Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1178212 times)

Tasty

Re: Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #360 on: March 16, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Isn't this like the fifth version of MGS3 anyways?

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
Its a franchise that very rarely graces nintendo consoles and seems to be a clumsy unpolished product.  Not surprised by the MGS3d numbers at all. 
sad

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:13 PM »
Launching just a couple of days ago on March 16, Apple reports that 3 million new iPads have already been sold. Around 1 million units of last year's iPad 2 were estimated to have been sold during its opening weekend.

And this is why in the grand scheme of things something like the vita is doomed.

Bebpo

« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
I dunno, if you go by that logic, all gaming is doomed that isn't Apple.

I do think Apple is going to hurt modern games a whole bunch, because it puts J6P in the mindset that videogames are these little 5 min time waster apps for $1-5, and not 20 hour movie-wannabe adventure spectaculars.

But that just brings us full circle to the early days of console gaming and in another 10 years we'll be back at cinematic 60 hour long AAA titles on your phone.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:37:00 PM by Bebpo »

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #364 on: March 19, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »
People aren't buying ipads as primary gaming platforms anymore than people buy computers as primary gaming platforms.  Iphones/Itouches?  Sure.  They do a good job of realigning people's expectations for the handheld market.
sad

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #365 on: March 21, 2012, 04:48:08 PM »
Poor Vita is so awesome.

Oblivion

« Reply #366 on: March 21, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »
Some time last year, someone posted some screens that showed MGS 3DS was nothing like the cool looking demo, and in fact was as ugly as one of those terrible third party racing games for the Wii that everyone likes to post when making fun its graphics. I haven't seen anything from the game since, but if it's anything like it was, then it deserved to bomb.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #367 on: March 21, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »
If graphics were an attribute needed for games on a Nintendo platform to succeed, none would.

Tasty

« Reply #368 on: March 21, 2012, 11:06:02 PM »
Some time last year, someone posted some screens that showed MGS 3DS was nothing like the cool looking demo, and in fact was as ugly as one of those terrible third party racing games for the Wii that everyone likes to post when making fun its graphics. I haven't seen anything from the game since, but if it's anything like it was, then it deserved to bomb.

Many people in the GAF sales thread were saying it exceeded expectations.

It didn't meet mine but there you have it.

« Reply #369 on: March 22, 2012, 12:39:23 AM »
Some people in the GAF Media Create threads are fucking insane and care more about numbers than actually playing games, so take that as you will.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #370 on: March 22, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
Some people in the GAF Media Create threads are fucking insane and care more about numbers than actually playing games, so take that as you will.

...was that, umm, some kind of attempt at discrediting their opinion of MGS3D's sales? If it is, it came off petty.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #371 on: March 22, 2012, 01:18:52 AM »
I read manga/comics, watch anime/tv/movies, eat out with friends a ton, watch sports with friends, speak with friends on twatter/msn/gtalk every damn day yet I find time to buy and play a load of games as well. In fact I just ordered 6 new games

Oblivion

« Reply #372 on: March 22, 2012, 03:11:05 AM »
Yay, that old bullshit again.  ::)

People interested in numbers are if anything more likely to play more games than those who aren't, because the meta-game of clearing games becomes a numbers-based activity in and of itself.  I can't speak for everyone on there, but I can vouch that most of the old number-crunchers from the Media Create threads play more games than most people around here, by a longshot.

I'm one of those people who said MGS sold better than I was expecting.  Are you going to tell me I don't play games? 

I really get annoyed by that attitude.  Yeah, these guys spend a lot of time reading sales data and doing graphs.  You spend a lot of time watching cartoons about giant robots.  Does that affect how many games you play?  Or is it a separate hobby that you can somehow manage to juggle?

:bow Sales-age/bore :bow2

I don't get the consistent bitching for the sales stuff. Has anyone here seen the NPD threads recently? Back in the good ole days, when they were posted, the thread would increase by 2 pages every minute. Now? I was checking out one recent thread where it maxed out at 11 pages. That was after a WEEK!  :'(

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #373 on: March 22, 2012, 04:37:19 AM »
Just wait for next gen man, shit will be crazy.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #374 on: March 22, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »
Mr Gundam has some weird fixation on Andrex. 
sad

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #375 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07:50 AM »
Stolen from gaf

Grasshopper considering Shadows of the Damned sequel
 By Martin Robinson Published 22 March, 2012
 EA would "probably" be behind it.

Eurogamer asked Yamaoka whether, considering the lacklustre sales of Shadows of the Damned, a sequel's still likely.

"I'm thinking of a sequel, actually," came Yamaoka's short reply. "I can't tell you here, but clearly I'd like to."

Asked whether it's something that EA, who worked in partnership with Grasshopper on Shadows of the Damned, would back any sequel, Yamaoka's reply was equally curt, if a little more definitive. "Probably," he said, before conceding: "Well, yes."

:lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #376 on: March 23, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
Sales guys, I need your expertise! I keep running into this theory by Ninthings that Nintendo kept the gaming market alive this gen by providing a cheaper development option for devs. I find this hard to believe, my perception from glancing over sales threads have always been Nintendo platforms have not generated significant revenue for publishers other than Nintendo themselves (apart from SEGA i think). Hasnt the 360 really been the money maker for third parties? Also isn't PC a more profitable platform for smaller sided projects than the Wii?

tl;dr Anyone have numbers showing Nintendo are actually generating significant revenue for third parties that could not be had on 360/PS3/PC?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #377 on: March 23, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Sales guys, I need your expertise! I keep running into this theory by Ninthings that Nintendo kept the gaming market alive this gen by providing a cheaper development option for devs.

They are idiots. Nintendo made a lot of money for themselves with the Wii. But Third Parties have always disliked them because the only reason people buy Nintendo hardware is to buy Nintendo games.

edit: This is an exaggeration of course but one with a lot of truth.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:59:32 PM by Stoney Mason »

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #378 on: March 23, 2012, 05:52:53 PM »
Did Shadows of the Damned sell well? That game was pretty disappointing, don't think I'd play a sequel unless it has a director who has made good games in the past.
BiSH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #379 on: March 23, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »
Did Shadows of the Damned sell well? That game was pretty disappointing, don't think I'd play a sequel unless it has a director who has made good games in the past.

No

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/07/shadows-of-the-damned-director-talks-slow-sales-single-player-titles/1#.T2zw9TEgcgk

I played the first couple of levels and liked the atmosphere of it but I haven't had time to get back to it.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #380 on: March 23, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »
They are idiots. Nintendo made a lot of money for themselves with the Wii. But Third Parties have always disliked them because the only reason people buy Nintendo hardware is to buy Nintendo games.
This is my perception of the scenario as well. I'm not knowledgeable about sales, so I couldn't tell for sure. It's weird that this mindset/self delusion is so widespread when it should easily (?) be proven true or false by looking at sales data for the platform. I dont know where to get the number myself sadly :(

It sold about 5 copies worldwide, all to the same guy

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #381 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
yeah, I figured it sold terribly, so I thought it was weird to see Yamaoka say that EA would back a sequel. I figure they'd want nothing to do with it.
BiSH

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #382 on: March 23, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
I posted it here for that reason, it's laughable :lol

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #383 on: March 23, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »
Nintendo was responsible for most of the GROWTH of the industry during the the primetime of the wii/ds, we have hard numbers to back that up.  Their consoles were breaking records, the software too.  Looking back its insane how much publishers withheld their wares. 
sad

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #384 on: March 24, 2012, 02:08:12 AM »
Thank you sales wizards :3

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #385 on: March 24, 2012, 03:44:14 AM »
there's a lot of smaller-medium devs that still haven't made an HD game.  They've either stuck to making iOS/handheld games with an occasional Wii outing or otherwise.

I mean, Atlus didn't have an HD game till 2011, but they did make three Wii games up til then (luv dem Trauma Centers), and Atlus USA put out games from Sting, Chunsoft and Nordcurrent, all still HD virgins.  Majesco put out a shitload of original and exclusive Wii games, all from smaller developers who haven't done much in the way of 'real' games.  Hudson Soft went to their grave not making an HD game (discounting downloadable Bomberman), maybe they should have.  Marvelous Ent bet big on the Wii, which blew up in their faces, but they're still alive and around, an HD slate that big tanking would have probably killed them.

I'm sure there's more examples out there.  I think that's actually kind of a tragic element of the Wii, it could have been the home of many great studios simply because the HD stakes are too high, but precious few of the ambitious games that did come out for the system were ever successful.  If it was the system that sold millions of copies of The Sky Crawlers and Tatsunoko vs Capcom rather then Dance Game 2 and Fitness Game 14, we'd have a much more interesting game market.

ps
just read Oscar the Grouch's post, he said what I was thinking much more quickly and efficiently.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #386 on: March 24, 2012, 05:10:34 AM »
Maybe for shovelware companies this is true.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #387 on: March 24, 2012, 05:41:00 AM »
Sales guys, I need your expertise! I keep running into this theory by Ninthings that Nintendo kept the gaming market alive this gen by providing a cheaper development option for devs.

The real question is what makes game development expensive?

I would agree with above quote if Nintendo could shit out games like Mass Effect 3(full production values intact) for half of 360 ME3 dev costs.

That would be a game changer.
cat

« Reply #388 on: March 24, 2012, 06:38:13 AM »
The Wii itself didn't do much for anybody but Nintendo, but the idea that development is dangerously expensive on higher-end platforms is sound.  It's also hysterical to suggest that people just buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games - but it is true that people bought the DS and Wii for the games Nintendo made.
ǚ

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #389 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »
I think the easiest way to fail on the Wii was to try to port a PS3/360 game to it, but try to squeeze the controls onto the waggler.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #390 on: March 28, 2012, 05:44:21 PM »
Japan stuff:

Vita still holding at 10k
Kid Icarus sold 132k in first week
dog

Tasty

« Reply #391 on: March 28, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
Japan stuff:

Vita still holding at 10k
Kid Icarus sold 132k in first week

Decent numbers for both (relative to expectations :teehee)

Tasty

« Reply #392 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
er, Kid Icarus is a frigging smash relative to expectations, Andrex.  Game is sold out *everywhere*.  Nobody, not the retailers, not Nintendo expected it to do so well.

Oh. Well I guess that's what I guess for reading GAF. "Nintendo can't be happy the game only sold that much its first week." <- Actual paraphrased GAF quote

Hope this means a sequel with better controls.

To me it kinda always seemed like a sure thing, at least in Japan. I just had to look at the character art to know that. Japanese fangirls :uguu-ing all over Pit.

Tasty

« Reply #393 on: March 28, 2012, 10:41:29 PM »
I just quickly skimmed the Media Create thread, and there was *one* guy saying "not the hottest debut, but not so bad" amid *everyone else* talking about how it completely sold out and did really well.  If you look at a crowd of 50 people and only notice the one guy saying something bad, you've got a problem.  A PROBLEM IN THE BRAIN.

My brain has been trained to single out the Nintendo-disparaging posts. It's a real problem especially in the last few years when I've tried to become not so much of a fanboy. :fbm

Anyways, the post in question:

Quote from: Laguna
I doubt Nintendo will be too happy with Kid Icarus first week sales. It will be interesting to see if it will have any legs.

After most of the preceding posts being "eh OK for Kid Icarus."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:43:00 PM by Andrex »

Tasty

« Reply #394 on: March 28, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »
Oh well that was the one that kept coming up in my subs and I didn't see anyone overtly advertise the new thread, so here we are. Like I've made mention of before, I rarely venture into the actual forums unless I'm super bored.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #395 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »
Somehow I doubt the game will have legs, but maybe my wrists are just limp and weak and the majority of the population will be able to tolerate it.  But like I said, I'm happy for it, now get the series on wii u.  Sakurai will probably be busy for 3 years with smash though.
sad

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #396 on: March 28, 2012, 11:43:07 PM »
Angry Birds Space was downloaded 10m times in like four days.  How does it feel to lose to that, Ninthings?
yar

Tasty

« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2012, 11:46:51 PM »
Angry Birds Space was downloaded 10m times in like four days.  How does it feel to lose to that, Ninthings?

Considering it's free (on the platforms that matter) there really isn't much of a comparison.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #398 on: March 29, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »
Whats the development costs on a Pokemon game?
itm

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #399 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
well gravity daze sold 100k it seems

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #400 on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:57 AM »
Whats the development costs on a Pokemon game?
12 donuts, 3 packs of gum and 4 buckets of coffee 

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #401 on: March 29, 2012, 12:32:48 AM »
Angry Birds in Space (first four days, worldwide sales):
10,000,000 * $0.99 =
$9,900,000

Pokemon Black/White (first month NA + first week JP sales):
((2,500,000 * $34.99) + (2,500,000 * ¥4800)) = $87,475,000 + ¥12,000,000,000 (about $140,400,000 at the time) =

$227,875,000

That's the kind of losing you should be aspiring for, Triumph.

Ahwawawawaawah.  I hope he comes back.

edit: Ooh oooh, can I contribute?!  Assuming they were making money on the given hardware (which i know isnt the case with 3ds), pokemon is a known system seller.  Being first party software means revenue from the game itself and the system sold.  Furthermore gamefreak are the asset recycler kings and the next copypastas sell millions further.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:36:01 AM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

« Reply #402 on: March 29, 2012, 01:13:49 AM »
Vita is fucking dead.
ǚ

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #403 on: March 29, 2012, 01:15:38 AM »
Whatever ninthings, I hope it feels good to cling to a dying publisher who shits out shitty shit out of their shithole.
yar

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #404 on: March 29, 2012, 01:19:40 AM »
Wahwahwah, I can't argue with maths.  Wahwahwah I don't like this thing so it will surely die. Wahwahwah why can't I have hair again.
sad

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2012, 01:31:00 AM »
Boo hoo, I'm not the one who clings to Nintendo like an autistic child to his favorite stuffed animal.

...or who thought Wii Music was a game.  And no, reminding your stupid ass of that never gets old.
yar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #406 on: March 29, 2012, 02:12:51 AM »
Vita is fucking dead.
Not until the SEGA Nomad II launches

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #407 on: March 29, 2012, 02:23:23 AM »
Looks like Vita is gonna need a massive price cut on the system or the memory cards to survive beyond two years.  The system looks so cool.  It's too bad there still aren't enough good games for me to get one. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #408 on: March 29, 2012, 04:00:29 AM »
Whatever ninthings, I hope it feels good to cling to a dying publisher who shits out shitty shit out of their shithole.

And your chosen weapon to attack the guys who are shitting out shitty shit out of their shithole is... Angry Birds?

Hey man, those things are ANGRY.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #409 on: April 04, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
So apparently KH 3D bombed? Or pseudo bombed, 213k* or something.

Personally I think it will have great legs but who knows the future.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #410 on: April 04, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »

You're getting philosophical now that you've hit your teens.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #411 on: April 04, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »
Seems like people are getting tired all these spinoffs that S-E has been doing. I know I got sick of all those remakes and spinoffs back last gen. Stick to core games please S-E.
^_^

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #412 on: April 04, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »
umm honest question here but is there any game that reached a million other than mario kart and mario land?
maybe that hatsune miku game? love plus?
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #413 on: April 04, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »
umm honest question here but is there any game that reached a million other than mario kart and mario land?

Monster Hunter
dog

Tasty

« Reply #414 on: April 04, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »

You're getting philosophical now that you've hit your teens.

I think, therefore I like Nintendo.

Eh, good games for a known brand in a proven genre for a platform usually have decent legs, unless I'm mistaken.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #415 on: April 04, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »

Monster Hunter

really? haven't the japanese bought it twice already? no wonder capcom release so many itsy-bitsy revisions
<----

Bebpo

« Reply #416 on: April 04, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
KH bombed because it's a cheaply and quickly thrown together crossover geeky fangasm arpg that's probably the first "chapter" in another game

and it released 7 days prior to

A polished crossover geeky fangasm srpg that is the last half/finale to another game (Super Robot Wars Z2-2)

I think there's a large crossover audience between the two, and Z2-2 is much more anticipated and is going to outsell KH next week.  And normally KH games outsell SRW games (500-700k vs. 300-500k).

But that's just my opinion as a fan of crossover geeky fangasm rpgs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:05:51 PM by Bebpo »

Tasty

« Reply #417 on: April 04, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
Eh? Nothing I've seen has convinced my that DDD isn't a well made, polished, content-packed game.

Bebpo

« Reply #418 on: April 04, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
I'm playing it and it definitely feels way cheaper than BBS or KH1/2.  It's a higher budget, more polished production than either of the DS games but it feels somewhere in the middle between the DS games and BBS.  Probably because it had a year less development time than BBS so it's lacking the polish.  The graphics, the cutscenes, the menus, the camera, all seem worse than BBS.

The gameplay otoh, seems genuinely a step up from BBS (the current best KH combat) and so it seems like a lengthy fun game.  But it just seems to lack that visual polish that extra $$$ and dev time would provide.  Plus they're reaching into the bottom of the barrel Disney franchises with this one whereas BBS has Stich (huge in Japan) and the famous princess movies.

I consider myself representative of the more hardcore KH fanbase, and KH3D is "ok" but it's not really an impressive entry from what I've seen and played.  BBS was one.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 05:14:24 PM by Bebpo »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #419 on: April 04, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »
doesn't it have like a great total of 6 world? some of which feature recycled content? (like pinocchio) it rather seems to tend more on the half-assed side than on the good one
<----