Author Topic: PlayStation All-Stars (now legit thanks to Seth Killian)  (Read 27231 times)

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Re: PlayStation All-Stars (now legit thanks to Seth Killian)
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2012, 02:05:07 AM »
Jersey Devil :'(
Unzip

Takao

« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2012, 02:09:11 AM »
If that's the case I'm surprised Parappa's even in this game. Some guys at SCEJ did seem interested in doing a new Parappa so maybe this is them trying to drum up interest. Though, given All-Stars Battle Royale has yet to be announced for Japan that may be a bit silly.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
I don't play fighting games anymore really so I'm really not the best guy to speak to this but this games kinda looks like derivative shit to me based on the giantbomb beta quicklook.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »
I don't mind derivative shit, but this looks like derivative shit. the damage mechanic in Smash Bros is what makes the game fun. go play Melee with HP instead of percent-based damage. it's ass.

To get meter you have to be hitting dudes, but with four players you are liable to get buttfucked because someone else is playing like ass. At that point it becomes about who can monopolize wailing on the cripple, I guess. maybe that's fun. kinda doubt it.

Not to say the game doesn't appear to have issues outside of the damage model, but it's by far the most glaring and easiest to fix.

Takao

« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »
Can anyone post the new leak info? That gaf thread is unreadable. I guess there are 3 Tekken characters now?

Amateur hour continued as the website was updated earlier this week confirming the inclusion of Sackboy and Raiden. The redesigned site was quickly taken down, but not before people took snapshots of the page, revealing Jin, and Kazuya from Tekken as well as Ryu from Ninja Gaiden in the site's background imagery. The community manager from Superbot said right after it that Heihachi is the only Tekken character, so I suspect Jin and Kazuya may be costumes or something.

I dunno why in the world Ryu is there. His latest game is jank, and isn't exactly tied to PlayStation at all. Should've just grabbed a random Dynasty Warriors dude or something IMO. Make him the newbie character and have him able to perform all of his combos and supers by smashing the cross button repeatedly.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #245 on: August 10, 2012, 08:14:40 PM »
Just watched the Quick Look, appears to be soulless and the opposite of fun

Parappa is also extruded 3D...wtf

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #246 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:01 PM »
I like how even when Fat Princess has won, she looks like shes lost
o_0

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »
I saw the Quick Look and holy fuck, what a pile of boring shit.
🍆🍆

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #248 on: August 10, 2012, 10:13:06 PM »
Derivative is a fairly light insult to throw around considering the state of the industry at the moment. Regardless, I hope this game dies in a fire
◕‿◕

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
PlayStation All-Stars (now legit thanks to Seth Killian)
« Reply #249 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
Haha, I think the game could have been twice as appealing had they gone with original colorful characters and stages, i.e. Sony is doing this game a huge disservice by tapping into it's dull and uninteresting catalog. 3rd party offerings are awful so far, except for Heihachi, but then again he's going to appear in the superior TTT2 this September, in a fundoshi no less!
Unzip

cool breeze

« Reply #250 on: August 10, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »
I don't mind derivative shit, but this looks like derivative shit. the damage mechanic in Smash Bros is what makes the game fun. go play Melee with HP instead of percent-based damage. it's ass.

To get meter you have to be hitting dudes, but with four players you are liable to get buttfucked because someone else is playing like ass. At that point it becomes about who can monopolize wailing on the cripple, I guess. maybe that's fun. kinda doubt it.

Not to say the game doesn't appear to have issues outside of the damage model, but it's by far the most glaring and easiest to fix.

I've seen this explained through text, video demos, and I think a podcast and I still find the entire system confounding.  I actually don't understand it.

I disagree that HP makes Smash unfun.  Similar games like Jump Superstars and Power Stone use HP and those are fun.  Or a game like Gundam vs Gundam, which sorta has HP but works it into a deeper idea of lives costing points; in short, the better character you choose, the fewer lives you have.  Power Stone has the regular HP game but you're also chasing after/preventing others from grabbing the gems, since collecting them all is a huge advantage.

What I get from this Sony game is: nothing matters.  The goal is to raise your super bar to do damage and all the normal attacks don't do damage and just raise your super bar and there are three levels of supers and you're fighting to get more kills, except they hide the number because  ??? and well you can do combos because  ???  I don't get it.  It's not fun to watch.  I have no interest in playing it. 

Damian79

« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
What i dont like about the game is that you can probably target a weaker player and get your ap up to 3rd level and kill everyone.  It is a dumb system all round.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »
What i dont like about the game is that you can probably target a weaker player and get your ap up to 3rd level and kill everyone.  It is a dumb system all round.

Fortunately, after a couple of months after its release, you probably won't be able to find three other people online to play with.
🍆🍆

Takao

« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2012, 06:45:09 AM »
They should've just cloned Power Stone. It likely wouldn't have been as commercially viable but at least there would be little shame, and no constant bitching about changing up the formula or something. Though, I guess I can see how that would be difficult to pull off with their merging 2 games into a single stage idea.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #254 on: August 11, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »
They should have had more sub-systems. For instance Fat princess could start out fat and then over time she slims down and loses power, but you can use a special to eat cake and get fatter/more powerful. Sorta like Hakan in street fighter 4 who can oil up to get more range. Sly not being able to block, instead going invisible is a cool character trait, but I hoped there would be more stuff like that.

I disagree that HP makes Smash unfun.  Similar games like Jump Superstars and Power Stone use HP and those are fun. 

I specifically meant smash. Melee has a mode where you can play with 300 HP per character or whatever. it's much less fun.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:26:27 AM by Brobzoid »

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2012, 11:34:47 AM »

Looks snoozetastic.
zzzzz

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »
Man, those Giant Bomb guys are about as boring to listen to as the game seems :P
^_^

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »
Whenever they don't have much to say I get the impression it's them just trying not to rail on a game they can't get away with shit talking yet.
zzzzz

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2012, 04:58:31 PM »
That is probably the case here. I remember in the Otomedius quick look there's a stretch of silence followed by a long sigh and a 'yeaaaah' so sometimes even if they can shit on a game they just don't feel like bothering.
Hi

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
Describe this game without using words like "Smash Bros." and "mascot brawler".

shit
©@©™

Takao

« Reply #260 on: August 13, 2012, 10:15:10 PM »
This game has been delayed until November 20, 2012.

People (rightfully so) mock SCEJ's management skills because their large scale projects take years to get released. Sony Smash Bros. has been in development since 2008. Given the end product looks like a highly derivative game with a lacking roster it certainly makes the time it took Gravity Rush, and Gran Turismo 5 to come out look normal.

« Reply #261 on: August 13, 2012, 10:39:31 PM »
Brawl got delayed too.  Sony is so shameless.
ǚ

etiolate

« Reply #262 on: August 13, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »
They could have at least come up with a different looking results screen.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »
They could have at least come up with a different looking results screen.

no. they should make it as similar as possible. fuck the haters, make it like melee. that's a fun game only available on the fucking gamecube, other developers should be ripping it off. Sony All-Star Melee. straight up killer-app. *brrrap*

Takao

« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »

New (previously leaked) characters:
- Sackboy
- Ratchet & Clank
- Dante
- Spike

If you buy PS3 version you get Vita version for free. If you have PS+ and wait 10 months you could probably get both for free.

Takao

« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
I'm in the beta, and I have to say ... it's actually pretty fun. It's certainly a better playing game than any of the other Smash clones I've played, and in a case of "SHOCKING NEWS" the net code is a bazillion times better than Brawl's. It's just that roster, yeash.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »
The public beta is now up (via search) for Vita.  No PS+ needed.

Public PS3 beta is next week for everyone, IIRC.
ど助平

cool breeze

« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2012, 03:55:09 AM »
some parts of this are straight up smash bros.  the evading and air dodge are 100% the same.  it's close enough that muscle memory kicks in and I realize I'm not grabbing or something.

anyway, didn't find it fun.  seemed decent enough, so it's indifference I guess.  netcode is really good, though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #268 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »
DLC already announced.

But they're following Namco's lead and keeping it free...for a limited time, anyway.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/15/first-playstation-all-stars-dlc-kat-and-emmett-join-the-battle-royale-for-free/
What? Me again? Wasn’t I just here to let you know thatPlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale had gone gold?

Have you ever wondered what dev teams do after a game goes gold? If all is going well, often times they get down to business with DLC. And in fact that’s exactly what we have begun. I’m here today to announce the first DLC characters that will be joining the All-Stars roster: Kat from Gravity Rush, and Starhawk‘s Emmett Graves!

In addition to the signature weapons you’ll remember from his duels with the Outcasts on Dust, Emmett’s playstyle will also utilize Starhawk’s unique “Build-in-Battle” system, calling down help from the sky.

Kat’s approach turns gravity on its head with some mind-bending new ways to move as she positions herself for her unique brand of aerial assault. Together, they make up one of the most original duos in All-Stars.

These DLC All-Stars still have a long way to go before they’re ready to be shown off, but we wanted to let you know what the team will be working on now that we’ve gone gold with the main game, and that you can look forward to playing them… for free!
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Emmett

Yes, you heard that right. We’re very happy to announce these first two DLC characters will be free to everyone for the first two weeks once they are available for download early next year.

That may sound a little tricky, so let me be clear: once Kat and Emmett are finished, we’ll put them up for download. They’ll be totally free for two weeks. The only limit is that you have a two-week window to claim the characters. Once you have Kat and Emmett, they are yours forever. That may sound like a lot to remember, so don’t worry, we’ll be back closer to their release to remind you of all these details.

Everyone at SuperBot, Bluepoint, and Santa Monica Studio has tried hard not only to make a great game, but also to keep the fans very firmly in mind, offering the most we can wherever we get the chance. So far we’ve offered exclusive free pre-order costumes, an amazing digital version for PS Vita at no cost when you buy the PS3 version, frame-accurate cross-play, and now Kat and Emmett coming soon for free!

We’ll have more information about these characters and more DLC news coming soon, so stay tuned here for more announcements, and thanks again to everyone that has supported us as we prepare to cross the finish line. Come join the party on November 20th as PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale launches, and I’ll see you online!

ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #269 on: November 15, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
Who the hell are those characters  :-\

This is so very sad

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #270 on: November 15, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »
Well one is from a genuinely interesting game that was Vita only so nobody played it and the other is a generic shithead from Starhawk?
Hi

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #271 on: November 15, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
 :lol complaining about free optional dlc  :lol

never change xbots
USA

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #272 on: November 15, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
"all stars"   

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: November 15, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
Kat is a good addition (they're putting her in Minna No Gold 6, too), but WTF were they thinking with generic Starhawk guy?

Something tells me I'm gonna end up buying this.  I dunno why.

"all stars"

:lol

ど助平

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #274 on: November 15, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
This game is definitely going to be free on PS+ in no time, I guess it might be worth getting the free DLC when it's available though.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #275 on: November 15, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
lol, those all-stars.
fat

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
PlayStation All-Stars (now legit thanks to Seth Killian)
« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
I played starhawk and had no idea how emmitt is. However if they use the whole drop down shit, could be cooler than the normal garbage ass fps character
dur

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #277 on: November 17, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »
This game sucked when I played it at NYCC. It's not nearly as responsive or exciting to play as Melee or Brawl. The whole time people who were playing were complaining "why can't I do _____ like I can in Smash?". I have a feeling when it comes out, people who are expecting it to be Smash with Sony characters will pick it up and be VERY disappointed. The Gravity Rush chick is a cool DLC but I have no idea who the black guy is or what the game Starhawk is.
^_^

Sho Nuff

« Reply #278 on: November 17, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
Upcoming DLC:

Bob Smith from Jet Moto
The Guy from 2Xtreme
Blasto
Jersey Devil
The Guy from Cool Boarders

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: November 17, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
Blasto :omg
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »
This game sucked when I played it at NYCC. It's not nearly as responsive or exciting to play as Melee or Brawl. The whole time people who were playing were complaining "why can't I do _____ like I can in Smash?". I have a feeling when it comes out, people who are expecting it to be Smash with Sony characters will pick it up and be VERY disappointed. The Gravity Rush chick is a cool DLC but I have no idea who the black guy is or what the game Starhawk is.

It's not like Smash at all and is more like a real fighting game in some ways.  That may be why I'm somehow more interested in it now.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #281 on: November 17, 2012, 09:46:08 PM »
Upcoming DLC:

Bob Smith from Jet Moto
The Guy from 2Xtreme
Blasto
Jersey Devil
The Guy from Cool Boarders

Is this real or a joke post, I can't tell!
©@©™

Takao

« Reply #282 on: November 18, 2012, 01:52:34 AM »
Starhawk dude is a ... weird entry. That game bombed, the studio who made it got severely downsized, and supposedly Sony revoked their contract with them. Not exactly something I'd expect them to want to celebrate ...

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #283 on: November 18, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »
I will buy this when they put in Cool Spot!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #284 on: November 19, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »
So my 10 year old brother wanted it, so I bought it.

It's pretty damn mediocre so far. The gameplay is nerfed Smash Bros. while being ten times more button mashy, the characters have a lot more special moves than in Smash but I don't see anyway where it can be imployed strategically, and the hit each other and whoever hits you with the special finisher most wins is just stupid.

I really, really don't like it.

ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »
Good luck doing any of that with more than two fighters in a match.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
My problem is with the roster.  Some of those characters were just poor choices.  And TWO Coles?  REALLY?

I also like that they mention characters like Cole being in a fighting game for the first time...when Cole was in Street Fighter X Tekken.   :lol ::)

Actually the Vita/PS3 SFxTK has Cole, Toro, and Heihachi.

Good luck doing any of that with more than two fighters in a match.

People were able to do so in the beta.  I dunno.  I can't say anything until I play the game for myself.  If it sucks I'll sell off the PS3 version and keep the Vita version downloaded for laughs.

ど助平

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
This game looks real awesome
USA

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
So, Sony Smash Bros.:

The game does not come with a voucher code to download the Vita version.  Instead, when you put the disc in the PS3, three different icons come up- The game, its digital manual, and extras, which takes you to the PSN Store and lets you download the Vita version.  You can't download the game until you redeem the online pass and it ties it to one PS3/Vita, so in other words, no game-sharing is going to happen from this.

Played the game on Vita first, going through Nariko's tutorials and did the arcade/story mode.  The game play is still simplistic like other party fighters, but does offer combos and juggles like a "normal" fighting game.

Got online on PS3 in a ranked match against three Raidens at levels 68-75.  Destroyed them with a three-hit kill level one super shot...TWICE.  :rofl

All-Stars is a fun game once you find a character you like and get the game play down.  I'd definitely recommend doing the tutorials to get your character's unique abilities and combos down before jumping online.

Definitely still think the game lacks style compared to Smash, but it's still pretty good.  I think I prefer the control scheme on the Vita version over the PS3 version.

It's hard to tell if the PS3 version looks any better than the Vita version.  Both games pretty much look the same from what I can tell.  It's not the most visually-impressive title out there, but the game stays locked at 60 FPS and the netcode is great.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:55:49 AM by bork laser »
ど助平

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
It would be cool if this game was successful and Sony let the company make a new IP fighter after, headed up by Seth Killian.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »
Love the intro, too- even if it's a little too serious for most of the characters.   :lol

The song is "Finale" by Madeon.
ど助平

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »
so there was no explanation anywhere that helped me figure out how to "cross buy" this. i kept getting an error when i tried to select that "disk benefits" thing. finally updated my firmware for it to work. had to google it to find an answer though

shitty/non intuitive way of handing this
dur

Sho Nuff

« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
WTF are they fighting inside the XMB or what

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
Nariko :lol

The All Star :rofl

Takao

« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2012, 08:33:35 PM »
WTF are they fighting inside the XMB or what

They actually are.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
Oh god  :lol

Takao

« Reply #296 on: November 24, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »
Just won a copy from Twitter.  Time to hopefully troll people with Parappa.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #297 on: November 25, 2012, 04:51:34 AM »
Everyone is pawning off their code... you can tell there is absolutely zero interest in this.
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
So Lightning wasn't in the game after all? Also, Madeon is a great producer, that song is probably the best thing about the game...
^_^

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »
amazon sent me this and eh i'll check it out at least.

I doubt i will get raw enjoyment of of it like i did with melee (fuck brawl) especially when it was 4 player madness with my friends.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:18:51 PM by Purple Filth »