Author Topic: Twin Peaks OT: I'll see you again in 25 years.  (Read 81912 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Tasty

Re: Twin Peaks OT: I'll see you again in 25 years.
« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2018, 04:06:41 PM »
http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/david-lynch-memoir-twin-peaks-showtime.html#comments

Props to Showtime.

It still feels like a dream that this even came out, let alone a year ago, but I suppose that's thematically appropriate.

EVOL

« Reply #542 on: June 20, 2018, 01:08:37 AM »
Why does that seem like 10% of an article and where are the comments

:kobeyuck

Tasty

« Reply #544 on: June 22, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time Lynch has responded in the slightest bit positive to new TP.

Tasty

« Reply #545 on: June 22, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
That was the best :lawd

agrajag

« Reply #546 on: June 22, 2018, 07:12:20 PM »
Maybe he can write a scene to override a random chav One Punch Man punching bowling ball Bob out of existence

They can easily have that whole scene be a dream or something.

Apparently the magic green glove was planned from the very beginning of the series and Jack Nance was supposed to be the original green arm man.

That was the best :lawd

Both the Bobball and the Jeffries tea pot felt like creative solutions for impossible problems.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #548 on: July 22, 2018, 02:48:06 PM »
 :tauntaun
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #549 on: July 22, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
Sutherland revealed that Lynch had texted her, “I got my days mixed up and I’m going to be there yesterday if not sooner. It’s slippery in here. In the Red Room, Special Agent Dale Cooper has already won the Emmy.” Earlier this month, the Academy failed to nominate anyone from “Twin Peaks” for acting, including star Kyle MacLachlan, who had portrayed three different characters. The stellar, nuanced performance was one of the most egregious snubs for the series, among many. Lynch makes it clear that in his universe, at least some things work out the way they should.

:ohyeah

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #550 on: August 03, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »
:9

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #552 on: September 04, 2018, 10:36:20 PM »
serge

TVC15

« Reply #553 on: September 05, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »
Which one of them is you?

I’m the Trixie impersonator.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #555 on: September 07, 2018, 10:39:48 PM »
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Lara-Flynn-Boyle-has-gone-downhill/5-2080914/

She’s living her best life without giving a fuck whereas Atra has reduced himself to gluten-free pizza out of pathetic fear of his own mortality.
serge

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #558 on: September 18, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »
If I can find a comically oversized lime green blazer I'm definitely doing Dougie for Halloween. Praying for a thrift shop miracle.

PS I see me bitching about Season 3 earlier in the thread. I was dead wrong, it's incredible.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #559 on: September 18, 2018, 01:15:22 PM »
It was pretty weak of me to tap out after the first ep. It's pretty much the best TV in years every moment after that. The benefit at least was that I got to marathon them all rather than waiting week by week.
zzzzz

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #560 on: September 18, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
It was pretty weak of me to tap out after the first ep. It's pretty much the best TV in years every moment after that. The benefit at least was that I got to marathon them all rather than waiting week by week.

It was a bit like torture waiting week to week but its absolutely made for binging.

Tasty

« Reply #561 on: September 24, 2018, 11:30:42 PM »
"David, when can we expect Season 4?"

Lynch:

Tasty

« Reply #562 on: July 28, 2019, 08:20:06 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/cj1t20/all_mr_c_is_in_a_loop_and_he_knows_it/

Don't agree with all of this but it's an interesting take...

Getting a big urge to rewatch this.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #563 on: July 29, 2019, 07:14:09 AM »
Nearly two years since episode 18 :(
itm

Tasty

« Reply #564 on: July 29, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »

Two years closer to season 4 :rejoice

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #565 on: July 29, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »

You know damn well Lynch is going to die before then.

Anyway, i'm also itching for a rewatch.
Maybe after i'm done with this Dark show, i'll go ahead.

Tasty

« Reply #566 on: July 29, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »
Twin Peaks: The Return edited back into 9 episode might be even more compelling. I'm not sure. 45 minutes of Episode 8 can not be cut down - that HAS to exist as it is, as do many other plotlines. And in a year or two I might be shouting accolades for Lynch's 18-hour pičce de résistance.

Interesting to re-read my original thoughts on the series going into a rewatch. Now that I know how things will go down I wonder if the pacing will be as much of an issue (or possibly more of one.)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #567 on: July 29, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »
As long as that editing down doesn't remove all the little vignettes that make it what it is (like the guy donating blood to pay rent, etc).
There's more to a story than plot, but it's especially true for something as vague and as ethereal as Lynch's stuff.

Personally i binged it, because i watched Twin Peaks for the first time once Season 3 was all out in the first place, but i was glued to the screen throughout all of Season 3 (concert end credits notwithstanding).

Tasty

« Reply #568 on: July 29, 2019, 03:08:09 PM »
As long as that editing down doesn't remove all the little vignettes that make it what it is (like the guy donating blood to pay rent, etc).
There's more to a story than plot, but it's especially true for something as vague and as ethereal as Lynch's stuff.

Yeah and I definitely came around to that view after sitting on the series. But it's a natural reaction to want plotlines wrapped up. The possible mistake is expecting that from Lynch in the first place. :thinking

agrajag

« Reply #569 on: July 29, 2019, 03:10:02 PM »
I can't imagine watching an edited-down version. A of Lynch's weirdness is essential.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:21:17 PM by agrajag »

TVC15

« Reply #570 on: July 29, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »

You know damn well Lynch is going to die before then.

Anyway, i'm also itching for a rewatch.
Maybe after i'm done with this Dark show, i'll go ahead.

I've been meaning to start Dark but it didn't really grab me with it's first ten minutes when I first tried to watch it early on, would you recommend it? Cause I've been thinking I could be down for a dark german show that's filmed well.

Watch the first ep of Dark. By then I knew it definitely wasn’t for me.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #571 on: July 29, 2019, 08:13:07 PM »
Dark is really smart but I find it impossible to care about... any character. It's very nihilistic, which is a strange complaint in a Lynch thread I'll give you.

I enjoyed it overall, but between the language barrier, the family trees, and the criss-crossing timelines, it's a very taxing and demanding show to watch. I haven't mustered up the energy to tackle the bulk of s2 yet either, and when I resume watching it's honestly a coin flip if I rewatch the entire show first just so I have it all fresh in my head.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:38:17 PM by Tasty Meat »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #572 on: July 29, 2019, 09:34:53 PM »
Why is that a  strange complaint? Lynch's work has never been nihilistic.

Tasty

« Reply #573 on: July 29, 2019, 09:38:05 PM »
That's absolutely true. :thinking

I retract that statement.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #574 on: July 29, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »
I finished season 2 of Dark just today (binged it all in the last week or so) and i liked it.
I don't have a problem with the nihilism you mention, the show is almost completely devoid of any humor, but that shouldn't be a prerequisite i think (or Bergman would be a hack).
Regardless, if you like time travel stories, it's probably one of the best i've seen on the screen, this side of Primer (and significantly less complicated than Primer, lol).
It deals with all the usual plot points you find in all of them, such as time loops and paradox and so on and so forth, but puts them together with enough verosimiltude and breakneck pace to make it fun.

I wasn't really sold on episode 1 so i'd suggest to at least give it 3 or 4 episodes, to let the 50 characters set in your head a bit.
I honestly cemented who was who in which timeline, into season 2, so i guess it's normal to run mental connect-the-dots at first.

Casting director on the show should get a medal though, the way they chose various actors to represent the same character is really well done, as far as likenesses go, almost uncanny at times (i could recognize who they were even before the name drop, despite being a different actor).

Before watching i had seen people comparing it to Twin Peaks, and to be honest, aside from the general theme of parallel timelines, and a small town where everyone has a history/skeleton in the closet with one another, there isn't much else they share.

But it's a really gripping show, and the characters grow on you, even though in season 2 they sort of focus more on a couple of central ones, for better or worse, as the plot grows in scale.

Now that i think about it, in terms of tone, the show reminded me a lot of Les Revenants, only Dark is much better, as i hated that show.  :doge
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:51:35 PM by Don Rumata »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

Tasty

« Reply #576 on: August 13, 2019, 03:47:46 PM »
I'd... be down for a season 4 that just focused on Coop and Carrie in the alternate world, with mostly new characters otherwise.

I still want more Audrey content though. It may be my one remaining initial critique of The Return that I think still has merit.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #577 on: August 13, 2019, 03:51:00 PM »
Yeah i'd be down for that too.
I loved all the new characters in S3, so i'd be down for more.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #578 on: August 13, 2019, 04:09:07 PM »

:tocry

Tasty

« Reply #579 on: August 13, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
Yo I need to watch The Missing Pieces...

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #580 on: August 13, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
Yo I need to watch The Missing Pieces...
It's literally 50 minutes of cut scenes one after the other.
some interesting stuff with Bowie, mostly, but it's not really organized into a narrative or anything.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #582 on: August 27, 2019, 11:40:15 PM »
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a860251/twin-peaks-season-4-david-lynch-carrie-page-season-3-finale/

Well, get on it you rube, time knows no mercy!

I mean how poetic would that be, to have a true final season that had Carrie Page on screen for most of it? I'd be so down for a dark ass Coop and Laura 'Sliders'.

agrajag

« Reply #583 on: August 28, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »
David Lynch supports the most non-Lynchian candidate for president, Tim Ryan

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #584 on: October 05, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3DdOqFllAJ/

seem to be a lot of rumors/hear say going around that we might be getting more Twin Peaks

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #585 on: October 05, 2019, 03:10:02 PM »
Hopefully it's true and it gets fast tracked

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #586 on: November 28, 2020, 12:54:19 AM »
https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/david-lynch-wisteria-netflix-series-2021/
What’s On Netflix today spotted the mention of an Untitled David Lynch Project (Working Title: Wisteria) in issue 1222 of Production Weekly. The listing mentions that shooting is set to start in May 2021 and that some of it will take place at Calvert Studios, which is where Rancho Rosa shot parts for Twin Peaks: The Return. The new series is written by David Lynch and he will direct with Sabrina S. Sutherland as the producer.

David Lynch has been rumored to be in talks with Netflix about a new project ever since he was spotted grabbing coffee in the Netflix lobby back in 2018. The surprise release of What Did Jack Do? at the start of 2020 put those rumors to rest only temporarily, because a casting call for ‘the lead of the new David Lynch film’ popped up on Recapped.com a month later. David Lynch was said to be looking for an actress with dark hair in her mid-to-late 20s and ‘tasteful nudity’ was required. The same source later clarified it was actually a limited series for ‘a very popular streaming service’ and that the actress was to be in her 30s instead.

Started here, apparently:
http://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/status/1012358532195344385

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #588 on: February 16, 2021, 12:30:26 AM »
I finished watching the first two seasons of the show again for the first time in many years, and then watched fire walk with me about a week later. I don’t think I had seen the movie since its theatrical run. I remember not being fond of the movie, and feeling that the entire thing was too abstract and forced to feel random. I really enjoyed it this time. It felt deeply connected with the TV show, where my previous viewing had had a much longer than one week gap. There was no easy way to watch TV shows as a run up at that time.

Friend of mine has sent me a fan edit of FWWM and additional footage from “the missing pieces“ (discarded footage from FWWM’s filming) so I will be watching that. The same friend disliked season three though, so I might sidestep that.

Tasty

« Reply #589 on: February 16, 2021, 12:47:33 AM »
Don't deprive yourself of content. Experience it yourself and come to your own conclusion.

If my opinion means anything, while The Return is practically a different show (though following on logically from FWWM, IMO), it's possibly my favorite Lynch work. Hard to top Mullholland but there's a lot to appreciate with The Return...

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #590 on: February 16, 2021, 04:58:40 AM »
Fan edits...  :nope

Id watch missing pieces on its own, and then jump into S3, which is amazing.  :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #591 on: June 26, 2022, 08:04:57 PM »
Trent Reznor On TWIN PEAKS: THE RETURN PART 8, Five Years Later

So, the night David Lynch shows up, we're in my studio, which was in uptown New Orleans, on Magazine Street. It's kind of a residential area. Well, it was also foggy that night, so we went to wait outside because we knew he was headed there. I guess he was driven and dropped off, because he suddenly emerges from the fog and – at that exact moment, from down a side street – two completely naked dudes also come walking out of the fog (laughs). It wasn't planned, just one of those random New Orleans experiences. I'll never forget the look on [Lynch's] face, like, "What the fuck is going on here?"

Tasty

« Reply #592 on: August 29, 2022, 04:56:14 PM »
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me at 30: David Lynch’s underrated masterwork

I can't say whether The Return topped it, but it's at least a conversation.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #596 on: January 31, 2023, 08:45:05 PM »
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/ixb1u550vxs724qi0qkpm968a3txxb

Sight & Sound named Twin Peaks: The Return one of the Top 150 movies of all-time.
©@©™