Author Topic: No soap/no shampoo - a three month challenge  (Read 15006 times)

Fifstar

Re: No soap/no shampoo - a three month challenge
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 05:39:07 AM »
I've stopped using soap about a year ago, because my skin was always itchting after my daily shower, I now only use it for the genitals and under the arms. No problems with smell or oily skin at all.

I'd like to to the same with shampoo, only problem is that my hair gets oily extremly fast and my hair would look like that of a hobo after two days, so a two week period to get past that is way too much for me. Maybe I should start to use only water every second day.
Gulp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2012, 05:42:59 AM »
I'm thinking the best way to do this would be to just shave your head first and never resume shampooing. Might give it a shot this summer. Hair and Tokyo summers are fundamentally incompatible anyway
vjj

Spurgeon

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2012, 06:05:24 AM »
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I don't buy that soap wears off quickly. I've had exes compliment my scent long after a shower and even be able to guess the brand of soap I use. Full disclosure: I am a lobbyist for the soap industry.

As for the inability of people to self-diagnose their body odor, this reminds me of how your own farts are more bearable than others. Your fart wasn't that bad, why are these assholes overreacting?

Fifstar

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2012, 06:18:38 AM »
While it's true that it's more difficult to smell yourself, it is not a disqualifier that you actually don't smell bad. Ask someone else if you don't trust yourself, better than just knocking the idea.
Gulp

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
This reminds me of all the sweaty foreigners I encountered in Asia-land who stopped using deodorant because they "were eating just like the locals," and that somehow changed their physiology.

They claimed that they didn't perspire/smell/whatever anymore.

They were wrong.

I tried the no shampoo thing once, and after four days I couldn't handle it anymore. Felt like I was Lou Dunbar and could pull all kinds of useful shit out of it.

Hero
o_0

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
I sometimes go a day or two without washing my hair. It actually does wonders for my short, faux-hawk type cut. I start to feel gross after too long and then it's a ticket down to shampoo city.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »
This reminds me of all the sweaty foreigners I encountered in Asia-land who stopped using deodorant because they "were eating just like the locals," and that somehow changed their physiology.

They claimed that they didn't perspire/smell/whatever anymore.

They were wrong.

I tried the no shampoo thing once, and after four days I couldn't handle it anymore. Felt like I was Lou Dunbar and could pull all kinds of useful shit out of it.

I was told I stunk, for using deodorant, by people who reeked of B.O.   :lol :yuck
ど助平

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
I really don't get how someone can walk around smelling like that. Whenever it's finals or mid term time, the uni library smells horrible due to many Indians who don't wear deodorant. If you can shower and not have to use deodorant more power to you. But if you can't, for the love of god start using it asap

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 03:23:03 AM »
I haven't used shampoo for about 2 years, its fine for me, because I shower regularly so don't feel the need to molest my follicles with chemical horrors.
:{]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2012, 03:41:28 AM »
My hair got extremely dry in the last year, so I've been experimenting with shampoos and trying to determine how many times a week to use it. I used to do it every night, but my hair just got dryer. Now I do it around 3 times a week or so and the problem hasn't gone away smh. Guess I'll go down to two

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2012, 07:35:18 AM »
Real talk: I never wash my face with soap.

I need to wash my hair every second day though cause it gets greasy, thats the trouble with having amazing hair that girls are jelly off.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »
Didn't shampoo yesterday and I'm pretty sure my hair smells today.
Drunk

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 08:32:29 AM »
When I first got into Paleo last year I read up on people who skipped shampoo and soap and were trying to convince others to do the same.

I lasted about 3 days in August NYC weather.  It was fucking disgusting.  By the end, I was getting on a packed train full of other innocent people and I smelled like the crustiest of crust punks.
Tonya

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
Hey guyz do our teeth really need all those chemicals on the toothpaste?
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »

Just use your finger.
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2012, 11:57:29 AM »
barf
o_0

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
I brush my teeth once a day or twice a day and use mouthwash.

No cavities in 20 years.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2012, 12:30:49 PM »
I bet you get killer crotch rot... especially in the summer time
fat

Himu

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »
My hair got extremely dry in the last year, so I've been experimenting with shampoos and trying to determine how many times a week to use it. I used to do it every night, but my hair just got dryer. Now I do it around 3 times a week or so and the problem hasn't gone away smh. Guess I'll go down to two

you are black, not white. black people only need to shampoo once every week or two weeks.

gj killing your hair.

baka.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:11:49 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »

I brush my teeth twice every day. Have only ever had one cavity - my biggest shame - in my life.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »
I've had two and a root canal.  it was the worst.  now I try and brush three times a day

fuck flossing though

also I've gone three days without shampoo and my hair feels luxurious
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
Not flossing is probably why you got those cavities.
fat

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »

you are black, not white. black people only need to shampoo once every week or two weeks.

gj killing your hair.

baka.
       \
         \
           \

Himu

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2012, 05:22:15 PM »
Don't wash your hair every day. Because of the drier texture of African-American hair, it needs to retain its oils. Shampoo your hair once every three to seven days.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5440855_grow-healthy-hair-african-americans.html

IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »
Regular flossing does suck.  I probably wouldn't floss if I didn't have floss picks.

Himu

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »
Flossing before floss picks was not a thing for me. Flossing with regular floss? I never "got" it. The ends would always get wet and I'd have trouble flossing or keeping them tethered to my fingers. Anyone who hates/finds flossing annoying should get floss picks.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
I probably wouldn't floss if I didn't have floss picks.

Same here, those floss picks are where it's at.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
Flossing before floss picks was not a thing for me. Flossing with regular floss? I never "got" it. The ends would always get wet and I'd have trouble flossing or keeping them tethered to my fingers. Anyone who hates/finds flossing annoying should get floss picks.

Use a long piece. You arent supposed to saw back and forth. You dig in and pick it back out. Chances are the dentist has done this to you during visits.
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »
Flossing picks?  That shit is so mine.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »
As long as you're flossing 1-2 times a day, it's all good. Personally I prefer regular floss, not a fan of picks.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
Get dat water pik. Squirt squirt.
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »
I'm pretty good at noticing my own BO, I'm real sensitive to it. That's not to say I don't eventually stink like usual by the end of the day. But after a shower? I certainly don't have BO because I wash that all off.

Your point is that is that if you don't use soap, you'll have BO! When in reality, soap smell wears off - real quick, real fast. Most of the smell you put on occurs after a shower: deodorant, cologne. Your claim is that you know people who claim they didn't smell after using deodorant? Of course they're full of shit. Deodorant masks musk. But soap? You think people will smell because they aren't using soap in the shower? On what basis? How? How is there a difference between using hot water and a washcloth/sponge and a washcloth/sponge with soap? If you're scrubbing, and using water, you're still getting dirt and excess off of your body.

So your point about people smelling is a total random one and irrelevant one, especially when someone who is not using soap DOES use deodorant.

Oil resists water. Soap bonds oil and water and then slides off your body. I learned this in fifth grade

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »

Just use your finger.

Or gnaw on a fresh bone like a fucking caveman/himuro

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »
I'm pretty good at noticing my own BO, I'm real sensitive to it. That's not to say I don't eventually stink like usual by the end of the day. But after a shower? I certainly don't have BO because I wash that all off.

Your point is that is that if you don't use soap, you'll have BO! When in reality, soap smell wears off - real quick, real fast. Most of the smell you put on occurs after a shower: deodorant, cologne. Your claim is that you know people who claim they didn't smell after using deodorant? Of course they're full of shit. Deodorant masks musk. But soap? You think people will smell because they aren't using soap in the shower? On what basis? How? How is there a difference between using hot water and a washcloth/sponge and a washcloth/sponge with soap? If you're scrubbing, and using water, you're still getting dirt and excess off of your body.

So your point about people smelling is a total random one and irrelevant one, especially when someone who is not using soap DOES use deodorant.

Oil resists water. Soap bonds oil and water and then slides off your body. I learned this in fifth grade

Also from fifth grade: What does your body do when you remove all the oil from it? Make more oil.
vjj

MrAngryFace

« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »
DIRTY HIPPIES!!!!!
o_0

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »
I'm thinking the best way to do this would be to just shave your head first and never resume shampooing. Might give it a shot this summer. Hair and Tokyo summers are fundamentally incompatible anyway

This sounds like a good idea.  I might have to copy this.
🍆🍆

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
No soap/no shampoo - a three month challenge
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2012, 07:57:46 PM »
This thread is disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself, Himu.

As an aside: +1 for flossing picks (and clean people).
Unzip

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:13 PM »

I'm talking myself into it. I've had super-short hair for over 10 yrs now but have never actually shaved my head. Given that I work from home, I wouldn't even have to take shit about it!

The other solution is of course to be a big girly-girl and use conditioner.
vjj

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »

I'm talking myself into it. I've had super-short hair for over 10 yrs now but have never actually shaved my head. Given that I work from home, I wouldn't even have to take shit about it!

My hair is so thin and fragile that I've heard the "ur going bald" jokes since I was 12.  It might be time to try something else.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2012, 09:10:44 PM »

Shaving your head is actually surprisingly easy once you get used to it. Keep in mind if you DO shave it, you will most likely need to wear a hat, especially in those Tokyo summers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:16:59 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »

Let me know how your wife reacts to your bald head.

My wife is completely against me shaving mine, despite my hairline and forehead gradually approaching Shao-Lin formation.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »
I shampoo once every couple of months. My scalp reacts so badly to it, even using natural herbal shampoos. I just give my hair a good daily rinse with hot water in the shower. My hairdresser compliments me on how healthy my hair is, so hey.

Also if you are going to use no soap, dont cop out and soap your buttcrack. Grow you nails long and use those badboys to exfoliate all the dead skin and shit nuggets

MrAngryFace

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2012, 02:17:13 AM »
lol
o_0

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Unzip

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
You might as well use all that unused shampoo/soap and jerk it in the tub while you're there.
fat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2012, 09:01:06 AM »
Conditioner works better.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »

Also from fifth grade: What does your body do when you remove all the oil from it? Make more oil.

That's why most people bathe at least once a week.
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »
This bore trend is disturbing
o_0

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »
This bore trend is disturbing

this is why i don't go to meetups
Tonya

MrAngryFace

« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2012, 10:11:56 AM »
Truth
o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
How is that any different from regular floss? Do you rip a piece for each tooth? If it bothers you use 2 different picks for the top and bottom rows. Your teeth arent going to be harmed by the same floss strip.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
http://www.adha.org/oralhealth/flossing.htm

5. Use separate piece of floss for every tooth

???
fat

Robo

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
I just wash the pick off.  I feel bad enough using those things at all for how wasteful they are.  But I probably wouldn't floss otherwise.
obo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
You're supposed to rinse the pick. We wouldnt want to rub our teeth with the same food particles would we?
fat

Himu

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
Yeah, wash it after each tooth.
IYKYK

Fifstar

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »
I use dental silk, quick to handle and you can use a different part of the string for each tooth.
Gulp

Himu

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
A week and a half into this, and so far my razor bumps have completely disappeared despite shaving every two days and the pimples that I've had on my back for years are completely gone.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2012, 10:07:12 PM »
I rinse the picks in mouthwash between teeth, makes 'em nice and minty too!
vjj

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2012, 05:07:19 AM »
I rinse the picks in mouthwash between teeth, makes 'em nice and minty too!

That's a fucking great idea! I'm gonna start doing that.
Unzip

Fifstar

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2012, 06:41:59 AM »
So, only used water to wash my hair today, will see how long I can keep that up. I would shave my hair as that does indeed seem like the best way but my girlfriend would not be pleased.
Gulp