Author Topic: BEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR  (Read 42895 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: BEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #300 on: September 08, 2016, 04:27:11 AM »
Some strong blonde ale tonight, feeling like a lightweight as the 7% is having its way with my empty stomach and The Smiths playlist in the background is making me feel great within feeling not-so-great.

https://untappd.com/user/chronovore/checkin/357934247

Anyway, you guys are awesome.  :-*

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #301 on: September 08, 2016, 04:36:27 AM »
Whats wrong boo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2016, 04:57:07 AM »
Whats wrong boo

Nothing, I'm just in that sort of emotional buzz area where I'm full of hugs.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »
huuuuug  :-[

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #304 on: December 10, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »
This is Mr Gundam and I at Black Raven. :lol

http://imgur.com/gallery/hAYN4Su

Had a Nagahama Special IPA last night; found it in cans. Fantastic IPA, where the sweet malt flavor was still present. Gotta buy more.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »
A friend here in Osaka is moving back to the USA, so he unloaded his beer cellar. A mess of major hitters, rare items, most of which were hand imported and carefully stored. An embarrassment of riches. Everything on my history up until Renaissance's Little Ripa was last night's debauch:

https://untappd.com/user/chronovore/beers

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #306 on: April 04, 2017, 12:37:17 AM »
Hit up the Oyster Bay Brewery with some friends yesterday. They had a bunch of options available but I wasn't much impressed with what I tried, they had a honey blonde ale that was pretty good. Sand City still the best LI brewery if you ask me.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #307 on: May 29, 2017, 10:00:50 PM »
There was a craft beer festival downtown over the weekend. I've been twice before, the beer is… OK, not great. This time, though, there was a "Think Tank IPA" collaboration beer between Akashi and Dotonbori breweries. Probably the best Japanese IPA I've ever had.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #308 on: May 29, 2017, 10:37:06 PM »
My area just suddenly started stocking Hamm's everywhere for some reason. 6 pack of tallboys for $2.99 over the past week. The regular price is $3.29. How the fuck can you turn that shit down?

How? Easy! Because life's too short for bad beer.

Freyj

« Reply #309 on: May 29, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »
Hamm's is just fine for day drinking. Especially at that price.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #310 on: May 30, 2017, 01:00:55 AM »
My area just suddenly started stocking Hamm's everywhere for some reason. 6 pack of tallboys for $2.99 over the past week. The regular price is $3.29. How the fuck can you turn that shit down?

How? Easy! Because life's too short for bad beer.

It's about the same quality as other domestics like Bud/Miller/Coors, but almost half the price. It's not like I'm talking about Ice House or Steel Reserve.

Oh, don't mind me; I'm not judging, just bitter. Asahi Super-Dry is ¥180/can here, and the only way to get close to even $5/sixpack here is to get something called "happoshū" which I think is just a malt beverage and is horribad. Decent beer is ¥260/can, and good beer is between ¥500-1000 per 12 oz/33cl bottle.

I have actually only had Bud once, at a Japanese place where it was touted as an import. Tasted miserable, like formaldehyde or plastic. Just miserable. I had a Coors once when I was a kid; my parents gave it to me as a joke, and it ended up keeping me from drinking anything until I turned 21.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #311 on: May 30, 2017, 02:59:18 AM »
Bud/Miller/Coors don't really taste GOOD, but they're cheaper and not bad enough to not drink. PBR and Hamm's also taste pretty similar. None are like WOW THIS TASTES SO GOOD, but none are bad enough that you won't drink them if you want to get drunk. Even Busch is pretty gross as well, but I've had plenty of craft or specialties that were much much grosser and much much more expensive.

I ain't drinking beer to improve my personality  :foxx

Fair enough. I don't really drink to get drunk, I drink because I like the taste and to get a bit buzzed. Actually, whisky is only for the taste, since I don't get buzzed, just sleepy.  :-\

chronovore

• relapsed dev

etiolate

« Reply #313 on: May 31, 2017, 12:36:09 AM »
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

pls dont kill Unlucky 13

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2017, 02:08:12 AM »
You'll never escape the macro-brew overlords.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #315 on: May 31, 2017, 02:40:43 AM »
You'll never escape the macro-brew overlords.

Stone Brewery has set up a $100M company to help sponsor smaller brewers; I wouldn't be surprised if the contract language includes time limits prohibiting being purchased by macrobreweries.

« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »
Hey Chrono,

Fremont is now distributing to Japan via Evergreen Imports. I've asked the owner if Osaka will see any or it is just gonna be Tokyo. Ask at your local bars!
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #317 on: November 03, 2017, 11:22:52 AM »
Hey Chrono,

Fremont is now distributing to Japan via Evergreen Imports. I've asked the owner if Osaka will see any or it is just gonna be Tokyo. Ask at your local bars!

YYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH~!

Even if they're not in Osaka yet, it likely means it will find its way down here. And I've got a cousin I can sic on a Tokyo beer-hunt before we let him come back to Osaka.

« Reply #318 on: November 03, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »
Also, you might know, but are any Japanese beer places kid friendly? Addie will be coming with us in April, and I honestly never remember seeing kids anywhere we went.
野球

warcock

« Reply #319 on: November 03, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »

Even the jewish media can't censor this righteousness.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #320 on: November 03, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
Weissbiers aren't my thing, but I'll respect your commitment to it implied by image size.

Also, you might know, but are any Japanese beer places kid friendly? Addie will be coming with us in April, and I honestly never remember seeing kids anywhere we went.
You know, I rarely see kids, but AFAIK, they are all kid-friendly. Bars aren't but the craft beer spots seem to be gastro-pub-ish in nature. That Craft Beer Base place we hit in Umeda is run by a Mom who owns several places. A really nice one that is the newly-reopened dIG BEER BAR is right across from a park.

I know Lingua World Café is organized AROUND having it be a family space. Kamikaze allows kids no problem, though people smoke there.

I think you'll be fine.

OH, while you're in Tokyo, you've got to hit Devilcraft and/or Craft Beer Market. The latter was my dinner spot after a great day of interviews at Disney Japan — stupid expensive real estate, but CBM is reasonable and has great food.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #321 on: November 03, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »

Since I dont think anyone here is Scottish im going to name drop brewdog scottish brewed beer. They sell internationally but not so frequent, I recommended to a guy in Canada who found some in a bar locally and loved it. Made with fresh raw materials sourced from the highlands (dat fresh water tho <3), amazing taste, if you happen to come across it, you wont regret giving it a shot.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #322 on: November 03, 2017, 05:59:42 PM »
Brewdog sells all over Japan, and it's pretty popular. Cormacaroni came out to play in Tokyo last time I was up, and we went out for barbacoa and beers — sadly, the Brewdog Pub was CLOSED and we had to sully ourselves with sitting in the neighboring TGIF over Asahi Super Dry.  :-\

« Reply #323 on: November 03, 2017, 06:03:37 PM »
Em and I had dinner with Cormac at the Devil Craft in Hamamatsucho last time we were in Tokyo. Had some really nice beers.

BrewDog is fine. They've recently opened up a facility in Ohio, but I'd never think about buying their stuff due to Seattle and the PNW have a ridiculous glut of fantastic breweries. It's hard not to buy local.
野球

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #324 on: November 03, 2017, 06:06:05 PM »
Actually I know that certain aspects of Scottish culture is quite popular in Japan so im not all that surprised brewdog managed to get a name for itself relatively quickly over there, but to actually have opened their own pub there is quite surprising and cool. Although I think the reason they have Tokyo in an elaborate sign i my local makes a lot more sense.

Next time you go in ask for "sink the bismark" its expensive, like £42 / bottle, but they also normally do drams of it like you would a shot of spirits. It's 47% beer, not something I would drink regularly, but it is an experience.

« Reply #325 on: November 03, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
I'd gladly buy a bottle of Tactical Nuclear Penguin (Chrono knows why), but but ice distilled beer is illegal in the US.

BrewDog is a known name here, but not very beloved among beer fans. The owners have a show on cable here called BrewDogs where they go around North America.
野球

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #326 on: November 03, 2017, 06:13:30 PM »
Just googled it as I never heard of that one tbh, it's at 32% Tbf sounds like it has potential to be more enjoyable over a longer period of time compared to bismark.

Edit: brewdog have their own show, what the actual fuck haha.

« Reply #327 on: November 03, 2017, 06:18:42 PM »
Just googled it as I never heard of that one tbh, it's at 32% Tbf sounds like it has potential to be more enjoyable over a longer period of time compared to bismark.

Edit: brewdog have their own show, what the actual fuck haha.

野球

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #328 on: November 03, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
Man, that feels kinda weird. Thanks for sharing though. Is the show any good? Trailer doesnt actually give me high hopes.

« Reply #329 on: November 03, 2017, 06:32:25 PM »
Man, that feels kinda weird. Thanks for sharing though. Is the show any good? Trailer doesnt actually give me high hopes.

It's ok. I had fun watching the Seattle and Portland episodes and questioning the places they visited.
野球

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #330 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »
Out of curiosity how did you get on with the scottish accents?

« Reply #331 on: November 03, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »
Out of curiosity how did you get on with the scottish accents?

No problem whatsoever. I wouldn’t be surprised if they worked with a voice coach to tone them down.
野球

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #332 on: November 03, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
I tried Grolsh recently. Really liked it. The swing top bottle was cool too.

Freaky Fred

« Reply #333 on: November 03, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
My life has revolved around craft beer for the past 3 years now.. maybe i should lurk/post here

Anyone fuck with Two Roads brewing?

Their tanker series sours are really good
yuck

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #334 on: November 05, 2017, 07:51:04 AM »
My life has revolved around craft beer for the past 3 years now.. maybe i should lurk/post here

Mr Gundam is your only friend there, in Sours Land.

I'm starting to shift toward stouts, enjoy saisons, still love hoppy IIPAs, but cannot abide sours yet.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #335 on: November 05, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »

I've had some of their stuff, Workers Comp is pretty decent.
^_^

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #336 on: November 05, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
Went to a beer festival last weekend.  It was OK, beer is really hit or miss with me.  I did have one really awesome chocholatly stout though, and its brewed in Toronto so I can actually buy it too.

machine

« Reply #337 on: November 05, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »
I had Backwoods Bastard last night. That was some good shit.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #338 on: November 05, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »
The Saint Bernardus Abt 12 is probably my favourite beer.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #339 on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:55 PM »

Mr Gundam is your only friend there, in Sours Land.

I'm starting to shift toward stouts, enjoy saisons, still love hoppy IIPAs, but cannot abide sours yet.
Maybe try goses. They add salt to cut the bite.
每天生气

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #340 on: November 05, 2017, 10:14:12 PM »
When I lived in Asheville, I grew to enjoy a sour or two. But like as a stop in between other breweries
dur

Freaky Fred

« Reply #341 on: November 06, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
Maybe try goses. They add salt to cut the bite.

And I think Jammer from Sixpoint is a real easy drinking Gose to get into

I had Backwoods Bastard last night. That was some good shit.

One of my favorites
yuck

Trurl

« Reply #342 on: November 08, 2017, 10:28:24 PM »
I've been drinking Torpedo tonight.

IPAs start strong for me and then they get kind of gross, but by the time I'm drunk they're pretty good again.  It's a U pattern of goodness

« Reply #343 on: November 09, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
redrum
[close]
野球

« Reply #344 on: November 09, 2017, 10:31:40 PM »
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #345 on: September 02, 2018, 11:44:13 AM »
Visited the Baird Taproom in Nakameguro with Cormacaroni and played some Netrunner games. Cloudy/rainy outside, felt perfect to hide indoors and make a run on der zaibatsu.

It's a quarter to 1 now, I will not have slept enough to work optimally tomorrow, but holy fuck what a great Sunday.

Stealth edit:
  • Brewer's Nightmare Rye IPA
  • something-something Stout
  • Ganko Oyaji 2018 Barleywine
  • Suruga Bay Imperial IPA

And then:
  • Cormacaroni's traditional martini
  • Coedo Kyara
  • Dewazakura Junmai Daiginjou

I AM LARGELY DESTROYED. DEATH BY A THOUSAND UGUUs.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #346 on: October 20, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
Got a bottle of Westvleteren XII for my birthday. Hope it's as good as advertised.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #347 on: November 18, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »
It was indeed as good as advertised.

Held my actual birthday party like 2 days ago. Friend gave me a bottle of Jopen Onheilsprofeet. It's a Russian imperial stout that has been aged on whisky barrels. Had a great whisky/peaty taste with a chocolate finish. :)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #348 on: November 18, 2018, 08:12:41 PM »
Got my beer on quite nicely on Saturday night, finding a Tokyo brewpub having a Washington-state beer tap takeover. Melvin and Sound were the two main, with 8 or 9 taps devoted to their lineup. So I got Melvin's Drunken Master (very nice), Sound's Humulo Nimbus (still amazing), and Entendez Noel, Sound's holiday belgian quad, which I recommend to anyone who enjoys that style. It is my new favorite beer.

I'll be hitting the same venue tonight with the visiting Mr. Gundam, so I might try to convince him to get a hometown brew while in Tokyo. :lol

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2018, 09:08:07 PM »
There's a few breweries that opened all within a 2 mile radius of one another in Holbrook. Went to 2 yesterday - 1940's and Squarehead (which opened 3 weeks ago). Some interesting flavors at Squarehead, like a pistachio pils, a hibiscus flavored saison, their own ciders. Will definitely have to go back, and also check out Spider Bite.
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #350 on: December 24, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
Got another bottle of one of my favourite beers.

Emmelisse White Label Russian Imperial Stout. Aged on Laphroaig casks this year, my favourite whisky.

Also got something called BW18, a barleywine infused with cognac and champagne.

« Reply #351 on: December 25, 2018, 03:16:42 PM »
My parents are coming over today to celebrate so we'll be drinking Floodland, Cantillon, assorted hazy IPAs and a 2012 Fremont Bourbon Abominable with dessert tonight.

I'll be hitting the same venue tonight with the visiting Mr. Gundam, so I might try to convince him to get a hometown brew while in Tokyo. :lol

Had a blast last month with this dude and Cormac alongside my cousin and a good family friend who lives in Saitama and his brewer/Yakuza/we're not really sure entourage. Vector Beer Factory, Watering Hole and some random Irish Pub before Chrono walked me back to the station so I'd get safely back to my wife and daughter.
野球

« Reply #352 on: December 25, 2018, 11:16:36 PM »

We had my parents over for Christmas today. Good beers were had.
野球

« Reply #353 on: December 25, 2018, 11:18:53 PM »
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #354 on: December 26, 2018, 10:41:11 AM »
Singlecut, a really great brewery in Queens, released the following NEIPA, "A Modern Day Warrior". As soon as I saw the label art, I had to rush and pick it up (called like 5 different beer distributors since Singlecut cans go fast around here). It's a pretty delicious beer too:

^_^

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #355 on: December 26, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »
Tsing Tao have an IPA and a Stout now. Tried the latter. It was OK.
ὕβρις