Author Topic: Path of Exile |Loot 3.0|  (Read 22773 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Path of Exile |Loot 3.0|
« on: October 24, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »

The game was officially released yesterday, and is now on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/

Patch notes: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545523

Helpful Info for New Players: http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/1p1oou/can_we_please_put_together_a_list_of_the_latest/

GAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698299

Two new leagues have been added (Nemesis for hardcore players, Domination for softcore), Capture The Flag and solo tournaments have been added to PVP play. Guilds and many other things have been added too.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum
http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/

Steam Account Info:

Phoenix Dark:
Steam ID: phoenixdark0
Characters: http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Goinio/characters

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:22:02 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Phoenix Dark

Re: Path of Exile |Loot 3.0|
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »
My Steam: phoenixdark0

I'm on the Nemesis league, which is hardcore (if you die, you're moved to Domination). Explanation of the leagues:

Four month challenge leagues are a great opportunity for a fresh start. All your old characters and items are still present in the Standard and Hardcore leagues, but you're encouraged to join the new economies, complete challenges and climb the ladder!
The new challenge leagues include a set of eight new challenges! If you complete all of them, you'll receive an exclusive Domination/Nemesis challenge shirt. 61 players completed all the challenges in the last pair of four-month leagues.

Domination: A variety of powerful Shrines now spawn throughout Wraeclast, surrounded by large groups of monsters that are influenced by their power. These monsters receive substantial bonuses or are protected by their shrine's effects in some way. If you are able to tag the shrine, you receive these powers for a short time. It's often very risky to run in and try to claim the shrine, but it is a gamble that can pay off. One of the new challenges is to tag each of the shrine types.

Nemesis: Nemesis is a Hardcore league (characters who die are coverted to Standard characters). Rare monsters have one guaranteed mod from the Nemesis Pool, which makes the fight substantially harder. One of the challenges is to kill a rare with each of the Nemesis mods.

My current Nemesis character is lv23 in Act II. Name: Jeremiann. I'll create a new character to play with you guys obviously.

Right now I'm playing a Templar wand/shield build. Freezing Pulse, Ice Nova, and Fire Traps. I'm going for heavy elemental damage and as much health I can find on the tree. My AOE damage is very good, and I now have enough life to survive most shit. The thing that's holding me back thus far is my weapon: awesome wands seem harder to find than other weapons.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »
Domination is fun. I really hope that stays as a "standard" and the ladder just dumps you into a non-ladder version of that. Having to rush through mobs to the shrine to kick their ass doesn't get old.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:58:13 PM »
How about this? Act 3, Solaris Temple.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »
One of the shrines had Esch and me stumped for almost ten minutes due to a necromancer being cleverly hidden within a pile of mobs  :deadpos

I had to throw my Bow Marauder in the bushes and whip out the easy mode Ground Slam build.

the other notworthy moment:

Me: ok man, we're about to fight Brutus. This is gonna be tough, if you get low run the fuck away  :leon

Esch: Just show me who to fuck (no homo)  :win

*destroys Brutus without a single close call*

Esch: that was supposed to be tough huh :hitler

me: :leon

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 12:25:26 AM »
Looks interesting but what are you expected to buy with real money?

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 12:58:44 AM »
The only thing that has any actual in game impact at all that you can spend money on is storage space, which if you're going to play the game seriously, I would encourage you to buy some. 

Everything else is just cosmetic bullshit with no real play impact.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
Yea. I've bought storage, and I might even buy some cosmetic shit just to support the developers. The game isn't perfect and there are areas that need to be addressed (like the ugly UI) but it's quite an impressive product for an indie developer.

I would literally spend hours just thinking about the passive tree back during the beta. It's quite an addictive game, especially once you move past the early levels.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:16:41 AM »
The Halloween cosmetics are pretty cool. The decapitated head especially.
https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/category/new-items#

Also, might as well crosslink this here:
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=39519.msg1774960#msg1774960
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:34:07 AM by Rufus »

Bebpo

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 04:52:44 AM »
I normally don't touch f2p games because they tend to indicate mmo-like experiences or pay-2-win or just shitty games; all of which I'm not a fan of.

But this is getting good word of mouth and it looks like Diablo and I like Diablo and and and I downloaded it  :'(  Will try it out.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
I played the first couple quests last night. Not bad.  :obama

Already started to one hit these beginning enemies. Early weapons aren't great, but they allow you to continually upgrade what you have which is pretty cool. I was able to get this within the first half hour of playing

I'll put more time in this weekend for sure.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
Armor gets better looking as you level and get better shit.
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »
Yeah, the models aren't that pretty. Neither are many of the animations.

They've come a really long way though.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »
I've got a bunch of school shit to do this weekend, might be able to play Sunday or Monday, sorry  :-\
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »
I'm at work breh.

I like how the art really highlights that you're an exile who washed up on shore nearly butt naked. You get some mixed up ugly bum gear, then  slowly go from flabbynsick to a badass motherfucker. A lot of the armor in later levels is pretty nice.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 11:56:28 PM »
I chose sleep instead of games,  but I prefer to play solo anyway. :yeshrug

I'm at work breh.

I like how the art really highlights that you're an exile who washed up on shore nearly butt naked. You get some mixed up ugly bum gear, then  slowly go from flabbynsick to a badass motherfucker. A lot of the armor in later levels is pretty nice.
Yeah, driftwood clubs, broken and rusted swords, whalebone rapiers, splintered shields, etc. The old plate vest used to re-inforce this as well, as it looked like two slabs of metal barely beaten into something that fits a human being. The new design has sculpted abs and looks much fancier now. Don't really understand what the point of that was.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 12:57:01 AM »
post your character names n shit brehs, so we can add each other. All my info is in the OP

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 01:39:31 AM »
Steam-ID: rufuswantsacookie
Current PoE character: Spectrion (I know, very imaginative)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 04:46:59 AM »
Got my wand n shield Templar into Act III in the Nemesis hardcore league. I was somewhat scared to face Vaal but my resists are super high. My build is based around Freezing Pulse (w/less multiple projectiles), Ice Nova, and Fire Traps; I also have Molten Shell and will be getting Clarity soon, for mana. I can't believe how OP Fire Traps are lol, makes aoe a breeze. Leveling is pretty fast due to how easy I can destroy shit.

I have some office shit to do tomorrow but I'll be on around 6 or 7pm

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 05:20:11 AM »
Yeah, this is even after the slight nerf of either the initial hit or the burn, I forget which. If you get a Searing Touch you can take a character to endgame maps with Firetrap alone.

--

I think they nerfed the bosses a bit. Vaal's laser used to be a guaranteed shock stack even on normal, but he only tagged me once on my Scion and that was only a two second stack. I'll do him in cruel soon, curious to see how much harder he will hit.

The Dominus fight makes up for it though.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
i played for about 30 minutes. killed some stuff and then got disconnected.
nat

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »
Nice, the game has been hovering around Steam's top 10 most played since launch, with around 30k players right now. The developers have said there are about 20k people playing who don't use Steam, meaning there's about 50k people playing this weekend so far. Pretty impressive.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 08:47:10 PM »
this is pretty fun.

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 07:49:54 PM »
Created a Scion and it's pretty badass, and I can tell it'll be insane once I find a faster weapon. Spectral Throw...

(looks like it that has Greater Multiple Projectiles support gem, but mine is pretty damn amazing even at lv9)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »
Is everyone playing on Steam? If I'm too lazy to DL the whole fucking game on steam again, can I play with you figgurts if I just use the regular client?
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
Yea it was super fast. I was planning on getting a bunch of shit done outside while the client downloaded...but it was done in barely 30 minutes

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »
I'm assuming it's easy to access your regular PoE client info if you've been playing the closed/open betas?
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:46 PM »
I think so; I simply deleted my original PoE client and re-downloaded through Steam.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 11:32:57 PM »
Figured I'd post some basic info/tips to help new players who haven't gone through the Reddit threads linked in the OP. The game really throws you into the water without a life vest...

Ranged attacks:  Hold down the shift button in order to stand in place while attacking

Currency: Here's the basic exchange rate values http://exilestats.com/ex/

Using stuff like Scrolls of Wisdom and Portal Scrolls is perfectly fine: a lot drop and they're very useful. Then there's stuff like the Orbs of Transmutation, Orbs of Chance, and Chromatic Orbs. You can use those to make gear better without worry; I'd advise to keep them (and the shards) in your stash box, to free up your inventory. The only currency I keep in my inventory are Scrolls of Wisdom and Portal Scrolls.

However you'll want to avoid using more valuable stuff like Chaos Orbs or Orbs of Alchemy. Use them to trade for items. People often trade the best skill gems for a Chaos Orb or two, so you never want to waste your valuable orbs.

Quick tutorial on how to reset instances, for farming

Passive Tree: There are literally hundreds of different builds to try but one of the uniting principles of PoE is that health is very important. Especially if you're rolling a hardcore character. You'll want to get as many Life % nodes as you can. Strength gives you life so don't worry about getting some. Finally, armor helps especially for melee.

Elemental resistance: If you don't have enough you'll die. A lot of gear has resistance stats but you'll also want to get some on the passive tree.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 03:25:54 AM »
Created a Scion and it's pretty badass, and I can tell it'll be insane once I find a faster weapon. Spectral Throw...
(Image removed from quote.)
(looks like it that has Greater Multiple Projectiles support gem, but mine is pretty damn amazing even at lv9)
That one is GMP + LMP. LMP is more than enough. ST is really fun, enjoying it a lot.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 03:51:55 AM »
Got my LMP gem
:rejoice

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 04:12:01 AM »
I'm running ST+LMP+Added Fire+Blood Magic right now so that I can run Hatred. I should mule Anger next and run that too...

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 09:37:19 PM »
Ok, bitches.  I'ma play some tonight, finally.  Is everybody just in vanilla softcore, or are y'all bitches in a league?
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »
You should make a character in the new Dominion league; it's the new softcore league and a lot more interesting than the standard league.

I also have a couple characters on Nemesis (hardcore). I deleted my older characters except for my lv52 in the standard league (Goinio).

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 11:54:09 PM »
Looks like I'm not gonna be able to fuck with it until tomorrow afternoon after all... shit to do, etc.  I'll roll up some sort of spectral throw havin' character tomorrow to fuck around with, then plan to catass some tomorrow night.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 03:16:01 AM »
My lv22 Scion is already a lot more powerful than my lv36 wand Templar. Right now I'm going with Double Strike (w/Added Fire Damage plus Multistrike), Spectral Throw (w/Limited Multiple Projectiles), Leap Slam, and Bear Trap. Not a big fan of Bear Traps so far, but maybe its due to the low level of the gem. Fire Traps seem way better.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »
Fire traps n spectral throw  :noah
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »
It's been a while since I've played- they've added some nice aesthetic touches, like when you kill a living enemy their soul gets sucked up and shit, and also LORE if you're into that sort of thing (you shouldn't be, but whatever, some people like to pretend stories matter)
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
The ancient carvings or whatever that you can click on and it will spout off some part of the story are new- not sure when they were added but didn't used to be in the game.  I liked it better that way, but at least it's completely optional and not forced on me.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
Lore stones are new. I wish they would play without you having to stand there listening. Every time I see a lore stone some mobs attack me. GGG has said they're working on making it play even once you move away, like the lore scrolls in D3.

I get home late tonight :fbm

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 04:21:38 PM »
Made it to Merciless Act 2 on my Scion. Currently stuck in Fellshrine because I I'm not stepping into Sins with 10% lightning resist. :holeup

My build is mostly complete though. Two points away from Iron Reflexes and I can run Grace now once I find or roll the correct links. From then on I'll only be pickung up damage and defense nodes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:31:20 PM by Rufus »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:47 AM »
Rumbler and PD, I added you guys yesterday. Finally thought to look at the social panel.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2013, 05:20:46 AM »
I'll kill Piety tomorrow on my wand Templar (Nemesis). Man every single weapon drops in abundance except rare wands.

Almost lost my Scion to an elite mob that exploded after death. I've steered into the Maurader side of th tree, and I'll be stacking armor and life for awhile.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 05:42:26 AM »
Yeah, volatile rares are scary, especially if you haven't maxed the respective resists. I run around with 50% fire in maps. I'm asking for it at this point.

I am much, much more scared of Corrupting Blood though. They put up to 20 stacks of bleed dots on you. It's just like puncture, except they add a stack every time you hit them. Spectral Throw hits a lot. You're toast without a staunching flask that removes bleeding.

On the topic of maps: The new laboratory looks great. Portals into and out of maps look slightly different, too.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
Downloading.

Hopefully it can run on low-low-low settings.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2013, 12:02:02 AM »
Killed Piety. Way easier than I remember it being last year when I killed her on another character, but then again that was a melee character. Ranged makes a lot of stuff a lot easier.

I'm going to try the last boss on my standard character first, before trying him on hardcore mode.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
It's been on Steam's top 10 activity list since release, very impressive.

I lost my main in Nemesis a few weeks ago, on the last boss. Fuck me.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
I have a very capable character now so if you need someone to give you some waypoints or mince-meat a boss real quick...

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
Playing some D3 and Grim Dawn lately and then trying to go back to PoE really underscores that the combat IS crappier in PoE.  Shame.
yar

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 12:10:24 AM »
how do you like grim dawn.. i really loved titan quest so im eager to try it out
UNF

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 12:30:58 AM »
how do you like grim dawn.. i really loved titan quest so im eager to try it out

You'll love the shit out of it.  It's basically the TQ engine with a newer, prettier skin over it.
yar

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:05 AM »

You'll love the shit out of it.  It's basically the TQ engine with a newer, prettier skin over it.

sold! thanks dude
UNF

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »
New patch/expansion coming March 5th. I really wish they'd work on the combat... anyway, between Reaper of Souls on 3/24, this, and Act 2 in the Grim Dawn alpha supposedly going live sometime around then too, March is OFFICIAL ARPG MONTH OF LOOT AND MONSTER KILLIN.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/793831
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »
What would you have them change? Is it just the animations, or the mechanics as well? I doubt they'll take out accuracy and stun. They seem married to those concepts.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »
For lack of a better term, make it more visceral. Play some D3. Play some Grim Dawn. Play some PoE. It just isn't as good as the other two.
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 11:32:59 PM »
Hm, same old same old then. Not that I disagree, but I guess I just got used to it. They keep "continually improving animations", but I don't know how much focus they put on overall improvements.
De-sync is by far and away the most prevalent complaint people have and I kinda doubt that's ever getting fixed, as far as it can be fixed, anyway... And it kinda impacts the feel of the combat as well, since monsters aren't always where you think they are and other such inconsistencies. :shaq2

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2014, 12:13:46 AM »
I played a lot of PoE last year. A LOT. The skill tree is the shit. But after the Grim Dawn alpha went live, and I played a bit of D3 after being away for so long... I guess I got used to it, too, but after playing games with better, more responsive combat, it's been tough to go back. I'll give it a try, though.
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2014, 12:21:46 AM »
PoE with Blizzard resources... :noah

I won't play again until this update hits. Deleted all my characters yesterday for a fresh start (the death of my summoner has nothing to do with this, nono). Still have to clear out my stash for the transfer though. I might just nuke all my stuff like I did last time...