Author Topic: PlayStation All-Stars (now legit thanks to Seth Killian)  (Read 27236 times)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Re: PlayStation All-Stars
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »
Love how everyone is begging for third party characters because, well, they started on Sony first, DAMMIT!

Oblivion

« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
Characters missing:

- Marcus PSP
- Kevin Butler
- HAZE "I changed sides" dude
- Giant Enemy Crab
- Chad Warden

Can I add

- Viral video gone wrong PSP Rap Guy
- Racist White PSP Ad Girl

Also, the racist PSP squirrel.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »
- the crying doll from that creepy ad

<----

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
Also

- Drunken Kelly Flock boss
- It's time to slay the dragon guy

itm

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
The graphics look so ugly and charmless though... Parappa's face looks fucked up, the backgrounds look kinda ugly and drab, and the white glow around the characters makes shit even worse. Brawl didn't look as aesthetically pleasing and consistent compared to Melee, but still looks a helluva lot better than this.

That said, I'm interested in seeing what other characters make it in, see how obscure they get. Fat Princess is a good start, but Sony's success was made off its 3rd parties. Cloud, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Claude (GTAIII), Dante... should all be in. And also a Wipeout stage that plays similar to Big Blue.
^_^

Beezy

« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »
The graphics look so ugly and charmless though... Parappa's face looks fucked up, the backgrounds look kinda ugly and drab, and the white glow around the characters makes shit even worse. Brawl didn't look as aesthetically pleasing and consistent compared to Melee, but still looks a helluva lot better than this.

That said, I'm interested in seeing what other characters make it in, see how obscure they get. Fat Princess is a good start, but Sony's success was made off its 3rd parties. Cloud, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Claude (GTAIII), Dante... should all be in. And also a Wipeout stage that plays similar to Big Blue.
Sounds like a Sony game to me.

Takao

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
I kind of wonder how many third party characters they can afford.  Contrary to what Dr. Takao thinks, unless there's some kind of quid pro quo thing going on, licensing characters usually costs money.  It's especially hard to dangle the free advertising thing with an unproven first installment that will also have other third party characters barging in on your free promotion.

Even with Smash Bros., Sonic was a quid pro quo involved with the Mario & Sonic Olympic deal, and Snake involved money changing hands.

Sony has had Kratos, Toro, Kuro, and Cole appear in a few third party games recently like Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny, Touch My Katamari, Street Fighter X Tekken and a couple of other third party releases. I believe Boon teased the possibility of Scorpion being in this game (even though MK isn't really a franchise I'd associate with PlayStation, but okay) and they'll probably need a Scamco, and Capcom character or two.

The only situation where I could see Sony directly paying out money for characters to appear in this game is with Activision (dat bandicoot), and Konami (Snake). While the Sony x Square bromance has basically died over the last couple of years I think the latter wouldn't object to having Lightning and Lara appear in this. I can see Square asking money for Cloud, but I can also see Sony not paying for that.

But those are for characters that should be in this game. I have the nagging suspicion we'll get Assassin's Creed junk in this even though that isn't really a part of PlayStation History.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
it's pretty clear the game is aimed at a lame casual western audience,i'd rather expect something like commander shepard before any cloud,megaman or solid snake's
<----

Takao

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
it's pretty clear the game is aimed at a lame casual western audience,i'd rather expect something like commander shepard before any cloud,megaman or solid snake's

:piss :poop  :wag :duh :punch :stfu :fbm

If there has to be a dudebro character, just leave it to Drake. Mass Effect isn't a franchise I'd ever tie to PlayStation gaming.

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »
Who paid who for Snake in Brawl?  I can't see Nintendo forking out for him.  Konami paying Nintendo, maybe.
ǚ

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »
Who paid who for Snake in Brawl?  I can't see Nintendo forking out for him.  Konami paying Nintendo, maybe.

well kojima seems pretty fond of mash up... see

Boktai/Megaman
Metal Gear/Ape Escape

and the most recent Metal Gear/Monster Hunter

Ape Escape

oh yeah can't believe i missed this,ape escape was super popular,they bothered putting a character from a digital-only title nobody gave a fuck about but they completly forgot about this
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:17:22 PM by magus »
<----

Takao

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
If there needs to be Capcom characters I feel like it would be right for Volnutt. But we're never going to see that MegaMan ever again outside of gambling cellphone games :(

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
If there needs to be Capcom characters I feel like it would be right for Volnutt. But we're never going to see that MegaMan ever again outside of gambling cellphone games :(

:rofl

the megaman pachislot game is going to be super cool :hyper
<----

Takao

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »
You laugh because you know it's true. :(

MegaMan might be dead now, but that franchise will return. If Volnutt ever returns it'll be in a way no one wants.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »
Megaman and Goemon are hanging around on that farm in the sky retired mascots get sent to. My heart has healed, I will move on.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
i can't believe this thread is four fucking pages long
pcp

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
Capcom: Spiting Inafune from here till infinity

Takao

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
Megaman and Goemon are hanging around on that farm in the sky retired mascots get sent to. My heart has healed, I will move on.

Victor Ireland still wants to localize Goemon on PS2.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »

I'd probably kill him myself before such a thing comes to pass.

Takao

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2012, 01:09:02 PM »

I'd probably kill him myself before such a thing comes to pass.

I'd have to dig up the Reddit thread again, but I believe he said the major hurdle is that SCEA no longer does QA for PS2 games.  He's trying to see if he can get another SCE branch which still accepts PS2 games for QA and see if SCEA will accept that for a PSN release.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
No, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Parappa's face?

Has he been doing meth ever since his career went down the shitter?
Unzip

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2012, 01:19:48 PM »
No, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Parappa's face?

Has he been doing meth ever since his career went down the shitter?

The player takes on the role of PaRappa, a paper-thin rapping dog, who is trying to win the heart of a flower-like girl named Sunny Funny. However, he is intimidated by the presence of Joe Chin, a rich, narcissistic dog who goes overboard with his attempts to impress Sunny.

To impress Sunny Funny, PaRappa learns to fight at a kung-fu dojo, and takes a driver's education course to get his license. However when he crashes his Dad's car, he has to earn money at a flea market to pay for it. When Sunny's birthday comes up, PaRappa has to get cake, but ends up ruining it after an encounter with Joe. He makes a new one by watching a cooking show, and proceeds to eat a lot of it on the day. When spending some time alone with Sunny, he is suddenly overcome with the need to go to the bathroom. PaRappa has to rap against his previous teachers in order to get to the front of the line to the toilet.

Then one night, PaRappa is invited to Club Fun, and asks Sunny to go with him, to which she agrees. PaRappa then raps on stage with everybody, rapping solo at the end of the song and expressing his feelings for Sunny.

I'm pretty sure the dude was on a meth trip right from the go

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »
Don't stop believing, Vic. :lol
Hi

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2012, 02:04:55 PM »
Sunny's my love, she's like a dice
I never know which way she'll turn till I spice  <-- actual lyrics

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »

Nintendo paid a nominal fee for him.  Do you think there was anything in it for Konami?  They had no MGS games planned for Wii, and while Smash does sell more than MGS, it's not like being in Smash was going to sell more copies of MGS4.  No quid pro quo came out of it.  No Konami projects got any extra advertising from Nintendo.  So even if the idea was Sakurai and Kojima saying it would be awesome, the bean-counters at Konami are still going to want *something* out of the deal.

I haven't kept up on gaming news for years, and even when I did it was more of a time waster than thinking I had any inside track on the industry, but that said -

Isn't MGS a non-franchise in Japan and Snake in SSB would boost it's general recognition, and Kojima asked for him to be included. I seem to vaguely remember that.
___

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
gunna main the shit outta parappa
USA

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
Is this sarcastic interest. I find it hard to interpret the words, the Internet is basically a hotline to aspergers, which basically what the Illumiate want, and thicktards, it's not the Illuminate, at least not in words.

If I was a God?

MAybe this is a construct, you're in a coma. That car-crash you were in, and those sudden nose-rushes of TCP, it proves a point.
:{]

Takao

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »

Nintendo paid a nominal fee for him.  Do you think there was anything in it for Konami?  They had no MGS games planned for Wii, and while Smash does sell more than MGS, it's not like being in Smash was going to sell more copies of MGS4.  No quid pro quo came out of it.  No Konami projects got any extra advertising from Nintendo.  So even if the idea was Sakurai and Kojima saying it would be awesome, the bean-counters at Konami are still going to want *something* out of the deal.

I haven't kept up on gaming news for years, and even when I did it was more of a time waster than thinking I had any inside track on the industry, but that said -

Isn't MGS a non-franchise in Japan and Snake in SSB would boost it's general recognition, and Kojima asked for him to be included. I seem to vaguely remember that.

Metal Gear Solid is one of the largest third party franchises in Japan...  Like it's only behind Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy large.

frod

« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2012, 05:30:43 AM »
Won't Drake just murder everyone with  machine gun  ???
f u

Takao

« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
Sir Daniel Fortesque needs to be in this game.

Takao

« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »

Eric Laden = voice actor of Cole MacGrath from Infamous
you should probably know who David Hayter and Nolan North would play in this game

Also, some other dude dun goofed and posted that he did work for a Vita version of this.

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
Such a rip-off. Sony isn't hiding it.

Game looks really boring. Just like the Smash games.

Takao

« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
This game needs more SCEJ characters. I don't give a shit about Drake and 'looks like every other western character design' Cole.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
This game needs more SCEJ characters. I don't give a shit about Drake and 'looks like every other western character design' Cole.

No ones going to buy this game in japan, so got to try and sell to the major target

You are just a weird minority
dur

Sho Nuff

« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »
I HAVE MORE SUGGESTIONS, EXCUSE ME

(from Cosmic Race)

(from Jungle Park)

Both of these titles are STAGGERING

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
lmao jungle park
USA

Takao

« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Isn't Cosmic Race that game made up of all the samples in the PS1 devkit?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »
Yes, that's the one...it's amazing

Takao

« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »
If we're going batshit impossible I want an LSD: Dream Simulator stage

Sho Nuff

« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
The final boss:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Trent Dole

« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
Hi

Takao

« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
Polygonman or Giant T-Rex should be the Master Hand of this game.

« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »
It should be Pepsiman.
野球

Sho Nuff

« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2012, 06:52:48 PM »
It should be

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome Chang3
[close]

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/02/a-message-from-sony-santa-monica-studios-newest-employee/
Hello PlayStation, I’m Seth Killian. A few of you may know me as a familiar face in the world of fighting games, but I’m writing today to say that I’ve joined Sony as the lead game designer for the external group at the Sony’s Santa Monica Studio.

I was excited to join Santa Monica Studio in particular because of the chance to work with some great individuals, but also because of the incredible range of projects they take on. If you head out of my office and turn right, you’ll run into the “God of War: Ascension” team. If you turn left, you’ll find the Giant Sparrow crew working on “The Unfinished Swan.” There are other amazing studios in the world, but nowhere else that I know where you can find that kind of diversity combined with such a deep commitment to greatness–which also happens to sum up what’s so exciting to me about Sony overall.

The external group works with Sony’s outside studios — teams like Queasy Games (Sound Shapes), Fun Bits Interactive (Escape Plan), thatgamecompany (Flower, Journey), and… SuperBot Entertainment, makers of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!

Fighting games are very close to my heart, and as someone that’s spent much of my life with traditional fighters, All-Stars has been a great opportunity to take a step back and rethink fighting fundamentals from the ground up. The entire team was put together from scratch to create this game, and they are loaded with fighting game superstars (including some impressive tournament credentials–I’m not even the first EVO finalist to join the team!) who love great combat just as much as I do.

All-Stars is also a total love-letter to Sony fans. From the characters, to their special moves, to the incredible level 3 supers, and the stages themselves, I’m not sure there’s ever been such a giant dose of fan-service in Sony history. Beyond great character designs or all the ingenious little ideas that make combat feel great, the real test of a great game to me is that “just *one* more game!” feeling. If it’s 3am and you have to work the next day, but you’ve still got the urge to play again, you know you’re doing something right. You only have to walk through SuperBot’s studio and see all the staff being scolded to stop playing their own game andget back to work to know that they’ve really got something special cooking.

You don’t have to take my word for it, however–we’ll be taking All-Stars on the road and making sure you guys have plenty of opportunities to go hands-on, starting with PlayStation’s first official presence at EVO this weekend. More details soon.

For everyone that’s already reached out, thank you so much for the kind welcome into PlayStation Nation, and for everyone else, I look forward to doing my absolute best to give PlayStation fans the great games they deserve.
cat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
He's being brought on as the lead game designer 4 months before ship?

That is weird, weird, weird shit. What happened to the previous LGD?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: PlayStation All-Stars (now legit thanks to Seth Killian)
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2012, 12:37:19 PM »
Does this officially officially make Smash Brothers a fighting game?
fat

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »

Dunno,can he really have some meaningful influence this close to launch?
cat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »

Maybe they realized that they had a shitty smash clone and decided to rework it?

Does this officially officially make Smash Brothers a fighting game?

:lol
ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »

Dunno,can he really have some meaningful influence this close to launch?

10 years of industry experience tells me "no"

Seriously tho -- doing a high-profile lead GD replacement this late into production is beyond weird -- I wonder who he's replacing and the effect it's going to have on the team.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
This is like the WWE signing Brock Lesnar only to job him out

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
Its possible Superbot might be spitting out more games in the future and he will be in charge of that

Interesting place for him to land though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:52:06 PM by Purple Filth »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
This is like the WWE signing Brock Lesnar only to job him out

ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2012, 01:01:03 PM »
That fucking image  :rofl :rofl

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
It's an inspiring name!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:08:02 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »
xbots bashing a game getting one of the best fighting game designers on it WHODUVE THUNK IT  ::) ::) ::)
USA

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »
can you still only get points by using final smashes?

:zzz

Trent Dole

« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
...really didn't miss methhead while he was gone.
Hi

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
can you still only get points by using final smashes?

:zzz

So far yeah. They may have other modes but who knows
dur

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
xbots bashing a game getting one of the best fighting game designers on it WHODUVE THUNK IT  ::) ::) ::)

Who?  Killian was a community manager and adviser at Capcom USA.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:38:00 PM by bork laser »
ど助平