Author Topic: The Bore Car Thread Of Distuinguished Motoring Gentlemen  (Read 76066 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: BORE CAR THREAD - MAF ONLY KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE THEM
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2012, 10:23:05 AM »
I do hav the super duper plan. I'm slightly worried that things like the headlights might void some support coverage
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »
Almost any upgrade will void your warranty.  However before Ford can deny your warranty coverage it is up to them to prove that your modifications caused the issue.  So if your radio shorts out or something it'll be up to them to prove that your headlights caused it.  In most cases it's not worth the headache for them and they'll just honor your warranty.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:18 AM »
Good to know. Thanks!
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »
Awww yeah, some dude stopped me in the parking lot to talk mustangs boooooom- got some new mod ideas
o_0

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
Awww yeah, some dude stopped me in the parking lot to talk mustangs boooooom- got some new mod ideas

When I pulled in to a parking lot the other day to pick up a pizza for dinner, a couple to the left of me were obviously staring.  I get out and the man yells "how do you like the Genesis?"

I grin like an idiot and say "it's a lot of fun"  :D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:47:53 PM by Boogie »
MMA

MrAngryFace

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2012, 10:22:22 PM »
Being stopped about my car is kinda awesome, gotta admit
o_0

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:49 PM »
This got looks last summer

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:38:52 PM by AdmiralViscen »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »
Being stopped about my car is kinda awesome, gotta admit
The best thing ever was when I was putting gas in the Corvette and this little chubby kid walks up to me and says "Wow.  Cool car, mister.  How fast does it go?" 

I was like...

And then I thought "Mister?  How fucking old does he think I am??"  I was 23!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2012, 10:40:10 PM »
what mods are you thinking of now?

BTW, in the middle of April I'm going to start tearing down the interior of the '81 Corvette.  If anyone in here is interested in the progress I'll post pics.  The first item will be replacing door panels and changing out the electric window motors.  The passenger side motor is failing and I figure I'll replace both if I'm tearing the door out anyways.  After that I'll be installing a new dash and a new set of gauge clusters.  I won't know how big of a pain that is until I see how intact the original wiring is.  From what I can tell the cars wiring was mostly gutted at some point and it's been rigged really half ass.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:42:52 PM by Mupepe »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »

That sound oh yeah
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2012, 10:47:03 PM »

sweet jebus :o

The '81 Corvette gets looks on the road.  But that's only because it looks like the batmobile due to the asshat previous owner.  No seriously.  He flared the fenders, added a huge cowl hood and threw Batman symbols on the front and rear.  I'll post pics if you guys are morbidly curious.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »

BTW, in the middle of April I'm going to start tearing down the interior of the '81 Corvette.  If anyone in here is interested in the progress I'll post pics.  The first item will be replacing door panels and changing out the electric window motors.  The passenger side motor is failing and I figure I'll replace both if I'm tearing the door out anyways.  After that I'll be installing a new dash and a new set of gauge clusters.  I won't know how big of a pain that is until I see how intact the original wiring is.  From what I can tell the cars wiring was mostly gutted at some point and it's been rigged really half ass.

Course we want pics!
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »
Here's a video I took the day after I bought the Corvette. I've since rebuilt the engine but haven't done any cosmetic work on it.

I wanted a challenge when I got it and boy did I get one...

I don't push the engine that much in the video because she was fragile and barely able to stay idle.  But she screeeeeams now.  No cats.  Stright pipes from the headers all the way back :drool
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:51:26 PM by Mupepe »

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »
Please tell me you corrected the tail lights.

I took that video when the exhaust basically stopped under the drivers seat. The sound is less raw now (straight pre also) but still awesome. I should do a new vid. Maybe after I get it painted next month.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
Actually, the pic I posted earlier is of the monte Carlo that isn't running. The video is of this one that I bought last summer

I want to get it painted in April, then do a better photo shoot with both cars.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »
Please tell me you corrected the tail lights.

I took that video when the exhaust basically stopped under the drivers seat. The sound is less raw now (straight pre also) but still awesome. I should do a new vid. Maybe after I get it painted next month.
Not yet :'(  I have to replace the entire body anyways because he removed each panel and put on a complete front clip and complete rear clip that are totally custom.  So there's no fucking way to just get the correct rear quarter panels and bumper and add it on.  I need to get the rear deck lid too which is a bit harder to find.  I do have the original lights though.  He was nice enough to give them to me with the car.  For the last year or so my focus has only been to make her run right which I've done now and so now it's time to fix the body.  I'm gonna pull the body off the car and practice working with fiberglass on the current body.  It's a project car in and out to learn stuff.  I've learned a lot and now it's time to learn body work.  I'm pretty damn excited.

Do a new vid!!  I'll take a better video tomorrow.  I plan on pulling her out taking the doors off anyways.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2012, 11:35:50 PM »
I finally looked up what a Genesis Coupe was because I had no idea and what tired of being reminded of my ignorance every time Boogie talked about it. A Hyundai? Seriously?  :-\

I should have figured such brand-snobbery to come from a Bimmer owner such as yourself. :P 

Hyundai is a rising company that has nothing to apologize for.

In the Gen Coupe GT version, they have an all-around solid grand-tourer.  306 hp in the V6 (348 in the 2012, though they fuglied it up in the design-department, of course), and it handles like a dream. (no offense to MAF and Mups, but I've driven the modern Mustang, and it's just not nearly as toss-able around a corner as the Genesis, though it kicks my ass when it comes to power).

All the bells and whistles when it comes to touchscreen GPS/audio/etc.  Heated leather seats.  Sunroof.

And, while looks are subjective, I believe it's one of the best-looking cars you can get for under 30k.  Just a shame that it has all the piddly-ass 4-cylinder variants diluting the brand.
MMA

MrAngryFace

« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »
Yeah Mustangs take corners a little rough- from what ive heard though the 2010 and later models do better than the 5th gens from 2004-2009
o_0

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:28 PM »
The latest mustang GT matches the M3 on the track, eats genesis for breakfast. Dunno about the refreshed genesis.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
The latest mustang GT matches the M3 on the track, eats genesis for breakfast. Dunno about the refreshed genesis.

It was a base Mustang that I drove.  I guess the GT handles better.  And power counts for a lot.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:54:15 PM by Boogie »
MMA

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »
Yea, the v6 is a grand tourer, like you see of the gen coupe. The newer GTs are a sole different all game.

I'm curious about the new genesis turo 4, that might be fun. Lighter weight and 270hp or something iirc

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2012, 11:56:18 PM »
Yea, the v6 is a grand tourer, like you see of the gen coupe. The newer GTs are a sole different all game.

I'm curious about the new genesis turo 4, that might be fun. Lighter weight and 270hp or something iirc

Yeah, the 2012 4-banger is respectable.

But before that, the Genesis is waaaaaay too heavy for just 210 hp.  (much like the Mustang pre-2011 model year)
MMA

MrAngryFace

« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2012, 12:52:43 AM »
4Chan is an endless Mustang GT vs M3 fight- pretty hilarious actually. I was initially looking at a V6 Mustang but I couldnt resist buying something that was awesome instead. I guess the V6s are better now, not so underpowered as they used to be.
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »

He apparently goes to some mustang meetup in a city closeby- thinking of getting a 2013 himself. Told me the ford racing stuff can be installed by the dealership (obviously not voiding warranty) and it'll give me 16 more hp (boosting it past stock 2013 gt) and get rid of the skipshift which honestly just drives me a little nuts anyway.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12346
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:51:53 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
That filter can totally be installed yourself.  They wouldn't give you shit if you tried to get it warrantied either. 

I would do the filter yourself and use the labor money you would have paid at the dealership to get it properly tuned and dyno'ed (you can get this done at Ford dealerships too for warranty purposes).  The settings on the chip in that set are another set of standard settings.  Getting it properly tuned and dyno'ed means they'll play with your cars personal settings and get the most out of yours since every car is different.  and not even that, then they'll run the car on the dyno machine and tell you exactly how much you gained AT THE WHEELS.  There's a huge difference in HP from what a company tells you and from what actually makes it through the drivetrain on your car to effectively use on the road.

Plus the results get you verified bragging rights ;)

Skip shift mods are also easy and easily removed if you ever need to get it serviced.  They come in like chips that you just plug into the car.  Most don't even require popping the hood

Edit: and the bragging rights come in handy when you start talking mods with someone and before they take you seriously about your HP numbers they'll ask if you've ever gotten her up on the dyno.  Too many guys estimate their HP by adding up the numbers slapped on the box of their mods and then adding it to their car's advertised baseline.  But you generally only get 75-85% of what's advertised on the car.  Your true HP is probably anywhere from 360-370. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 01:45:50 PM by Mupepe »

MrAngryFace

« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »
Well yeah there's weight vs horsepower. Ill look into doing it myself but we'll seeee
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »
Well it's not really weight vs horsepower. Its a loss through the drive train and transmission. Automatic transmissions tend to lose 15 percent or so and manuals lose around 10 percent. By the time it makes it to the wheels you have a much smaller number of HP to actually move your car. So if someone is throwing out HP numbers for their mods find out if it's at the fly wheel or at the wheels. HP measurements from the flywheel are not accurate.

Google around on how to change the air filter on your car. You'll see how easy it is and you'll feel so much closer to your car.

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2012, 12:21:52 PM »
If someone gave me a Tesla Model S tomorrow, I wouldn't say no. Not having to worry about gas prices would be awesome, and the Model S looks awesome.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2012, 05:08:03 AM »
First post in a while...I definitely prefer to drive manual but I don't even have a car right now.

But I have a question about your car MrAngryFace.  I tagged along to give advice and all that when my friend went to buy a mustang a year ago and we both test drove a mustang with a manual transmission.  The salesman dude told us that pretty much all the V6 ones are automatic unless you specially order it so we drove the V8 GT model and it had the most horrible manual transmission I have ever had the opportunity to try.  It just felt really rough and neither of us could ever make a smooth gear change, not even the salesman when he was bringing the car up.

Was it a lemon or are you a stick shift wizard?

G The Resurrected

« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2012, 05:29:33 AM »
Missus says I have to get a "man van" do they make any "man vans" that are as cool as the challenger? I was hoping the charger wagon would re-emerge with straight 8 tech. I'd kill for a mustang wagon.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2012, 07:08:43 AM »
First post in a while...I definitely prefer to drive manual but I don't even have a car right now.

But I have a question about your car MrAngryFace.  I tagged along to give advice and all that when my friend went to buy a mustang a year ago and we both test drove a mustang with a manual transmission.  The salesman dude told us that pretty much all the V6 ones are automatic unless you specially order it so we drove the V8 GT model and it had the most horrible manual transmission I have ever had the opportunity to try.  It just felt really rough and neither of us could ever make a smooth gear change, not even the salesman when he was bringing the car up.

Was it a lemon or are you a stick shift wizard?

oh great, now we're going to have to suffer through nintenho pretending to be a car expert in here. ::)
MMA

MrAngryFace

« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
The shift in my new GT was stiff for the first 500 miles or so that and I was originally was driving my car like I was still in my focus, which was a mistake. While you probably dont need speeding tickets, there's nothing against accelerating like mad.

ANYWAY, first to second takes some getting used to- third/sixth are a lot more forgiving. There's also skip shift if you like that sort of thing- but you really have to get the revs up in first gear to make a transition to fourth that doesnt begin with a noise that sounds like you shifted way too early.

ALL of that aside, my first two cars were manual- but I drove an automatic focus for 3 years before I got the mustang- when I test drove it the same day I bought it I killed it going 1st to 2nd twice before we left the lot- by the time we left the lot I was back in the groove.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
The transmission in the modern Mustang is incredible.  I've seen the same complaints from people and it always boils down to not driving it with enough balls.  It needs some gas to it.  The gears are incredibly heavy even compared to old gen Mustangs.  If you're gonna granny shift then any car with a big set of balls is going to be a pain in the ass to drive standard.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
Yup- you have to commit to going fast. At first I was all OLDMANDRIVINFOCUS and then I figured out the car doesnt like that so much. It wants to be driven hard n fast.
o_0

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »
The transmission in the modern Mustang is incredible.  I've seen the same complaints from people and it always boils down to not driving it with enough balls.  It needs some gas to it.  The gears are incredibly heavy even compared to old gen Mustangs.  If you're gonna granny shift then any car with a big set of balls is going to be a pain in the ass to drive standard.

That must be it. My car at the time was a 4 cylinder with like 100 horsepower. Pretty much the only thing it could do is smooth take offs.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
 :lol

My Mini Cooper has 114 hp and you'd assume that little thing would be awesome at smooth takeoffs.  Err, nope.  The transmission is a POS in it and every shift is like sitting on Michael J Fox's lap. 

MrAngryFace

« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
I doubt many people show up for a test drive of a sports car and rock that shit unless they already own one. /tellshimselftofeelbetter
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »
Pretty much.  If you've never driven a high performance car before then you're most likely nervous and/or trying to be super careful.  When I went to test drive the Camaro the sales guy wouldn't shut up about telling me "She's got a lot of power.  be careful!  ease off the clutch a bit..."  I had to tell him I didn't need instructions because I've already driven that engine with that transmission in a faster car.  He was pissing me off.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
They had my car tucked inside a shitload of other cars, so I had very little room to pull it out. Salesman did a good job not LAUGHIN!!!!
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »
I wouldn't laugh either!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
You just made him some moolah!
[close]

MrAngryFace

« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »
Ive been to the same dealership for three cars now- they got me a pretty good deal
o_0

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2012, 07:17:02 PM »
Missus says I have to get a "man van" do they make any "man vans" that are as cool as the challenger? I was hoping the charger wagon would re-emerge with straight 8 tech. I'd kill for a mustang wagon.

There is a caravan r/t

MrAngryFace

« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »

New viper
o_0

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »
I can't wait to drive that car in Forza 4. :hyper

MrAngryFace

« Reply #165 on: April 05, 2012, 12:03:44 AM »
kinda bummed they only have one of the early 5th gen mustangs :/- wanted MINE
o_0

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »
Some pics I took today at the Barrett-Jackson auction.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferrarimanf355/sets/72157629382969270/

MrAngryFace

« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2012, 03:40:38 PM »
116 a vantage?

Love the mustang pics, the new lights on the 2013s front and rear are awesome- kind of envy that. camero pics are nice as well, in general I like the look of camero but they always seem a little long and the interior doesnt look as nice as the exterior.
o_0

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »
I think it was a Vantage, but I didn't get a closer look. I was just shooting like crazy.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
Most of the martins look all the same to me anyway. Good pictures though- It's crazy how much the Focus has changed over the past few years- design wise anyway
o_0

ferrarimanf355

« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
Most of the martins look all the same to me anyway. Good pictures though- It's crazy how much the Focus has changed over the past few years- design wise anyway
Thanks, it means a lot to me.  :-*

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
well i'd been ignoring this thread because i don't care about cars, but then i look at it out of boredom and notice that it looks like shaka might be in the midwest

SHAKA IS THIS TRUE!?
pcp

MrAngryFace

« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »

Washed n waxed awww yeah- great day for it
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
Also my phones camera is ass- off the cuff review
o_0

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #174 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
so one a scale of one to ten how girly is a hyundai sonata?
pcp

MrAngryFace

« Reply #175 on: April 10, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
Sonatas don't seem girly to me.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »
A car is only as girly as you make it. 

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2012, 08:06:48 AM »
looks like im in the clear then

time to trick this b**** out
pcp

MrAngryFace

« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »
I've decided 2nd gear is bullshit- but 1-4th skipshift is too. Its all about the 1-3rd, its fucking PERFECT- fucking 2nd parking lot gear you suck.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:17 PM »
I regularly skip 1-3 and then 3-5.  Saves gas and is much easier when I'm going to be cruising at a low speed