Author Topic: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: I don't know what I just saw  (Read 937673 times)

Himu

Re: Pro Wrasslin' Thread: I don't know what I just saw
« Reply #10440 on: May 15, 2020, 02:35:19 PM »
Nick Storm looks like he time traveled from the 80's. He's got the mother fucking LOOK.

Say what you will about Cornette but he is VERY good at his job and I completely forgot that.

edit:

I love this. I thought it was great how they have an opening where they list their biggest draws and then in promos wrestlers use that to bring heat. Like the Worlds Champion Aldis brings up every person that was in the opening title except one dude. And *then* he gets to him. That's good shit that builds basic ass hype. It's also a fantastic way to give new viewers a run down on the status quo within the fed. We now know who's cool and who drools based off that one promo. This is how you build a story.

Good shit. I like.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:45:28 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10441 on: May 15, 2020, 02:58:25 PM »
:dead at NWA shitting on WWE wrestlers cosplaying
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10442 on: May 15, 2020, 03:13:13 PM »
that's nick aldis, your national treasure and the real world's champion to you

Himu

« Reply #10443 on: May 15, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »
It was Cornette who said it during commentary I think.

I love how Aldis comes out in a suit.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10444 on: May 15, 2020, 07:20:26 PM »
NWA is the most refreshing, purest thing to traditional wrestling I've seen in ages. Even NXT lacks this kind of thing because its stories are limited due to most of the wrestlers being so young.

The way they sell the championship story with Storm is great. It's not even bad guy vs good guy but two strong opponents against the next who want a shot at the gold.

Timestamped for the promo.

That's how you get me invested.

I can't believe I've only watched one episode of this and I'm already invested in the wrestlers and their storylines.

I didn't know who Storm was before this promo and advert but I was sold on him after. They did a great job with his story. I don't think I've seen a babyface that good since Sami Zayn debuted on NXT.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 07:40:34 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #10445 on: May 15, 2020, 08:34:34 PM »
Smackdown starts and is still playing a 33+ minute match between Baron Corbin and Elias.

WTF

Himu

« Reply #10446 on: May 15, 2020, 11:00:38 PM »
I'm head over heels in love with Powerrrrrr. This is everything I love about wrasslin. I fucking love this.

Kamille and her storyline fascinate me. I love how Aldis flips from nice face guy to tweener or full on heel within seconds as soon as she's mentioned.

Only complaint is the inclusion of comedy characters like Colt Cabana (like the guy but not a fan of his character) and the fact the Women's Belt is silver and not gold. The women wrestlers are clearly seen as lesser than and that sucks.

edit: Another flaw is the taped audience thing. It's small enough to recognize the audience and you see the same audience in the same clothes 4-5 episodes in. And you know it's supposed to have been aired the next week. This takes you out of kayfabe. There's a girl in the front audience who you know is some wrestling fans non interested girlfriend and she's so definitely not interested and it's KILLING ME.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:36:24 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #10447 on: May 15, 2020, 11:39:06 PM »
Eh most live event attending wrestling fans wear the same clothes all the time any way :trumps
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #10448 on: May 15, 2020, 11:55:47 PM »
Power's biggest flaw is its old boys club sexism. They interview everyone and build up storylines well for every every belt except the women's. They keep putting over the men and not the women, even in promos. They'll have a whole ass women's match and then pretend it didn't happen and not bother to interview the women or build up a storyline around the women's championship belt but will totally give Damien Sandow, whose new name escapes me, and his bum fuck, rote, one note, limited ass promo time. His character has evolved little since his WWE days and he's still a comedic character in a more serious wrestling environment. A comedic character should never, ever be in contention for the gold and yet here we are, putting that hack over the women and build them a storyline.

That's Power's only flaw.

After seeing WWE put on whole ass cage matches for women I have no patience for backwards ass sexist booking.

As for Sandow, he should stick to tag teams. That's the bum division no matter the Fed and great bathroom break time. Hopefully he's out of the Heavyweight picture quick.
IYKYK

Tripon

« Reply #10449 on: May 16, 2020, 12:36:41 AM »

Jim Cornette running a promo on pregnancy.

« Reply #10450 on: May 16, 2020, 04:24:43 AM »

I like Jim Cornette's candor and insight, but here he's just being a gigantic douche.

Thanks for posting this. It highlights the worst of Cornette.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #10452 on: May 16, 2020, 11:47:24 AM »
The return of the girls match :cornette

:rejoice
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #10453 on: May 16, 2020, 12:31:56 PM »

Like I said above. You can see this sexism echoed in Cornette's wrestling program.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #10454 on: May 16, 2020, 01:04:35 PM »
Vince is probably low key happy Becky got pregnant so he can have an excuse to stop pushing women at the top of the card again since Becky's push was a hold over from Ronda's and it's pretty clear Ronda was getting the WM main event regardless of who she was working with. They didn't even do a second Evolution PPV while still constantly talking up how great they are pushing women now because Ronda wasn't going to work it :lol
Pretty convinced that Evolution was mostly a band aid for the women not being able to work the initial saudi shows.
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10455 on: May 16, 2020, 03:42:57 PM »
episode 2 has him watching the roman match so i imagine that will be pretty depressing and/or hilarious

Himu

« Reply #10456 on: May 16, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »
Up to capitulo 7 of NWA. Here's my thoughts:

It's starts out great. Everyone wants the gold. Problem is, the only belt they've built up well is the worlds heavyweight championship. They've done a bad job with the national championship. Their national champion even buries the belt by saying only the Worlds matters. No one is fighting for the national belt. Bad writing. Eli Drake is all over the place. First it seemed like he wanted the contend for that belt and build a feud. The next week he's teaming up with Storm for the tag team belts. ??? Bad booking. Speaking of booking and writing. Making a big deal about Tim Storm and hyping him up and making me fall in love with him feels wasted after he loses in the Tag division. I know they're doing a fall from grace storyline but it makes no sense to me why someone would want to go from Worlds to Tag. At least have him fight for the National the help build that up. Now I see him as a bum.

Too much comedy. Josephus the only wrestler that should be comedy. Aron what's his face and Colt Cabana should not be getting the screen time they're getting. Their inclusion makes me take the show less seriously. The fact they're there every week infuriates me further. I'm fine with jobbers. That's their job. I'm fine with comedy wrestlers. But why in the world is Colt Cabana a main event player? This makes your fed look bum fuckville.

Women's division is objectively bad. The women's champion gave a pep talk to the girls like they're besties. Too friendly. I'm not saying she has too be mean but talk like a champion. Aldis is friendly but carries an attitude like a champion. This gives the belt prestige. Women's champ as of this ep (no spoilers) has almost no presence, is overly friendly. Black female wrestler wins a match and they don't even interview her immediately. That pissed me the fuck off. Then they go and interview that comedy geek Aron what's his face. WWE was right to bury him.

Good show. But the more it goes on the more flaws it exposes in its writing and booking. It comes from a place where only the World matters which makes me disinterested in the rest of the show. This is a problem WWE had for years. Not every thing is perfect and we can all improve some place. So firing Aron Smith and Colt Cabana would be a good start. Out here giving WWE esque promos. Keep it simple. Keep it short. Tell me why you're going to kick the next guys ass. Jocephus is better written than both and barely talks. The true mans jobber. Get these comedy bums off my screen and build up your belts.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 04:42:17 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10457 on: May 16, 2020, 04:33:05 PM »
Also both :lol but also :jeanluc and :goty that it appears his entire wardrobe is don't tread on me/thin blue line/crosses shit. No telling how many MAGA hats and shirts he has. I would almost guarantee he has an ALL LIVES MATTER shirt or hat somewhere. Definitely a wardrobe that matches up with his repeated donations to Ted fucking Cruz :pacspit

Austin remains the true GOAT Texan wrassler.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10458 on: May 16, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »
If you ignore the domestic abuse stuff ya probably

I forgot about that :goty

What about Shawn Michaels? He also comes with LGBT representation. I've always pegged him as bisexual. HBK makes my gaydar tick.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10459 on: May 16, 2020, 05:27:11 PM »
You will NOT talk shit about 3rd degree Mongrovian Kara-TAY black belt Aron "Shooter" Stevens, ma'am

NWA is a love letter to 70's/80's studio era southern wrasslin. I grew up on it so I love it- I also have a weakness for dumb comedy shit, so all of the Aron Stevens stuff I actually find enjoyable. Letting people go out there and run their mouths and be stupid and provoke a reaction is great, imo. Are you going to get good matches out of Aron Stevens? Largely no, but he's a funny character and EVENTUALLY someone is going to kick his ass in front of a live crowd and the pop for it will be huge.

Another thing they don't really do is put on ZOMG WORKRATE matches with the sort of dumb fucking finisher spam stro loves (fuck the Young Bucks) but hey- to each their own. Stro can watch people concuss each other and themselves for 25 solid minutes in a match that makes no fucking sense and I can enjoy Mogrovian Kara-TAY. That's why wrasslin's great, it's whatever you want it to be, baby.
yar

Himu

« Reply #10460 on: May 16, 2020, 05:29:28 PM »
I know it's not about work rate and I love that. But the match quality also needs to improve too. Hopefully they're holding the out for the PPV.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 05:34:20 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10461 on: May 16, 2020, 05:34:54 PM »
I think you're about... 1/3ish through the episodes they have available now so I don't wanna spoil anything. I'm just gonna say that of all the top champs in all the promotions right now, Aldis for my money has the most developed character and most satisfying ongoing storyline. It's kinda mind boggling why more promotions weren't interested in him, but I guess if he were in WWE at best he'd be some dumb midcarder, and other promotions probably aren't set up to utilize what he does best. He really lucked out with NWA.

Also, from being at the tv tapings in January, man is it weird to see Billy Corgan, Wrasslin Promoter live and in person. Like, I saw Smashing Pumpkins 3 times as a teenager and early 20 something, made fun of Zwan for years on message boards, and mocked him for being a dumb conspiracy theorist lunatic that is friends with Alex Jones. Yet here he is as the head promoter/exec producer of my favorite wrestling promotion in 2020. What a world.
yar

Himu

« Reply #10462 on: May 16, 2020, 05:35:28 PM »
I'd be fine if there were only one comedy wrestler but the combo of Colt and Aron just makes me shudder.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10463 on: May 16, 2020, 05:36:24 PM »
don't worry about colt, he's not sticking around :lol

You will NOT talk shit about 3rd degree Mongrovian Kara-TAY black belt Aron "Shooter" Stevens, ma'am
that's not til season 2 iirc so she's not there yet. after episode 10 and with the addition of the new announcer the feel of the show changes, but in a better way i think. they learned a lot from that first set of shows and the whole promotion gets a bit of an upgrade from it.

as far as aldis, i think this NWA run is the best he's been and could lead to him getting shine elsewhere. dude was pretty lame as magnus in TNA forever, even if he was the champion there it was whatever, but what he's doing with NWA is excellent

Himu

« Reply #10464 on: May 16, 2020, 05:59:30 PM »
:goty
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10465 on: May 16, 2020, 06:54:32 PM »
anyways more positives about NWA that it does better than other wrestling shows not named NJPW.

It may come as a surprise from my posts but I am NOT A SMARK. I love cheering for the good guys and booing the bad guys. I love going along with the show and not controlling it. I HATED how on NXT they'd have KO being a complete douche and betraying his best friend while the crowd cheered him on. When I watch wrestling I like to suspend my belief. This is partly why I dislike overly comedic wrestlers: they take me out and remind it's theater when I'm trying to immerse in the "sport" and storytelling and pagaentry. The crowds at NXT, WWE shows, and from what I've seen from AEW shows are complete and utter fgts. I hate them for ruining my personal wrestling experience and the actual storylines by constantly rooting for assholes even if the story doesn't call for it. I especially hate it when I'm at an actual event and this happens too.

So color me shocked and fucking awed by the NWA crowd cheering for faces and booing heels just like I do. People that aren't smark reddit posting fgts that similarly love being immersed in the tradition and pagaentry and let the wrestlers DO THEIR JOBS.

Moreover, I love that finally we have a federation where every match isn't face vs heel. You might get Heel vs heel or face vs face. And so there's more faces than heels, which makes the bad guys really stand out even further.
IYKYK

Tripon

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10467 on: May 16, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »
what the fuck

well that dbryan match on smackdown was a good one to go out on but goddamn that sucks :fbm

Himu

« Reply #10468 on: May 16, 2020, 11:53:57 PM »
As much guff I gave NWA for their flaws so they're slowly making up for it and the women's division greatly improves.

Less Cabana and Aron on screen too :bow

I can't stop watching this show
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10469 on: May 17, 2020, 12:33:19 AM »
lmao Cornette resigns and ep the comments now are filled with snowflake conservative bitching about how the show in danger playing chicken little, crying about how this is the end of the NWA. Sick of these snowflake bitching all over the internet about freedom, crying over the tiniest little shit, calling pandemics a hoax, saying their culture and values are under attack, thinking it's wrong that a man can make racist comments on air and not lose their job. Pathetic, and I hate them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:45:44 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10470 on: May 17, 2020, 01:00:45 AM »
so now the story is gulak's contract expired and they are still talking

We have confirmed with multiple sources today that Gulak's WWE contract expired after last night's Smackdown was taped. We are told the two sides had been discussing a new deal, but had not yet come to terms on the deal before Gulak's existing deal expired.  This shockingly places Gulak on the open market just hours after one of his best WWE performances to date as he would have no 90-day non-compete as WWE would not be paying him going forward, which means he can appear and wrestle anywhere immediately.
https://www.pwinsider.com/article/136464/shocking-departure-from-wwe.html?p=1

Himu

« Reply #10471 on: May 17, 2020, 01:03:28 AM »
Yeah he wasn't released.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10472 on: May 17, 2020, 01:04:14 AM »
yeah at this point they aren't worried about letting his contract expire cause there's nowhere he can go right now

Himu

« Reply #10473 on: May 17, 2020, 01:07:39 AM »
No one would want him?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10474 on: May 17, 2020, 01:16:14 AM »
the only other company operating right now is AEW and they aren't hiring anyone

Himu

« Reply #10475 on: May 17, 2020, 01:17:20 AM »
TNA isn't operating?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10476 on: May 17, 2020, 01:21:02 AM »
Aron Stephens definitely gets better. I'll give credit where it's due. He's growing into that classic trash heel you love to hate. Doing a good job with his growth. Maybe you're not one note after all.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10477 on: May 17, 2020, 01:29:45 AM »
TNA isn't operating?
iirc they pretaped a couple months of tv and haven't done much since

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #10478 on: May 17, 2020, 05:07:50 AM »

I’ve not listened to much :cornette lately but the nickname Marko Stunted growth :dead
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #10479 on: May 17, 2020, 05:10:17 PM »
That was the only good part of that episode, that and Scott hall claiming it was a work for a laugh
(ice)

Tripon

« Reply #10480 on: May 18, 2020, 09:04:33 PM »
Okay, I'm down for actual axe throwing for a segment on RAW tonight.

And Kairi being Asuka's hype woman.  :leon

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10481 on: May 18, 2020, 09:09:52 PM »
king corbin, mic god :jeb

Tripon

« Reply #10482 on: May 18, 2020, 10:02:15 PM »
Kevin Owens does not want to be here.  :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10483 on: May 18, 2020, 10:26:39 PM »
austin theory is a seth dude now? :leon

Tripon

« Reply #10484 on: May 18, 2020, 10:28:42 PM »
austin theory is a seth dude now? :leon

Dirt sheets: Austin Theory going to get sent back down to NXT.

*Austin Theory joins an even stronger faction that will keep him on the main roster.

bluemax

« Reply #10485 on: May 19, 2020, 01:15:16 AM »
Also both :lol but also :jeanluc and :goty that it appears his entire wardrobe is don't tread on me/thin blue line/crosses shit. No telling how many MAGA hats and shirts he has. I would almost guarantee he has an ALL LIVES MATTER shirt or hat somewhere. Definitely a wardrobe that matches up with his repeated donations to Ted fucking Cruz :pacspit

https://twitter.com/undertaker/status/1262579401880932357
NO

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10486 on: May 19, 2020, 09:10:31 AM »
:dead

El Babua

« Reply #10487 on: May 19, 2020, 10:54:51 AM »
Lmao

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10488 on: May 19, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »
Former WWE Superstar Shad Gaspard is the subject of a massive ongoing search after he went missing following a swim he and his 10-year-old son went on during the day on Sunday in Venice Beach, California.

According to multiple sources, Gaspard and his son were among a group of people caught in a strong rip-current at approximately 4pm, leading to lifeguards racing to the scene to pull everyone out.

While Gaspard's son was luckily rescued, the longtime pro wrestling star has not yet been found.

Fuck.  Reports say he told rescuers to get his son first, then he disappeared.  :'(
ど助平

Tripon

« Reply #10489 on: May 19, 2020, 02:24:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1262776216450408451

Ladshey somehow escaping from midcard hell for a month

Trent Dole

« Reply #10490 on: May 19, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »
It's just the Rusev cucking somehow continuing after his release.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10491 on: May 19, 2020, 02:59:10 PM »
Edge's expression pretty much sums up that match.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #10492 on: May 19, 2020, 04:36:20 PM »
What if the match has....backlash? :smug

Also NWA PowerrrrRRRR just keeps getting better. Into The Fire was fun and the tv tournament is hilarious.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10493 on: May 19, 2020, 05:45:01 PM »
Checked on Freight Train. He's still kicking and doing work.

Classic vid:

Him in 2019:

IYKYK

Tripon

« Reply #10494 on: May 19, 2020, 06:49:42 PM »

NWA new show, just a bunch of bedroom promos.

Himu

« Reply #10495 on: May 19, 2020, 07:35:47 PM »
I am mesmerized by Adlis. He is legitimately the best American wrestling champion (as in, wrestling in America, not actually being American) I've seen in years. I cannot believe he didn't get a fair shot in other promos. His work is A+.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10496 on: May 19, 2020, 07:56:15 PM »
How in the fuck didn't a single high profile promotion scoop Eli Drake up? Guy looks, smells, sweats, and probably shits money. What a talent.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10497 on: May 19, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »
After watching tons of Attitude Era matches recently, at this point I'm starting to think workrate might just be the most overrated thing in the business. It pales to storytelling. It can enhance a match but it shouldn't be the only only barometer what good wrestling is. And yet while the wrestlers today can put on 20-30 minute matches very few of them are good enough to make it a compelling story. Bret Hart is the GOAT because not only could he work in-ring, he could make you care very, very deeply with the feud and what's going on.

I'm not saying work doesn't matter but I don't think it matters that much. Meanwhile, I can still watch Wrestlemania III and still think it's god-tier despite the work not being up to today's standards.

:bow

I feel today's wrestling fans latch onto workrate so much is because the storytelling is so bad.

Tim Storm is the best babyface since Wrestlemania 30 Daniel Bryan. :whew NWA managed to make a compelling story around a 53 year old wrestler whose main profession is a teacher. And he's over as fuck. No small feat.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:36:28 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Trent Dole

« Reply #10498 on: May 19, 2020, 08:36:10 PM »
Are you sure you're not just psyched on having some 'new' wrestling to watch with a crowd?
Hi

Himu

« Reply #10499 on: May 19, 2020, 08:37:40 PM »
Are you sure you're not just psyched on having some 'new' wrestling to watch with a crowd?

No. The storytelling is legitimately great and I really enjoy the wrestling is no fucks given plain jane wrasslin. Doesn't mean the wrestling is bad.
IYKYK