Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1190747 times)

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
Re: Sales Talk Thread of Sales Talk and Only Sales Talk
« Reply #1680 on: December 05, 2012, 03:22:41 AM »
anyone who likes Smash Brothers needs to go play on the railway tracks

You are truly irredeemable.

Mario 64 was pretty crappy.  Probably the most overrated game this side of Animal Crossing.

My least favorite 3D Mario. Nice for what it is, but not much beyond that.

But I want to replay it soon to see if that opinion is close to the truth.

for not liking Smash? #shrug i don't think i'll be losing any sleep. Game is straight up gash. Here's 10p , go play on the lines son!

I didn't like mario 64 even at launch.

heh, each to their own - it just felt so incredible to me. The machine was basically built around the game and it shows. At the time, the way the game felt in terms of control was pretty spectacular. Levels were replayable, multiple goals, graphically interesting... i dunno, one of the greatest games ever made, especially in the time frame. Magical even.

O=X

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1681 on: December 05, 2012, 05:43:55 AM »
You can only understand Mario 64 if you also played or had a Saturn and PSX at the same time. The competition was 2.5d games like Crash and Bug, or things like Jumping Jack Flash.

Mario was a game changer, together with OOT. They shaped what we play today even.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1682 on: December 05, 2012, 05:48:25 AM »
I really liked Mario 64 but the last time I played it was back in 2004 when I bought the DS remake (which was awesome btw and you can get all 150 stars through the d-pad)  Not sure how it holds up but I'm sure I'd still like it.  Mario Kart 64 was the true embarrassment.  One of my favorite things to do was to explore and find all kinds of bugs and glitches in the game, of which there were several.  Nintendo should have felt bad for putting out that half finished game.  I guess they felt they needed to get something out there once people were getting bored with Mario and Pilotwings.

The N64 was great for a broke ass like myself that could only afford 2-3 games a year.  I had a lot of fun with it.  I missed almost the entirety of the PlayStation library, which I still need to get to remediating that via the Vita.  However at the time it isn't like even if I had a PlayStation I would have been caught up.  I received maybe $100 a year through presents, money from odd jobs, and trade-ins.  The N64 was more my speed.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #1683 on: December 05, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »
Did you play it at launch Andrex?

Very briefly, then not again until the DS launched and I got it for free in a bundle.

Beezy

« Reply #1684 on: December 05, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »
Do you guys still ever play with other peeps at your/their house?
Hardly. A friend came over this past weekend though and we played a couple Halo 4 matches online. Good times.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1685 on: December 05, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
Did you play it at launch Andrex?

Andrex wasn't even born yet when Mario 64 first came out.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1686 on: December 05, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »
Well this decade isn't like back then. Back then everyone didn't have a cell phone and even NERDS had active social lives.
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1687 on: December 05, 2012, 03:05:20 PM »

I play Fifa with friends whenever I can (this year 1 time, last year looaaads). I also play Walking Dead with my fiancee (well she watches advises).

Most of my friends don't play video games period.  The remaining few just noodle around with various iOS games like Bejeweled and Angry Birds.  Most women my age (mid-late 20s) disdain video games and video game players.  They tend to associate them with manchildren who aren't doing shit with their lives, even if they fritter it away on Facebook, Pinterest, reality shows, and rewatching Sex and the City for the 5000th time.

It's the main reason why I'm on forums: I can discuss nerdery with people who know what the hell I'm talking about.
🍆🍆

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1688 on: December 05, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »

I play Fifa with friends whenever I can (this year 1 time, last year looaaads). I also play Walking Dead with my fiancee (well she watches advises).

Most of my friends don't play video games period.  The remaining few just noodle around with various iOS games like Bejeweled and Angry Birds.  Most women my age (mid-late 20s) disdain video games and video game players.  They tend to associate them with manchildren who aren't doing shit with their lives, even if they fritter it away on Facebook, Pinterest, reality shows, and rewatching Sex and the City for the 5000th time.

It's the main reason why I'm on forums: I can discuss nerdery with people who know what the hell I'm talking about.

That's why you gotta find women in the younger 20s who actually like video games. At least that's what I'm trying, to mixed results...

As sad as it is to say I am starting to think that probably the only girls who are gonna be into me and vice versa will be geek chicks.
^_^

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1689 on: December 05, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »
Probably the worst thing you can think is that shared hobbies is a good indicator of relationship success.
vin

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1690 on: December 05, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »
Probably the worst thing you can think is that shared hobbies is a good indicator of relationship success.

I dunno, I get bored too easily if we have nothing really to talk about. *shrug* I've tried to get some girls interested in the things I like (and I try to keep a somewhat open mind to what they like) but most of them wanted no part of it. My longest relationship was with a gamer chick who actually willingly went clubbing with me though.
^_^

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #1691 on: December 06, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
Run for the hills
itm

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1692 on: December 06, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »

NPD reports Xbox 360 sells 1.26M consoles in Nov, nearly 2x all other consoles & >WiiU+Wii combined
https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/statuses/276831169973211136

bomba

bring on next gen

cat

Himu

« Reply #1693 on: December 06, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
beaten
IYKYK

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1694 on: December 06, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
Gamespot UK

Nintendo DS only hardware to see year-over-year increase.

DS :bow2
cat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #1695 on: December 06, 2012, 06:48:59 PM »
the industry should crash a little...make those publishers + devs hungry again.  maybe it'll spur creativity.

i don't know what i'm talking about.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1696 on: December 06, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »
The culprit, he says, was Wii U hardware sales, which came in about $50 million below expected, and sales of Nintendo handhelds, the DS and 3DS. "Wii U hardware was sold out, we checked, so it's a supply issue," he says. But Wii U software sales "was abysmal, only Super Mario sold any meaningful units."

Not sold out here ???

And shit, I didn't realize 3DS was that dire.  Hopefully the end of consoles as we know it.
vin

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1697 on: December 06, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
Full quote
NPD analyst Liam Callahan noted that fewer games were released in November, compared to November 2011. However, the top five games had 5% more sales, unit-wise, than the top five from 2011.

"These new titles are holding their own and generating the same number of dollars per title on average," he said. "Unfortunately, declines this month stemmed from softer sales from catalog titles, which launched outside of this month, with dollar sales down 11 percent, collectively."

Other optimistic points: November's 11% overall decline was the smallest year-over-year decrease in 2012. "This is a sign of momentum going into the December holiday period," Callahan says.

And Wii U sales generated 21% more revenue than the Wii launch in November 2006, he said. "With an average price 35% higher for the Wii U at launch, compared to the Wii, this is an example of how consumers are willing to come out and spend when they see the value of the product."

Callahan compared this time period to November 2005 when the industry began transitioning to the Xbox 360 and, the following year, the Wii and PlayStation 3. Retail video game sales, he says, "are nearly twice as big as they were then. This really demonstrates the long-term health of retail sales even as many platforms are quite late in their lifecycles."

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter deemed the November sales results -- a record 12 months of declines -- as "worse than I expected."

The culprit, he says, was Wii U hardware sales, which came in about $50 million below expected, and sales of Nintendo handhelds, the DS and 3DS. "Wii U hardware was sold out, we checked, so it's a supply issue," he says. But Wii U software sales "was abysmal, only Super Mario sold any meaningful units."

Steady Wii U sales should help the industry to growth in early 2013, along with arrival of new games such as BioShock Infinite, Pachter says. Then, the eventual new consoles should lead to an industry rebound in 20
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2012/12/06/npd-video-game-sales-november/1752081/
cat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1698 on: December 06, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »

Not sold out here ???

And shit, I didn't realize 3DS was that dire.  Hopefully the end of consoles as we know it.

November tracking period = October 28-November 24

Nintendo PR
Wii U: Following its launch on Nov. 18 and with only seven days of sales captured in the data, Wii U sold more than 425,000 units, nearly matching the Wii system’s first-week total of 475,000. On the software front, New Super Mario Bros. U sold more than 243,000 units, an attach rate of nearly 60 percent.

Nintendo 3DS: The platform kicked off its second holiday season by selling nearly 540,000 units and has now sold nearly 6.5 million units life to date. Additionally, Mario Kart 7 became the second Nintendo 3DS game to cross 2 million units sold in the U.S.

Wii: In its seventh November, Wii sold 420,000 units and has now sold more than 40 million units in the United States alone.

Nintendo DS: In its 97th month overall, Nintendo DS sold more than 370,000 units and will cross 53 million units sold life to date in the next few days.

WiiU top 15
Mario
ZombiU
Scribblenaus
cod
jd4
nland
mickey
batman
sonic
skylanders
ac3
sing
nfl13
espn
ng3

no me3?
 :maf
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:02:20 PM by maxy »
cat

Takao

« Reply #1699 on: December 06, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
Just Dance 4 above Assassin's Creed, Batman, Sonic All-Stars Racing, and more. Wii U is gonna get amazing third party support this gen.

Also, PSAll-Stars Bomba Royale. 80k

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1700 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »

no me3?
 :maf

putting the last game of a fucking trilogy was fucking stupid and even worse when the other systems got a compliation of all the games around the same time (hell one system finally got the first game  :lol).

Just Dance 4 above Assassin's Creed, Batman, Sonic All-Stars Racing, and more. Wii U is gonna get amazing third party support this gen.

Also, PSAll-Stars Bomba Royale. 80k

less than 80k ps3

less than 8k vita
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:09:28 PM by Purple Filth »

cool breeze

« Reply #1701 on: December 06, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
so, is Zombiu going to be a retail release or XBLA/PSN?

Tasty

« Reply #1702 on: December 06, 2012, 09:31:25 PM »
Wii U doing only 50k less than Wii comparatively isn't bad, but the Wii was sold out and Wii U isn't really, which will definitely hurt it next month.

Surprised to see Nthingland so low, considering it's ostensibly attached to half of all systems sold. Did that include bundles numbers?

I wonder if Nintendo was just using NPD data for that PR or if they mixed in eShop sales. Hmm.

Scribblenauts being so high is surprising to me.

3DS at 6.5 million US LTD is actually pretty good I'd say, this is only its second November (compared to Wii, which is at 40 mil after 7 years.) It being down YoY should scare the hell out of Nintendo though, YoY drops shouldn't happen until the fourth or fifth year.

Tasty

« Reply #1703 on: December 06, 2012, 09:33:27 PM »
so, is Zombiu going to be a retail release or XBLA/PSN?

Probably not since it seems Nintendo had a hand in development (it even got its own Iwata Asks.)

pilonv1

« Reply #1704 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »
Surprised to see Nthingland so low, considering it's ostensibly attached to half of all systems sold. Did that include bundles numbers

Image above clearly stats they're not counting hard bundles with the software numbers. It's not really surprising, nthings bought premiums which were the majority of stock.

Scribblenauts being so high is surprising to me.

High is relative, it's high for Wii U titles.
itm

Tasty

« Reply #1705 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »
Image above clearly stats they're not counting hard bundles with the software numbers.

Oh, then it's probably doing quite well.

High is relative, it's high for Wii U titles.

I'm still surprised by it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1706 on: December 06, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »
4-player local multiplayer on the N64 was utterly amazing in the late-90's. I can't hate.

that shit was a joke if you had access to some REAL t1 gaming goodness back in the day. quake, diablo, starcraft, unreal, fuck even a c-grade fps killed whatever was going on with the n64 at the time. it was like the divide between 360 and wii, except 100x more laughable

Starcraft and Unreal weren't even out yet. PCfags trying to retcon reality. ::)
©@©™

archie4208

« Reply #1707 on: December 06, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »
PC/mobile future here we come.  :bow2

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #1708 on: December 06, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
6.5 million 3DSs in America in nearly two years isn't very good at all.  It's not terrible, but it's way behind Nintendo's usual handheld sales.  Being down year-on-year, as you recognize, is also terrible given it's just the second year.  That's not even the worst news, though.  The hardware sales are, what I would say, disappointing but passable.  The software?  Yikes.  More than ever, people are just buying this handheld for Mario Kart and Super Mario and buying literally nothing else.

There is nothing else on that shit, where's my Castlevania and Sonic and Mega Man and Advance Wars

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1709 on: December 06, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »
3DS software and hardware is just too expensive for kids(parents),especially software.Nintendo should be much more flexible with software prices,they are not alone on the (kids)market anymore.

cat

pilonv1

« Reply #1710 on: December 06, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
Parents found out kids are happy with Angry Birds and its ilk for 99c on their old smart phones they were going to throw away.
itm

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1711 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »
Anecdotally speaking, nobody I know plays consoles anymore.  A 99 cent iOS game satiates their gaming needs.  Since more and more kids are getting iOS devices, I can easily see why the 3DS is in trouble.  Nintendo just can't compete, even if they were to relax their ass backwards policies.

I think I predicted (maybe in this thread) that this next generation is going to be the last conventional generation.  Sony will go tits up, getting bought out by GREE or some shit.  Microsoft will drop the Xbox line if the Surface (or whatever the Surface evolves to) takes off.  Nintendo might stick around but they won't be anything like they are even now.  The only option will be iOS, Android (lol), or the Pee Cee, which will need to rely on the burgeoning indie scene as more and more large publishers die off.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #1712 on: December 06, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
I predict games becoming more and more like Hollywood in the sense that there are very few BIG, MAJOR big budget publishers, there will be a thriving indie scene. Games will survive, they'll just be in a more contained environment.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1713 on: December 06, 2012, 11:07:19 PM »
I predict games becoming more and more like Hollywood in the sense that there are very few BIG, MAJOR big budget publishers, there will be a thriving indie scene.

So...pretty much exactly like it is right now?
dog

Himu

« Reply #1714 on: December 06, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
except way smaller.
IYKYK

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #1715 on: December 06, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
6.5 million 3DSs in America in nearly two years isn't very good at all.  It's not terrible, but it's way behind Nintendo's usual handheld sales.  Being down year-on-year, as you recognize, is also terrible given it's just the second year.  That's not even the worst news, though.  The hardware sales are, what I would say, disappointing but passable.  The software?  Yikes.  More than ever, people are just buying this handheld for Mario Kart and Super Mario and buying literally nothing else.

There is nothing else on that shit, where's my Castlevania and Sonic and Mega Man and Advance Wars

i see more interesting games to buy on vita... :'(

pilonv1

« Reply #1716 on: December 06, 2012, 11:45:35 PM »
except way smaller

Console gaming is just contracting back to a hobbyists market. It wont die but the boom period is well and truly over.
itm

Himu

« Reply #1717 on: December 07, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
except way smaller

Console gaming is just contracting back to a hobbyists market. It wont die but the boom period is well and truly over.

yup
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #1718 on: December 07, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »
I'm genuinely curious to see if next gen will reinvigorate the industry like everyone wants it to.  The strongest reactions in the media have been for games believed to be next gen (Watch Dogs, Star Wars).

And it's wild that there are still big games coming in 2013 for 360/PS3.  Microsoft more than Sony is at least wrapping things up with only Gears of War.  Sony has God of War -1, Sly 4, Last of Us, and Beyond.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:51:43 AM by fryinghigh »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1719 on: December 07, 2012, 01:34:04 AM »
Sony really tanked it on exclusives people wanted to buy this fall.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1720 on: December 07, 2012, 01:52:18 AM »
lol looks like it bombed.

It's been a pretty shitty year for my Playstation. Don't think I played any new exclusives on it this year.

Purple Filth

« Reply #1721 on: December 07, 2012, 01:56:26 AM »
lol looks like it bombed.

It's been a pretty shitty year for my Playstation. Don't think I played any new exclusives on it this year.

Ps3 version less than 80k

Vita version less than 8k

it was fucking nuclear

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1722 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:43 AM »
Well that's a shame. I mean I still think the game looks pretty terrible and the idea still sounds awful. But my friend has really been enjoying it and it does seem they like they made a decent game that's an actual fighter. A sequel could have been a real improvement, but I guess that won't happen.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1723 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:19 AM »
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-07-halo-4-sold-3-2m-in-us-during-november

Microsoft's Halo 4 sold 3.2 million units in the US during November, according to NPS sales data leaked by analyst firm Cowen and Company.

The title was the second biggest boxed game in the region during the month, with Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 topping the charts with 7.5 million units sold.

Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed III also performed well, shifting 2.9 million units, while further down the sales chart was Electronic Arts' Need for Speed: Most Wanted, selling 509,000 units.
cat

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #1724 on: December 07, 2012, 05:56:21 AM »
the other crazy notion seems to be that Nintendo aren't getting touched by the iOS thing

In crazier news - i heard a financial dickhead on radio today say that the gaming industry is in a dire place "following the poor sales of X360 with only 1.2m units sold"

I mean - the industry certainly is facing trouble but i don't think 1.2m or so hardware sales for a 7 year old console is particularly the barometer for that.
O=X

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #1725 on: December 07, 2012, 06:35:31 AM »
There is some talk in the depths of the internet about bunch of new business models for xbox next.
cat

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #1726 on: December 07, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »
right now the whole industry seems to be banking on the hope and prayer that a new generation will turn everything around.

i think it's next gen where the reality is going to cockpunch the industry.

IF however xbox next does have something like , say, a stupidly low price and just an agreement for a 2-3 year XBL lock in then that's going to go a hell of a long way to helping things.

$249 + 2 years live ? $199 + 4 years?

it's a good way to get around the fact that you're paying for something that should basically be free at this point.

Ultimately, any way they can get your credit details into the system and market the fuck out of whatever goodies they have to offer. This, obviously, is going to ROYALLY FUCK people not living in the UK. I guess they might do a "buy outright" model at $499
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:47:57 AM by DCharlieJP »
O=X

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #1727 on: December 07, 2012, 06:51:04 AM »
that's a possible route for delivering more hardware, but at the end of the day, the software prices can't stay as high as they are now and hope to yank people away from their tablets and PCs.

well, delivering more hardware is a prerequisite for having lower software prices i'd have thought. If prices are going to come down then you have to expect that you need to sell to a larger base than usual.

But we all know what is going to happen - $5-$10 price hike per game , shorter games, more DLC, online passes as standard -even- with new games.
O=X

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1728 on: December 07, 2012, 07:09:34 AM »
There's going to be a lot of nickel and diming for this next generation.
🍆🍆

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1729 on: December 07, 2012, 07:19:57 AM »
Wait so there isn't a single WiiU game in the chart?

Bomba total  :lol

Nintendo is killing the industry with their weak shit.

PS: Wonderbook  :'( :'( :'(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
At least Sony doesn't put vendor names in the credits so I won't live in shame forever
[close]

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #1730 on: December 07, 2012, 07:57:50 AM »
Any info on how the Vita COD game did?  Supposed to be a savior and all...

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1731 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:32 AM »
I know I know. Still its cool to see 360 do > wii+ wiiu :)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1732 on: December 07, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »
I've been saying it for a long-ass time, but it's scary how closely the games industry is mirroring the American comics industry's trajectory.  Geeks gonna geek, I guess.

So have I. Lots of eerie parallels to the mid-90s implosion.

Best Buy has started offering that "$99 360 with a 2-yr $15 XBL contract." That's what my fiance is getting for her kids, who can't seem to stop beating the hell out of each other over PS3 time. If you count the cost of the Skyrim and Forza games packed in the 250GB holiday bundle, the contract deal only works out to be about $15 more over the long run, so it's not a bad deal. I can totally see them continuing this contract plan for the next Xbox.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:05:27 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1733 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:42 AM »
What happened to comics? ( i never read a comic)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #1734 on: December 07, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »
I think the parallel is more towards broadcast television. The major players will all be there and still very valuable entities, but the measuring stick of what is considered a 'success' will be greatly diminished.

Consumer dilution across the board. But there will still be a select few titles that breakout and sell millions and millions.

I think as long as there are 14-20 year old males, there will always be a market for a dedicated console. It's the perfect tool for escape and filling up hours of your time.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:33:39 AM by ToxicAdam »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1735 on: December 07, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
What happened to comics? ( i never read a comic)

Speculator comics flooding the market, for the most part. Expensive gimmick covers, multipart storylines which went on forever and you HAD to buy everything to understand what was going on, multiple shitty spinoff titles, that kind of thing. Comic shop owners overordering and getting stuck with piles of comics like the return of Superman storyline, Image comics titles going for like a year between issues and people losing interest. Tons of startup companies popping up overnight to cash in on the boom and producing absolute shit that they expected people to pay upwards of $5 for (and this was the 90s, remember) just because they slapped a hologram cover on it.

the parallels to me are:

Gimmick covers = "limited" editions and preorder bonuses
Neverending crossovers = DLC and microtransactions
Delayed issues and titles = Delayed games
Retailers over ordering = same
Upstarts flooding the market with crap that has no hope of selling anywhere other than a bargain bin
Both thinking every game/comic has to command top dollar
sup

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1736 on: December 07, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »
Very interesting thanks.

What I see as a difference for one: MULTIPLAYER. You wanna play that Wow, fifa, madden, cod, world of tanks with your friends. Not saying this is the industry saviour, but it seems games are fundamentally different

Another thing: Cheap games on mobiles, DD, sales.  Gaming market caters to everyone now with every budget. F2P, retail, DD, any platform.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #1737 on: December 07, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »
I really like Toxic Adam's analogy, as the problems facing the gaming industry really do mirror the television business of today.  If you think of Sony as NBC (a former giant who can't stop fucking up, partially because smaller and nimbler companies are eating its lunch) it can be quite illustrative

although Vita =/= Jay Leno

cool breeze

« Reply #1738 on: December 07, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
Apparently Black Ops 2 is the worst selling Call of Duty since MW2 ("worst" at 7.5 million down from MW3's 9 million).  Though, it had less time and more competition from Halo 4.

Assassin's Creed 3 did like triple what Assassin's Creed games normally do; nearly 3 million.  I guess the change in setting or something really paid off.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1739 on: December 07, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »
Assassin's Creed 3 did like triple what Assassin's Creed games normally do; nearly 3 million.  I guess the change in setting or something really paid off.

It's the setting.
dog