Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 - U jelly cuz its free  (Read 81421 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Guild Wars 2 - U Jelly
« Reply #300 on: September 03, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »
Etoilet's WoW complaints were always fair. I wish he'd try out some of the Cata raids though, but it's probably too late.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #301 on: September 03, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
I'd argue WoW's PvE was near perfect. Haven't seen anything that compares to their raids

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
why is targeting such shit in this game. i'll just randomly lose my target  ???
USA

Damian79

« Reply #303 on: September 03, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
I'm not saying WoW was perfect. I'm just saying: WoW at launch is fucking WAY ahead of GW2 at launch.

Were you at the wow launch?

I had a TON bugs with vanilla wow.  Then it was perfectly balance though.  Now it is shit to cater to the casuals.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
I'm not saying WoW was perfect. I'm just saying: WoW at launch is fucking WAY ahead of GW2 at launch.

Were you at the wow launch?

I had a TON bugs with vanilla wow.  Then it was perfectly balance though.  Now it is shit to cater to the casuals.

Tons of bugs at launch?

Is this the US launch you're talking about? Cause EU launch was few months later and I don't remember any bugs.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
Yeah I was in US beta too actually before launch :)

Dont remember any bugs either.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2012, 10:05:27 AM »
Is the UI still so cluttered?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #307 on: September 04, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »
I dont get the whole cutscene business, it doesn't make sense to take you out of the game into this weird 90's convo screen.

Realtime and in-game is where it's at for immersion.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #308 on: September 04, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
I was in the US beta AND the euro beta and I don't remember bugs in either, although I should say I only made level 18 in US beta.
lol

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #309 on: September 04, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »
this game is weird . it does a horrible job explaining anything to you and doesn't feel well balanced. still, mezmer is kinda fun but how the fuck are they going to keep this shit interesting for what 80 levels?
USA

etiolate

« Reply #310 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
This game is so good. The U Jelly crew are master treasure hunters.

SCREENS

FatalT

« Reply #311 on: September 04, 2012, 07:29:52 PM »
I don't understand how video games can make someone so upset and angry.

Damian79

« Reply #312 on: September 04, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »
Yeah I was in US beta too actually before launch :)

Dont remember any bugs either.

I was in the US version when it was released.  It had a fuck ton of bugs for me that crashed the game and made it impossible to complete some quests.  It also had huge queue times.

Upon release, a small number of quests had software bugs that made them impossible to complete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

Game spot review.

The Bad

Some stability issues immediately following launch   
Player-versus-player elements not complete.

VAnilla wow was awesoem though, but being bug free was total bullshit.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:33:50 PM by Damian79 »

Damian79

« Reply #313 on: September 04, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
I was in the US version when it was released.  It had a fuck ton of bugs for me that crashed the game and made it impossible to complete some quests.

Maybe you were playing it on a Mac?

Nope.  Never had a mac never will.

etiolate

« Reply #314 on: September 05, 2012, 03:35:44 AM »
I ran into my first dragon today in a level 50 area. Don't have much to say about the fight because I got there late, and was overloaded a bit by all the stuff going on. There were turrets, monsters attacking the turrets, tons of adds, and then dragon himself. I didn't even get credit for the kill I don't think. I hit the dragon a few times though, but the treasure chest didn't pop for me. I spent too much time trying to take a screenshot. The thing is so huge it's hard to get it in screen at close range.

lolz

That pet is how I felt at first.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2012, 03:44:15 AM »
whoa. Rift sized boss

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »
That lynx looks so stupid. Moas ftw.

etiolate

« Reply #317 on: September 06, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »
CG, Rodi and I did Ascalon Catacombs story mode, and earlier in the day I did Cadacus Manor Explorable Mode.

The U Jelly's crew did a pretty good run of AC Story. It was much smoother than my first go. It helped that I knew all the pulls and brought all the tools I did at the end of the last run to the start of this run. Our fight with the Two Lovers was much better than my first encounter with that boss, even though it did involve corpse running. It's just a far more difficult boss than the others. This time, I set myself on knockback duty of the Mesmer boss and had the other four fight the Ele girl. This was working, but we needed to be a bit faster on getting each other up. I was so concentrated on keeping the Mesmer at a distance that I didn't get back to rally the rest when they went down.

The other three bosses were all clean kills. There were downed states, but you will go into downed state in the game. There were no "wipes" though. Everyone did really well avoiding Foefire versus the King. I also realized those pillars on the platform are good for line of sighting him. He will yank everyone in towards him though.

We did have some troubles with the minibosses early on, but that was when everyone was adjusting to the difficulty spike.

CM Explore Mode was crazy hard. Some stuff were little tricks and rules we didn't understand at first. Some boss fights were really cool. Some situations were quite hard. One situation felt impossible and we quit. It was a room full of mobs, many of champion or veteran level with a few scattered normal mobs. We just kept dying to the overflow of mobs. I think maybe aoe blinds would have helped, but I wasn't sure how many we had to apply.

The other problem was my lag was terrible at the start. I reset my router and modem and it cleared up lag for the rest of the night, but before that the lag spikes were huge and it was like I wasn't even there. One room had a lot of enemies, and eventually we pulled them one by one. Another area was a hallway with doors to the side. At the middle of the hallway were to rifleman mobs. Beyond the rifleman mob was a miniboss. Along the hallway were two rooms. The first room had a bunch of turrets setup that would attack anyone going down the hallway. The second room had a few mobs. Eventually, after dying a lot, we stealthed into the first room and took out the turrets. Then we did the two rifleman. Then we stealthed into the second room and cleared it. Then we took out the annoying Net turret by the miniboss. This whole time I was lagged out, so I can't really say how it went. They gave up on it and reset my modem. They found another route that lead directly to bosses that mattered.

One of these bosses was a thief that would attack for awhile and then stealth. When they came out of stealth, they would hit a random group member so hard they would immediatly go into downed state. There were ways to avoid this. You could see the slight tell before she appeared and dodge, or you could put protection on yourself before she reappeared and hope it reduces the damage enough to survive, or you could activate a block while she was stealthed and have it last long enough to the point she pops back in. The aegis boon accomplishes the same thing, if activated in time like the protection boon.  I equipped two blocks and handled it that way. She still got me a couple of times when I wasn't quick enough with the block.

For downing the bosses, I got treasure chest loot and dungeon tokens. The token can be traded in for gear. There was a level appropriate set and then the higher level exotic set. I want to say the level appropriate set was like 25-30 tokens a piece, and the exotic higher level set was like 200 a piece. We each got 5 tokens for each boss kill.

One important note is that the explorable mode run featured an entirely different route from the story mode. I saw parts of the Mansion I hadn't seen before. We went down different wings of the Mansion and found ourselves outside in a barn, and going through the back of the barn to some caves I hadn't seen before. It wasn't just the same dungeon with boss replacements.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:36:14 PM by etiolate »

etiolate

« Reply #318 on: September 06, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
For Ruzbeh:
http://www.pcgamer.com/review/guild-wars-2-review/

Reviewing an MMO after its first week is lol.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #319 on: September 06, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »
ITT Ruzbeh argues PC Gamer is a sham

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #320 on: September 06, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »
ITT Ruzbeh argues PC Gamer is a sham

They gave Sleeping Dogs a 74/100 and Binary Domain a 54/100.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #321 on: September 06, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »
guess they must be shitty games then, huh :smug

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #322 on: September 08, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
ArenaNet hacked less than a month after release. 11,000 accounts compromised:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/09/guild-wars-2-password-attack-affects-10000-accounts/

CBG

etiolate

« Reply #323 on: September 08, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »
It was a Guild Wars fansite that was hacked, and people were using the same login credentials for their GW2 account.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #324 on: September 08, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
It was a Guild Wars fansite that was hacked, and people were using the same login credentials for their GW2 account.

If ArenaNet offered an Authenticator, that wouldn't have been a problem. Even clueless BioWare knew enough to offer one AT LAUNCH.
CBG

etiolate

« Reply #325 on: September 08, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
They have email authentication.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #326 on: September 08, 2012, 09:48:09 PM »
I liked the authenticator when WoW first rolledoutowaitlol
o_0

ManaByte

« Reply #327 on: September 09, 2012, 02:58:37 AM »
They have email authentication.

Their email authentication amounts to the user receiving an email when someone logs into their account from a different IP. Not exactly the same.
CBG

Damian79

« Reply #328 on: September 09, 2012, 03:49:15 AM »
So i guess it is because of dumbasses like these that i have to use an authenticator for wow?  I hate that authenticator bs that i get constantantly prompting me to get an authenticator.  Which is why i wont play another WoW game again.

ManaByte

« Reply #329 on: September 09, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »
So i guess it is because of dumbasses like these that i have to use an authenticator for wow?  I hate that authenticator bs that i get constantantly prompting me to get an authenticator.  Which is why i wont play another WoW game again.

Because downloading a free app on your phone is so fucking hard.
CBG

MrAngryFace

« Reply #330 on: September 09, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »
quit bein alll butthurt and go play your MMO of choice
o_0

Damian79

« Reply #331 on: September 09, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »

Because downloading a free app on your phone is so fucking hard.

That isnt it.  I just cant be fucked having to get a key on my phone every time i want to play.

etiolate

« Reply #332 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »
ANet opened up digital sales on their website again, and Amazon got a bunch of new digital keys to sell. They must have upped their server capacity or are ready to open brand new servers.

They also released a shitty launch trailer a week after launch.

wtf seriously

etiolate

« Reply #333 on: September 11, 2012, 05:15:22 AM »
So I had a pretty epic, random moment that showed off the combat system and the world design of the game.

I was at this Norn outpost in the southernmost end of Lornar's Pass. CrystalGemini is with me, and I go there just to sell some stuff and then afk to refill my cup IRL. When I get back, CG informs me that there's a vista and a cave, but the cave is "not that deep" and "there's no way to get to that vista". I look and see the vista. It's atop some rocks on the side of the mountain we're near. I try going up some nearby rocks, but that path quickly ends. CG points out a rock that you must jump down from in order to get to the ledge with the vista. The rock is way up there though. I scroll back the map and see what looks like a pathway up the mountain some bit further up north. Now CG has to AFK and I say, "well if this path leads there, I'll drop a Mesmer Portal for you to get up to the vista." And with that, off I go on my little adventure.

I come across the mountain pathway and see its lined with Ettisn and Grubs. Grubs are worm creatures not worth worrying about, but Ettins are some of the hardest hitting mobs in the game. One of their club swings can take out half your health, and they also do a knockdown. Pretty nasty if you don't dodge. I didn't feel like fighting a horde of Ettins, so I change my weapon and skill setup to stealth and escape. This is what I equipped:

Staff

Winds of Chaos         Bounce an orb of energy between foes and allies that applies random boons to allies and random conditions to foes.

Phase Retreat   Clone      Teleport away from your target, summoning a clone that casts Winds of Chaos.

Phantasmal Warlock   Phantasm       Summon an illusion that deals extra damage for each unique condition on the target foe.

Chaos Armor          Give yourself chaos armor, which gives yourself [sic] random boons and your foe random conditions whenever you are struck.

Chaos Storm          Create a magical storm at the target location that applies random conditions to foes and random boons to allies.

Skill    Type       Description
Sword

Mind Slash   Chain       Slash your foe to make them vulnerable.

- -Mind Gash          Gash your foe to make them vulnerable.

---Mind Stab          Stab your foe and rip a boon off of them.

Blurred Frenzy          Strike your foe with a flurry of strikes, distorting the space around you, making you evade attacks.

Illusionary Leap   Clone       Summon an illusion that leaps at your target, crippling them.

- Swap          Swap locations with your clone. Immobilize nearby foes.

Torch

The Prestige         Disappear in a cloud of smoke, blinding nearby foes. Reappear three seconds later, burning nearby foes.

Phantasmal Mage   Phantasm       Create an illusion that confuses foes and grants retaliation to allies.

Decoy   Clone       Gain stealth and summon an illusion to attack your foe.
 Blink   Manipulation      Teleport to a target location.
 Signet of Inspiration   Signet          Passive: Grants a random boon every ten seconds. Active: Copy all of your boons to nearby allies.

Plus my heal skill and a elite called Time Warp, which is like a AOE targeted Heroism/Bloodlust.

Anyways, I go in and use my stealth, escapes and decoys to avoid fighting mobs. At the very top route, I find several Veteran level Ettins and one Champion Ettin boss. I'm like fuck that and go around to the other pathway. As I get there, I notice a player in that exact area near the Vista ledge has gone down and has two ettins beating his face in. I pop in, drop some Illusions to mess with the Ettins, drop Chaos Shield on myself, and then Chaos Storm on top of them all, and then rez the Engineer player. He gets up and we finish off the two Ettins. We both try hopping on the rock ledge there to get to that vista, but neither of us figure out how to do it. So we both head back up the mountain, killing Ettins along the way.

We both make our way back to that top path, hoping therein lies the route to the Vista. Before us stand about three to four Veteran Ettins (think oldschool wow elites). We pull them one by one, using our skills. I notice the Engineer is using a bunch of turrets and we're handling these Ettins pretty well. After we clear out the Veteran Ettins, the boss Champion Ettin remains. (Higher up than an Elite, like a dungeon boss almost.) Just beyond the Champion Ettin is a hut with a treasure chest inside. So it's like.. AH HAH! We stand there staring at the boss, and make sure there's no more vet Ettins around. We don't talk to each other, but I go in first with a Chaos Storm on top of the boss, followed by my Warlock Phantasm. The fight begins.

Both of us are pretty good at kiting, and I'm using my all my Phantasms right off the bat. About a quarter of a way in, a Ranger shows up and joins our fight. He goes down pretty quickly, but we rez him up. The Engy has dropped all his turrets. He has a healing turret which applies Regeneration to allies, a Net turret which immobilizes, and a Flame Turret that does burning and has a second option to emit blinding smoke. The Ranger has his pet to tank a little, and he's using Healing Spring as a group and self heal. I am using Chaos Storm as often as I can, for the daze and other conditions disable the boss, along with the swap off my Illusion Leap chainskill to immobilize the Boss and keep him off the other two. The Net turret is netting the boss inbetween my Swap immobolizations. Every time I swap in, I follow with a Blurred Frenzy so the boss cannot hit me while I'm close. After that, I strafe around back of the boss and hit from behind. When he turns on me, I use The Prestige to Blind him and creep around in stealth. I also use the Prestige to blind him before he tries to hit the others. I then weapon swap again back to Staff to Chaos Storm and keep Warlock DPS up. Off and on, I'll shatter to inflict damage, or to pull off a Diversion to daze the Boss and disable his damage. The Engineer is using his Net Turret and bleeds, and Flame Turrets blind. The Ranger is using ranged attacks, pet tanking and Healing Spring. We basically ktie/disable the boss continuously.

Then the Veteran Ettins respawn on top of us. The Ranger goes down again, but we bring him back up. I switch my Phantasms to the Veterans, and my primary attacks to the Boss. The Phantasms and AOE take down the Veterans, and I AOE blind with Prestige whenever they are about to attack.

It's a long fight, but eventually we take the Boss and all the respawns down. It involved a lot of teamplay. We combo fielded to apply heals to ourselves via the Ranger or Engineer's aoe healing skills, or by Chaos Shield effects off my Chaos Storm. I also had the trait that made my Phantasms periodically grant Regeneration to nearby allies, so keeping my Phantasms up kept a Heal over Time tick on all three of us.

I loot the boss, get a masterwork item, and then we open the chest and I get like four blues out of it. So a good haul of loot was had and it was a pretty challenging, skilled fight. Then.. it was back to trying to find a way to the vista. The top route had no way up there, so we went back to the cliff where I found the Engineer fighting for his life. Eventually, the Engineer finds the angle between one rock to the next to make it over the ledge. I follow him, hop over the rock, and down to the ledge with the Vista. CG is back from AFK, I equip Portal and drop a portal at the rock top, and one down below by her. Mission Accomplished.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: September 11, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
ANet opened up digital sales on their website again, and Amazon got a bunch of new digital keys to sell. They must have upped their server capacity or are ready to open brand new servers.

They also released a shitty launch trailer a week after launch.

wtf seriously

:wtf
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:18:36 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

FatalT

« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
:wtf

etiolate just posted that video two posts ago.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »
Beyond glancing at what Ruzbeh's currently complaining about, I don't pay much attention to this thread.
dog

Damian79

« Reply #337 on: September 12, 2012, 09:13:19 AM »
Your complaints are so inane.  OMG the world isnt alive!  Atleast in guild wars 2 it is possible to reach level 80 just by crafting.  SOmething you cant do in WoW.  I felt like wow penalised you for crafting.

etiolate

« Reply #338 on: September 12, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »
It was part of sales on places like GreenManGaming at or around launch.  So online sites may have sales you can use on the game. It will probably stay at $60 MSRP for a long time otherwise.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #339 on: September 12, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
Your complaints are so inane.  OMG the world isnt alive!  Atleast in guild wars 2 it is possible to reach level 80 just by crafting.  SOmething you cant do in WoW.  I felt like wow penalised you for crafting.

Jesus, I will never understand this.  It's part of the mmo mindset that is just so foreign to me.  "I'm gonna engage in banal, boring simulated crafting of items as opposed to fighting shit in order to achieve in this game."
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2012, 04:51:24 PM »
I bought it- i'll play it- prolly wont tell any of you about playing it.
o_0

Damian79

« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
Jesus, I will never understand this.  It's part of the mmo mindset that is just so foreign to me.  "I'm gonna engage in banal, boring simulated crafting of items as opposed to fighting shit in order to achieve in this game."

But the grinding to get items is boring too in these games.  And i find the crafting fun in GW2 as opposed to WoW which takes hours per level of crafting to do and you still dont get decent items for it.

etiolate

« Reply #342 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
I bought it- i'll play it- prolly wont tell any of you about playing it.

This is wise.

ManaByte

Guild Wars 2 - U Jelly
« Reply #343 on: September 12, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »

But the grinding to get items is boring too in these games.  And i find the crafting fun in GW2 as opposed to WoW which takes hours per level of crafting to do and you still dont get decent items for it.

WoW Engineering says you're wrong.
CBG

Damian79

« Reply #344 on: September 12, 2012, 09:44:48 PM »
Never did engineering.  *shrugs*

etiolate

« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
From Massively and the Official Forums:

NCsoft has just announced that the recently launched Guild Wars 2 has sold over two million copies. The record was reached shortly after sales resumed earlier this week. Sales were originally halted shortly after launch when the studio was overwhelmed with more players than they anticipated, which caused problems with server stability.

ArenaNet is launching an all-out assault on subscription MMOs according to a forum post by game designer Colin Johanson. "Guild Wars 2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from GW2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for," he said.

The company isn't abandoning the concept of profit for a barter economy just yet, though. The Black Lion Trading Company will feature additional offerings as well as "large-scale expansion content down the road," according to Johanson.

"We do appreciate that you'd like to buy lots of new content, but we'd prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, because that's what we think a responsible MMO company does," he said

That's a big semi-promise.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2012, 05:22:16 PM »
Just bought this. Hope it runs.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
Oh god. I don't even know what class I want to start off with.

Damian79

« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
Engineer is easy mode.

etiolate

« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
I really like Engineer myself. I would just play a few classes and then decide which one you like the most. There's currently no "shitty" class in the game.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #350 on: September 14, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »
Game is pretty fun so far. I do get the "where do I go" complaints though. But I'm having fun just walking abound and discovering whatever.

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #351 on: September 14, 2012, 03:01:41 AM »
All of the classes have their perks. Necromancers are a bunch of crazies with gross pets though  :-\

MrAngryFace

« Reply #352 on: September 14, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
Man alive this game runs shitty in the most unpredictable manner
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #353 on: September 14, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
Man alive this game runs shitty in the most unpredictable manner

Lies, I have it upon the firmest authority that this game simultaneously massages your prostate and licks your feet.  At least, that's what I gather from etoilet's posts.
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #354 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:23 PM »
im sure it plays ok, but there isnt much reason for this game to tax my current rig
o_0

etiolate

« Reply #355 on: September 14, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »
Do you have a NVidia card?

MrAngryFace

o_0

Damian79

« Reply #357 on: September 15, 2012, 01:39:59 AM »
Hmm thats weird.  I have a 5870 and playing it at max settings at roughly 73 fps.  I really dunno can you explain what exactly happens?

EDIT:  I see that card is slightly worse than mine on the spec sheet since it is a lap top card.  Try reducing the shadows?  I dunno.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:44:38 AM by Damian79 »

etiolate

« Reply #358 on: September 15, 2012, 01:45:47 AM »
The game shares the load between your processor and your vidcard. Normally the AMD cards have little issue though.

etiolate

« Reply #359 on: September 15, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »
I play with medium shadows and Terrain & Sky reflections. It helps with FPS. I don't supersample either. If I turn most of that on, it dips to 30 fps. Without that, its a good 40 fps in cities, 30fps in heavy WvWvW, and up to 70 fps elsewise. This is on a 5770.