Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 - U jelly cuz its free  (Read 80362 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta (Next BWE 7/20. Launches 8/28)
« Reply #180 on: August 25, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
No it's just that Guild Wars never was a MMO and people love to think it was. It was just Diablo with a behind the back perspective and blind fanboys. ArenaNet built off that perception with GW2 and it turned out just like the original.
CBG

Damian79

« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2012, 02:04:35 PM »
I dont even know what to say to that.  What makes a game an MMO then?

etiolate

« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2012, 02:17:03 PM »
The movement and controls are tight and responsive. We HAVE been over this before. Y'all distinguished mentally-challenged was the last conclusion.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
I dont even know what to say to that.  What makes a game an MMO then?

Persistent world with thousands of players in the same area as opposed to instanced worlds with few players but a shared chat system across the server to give the illusion of more people?
CBG

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
I though the controls were very meh in the beta, to put it lightly

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #185 on: August 25, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
I though the controls were very meh in the beta, to put it lightly

etoilet has prepared a rebuttal

yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #186 on: August 25, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »
Simple stuff like jumping felt like an awkward third person shooting game or something...

etiolate

« Reply #187 on: August 25, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
It all works and it all works right. They do things differently, even the jumping (more realistic gravity), but traversing ground and pvp would not work like it does if it was problematic.

L2P

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
Keep fucking that chicken
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2012, 02:21:04 PM »
Couple of my WoW buddies (outside of Etoilet) are loving the game too, I'm gonna have to bite soon

etiolate

« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
Epic Image Post of the Adventure of Chu Chu & Zed
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

We spent about an hour or two just exploring the city of Divinity's Reach, and then I took us through a portal to the city of Ebonhawke.  Ebonhawke was mostly empty, as its a 30-40s level zone. There was only three people there including the two of us. We were trying for a Vista when I found an organ inside a room with two doors. Interacting with the organ brought up that new control bar where you play notes. My theory is that playing the right melody opens one of the doors and you can continue on to the Vista.

I also found Gwen's grave, which only means anything if you played the first game.

etiolate

« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »
Remember guys, Ruzbeh agrees with you!

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #192 on: August 26, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
do you all have shit computers or does this game look like shit
USA

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #193 on: August 26, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Ruzbeh has made me reconsider which side of the line in the sand I'm on

ManaByte

« Reply #194 on: August 26, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
I'm running on integrated graphics rite nao but TBH, given how it's still not running well for some people, this game doesn't have particularly good graphics. Although the art direction mostly makes up for it. Looks better than TERA for me, that's for fucking sure.

Been watching some livesteams and it looks like GW but with new character models and UI.
CBG

ManaByte

« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
This game is out of alpha?

CBG

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #196 on: August 26, 2012, 09:23:05 PM »
I'm gonna be honest- I know practically nothing about this game, but from etoilet's mega pic post I can conclude a few things

-grafx sux
-whatever race etoilet and cg are playing as is a twee monstrosity for the whimsy addled set
-it looks like etoilet likes playing house... BORING.  games should be about killing fucking monsters n shit.  this is why mmos are universally dogshit and arpgs are where it's at.  no dumb guild activities, no dumb job crap, no feggity playing house.  MANLY KILLING OF MONSTERS AS MEN SHOULD DO.  then acquiring of loot.  i am judging every single one of you who show any signs of enjoying this nonsense.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #197 on: August 26, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »
At least ManaByte'a criticisms make sense, and he's an mmo fan. Your trolling is tiring, Ruzbeh, and obsessive enough to make it ineffective. You're over doing it, which I guess makes since given your mental disorder makes it hard to determine what level of emotion is enough

Anyway I actually like the graphics. It's the type of game that looks better in motion than pics. I'll probably pick it up in the next couple weeks.

edit: I agree the UI is shit
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 10:14:08 PM by Phoenix Dark »

etiolate

« Reply #198 on: August 26, 2012, 10:21:43 PM »
The game is gorgeous and highly detailed. All of this while being a huge world without copy/pasted trees and houses. There's also a lot of stuff to do. I just found Oola's abondoned lab. It's a technological ruin, full of hologram recordings of Oola's research, notes left here and there, and even a treasure chest at the end. If Orl's Krewe is inside, they trigger a dynamic event to help protect them. Unfortunately, the DE was bugged when I was there. I think it may have been completed and the UI was still showing it as active. When I talked to the NPC, he was a merchant offering a unique item. That normally happens when a DE has been completed successfully.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #199 on: August 26, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
I'm not trolling. Note the reserved, disappointed tone of my previous post - that's not the passive aggressive excitement of a troll, or the bitter tears of a fanboy - it's simply the reserved reaction of a father realizing his only son is a failure. I took you under my wing years ago, and this is my repayment?

Guild Wars 2 is just........ yeah. One of the worst games I've ever played.

trying too hard

Freyj

« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2012, 12:23:03 AM »
In the interest of maintaining credibility of those who criticize GW2 I think you should voluntarily shitban yourself from this thread, ManaShite. None of the shit you say seems to make sense.

I could be wrong, but isn't GW2 running on a heavily modified GW1 engine?

I think most sane people ducked out of the GAF GW2 thread a long time ago. Any negativity whatsoever is circle-jerked away. No point in attempting to read it, much less participate in the discussion.

etiolate

« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2012, 12:58:45 AM »
I've had little trouble with my criticisms of the game being received in that thread. Maybe if you had criticisms that made any sense or didn't equate to being a noob then it might go over better. I've pissed on the Mesmer design, the sPVP being only one kind, the downed state, and the way performance has been all over the place for different people. I just don't troll, so learn how to argue and discuss.

Not to say that there aren't a few posters who are way too overhyped and defensive.

But if you walk into a thread and spout factually incorrect things or make ridiculous comparisons, then you're going to get yelled at.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2012, 02:22:01 AM »
its an MMO- get whatcha get. Ive been enjoying secret world - like SWTOR, I dont get how the MM portion of it works- I just follow the story and dink around.
o_0

etiolate

« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2012, 03:25:31 AM »
How far are you in Secret World?

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Ruz is DEFINITELY making me rethink my allegiance... (not that I'm incredibly anti-GW2, but if he hates it so much, probably I should check it out?)
乱学者

MrAngryFace

« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2012, 02:46:02 PM »

Faction Rank 3 is the closest thing to level? I've been finishing up the second phase of zombie land- im all shotgun/pistols; magic is for PUSSIES. This is a mostly older picture of my character- have a tier 4 shotgun now which looks awesome.

o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
As a PvE guy, I'm rather concenred about it in GW2. What I saw in the beta was encouraging to a degree, but overall I'm someone who likes doing dungeons and raiding - both of which seem lacking in this game. I loved all the quests I did in the beta, and from what I've seen and heard they only get more interesting. But just doing quests would probably become boring eventually...

etiolate

« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »

Faction Rank 3 is the closest thing to level? I've been finishing up the second phase of zombie land- im all shotgun/pistols; magic is for PUSSIES. This is a mostly older picture of my character- have a tier 4 shotgun now which looks awesome.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

How does the combat to investigate/adventure ratio hold up over time? I loved the little investigative quests. I tried a scenario/dungeon, but didn't like it due to the combat system. In the beta, I found myself doing the quests that had interesting stories or methods.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2012, 03:05:22 PM »
The combat can be frustrating, because a lot of movements like evading (which has a cooldown) can require split second timing- and double tapping wasd while hitting top rows while aiming the camera while timing actions based on accumulated resource points can drive a man mad. (this coming from someone that 10 man hard mode ulduar) There's a lot to fix in the interface- there is no doubt about that.

The combat system would have been better if it emulated something like Tera - the available weapons scream for it, but instead we have a somewhat awkward hybrid of old and new. The missions are fun- I see people rave about them probably more than I would though. There is one specifically where people are all OMG THIS IS THE BEST MISSION IN AN MMO EVER and im like wut it was actually a little obnoxious. Really any of the stealth sneaking whole place blows up if you hit a trip laser missions are not so fun because again- modern game mechanic with some old ass MMO control scheme.

THAT SAID- i'm approaching this game here and there- I suspect straight up catassing will result in a less forgiving verdict. The games different, and it feels like its honestly trying to bring something unique and evolve the MMO quest as we know it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a lot to fix. Plus funcom- they support and evolve their MMOs to the final moment- regardless of popularity.
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
I post where I wanna post
o_0

etiolate

« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/27/impressions-levels-1-15-in-guild-wars-2/

He mixes up Hearts and DEs, but does a pretty good write-up. I hope they fix the Trading Post and the Join In/Grouping problem by real launch. As in, by tomorrow.

PD: I love the PVE. There's a lot to do and you can sort of go whatever route or way you want with how you progress. I do feel doing everything is the best way to go about the game though.

When I tire of Hearts and Dynamic Events, then I do the exploring stuff like Points of Interest and Vistas. When I run out of things to do in an immediate area, I just walk around until I see something interesting in the distance. I run to there, and something normally happens or pops up. When I want a break from the open world, I go to a city and do some crafting or exploring. After that, I can do story quests for my character or join my friend's story quest. The stories vary base on race, and character creation choices, and they branch in different paths due to choices made in them. CG and I have different story quests even though we're the same, so we can do each others without repeating stuff. My Charr Engineer is Ash Legion, so my story quests have involved spying and stealth. My Asuran Story Quests have to do with my progress as a Krewe member (basically your science team), and growing more renown as a genius. In my story, I had to deal with this character named Teyo who stole my team's teleportation device. When we went to ambush her peeps, we got ourselves ambushed. Apparently, the old man krewe cheif sold us out. I then had to break out of their prison, and then free Mr Sparkles (A Golem), and then the next two parts involved jailbreaks for a main character, and then a choice of freeing my partner Pol, or going after the old man who sold us out. I decided to free my comrade, and so he was in the next part of Story Quest. It was the final showdown with Teyo, and it involved fighting her and her teleportation gun turret. The turret would zap me and my allies, teleporting us to somewhere else in the room. So you had to rush to the top to beat down the turret and it's batteries before it teleported you back to the bottom. Meanwhile, Teyo the boss is fighting us, along with some of her Inquest foot soldiers. It was pretty hard, but I managed to finish it. I let Zoijja the story NPC mess with Teyo, I stealthed away from random mobs, and AOE bursted the turret and batteries when I got to the top. After we took those out, I focused on Teyo and ignored her Golem bodyguard. This made short work of her and the mission ended. I then got a sort-of promotion and a reward.

You do fight a lot of waves of enemies with the Dynamic Event system, but the combat keeps it fun. Every hour or two, I switch up my weapon sets and that changes playstyle and feel. You can then toss in utility skills as you get them to provide more options. Even though you can unlock about all your weapon skills by level 8-10, it takes awhile to master them all and get the most out of them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:30:10 PM by etiolate »

Freyj

« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
I love TSW's UI, so clean.

Game has a stellar ambiance. Unfortunately Blue Mountains was enough of a bore to make me drop the game 2-3 weeks in and I'm not paying a sub for it. I hear the content gets a lot more interesting after that, but the generic quests start to require more and more enemies and the enemies seem to take longer and longer to kill. There are usually a few particularly prominent quest chains in each zone, the Theme Park in Savage Coast being one of the better ones I played.

Maybe if you had criticisms that made any sense or didn't equate to being a noob then it might go over better.

But if you walk into a thread and spout factually incorrect things or make ridiculous comparisons, then you're going to get yelled at.

That's never happened, but I haven't been since BWE1 or a little afterwards. Prior to that I was as excited about the game as anyone else. This isn't my first time dealing with a rabid MMO-hyped fanbase and GAF's GW2 gang is up there with the best of them. There's not even a Londa about for entertainment purposes.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »
Seems like the TOR crowd is the sanest mmo community on GAF. At least they can recognize and admit to reality; last time I visited they were talking about switching to GW2.

The WoW folks are overly excited for MoP to baffling levels. I know many WoW players who are either indifferent, don't care, or are reserved to the fact that they'll buy MoP regardless of how they feel about it. I don't see any nuance in the GAF thread though, everyone is hyped. And for what?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2012, 09:15:51 PM »
Seems like the TOR crowd is the sanest mmo community on GAF. At least they can recognize and admit to reality; last time I visited they were talking about switching to GW2.

The WoW folks are overly excited for MoP to baffling levels. I know many WoW players who are either indifferent, don't care, or are reserved to the fact that they'll buy MoP regardless of how they feel about it. I don't see any nuance in the GAF thread though, everyone is hyped. And for what?

:shh they're all sekrit furries
yar

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21:11 PM »
SWTOR was ok. I enjoyed Sith Warrior and the story line but raiding was piss easy and it was just boring once you got max level. REally should've just been a single player game
USA

MrAngryFace

« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »
I love TSW's UI, so clean.

Game has a stellar ambiance. Unfortunately Blue Mountains was enough of a bore to make me drop the game 2-3 weeks in and I'm not paying a sub for it. I hear the content gets a lot more interesting after that, but the generic quests start to require more and more enemies and the enemies seem to take longer and longer to kill. There are usually a few particularly prominent quest chains in each zone, the Theme Park in Savage Coast being one of the better ones I played.

Maybe if you had criticisms that made any sense or didn't equate to being a noob then it might go over better.

That's never happened, but I haven't been since BWE1 or a little afterwards. Prior to that I was as excited about the game as anyone else. This isn't my first time dealing with a rabid MMO-hyped fanbase and GAF's GW2 gang is up there with the best of them. There's not even a Londa about for entertainment purposes.

The crafting system is downright WEIRD- I dunno what im doing
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #216 on: August 27, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »

:shh they're all sekrit furries

For all my shit talking I'm gonna buy MoP and resub  :lol

My relationship with WoW is best described by QT's Like a Virgin explanation in Reservoir Dogs

MrAngryFace

« Reply #217 on: August 27, 2012, 09:54:38 PM »
I LIKED Tera as a game- but GOD DAMN that player-base. I've never seen so much open chat about screwing characters that look 8 years old. At least the furries kept their crap on the down-low
o_0

Freyj

« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:craft-patterns

Minecraft Lite!

This is my personal observation and probably isn't worth shit, but I see a lot of folks extremely excited about MoP that came into WoW at Wrath. So, to them this is "the expansion that could save WoW after Cata ruined it". The people I played with in Vanilla and BC went through these feelings years ago and either don't give a shit about MMOs anymore or are too jaded to buy yet another WoW expansion.

Back on topic: GameFly still has a 20% off code that's working for this. 1GFT82012. Probably not too bad a bargain considering how Guild Wars and it's expansions held their price points considerably better than their counterparts that don't have Warcraft in the title (maybe that as well now).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:11:34 PM by Freyj »

etiolate

« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »
sazzy on GAF came into WoW with Cata and this is his first expansion. He's hyped and loved the game for Cata. EXPLAIN THAT.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:craft-patterns

Minecraft Lite!

Thanks for the link- should help
o_0

etiolate

« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2012, 10:50:56 PM »
Yeah it's basically Minecraft, but I could never figure out how you added stat mods to the basic shape.

ManaByte

CBG

etiolate

« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »
If you were enjoying Guild Wars 2 during the headstart weekend, you weren't alone. In fact, chances are 400,000 others were doing the same thing at the same time. Although Guild Wars 2 only officially launched in the wee hours of this morning, the game has already hosted 400,000 users online concurrently. At the same time. Yes.

ArenaNet and NCsoft have also announced that over one million copies of the game were pre-sold, not counting the one-day pre-orders. Of course, that number will rise as folks purchase the game now that it has launched.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-hits-400k-concurrent-users-before-launch/
http://techland.time.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-sales-one-million-pre-served-record-400000-playing-at-once/

2 million first month?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:42:07 PM by etiolate »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2012, 05:46:51 PM »
I told my boss the controls in gw2 sucked and he just did  ::)

Like it was some second coming.

etiolate

« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2012, 05:58:57 PM »
I'd roll my eyes, too.

CG and I did Sharkmaw Caverns last night. It's one of the coolest things I've seen in a MMO or maybe even a vidya game. It's just cool that they have it in there, that it's part of a city, and that it's voice acted with funny dialogue. In case any of you papsmears buy the game, I won't spoil it much for you. I'll just say it's cool and was a pretty epic moment running across it.
Epic SCREENS

Mixed in there is my mesmer, my engineer, Sharkmaw Caverns, a huge Fire Elemental raid boss, and some action shots.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
I LIKED Tera as a game- but GOD DAMN that player-base. I've never seen so much open chat about screwing characters that look 8 years old. At least the furries kept their crap on the down-low
Hay guyz how do i installed korean vers characters models pax  ???
Hi

Freyj

« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
sazzy on GAF came into WoW with Cata and this is his first expansion. He's hyped and loved the game for Cata. EXPLAIN THAT.

Naivety.

They haven't seen the damage time inflicts.

Thanks for the link- should help

The other guides linked at the top nav are pretty decent as well, if a bit wordy.

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics
http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:talisman-mechanics
http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:sp-chart
http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:randominfo
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:57:03 PM by Freyj »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2012, 09:57:05 AM »
I have some Gamestop credit and I could get this, but then I think of the floaty controls and the clusterfuck UI.

Ruzbeh more opinions please to keep me fromt his game.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2012, 10:36:57 AM »
I have some Gamestop credit and I could get this, but then I think of the floaty controls and the clusterfuck UI.

Ruzbeh more opinions please to keep me fromt his game.

PLAY MOAR D3
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2012, 10:44:55 AM »
I have two weeks off soon  :teehee

D3, CS:GO or GW2?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
I have two weeks off soon  :teehee

D3, CS:GO or GW2?

Depends- do you like KILLIN MONSTERS AND GETTIN PHAT LEWT, or SHEWTIN DOODZ, or maybe getting exp for looking at pretty scenery while basically indulging in a chat client masquerading as a game?
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »
Is CS GO any good? I'm kind of itching for a team based FPS

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »

Uh, you do know TF2 just released something along those lines.  Unless you're talking about pvp teams.  Pvp anything bores the fucking shit out of me, though.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2012, 01:48:50 PM »
I love how etiolate's screens made the game look bad. I mean I'm running at lower settings and my game looks better. :lol

And I have to say my female human Guardian is sexy as FUCK. DAMN.

Uh, you do know TF2 just released something along those lines. 

wut

http://www.teamfortress.com/mvm/

It's not pvp, but as previously stated pvp is for fucking wankers who want to waive their e-peen about.
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »

Just as good as other CS games.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »

Uh, you do know TF2 just released something along those lines.  Unless you're talking about pvp teams.  Pvp anything bores the fucking shit out of me, though.

Not really into TF2; I don't like the weapons/classes. I've been looking for something more along the lines of Wolfenstein ET

TF2 isn't bad of course, I just can't get into it for long periods of time. I've probably installed/uninstalled it 5 times

etiolate

Re: Guild Wars 2 - U Jelly
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2012, 03:09:01 PM »
I'm Level 23. Going to try to get some heavier leveling done today. I have yet to try out the dungeons and I'd like to do one. I hope the group system issues clear up for my potential dungeon runs.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »
I'm gonna be honest- I know practically nothing about this game, but from etoilet's mega pic post I can conclude a few things

-grafx sux
-whatever race etoilet and cg are playing as is a twee monstrosity for the whimsy addled set
-it looks like etoilet likes playing house... BORING.  games should be about killing fucking monsters n shit.  this is why mmos are universally dogshit and arpgs are where it's at.  no dumb guild activities, no dumb job crap, no feggity playing house.  MANLY KILLING OF MONSTERS AS MEN SHOULD DO.  then acquiring of loot.  i am judging every single one of you who show any signs of enjoying this nonsense.

playing dress up is manlier than playing house

got it
Tonya

MrAngryFace

Re: Guild Wars 2 - U Jelly
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »
yeah whatever race that is, its a big turn off. I must be MMO racist :(
o_0