Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 - U jelly cuz its free  (Read 81746 times)

etiolate

Guild Wars 2 - U jelly cuz its free
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »
Decided to take this out of the MMO thread.

Playing the beta this Friday. Any other boreritos playing? Gonna play a human mesmer.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:22:01 PM by Great Rumbler »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta unf unf UNF
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
Looking forward to getting info from you :rock

etiolate

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
All I can tell you so far is that the login screen is slick, clean and has pretty music.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:49:05 PM »
How does one get in this beta

etiolate

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
Oh I guess I should add that.

Either by pre-purchasing the game and entering the code at register.guildwars2.com

Or by beating up Andrex and stealing one of his PAX beta invite codes.

edit: Pre-purchases, at least on their store, seem to be on hold. They said if they ever reached a limit on pre-pruchases where the pre-purchases outweighed their beta server capacity they would stop the promotion.

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/digital-edition-sold-out/

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:01:16 PM by etiolate »

Freyj

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 01:23:34 AM »
Can't wait for the massive backlash when this isn't quite the second coming that everyone wanted it to be and these folks are already committed to buying it.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:50:22 AM »
*flips computer table*

etiolate

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:09:07 AM »
You should have gotten a beta code from Andrex! He was offering them.

etiolate

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
Aww yeah they let us in a little early. The combat is fast.  I just wandered in to an area that was not meant for solo and got my ass kicked.

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »
I guess I should try this since I have like four beta codes left.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
Spare me a code Andrex?

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
K, will do when I get home. Which one did you take Etoliate? The top one?

If I don't do it then remind me, I'm forgetful.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »
Cool man, thanks.

Now let me see if I can download the client before I get the key.

etiolate

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
I didn't take any beta code Andrex. I'm pre-purchased.

PD probably wants a key, too. You should be able to download the client without key. The link is in the GAF thread.

I'm on Henge of Denravi btw. PvP is kicking my ass, still getting used to having all my skills.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
I guess I should try this since I have like four beta codes left.

can i have a code. i take back what I said about you!

How long does the beta last?

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »
So far, very awesome. All the chick models are super hawt.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
Yo I'd be mad grateful if someone had a spare key to give to me.  I was a GW fiend back in the day.

etiolate

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »
I made a guild for bore peeps if they want in on Henge of Denravi. There's aGAF guild too, but you can be in multiple guilds.

Whisper me: etiolate.1946 is my battle code name whatever, that or Ironchef Zebes

Guild is The Supreme Boreritos [bore]

etiolate

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:47 PM »
Tons of lag in the Queensdale area right now. Everybody made humans. =|

Tasty

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »
PM'd the codes. Of course they were posted uncensored here in the PAX thread, but whatevs. I have two emergency codes if some of the ones I sent don't work, but I'm planning on using one of those myself.

etiolate

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
This is the beta client dowload, no code needed: http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe

Code lets you register at register.guildwars2.com which sets up your login information

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
Got kicked off and can't log in. Servers must be bogged down right now  :-\

etiolate

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »
Yeah servers are all down for 30 minutes. Every server is practically full if not overflowing. I kept getting overflow server for Queensdale (human starter area).

So some quick thoughts:

PVE: Very adventurous and chaotic and shit just happens. After the prologue part, I visit a scout who marks out some farms and farmers who need help all about the map. I walk up to the first farm and there's some worms attacking, with players already there. I begin feeding the cows and watering the plants when a giant Worm Queen appears. I switch to fighting the Queen and it goes down pretty fast. There are 10-30 people around me at this time. After the queen goes down, most everyone has gotten full credit, so people starting spreading out. I look at a map and decide to go to a farm down the road. When I get there, the farmer comes running out asking me to help deal with some bandits who are rustling his Moa Birds. (No text, just voice acted message.) I start checking bushes, some have bandits and others have moa birds hiding. I die when I pull two bandits. Actually, I died at the farm and the prologue too. Not fully dead, but "Fight to Survive" mode. The "downed state". Anyways, a ranger helps me and rezzes me up. I see two others go into this cave nearby, I follow them in. Inside the cave is the bandit hideout where the Moa Bird thieves are coming from. A group of us start taking down the bandits. I see a fenced in area full of Moa Birds, think "jackpot!" and jump in. I get owned by five bandit mobs. I respawn and come back. By then, more people have found the cave and are taking care of the bandits that attacked me. They finish them off and set the Moa Birds free. As with everything else, because I took part in it, I get credit even though I was the sacrificial lamb at first. Then we delve deeper into the cave, start climbing a spiral staircase and fighting some bats. At this point, I see the [GAF] guild tag and realize this is the gaffers crew. So I join up with them, we ascend the staircase inside the caverns and finally come across the bandit HQs. There's a bandit boss there, we fight him, and I go down a couple times until I find a sweet spot behind him. I should note that at this point I was a Mesmer without a casting weapon, so I have been playing as a melee clothie. By now, I've begun learning to use my distortion skill and dodge better and am dying far less often. We finish off the boss, and his prisoner offers us goods for sale. We also all get a reward for finishing this event that began outside at a Moa ranch and then ended up deep inside a cave. Someone gives me a staff, and I continue on with the GAF crew.

By this time, our group is like a 25-30 man zerg. I switch to the staff and we head towards an apple orchard down the way. Spiders pop out and I begin using my staff. My staff is great for large group combat and support. My main attack does damage, applies negative conditions to foes and gives my allies buffs(boons). By now, we've all stopped dying constantly. But back at the farm we just saved, some bandits have appeared for revenge and are attacking the farmer. We split between the orchard and helping the farmer, taking out about 10 waves of bandits. Get rewarded for that, go back to the apple orchard. More spiders have spawned and the thing has drastically scaled up. We have two spider events going at once. One of the events leads to a giant spider queen appearing and we zerg it down in a flurry of particle effects. By now, I had learned all my staff skills and pop Chaos Storm. I get tons of aoe damage and am buffing all the players tanking. We down the spider and disperse again.

I end up going to the river and tell everyone "hey there's an event over here". Unfortunately the chats are a bugged and guild chat and party chat were not accepting my messages. Either way, theres still 20-30 some people over here. There's a dam being attacked by harpies and earth elementals. The harpies are poking holes in the dam. I start plugging the holes when some harpies jump me and kick my ass. This area is a couple levels higher than me, so I wander back down to the river and start opening crab cages for a fisherman. Drakes begin attacking me, but I can handle those guys. The fisherman event was going sort of slow, so I head over to an area where my map is marking a downed player. This is a neat feature where any downed or dead players show on the map so you can go over and rez them. So i head that direction.

When I get there, I realize I'm back at the first farm,but now the farm is getting attacked by waves of Bandits who are setting the bales of hay on fire. I rez the guy on my map and then jump into the fray. Having learned my dodge and all better, I do far better at this event. I switch to put on a torch I just leveled up enough to use. I'm now sword/torch, which is like a magical thief. When I learn my fourth skilll, it's a stealth skill that makes me vanish in a puff of smoke that blinds my enemies then reappear in a burst of fire that burns foes. When we defeat the waves of bandits, the farmer yells "I thank you, my cows thank you. Everyone who eats beef or drinks milk thanks you!" I go to the farmer and buy some karma stuff off of her.

Now I return to the river and realize that the others had spawned a new event where a giant Drake appears to protect its nest of drake eggs. This is easily the toughest boss so far and it doesn't go down quickly despite the huge zerg. I switch back to staff and do support/damage. After that, I finish off the fisherman's event and then the dam event, which I now realize was two separate events going on at once.

There was never any real stop between all of these things. I kind of went around in a path I chose myself and found stuff going on. By the end,  I had gone from level 2 to level 6.

PvP: Structured PvP was hard at first. I had a built planned out and went straight to the build, but I wasn't used to having all my skills and an elite skill. I also didn't have as much defense and using mantras (which my build is based off of) requires a bit more work than using more direct skills. I got my butt handed to me a lot.

The next PvP I tried was the WvWvW. One server was totally dominating the entire map, as that server had planned to do nothing but PvP while the rest of us were PVEing it up. I ended up enjoying WvWvW alot inspite of that, and since I was stuck with the skills and weapon I had earned from PVE, I was more familiar with the build I was using. I also just unlocked weapon swapping and that gave me more ability to handle situations. By the end of WubWub, I was handling myself just fine and stacking conditions on the red team to help push them back. I was getting better at using my stealth and illusions to survive as well.

I returned to Conquest PvP later and used a different build that was somewhat similiar. I did far better this time and brought more stealth and defensive tools. I was able to handle 2 on 1 fights for prolonged periods without getting face smashed by the uneven odds.

Beta Issues:

Servers are getting hammered harder than I think ANet was truly ready for. Every server is full and overflowing and there was routine lag spikes. When I returned to PVE, I struggled to finish a new event because my skills weren't going off. As mentioned, there's bugs with chat right now. When I relogged, it fixed my party and guild chat, but rodi and CG couldn't see my party messages to them and I didn't see their whispers to me. Some people have had performance issues, but my settings aren't maxed but mostly on high with no FSAA and it runs fine. It's mostly the server lag that janks stuff up. WvWvW was running smoother than the PVE starter area, which causes me to believe its a population load issue.

Also, as I feared, there's issues with AI and the Mesmer illusions. If you summon an illusion on a siege door or a enemy that runs out of range, the illusion will just stand there not attacking or pursuing. You can't even use your distortion shatter on them to get use out of them.

Combat:

Quick, very quick. You can die fast and you attack fast. After a few hours I got use to activating skills while dodging at the same time. Sometimes this would cause issues where skills wouldn't activate. I think this may be lag caused as well. Using mantras in PVP didn't work correctly nor did my "Activate mantra twice" trait work correctly all the time.

Graphics:
Art so purdy. Lion's Arch is real neat and has a clockwork fountain in the middle with clockwork noises and horn sounds. I wandered around and found a bar in Lion's Arch that was inside the carcass of a shipwreck that had landed atop a precipice.  Divinity's Reach is massive. The scale is just nuts. I think I've explored like 15% of it. I realized I couldn't find the bankers because they were on an upper level above me. I just figured something that high up was decoration art and not really a place with stuff in it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 12:35:58 AM »
The fluidity of PVE action and events sounds amazing

Freyj

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 01:12:18 AM »
The only thing I'm really seeing that's different from the standard MMO fare is that you don't have to pick up quests. That entire process is more or less automated with multiple objectives that fill up a single bar of "experience" for the quest (turns out that killing things will pretty much always be the more interesting option when it is up against feed cows).

The actual content is more or less the same. Arguments abound that the above sets it apart, but I saw the same arguments made for TOR and it was still the same shit in a different wrapper. Dynamic Events feel pretty much exactly like Public Quests did in Warhammer. I liked Public Quests and all, but I'm just not super impressed by the DEs I've seen thus far.

Game is actually playable late at night it seems, whereas it was not earlier what with the horrific lag.

Honestly I enjoyed what I saw of TERA in the Open Beta Weekend more, and I still don't have any plans to purchase that as I've long ago learned my lesson on Korean MMOs.

etiolate

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 03:24:07 AM »
Did you actually play the beta Freyj?

There's quite a bit more different than just not needing to pick up quests. It's miles beyond War's PQs. Dynamic Events move around the map and have different outcomes. I was playing with CG and we failed an event at this water pump. Suddenly the sprinklers at the farm start spouting poison water and the worms turn into toxic blobs. We have to kill the blobs and collect poison samples to bring to a alchemist who will cleanse the water pumps. Since this happened, the well by the entrance to the city is poisoned as well. That well and the pumps are about 2 or 3 minutes apart. If we succeeded in defending the pumps, as I did before, then the poison doesn't show up. Instead, I followed a path into an understairs cavern, chasing down the bandits who were trying to poison everyone.

Also, when I returned to the first farm with CG, most of the worms were gone so we did feeding the cows and watering plants instead. I kind of prefer doing that actually.

The content isn't the same. When you kill ten bandits in Westfall, they just keep respawning and the world stays the same. When you kill off the bandits at the farm, they're gone. They don't respawn until the process of events starts over again. And they don't respawn as much as they come running from around a hill towards the bottom of the farm. If you don't defeat the bandits, as I saw when lag was hitting up the server, they run across the farm and become a mob zerg of their own. They headed right for the next farm after overrunning the first one.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:25:41 AM by etiolate »

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 05:36:20 AM »
Ya and all the farmers die. :(

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 06:05:22 AM »
Thanks Andrex  :)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »
Code has been used already and I downloaded the entire client :'(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:57:40 AM by Premium Lager »

Freyj

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
Did you actually play the beta Freyj?

There's quite a bit more different than just not needing to pick up quests. It's miles beyond War's PQs. Dynamic Events move around the map and have different outcomes. I was playing with CG and we failed an event at this water pump. Suddenly the sprinklers at the farm start spouting poison water and the worms turn into toxic blobs. We have to kill the blobs and collect poison samples to bring to a alchemist who will cleanse the water pumps. Since this happened, the well by the entrance to the city is poisoned as well. That well and the pumps are about 2 or 3 minutes apart. If we succeeded in defending the pumps, as I did before, then the poison doesn't show up. Instead, I followed a path into an understairs cavern, chasing down the bandits who were trying to poison everyone.

Also, when I returned to the first farm with CG, most of the worms were gone so we did feeding the cows and watering plants instead. I kind of prefer doing that actually.

The content isn't the same. When you kill ten bandits in Westfall, they just keep respawning and the world stays the same. When you kill off the bandits at the farm, they're gone. They don't respawn until the process of events starts over again. And they don't respawn as much as they come running from around a hill towards the bottom of the farm. If you don't defeat the bandits, as I saw when lag was hitting up the server, they run across the farm and become a mob zerg of their own. They headed right for the next farm after overrunning the first one.

No, I didn't play the Beta. I'll complete that argument for you by reminding myself to go back to WoW.

The worms at the first farm (Queensdale I'm presuming), come out when flatten their dirt mounds. That's probably why you weren't seeing any. So you either wait 5 minutes for more bandits to show up, flatten dirt mounds or feed cows.

Maybe there's better Dynamic Events than what I've seen, but the general impression I get is that unless you are in an underpopulated area, you'll just see the same "events" cycle around 3-4 times while you are completing Renown Hearts in that area.

Examples:
  • Escort soldier across a field of respawning groups of Centaurs. Follow a group of people and AoE/kill things.
  • Kill respawning bandits in a cave as you follow a winding path up to their leader. Probably the most interesting because there was an actual boss at the end, the part missing from the DEs I've seen that was in PQs. Still follow a group of people and AoE/kill things.
  • Kill respawning bandits at a farm until they stop. Follow a group of people and AoE/kill things.
  • Escort farmer with a bomb into a cave until he reaches a certain point. Follow a group of people and AoE/kill things.

Most of those I saw at least twice. Every time the objective was to follow a group of people and AoE/kill things. When you aren't doing that, the Renown Heart objectives are exactly the same old MMO fare, with the exception that you have "options" and don't need to pick up a quest.

I'm really not as down on the game as you are assuming though, I think there's good progress in certain areas and the genre sure as fuck needs it. I can deal with not being super impressed by the questing grind, as I didn't expect to be and have been around long enough to know it's ultimately a small portion of the time invested in an MMO. The environments are gorgeous and the cities are by and far the best I've seen in an MMO (perhaps even too grand a scale, holy tits is Divinity's Reach huge). The world looks well put together and that's something that far too many MMOs get wrong. Asheron's Call did a fan-fucking-tastic job at this and so did WoW back in 2004. Very important to me.

My biggest concern is the combat, which is a little underwhelming at this point. Movement still has that janky/floaty feel that GW1 did. I really wish they would take the auto-chains on your auto-attack (1) abilities and flesh them out into ability trees. I'm not seeing the point to having 3 different abilities that trigger one after another on your auto-attack. I suppose it looks fancy, but there's not much in the way of player involvement going on. Overall, I feel like I'm doing less in combat than other MMOs. Avoidance and situational awareness only goes so far, and to be honest I've never understood the negative comparisons to WoW where avoidance and situational awareness have become pretty much the most important aspects of endgame in recent years.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:59:07 PM by Freyj »

Tasty

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
Code has been used already and I downloaded the entire client :'(

Yeah seems some lamers took the ones I posted for themselves, my fault, should have listened when you guys said to hide it.

I only have two codes left and no idea how to decide which one of you three doesn't get one. :(

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »
Me first I love Pokemon

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
I hate Nintendo so PC is all I have :(

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »
I bought a 3DS at launch, I should get it.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
dammit the beta is almost over, make a decision   :'(

Tasty

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »
Lager and PD were the first to reply I guess, so they should get the two I have left. Sorry MB. :'(

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thanks :)

You can feel good since Ill let someone else play on my account too so they can try it out.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »
How do you add people to your friends list? Seems like you have to have an email address  ???

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
First impression:

+Looks good, amazing soundtrack, runs decent on my laptop I guess.

-Very cluttered UI and feel of everything, seems very full, TMI.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
Brenric.9410

The UI is extremely cluttered. I've expanded the camera out as much as I can, but wish I could zoom it out much more. Gameplay impressions later

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
ffffuuuk

I got the bug where the game saves to your temp file, and when I last tried to log in it just started re-downloading the client. I looked up some fixes, they didn't work, then I deleted the client...only to find the .dat file needed to make the client work buried in my C drive. Bah, now I have to re-download the client lol

etiolate

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 03:08:49 AM »
Maurice if you're on Henge of Denravi I'll need your char name to find you. I am not sure how to add people by account name. =/

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
Character name is Brennric.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »
my impressions thus far, as a Norn Guardian

PVE: I really like the dynamic quest system. It makes zones, quests, and even NPCs more memorable. Having played WoW, I'm used to "saving" a village only to see the same mobs respawn right away, This was addressed to a certain extent with zone phasing in WOTLK but overall it's still a weak area of the game. My favorite example of GW2's system happened in Norn area. I stumbled across a small village full of children playing, a blacksmith complaining about the children trolling him, and a couple quest givers. A woman in the village payed me to play with the children, so I began throwing snowballs at them. After a couple minutes of this, the town was under attack and the children ran into a house. A pack of bears suddenly attacked the village. After we killed the bears, the children came back outside the house to play again. Shortly afterward I heard a wolf howling and figured a wolf pack would attack next. Instead, I stumbled across a werewolf who promptly killed me. After respawning I fought him off with the help of some other players we defeated it. Turns out the bitter blacksmith is the werewolf, and periodically he changes and starts attacking everything, including the kids lol

I love snow/winter zones, which is why I chose the Norn area. You constantly run across events, and nearly every one is interesting. Outside of side quests, there is a "main" story quest that is somewhat interesting.

In terms of the Guardian...it's basically a paladin. The thing that most impressed me was the variety of weapons you can use, and how they effect your abilities. Later you can unlock a secondary set of weapons that you can switch with your primary weapons in combat. Right now my regular set is a one handed sword and an off hand fire staff. I can switch that out for my secondary set: a great sword. The variety ensures combat is never stale

You also get a heal, and a talent bar. I currently have a consecration type fire aoe on mine, and I recently unlocked another slot where I use a guardian hammer (basically a hammer that flies around protecting me).

Some things I didn't like:

-The UI is very cluttered and ugly. Your hero (inventory) tab covers nearly the entire screen when you're adding/removing armor. When you talk to an NPC there's a big ass portrait and word bubble. I have moved the camera as far back as it will go but wish I could move it back even more, and I also have the UI size on "small" but it's still annoying. Overall none of it is nearly as streamlined or intuitive as WoW's, or most MMOs and dungeon crawlers that I've played

-Movement feels rather odd. I get that the Norn are probably not the most agile race, but a lot of your regular movement just looks and feels odd. Whether you're jumping or scaling a mountain/hill, it almost feels clunky.

-I would not say the game is "hard" but the damage output (in relation to character defenses/health) is ridiculous. You can literally die in a couple seconds from anything. Some damage is easily avoidable, but there's a lot of regular damage that just hits you regardless. It just feels odd when you can barely take on 2-3 enemies at a time without getting owned. I only got to lv10 but I can't imagine this feeling natural in a higher level dungeon/instance, especially with no tank class. There's one quest in the main Norn story where you enter a spirit realm to save someone. At one point a bunch of enemies surround you on all sides, many with ranged weapons. Within seconds I lost more than half of my health. The only reason I didn't die is because there were NPCs on my team who were getting the bulk of the aggro.

Overall I enjoyed the game. I really hope the UI is either overhauled or addressed seriously because it really takes away from this beautiful, fun game.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 03:20:02 AM »
What do you think about combat feedback? For me it doesn't have enough UMPF weight in it, its just so floaty.

The public quests will probably become empty in no time don't you think?

etiolate

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 04:01:34 AM »
No, I didn't play the Beta. I'll complete that argument for you by reminding myself to go back to WoW.

I wasn't replying to be defensive or shut you up. I was confused by the way you wrote your responses. It made it sound like you were playing the game, but the some things were off and I had thought you weren't playing it.

Anyways, I would say you're generalizing a bit about the events. Playing the system they use is different than what you may think by just looking at it as separate parts. The way AI behaves, the way everyone plays together, the way the map flows and other things combine to create a system that feels fresher than the general description of individual parts.

I wasn't understanding the cluttered UI complaints until I played this on my laptop. At home, I have a big flatscreen and everything fit. I'm amazed the game runs at all on my laptop, but tho it is somewhat playable, it runs quite poorly and the Hero panel takes up a large amount of the screen. They should probably add a quick resizing option like "Small Screen Windowing". You can click and adjust the size of each UI element, just as you did in GW1, but I forget in which menu that option is. The crafting window is also quite large.

And PD is right, you'll fall into downed state a lot. After awhile, I got quite good at dealing with multiple mobs and survivng. PvP play helped with that a bit. It does help to have the right weapons and utilities for that situation. I ended up using two defensive utilities, one that vanished me and left behind a clone and another which put up a barrier around my foe that reflected projectiles. If I was fighting melee mob and ranged mob, I'd dome the ranged mob and evade the melee mob.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:04:48 AM by etiolate »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 05:04:12 AM »
What do you think about combat feedback? For me it doesn't have enough UMPF weight in it, its just so floaty.

The public quests will probably become empty in no time don't you think?

Combat felt fine overall. Some weapons felt floaty but overall I like it. I'd like some instant stuns though

You know, I kept thinking a lot of the public quests will be empty, leading to some tough situations for new players. We'll see

etiolate

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 05:44:57 AM »
My negatives:

I only played a Mesmer all weekend. What they have in the game right now is more a magician than a mesmer. The clones are rarely usable on most mobs. The mobs die too fast. You basically trigger a cooldown and get nothing out of it. When you can have one to two skills on a weapon bar that trigger illusions, that means your skillbar is somewhat useless at times. Since people live longer in pvp, you can summon up your illusions on a target without it dying. Then once they can hang around long enough to be present, you just pretty much shatter all of them clones because their damage is negligible. The only time I leave them up is if I need to stealth and heal/run.

Phantasms, which are the illusions that live longer and aren't lookalikes, are tied to the same shatters as the clones. So while I can summon a phantasm that absorbs half the damage I'm taking, when I need to spike damage with a mindwrack or a daze to interrupt then I have to sacrifice my defensive skill.

Many times with clones or phantasms, I was pressing multiple buttons for one simple effect that every other class can do in 1 or 2 actions. Beyond that, they need to pathfind to their target. So even when you hit a shatter, it doesn't mean that the shatter effect is happening then. If the target is running, the shatter gets delayed until the clones run down the target. If the target gets out of range then the clones just stand still and do nothing. Shatters are also useless versus objects such as walls. In WvWvW, that's a huge issue.

There were skills that worked like how a Mesmer should work. Namely, the feedback bubble skill that places a large bubble around a target that reflects hostile projectiles back at foes. This makes a foe either pewpew itself dead or move out of the field. The bubble is also a combo field and I've seen people turn it into multiple little reflective bubbles for allies.

Second complaint is that WvWvW is pretty lame if your server is getting dominated, but I have a bigger PVP worry in Conquest. There really is no reason to run any build but a survival type build. There is no room for overloading towards damage or support. You have 1v1 or 2v1 fights where there's not a lot of room for build creativity or depth. It the winning strategy is to keep mobile and be able to survive the small skirmishes. This is just to delay point captures or delay others moving. None of the combo field tactics come into play.

Third, I did see a lot of certain events repeat in the lower level areas and repeat rather quickly. This is something that can be balanced and tweaked though. It's also hard to judge because you have so many people going through events and triggering things.

Fourth, once there were large amounts of mobs or a big boss, I always went to range. So did most everyone else. Melee needs to be able to have a purpose in those situations besides easily dying. At times, I could swing it with a sword mesmer, but once the DE got bigger, it was just too much a mess to survive.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:50:16 AM by etiolate »

etiolate

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 02:56:37 AM »
this made me lol

In the Mists (PvP Lobby area), a bunch of Mesmers set up portals right on top of each other. People walk over them, fly around like crazy.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 03:05:26 AM »
You know, I kept thinking a lot of the public quests will be empty, leading to some tough situations for new players. We'll see

That's what happened in WAR.
itm

etiolate

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2012, 05:41:46 AM »
Picture post. Wish I had somewhere to post the full size version.

COME AT ME BRO

This is how selling your stuff on the trading post worked. You click on the trade stuff tab and it searches your inventory and gives you the going rate for everything in your bags.

purdy

Rodi and I after downing the bandit boss.

Apple Orchard DE

Yes, the second hat I got made my Mesmer look like a clown rapist but what can you do!

etiolate

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »
thanks for the hyperbole ruzbeh

Freyj

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:54 PM »
The Charr starting area was definitely more enjoyable than the Human one. I didn't really spend much time in the Norn area. I felt like the quests and areas flowed better there and the DEs were generally more interesting (aside from the Flame Shaman one that kept kicking 40-50 odd player's collective asses over and over).

Unfortunately, I had high hopes for Thief and Engineer and liked them least of what I played without a doubt. Guardian on the other hand was a total surprise and I really enjoyed playing it, would likely be my main. Something about the Symbols and Mace/Great Sword abilities felt a lot more enjoyable than other classes. Not to mention that when the combat feels a little barebones (and it does for the most part), being able to switch into the support role on the fly really mixes things up a bit.

Don't care for downed state at all.

etiolate

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »
Being able to articulate what others can't

lol

I like downed state in PVE, but I don't know about its place in PvP. I think they'll need to have in an altered form in PVP if they keep it in PVP. For example, I like that you can self-heal in downed state in PVE, but I think its kind of lame in PVP. A "bleed out" option would be better.

etiolate

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »
Some dev comments from in game chat and the official beta forum:

-The three things Jon Peters said he would be focusing on after this beta would be performance issues, game balance and better teaching players how to play the game.
-Cry of Frustation is a "work in progress" and they're open to ideas on how to change it.

Melee vs ranged. I also saw a lot of threads on melee vs ranged. I think ranged abilities are much easier to use than melee ones. It’s easier to pick a ranged class, back up a lot, and keep hitting your opponent….but…once a good melee character figures out how to disable your movement, dodge your attacks, and then get you in range, YOU ARE IN TROUBLE. There are many melee builds that destroy ranged builds, but the trick is getting there. Once melee players learn how to work together, you’ll see them dishing out a ton of pain on ranged foes. BUT, having said that, don’t worry – balance isn’t final, and we’re still tweaking things. We’ll keep an eye on the balance, as we always do.

Think they need to take the melee issue more legitimately. Probably need more block/evade on Warrior's shield and maybe a bit of toughness bonus to shields. Things like a Focus, a caster offhand normally, have damage stats on it though they don't have damaging attacks. It's weird.

On ability delay:

I believe the ability delay people are noticing is actually server lag. We have a very large number of testers this weekend and the servers are under stress that we have not experienced before. The way the actual combat works is that each skill has an associated animation as well as points in that animation that trigger the damage. Everything is based on that real animation timing which is being thrown off by the servers being pounded. Rest assured we understand this makes the game and combat much less responsive and will be working hard to improve performance in upcoming beta weekends and towards release.

Personally, I haven't had ability delay unless I was on my dying laptop or I was experiencing lag.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »
Ruz brings up a couple points I agree with, hyperbole aside. The targeting system is rather poor. In WoW, other MMOs, and dungeon crawlers, it's rather easy to select an enemy and keep focus. I found it rather hard to focus down mobs, especially during the zerg phases of quests. For instance in the bear attack sequence in the Norn area, I found myself flailing around a lot.

Also the lack of chat bubbles makes the game's social function quite a chore. Given how many people die in the game, it would be helpful to quickly identify where they are on the battlefield

In terms of the downed state...I'm not a fan of it either. Oftentimes an NPC will simply finish you off despite another player attacking it. I really feel like the high damage output/RNG and lack of aggro could make for some very lackluster dungeon experiences.

etiolate

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »
Ctrl+attack calls a target and I think it may put a marker on it. I'm not sure. It was a feature in GW1, but I didn't test it out in my beta experience.

etiolate

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
Wish I had found this while playing:

Hey PD, did you find the combat spammy?

Also, chat bubbles appear on character portraits instead above players.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:25:43 AM by etiolate »

etiolate

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 02:42:52 PM »
There's a lot of stuff that I'm learning of now that I didn't know about while playing. Beyond the diving board, Guildcast just shared that right clicking on any of your gathering materials in your inventory gave you an option to directly deposit it into your bank. I could have really used knowing that at times.

There were other things, like I knew my Leap skill had a second action of swapping with my illusion, but I didn't realize that doing that swap was supposed to immobilize the target. That would have been useful for CC in melee combat. I was using Mimic in pvp, not realizing that once I absorbed a projectile, I had to press it again to shoot it back at a foe.  I figured just holding the button down reflected whatever came at me. I actually prefer it to play the way I had figured it worked.

A lot of people didn't know that you had to buy gathering tools and equip them to gather, but that you could gather everything.

There are certain events where you gather something and have to turn it in, but you won't know that unless you read the little event note up in the top of the screen telling you there's an NPC for turning in items.  At around level 12 in Queensdale, you come across a town across the river. This town has a heart/reknowned made up of little challenges that are actually tutorials for blocking and attacking when a foe isn't blocking, but its 12 levels in and just something to wander into.

I feel there should be an early underwater event to help you learn underwater weapons. Near that level 12 town, I ran across a fisherman by a waterfall that flows into a lake. The fisherman is having his fish eaten by this giant monster fish in the lake. I tried killing the boss, but I had none of my underwater skills unlocked so I just kept dying and getting owned.

I imagine they'll introduce things better somehow. They already said they're thinking at sparsing out the battle mechanics of foes a little more. I do like the lack of hand holding, so if there is tutorial stuff, I would like it to be optional in some way.

There's just so much in the game that you end up missing things. They just need to lower the ratio of things you don't realize a bit more. I imagine a ton of people didn't realize they have a town outfit to switch into. I saw someone do a youtube of buying the Scholar outfit off the gemstore, but not realize that the outfit came with a weapon that gave you a whole skillbar. I bought the pirate outfit and equipped everything. I had a wooden sword with five skills. 1. Fancily swing Sword 2. You shout YARRR 3. You fall on your face in a big splash of water. 4. Summon a parrot pet 5. Build a cannon that people can interact with to fire.

etiolate

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2012, 02:58:46 AM »
OHMAWGAWWWWWW

In WvWvW. Imagine fights breaking out on the platforms over getting to the keys.