which is Seinen.

Himu

« Reply #10943 on: February 21, 2023, 08:34:33 PM »
Sounds like Demon Slayer and Dororo. I doubt it's better than Dororo.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10944 on: February 21, 2023, 11:44:26 PM »
I don't get calling Chainsaw Man the best ever.

But the show is good because the surreal writing is somehow full of personality, style, and yet very relatable. In a way unlike most anime regardless of how crazy the story is, the characters feel more human than many anime characters.

It also has great art, animation, direction, and presentation.

The plotting is a little lacking I think, but I also sometimes feel like that is on purpose. It's an odd vibe show and the story does not feel as important as the feel.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10946 on: March 19, 2023, 09:27:39 PM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #10947 on: April 07, 2023, 05:29:21 PM »
Finished Trigun Stampede

That was weird. It's like a few ep intro, one short so-so story arc over 2-3 eps about Wolfwood and then 4-5 eps finale. The finale is fine (but different story than the manga/past anime) and the show has some great animation, but it feels like the entire journey was missing because ...12 eps. As someone that read the manga it's really hard for me to judge the show. It's not bad, but didn't really satisfy what I want out of a Trigun show.

And then it's all a setup for doing another season in the future that's entirely an original story next time? But still using some pieces of the manga they didn't use in this show? Just weird.

I guess the reason Stampede is the way it is, is probably that Studio Orange couldn't get funding for more than a 12ep season and there's no way to do Trigun Maximum's story in 12eps, so instead they tried doing this weird re-imagining thing of an original story using parts of the manga and its characters.

Art, animation and music were all great. Studio Orange is quality. I just feel like 12eps made what they tried to do impossible, so it's just sorta alright. I'd be interested in seeing what people who haven't experienced any Trigun before and go in totally fresh feel about the show as a whole and if it works for them.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10949 on: May 10, 2023, 10:46:15 AM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #10950 on: August 20, 2023, 02:25:09 AM »
Gundam Witch from Mercury S2 was fucking terrible.

First season was great. S2 did the usual Sunrise anime thing like OO S2, Code Geass S2 where the writing just jumps the shark and goes full stupid plotlines with terrible characters and nonsense turns left and right.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10951 on: August 20, 2023, 09:38:58 AM »
I thought the first season was garbage. I think the show in general is garbage. Don’t understand the hype of that show.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10952 on: August 20, 2023, 03:36:24 PM »
the devil is a part timer got a second season. now I have to go back and rewatch the end of the first because I don't remember what happened  :brain

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10953 on: August 21, 2023, 12:09:11 PM »
the devil is a part timer got a second season. now I have to go back and rewatch the end of the first because I don't remember what happened  :brain

He cooked the hamburgers.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #10954 on: August 22, 2023, 02:49:32 AM »
Finally watched One Piece Red. It was solid. For these filler shounen anime movies, it's pretty decent even if it's not an action/fight movie. Has some good moments and feels. Well animated and good pacing.

Polident Hive

« Reply #10955 on: August 22, 2023, 09:20:57 AM »
On a similar note, the other day I rewatched the first three Dragon Ball Z movies. What’s immediately different between older and newer shounen anime movies, is that the newer ones are actual movies.

Those DBZ movies are about 40 minutes long. Not much in the way of story or characters. Just loosely connected surprisingly well choreographed and animated fights. I wanna read more into the production. Some scenes are excellent.

The only One Piece content I’ve seen (so far) was the sixth movie, and yeah, it was an actual movie. Even the latest Dragon Ball movie is a movie.

Himu

« Reply #10956 on: August 22, 2023, 10:57:25 AM »
DBZ movies were just about the fights and nothing in the way of story.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #10957 on: October 15, 2023, 11:03:27 AM »

Tuckers Law

Polident Hive

« Reply #10959 on: December 04, 2023, 11:37:24 AM »
Got in the mood again and ended up watching the rest of the Dragon Ball Z movies, up until 12.

Different history and nostalgia with everything after those first three. Those were dubbed and aired on TV. The rest, it was shitty VHS recordings with Japanese-to-Chinese-to-English translated subs my buddy had. Or real media video files. Names were Bejita and Kururin and it'd change movie to movie. Anyway, they're almost all the same the movie, with some major dips in animation quality and creative fights.

Movie 4. Slugg and not quite super saiyan. Some cool moments. Fighting in a small village, crashing through windows and trucks. After a point it's empty terrain or fighting in the air.

Movie 5. Cooler. Some peak badass moments. Cooler's shredder form is intimidating and awesome and the quality is there. Like flying through of a kamehameha to punch Goku in the face. Or the minor fight of Piccolo vs the light saber goon flying through the forest.

Movie 6. Metal Cooler. Outside of Vegeta's intro, it's the worst so far. The animation quality is sloppy and all the fighting is on a flat open field. Boring.

Movie 7. Super Android. Piccolo using a suplex on the android is the best part. There's a theme in all these where Vegeta gets a cool intro and is immediately wrecked. That actually happens twice here. I do like the gag parts of this and the next movie where you see ordinary life.

Movie 8. Broly. This is the most one of these tried having a plot so far. Not great. Once Broly gets going, it's just him beating everybody while Vegeta pees his pants about it. The animation and all isn't there for make the nonstop fighting entertaining. The newer Broly movie is all fighting too but it's animated really well and awesome.

Movie 9. Bojack. The battle royale tournament in the opening is fun. It has some creative locations and fights throughout. I recall people always down on this one, but it's the one I liked most since Cooler 1.

Movie 10 and 11. Broly 2 and 3. Lumping these together. Both bad.

Movie 12. Gogeta. It's all a gag movie until the 30 seconds of Gogeta. It's great. Fat Gogeta farts on the villain. Gohan one punches Freeza. Goten and Trucks fight Hitler. It knows what it is.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #10960 on: December 08, 2023, 11:40:36 PM »

Beezy

« Reply #10961 on: December 09, 2023, 04:55:57 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #10962 on: December 09, 2023, 07:54:22 PM »
I thought that was the live-action Gundam movie at first.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10963 on: March 07, 2024, 11:41:27 PM »
R.I.P. Akira Toriyama.
ど助平