Author Topic: Xbox One Kills Used Games  (Read 17608 times)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Re: Xbox One Kills Used Games
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
Indie developer Sho NUff on Xbox One's rival:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK . . . U . . .

@Microsoft

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
What are you guys talking about, this is an exciting and disruptive initiative

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »
I was getting worried there.

Good to have a positive thought from an indie dev.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »
EG
Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

Sony :bow2
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:26:11 PM by maxy »
cat

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
GameStop should seriously just sell X1 hardware and peripherals, no software.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »
GameStop should seriously just sell X1 hardware and peripherals, no software.

Selling hardware with no games? GameStop already does this with the Wii U.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2013, 01:47:37 PM »
But they make like......no money on the hardware

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
What if gamestop doesnt sell the xbox 1?

Who will this hurt more, gs or ms?

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
Gamestop ain't stupid, guys.  In the US, the xbone will probably still be a pretty good selling system.  Up until now, GS has been getting to eat the entire used game pie.  MS has now figured out a way to get a slice of that pie.  Do you really think GS is going to give up the rest of that pie because they have a party guest they didn't invite?

Seriously, sometimes I go back and forth over whether or not having executives sucks or not, but then you guys go and post dumb shit like this and I almost become a Republican.  Thank god for executives, you ignorant queefs.
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
But they make like......no money on the hardware

Then, with this new 10% scheme, we can think as these "game coasters" as just another piece of game-enabling hardware.

This whole thing is reminding me of the old DVR business model, for some reason. I guess because it generates coasters no-one wants.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
If GameStop can sell a used Xbox game and make $6 or a used PS4 game and make $27, you better believe the two systems aren't getting equal signage out front
乱学者

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »
Or shelfspace, therein.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »
cat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2013, 05:43:14 AM »
What if gamestop doesnt sell the xbox 1?

Who will this hurt more, gs or ms?
Gamestop absolutely has to do their best to sabotage xbone, they have no other choice here.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
Jesus H Fucking Fucksticks... it's almost like you guys are trying to see who can out-distinguished mentally-challenged fellow each other just to annoy me.

Digital distribution IS the future distribution method for console games.  It's gonna happen.  GS aren't completely unaware of this, so while they may not be HAPPY about what's going down, anything that guarantees them a continued slice of the pie is ok in their book.  Will they push the PS4 over the xboner? Probably.  Does this mean that the xboner section gets moved to the supply closet?  Come the fuck on, morans.
yar

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2013, 06:12:38 AM »
Change is hard.

cat

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2013, 07:53:36 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/24/gamestop-stock-closes-week-down-19/

Pressure is growing.

I hate this shit, people throwing around stock numbers like they mean anything.  You know that Apple stock usually drops after they make product announcements too!  Oh, and don't forget all the nerds laughing when Capcom stock went down when they announced MH on the 3DS, I'm sure they're still laughing now.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
No, you're not wrong.  10% isn't viable for most locations... for some of the older stores with better lease situations, that's probably doable but by and large it's not.

I'm pretty sure that the Xbone will get secondary preference in store layout and shelf space too, unless by some miracle it just massively outsells the PS4, which given everything we know now I doubt.  It's been about 10 years since I managed a GS, and I don't know if they're still around, but the guys who ran the ship back then would probably have contingency plans at this point... however, they're probably smart enough to have seen the writing on the wall and dipped out to enjoy retirement, so no clue what the B team likely running things at this point will do.

My whole point is that even the B team is not as dumb as forum goers; when faced with a new reality where they can have one slice of pie instead of the whole pie that they'd been eating, they will eat that one slice and try to find new revenue streams to make up for the loss, instead of throwing a tantrum and putting all of the xbone stuff in the supply closet.
yar

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2013, 09:10:20 AM »
yeah, there'll likely be a little dance MS does with retail stores, like maybe offering a slightly large % on things like accessories or something. I expect they'll have to make some type of conciliatory gesture or deal, because they still 100% depend on these places to sell their hardware and accessories. Can't digitize that, and Gamestop isn't the only retailer they have to worry about.  Best Buy is getting into used games now in a big way, and as we've all seen in the past Best Buy has no problem dropping or marginalizing products on their store shelves. They'll carry it for customer convenience, but they'll stick it on the shelf below the Wii U and Vita.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:14:19 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
Jesus H Fucking Fucksticks... it's almost like you guys are trying to see who can out-distinguished mentally-challenged fellow each other just to annoy me.

Digital distribution IS the future distribution method for console games.  It's gonna happen.  GS aren't completely unaware of this, so while they may not be HAPPY about what's going down, anything that guarantees them a continued slice of the pie is ok in their book.  Will they push the PS4 over the xboner? Probably.  Does this mean that the xboner section gets moved to the supply closet?  Come the fuck on, morans.

You've managed some stores before.  Do you think GameStop has a viable business with a 10% margin on used?

I mean, I agree with you, this is all going to go digital.  10% or nothing, I don't see GS surviving that shift.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, seeing how the stock went over a cliff this week.  I don't think they'll flat out not carry the XB1, but I fully expect them to bury it to the greatest extent, because I'm pretty sure the guys in charge realize that the sooner this takes, the sooner they're all searching for new jobs.

I could be wrong, though.  I'm certainly due at this point.

Its hilarious you even managed to salvage the "always online" part of it   :lol :lol

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2013, 09:09:26 AM »
Originally Posted by Mark Cerny:
Q: Is the PS4 console is designed to be connected in a 'permanent' way? What I'm asking is it will need to be connected all the time? And if so, how will this affect plans for PSN?

A: PlayStation 4 is not a permanent connection system in that sense, but the experience is much richer if you are connected. You will have access to digital content and the updates for your games, along with a wide range of social functions: upload videos and screenshots, see your friends play and interact with them in various ways within the games.

Originally Posted by Michael Denny:
So I think two of the other pillars we talked about in-terms of design were simplicity and immediacy. Even taking back a step from here, PlayStation 4 can still be enjoyed old school without an Internet connection at all. So it depends what level you want to use these feature sets at. So with ’simple’ and ’immediacy’ we want it so that everything is one button click away, for example. And ’immediacy’ takes down these barriers that can be frustrating to gamers between the player getting access to the content.

Originally Posted by Kotaku:
More relief... At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.

Xbone boned

:ufup MCD
cat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »
I'm always online anyway.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »
none of that is reassuring.  I need to see the actual policies at this point.

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »
I'm always online anyway.

NOT COOL!
cat