Author Topic: Game  (Read 11647 times)

fizzel

Re: Civilization: Beyond Earf (Alpha Centauri 2.0)
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 12:53:19 PM »
These factions are all dogshit.  :yuck

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »
It took me a lot of turns until I figured out what I wanted to do in the tech tree (filtering and searching helps! doh!). Kinda wanted to start over but I think I'm gonna see this map through. Harmony tha only way.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2014, 01:45:47 AM »
Slowly warming to this but the pace is glacial and the other civs are so bland.
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »
He's mostly right. 300 turns into my game last night and I'm about to win easily. 80% of was hitting next turn or making quest decisions that don't matter. I think there were maybe 3-4 war declarations in total and no cities changed hands, and I barely saw anyone else's units, it was mostly watching OP trade routes move around. This is on one of the middle difficulties though, I will move up to Immortal equivalent after this game.

Espionage is one of the few mechanics they've managed to nail though. 
itm

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »
Running this on Mantle vs DX11 makes my machine run much quieter.
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »
Biowells are a great counter to mid game health issues. Granted it costs gold, but everyone should be rolling in it with trade routes.
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2014, 03:15:47 PM »
I like how Frag said that in BNW, everyone starts out different and ends up the same. In BE, everyone starts the same and ends up different.

I might have to speed up the pace. I always love playing on Epic, but it takes like 4 hours to hit 380 turns.
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »
Like 5-10% depending on the card. Like you would see a higher benefit from a 290 than you would a 270.
©ZH

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »
The Quest functions are the best thing in this game. Except they need more. More more more. And maybe need to beef up the concept of them as well somehow.

There needs to be a richer narrative over this game to replace the deficit of the story of humanity told by the vanilla Civ games.

I was actually hoping for a richer narrative too.

Brehvolution

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »
Go for Purity while letting The Augmented take refuge and use their tech not to make them human again, brehs. :hitler
©ZH

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »
Every game ive started, slavic federation always sets up shop right next to me, bitches for a hundred turns then invades. Brownest nations are always the most chill but in this last game African Union was trying to get at me because I was going for a Supremacy win and killing too many aliens. I picked a really poor place to settle my capital city. Right next to an alien nest and then a siege worm for like 40 turns.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2014, 12:24:02 AM »
I haven't had a problem with them either just sometimes you get unlucky and it pops up on a trade route or near a city and if you're still early game you can't really do a lot about it safely. The one near my city I eventually killed with one rocket rover. It got caught in a loop between two of my workers. One was trying to repair some roads behind it, so it'd go after the closest one each turn and each turn they would just run back to w/e city was closest. This kept in a back and forth loop for like 30 turns so I just had a single rocket rover sit at the edge of my capital and hit it for 8-10 dmg everytime it would move back in range ever other turn.

Still got invaded by slavic fed that game though but im not gonna take that L. The map was garbage.

:pacspit

Brehvolution

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »
Anyone know why I can click to build the exodus gate but nothing happens? It doesn't say there are any other prerequisites.
I mean I research the tech and have the purity points to build it but it doesn't show up in any build que.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:41:54 PM by Brehvolution »
©ZH

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »
He's not wrong, though? Everyone bitched about Civ 5 until Gods and Kings, IIRC.

archie4208

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »
Just buy Endless Legend and its expansion, brehs.

« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »
This is free to play for the next five hours. If you miss that it's on sale for half off until tomorrow. I'm going to try it out now.

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2015, 12:23:58 PM »

Looks like I need a new computer. :(

archnemesis

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2015, 01:53:13 PM »
Is the new expansion also free to try?

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2015, 03:55:11 PM »
One frustrating thing about Firaxis is that they are so good at refining their products based on user feedback, but don't actually engage their users for feedback before release. The other frustrating thing is that they are fixated on big expansion pack level content updates when they could be doing EU4/CK2 style individual system overhauls + new features in a continuous development model which suits PC gamers much better.

What they do works but it could work much better. They have top tier talent, just need to budge out of the comfort zone in terms of how they release their software.
hex

thisismyusername

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2015, 04:58:48 PM »
This is free to play for the next five hours. If you miss that it's on sale for half off until tomorrow. I'm going to try it out now.

$20 ain't bad, but I'm wondering if it'll be sub $15 in the Winter Sale... that's why I'm kinda holding off, I'm not sure how much lower it'll go.

Tasty

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2015, 01:53:53 AM »
Bought this two weeks ago hoping to rekindle some SMAC memories. Or at the very least, see what the big fuss for Civ 5 was all about.

Then I played it.

Then I realized SMAC has had a Mac port for ages.

Why am I playing this drek?

thisismyusername

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2015, 07:47:12 AM »
Bought this two weeks ago hoping to rekindle some SMAC memories. Or at the very least, see what the big fuss for Civ 5 was all about.

Then I played it.

Then I realized SMAC has had a Mac port for ages.

Why am I playing this drek?

Because you don't own Civ5. :ufup

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's not that bad.
[close]

archie4208

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2015, 08:05:15 AM »
BE is pretty bad.  :fbm

Civ5 is the GOAT though.  :bow2

Tasty

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »
It's not bad, it's just... exactly SMAC but far far shallower. I don't give a fuck about any of the goober leaders in this game where as the cast of SMAC was dripping with personality. There's literally no story in BE, one unit per tile is bullshit, the UI looks like RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 and most buttons are too damn big, the AI is worse... I could go on.

The AI is worse! Almost 20 years later and the AI is worse. Goddamn.

Tasty

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
This game is more like Alpha Centauri 0.2. I demand a title change.

Tasty

« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2015, 03:21:51 AM »
So despite my bitching I've still dumped like 30 hours into this... :lol and I still haven't really dug deep into everything yet. So kudos there. Will probably buy the expansion next month. Apparently I've played more than Esch who had a lot more posts ITT, lol.

That said, my previous posts' points still stand.

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »
Just buy Endless Legend and its expansion, brehs.

The winter expansion or another? I've been trying to get into this.

Tasty

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »
The first expansion pack, Rising Tide was released two weeks ago. I haven't bought it yet cause I'm super broke atm, but they also updated the base game.

Speaking as someone who put ~30 hours into the pre-patch version, it feels like an enhanced port. Not a totally new game of course, but substantially more fleshed out. The Unit Upgrade screen has been completely overhauled, the Technology Web is signficantly more colorful and easier to understand, and the interstitial dialogs after completing most actions have full text and new illustrations. It just feels like a significantly more content-full experience.

I can't speak to any underlying balance tweaks or whatnot yet, and it won't change anyone's mind about the game, but it does feel a little nicer now. Might end up dumping another 5-10 hours at least.

pilonv1

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2015, 08:56:14 AM »
I've seen Frag playing it on my Steam friends list. The RPS Wot I think wasn't very kind though
itm

Tasty

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:25 AM »
I've seen Frag playing it on my Steam friends list. The RPS Wot I think wasn't very kind though

It wasn't and I think that's fair if it indeed shipped as buggy as it was. The peace negotiation "mechanic" was also a big deal-breaker for a lot of people in the comments so I assume that's on the mark as well (it's the same as it was if you just have the base game as I do.)

One other thing I forgot to mention: :drudge there's actually animations with voiceover when you complete a Victory. They're pretty basic but an absolutely needed touch, game felt really half-baked without them.

Brehvolution

« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »

Same here. I hoped he would've came here and gave his thoughts. I know he didn't care much for BE so I wondered if this solved the things he didn't like about BE.
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
Who's Frag?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2015, 04:13:08 PM »
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=513

Resident Civ god deity and a "really smart cookie". Posts more on GAF these days. :V

Brehvolution

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »
I have to say I'm very impressed with the expansion. There is so much new content. :lawd

The aliens are assholes, there are a lot of them, and more types. Diplomacy adds some nice depth to your civ.

:bow Firaxis :bow2
©ZH

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
Why did frag stop posting here

Tasty

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
I have to say I'm very impressed with the expansion. There is so much new content. :lawd

The aliens are assholes, there are a lot of them, and more types. Diplomacy adds some nice depth to your civ.

:bow Firaxis :bow2

I've heard the problem with the Diplomacy system is it forces the conditions for peace and the AIs won't ever agree with it until you're basically about to wipe them out anyways.

Otherwise, yeah, I like a lot of what they're doing. Waiting for a price drop or steam sale though

Brehvolution

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2015, 04:43:52 PM »
I don't think I've ever had a war with another civ in this game. : :idont

Maybe that will change. :phil
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2015, 05:37:29 PM »
The aliens being more dick-ish doesn't really affect me either tbh cause I usually do Harmony.

Then I wield their dick-ish power over the others. :phil

Tasty

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2018, 01:55:59 AM »
I still play this fairly regularly. Scratches an itch. :yeshrug

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
I really wanted to like it but got bored before finishing a single game. I dropped Civ 6 because it had too much shit going on so maybe I will have to give this another go.

Brehvolution

« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2018, 10:10:35 AM »
The Rising Tide expansion makes it a finished game. It was pretty boring without it.
©ZH

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
Man this bump just reminded me Frag doesnt post here anymore

Tasty

« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
The Rising Tide expansion makes it a finished game. It was pretty boring without it.

I wish it got 1 more expansion to round things out but oh well. :-\

thisismyusername

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2018, 07:44:38 PM »

I wish it got 1 more expansion to round things out but oh well. :-\

It's a shame they probably won't take another crack at it. I do feel there's some solid foundations there that they could make the Alpha Centari/Alien Crossfire people really want.