Author Topic: GAMERGATE: Both Sides Have The Same Melt Value  (Read 180896 times)

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
Re: GAMERGATE
« Reply #360 on: October 14, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »
It would be easier if the media started just dropping the "ethics concerns" and just calling it exactly what it is, a bunch of sad MRA apologists harassing women.  It's like the media telling us the KKK is also a neighborhood watch organization.  No rational person believes it, and if they do they're part of the problem.
vin

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #361 on: October 14, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »
It would be easier if the media started just dropping the "ethics concerns" and just calling it exactly what it is, a bunch of sad MRA apologists harassing women.  It's like the media telling us the KKK is also a neighborhood watch organization.  No rational person believes it, and if they do they're part of the problem.

乱学者

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #362 on: October 14, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
 :fbm
pcp

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #363 on: October 14, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »
:goty
乱学者

Steve Contra

« Reply #365 on: October 14, 2014, 05:42:54 PM »
In case you're unclear on the "Montreal Style" it's referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_massacre

But keep pretending Gamergate is a rational response to "corruption" in games journalism.
vin

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #366 on: October 14, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
http://www.standard.net/Police/2014/10/14/Utah-State-University-student-threatens-act-of-terror-if-feminist.html

@magoos :hitler
I love that Anita makes videos about how video games as media use violence in women in order to make more money. Then the screenshot that all the news outlets/youtube use about her videos has a hot blonde in lingerie shot in the head.
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #367 on: October 14, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

©@©™

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #368 on: October 14, 2014, 07:14:10 PM »
http://www.standard.net/Police/2014/10/14/Utah-State-University-student-threatens-act-of-terror-if-feminist.html

@magoos :hitler

i'm starting to see the comparison with hitler someone made earlier considering this person has on her own words survived more or less the same attempt on her life :hitler

...has anybody been incriminated so far for threatening this person? because this person seems to get threatened every 3 month, yet no consequence happen everytime

In case you're unclear on the "Montreal Style" it's referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_massacre

But keep pretending Gamergate is a rational response to "corruption" in games journalism.

well another association has dropped ads from gamasutra, sounds like a boycott working to me...

http://misleddit.com/p/2j8ddn/

also, more tv talk

#t=639
<----

Steve Contra

« Reply #369 on: October 14, 2014, 07:18:03 PM »
The school and the police confirmed there was a terrorist threat against Anita Sarkeesian at Utah State University, and yet Magoose still doesn't believe it.  Is he that stupid?  Is anyone that stupid?
vin

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #370 on: October 14, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »
"If she keeps getting death threats, why is she still alive?" :smug - Magus logic
乱学者

Steve Contra

« Reply #371 on: October 14, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »
Imagine if we lived in a world where doing a bunch of softball feminists web videos about videogames would lead to the police investigating a possible terrorist attack.  Oh wait.
vin

Steve Contra

« Reply #372 on: October 14, 2014, 07:26:54 PM »
"Sarkeesian?  She some kind of Muslim radical?  Death to America type?"

"Oh no Sir, she talked about tropes in Super Mario Brothers on a web video"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:36:06 PM by Steve Contra »
vin

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #373 on: October 14, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »
The school and the police confirmed there was a terrorist threat against Anita Sarkeesian at Utah State University, and yet Magoose still doesn't believe it.  Is he that stupid?  Is anyone that stupid?
Obviously the school and police are part of feminist conspiracy duh!
que

Steve Contra

« Reply #374 on: October 14, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »

AND SCHOOLS RELY ON FAFSA LOANS THE CIRCLE IS COMPLETE

vin

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #375 on: October 14, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
I just wanna see what a daigo nerd looks like

I've posted pics in the Post Your Pic thread before :P
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #376 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:58 PM »
Two years ago, she announced that she was starting a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter to create a video series to look at the sexist and demeaning ways women are portrayed in video games. Soon after she announced the campaign, a cyber-mob descended. She faced graphic rape threats and other forms of violence. A game popped up online called "beat up Anita Sarkeesian", the "game" is to beat up and bloody her face. You push any key and you see her face get more purple and beaten up.

It wasn't just to scare her, the cyber-mob tried to shut down her fundraising campaign. Kickstarter received hundreds of complaints that her effort was a fraud — it wasn't. Her YouTube channel and her Facebook and Twitter accounts all received abuse reports that what she was doing was terrorism and hate speech and spam. And her website was hit with denial of service attacks over the course of many months. They're still ongoing. That is silencing her in a way that has everything that has to do with her career.

But I don't know, guys, maybe we should give the other side a chance to explain their point of view, as well.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #377 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »
Two years ago, she announced that she was starting a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter to create a video series to look at the sexist and demeaning ways women are portrayed in video games. Soon after she announced the campaign, a cyber-mob descended. She faced graphic rape threats and other forms of violence. A game popped up online called "beat up Anita Sarkeesian", the "game" is to beat up and bloody her face. You push any key and you see her face get more purple and beaten up.

It wasn't just to scare her, the cyber-mob tried to shut down her fundraising campaign. Kickstarter received hundreds of complaints that her effort was a fraud — it wasn't. Her YouTube channel and her Facebook and Twitter accounts all received abuse reports that what she was doing was terrorism and hate speech and spam. And her website was hit with denial of service attacks over the course of many months. They're still ongoing. That is silencing her in a way that has everything that has to do with her career.

But I don't know, guys, maybe we should give the other side a chance to explain their point of view, as well.
We have already seen their response:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Anyhow, Magus, you live nearer the Vatican, Rome, the birthplace of La Cosa Nostra, and Machiavelli than anyone else here, so I won't fault you for seeing conspiracies. I've said my piece, you've maintained that there are two sides to this argument. To continue the historical theme, I'd argue that the two sides are something akin to The Crusades: a bad idea with dishonestly professed goals, which will end up damaging everyone in the long run.

Tasty

« Reply #378 on: October 14, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #379 on: October 14, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »

False Flag operation. :hans
©@©™

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #380 on: October 14, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »
magus.

you dumb.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #381 on: October 14, 2014, 10:34:11 PM »
By magus logic I'm every pissed off poster at myself on OA/gaf reddit.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #382 on: October 14, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
The one thing I don't understand about the anti-gamer crowd is why they automatically assume every single hardcore gamer is a teen-to-twentysomething white male. Know plenty of hardcore who are anything but this stereotype, from a milf friends-with-benefits who played tons of MMOs to my former RA, a Dominican who grew up in 80's Harlem and spent his formative years playing the NES since his parents didn't want him going outside since it was too dangerous, plenty of black kids in college who would challenge me to Soul Calibur matches (more black weeaboos than white ones in my Japanese classes! And yes they were all hardcore gamer, anime people), etc.

And another thing I don't get is the whole 'anime avatar' being associated with the conservative, MRA portion of #gamergate. I'd have honestly thought someone into niche, foreign interests would be more open-minded and liberal.
^_^

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #383 on: October 14, 2014, 11:05:06 PM »
It's cuz they want their women obedient and one dimensional, like their waifus. It's like the creepy white dude Asian girl lust. Just because they're into "foreign culture" doesn't make them people of the world.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #384 on: October 14, 2014, 11:54:34 PM »
I'd be genuinely surprised if the bulk of gamergaters were not white straight males between the ages of 13 and 35.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #385 on: October 15, 2014, 12:27:20 AM »
TPM picked up the Sarkeesian story

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/horrific-and-also-guns

To get a feel for the sort of character we're talking about, the anonymous emailer - purportedly a student at the University - said “feminists have ruined my life and I will have my revenge, for my sake and the sake of all the others they've wronged."

There's part of the fine print to this story that I also want to call your attention to. University officials, in consultation with law enforcement, had apparently decided that it was safe to proceed with the event. But Sarkeesian, not unreasonably, asked for extra security, including pat downs at the gate and metal detectors.

If I'm reading Sarkeesian's tweets correctly, University officials seem to perhaps agree to this (not clear on this point). But whatever searches they did, if they found people coming into the event with firearms they would not disarm them "as long as attendees [had] a valid concealed firearm permit in accordance with Utah law."

In other words, the extra security precautions would not include preventing people with firearms to come in to watch the speech.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #386 on: October 15, 2014, 12:34:01 AM »
Gamers are the fucking worst, man. I've always said this after doing a couple years of video game retail in my early 20's.
yar

Himu

« Reply #387 on: October 15, 2014, 12:38:24 AM »
holy shit at the mass shooting threat
IYKYK

« Reply #388 on: October 15, 2014, 12:39:39 AM »
Gamers are the fucking worst, man. I've always said this after doing a couple years of video game retail in my early 20's.

Your disparagement of my beloved hobby has left me no recourse but to stand up for gaming the only way that makes sense to me. Magoose, which broad are we harassing now?

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #389 on: October 15, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »

Women in it have been saying it for a long ass time. Now the kind of abuse we routinely put up with is getting even more attention and visibility. Obviously Anita, Wu, et all are getting more than the typical vocal woman but really it's all the same shit.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #390 on: October 15, 2014, 12:54:52 AM »
#stopgamergate2014 is a trending thing now, seems people may have had enough of this finally.
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #391 on: October 15, 2014, 12:55:09 AM »
holy shit at the mass shooting threat

Yeah, after UC Santa Barbara, even as a "joke," I hope they find the prankster and beat some actual humor into him.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #392 on: October 15, 2014, 01:08:15 AM »
#stopgamergate2014 is a trending thing now, seems people may have had enough of this finally.
The false flag attack worked! Those tricksy vixens!!!
que

« Reply #393 on: October 15, 2014, 01:15:01 AM »
turns out they have a secret board on 8chan called /war/

just below a compilation of every address zoe has ever lived at is

http://i.imgur.com/7bprLoo.jpg

edit: https://archive.today/KsLvR in case it gets taken down.

@ MAGOOS  :hitler
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:35:09 AM by doctavius bonbon »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #394 on: October 15, 2014, 01:19:48 AM »
So I was just posting shit in this thread before without reading. I just read the last 2 - 3 pages of Magoose posts and I'm left

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #395 on: October 15, 2014, 01:20:01 AM »
:what
乱学者

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #396 on: October 15, 2014, 01:22:44 AM »
Listed those herself.

Can't trust these hoes.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #397 on: October 15, 2014, 01:35:06 AM »
These always seem so fucking random to me, HipHopBooks? what :lol

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #398 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:33 AM »

:dead

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #399 on: October 15, 2014, 01:59:02 AM »
There's less shit-heelery towards women in the world of competitive magic the gathering play.

Let that sink in for a moment. CARDBOARD FLOPPERS are less awful than video game enthusiasts. Good jon, guys!
yar

« Reply #400 on: October 15, 2014, 02:40:17 AM »
Yeah.   :(

Himu

« Reply #401 on: October 15, 2014, 03:26:55 AM »
Oscar is gone because of this?

Bah.

He takes yearly breaks around this time of year. He'll be back in Jan prolly.
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #402 on: October 15, 2014, 04:20:46 AM »
why are we dragging the year into this ???
QED

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #403 on: October 15, 2014, 04:35:50 AM »
Blame the Jews for killing Jesus two thousand and fourteen years ago

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #404 on: October 15, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »
That ain't the year. It's how many days it'll take for people to stop talking about this dumb stuff
que

Fifstar

« Reply #405 on: October 15, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »
has any major organization in the industry spoke out about this yet? any magazines, websites, devs, publishers, ANYTHING? because I'm seeing a lot of silence which is strange because I don't even have to try to find opinions on hot topics like framerate comparisons and exclusivity arrangements, but strangely very little on this.

It got an article on the biggest "serious" german news site.
Gulp

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #406 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:25 AM »
"If she keeps getting death threats, why is she still alive?" :smug - Magus logic

so you think it's normal someone can get death threats and harassement mail for so long (because this shit has been going since that tropes against vs women video, mind you) and nobody get to pay shit for it? is the harasser a ghost? is that why they can't find him? is this harassement worth enough a :neogaf emoticon but not worth enough to have real world persecution? please tell me, what's the alternative? this person is an avatar of social and internet drama, and i'm not going to ignore this because it questions her being a victim, her history of vitriol is so long it goes before she even talked about videogames

#t=181

Listed those herself.

Can't trust these hoes.

some of that info is indeed public,the instruction on how to find it are even in that archived thread just to prove it, :lol

http://who.is/whois/beesgo.biz

this person has already an history of stuff like this happening to her and being called upon it

and that thing is old as fuck and was only discovered now... right after anita got a murder threat... right after another activist got threatened too, after a whole month of nothing happening... gamergate is the first hate movement that seems to work in spurts

(Image removed from quote.)

:dead

:heart

The false flag attack worked! Those tricksy vixens!!!

<----

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #407 on: October 15, 2014, 08:35:18 AM »
Gentlemen, in my defense I submit the following:

"The v was capitalized"
que

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #408 on: October 15, 2014, 08:53:20 AM »
Gentlemen, in my defense I submit the following:

"The v was capitalized"

In addition, the phone numbers included in the Tumblr dox post were found to have no connection with Zoe. The number listed as “Dad’s Work” is no longer functional and was associated with a closed down motorcycle store called, “Twin-Tech Motorcycle Shop.” The number that was listed as “zoe’s Cellphone” connected to a text to land line phone located in Hawaii.

HE'S CRAZY, CRAZY I SAY
<----

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #409 on: October 15, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
Oh sorry.

And also some phone numbers were wrong. So to sum up wrong phone numbers and capital v. Obviously a conspiracy is afoot!
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #410 on: October 15, 2014, 09:14:54 AM »
You know way too much about the details of this stuff, magoose.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #411 on: October 15, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »
Oh sweet, an AmazingAthiest video. Lol.
fat

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #412 on: October 15, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
this person is an avatar of social and internet drama, and i'm not going to ignore this because it questions her being a victim, her history of vitriol is so long it goes before she even talked about videogames

#t=181

just to add a little bit to Esch's theory on Magus, notice how he cites Youtube videos to bolster his argument.  The mentality is just as provincial as someone writing an essay and sourcing the information to the guy who fills the donut cases at 7/11 or Uncle Clem.  Challenge him to read a book on sociology or psychology and he'll share some clip of an angry yt 20-something discussing how feminazi's were responsible for the Gutenberg press.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #413 on: October 15, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
And nobody is going to watch that video to determine whether it actually is relevant to the topic.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #414 on: October 15, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
I watched the video, the guy makes amazing, salient points that adds weight and should be a basis of this entire discussion going forward.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #415 on: October 15, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
Yer better off reading his EncyclopediaDramatica entry instead
fat

Himu

« Reply #416 on: October 15, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
I watched the video, the guy makes amazing, salient points that adds weight and should be a basis of this entire discussion going forward.

And how!
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #417 on: October 15, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »
You know way too much about the details of this stuff, magoose.

i go into the den of the neckbears to listen to their side, after coming out of this thread to hear you guys side, i don't partecipate in their discussion... take that as you want

Oh sweet, an AmazingAthiest video. Lol.

i have no idea who this guy is, i just wanted to estabilish that anita has an history of internet drama even before tropes vs women was a thing, let alone gamergate

by the way this also comes from the neckbear den since apparently youtube video with neckbeards aren't okay

http://gamesided.com/2014/10/14/my-open-letter-zoe-quinn-censorship-gaming-media/

#GGisahatemovement :hitler
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #418 on: October 15, 2014, 10:13:05 AM »
i just wanted to estabilish that anita has an history of internet drama even before tropes vs women was a thing, let alone gamergate

And this is supposed to somehow bolster your argument that the harassment is fabricated and the terrorist threats against Utah State are somehow a part of an effort to both make gamers look bad and turn Anita into a victim?
dog

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #419 on: October 15, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »
i just wanted to estabilish that anita has an history of internet drama even before tropes vs women was a thing, let alone gamergate

And this is supposed to somehow bolster your argument that the harassment is fabricated and the terrorist threats against Utah State are somehow a part of an effort to both make gamers look bad and turn Anita into a victim?

you make this sound distinguished mentally-challenged, but yes... that's what i was trying to say

i'll believe this is a hate movement when i see someone being dragged into it who's NOT involved or when the culprit of all these harassement have actual names and faces
<----