Author Topic: star trek  (Read 330482 times)

Mods Help

Re: star trek
« Reply #420 on: December 22, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
I agree.

The TV show is far more important. I hope they don't fuck it up but the stream only cbs shit is already a huge red flag.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #421 on: December 22, 2015, 10:53:27 AM »
TOS was full of dumb action too, there just wasn't the budget or special effects.

I mean..."Arena" exists. "Space Seed" "The Enemy Within" "Errand of Mercy" and "The Alternative Factor" are in the first season too. Some are really good episode, but all have stupid as fuck and illogical action sequences. The third season especially has a lot of people running down corridors and then Kirk ('s stunt double) trying to karate chop them in the neck.

The problem with the two Abrams films was that they never fucking stopped, which is key to Trek's main difference. The only parts are when Kirk outplays Spock in the first one (with help from Old Spock...and even that gets interrupted with the goofy Scotty in the brewery tubes) and the stuff with discovering (and using) Khan's crew in the torpedoes in the second.

If the bulk of Beyond has an extended part with the main cast stranded in a busted shuttle on an alien planet, where they meet some of the natives for short action segments, that's "The Galileo Seven" which was early on and used the opportunity to flesh out a number of characters.

tl;dr: get hyyyype, even if they can't do something like II, III, IV and VI in this day of all franchises must be blockbusters

Tasty

« Reply #422 on: December 22, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #423 on: December 25, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
Just posting in support of Wrath. F&F is trash.
:rejoice

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #424 on: December 25, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
Just posting in support of Wrath. F&F is trash.
:rejoice

:bolo
dog

Tasty

« Reply #425 on: December 26, 2015, 01:17:29 AM »
Bought my dad the entire original series on Blu-ray for Christmas, we went through some eps today and this show is fuckin' rad. :rock

He's had TOS on about 30 (official) VHS tapes he got 20 years ago. They're what got me into Trek originally. He's always been a TOS guy while my older sis and I were more TNG. We all love both series though, of course. (Older sis is the only one of us to have seen any of the other series.)

I've seen a good chunk of TOS but not all of it, TNG always seemed to be in syndication more when I was growing up so I always so more of that (and have probably seen 95% of that show.)

Excited to go through TOS with him over the next week. The Blu-ray look fantastic; 4:3 as God/Roddenberry intended, saturated as hell (dem colors brehs) with some redone effects (mostly space shots.) Might be a placebo, but I caught a TOS ep on Spike a few years back and the redone stuff was jarring as hell, but in this Blu-ray it feels appropriate. Could be my mind playing tricks but for the time being I'm under the impression this Blu-ray has different effects from the syndication a few years back. Probably wrong about that, but the point is, the BR looks fantastic to me.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #426 on: December 26, 2015, 03:30:00 AM »
I'm just saying I think he has the capabilities. If he gets Trek, we will see the results. JJ never got Trek and it shows even if they're fun dumb Star Wars stuff.

Anyways, Star Trek premieres in two years. You have two years to brush up on your shit, Wrath. Watch TOS or its movie series. All of them are good to great.

Except ST V. No-one really likes V.

benjipwns

« Reply #427 on: December 26, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »
The remasters got better with each iteration. The early TOS ones were gaudy and the altered frames really stood out, then they started to do them so they fit better and changes started more subtle, and a lot of the TNG ones don't really stand out if you've never seen the original episodes. They just look hott if you have an original to compare to.

Until Enterprise (I think), Star Trek TV series were shot on 35mm film, so they're 4:3 by default (and the remasters are fairly easy), originally they were redoing the space scenes for TOS/TNG in 16:9 but they changed that to fit the episodes. DS9/VOY were thought to have too much CG with the original files lost to be worth the cost, but apparently they found the original CG files and were doing testing starting with just running the sequences at higher resolutions.

I believe when it came time for the DVDs they did another quick pass over the early TOS remasters to clean them up a little. But, unlike say, Star Wars, the updates always were mostly focused on making the matte backgrounds not stand out when seen in HD, redrawing them to be "true" to the original vision, etc.

Arena's a great example because who the fuck knows what's going in the background of that original one. (And it clips over the edge of the set. :lol)
Original:

Remastered:

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #428 on: December 26, 2015, 12:40:36 PM »
I'm a huge tos nerd and I never went back and watched the remasters.

Some day.

benjipwns

« Reply #429 on: December 26, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
For a while they were free on basically every streaming service, they still are on Amazon Prime. Haven't checked the others for it specifically in some time but Amazon keeps e-mailing me about how I should finish watching season three.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #430 on: January 18, 2016, 02:18:22 PM »
Back in the USA now, so I'm mainlining as much TNG as I can. Man, I love this show; it is so uplifting and hopeful. I really enjoy seeing all the interaction between the characters, which clarifies what was usually so wrong with all the TOS and TNG movies: it's just down to Kirk and Spock, or Picard and Data. The fun comes when the bridge crew are playing off each other, milking their individual quirks for reactions against each other.

I need to go back to DS9 when I'm back in Japan. I think the thing which keeps sending me away is the generally dark and dour tone, the lessened emphasis on humor, the constant threat of war with Cardassians or the Dominion, and so on. I know it gets better as seasons go on, so I want to at least get to s4 before determining if I can stick with it.

Also: Bev Crusher and Deanna Troi have some kind of tantric hold over my nostalgia-riddled hormones. My goodness. ::fans self::

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #431 on: January 18, 2016, 02:32:08 PM »

I need to go back to DS9 when I'm back in Japan. I think the thing which keeps sending me away is the generally dark and dour tone, the lessened emphasis on humor

Interesting.  I agree that, episode-to-episode, DS9 has less emphasis on humour, but I think DS9 is the funniest Trek show when they do decide to turn on the humour.

Any Ferengi-centric episode, the baseball game episode, the Klingon bachelor party episode.  That shit is gold, Jerry!
MMA

benjipwns

« Reply #432 on: January 18, 2016, 06:48:56 PM »
DS9 has plenty of humorous moments in its more serious episodes too imo, especially involving Garak just chatting with people. These are all from "dark" episodes IIRC.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
westtxtapper 6 months ago
 We never do find out how is the spiced pudding!
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #433 on: January 18, 2016, 06:50:42 PM »
Also: Bev Crusher and Deanna Troi have some kind of tantric hold over my nostalgia-riddled hormones. My goodness. ::fans self::
Braga noted the show was not popular among who he dubbed "hard-core fans". "I've come to notice that whenever you infuse a show with sexual themes, some of these fans seem to short-circuit. I mean, the weather array malfunction causing thunderstorms – it was fun!"

René Echevarria recalled, "I can still reduce Brannon to shudders when I go into his office and say, 'I can travel on the power transfer beam'. But the cast loved it. Every woman on the lot who read it was coming up to Brannon and patting him. Ultimately I think it was worth doing because it was campy fun and the production values were wonderful. The sets look great and everybody threw themselves into it. Gates did a wonderful job. It just got bigger and broader and to the point of grandmother leaping out of the grave. Just having Beverly basically writhing around having an orgasm at 6 o'clock on family TV was great. For that alone it was worth doing. We got away with murder."

Mods Help

« Reply #434 on: January 18, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »
I find DS9 the funniest. I also like its cast the most. I like TNG but it's so dated to me and a product of its times. The more serial nature of ds9 appeals to me. Nothing really matters in TNG. I find DS9 pulls comedy off better because the character interaction is there in a place where it allows them to be in situations they just couldn't be in TNG's setting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:49:58 PM by Mods Help »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #435 on: January 18, 2016, 07:45:55 PM »

The Ferengi pulling a Weekend at Bernie's to resuce Moogie.  :lawd
MMA

Mods Help

« Reply #436 on: January 18, 2016, 07:48:56 PM »
Ferengi own

benjipwns

« Reply #437 on: January 18, 2016, 07:49:40 PM »
I love in Deja Q how Picard and the rest of the crew start being dicks back to Q. And they never really respect him when he comes back after that even with his powers.

Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?

Mods Help

« Reply #438 on: January 18, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »

I also don't understand why people think TNG has good character interaction or character development. You've got Riker the endless brown noser, Troi who has feelings, Wesley the I can do anything kid, Geordi the weirdo, Data the annoying Pinnochio. TBH, Worf and Picard are the only shining lights on the cast. The fact that the cast has zero drama within it as mandated by Roddenberry's stupid no internal conflict rule -  the core of drama storytelling - is icing on the cake. The only reason the cast gets okay-ish is because the show turns into something like House. It's comfort food. So you get used to them. But I can't really call the cast actually good and I found more interesting character interaction within DS9's first two episodes than the entire whole of TNG.

To be honest, only seasons 3-5 of TNG are really worth watching and I like it less and less over time. It really is a boring show and there's no reason at all the shows after it followed its template. It's not a surprise I didn't understand Star Trek in my early years based on TNG. Thank goodness for DS9.

I know people like TNG because it's not serialized and you can watch any episode in most any order, but that's exactly why I'm not big on it. Nothing matters. Nothing changes. Those are my final thoughts on TNG as someone who watched it for the first time in this age of serialized TV. I know others don't like DS9 for the same exact reasons I like it: it's slow and with an emphasis on character interaction and drama that builds over multiple seasons.

benjipwns

« Reply #439 on: January 18, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
Enterprise? Oh yes, weren't you one of the little people?

You hit me... Picard never hit me.
[close]

Mods Help

« Reply #440 on: January 18, 2016, 07:58:34 PM »
"I'm not Picard."

And thank God :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #441 on: January 20, 2016, 01:49:25 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2016, 01:55:43 AM »
Shatner's name is so big it just about makes the title of the book confusing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #443 on: January 20, 2016, 02:00:31 PM »
Shatner still capitalizing on exploitation of his friends. Or, possibly, friend (singular) since Nimoy was apparently the only one who could stand him.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #444 on: January 20, 2016, 02:07:57 PM »
What is the famous next gen "there are 3 lights" episode?

Also didn't Nimoy and Shatner have a falling out some time ago?

Edit: Yup

http://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/11182/Mr-Spock-Captain-Kirk-and-a-bitter-40-year-battle
YMMV

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #445 on: January 20, 2016, 02:33:15 PM »
I think one of the cool things about DS9's crew is you get the distinct impression that these people would not be cooperative or even friends with each other under any other circumstances besides deep space. Not even bar or academy mates.

Mods Help

« Reply #446 on: January 20, 2016, 02:57:11 PM »
Yup. I love that. I love the work they put into the building the relationships too. Kira and Sisqo alone for example.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #447 on: January 20, 2016, 05:10:15 PM »
O'brien and Bashir had a really fun stupid friendship too.
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »

:leon

Mods Help

« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2016, 05:26:33 PM »
O'brien and Bashir had a really fun stupid friendship too.

Oh man that's a great example.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #450 on: January 20, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »

Also didn't Nimoy and Shatner have a falling out some time ago?

Edit: Yup

http://www.express.co.uk/expressyourself/11182/Mr-Spock-Captain-Kirk-and-a-bitter-40-year-battle

I'd not heard any of that before, but it doesn't surprise me. I guess what I meant was that Nimoy was more diplomatic in dealing with Shatner than the rest of the actors. It sounds as though Shatner deserves every raspberry he could ever receive.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

benjipwns

« Reply #452 on: January 30, 2016, 01:34:25 AM »
THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS.

It's the second part of "Chain of Command" as I think they're only captured at the end of the first part.
[close]

Mods Help

« Reply #453 on: January 30, 2016, 02:41:43 AM »
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Gets tortured and never mentions it again.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #454 on: January 30, 2016, 02:47:16 AM »
Hm, it just occured to me that this might eventually be used for PC cases. :leon

benjipwns

« Reply #455 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-bryan-fuller-showrunner-cbs-hannibal-1201700606/

“Hannibal” creator Bryan Fuller has found his next mission: showrunner and co-creator of CBS’ new “Star Trek” series.

A longtime fan of science fiction, Fuller began his career writing for “Star Trek: Voyager” (1997-2001) and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” (1997).

“My very first experience of ‘Star Trek’ is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the ‘Star Trek’ universe lit my imagination on fire,” said Fuller. “It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand new iteration of ‘Star Trek’ with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before.”

The new series is set to bow on CBS in January 2017, then move to CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. It will be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/697118666752598016

Stoney Mason

« Reply #456 on: February 09, 2016, 07:27:16 PM »
Nice. Good to have someone in charge of it who is actually a fan of Trek after the JJ movies. Never watched Hannibal so can't comment on that.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #457 on: February 09, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
Hannibal is terrific, I'm definitely most interested with Fuller involved.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #458 on: February 10, 2016, 02:24:25 PM »
Hannibal is terrific, I'm definitely most interested with Fuller involved.
Pushing Daisies was also super charming and well crafted. This will be awesome.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #459 on: February 10, 2016, 05:43:03 PM »
tumblr/twitter already in love with the idea of a fuller trek show because of something he must have said years ago in an interview?

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »
Angela Bassett and Rosario Dawson   :like

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #461 on: February 10, 2016, 06:32:38 PM »
Let's Go Boner Town!

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #462 on: February 11, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »
Don't know if anybody pointed it out but there is a pretty interesting documentary about the behind the scenes shenanigans that went on pre-production and during production of TNG on Netflix called Chaos on The Bridge.

They were so fucked they had to steal food from catering for the show Cheers.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:19:06 AM by D3RANG3D »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #463 on: February 11, 2016, 06:18:37 PM »
Is that worth watching? I started it but realized I don't know if I have the fortitude to deal with an hour and a half of bloviating shatnerisms

Mods Help

« Reply #464 on: February 11, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »
It says tng

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #465 on: February 11, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »
Yeah if you can't stand Shatner, you are kinda SOL cuz he narrates most if not all Star Trek Documentaries.

Where else is he going to get work?
[close]

Mods Help

« Reply #466 on: February 11, 2016, 07:12:59 PM »
Oh. Lol

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #467 on: February 11, 2016, 08:23:28 PM »
Yeah if you can't stand Shatner, you are kinda SOL cuz he narrates most if not all Star Trek Documentaries.

[close]
Huh, until just now I had thought he had been pretty well employed. I just looked at his credits and he still gets work every year but the biggest thing he's been involved in recently is a Stephen King scifi channel show. I guess his work in commercials fooled me into thinking he was more ubiquitous than he is.

I don't hate the man, but his narration style really gets on my nerves.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #468 on: February 12, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »

[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #469 on: March 03, 2016, 03:09:38 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #470 on: March 03, 2016, 03:35:22 AM »
I wonder what exactly it means that they're going back to the old timeline, yet also considering continuing the Abramsverse Trek under the new direction Beyond is supposed to take.

Not that I have a problem with it, it's just kinda interesting in today's whole crossmedia franchise universe.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #471 on: March 03, 2016, 05:03:24 AM »
Hopefully they ignore the temptation to cross promote or cross universe with those JJ movies at all.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #472 on: March 03, 2016, 05:05:17 AM »
Article says no Abrams alternate universe stuff.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #473 on: March 03, 2016, 06:02:17 AM »
Pity, that's a good MBT
ὕβρις

Mods Help

« Reply #474 on: March 03, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »

Stoney Mason

chronovore

• relapsed dev

benjipwns

« Reply #477 on: March 10, 2016, 04:17:05 AM »
I imagine they mostly want to see if the current incarnation of the film franchise can stand on its own.

I also can't imagine that the TV series is ready to start airing already? Beyond could probably come out this spring but they likely want to avoid BatmanvSuperman and Civil War among others.

benjipwns

« Reply #478 on: April 14, 2016, 06:54:49 AM »
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/the-new-star-trek-tv-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation
UPDATE! A trusted source has chimed in and told me that it looks like the show will be a seasonal anthology, which means the first season will be set post-Undiscovered Country. After that the entire Star Trek universe is potentially open. So those of you hoping for a post-Dominion War show... don't give up hope. That could come some day.

Kelsey time...for two seasons!
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #479 on: April 14, 2016, 06:55:24 AM »
Also had to post this in here instead of GAF thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200948128&postcount=497
Any anthology Star Trek is ruined when you consider that now that there is a series that could do, we will STILL never see a live-action Coutdown due to Nemoy's death.

:(
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200948256&postcount=500
It's not just a tie-in comic.

It is the first half of the most emotional and (in my eyes) greatest Star Trek story of all time. I re-read the whole thing an hour before I watched XI in a theatre.

It was incredible, and I will never forget it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=200948352&postcount=503
It is the 11th film, it will always be the 11th film.