Author Topic: The Japan Thread  (Read 166824 times)

Re: The Japan Thread
« Reply #720 on: June 27, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »
Baird and devilCraft allow kids, and I think the fancy new Kiuchi/Hitachino place over near Akihabara does, too. I got lots of time for research.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #721 on: June 27, 2018, 10:58:36 PM »
Baird and devilCraft allow kids, and I think the fancy new Kiuchi/Hitachino place over near Akihabara does, too. I got lots of time for research.
I've visited the Baird Nakameguro Taproom three times now. I'm going to buy their "12 beers for the price of 10" card, because I know I'll have that particular backlog cleared in just a few more visits. :lol

Beezy

« Reply #722 on: June 28, 2018, 04:24:58 AM »
Damn that AirBNB "regulation" bullshit has made lodging in Japan way harder and more expensive to book now.
What's this about now?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Sharing-Economy/Airbnb-removes-80-of-Japan-home-share-listings
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Sharing-Economy/Airbnb-exodus-spawns-business-boom-in-Japan

As of spring, more than 62,000 properties in Japan were available on the website of the world's largest home-share operator. The number has since plummeted nearly 80% to about 13,800.

Without a specific law on the books, prospective hosts had been required to obtain either a permit under the hotel law or certification in a special economic zone, such as Tokyo's Ota Ward. But many homeowners had obtained neither, leaving them in a legal gray zone.
In early June, Airbnb stopped listing properties that lacked official permits or had not registered confirmation codes from local governments as required under the new law, and listings plunged to about 13,800 -- roughly 80% below the peak. By June 15, the count had recovered to about 27,000 as some owners received confirmation keys and re-registered. But the company is still working to purge illegal listings, it was revealed Thursday, and probably has removed several thousand more in the last week after the Japan Tourism Agency asked it to look into the matter. Many owners are believed to have quit during this period.

Plenty of cheap business hotels out there still.
:idont
That really sucks. I'm happy that I got to visit when I did.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #723 on: June 28, 2018, 04:54:17 AM »
That really sucks. I'm happy that I got to visit when I did.

You can bet the hotel political lobbying here is strong. There is no way there are enough facilities to handily deal with the 2020 Olympics crowd. This is about keeping the market cornered, not about better serving the tourist industry.

Edit: realized "hotel lobby" and "political lobby" were conflated
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:39:45 AM by chronovore »

« Reply #724 on: June 28, 2018, 10:43:38 AM »
I've visited the Baird Nakameguro Taproom three times now. I'm going to buy their "12 beers for the price of 10" card, because I know I'll have that particular backlog cleared in just a few more visits. :lol

I liked the Nakameguro taproom a lot, much brighter than the one in Harajuku.
野球

« Reply #725 on: June 28, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »
Em found a killer AirBNB house rental in Gion so we'll be in Kyoto from the 24-27th. We'll be in Tokyo from the 17th until the morning of the 24th.

Now to see if AirBNB returns to Tokyo. C'mon Yanaka.
野球

« Reply #726 on: July 02, 2018, 03:21:32 PM »
Booked an apartment over on the Nippori Station side of things, still hoping that an AirBNB over on the Yanaka side opens up, but at least we have a place just in case.
野球

« Reply #727 on: July 11, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »
Hey Chrono,

Any legal way to stream broadcast TV in Japan on phones/tablets? The place we booked for Tokyo just in case AirBNB never improves doesn't have a TV, and we enjoy watching terrible Japanese TV at night before bed.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #728 on: July 11, 2018, 12:01:59 PM »
Not that I'm aware of! Japan is incredibly backward in its tightfisted control of even its most mediocre IPs. Korea had it right 20 years ago: stream it all, and let the advertising dollars (won) decide! Japan probably would prefer to have everyone with their digital-broadcast decoder rights card and an NHK subscription for any monitor in the house with a tuner!

« Reply #729 on: July 11, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »
Not that I'm aware of! Japan is incredibly backward in its tightfisted control of even its most mediocre IPs. Korea had it right 20 years ago: stream it all, and let the advertising dollars (won) decide! Japan probably would prefer to have everyone with their digital-broadcast decoder rights card and an NHK subscription for any monitor in the house with a tuner!

Well damn. Guess we'll be illegally streaming while we're there.

So many rental places don't have TV. Not a deal breaker but so annoying.

I suggested finding a second hand shop and getting a super cheap TV for the week. Em was like "you're stupid."
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #730 on: July 11, 2018, 12:15:42 PM »
:lol

Japanese TV is SO BAD. You can just find a bar with the TV running, sit there and drink shochu and watch THEIR TV.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #731 on: July 11, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »
Why do you want to torture yourself, Gundam?  :(

Well damn. Guess we'll be illegally streaming while we're there.

So many rental places don't have TV. Not a deal breaker but so annoying.

I suggested finding a second hand shop and getting a super cheap TV for the week. Em was like "you're stupid."

Japan + "Super Cheap TV" =  ??? ??? ??? ???  :doge
:huh
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #732 on: July 11, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »

Planning on making my 1000th unique Untappd check in at Baird... it's hard because I'm at 992 right now and I need to limit what unique beers I drink for the next 2 months.
^_^

« Reply #733 on: July 11, 2018, 12:49:51 PM »

Japanese TV is SO BAD. You can just find a bar with the TV running, sit there and drink shochu and watch THEIR TV.

It's absolutely terrible, but is kinda like a train wreck at times where you just can't look away. We're guessing we'll have some early evenings when Addie crashes from the jet lag and it's gonna be damn quiet in the hotel/apartment.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #734 on: July 11, 2018, 01:48:36 PM »

It's absolutely terrible, but is kinda like a train wreck at times where you just can't look away. We're guessing we'll have some early evenings when Addie crashes from the jet lag and it's gonna be damn quiet in the hotel/apartment.

Not for me.   :P  When I lived over there it was easy enough to avoid it at home (and the NHK man when he came a-knocking), but when I'd go visit the in-laws, that shit was torture.  Especially on New Year's when the family would all gather around the TV and sit there for fucking hours and hours watching hot garbage.  I was very glad that I always remembered to bring a portable game system or two.  Now we when travel there I'm just like "oh, you guys are gonna watch TV?  OK, I'm gonna go take my laptop into the other room and disappear for a while," then I hook it up to the other TV and stream good ol' MURICAN TV/Movies.
:salute
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:54:19 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #735 on: July 11, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »
If I may continue onto another little rant-

Japanese comedy: One guy or a duo pops onto eight million variety shows and does the same one bit OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for months.  Everyone laughs, funniest thing ever and they can't do that bit enough.

American comedy: Lots of different bits and jokes, plus stand up specials.  New material all the time.  I show this to my wife and she's like  "why is this funny?" ???  :lol
ど助平

« Reply #736 on: July 11, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
If I lived in Japan I'd hate their TV, too. It's just another quirky part of the culture and being there on vacation for us.

At least our place in Kyoto has a TV so Addie can see the Sunday morning cartoons. She's really into Pretty Cure thanks to Netflix localizing a couple of the older seasons. The kid has actually asked if we can watch the new season with English subtitles even if she'll struggle to keep up with them.

edit: Bit of a sorta related tangent. We watched John Mullaney's latest Netflix special and it was weird seeing him redo his entire SNL monologue verbatim.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #737 on: July 11, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
Like this dude:

This shit was everywhere.  I'd go to school and all the kids would repeat his one catchphrase 800 times a day.  OHPAPPI HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!
 :stop

But to be fair, Naomi Watanabe, who does a Beyonce impression?  Can't get enough of that even like a decade later.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #738 on: July 11, 2018, 02:28:02 PM »

edit: Bit of a sorta related tangent. We watched John Mullaney's latest Netflix special and it was weird seeing him redo his entire SNL monologue verbatim.

Seems like some dudes just don't have enough material or love to recycle it. 

Comedy Central used to air this old Robin Williams stand-up special (maybe his first one?) from the late 70s or early 80s all the time back in the mid 90s.  Saw it so many times.  Years later I saw him live and he was still using some of the same jokes from that special.
:dead
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #739 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
Japanese-American idol singer Sally Amaki.  Heavy emphasis on the 'murica.  She's kinda funny and will do jokes/memes that her Japanese group mates completely don't understand.  :lol

She also voices "Youtube virtual idol" Sakura Fujima.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:46:37 AM by bork »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #740 on: September 11, 2018, 08:11:48 PM »
Well, only a few more days till my flight. I'm staying around the Tokyo Tower area and should be around Tues and Thurs night (and possibly Sat night after TGS) if any J-boreans want to meet up for a quick bite/drink.
^_^

Beezy

« Reply #741 on: September 11, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
Well, only a few more days till my flight. I'm staying around the Tokyo Tower area and should be around Tues and Thurs night (and possibly Sat night after TGS) if any J-boreans want to meet up for a quick bite/drink.
Go hangout with chrono and Cormac! I wish I could've hung out with both of them together when I visited.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #742 on: September 11, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »
Go hangout with chrono and Cormac! I wish I could've hung out with both of them together when I visited.

Will do, just sent Chrono a msg on FB. What type of stuff did you do when you were there? Did you fly JFK direct to Tokyo?
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #743 on: September 13, 2018, 06:41:12 PM »

I'm arguably free Tues and Saturday -- MAYBE can wrangle Thurs in a pinch.

Beezy

« Reply #744 on: September 13, 2018, 08:53:38 PM »

Will do, just sent Chrono a msg on FB. What type of stuff did you do when you were there? Did you fly JFK direct to Tokyo?
I did a whole lot, but still not enough. Most of my time in Tokyo was spent in Shibuya. I visited bars in Golden Gai many nights, went to night clubs, wandered around many arcades, played most of the games at Namco's VR Zone, ate ramen at Ichiran any chance I got, went to the batting cages, visited temples, shrines, Tokyo Skytree, Gundam Cafe, the Gundam Base Tokyo store in Odaiba, bought a lot of Gunpla (chrono's fault), went to the "Kill Bill restaurant" with Cormac, ate at Tsukiji Fish Market, shopped in Akihabara... and just ate as much as possible, walked a whole lot, sometimes with a goal/destination in mind, sometimes aimlessly, and took the train just about every where.

Japan is really safe and there's a whole lot to see.

Here's the photo album I shared with people from my trip. It has the names of some places that I visited: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a34IlkqrvfHQbP5q2

I flew Air China and had a 3-4 hour layover in Beijing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #745 on: September 13, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
I dunno if EVA Air flies from your guys' airports, but I have been very happy with their Kansai/Taipei/SFO flights, which are cheap, clean, and efficient.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #746 on: September 13, 2018, 10:37:40 PM »
Thursday I'll be meeting with some of my coworkers from our department's Japanese counterpart, but Tuesday and Saturday should work for me. My travel agent suggested Odaiba for Tuesday, if that's anywhere nearby you...
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #747 on: September 24, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
Having a blast here... finally made it to Kyoto after an overnight in Hakone. Will post details later but I'm having a blast. Delicious food and beer, a mixture of traditional Japanese culture and pure weeb stuff.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #748 on: September 24, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
Having a blast here... finally made it to Kyoto after an overnight in Hakone. Will post details later but I'm having a blast. Delicious food and beer, a mixture of traditional Japanese culture and pure weeb stuff.

The first time I went over there was one of the most positive experiences in my life.  Could not stop smiling and just enjoyed the hell out of everything.  Was funny because I went over there with a college buddy and we stayed with his brother- he started getting overwhelmingly negative about everything whereas I was just bursting with energy and eager to meet up with anyone and do anything, like for example our Japanese teacher happened to be there and he didn't want to meet up with her, whereas I was like "FUCK YEAH LET'S GO!!!"   I think he was jealous or something; it was weird.  He stopped being friendly with me after the trip.  Could never figure that out.  Looked him up years later and found him on FB- he got married to some girl and her FB banner was a wedding photo with him and her family.  Everyone was smiling and he looked miserable.  :lol  I dunno where I'm going with this but Japan is fuckin' awesome.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #749 on: October 04, 2018, 11:43:45 PM »
I’ve come to the conclusion my 6 year old is a week.

Tonight she is talking to me about gudetama re-mentos and saying rilakkuma is the cutest bear.

She also ate ramen three days in a row once.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #750 on: October 19, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »
Really enjoying Tokyo more than I thought I would.

When the food is good here, it's really, really good. Surprisingly, I've had the best burger and the best pizza of my life here in Tokyo.

On average, the food is better in Osaka. But the high points in Tokyo are amazing.

« Reply #751 on: October 22, 2018, 04:08:38 PM »
Need some tempura and katsu recommendations for Tokyo. Ramen, too, even though we already have our favorites (Afuri, Kohmen). Addie has expressed an interest in sushi, so we'll just hit some kid friendly kaizen place for that. She's also obsessed with Pretty Cure, so this should be fun.

We'll be there November 17-27. First part of the trip is Tokyo (near Nippori Station) then Kyoto for the final weekend.

Also, Em said I need to do one night out drinking with you guys.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:20:47 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #752 on: October 30, 2018, 12:23:07 PM »
Just over two weeks!! Argh we need a vacation.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #753 on: October 30, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
GUNDAM SUSHI

ど助平

« Reply #754 on: November 11, 2018, 06:06:10 PM »
SOON.

THE GUNDAM FAMILY IS DESCENDING ON JAPAN SOON.

I need a vacation.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #755 on: November 12, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »
I heard some Halloween partying was especially crazy in Tokyo yesterday.

Did you catch any of that Chrono?

Hey, sorry. Shibuya is famous for having utter madness on its streets for Halloween. Everyone gets drunk, lots of hooliganism. Bad behavior; this year a car was rolled onto its side, some jackass gaijin hopped up on it and started posing, shirtless.

Bad guest behavior in one's hosted country makes me angry as fuck, so I didn't attend because I knew I'd probably get heated.

« Reply #756 on: November 29, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
Had a wonderful 10 days in Tokyo and Kyoto. Summer is hell, Spring is really nice, but Fall is the best.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #757 on: November 29, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »
Had a wonderful 10 days in Tokyo and Kyoto. Summer is hell, Spring is really nice, but Fall is the best.
It was great to reconnect with your family! Man, what a blast!

« Reply #758 on: November 29, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »
It was great to reconnect with your family! Man, what a blast!

We had a great time with you. Monday night was a blast and Tuesday afternoon was nice and relaxing in contrast.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #759 on: November 29, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »
ど助平

« Reply #760 on: November 29, 2018, 08:46:01 PM »
We took Addie to Kawaii Monster Cafe (which she LOVED) and I think NHK World was there filming for one of their shows. If anyone happens to see it we’re more than likely prominently in the background.
野球

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #762 on: January 22, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #763 on: January 23, 2019, 05:01:59 AM »
Thread got bumped, I hoped I was going to read about a visiting borito, so I can add to my Borito Go! A Yum Brands Affliiate Game collection.

A wild Mr Gundam appears.
Chrono used beer!
It is super effective!

Beezy

« Reply #764 on: January 23, 2019, 08:58:56 PM »
I wanna come back, but it's not really the type of trip that I can do yearly. :(

I wonder if it would be a mistake to go there for the 2020 Olympics?

« Reply #765 on: January 23, 2019, 09:12:28 PM »
I wanna come back, but it's not really the type of trip that I can do yearly. :(

I wonder if it would be a mistake to go there for the 2020 Olympics?

Yes. Yes it would.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #766 on: January 23, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »
Not a good idea if it's anything like how the Olympics were in the ATL in '96.

We might go this year for an overdue visit -my wife has a niece and nephew she's never met- but if not, 2021 or post-games 2020 it is, I guess. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:10:39 AM by bork »
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #767 on: January 28, 2019, 02:26:03 AM »
I'm going to be in Tokyo early November (after the rugby world cup cause fuck that) if any of you wanna meet up hollar at me

Bebpo

« Reply #768 on: January 28, 2019, 02:38:57 AM »
I’m gonna be in Japan when the leaves turn red this year. Was planning on going during hanami with friends but couldn’t convince any of my friends to go so if I’m going solo I want a new experience and I’ve never been to Kyoto during the red fall foliage so that’s when I’ll go this year and take lots of photos.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #769 on: January 28, 2019, 02:41:52 AM »
September/October? There's going to be a rugby world cup so there will be south africans and australians everywhere .. and ... poms. Come with me in november :heart I'm going to Kyoto also

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #770 on: January 28, 2019, 06:14:43 AM »
I'm going to be in Tokyo early November (after the rugby world cup cause fuck that) if any of you wanna meet up hollar at me
:respect
PM sent.

« Reply #771 on: January 28, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »
I’m gonna be in Japan when the leaves turn red this year. Was planning on going during hanami with friends but couldn’t convince any of my friends to go so if I’m going solo I want a new experience and I’ve never been to Kyoto during the red fall foliage so that’s when I’ll go this year and take lots of photos.

Kyoto was gorgeous this past November. With that said book your accommodations immediately. That city was so ridiculously crowded, everything was sold out.
野球

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #772 on: March 15, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
I had a lot of fun with the ERA thread about Pierre Taki admitting to cocaine use but in all seriousness I had no idea that standard procedure for entertainment stars was to literally scrub all of their oeuvre from existence if it became public they did drugs.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:48:51 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

« Reply #773 on: March 15, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »
I had a lot of fun with the ERA thread about Pierre Taki admitting to cocaine use but in all seriousness I had no idea that standard procedure for entertainment stars was to literally scrub all of their oeuvre from existence if it became public they did drugs.

I love visiting Japan but there is a lot of stuff I seriously take issue with over there.

The Abe government's attempts at silencing the domestic press and xenophobia toward non-whites and non-Japanese Asians sure are great.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #774 on: March 15, 2019, 03:54:20 PM »

I love visiting Japan but there is a lot of stuff I seriously take issue with over there.

The Abe government's attempts at silencing the domestic press and xenophobia toward non-whites and non-Japanese Asians sure are great.

And stuff like how they don't believe ADHD exists and have terrible archaic views on mental health issues and treatment of them, the war crime deniers, the horrible treatment of the native Ainu population, etc... I love a lot about Japan. Beautiful place with wonderful people, fantastic transportation, great food and lots of great artists/creators over there. But there's a lot of fucked up shit wrong with the country too.

I feel like if the average person in Japan in their 20s/30s actually were politically motivated it'd fix a lot, but the general feeling I've always gotten is that everyone under 50 is pretty apathetic towards politics in the country.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #775 on: March 15, 2019, 07:44:09 PM »

G The Resurrected

« Reply #776 on: April 21, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »

I'm gonna be bringing the missus to Japan finally after years of thinking about it and not being able to make it happen for one reason or another. Gonna be going to Nagoya/Suzuka for Formula 1 in October. Then going to Osaka for a few days and a Kyoto day trip before heading to Tokyo for a week. Planning on going to Universal Japan and both Disney Parks while were there. So you locals or previous travelers let me know what's good and what to avoid.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #777 on: April 21, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »
Wow, that'll be great! Depending on if I'm in Kansai or Kanto, it'd be great to meet for a beer or a meal.

Kyoto is gorgeous and elegant and slow paced. Osaka is outgoing, sometimes abrasive, and tasty food. Tokyo is an international city with just about everything except enough space to think.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #778 on: April 22, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #779 on: April 30, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »
Can you reserve tickets at a Loppi machine in Tokyo for a restaurant in Osaka? How does that whole system work?

I want to eat at a character cafe at least one of my days there, but it seems their system relies on Lawson loppi machines.

Zero idea. You'd have to be more specific before I can even check.