Author Topic: THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER THREAD  (Read 171268 times)

Himu

Jesus, Pep. :lol

Apparently Man U has Giggs as Assist. manager. Fuck off United.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:05:49 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

American soccer footage is THE WORST.  AUGH!!!!! FA Cup on Fox has me raging. They have Leona Lewis singing this  song and it looks to have tradition. One thing that I adore about this sport is the tradition and pageantry. The rivalries and local club emotion. They've got her singing and they show a five second clip of her and the pre match festivities but not BEFORE they cut it in the middle and go to a commercial break and certainly not AFTER they keep talking over her singing in a conversation. They actively try to ruin a lot of my favorite parts of the sport and attending a live match. FUCK FOX. UGHHHHH
IYKYK

Himu

ESPN has World Cup this year. Expect coverage that does not take it seriously while being confused about basic tactics that you can teach yourself by playing FIFA. Or they can have hopefully have British announcers.

Anyways, Fox cut off Abide With Me, which is traditionally sung at the FA Cup. Let's take a look at what we missed! :maf

Bonus:

God Saves The Queen

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:56:56 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/03/espn-play-by-play-commentators-for-2014-fifa-world-cup/  List of announcers.

The announcing for the US games was not good last time, not even from a lack of knowledge.  Ian Darke and John Harkes had about negative chemistry, and Darke was awkwardly trying to play the American homer.

Himu

Watch the 30 for 30 association football episodes:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/05/19/catch-up-on-6-of-the-espn-30-for-30-soccer-series-films-you-may-have-missed-video/

NBC also got 31 million viewers this past premiership season:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/05/15/nbc-scores-big-with-31-million-total-viewers-of-2013-2014-premier-league-season/

Good news. Soccer is gaining a lot of healthy numbers recently and it's growing extremely fast.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:40:28 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

Delete
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:15:19 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

Fantastic final to the FA Cup. Arsenal brought it to the Hull City Furries. First half had some pretty solid offensive probing, and I was really impressed by Hull's defensive line. The probes continued in the second half and eventually the rock tight defense line scattered as Arsenal made shot on goal after shot on goal. Extra time was classic football as both clubs raced to scoring an extra point in desperation to bring their club glory. Could have went either way many, many times. Great match.

La Liga final next.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:11:28 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

Biz: yeah

La Liga Final

Christ on a stick. Now that's a football match. The atmosphere, the energetic back and forth in the second half, Barcelona tiki-taka constantly being thwarted by Atletico, the swag, the ENERGY. Absolutely beautiful soccer match, and capped by the fans of the losing team CHEERING for the winning team. One of the best soccer matches I've ever seen. BEAUTIFUL.

Last week when I looked at the results I thought that Atletico couldn't possibly beat Real at the Champions League final due to injuries, but watching it? I think they can take it despite losing to Real in the Copa del Rey. Tomorrow should be an absolutely wonderful display of the sport. Plus, apparently Costa is playing in tomorrow's match.

To get me even more hyped for the Champions League final:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/05/23/atletico-madrid-and-diego-simeone-on-the-verge-of-creating-history/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:20:34 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
Courtois; Juanfran, Miranda, Godin, Filipe Luis; Koke, Tiago, Gabi, Raul Garcia; Villa, Costa

Casillas; Carvajal, Varane, Sergio Ramos, Coentrao; Di María, Khedira, Modric,; Bale, Benzema, Cristiano Ronaldo

starts in ten minutes.
zzz

Himu

Costa starting is :obama
IYKYK

Fifstar

Can't believe he thought he would be able to reach that ball, dumb mistake. Hope Athletico wins this now, I don't begrude Real La Decima.
Gulp

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
casillas is really insecure when he comes off of his line.
zzz

Himu

Just skip it and I'll post a stream later.
IYKYK

Fifstar

Fuck this game
Gulp

Himu

HOLY FUCKING SHIT
IYKYK

Himu

Atlético had no endurance  :goty

They had endurance in the first half, but they play highly physical football and I think they got gassed by matches end. After the first Real goal I think they lost a lot of their cool. Extra time killed them. Juanfran was on the verge of tears while he tried to defend against Real despite his injury. Class act. Eventually it all unraveled and Real is not a club you want to lose your momentum against. They will take advantage if that and devour you.

I thought the win was deserved but Atletico were Sooooooo close! I was really cheering for them. They came so far! :tocry
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:37:37 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

They'll do better next year. ^_^

Edit:

http://m.goal.com/s/en-us/news/4839713

I hope not! Congrats Cristiano on the CL record! I'm sure next year he and Messi and are going to be competing to top the 22 points in a career record.

http://m.goal.com/s/en-us/news/4839725/

I'd be pissed if I were Simeone. The five added minutes of stoppage in the second half were bullshit. For the record, the first half had ONE minute of stoppage. Why the disparity?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:58:33 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Fifstar

Second half has a longer extra time in basically every game and extra time in big finals is often overly long. Don't know why, I guess refs like to be part of the drama? Not saying this is fair, but it's more or less the same in all final games, nothing really unusual. Although it often feels like if the bigger team is behind, the extra time will be even longer, like in this case. For this game, 3-4 minutes would have been more standard, but that could have been enough to still score that equalizer.

Also because players tend to get in discussion and try to kill time, the second half almost always has a lot more extra time.

Regarding the game, while I really hoped that Athletico would win, I have to admit that Real was better in the second half and ultimately deserved that goal. Also, while Athletico played excellent from a tactical point of view, they didn't create a lot of chances and their goal can be blamed completly on Casillas.
Gulp

Himu

I'm used to longer second halves, but five feels excessive.

As for Atletico not taking offensive chances, I think a big reason for that is the lack of Costa. Simeone should have put Costa in the second rather than making him a starter.

Did anyone catch the QPR-Derby promotion match?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 10:23:27 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

That blog has been so integral to helping me understand and spectate the sport. When I first started in 2010 I just saw a bunch of guys running all over the place. Now I'm seeing plays and tactics that last minutes at a time, actual strategy via play style and formation. May seem like a small thing, but as an American it's hard when you're the only person you know who really likes the sport and didn't grow up watching it.
IYKYK

Fifstar

Honestly, most football fans in europe don't have a lot of tactical knowledge themselves. The press and tv tend to simplify things and reduce the outcome of games on mental stuff and individual abilities. The tactical blogs (and I believe parts of the UK press like Jonathan Wilson) really did a lot for the public awareness of tactical aspects of the game.

If you watched the german cup final, here is an (translated) analysis of the game by a fine german blog:

http://spielverlagerung.com/2014/05/19/borussia-dortmund-bayern-munchen-02/
Gulp

Himu

Surprisingly this Bleacher Report (I know) article helped me get a grasp on formations.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1375589-15-tactical-formations-and-what-theyre-good-for
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:52:00 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Why didnt you tell me himu you started another football thread?

Gaf thread is ruined by real scum pulga and other glory hunters

Himu

But a more in-depth piece?

How to watch soccer:

http://www.postmatch.org/106/how-to-watch-football-introduction-to-tactics/

I've even read books:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1449580823/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1401208628&sr=8-1

This book in particular explains the game in simple terms. Every position, tactics, basic formations, and how to actually enjoy a match.

I had a similar problem with American football but when I was growing up. I couldn't appreciate NFL because I thought it was boring. I was too used to basketball, which is about free form constant plays. Similarly to soccer at least in theory. Basketball courts are also smaller than football fields so they're easier to eye. I picked up John Madden's book on how to watch and appreciate Football. It really helped and I think a lot of it carries over toe soccer. In American football, one tip I've thought was the best, was to not eye the ball. Look at it sometimes, but football is not like basketball. Take your eye off the ball and look at the both teams and their positions and what they're trying to do. Sounds easy enough, but following the ball is even easier. I started focusing my eye towards where the action is: the o-line. This is where most plays in football happen. Watch the offensive line and you won't miss a thing. Keep the qb in your mind and look at him now and the , but don't just eyeball the qb. It is boring.

Soccer is a little similar. Thankfully the cam in matches is far up so you can get a nice eyeful of the action. It is hard to not stare at the ball though, or hell, stare at the club or team you're rooting for. Soccer is best watched when taking off all pretensions and examining both teams, and their psychology. Like when the team with the ball, and the defending team crowds their defensive line to contract the space between the opposition and the goal. This makes you really appreciate the sport, as you question how the shit that forward is going to get past like 4-5 people defending the goal plus a keeper. Watching him do it is fun, but watching his team set it up is even funner.
A lot of people make the comparison that soccer is like chess, and I can see that as both are about maximizing space to defend their "queen."
IYKYK

Himu

Also, as an American, I find that a lot of people see football (both American and Association) to be totally different. But I find so many commonalities between the two. Soccer is more free form as the players make the decisions on the fly, and American has a lot of stops and breaks as the teams have a coaching battle. But the emphasis on lines and yardage and trying to utilize space to get the ball to where you want it remind me of each other despite the fact from outsider looking in soccer looks like basketball on grass. They're like long lost twins. Except one is blonde, and the other brunette. Then you have rugby to complete the trifecta. At this point, any football (American, Association, Rugby) are my favorite sports to watch.
IYKYK

Himu

MLS and NBCSN have a thing you can sign up for iirc. MLS has MLS live and you can stream all games for the season without a cable box. NBCSN you can stream all EPL games but it requires having the channel, iirc. I wish the future of sports was on places like YouTube but it won't happen soon because these leagues have multi-million (billion) licensing deals with TV networks to allow them to air their league. So much money is involved it probably won't happen. Your local team doesn't have the resources to do that, hence why the stuff is on yt
IYKYK

Himu

Apparently. If you know someone who has the channel though you could get access.

MLS live is definitely aimed at cable cutters and people without TV access. I worry they will downgrade that now after the recent tv deal they struck.
IYKYK

Went to the Sounders match today. We thumped Real Salt Lake something fierce.
野球

I go to probably 5 or 6 games a year so no loss. Besides, RSL might have been down Beckerman, but we were missing Dempsey and Yedlin.
野球

Himu

MLS is back in session this weekend. Houston Dynamo match July 4. Sounds like a great day out.
IYKYK

Himu

Friendlies are coming over this summer. Lots of EPL clubs touring in July. If you live near a place that has a upcoming match, go and tell us how it was!

http://m.worldsoccertalk.com/worldsoccertalk/#!/entry/schedule-of-international-friendlies-to-be-played-in-us-this,53977dae025312186c149327

The Dynamo are playing Aston Villa
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:08:30 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

Really want STL to have an MLS team, especially since we seem to have  a prominent place in US soccer history. Will tune in for Sporting Kansas City until then, because Missouri.

You guys got snubbed for Miami and New York. Fucking bullshit, really.
IYKYK

Himu

Where can I read up on STL soccer history
IYKYK

Himu

Diego Costa signed to Chelsea. Chelsea is going to be scary next season.
IYKYK

Himu

https://m.

If Biz goes Spurs he will be batting against most of the Bore's soccer thread (arsenal fans).

I'd like to see it. :obama
IYKYK

Friendlies are coming over this summer. Lots of EPL clubs touring in July. If you live near a place that has a upcoming match, go and tell us how it was!

http://m.worldsoccertalk.com/worldsoccertalk/#!/entry/schedule-of-international-friendlies-to-be-played-in-us-this,53977dae025312186c149327

The Dynamo are playing Aston Villa

International friendlies suck balls.

Ready for my Sounders to continue riding that domination train.
野球

Himu

Friendlies suck but it's still a chance to see European teams play in America and how often do we have that chance?
IYKYK

Himu

Because often the level of play isn't that high and they don't want to risk injury over a fucking friendly
IYKYK

Himu

(Image removed from quote.)

Still fun to watch for me.

:bow USA vs Mexico friendlies :bow2

I agree. They're still fun which is why I'm pumped for the Europe tour.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Fuck Spurs.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Spurs > Arsenal.

Arsenal hasn't been a team worth keeping even a small glance on since the Henry and Bergkemp days. Spurs at least play entertaining games.
This is sad to read.

Arsenal plays a much better, much more exciting brand of football that that random shit spurs plays.
Anyways, players like Henry, Bergkamp, Overmars, Veira, Fabregas don't grow on trees. The next arsenal dynasty will come, I'm patient. While I wait I can watch a team that always, always plays the game beautifully and entertains me.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
If Biz goes Spurs he will be batting against most of the Bore's soccer thread (arsenal fans).
Eh, as a foreign Arsenal fan, the inter city rivalry doesnt mean shit to me. To me I get hyped when we play Man U (cause most of the fucks I know are Man U fans and I love rubbing it in their face when they lose to us) and Liverpool (because my brother and father supports this failure of a team, and I like torturing them)

Himu

Arsenal are much more entertaining to watch than Tottenham. All arsenal needs a better striker to help feed off Ozil. Ozil looked frustrated many times throughout last season.
IYKYK

Himu

Best way to handle transfer news. If it's a notable player that you know, make note of it. If it's the team you're rooting for, make double note of it. Right now when you're starting out it seems convoluted, but the more you watch and get the players and clubs into your head, you will find it easier.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Transfer news is absolutely convoluted and crazy. Trying to get a bead on any of it is probably impossible and a waste of time. Reminds me of the NBA.
This is the best way to follow it

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/transfers/

If you have any questions ask, I have almost encyclopedic knowledge of most clubs, players and leagues down to about their second divisions

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
thanks to decades of watching football and playing football manager

Himu

Transfer news is absolutely convoluted and crazy. Trying to get a bead on any of it is probably impossible and a waste of time. Reminds me of the NBA.

It's almost always 95% rumors that never come through.

That too.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Yep. Trying to learn up on;

Arsenal
Liverpool
Juventus
Real Madrid
Barca
Man City
Chelsea
Bayern
Man U
Atletico
Dortmund

And it's all a blur :dead

For the English stuff BBC or Sky would do. For the Spanish stuff Eurosport or Sky should do. I dunno if you guys get sky sports news, but you get a pretty good overview from them. actually fuck everything I said sky is probably perfect for a beginner

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
go here and just search for a team if you want specifics

http://www1.skysports.com/football/transfer-deals

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Since I've been pretending to be a fan of them for years on footballthread's various incarnations (don't ask), if you're overwhelmed by following transfer news I suggest becoming a fan of Athletic Club (de Bilbao).

They only transfer in maybe 1-3 players a year (they develop youth players mainly, it's an "ideological" club intertwined with Basque nationalism despite having an English name) and rarely sell even though they're a feeder club because they refuse to sell and also because they sign their players to kind of exploitative contracts with ludicrous buyouts. (Javi Martinez is a great player, but not worth what Bayern paid for him.)

They also play pretty exciting football, if a little too English from time to time, and watching mid-tier La Liga teams during the grind of a season is way fucking better than watching mid-tier English ones since players over there know how to do such baffling things as cross the ball or not fucking studs out tackle all the time.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Of course the spanish papers have the best scoop on spanish stories, but Sky Sports News usually covers the ones that matter

Himu

IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
yeah, the cool thing about the bbc transfer gossip page is it sources the information from like every other source, check it Himu

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/gossip/

Also the hilarity that is 5live callers post on the bbc football forums, its laugh a minute shit

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
OH WOW MARCA NOW HAS AN ENGLISH FRONT

http://www.marca.com/en/

There you go Esch, your Brit and Spanish needs filled

Himu

Thanks momo. I usually stick to guardian. I'll check out sky.
IYKYK

Kara

I CAN FINALLY READ MADRISTA PROPAGANDA IN ENGLISH :rejoice

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Serie A is always weird, I mean La Gazetta della sport, tuttosport and corriere dello sport (all newspapers) are places often sourced by english retellers.

http://www.gazzetta.it/#
http://www.tuttosport.com/
http://www.corrieredellosport.it/

I mean these are three excellent sources, but you kinda have to wait for someone else to pick up the stories and translate them, or alternatively google translate that biatch

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

I CAN FINALLY READ MADRISTA PROPAGANDA IN ENGLISH :rejoice
:lol

Kara

How could you fuck with Real Madrid or Barca, these bastards are loading up their roster like the Heat :holeup

If you're a fan of another team in La Liga you just accept that you won't win the league unless your team does some 2008 financial crisis shit on the books and implodes financially down the road or hope for a Copa del Rey final or Champions League appearance.

Watching Athletic in the Champions League this coming season is going to rule.