Author Topic: Your top 5 anime thread  (Read 5960 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Re: Your top 5 anime thread
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 11:24:50 AM »
This and the fish family episode were my favorite filler bits of revolution

o_0

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
TV
1. Vision of Escaflowne
2. Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
4. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
5. Armored Trooper Votoms

OVA
1. Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
2. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
3. Mobile Suit Gundam The 08th MS Team
4. FLCL
5. Read or Die
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:33:59 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2014, 12:01:39 PM »
i respect scryed, but fairy tail?? jesus, that show (well, the manga) is escalating fan service of the worst order -- duder's drawing straight up yuri bondage shit now, and the "plots" makes bleach seem like claremont x-men in comparison
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:04:19 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:05 PM »
recently i enjoyed:

tiger & bunny
rideback
space dandy

not sure what my final opinion is on kill la kill

duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »
i respect scryed, but fairy tail?? jesus, that show (well, the manga) is escalating fan service of the worst order -- duder's drawing straight up yuri bondage shit now, and the "plots" makes bleach seem like claremont x-men in comparison

Show has been fine- especially when compared to kill la kill, something I couldn't bring myself to watch after the transformation to that 'suit'
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »
Fish family episode- so weird/good

o_0

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2014, 12:34:49 PM »
Fairy Tail is all about the screaming and beating up and super explosive powers - the boobs and fetishism is a plus
fat

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
Cowboy Bebop obviously.

For movies Millenium Actress is goddamn amazing.  I keep saying someone should remake it as a live action movie with Jennifer Lawrence and Helen Mirren and make loads of money and get an oscar.
vin

MrAngryFace

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
Cowboy Bebop obviously.

For movies Millenium Actress is goddamn amazing.  I keep saying someone should remake it as a live action movie with Jennifer Lawrence and Helen Mirren and make loads of money and get an oscar.

I just want it on goddamned bluray already.
o_0

Steve Contra

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
Satoshi Kon also makes anime that actually rises to level of adult, and not the claptrap made for precocious 13 year olds that people say are "cartoons for adults"
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
Satoshi Kon also makes anime that actually rises to level of adult, and not the claptrap made for precocious 13 year olds that people say are "cartoons for adults"

"Made" :'(
dog

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
Cowboy Bebop obviously.

Millenium Actress is one of my favorite films of all time, live-action or animated.

Paranoia Agent fell into that trap at times, but Kon still did a great job making a TV series.

RIP.  :(
野球

MrAngryFace

o_0

Steve Contra

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »

"Made" :'(
Yeah :(

I don't want it to be true
vin

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »
What happened with the studio trying finish up Dream Machine after he died? Anything? Cancelled?
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2014, 01:08:41 PM »
What happened with the studio trying finish up Dream Machine after he died? Anything? Cancelled?

That's Madhouse, and they shelved it because it would cost money they don't have to finish it. They should just go for broke and throw it up on Kickstarter or something, but I'm sure they'll just leave it on a shelf somewhere instead to collect dust.
dog

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
I just read some articles about it, sounds like they had 600 of the 1500 shots done and ran out of money. Kickstarter that sucker.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »
Cutesy 90s anime-style-that-isn't-overly-creepy :rejoice

da best :rock

dog

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »

That's Madhouse, and they shelved it because it would cost money they don't have to finish it. They should just go for broke and throw it up on Kickstarter or something, but I'm sure they'll just leave it on a shelf somewhere instead to collect dust.

According to this:

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Newsletter/News1/Anime_Real_vs_Dream_InDepth_Review_5316.aspx

It's not so much money but the lack of Kon's vision.
Boo

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Newsletter/News1/Anime_Real_vs_Dream_InDepth_Review_5316.aspx

It's not so much money but the lack of Kon's vision.

Yeah, I could see that being a problem, too. There just aren't that many anime directors with the kind of talent and vision that Kon had, maybe Miyazaki or Kawajiri or Nakamura [except that Miyazaki is too old, Kawajiri has always been a B-movie lover on top of now being mostly retired, and Nakamura is dead, too]. Yoshiura might could do it, but I think he's still too young, and Shinkai is more about lovingly-rendered visuals than depth. Uhh...Hosoda?

So, yeah, maybe four or five directors in the entire industry that might could possibly step in and make it happen.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:03:34 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Himu

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2014, 03:01:19 PM »
The fact that Satoshi Kon's final film was not finished makes me want to smash shit
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2014, 03:03:34 PM »
IMO satoshi kon was kinda under appreciated
o_0

Himu

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »
Well, yeah. I mention satoshi kon around people who only think ghibli is good and they don't take my opinion seriously despite having a lot of anime experience. They're like only ghibli makes anime that's tolerable, and I'm all watch a satoshi kon movie or the girl who leapt through time or rurouni kenshin: trust and betrayal or something

and they're all NOPE
IYKYK

Yulwei

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2014, 03:05:24 PM »
Anime TV:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. FLCL
3. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
4. Baccano!
5. Mushishi

Manga:

1. Blade Of The Immortal
2. BLAME!
3. Basilisk
4. Hunter x Hunter
5. One Piece

Haven't been into anime/manga since 2008. I've watched maybe one or two shows a year since then. I did enjoy Attack On Titan last year though. Was a flawed show but the good parts made up for it, I thought.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
MOST of what I watch is old shit- im cool with that.
o_0

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »
Well, yeah. I mention satoshi kon around people who only think ghibli is good and they don't take my opinion seriously despite having a lot of anime experience. They're like only ghibli makes anime that's tolerable, and I'm all watch a satoshi kon movie or the girl who leapt through time or rurouni kenshin: trust and betrayal or something

and they're all NOPE
Heh, fuck them. :pacspit
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
MOST of what I watch is old shit- im cool with that.

I went on a binge last year where I watched a ton of obscure 80's OVAs. :rock

Most of them weren't very good, sure, but still...
dog

Himu

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
it's hard to not blame them because anime fans can have spotty tastes. i only listen to specific people anime recs because my tastes are very selective. i do not take every single anime rec seriously from just about anybody. you have to earn your keep to send me an anime rec and that usually leaves it to close animu buds.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2014, 03:24:20 PM »
Do you take my anime recs seriously, Himu? Please say yes.
dog

Himu

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »
Of course I do. I said CLOSE ANIMU BUDS.
IYKYK

Steve Contra

« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
Anime recs are hard because someone's all this is amazing and you find it's Professor Prole's Panty Patrol II: Moe Uguu full of catgirls and maids and jesus fucking christ I hate pervert fanservice
vin

Himu

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
Anime recs are hard because someone's all this is amazing and you find it's Professor Prole's Panty Patrol II: Moe Uguu full of catgirls and maids and jesus fucking christ I hate pervert fanservice

That was my point. I am specific with who i trust who suggests me anime.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
I don't suggest shows like that, even if I enjoy them, to people I know won't want to watch them.
dog

Trent Dole

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
You mean this?

:teehee I worked in a video store up until a few weeks ago so I know all about horrible recently released animu. Can't even post the cover of one of them here. :yuck
Hi

MrAngryFace

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »
I worked for a video store called Video Update during my first few years of college. That's where I discovered the Slayers OVA and MY FAVORITE ANIME OF ALL TIME (slayers)
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »
You mean this?

:yuck
dog

Himu

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »
anime recs are like buying drugs. you don't buy drugs from just ANYONE.
IYKYK

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Milennium Actress, Summer Wars and Wolf Children are all good recommendations for people who only like Ghibli stuff.
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »
one of my friends was into boxing so I recommended Hajime no Ippo to him.  a week later he's asking why these boxers play grab-dick in the shower, and why they go into detail about how big Ippo's dick is.

:yeshrug

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
one of my friends was into boxing so I recommended Hajime no Ippo to him.  a week later he's asking why these boxers play grab-dick in the shower, and why they go into detail about how big Ippo's dick is.

:yeshrug

Sounds like it was a little too real for him.
©@©™

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »

We need an anime rec confessional thread for the stuff you got conned into buying/watching. God knows I've got some sins I need to purge
itm

Trent Dole

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »

We need an anime rec confessional thread for the stuff you got conned into buying/watching. God knows I've got some sins I need to purge
I had Gatekeepers and Vandread reccomended to me. :duh
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »
Vandread's kind of okay, I guess, if you're not too picky and have low standards.
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »

puni-puni poemi (FUCK YOU HITOKAGE)
duc

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »

puni-puni poemi (FUCK YOU HITOKAGE)

i've read of puni-puni poemi as "THE FOLLOW UP OF EXCEL SAGA THAT WAS TOO GROSS TO SHOW ON TV" but even after watching it i tought it was pretty much on the par (well ok i guess there is this ridicolous joke were everybody suddenly sprout boobs so big that they cover the whole screen) and actualy tought was funny too

EDIT: oh yeah i totaly forgot about the alien with the swinging testicle! it's a good thing this anime came out before internet moral brigade were a thing :lol
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:42:47 PM by magus »
<----

MrAngryFace

« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
Yeah, I was a puni puni hitokage victim as well :/ - I mean there's the obvious issues with almost all of its content- but what was also offensive is that it wasn't even clever- I expected more from the 'follow up' of excel saga
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:52:56 PM by MrAngryFace »
o_0

Trent Dole

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »
Vandread's kind of okay, I guess, if you're not too picky and have low standards.
Yeah, it's not bad, just not something you really need to go seek out.
Hi

Rahxephon91

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2014, 11:10:31 PM »

I was looking for anime like Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. Smart stuff with adult characters. I was recommended 
Rin daughters of mnemosyne. I was on Netflix so I thought what the hey. Well, I didn't quite like it. It was a strange erotic thriller , but obviously mixed with 80s anime. Now that sounds cool, but what you get is this strange story about angels who rape immortal women or something, but it's not rape because the women want them. And the villain is some genderless psycho. Our main hero has a sidekick who is really like 500 years old, but looks like a little girl and engages in lesbian sex with a former client.

It just wasn't what I was looking for.

Now these days a lot of the anime community wants to recommend stuff like Gurls and Panzer. Yeah I'm sure it's fine, but it dosen't look like my cup of tea. Or even worse, Valvrave.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2014, 11:54:07 PM »
I was looking for anime like Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. Smart stuff with adult characters.

You're welcome.
dog