Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 - U Jelly  (Read 14411 times)

Phoenix Dark

• Gats in the guitar case
Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta (4 hour stress test June 27th)
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2012, 01:21:36 AM »
The jumping and general movement was pretty clunky last time I played. It felt like some odd third person shooter

Ruzbeh

• UNBIASED GAME IMPRESSIONS, m'lady
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »
Release date 8/28

I can't wait for the reviews. :lol

Freyj

« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »
MMO reviews are always a strange beast. If SWTOR can garner high 80s and 90s, I don't doubt that GW2 will do so as well unless the jank is high at launch.

That seems really early though compared to what most were thinking. Is the game still CPU bound?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:14:51 PM by Freyj »

Ruzbeh

Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta (Next BWE 7/20. Launches 8/28)
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »
I've seen players who thought SWTOR was tolerable think GW2 was even more boring. And TBH, I can imagine that. SWTOR might be bad but it's possible it has some redeeming qualities. In terms of gameplay, GW2 has none.

etiolate

• You are a conquistador, but we are not your savages.
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
It will get very high reviews. Not that reviewing a MMO at launch makes any sense.

There's not really any jank to speak of from what I've played. I've probably put in over 40 hours through all the BWEs and it's all been top notch. I found the story instances probably overtuned, and I think the talking head presentation just doesn't work. The conversation and cutscenes need to be more dynamic like the opening intro. sPVP is not to the level of GW1, but its still miles ahead of other MMOs. (A statement to how poorly other MMOs do PVP and how well GW1 did it.) The condition/boon system is actually rougher than the one in GW1. The Mesmer class will probably release without the major change it needs. It still functions as a class because the combat works so well, but the class mechanic is just inherently faulty and restricting. There's a few skill challenges that weren't working, but last BWE they fixed at least one of them. There's still some bugged skills and traits, but they tend to fix those from BWE to BWE.

Those are all my complaints of the game so far. My biggest gripe is the change to tiered traits. I think that's just a poor choice that hurts longevity of the game. Most won't notice the change or be aware of it. The other main gripe is the Mesmer issues. I think those problems were too big a change for them to try to do before release. I still don't understand why they thought the class as is has any real resemblance to what a Mesmer is iconic for. I'm also not pleased with Capture Point being the only sPVP mode, but they'll learn their lesson when people tire of that quickly.

Overall the game is great. It's an advancement on MMOs in about every way. It's not a one trick pony like SWTOR or Tera. There's the DE/Heart system, there's WvWvW, sPVP with instant gear and level boost, story instances, dungeons, jumping puzzles, exploration tools, a huge world--probably the best world design in a MMO since WoW, huge magnificent cities, quick travel, instant mail from anywhere, instant deposit, instant ability to sell an item on the trading post, a cash shop that doesn't intrude or become mandatory, tons of cool gear designs, and all the various MMO standards like crafting, guilds, achieves and so on.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:04:40 PM by etiolate »

Ruzbeh

« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »
^ The above post reminds me of ArenaNet. A convoluted mess.

Guild Wars 2 sucks for a very simple reason.

When you start Guild Wars 2, what do you do? You create a character. You choose male/female but that is only cosmetic. Then what do you do? Class selection. Why is that a big deal? Because it determines how you play. How you play WHAT? How you play in COMBAT. In other words, COMBAT in this game is a big deal. Whether there's WvW, DEs, Hearts, whatever the fuck have you, this game is centered around combat.

And if the combat sucks, the game sucks. Simple.

Having big ass cities and beautifully designed shit, is barely relevant if the thing that's supposed to hold it all together -- combat -- sucks monkey balls.

Ruzbeh

« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »
Review predictions:

1UP - B
Gamespot - 7.5
IGN - 8.6
Eurogamer - 8

etiolate

« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
You are quite the determined thread shitter

Freyj

« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
I enjoy the alternative outlook after the GAF GW2 Thread of Circle-jerk.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also don't think much of the combat from what little I played despite the fact that it is quite impressive in some other areas.

etiolate

« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
The combat works. Like Ruzbeh vaginaid, if the combat didn't work then the whole thing would fall apart. But the combat works and makes other games feel old in design. The ability to cast on the move makes a huge difference, along with all the positional importance and control. Knowing how to use your dodge and how to and when to disable a foe matters. There is no standing around absorbing hits. You hit and move, flowing from one skill to the next, depending on what best fits the moment.

Ruzbeh

« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2012, 10:28:25 PM »
That is utter BS. Combat is about moving constantly, i.e. almost constant confusion and chaos. Combat is broken in this game, period.

GW1 combat is so much better it's not even funny.

As a matter of fact, even the ghastly WoW combat is better than GW2 combat. WoW combat is slow but at least you know what the fuck is going on.

You hardly hear any negative things about GW2. The constant praise is deafening, frankly. This is amazing, that is amazing, it's new, it's innovative, it just works, bla bla bla. None of that shit is true. Everything in GW2 is broken. The reason why negative things are ignored and people who say negative things are silenced is because too many people are looking forward to playing this game and leveling up characters. Too many people are invested in the success of Guild Wars 2. It's sad but that's how it goes. I mean for fuck's sake I already paid for the full fucking game, it's in my interest for this game to be good. But it ain't. GW1 is vastly superior because it's a properly designed game. I have no fucking what GW2 is supposed to be.

etiolate

« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »
this is probably where I should post some mocking gif

Butt Seriously

• And so on and so forth
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »
I have played many a game where combat is all about moving constantly and casting. What's wrong with this, care to make some more valid points apart from it's confusing and chaotic?
(,)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »
Review predictions:

1UP - B
Gamespot - 7.5
IGN - 8.6
Eurogamer - 8
seriously?

Anyway, I look forward to the game. Sucks they couldn't get it out in July, that would have been interesting. There's literally nothing to do in WoW right now, it would be the perfect time to drop a bomb. By August we might have a release date/new info on MoP

Ruzbeh

« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
I look forward to the New Adventures of Gionio or however the fuck you like to call yourself.

And by the way what's up with that name. You aren't Italian yo, no offense. Why not use a name a little more closer to home? Like, I don't know. Tyrese.

Tyrese Johnson.

The Adventures of Tyrese Johnson.

:lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »
I created a dwarf character and wanted a name that sounded dwarven. So being a LOTR nerd, the first thing that came to mind was Gimli but that seemed too obvious. So I decided to take the name of his father, Gloin, and change it a bit. Goinio. To this day I haven't stumbled across anyone with the same name when I search the armory.

Server lists:
http://i.minus.com/ihfBNOLrNjqWa.png

Any thoughts on what server you guys will be using? I'm feeling around, seeing where friends will be landing. I like the feel of a small/medium sized server but I'll likely join a bigger one
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:13:23 PM by Phoenix Dark »

etiolate

« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2012, 09:48:09 PM »
I haven't been able to contact any of my WoW pals or GW pals to see where they are ending up. I am in a very friendly and large GW guild, and they're using Jade Quarry for the betas. I would like to stick in their guild on some level for they are helpful and laid back, but they aren't a PvP guild at all. Luckily, you can be in multiple guilds, but since WvW and sPvP seems to rely on your home server, I'll probably not be joining their server and just joining their guild instead, along with a PvP guild and a guild I make for myself.

On the suck side, I don't know what server is going to be home to any old PvP peeps I know. So I have no idea where I'll end up as of yet. I see that there is an unofficial GvG server listed on that chart, but I am not sure what that means at this point. It lists Idiot Savants on that server, and they were a longtime GW PvP guild, but I didn't exactly like all of them and there isn't a true GvG yet. Not that liking them means much now, as I imagine anyone I knew from that period has moved on.

edit: Curse Gaming was having a beta key giveaway for those that wanted in the beta without paying $$$. I hope ANet will give away more keys, because there's a lot of people that want to try it out, but having to put up money for a beta is pretty lame. It doesn't matter if you're like me and had the game reserved for like years, but there's too many bad MMOs to not have a more open beta for people to try the game out before getting burned by plunking down the cash.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:51:40 PM by etiolate »

etiolate

« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »

Sylvari look far more interesting now. Look more like alien plant creatures rather than just Avatar-esque. Yes, I know that sounds silly, but James Cameron LOL.

Also LOL at the mushroom hair.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »
The beta key situation is quite stupid. You'd think they would want opinions from as many different people as possible, not just the true believers who decided to throw them $60 early.

etiolate

« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2012, 03:16:15 AM »
My only explanation for the money based betas so far is that they wanted to refine the game more before letting in a more generalized audience. I hope they do open up the last beta a bunch, because they need a stress test that will be equivalent to what will happen at launch.

Also, PD! All you need to know about RP and the RP servers! We all know you're rolling Tarnished Coast now.

etiolate

« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Flannum and Johanson just did a Twitch tv on endgame.

A quick summary:

Orr (final zone) is made up almost entirely of Dynamic Events with little to no Heart quests. Players will have to progress through the siege of Orr. They compared it to storming the beaches of Normandy. There are three initial mainpaths to moving further towards the inner circle of the island. One of these paths will include submarines and boats, another will be based on ground troops and building bridges. The third is a combination of both. Once you make it past this first stage, you get near to the corrupted temples of the Gods. There were 5-6 Gods in the first game and it sounds like they each have a temple on the island. Zhaitain (main villian) has corrupted the temples and the players must recapture each of the temples to remove the corruption. Meanwhile, scattered throughout this area are small statues of the Gods. If the God statue you are near belongs to a corrupted temple then you will be afflicted by corrupted states and effects. Like a corrupted Melandru statue may periodically wrap players legs in vines, while a corrupted Dwayna statue may disable your heal skill. Beyond this area, is another path that leads to the final dungeon. This path is full of the small statues, so clearing out the temples is important. All of this is based on the DE system.

They described Dynamic Events as mostly falling into three categories. The most basic DE is a one-off Event that spawns and exists until completed and then goes back onto its cycle timer. An example of this is the great boar hunt in Queensdale. The second categories is the pendulem/push DE that has fail/succeed conditions and goes back and forth along a fail/succeed path. An example of this is the Centaur attacks on towns in Queensdale. Centaurs start off from their Centaur camp, will take outposts and waypoints along the way, and push towards the town of Beetletun. Players can push them back from one spot and then back towards the next, and the battle will ebb and flow in a two way manner. The third category of events they described as webbed events, and we haven't seen much of these yet, but these are very common on Orr. These events are like the fail/succeed events, but upon one stage completing, other smaller events are created that go in their own direction. This creates the "web" flow of events where you have a main line fail/succeed, but you also have other events being created by your failure and success that branch out in another direction.

They then discussed Legendary Weapons, Mystic Forge crafting and downleveling. The Mystic Forge seems to be a big part of endgame item creation. Some transmutations and item creation will use up skill points, and this is designed to make gaining XP at level 80 useful, since you can still gain XP towards new skill points. The skill points can then be used in the Forge to transmute crafting materials or create prestige gear. They also said that due to downleveling, content they add in any section of the game is playable at 80. They remarked on adding a new low level dungeon and how it is still playable for max level characters and still provides XP and dungeon-specific armor designs.

Now, Legendary Weapons are weapons that will require gathering a lot of materials from through out the world and game. These materials cannot all be bought or traded, so you will have to earn some of them yourselves. Like the rest of the gear philosophy of the game, Legendary Weapons are not any stronger than max 80 weapons, they just look cooler. They described a few of the legendary weapons they have in game so far:

-Rainbow Bow -- This shortbow has the head of a unicorn at its tip and the arrows it fires leave behind a rainbow trail.
-The "Ironman" Hammer -- This hammer has a ball of liquid metal in it. The liquid metal starts to flow over the character's body and leaves a liquid metal trail. They described it as something out of Terminator in its visual effect, making you look liquid metallic.
-The Day Sword and the Night Sword and the DayNight Greatsword -- This is a set of two greatswords that can be combined into one Greatsword. The day sword will always show an image of the day's sky along its blade. Like a moving image of the day's sky. The night sword is the same thing, but the blade shows the night's sky at all times. The combined Greatsword shows the day or night depending on what time it is.

It also sounds like a good portion of the dungeons are for level 80.

Someone transcribed what they said of Orr:

Orr is very focused on these large meta events and fighting your way into orr and then taking it, the first zone in orr has 3 assault paths players have to do, the northern path is the sea and air path where you're firing golems to the beaches and subs that sail in, the center path is pretty much just the navy with subs and boats progessing, then the southern path which is another meta chain where troops are progressing along bridges and pontoons, and eveyrthing that had been built during the meta chains to get forces into Orr. once you get them into Orr it unlocks more new event chains where you're trying to take control of the corrupted god temples that were corrupted by Zhaitan, then there's little god statues scattered all over Orr and if the Orrians hold control of the god temples the little god statues will cause all klnds of effects to happen if you're near them like roots will come out of the ground and grab you or you might not be able to use some of your healing abilities, it all depends on what statue you're near. now the players want to actually take hold of the corrupted temples because it makes the progression through Orr easier, now also it allows for you to get to the final dungeon of the game (story wise) and it's a huge event chain getting to that point in southern Orr and a big part of the game is goign to be everyone working together to hold these things and fighting up to the final battlefront and holing it so that the dungeon can be done
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:10:22 PM by etiolate »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
My only explanation for the money based betas so far is that they wanted to refine the game more before letting in a more generalized audience. I hope they do open up the last beta a bunch, because they need a stress test that will be equivalent to what will happen at launch.

Also, PD! All you need to know about RP and the RP servers! We all know you're rolling Tarnished Coast now.

I didn't know what RP was when I chose my WoW server!

I find myself still concerned about PvE, months after the beta introduction/content dump. Raids, dungeons, gearing, etc were my favorite aspect of WoW. Not just because of the challenge, but because it included everything I liked about the game (social interaction especially, working hard on challenges for days to weeks to even months). I still feel like it's going to be a cluster fuck given how hard enemies hit, lack of specific party roles, etc.

When I did the first DE against some big worm, multiple people died within seconds - not because they stoop in or near bad stuff, but simply due to how much damage goes out regardless of what you do. I don't think I could deal with that in a dungeon setting without getting annoyed.

It seems like the game is doing a lot of stuff right, but I'm pretty sure WoW will keep its PvE crown

etiolate

« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
That wasn't the giant worm at the end of the Norn tutorial was it?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
yea

etiolate

« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »
Oh, well all those tutorial bosses are set to insta-kill players. You aren't meant to avoid it and I'm pretty sure you can't avoid it. They wanted players to see the downed state within the first hour of play, so they made giant bosses that kill you.

Anyways, I should be able to hit 30 so I can see how they do their dungeon design. I really liked some of the dungeons in EotN. The Flame Citadel has a lot of traps and interesting rooms, and about all the EotN dungeons were based upon finding a key to unlock the next level, while also having a hidden map that showed the locations of secret and important areas. I've watched videos of Ascalon Catacombs, but that's not really as informative as playing the encounters and getting a real feel of how they work. I know there are traps and "locked door" gates. The unknown bit is the group combat versus mobs.

Freyj

« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
Having a lot more fun with The Secret World than I did in the GW2 Beta  :patel

I'll probably still buy GW2 in a few months when it's cheaper.

etiolate

« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
I enjoyed The Secret World. The combat is pretty bad, but the quests are cool.

Freyj

« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:37 PM »
Combat's not anything to write home about, but it's serviceable (don't really see it any differently from what I played of GW2 in that respect).

The Ability Wheel / Skill system is really interesting. Crafting is pretty neat as well.

etiolate

« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »
GW2 combat is like miles beyond TSW or the standard fare.

The crafting is cool, though I didn't fully understand how to create state mods. I only fiddled with it in the beta though.

Shark Johnson

• Get fucked, buttercup
« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
The Secret World seems like it's got a cool world. I watched the Giant Bomb quick look and he said some quests require you to do actual research on the internet in order to solve quests. I could see that being extremely cool and I can't wait to try it in December when that game is Free 2 Play.
SJ

etiolate

« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
TSW has an adventure game vibe to its quests. There's investigation quests and quests that involve internet usage. One quest had me try to guess a doctor's password for his computer files. The hints were "composer" and "seasons". So it required some real world knowledge to guess. The game has an in-game browser to bring up and do google searches with. The NPCs even reference using google. There's also quests that involve dying and going into the spirit world to solve them. There's bits of horror game in there as well.

Premium Lager

• Talk about nines and tecs but never shot a watergun
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
Hype down to 0 after playing some Beta.

Clunky, nothing new, F2P bs implementation.

Very pretty though.

Would have been cooler if they expanded on original GW idea and structure.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
The game was clunky as fuck when I played, but "nothing new" is a ridiculous charge

etiolate

« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2012, 04:23:04 PM »
clunky and nothing new are both ridiculous

come on peoples

Premium Lager

• Talk about nines and tecs but never shot a watergun
« Reply #169 on: July 16, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »
Whats new?

I don't mean any micro changes compared to other games like "you can do 2 moves while down" and "you dont need to talk to npc's anymore"

etiolate

« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
People are more concerned with trolling me than talking about the game.

Anyways, BWE3 Post with all the things added to the BWE:

http://www.arena.net/blog/whats-new-in-the-final-guild-wars-2-beta-weekend-event

It seems all chars are getting wiped, so I won't be able to level up to get to the first dungeon. On the other hand, I'll be playing the fuck out of that GVG inspired map.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #171 on: July 16, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »
How was it not clunky? Maybe they've fixed it, but I found movement and jumping to feel quite bad, and more like a bad third person shooter than WoW.

etiolate

« Reply #172 on: July 16, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »
It just didn't feel clunky to me. What was clunky?

I played a lot of PVP. If things were clunky, PVP would be the hardest test on that. Instead, people were hopping rooftop to rooftop in Battle of Khylo. There's an Ele spike combo that requires aiming and execution. You Ride the Lightning in to a target, and follow with a switch to fire and two burst skills. You gotta pull it all off bang-bang-bang. If the game was clunky, I don't see how that combo works.

Freyj

« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »
TSW is also supposed to have monthly updates with Quest NPC story death and new NPCs being introduced to pick up the story. Really dynamic areas.

I loved Asheron's Call's vision for monthly updates, hopefully this follows suit.

How was it not clunky? Maybe they've fixed it, but I found movement and jumping to feel quite bad, and more like a bad third person shooter than WoW.

WoW is amazing with regard to the feel of movement and jumping. It was such a step forward from what I'd dealt with in FFXI for so long that I was astonished. Unfortunately most every MMO since has had major issues with this. GW2 isn't an exception to that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:48:17 PM by Freyj »

etiolate

« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2012, 01:31:45 AM »

This guy talks about lack of instant movement, but the character moves instantly when you hear him slam the W key. This is why I don't get what you are talking about. It's like some mental quirk.

I think you're getting hung up on animations. WoW has short, stubby animations. Characters move like toys. The lurch forward on moving forward is more of a sudden jerk in WoW, and the characters limbs are not a big part of the running animation, as each is a small step you mostly see in their feet. There are no transition animations.

GW2 has longer, natural strides and transition animations. When a character runs, their legs are a part of the running animation. All input and animation is instant, but there's more animation involved than WoW players are used to. There is some disconnect because they did decide to make movement instant. To compare, Mario turns quick in Super Mario Bros than in Mario 64 because there is a sense of momentum in Mario's turn on the N64, while Mario Bros is just a 2d sprite flip. GW2 is like Mario 64 if they still had that momentum animation, but the turn was instant.

Freyj

« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »

etiolate

« Reply #176 on: July 20, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »
Sylvari starting area is obviously the last zone they touched up. There's been more bugs in my time there than the previous two BWEs in the human area. It mostly has to do with interactive NPCs and objects bugging out. I'm sad the Engineer's 4th Shield skill is bugged and the knockback isn't working, but it seems like the 5th shield skill's throw attack is improved. Travels a long distance and stuns, then hits on return, too.

Ruzbeh

« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »

This guy talks about lack of instant movement, but the character moves instantly when you hear him slam the W key. This is why I don't get what you are talking about. It's like some mental quirk.

I think you're getting hung up on animations. WoW has short, stubby animations. Characters move like toys. The lurch forward on moving forward is more of a sudden jerk in WoW, and the characters limbs are not a big part of the running animation, as each is a small step you mostly see in their feet. There are no transition animations.

GW2 has longer, natural strides and transition animations. When a character runs, their legs are a part of the running animation. All input and animation is instant, but there's more animation involved than WoW players are used to. There is some disconnect because they did decide to make movement instant. To compare, Mario turns quick in Super Mario Bros than in Mario 64 because there is a sense of momentum in Mario's turn on the N64, while Mario Bros is just a 2d sprite flip. GW2 is like Mario 64 if they still had that momentum animation, but the turn was instant.

The GW2 animation sucks, and I'm not even going to bother to elaborate.

A balance can be easily struck between game-like responsiveness and natural animation, and GW2 is nowhere near that balance. WoW does it much better. Characters moving like toys is not a fucking problem, considering it's a FUCKING VIDEOGAME HOLY SHIT.

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
You're pretty upset over a video game you don't even like  ???

etiolate

« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
Massive Images with a worm slayn by the Friends of Fred.