Author Topic: Keiji Inafune needs CAPCOM!  (Read 38456 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Keiji Inafune needs CAPCOM!
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:59 PM »
To give him money to make a Mega Man game that totally ISN'T Mega Man, but, I mean, just look at it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

:manny
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:56:48 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: Keiji Inafune needs YOU!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
LOL at console ports being at 2.5mil.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »
Will definitely get funded. Especially once the media gets ahold of it.

Good for him I guess.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:01:45 PM »
mighty

<----

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »
There are probably enough crazed megaman fans that aren't dirtpoors so good on inafune-sensei for getting that gwap

please excuse me while I don't bother with this until a sub-$5 steam sale

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Oh, now that he needs my money, he's all about Mega Man? Ha.

Console stretch goals are WAY too high for no good reason. Ports are easypeasy.
乱学者

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
Will get for $2.49 on the 2015 Steam Summer Sale
🍆🍆

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
I imagine this may jumpstart more Japanese hopping on the Kick wagon. Plus that other project with Nobuo, I think it was
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 09:39:28 PM »
I imagine this may jumpstart more Japanese hopping on the Kick wagon. Plus that other project with Nobuo, I think it was

Project Phoenix, which currently has about $670k. And I agree, projects like these are proving to Japanese teams that crowdfunding is viable for them. This is definitely just the beginning.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
LOL at console ports being at 2.5mil.

Linux version is only 1.35 mil. :rejoice

Kicked in $20, I've spent more on assuredly worse platformers (knock on wood.) I think this will do pretty well, although I'd be surprised if it hit 2 mil.

Wish I had enough money for dinney with Inafune-san. :uguu

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
I like the art style but I don't like Keiji Inafune or Megaman. I'm conflicted.  :'(

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »
Looking for an excuse to visit Japan? How about dinner and some great conversation with a fascinating guy who just happens to be one of the world’s most famous game designers? Inafune himself would like to thank you for your incredibly generous donation, as well as talk about Mighty No. 9, games in general, or whatever else might come up as you and he (and a provided interpreter) share dinner and drinks. You’ll need to cover airfare and hotel yourself, but a nice, traditional-style Japanese dinner is on Inafune.

Have to pay for plane and hotel yourself? :holeup
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:46:18 PM by Andrex »

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:45:43 PM »
Also, I'm usually not the one to be down on various Kickstarters, but this has all the makings of a project that will come out late and be less than was promised, lol. Spring 2015 date is way out there and I'm unsure at Inafune's ability to manage projects.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
And what makes you feel that way?
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »
Looking for an excuse to visit Japan? How about dinner and some great conversation with a fascinating guy who just happens to be one of the world’s most famous game designers? Inafune himself would like to thank you for your incredibly generous donation, as well as talk about Mighty No. 9, games in general, or whatever else might come up as you and he (and a provided interpreter) share dinner and drinks. You’ll need to cover airfare and hotel yourself, but a nice, traditional-style Japanese dinner is on Inafune.

Par for the course for these things.
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »
Inafune's able to manage products, he did release a shit ton of Megaman titles under Capcom. His issue was getting games he wanted to make under Capcom in the last few years made. I think that's mostly due to him being promoted and (wrongly) pushing the outsource that didn't gain traction. Neither did some of the titles he helped green light.

At least that's if my history of him is right. I'm sure Oscar will be in and tell me I'm wrong with him being in Japan so more knowledgeable on that side of the ocean.

Edit: Relooking at the Kickstarter page: "Nick" Yu Yu seems to be the one that will be "managing the team" in regards to making sure Inafune stays on task and doesn't get "WHERE THE FUCK IS MY GAME YOU BITCHES"-internet rage at. So, I guess I can see where Andrex is coming from...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:58:36 PM by thisismyusername »

Tasty

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »

I dunno, MML3 put a bad taste in my mouth, maybe he'll be better when he doesn't have to convince the pencil pushers.

Tasty

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »

Par for the course for these things.

"Traditional Japanese dinner" also brings to mind like, eating takeout at Inafune's apartment or something. :lol But I know that's not it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 10:39:57 PM »

I dunno, MML3 put a bad taste in my mouth, maybe he'll be better when he doesn't have to convince the pencil pushers.

Inafune didn't have a whole lot to do with MML3 and was already halfway out the door at Capcom before it was even announced.
dog

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 10:43:25 PM »
and I thought this thread was going to be about Sweet Fuse.
I like how Inafune is practically daring Capcom to a C&D, its totally the Self-Pleasuring Panda to Megaman's Masturbating Bear.

and I really wouldn't worry about team management dudes.  Comcept already has multiple games under their belt, mostly collaborations, like Soul Sacrifice and that easy to forget non-Team Ninja sequel to Ninja Gaiden that's coming out.  And a few smaller games they did all themselves for mobile/3DS.  Considering the speed of their output and their relatively recent founding, I'd say whatever he rakes in here that Inafune is good for it.

Tasty

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 10:48:26 PM »
I guess I just see the Spring 2015 timeframe and I'm like "uh?" It's a 2D platformer with 8 levels/bosses (well, give or take the boss/final level.) And it's a formula Inafune's ostensibly done 35 times before.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 10:54:26 PM »
18 months isn't exactly an eternity.

And it's being made by a small company that's also working on other projects.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »
True.

Himu

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 11:15:49 PM »
oh my GOD
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 11:35:54 PM »
If he gets the excess money for the console ports, he will be able to make something new with it.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »
Interesting.

One thing that always struck me as off is why Japanese devs barely released shit on XBLA/PSN. If Kickstarter can bring them back then consider this man funding all Dem Japanese kickstarters.

No mobile though.

mjemirzian

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 03:24:23 AM »
I backed it, should be a fun and well designed platformer if nothing else.

I appreciate the indie scene keeping some of my favorite genres alive (platformers, shmups, turn based strategy, etc.)

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 04:10:38 AM »
Backed.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 06:30:45 AM »
Comcept is Keiji Inafune and an office.  But he's pulled Inti-Creates in on this one, so I have total faith that it will be delivered as promised, on-time.  They did the entire Zero series, the ZX games, and MM9/10.

But man, this guy.  I support his project but after all his mouthing off about Japanese developers being stagnant and relying too much on nostalgia, and then he does this?  Fucking shameless.

i like how in the video he's all like "i've disappointed the fans when that game got cancelled!" (sadface)

then why you don't make another megaman legendy 3D adventurish game instead you fucking twat! or why we are trying to guilt trip megaman fans?

(not that i would have give a fuck in that case... just saying it's kinda silly)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:32:29 AM by magus »
<----

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 06:56:48 AM »
This is just a shot in the dark but it's probably a lot cheaper for them to produce impressive assets for a 2D game. I'm not sure it'd be so easy to do 3D with the current size of Comcept and crowd-sourced capital.

Anyways, this news very quickly made me hot all over, being the Mega-Man-idiot-fan that I am. The design for Beck (the main character) looks way better than Rock has ever looked and if it ends up being even half as good as Mega Man 9, I will probably love it. But I'm just gonna echo what's been said already and say FUCK Inafune. You can't sit on your high-horse and grab the low-hanging fruit at the same time. Not without looking like an asshole.
SRY

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »
Plus this looks way better than megaman fucking legends.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
Seriously Diunx. Am I the only one who has to spell out that every single piece of footage for MML3 looked like it was from a goddamn psx game in terms of game play mechanics like the way you lock on? It is like the games didn't evolve a tad beyond MML2 and that is without mentioning the graphics. MML3 looked like hot dookie, which is unfortunate because it is one of main reasons I initially wanted a 3ds. I can't imagine what it'd be like BUYING a 3ds and the game being cancelled after the fact.

I think there are far better ways to do MM in 3d beyond what the legends series did so I'm not sure why they didn't employ those manner of play rather than sticking to one that was created at the birth of the 3d revolution.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:24:45 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »
The game is already half funded, I wouldn't be surprised if it hits the target today or tomorrow.

Yeah, that was kind of funny.  "Years ago, I was finally able to put one of my dreams in motion, but it got canceled, here's the same old shit we did 50 times before, lol"

Many kickstarter or indie titles are just massages of the nostalgia prostate anyway so...
🍆🍆

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »
i dont care how shitty mml3 looked, i still wish i coulda played it :fbm

but this kickstarter stills gonna be great, what with the top-notch talent behind it. mcuh as i wanted mml3 it DID look dated while this game looks like top-shelf quality.
pcp

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2013, 01:18:36 PM »
I can already see the future:

ex Namco kickstart tales of ripoff, ex square ff, ex enix dragon quest, ex konami suikoden

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »
I can already see the future:
ex square ff, ex enix dragon quest

:jawalrus
<----

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »
That's no kickstarter though.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
That's no kickstarter though.

Give them time.
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
Himu dropping truth bombs up in here. I doubt 3DS is that far from PSX power wise so MML3 looking the way it did shouldn't be that surprising.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
ex konami suikoden

:noah

Can you IMAGINE Murayama hooking up with Miki Hagashino, Fumi Ishikawa, Keiko Fukami, and Junko Kawano and other ex Suikoden staff to pitch a Suikoden like rpg via Kickstarter? :noah
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:59:48 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »
Himu dropping truth bombs up in here. I doubt 3DS is that far from PSX power wise so MML3 looking the way it did shouldn't be that surprising.

Hey fans, why don't you finish our game for us by choosing what design you want this character to be. Oh, you went with the most generic option? Cool!

Hey fans, this game is a sorta pseudo prequel that doesn't star Mega Man! Please be excited.

Hey fans, here's an 11 minute video of alpha footage of a game that looks like total dog shit with mechanics dating from 1997!

Laughs were heard from my mouth the day MML3 was cancelled.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:54:54 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
i hope chinese ripoff suikoden happen just to see himu rant :jawalrus
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
ex konami suikoden

Can you IMAGINE Murayama hooking up with Miki Hagashino, Fumi Ishikawa, Keiko Fukami, and Junko Kawano and other ex Suikoden staff to pitch a Suikoden like rpg via Kickstarter? :noah

It's not Suikoden or even Japanese, but you might be interested in this Kickstarter game:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codagames/liege?ref=live
dog

Himu

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »
i hope chinese ripoff suikoden happen just to see himu rant :jawalrus

:what

From a Kickstarter? :what Do you like, think before posting these terrible jokes/trolls? Why in the fuck would anyone catch emotions from a rip off on Kickstarter? It's not official. Who gives a shit. :what
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:12:21 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »
:lol

Himu

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »
ex konami suikoden

It's not Suikoden or even Japanese, but you might be interested in this Kickstarter game:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codagames/liege?ref=live

This looks pretty cool. I see a lot of Suikoden-isms in this, especially visually. This shows through the most in the town shots. Suikoden's power. :shaq For a niche rpg that sold 300-400k tops worldwide at its height, that's pretty good. :obama
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

Himu

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
As much as I like this project, I really hope they change the name. Am I missing something with it? :larry
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 01:10:56 AM »
There are 8 other robots that you fight against, making the main character the 9th. And apparently, "Might Kid" was one of the early names considered for Mega Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborg_009

and the "Mighty" is probably from Mighty Atom, aka Astro Boy.

Could be some of this, too.
dog

Himu

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »
Okay, the ties make sense now. I never heard Astro Boy's Japanese name and I've never read Cyborg 009. I should get on that.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 02:12:48 AM »
Cyborg 009 anime. :lawd

Barely remember much of it though...

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 02:19:08 AM »
There's a new Cyborg 009 movie out, made by the guy that did the Ghost in the Shell series.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
PC version already funded.  I believe kickstarters tend to be front loaded, but it'll likely hit the $2.5mil console goal, or rake in tons of pledges from people hoping it will.

Himu

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »

:yuck
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
the gaf thread is like youtube comments bad X 1000 "OMG I BET CAPCOM NOW FEELS BAD" yes because apparently capcom is a person out there to hate you and not a company who made a somewhat controversial but sensible choice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
also something tells me that if capcom put out megaman 11 nobody would give a fuck but when it comes to do it like this everybody is willing to put more money than needed in the first palce
[close]
<----

Himu

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
I know that feeling.

I have someone on my facebook, who does not give a single fuck about mega man, I don't think even played 9 or 10, or ZX, or anything, and he posts this:

And I'm all "if this were MM11, or a new MMX, or a new MMZ, would any of these people give nearly as a shit as they do now?"
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
you know what else makes me scratch my head? there are (let me count them) 25 megaman sidescrollers (27 if you want to count the remake on psp,i guess around 23 if you don't want to count the last megaman x game for being 3D) why do we need another one so desperately much? that is why i find it hard to give a fuck about this even if i like megaman

<----

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2013, 07:11:03 PM »

you know what else makes me scratch my head? there are (let me count them) 25 megaman sidescrollers (27 if you want to count the remake on psp,i guess around 23 if you don't want to count the last megaman x game for being 3D) why do we need another one so desperately much? that is why i find it hard to give a fuck about this even if i like megaman

This is an idiotic argument.  There are hundreds of JRPGs out there, why do you want more?

jrpg aren't oversatured the same way and if everybody stopped making jrpg altogether i wouldn't whine half as much as megaman fans because i've already played plenty and i don't read sonic x megaman fanfic comics :heh
(really i can't believe that's a thing that exist :larry)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:13:06 PM by magus »
<----

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »
They aren't? Lol.
fat