Author Topic: Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider  (Read 30105 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »
Powerslave is on a roll here.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 06:52:05 PM »
is the level design linear or is there a mix of linearity and wide open areas ala RE4

You can explore around, there are random tombs. You can even explore after the main game and clean up on collectables, etc.

You get XP for skills by doing really anything.
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »

Meh.

The "entire industry" apparently doesn't count for what's happening in iOS/Android/PC, where people are still making games which are original and inspired. The console industry, I'll agree: the budgets are too high to take big risks, and it's a poison pill.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »
Play Antichamber, Powerslave - it is EXACTLY the game you wish for. Almost a telepathic communication of gameplay ideas from developer to player with nothing in-between
vjj

Rahxephon91

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
Pre-orded this. Hopefully this is good.

Himu

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »

Meh.

The "entire industry" apparently doesn't count for what's happening in iOS/Android/PC, where people are still making games which are original and inspired. The console industry, I'll agree: the budgets are too high to take big risks, and it's a poison pill.

Indie games on DD services like steam and xbla/psn are a better example of creativity than iOS mobile games. Most iOS games are just games that never end And utterly simple in their approach. Games like the aforementioned Anti chamber are better examples of gaming creativity than fucking Angry Birds. I like mobile games...in gulps. But to say they don't suffer from homogenization that console gaming suffers from is straight up hilarity in my view.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2013, 11:55:30 PM »
I didn't say that. But I'm not seeing how they're supposedly that creative or refreshing from console games either.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »
There are plenty of weird creative indie games on ios. They vast majority of them disappear and get swallowed up but occasionally bubble up to the surface for a small bit of praise and then generally fade away because the monetization models on that platform favor more mainstream approaches. 

But all this is kinda far afield imo. The bigger the budget of any title, on any platform, means risk taking decreases.

Regarding tomb raider,  what simply happened was that sort of strictly platforming experience fell out of the mainstream and this tomb raider is an attempt to move the franchise back into the mainstream to justify its budget.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2013, 12:00:23 AM »
oh look himuro is pretending every mobile game is temple run or angry birds again

that's always awesome, like when lager discusses the finer points of super metroid's game design
I've still got Himu on ignore from when he got pissy over a joke. Threads have been easier to read ever since.

Lager's worst crime is that he is occasionally a lazy thinker, but his enthusiasm and optimism are winning. Plus, I am occasionally a lazy thinker, so I am compelled to forgive it.

Himu

« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2013, 12:01:02 AM »
it is generally pretty hard to see things that you won't look at, i'll grant you that.

Eh. Whatever. I'm definitely on the wrong end of this argument but every time I go to The games play store I see crap after crap so it is hard for me to get out of this mindset.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »
oh look himuro is pretending every mobile game is temple run or angry birds again

that's always awesome, like when lager discusses the finer points of super metroid's game design
I've still got Himu on ignore from when he got pissy over a joke. Threads have been easier to read ever since.

Lager's worst crime is that he is occasionally a lazy thinker, but his enthusiasm and optimism are winning. Plus, I am occasionally a lazy thinker, so I am compelled to forgive it.

Fuck you.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2013, 12:08:36 AM »
Can't read, but I'm guessing Himu's still salty. It's OK though, he'll change his mind sometime during the week.

Himu

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2013, 12:13:27 AM »
:lol

You can't put me on ignore when gtav drops. YOU KNOW THIS. just biding my time then we can troll rock star together.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2013, 12:22:31 AM »

You can't put me on ignore when gtav drops. YOU KNOW THIS. just biding my time then we can troll rock star together.

Curiosity killed the chronovore, and you're right: SHIT. Okay, EMBARGO LIFTED in anticipation of god-level GTA V trolling.

Himu

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:45 AM »
Yeah exploring a cave without telling or giving the player a reason to give a shit in 2013 sure sounds fun. Not saying every game needs to have cut scene after cut scene but fuck this Puritan idyllic no cut scenes I don't care WHY IM PLAYING gamer shlock. Especially coming from someone with a goddamn metal gear solid avatar. I enjoy settings and the game giving me a reason to actually be there.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:53 AM »
would be tough to do that kind of game now simply because of all the walkthroughs everywhere...if your whole game is a complicated puzzle that everyone just waltzes straight through thanks to a youtube vid, people aren't gonna remember much from your game
vjj

Himu

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:14 AM »
I agree. But what is the artifact? How do you establish its importance? The best part of exploring and doing a chase is the build up. How do you create build up without an inkling of history or what the artifact is? You do that with a cutscene. I'm not saying the game should be nothing BUT them, but the idea that, in 2013, we should be striving to emulate games from 1996 in this regard just feels backwards. I LIKE how in Uncharted, I'm told about some awesome, rare artifact, the mystery behind it, and then going on this grand journey to find it. If applied correctly, it SHOULD make exploration and the journey through tombs that much more personal and exciting.

It's like saying Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark shouldn't spend time explaining what the fuck the arc is to those ignoramuses out there. It helps build up the tension, and when Indy finds it, all the sweeter.

If someone just wants to play a game without cutscenes, just read a book at this point. Interaction without context is almost meaningless. Why would I want to be dropped in a tomb without any explanation? That also assumes Powerslave doesn't want dialogue. Story is not the most important element of gaming, but it's still hella important.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:43:32 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2013, 12:49:46 AM »
It isn't a either or thing.

I think it's entirely dependent on the context and content given. In a game like Tomb Raider, where you're raiding caves, contextual story elements are important. But in Dark Souls you start out in a prison of the dead, and have no clue what the fuck is going on which increases the isolation and mystery of your surroundings. Not all games need to follow the same pattern or use of cutscenes and it really depends on what the game is trying to convey.

But as a rule, I mostly only like cutscenes for use as a relay of information. Telling me what the artifact is and where I am helps me adjust to new information and this can work into gameplay.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:57 AM »
I can't remember anything about any of the McGuffins I chased in any of the 3 Uncharted games i played.

I agree that Tomb Raider lost a lot of its mystery as the series went on and the mechanics became familiar. Every time you saw a block, you knew you were going to be pushing it. Every time you saw a mirror, you knew you would be focusing a beam of light on it. etc. You'd be better off trying to do a game with that spirit but a totally different setting, like an alien world or an undersea city or whatever rather than rearranging those few basic blocks ad infinitum
vjj

Himu

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2013, 12:56:11 AM »
I haven't played the original TR in years. So I don't even remember what it's like. I'm just basing it around Powerslave's post.

As for that analogy. It probably is poorly thought out on my part, I just got home an hour ago from work. I'm dead tired, so whatever.

Tetris doesn't need context. Mario doesn't really need context, but I think in the case of games like Mario Galaxy, it certainly helps. Like I said, it isn't an either or thing. I think it depends on the game. I'm mostly just lashing out against the whole anti-cutscene comment in Powerslave's post which, for his part, probably meant something else entirely but again - I'm tired as hell, and just now getting to a computer.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2013, 01:01:51 AM »
I've stopped giving a shit about either styles as long as I enjoy the game. If I'm going to play a game and it provides with all this information I'll read it and use it, if it doesn't I'll rely on instinct and explore everything I can. They are two different types of game design and I'm OK with both of them, as long as the game itself is great I won't be crying about it anytime soon.

I agree with all of this. I like both styles, but goddamn do I hate it when people hate on the cutscene style. It has its uses!
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2013, 01:03:37 AM »
Action Adventure titles in this day and age probably need a decent amount of context for a mainstream audience. It's something gamers have been trained to accept and want to a degree (especially on the hd consoles) and especially reviewers who generally knock a game for not having it. Which is of course different than saying all games need context. I think Minecraft is pretty much a perfect example that people can crave exploration and actually need very little context for it outside of gameplay mechanics and the desire to explore. Minecraft and tomb raider are different kind of games of course but you get my point.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 01:07:58 AM »
I can't remember anything about any of the McGuffins I chased in any of the 3 Uncharted games i played.

I agree that Tomb Raider lost a lot of its mystery as the series went on and the mechanics became familiar. Every time you saw a block, you knew you were going to be pushing it. Every time you saw a mirror, you knew you would be focusing a beam of light on it. etc. You'd be better off trying to do a game with that spirit but a totally different setting, like an alien world or an undersea city or whatever rather than rearranging those few basic blocks ad infinitum

Tomb Raider for me was always one of those series where I liked the thought of playing the game more than I did actually like playing the games. I wanted to be an explorer. I liked the idea of going in these tombs and getting treasure and exploring. But I didn't like doing the actual platforming. I didn't like the million ways I could die. I didn't like the combat. So in a sense, I'm probably the target audience for this reboot.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2013, 01:10:25 AM »
true story - i played Tomb Raider 2 on PC with a flight sim joystick :lol Those jumps were SO HARD

vjj

Himu

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:42 AM »
I don't think minecraft would benefit from context. but i think tomb raider does. :yeshrug Depends on the game. So long as a game doesn't act like MGS4 did, i don't hate cutscnes. they're a valuable tool.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2013, 01:54:57 AM »
fucked if i can think of a game with great cutscenes that i could sit still for a repeat viewing of tho
vjj

Himu

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2013, 03:04:43 AM »
Agree
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2013, 03:49:57 AM »

I know this isn't necessarily what you meant, but I think Crystal Dynamics understood this and that this game is more or less their answer. You could knock it for borrowing elements from popular games of the era, but they've been doing that since they christened their company with the super original Gex.
SRY

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2013, 05:27:14 AM »
fucked if i can think of a game with great cutscenes that i could sit still for a repeat viewing of tho

MGS3
nat

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »

MGS3

vjj

Himu

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2013, 09:13:59 AM »

I know this isn't necessarily what you meant, but I think Crystal Dynamics understood this and that this game is more or less their answer. You could knock it for borrowing elements from popular games of the era, but they've been doing that since they christened their company with the super original Gex.

In a perfect world, Eidos' next awesome game would be a new Gex.

I love you.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2013, 10:14:21 AM »

MGS3

ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2013, 03:07:22 PM »
Hey man MGS3 is great. I have the movie disc and everything.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2013, 07:53:21 PM »
where do we get all these comedians, the Bore is THE BEST :lol
vjj

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
Just finished the game. It's fucking mindblowingly good.

Fuck Uncharted 4. Give me Tomb Raider 2.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:18 AM »
Hopefully that's not 5 years away, like this was.

Himu

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Yeah I forgot this was announced in 2010. Damn.  :holeup
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »
It's barely been more than two years since the original announcement, not exactly an Aliens: Colonial Marines situation.
dog

Himu

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2013, 02:56:15 PM »
Considering it was scheduled for 2011 (iirc) it kinda still is pretty bad.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
2012, methinks. When it was teased in 2010 they were direct about it having ways to go, kinda like Bioshock Infinite.
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2013, 03:30:21 PM »
Goddammit you guys, making me want to play this so bad. It would be incredibly irresponsible to buy it brand new considering all the purchases I've made recently. Gotta go through me backlog first. :(
Unzip

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2013, 08:12:05 PM »
Goddammit you guys, making me want to play this so bad. It would be incredibly irresponsible to buy it brand new considering all the purchases I've made recently. Gotta go through me backlog first. :(

Fuck that, day one this bitch!
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »
Yeah, I've got the backlog, but I also bought this at full price and am having it shipped to Nippon. I can't wait!

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2013, 08:27:52 PM »
Ahaha, I had no idea this game wasn't released yet. I drove all the way to GS for nothing. What an embarrassing thing to do for someone who spends this much time on the internet/gaming boards.
Unzip

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Uncharted 4: Tomb Raider
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »
Plus, you entered a GameStop. That's pretty bad, too!

Himu

« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »
Ahaha, I had no idea this game wasn't released yet. I drove all the way to GS for nothing. What an embarrassing thing to do for someone who spends this much time on the internet/gaming boards.

Wrath is in Saudi dude. Of course he has it.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »
Yeah, that's the detail I overlooked.
Unzip

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »
I just shot a raper in the dick. :bow Gurl Powah. :bow2 I've never felt so in touch with my inner goddess.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »
Alright, America-Bore, let's light this candle.
dog

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »
I just shot a raper in the dick. :bow Gurl Powah. :bow2 I've never felt so in touch with my inner goddess.

Oh Joe. :lol
Unzip

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2013, 12:11:19 AM »
Won't get this till maybe Wednesday, o well.
fat

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:09 AM »
I'm off this week. If I don't get it asap, I doubt I will get the chance to play it anytime soon.  :fbm
Unzip

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:37 AM »
Good game is good, all haters annihilated. The PC version looks ridiculously nice, even on fairly modest settings.

TressFX made my PC weep, though. :lol
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2013, 01:22:41 AM »
I'll give it a go tomorrow.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2013, 01:36:37 AM »
Good game is good, all haters annihilated. The PC version looks ridiculously nice, even on fairly modest settings.

Yeah, friend of mine is running it with TressFX at 40.1FPS, and gets 89FPS without it turned on. WHEEEEE!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2013, 01:38:52 AM »

Yeah, friend of mine is running it with TressFX at 40.1FPS, and gets 89FPS without it turned on. WHEEEEE!

That's insane. Hair physics ain't worth that.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2013, 04:08:50 AM »
Just got back from my local gamestop. Where I was pleasantly greeted with about 20 members of the dev team from Crystal D. Got a bunch of signatures and got a lot of info on the development of the game. They were all very candid and surprised by the turnout of fans. The missus had a blast talking with them and finding out how down to earth they all were. She ended up getting another copy for 360 to get signed as well as a guide.

I'll upload some pictures later and my youtube  video of them introducing themselves.

I'm off to play it on the PC.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2013, 05:01:42 AM »
Here is the whole crew, got them all to sign game/guide/litho

And here is a video of them all introducing themselves for those interested:

I can't play steam is stuck at 98% for some damn reason with the day one patch.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2013, 05:18:44 AM »
Which GS is that? Doesn't look like the Redwood City one on El Camino Real.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2013, 05:22:27 AM »
Cherry Orchard store in Sunnyvale I had to take a double take at the facebook when the missus told me about them coming. I already had a preorder at this store too! It was a great time.