Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1181216 times)

Corporal

Re: Next-Gen Sales Thread |OT| We already sold all the sales. Sorry.
« Reply #8220 on: January 18, 2018, 08:52:27 PM »
So, even a slowpoke like me has seen the recent NPD numbers (12/2017 and all/2017).

I am pleased with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 selling well. Did OK in Japan, did OK in USA, who cares about Europe because we still bang rocks together when it comes to cross-country sales tracking. Too lazy to scrounge together data from multiple sources, besides, nobody cares anyway.

....So many "as a service" and lootbox games. We will be dragging that crap along with us for a good while, huh. It's just crazy how well CoDWW2 is doing. That's gotta be a whole shitton of lootbox money.
!list

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8221 on: January 18, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
I care goddamnit

kingv

« Reply #8222 on: January 18, 2018, 09:53:08 PM »
Horizon zero dawn was a pretty damn popular exclusive game on sale for most of the year on a much larger install base and it got smoked by at least 3 Switch exclusives, physical vs physical+digital.

That’s pretty crazy when you think about it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8223 on: January 18, 2018, 10:03:12 PM »
Horizon was also better than any of those Switch exclusives so clearly quality doesn't mean anything.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8224 on: January 18, 2018, 10:46:19 PM »
Nah, at the very least Zelda was better than Horizon.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8225 on: January 18, 2018, 11:08:39 PM »
I don't even know what the other Switch exclusives are. I just wanted to make a troll post because I don't like the Switch or Nintendo.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8226 on: January 18, 2018, 11:10:15 PM »
I don't even know what the other Switch exclusives are. I just wanted to make a troll post because I don't like the Switch or Nintendo.

Ok
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8227 on: January 18, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »
:sheik

kingv

« Reply #8228 on: January 18, 2018, 11:24:23 PM »
I have tried a few times to get into Horizon. It’s too Ubi-esque to me. Couldn’t get into it at all.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8229 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:44 PM »
I guess Horizon is Ubi-esque a bit, but not really.

It has a fully focused single player that is filled with unqiue cutscenes, missions, dungeons, whatever you name it. The single player doesn't feel copy and pasted, it feels like someone gave a damn and carefully thought it out.

It's side activities are also not awful or overwhelming in number. The dungeons are few, but all unique in whats inside them. Each one also unlocks new things you can do to the robo dinos. The Long Neck things are also few in number and also usually in unique areas. It also doesn't feel pointless to do them.

The raider camp things are the most Ubisoftish, but they are at least tied to a side quest with it's own story.

If anythng it felt like someone made a Ubisoft game except actually good and not with a bunch of garbage content and fat that just crowds out the map.

I don't know when I think of open world Ubisoft game I think of a map with a millions of shit on it, a boring copy and paste mission design, and pretty much nothing but repeated thoughtless content. Which is not Horizon at all.

Also the game understands pacing, unlike most open world games where it's here is the open world whatever.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:39:06 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Tasty

« Reply #8230 on: January 19, 2018, 12:02:11 AM »
Starting to think Nintendo's success isn't due to the Switch or shit. It's literally cause Zelda and Mario are rad as fuck. If Zelda was exclusive to Wii U and they did a Wii U revision (possibly substituting a cooler name) at the same time, the Wii U would have sold as much this year as the Switch.

Always knew games are just what mattered. In consumers' eyes, the Wii U had the lamest generation of Nintendo home console software ever. Switch is a 180 in that sense.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #8231 on: January 19, 2018, 05:23:40 AM »
Eh. It's a Nintendo tablet. Name recognition and guaranteed software support. Also great for people who want to replace their DS and for parents to give to children who've been pacified by iPads as toddlers. It's what the Wii U should have been in the first place, but maybe the tech wasn't there (or cheap enough).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8232 on: January 19, 2018, 01:38:20 PM »
If the Wii U had launched with those games, things might have been different. But it was too far gone by 2017 [or, really, 2015] for a couple of really great games to save it. The Switch shed off the baggage and started fresh with a killer first-year lineup, along with it being much more portable and versatile than the Wii U.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #8233 on: January 19, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »
Retroactively makes the Wii U even worse, like the prototype that should never have gotten out.

kingv

« Reply #8234 on: January 19, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »
i Definitely think, for Nintendo especially, you gotta have that “must play” game to get people in the door for year 1 and catch some momentum.

Honestly, Wii U’s first year is mostly notable for how most of the Nintendo Published games were B and C tier franchises.

Wii Party U or Wii Fit U would not have seemed so bad had it been bookended by a new 3D Zelda and Kart or smash or 3D Mario.

It just seems terrible because those were basically the high points of year 1.

Also, the 2 screen gimmick was just not as good as expected. Not many games did I give a shit about the tablet. Mostly, I played everything on a pro controller, and the games that required 2 screens really made it too confusing. On a DS you can see both screens at the same time, but when I have one in my lap and one on my tv, it’s very difficult to keep track of both.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8235 on: January 19, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »
Retroactively makes the Wii U even worse, like the prototype that should never have gotten out.
Iwata had the right idea when he wanted to drop the GamePad.

Wii U really was the beta test for the Switch.
🤴

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #8236 on: January 23, 2018, 04:48:31 PM »

With the Switch you had hardware with an understandable appeal and clear message with what looked like Nintendo's most ambitious games in almost a decade. Switch is Nintendo understanding the market, the Wii U is them hoping the branding is enough.

And then you'll have them sitting on shelves collecting dust just like Wii's did.

I'll never understand Nintendo fans.

agrajag

« Reply #8237 on: January 28, 2018, 10:58:24 PM »
Yeah, and the Wii sold because of Twilight Princess. Sure, Jan.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #8238 on: January 31, 2018, 02:13:55 AM »
Here, some numbers

Nintendo LTD

NSW 14.8M
SMO 9M
MK8D 7.3M
BOTW 6.7M
SPL2 4.9M

MHW (First week, Japan, PS4 only) 1.35M

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8239 on: January 31, 2018, 02:19:29 AM »
 :pitbull

Fifstar

« Reply #8240 on: January 31, 2018, 04:38:01 AM »
 :aah
Gulp

archie4208

« Reply #8241 on: January 31, 2018, 05:12:07 AM »
:bow Monster Hunter :bow2
:bow Nintendo :bow2

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8242 on: January 31, 2018, 05:55:02 AM »
I rank Odyssey below sunshine, 64 and galaxy

Clockwork5

« Reply #8243 on: January 31, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
I miss the cat suit from 3DW. I hope they make another one of those. I guess a port would be alright but I played the shit out of that game and crave some new blood.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8244 on: January 31, 2018, 05:06:46 PM »
Odyssey notching a 60% attach rate is pretty insane.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8245 on: January 31, 2018, 05:36:04 PM »
I'm happily part of that 40%.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8246 on: January 31, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »
Okay.
dog

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #8247 on: January 31, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
Odyssey notching a 60% attach rate is pretty insane.

Indeed.

And i still haven't played my copy yet  :lol :lol :lol :lol

:snoop

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8248 on: January 31, 2018, 07:35:33 PM »
Also, it wasn't mentioned in the previous post with the Switch sales numbers, but Xenoblade is just over 1 million worldwide. Numbers for the other two Xenoblades aren't readily available, but I did some rough math/estimations and came away with maybe 500k for each, so this would be really good news for the series.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #8249 on: February 01, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »
I think its really bad news if the feedback they get this is the art style people like  :-\

Raist

« Reply #8250 on: February 01, 2018, 02:07:24 AM »
Also, it wasn't mentioned in the previous post with the Switch sales numbers, but Xenoblade is just over 1 million worldwide. Numbers for the other two Xenoblades aren't readily available, but I did some rough math/estimations and came away with maybe 500k for each, so this would be really good news for the series.

Yeah, didn't think people would care :yeshrug

FWIW, the next best selling title after BOTW is 1-2 Switch at 1.9M.

bluemax

« Reply #8251 on: February 01, 2018, 04:19:06 AM »

It makes me angry because I bought so many games for the stupid Wii U, and didn't finish most of them (except Zelda) and now I wish they were on Switch but there's no fucking way I'm rebuying them.
NO

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #8252 on: February 01, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »
'Dragon Ball FighterZ shipments and digital sales top two million ' :rejoice

Corporal

« Reply #8253 on: February 01, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »
Those Monster Hunter World numbers are dang nice. I still dare say it was a braindead decision to bet the farm on such a radical departure from the norm, but at least it paid off.

Also rather relieved that neither the franchise nor the company seems to have suffered much from the transition.

The amount of people finally giving the franchise a honest look just because it finally got pushed down their gullets on their shiny HD boxes is hilarious, though.
!list

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8254 on: February 01, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
I mean I don’t play handhelds and playing an action game on a handheld has never been fun. So of course I’m going to try a new Capcom game if it’s on consoles.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #8255 on: February 01, 2018, 04:07:57 PM »
I think its really bad news if the feedback they get this is the art style people like  :-\
They should just not make anymore Xenoblade games if so.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8256 on: February 01, 2018, 04:53:09 PM »
:trumps
dog

bluemax

« Reply #8257 on: February 02, 2018, 01:18:59 AM »
Those Monster Hunter World numbers are dang nice. I still dare say it was a braindead decision to bet the farm on such a radical departure from the norm, but at least it paid off.

Also rather relieved that neither the franchise nor the company seems to have suffered much from the transition.

The amount of people finally giving the franchise a honest look just because it finally got pushed down their gullets on their shiny HD boxes is hilarious, though.

What is so radically different about it? The beta felt like the same game it has always been just with two sticks and prettier graphics.
NO

archie4208

« Reply #8258 on: February 02, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »

What is so radically different about it? The beta felt like the same game it has always been just with two sticks and prettier graphics.
You no longer get hand cramps when playing for more than 30 minutes.  :teehee

Raist

« Reply #8259 on: February 02, 2018, 03:47:01 PM »
Soony making mad bank.

Q3 gaming revenue up 16%, profit up 70%.

Kaz Hirai stepping down as CEO, replaced by Yoshida. (no, not Shu).

Corporal

« Reply #8260 on: February 03, 2018, 03:16:03 AM »
Two sticks ain't new. :doge

Before this, Monster Hunter was an almost certain Handheld exclusive. Sure, they repeatedly and half-assedly tried to get back to their console roots with Tri etc, but in the end the most sales and their target demographic resided firmly in the handheld sector. Slowly declining sales, yes, but still.

Bonus: The step away from a rigidly segmented world towards a sandboxy setup leads to a radical rework of internal logic, and the accompanying tweaks are quite substantial. And yes, "HD graphics" and production values. It may still be a Monster Hunter, but this time they pretty much had to rejigger all the innards. (Please note, I'm not trying to diminish the effort that went into the handheld games, but the scope is clearly different - even on the bloated "big franchise" level.)

It was a substantial risk to go all-in like that with a mainline entry, platform and "mobility" change and simultaneous tweaks to the formula and presentation, however minor they seem. Granted: we will probably never know of their plan B and C, unless a suspiciously over-polished or obviously-held-back release on another platform shows up out of the blue later on. So who knows with how much confidence they took this leap of faith. A leap of faith it was, nonetheless. (Substitute desperation or whatever you see fit)
!list

kingv

« Reply #8261 on: February 05, 2018, 12:32:26 AM »
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Monster hunter have sort of a dual track approach, where there is one sort of switch version alongside the ps4 version.

Frankly it could probably be the same game with worse graphics.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8264 on: February 09, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
That's a whole lot of boring

Tasty

« Reply #8265 on: February 09, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
That's a whole lot of boring

Fuck you? :idont

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8266 on: February 09, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »
I'm not gonna keep pretending to like these trash games, they're not exclusive to nintendo anymore

Tasty

« Reply #8267 on: February 10, 2018, 12:18:37 AM »
I'm not gonna keep pretending to like these trash games, they're not exclusive to nintendo anymore

With this post, Tasty Meat gazes upon the abyss.

Fuck you!  :rage

Beezy

« Reply #8268 on: February 10, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
No DBZ numbers yet?

Raist

« Reply #8269 on: February 10, 2018, 11:31:35 AM »
No DBZ numbers yet?

>2M shipped+digital

archie4208

« Reply #8270 on: February 21, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »
https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/21/january-npd-2018-monster-hunter-even-slays-beasts-like-call-of-duty-and-pubg/

Monster Hunter: World
    Dragon Ball: Fighterz
    Call of Duty: WWII
    PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds*
    Grand Theft Auto V
    NBA 2K18
    Super Mario Odyssey**
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild**
    Mario Kart 8**
    Madden NFL 18
    Star Wars: Battlefront II*
    Assassin’s Creed: Origins
    UFC 3
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege
    FIFA 18*
    Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
    The Sims 4*
    Splatoon 2**
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy NT
    Need for Speed: Payback*

Monster Hunter is mainstream baby.  :lawd

Tasty

« Reply #8271 on: February 21, 2018, 08:46:17 PM »
Finally :rejoice

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8272 on: February 22, 2018, 01:07:09 AM »
 :boring

Raist

« Reply #8273 on: February 22, 2018, 03:36:27 AM »
PlayStation 4, Switch and Xbox One all performed well in the month of January. The Nintendo Switch sold the most systems, but Sony’s PlayStation 4 generated the most revenue. In dollar sales, the gap between the top-selling platform and the third best-selling was only 3 percent.

Corporal

« Reply #8274 on: February 22, 2018, 06:25:29 AM »
January went smoothly in the US, it seems. Nice one. Something for everyone.

Not quite as excited for MonHan going mainstream since I'm more of a "I liked it before it was cool" whiner that will surely dislike where the game will go from now on with all the dirty casuals streaming in - but it's undeniably a good thing since it means the Capcom gamble paid off and the franchise has a future. I just hope my pessimistic fanboy ass will be thoroughly proven wrong in the future.

!list

Raist

« Reply #8275 on: February 22, 2018, 07:09:43 AM »
January went smoothly in the US, it seems. Nice one. Something for everyone.

Not quite as excited for MonHan going mainstream since I'm more of a "I liked it before it was cool" whiner that will surely dislike where the game will go from now on with all the dirty casuals streaming in - but it's undeniably a good thing since it means the Capcom gamble paid off and the franchise has a future. I just hope my pessimistic fanboy ass will be thoroughly proven wrong in the future.

We're talking about Capcom here. They make significant changes to their IPs once per decade. You'll be fine.

Raist

« Reply #8276 on: February 28, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2018/180228.html

Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced global sales of Horizon Zero Dawn™ have exceeded 7.6 million copies just one year since it launched exclusively on PlayStation®4 (PS4™)*1. The exceptional year-one-sales mark Horizon Zero Dawn as the most successful new first-party franchise launch on PS4. Horizon Zero Dawn was released on February 28, 2017 to widespread critical acclaim, winning numerous industry awards. 

Well deserved.

kingv

« Reply #8277 on: February 28, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »
I thought zero dawn was incredibly boring.

Probably why it hasn’t sold as well as Zelda  :paul

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8278 on: February 28, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
Horizon could get boring if you tried to do all the side quests and collection [like most Ubisoft-style open world games], but the main questline was good and hunting huge dino-bots was fun.
dog

Raist

« Reply #8279 on: March 01, 2018, 01:32:05 AM »
It's 30% off (35% with PS+) till March 6th btw.