Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 556594 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #1920 on: December 12, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »
ResetEra
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1921 on: December 12, 2017, 08:05:22 AM »
NeoGAF
ὕβρις

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1922 on: December 12, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »
This thread is like poetry...
___

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1923 on: December 12, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
...it's mostly shit.
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #1924 on: December 12, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
This thread is like poetry...

It crushes you like a bug?

paprikastaude

« Reply #1925 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »

Himu

« Reply #1926 on: December 12, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #1927 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
I can't tell anymore who's serious, but in any case, there's no spoilers in that video.

Himu

« Reply #1928 on: December 12, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »
Why did they say there were spoilers in the title then?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1929 on: December 12, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »
spoilers are not a joke!!!!!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1930 on: December 12, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
"It was so nostalgic to see the millenium falcon after all these decades. Which we haven't seen since Return of the Jedi."
"That was...also in the last film, The Force Awakens..."
"Oh, I did not see that film"

:rofl

Rich holding back laughter :lol
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1931 on: December 12, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »
i'm torn between not being bothered about seeing this film at all and going at midnight just so i can have an opinion on it.

loads of seats left though for cinemas that were booked out months in advance before.

paprikastaude

« Reply #1932 on: December 12, 2017, 12:09:41 PM »
star wars salad

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1933 on: December 12, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
Don't they make Star Wars Sudafed?
©@©™

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1934 on: December 12, 2017, 02:41:55 PM »
Very cool.

Tasty

« Reply #1935 on: December 12, 2017, 06:24:53 PM »
CNN fucking unloaded on this movie, goddamn. :lol Calling it closer to Attack of the Clones than The Empire Strikes Back.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1936 on: December 12, 2017, 06:27:47 PM »
Nothing can be as bad as Attack of the Clones.

Not even Episode I was as bad as AotC, IMHO. :goty2

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1937 on: December 12, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
Nothing can be as bad as Attack of the Clones.

Not even Episode I was as bad as AotC, IMHO. :goty2

AotC is arguably the worst movie in the franchise. Phantom, at least, doesn't work overtime to create plot holes and negate itself at every turn. The idea that the Jedi are unconcerned that a clone army being created on a planet that isn't in their database is available for use, and Yoda shows up with them, leading them in the final scene? Poppycock Level: 11/10

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1938 on: December 12, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »
If I could only pick one prequel trilogy movie that Disney could recreate it would be AotC.

Himu

« Reply #1939 on: December 12, 2017, 07:13:39 PM »
CNN fucking unloaded on this movie, goddamn. :lol Calling it closer to Attack of the Clones than The Empire Strikes Back.

Whaaaat
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #1940 on: December 12, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »
Attack of the Clones wasn't even good as a 12 yo.

Tasty

« Reply #1941 on: December 12, 2017, 07:50:05 PM »

Whaaaat

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/12/entertainment/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review/index.html

If expectations for "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" were inordinately (and perhaps unfairly) high, thank "The Force Awakens," which had a huge donut hole in the shape of Luke Skywalker at its center. Yet even with Luke integrated into the story, the film feels like a significant letdown, one that does far less than its predecessor to stoke enthusiasm for the next leg in the trilogy.

[...]

And where "Force Awakens" director J.J. Abrams nicely set the table for this sequel, this film leaves Abrams (who will reprise that role on Episode IX) with his work cut out for him. The flaws also invite second-guessing about Lucasfilm's pre-release vote of confidence by anointing Johnson as the force behind a separate trilogy set in that far-away galaxy.

[...]

In crass commercial terms, no clairvoyance is necessary to predict that "The Last Jedi" will be a huge hit, blunting any criticism. Yet if "The Empire Strikes Back" stands as the defining chapter in the "Star Wars" saga, as second movies go, "Last Jedi" ranks closer to the "Attack of the Clones" end of the gene pool.

Can't wait for the Plinkett review on this one. :hyper

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1942 on: December 12, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
there's one spoiler i've seen that i've got no clue how they're going to justify:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
luke turns kylo evil by attempting to murder him in his sleep when he's a kid
[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #1943 on: December 12, 2017, 08:27:45 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1944 on: December 12, 2017, 08:34:30 PM »
David Watson
6 hours ago
painful experiemce after 4 minutes i got the fuck outta here , i just wanted a fucking review not shmuckery from you imbeciles because you milk it for every penny overdoing everything and it just gets way too fucking much to bear

Ian Fults
8 hours ago
I am sorry guys, but this is not funny, not impressed with your presentation and your voices irritated the daylights out of me.

Just my subjective opinion, but ya, you need to learn how to sound like you are not reading horribly written dialogue.

Annoyance Factor Infinity.

How you got 650K subs blows my mind, not quality that's for sure.

I am just blow away by how bad this was . .

MMA REBELZ
8 hours ago
so y’all just trolling

Pauladin Won
7 hours ago
There's a difference between satire and being complete utter idiocy. These guys are so fucking punchable.
nothing says salad like star wars

benjipwns

« Reply #1945 on: December 12, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/12/spoiler-free-star-wars-last-jedi-review/
There is obviously more to all of it than that, but this is spoiler-free, and going in with as little knowledge as possible makes for an optimal viewing experience.

There has been some worry among fans that Lucasfilm wasn’t giving their directors and writers any room to create their own movies. While many agreed that The Force Awakens was good, it did feel very similar to A New Hope. The Last Jedi is nothing like Empire Strikes Back, and in fact feels very much like Rogue One in that it’s extremely different. It takes risks from the first moment and opens up new doors in what the mythology of this world really is.

This is a character piece, and the moments of building are subtle and lovely to watch. We see our main heroes each go through new trials and tribulations that help shape the people they will become in future movies — in both good ways and bad. Director/writer Rian Johnson doesn’t just take risks; he does things with this movie that could easily be considered “unsafe” for brand management,
The cast continues to be the best part of this entire franchise. Any moment Carrie Fisher is on screen is just a reminder of what a wonderful actress and person we lost. It makes every one of her scenes that much more moving and heartbreaking. Hamill shows us a new side to Luke Skywalker and proves that he can take this character in new and believable directions. Ridley is a powerhouse in the role of Rey as we watch this young woman struggle to find her place in this world. Boyega and Tran are a great duo. Their story is fun and engaging to watch, with Tran clearly becoming the new heart of the series. Oscar Isaac‘s Poe Dameron grows in beautifully subtle ways and continues to steal every single scene he’s in. Newcomers Laura Dern and Benicio del Toro don’t have a ton of screen time, but Dern in particular is handed one of the best scenes in the movie. Driver and Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux continue to play wonderfully off of each other to the point where you want to ask them to lay their lightsabers on the table and get out a ruler to clear everything up.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi is an emotional roller coaster of a movie. It fakes you out with what you think is going to happen, and then completely flips that on its head. It expands the scope of what we think is capable from the Force in this universe. It sets up a new dynamic that is going to prove fascinating to watch in future movies. “This is not going to go the way you think,” is the best possible way to describe this gift of a film.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1946 on: December 12, 2017, 09:28:12 PM »
Shameful Star Wars prequel live journal reminiscence time:

When I saw The Phantom Menace in theaters, I didn't hate it. BUT I was not really a movie watcher then. We didn't have cable, my parents didn't buy/rent movies, we just had Disney movies on VHS and whatever was on CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX /UPN/Telemundo. It was a big deal to see movies in the theater, and I'm not gonna pretend like my palate was too refined for TPM. I was easily impressed.

Between TPM and AOTC, I got a DVD player and started watching a ton of movies. I was becoming a bit more jaded. BUT I was drinking the kool-aid from AICN, and they said it was the best Star Wars since ESB omg! And when I saw it, I still thought AOTC was pretty cool. I saw it with some friends, we were all like "woah, Yoda had a lightsaber and there were a million jedi, very cool!" Then I saw it again and I was like "damn, this love crap in the middle really drags on" but it still worth it for the awesome action scenes. Very cool! I couldn't wait to see it again on DVD. Then I saw it again on DVD and I was like "damn, this movie is really shit".

By the time ROTS came out, I was in full film-snob mode and I was not about to let George Lucas get one over on me again. I went in prepared to be unimpressed BUT...I wasn't. Impressed, that is, because the movie was kinda shit.  I'm willing to say that it was better than AOTC and TPM, but overuse of CGI and green screen, the terrible acting, and Lucas's tone deaf ear for dialog was finally too much and I don't think I've seen ROTS or any of the prequel movies in their entirety since then.

I have watched Ice Pirates on many occasions though, and might do so again at a moment's notice. Bruce Vilanch > Hayden Christensen
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1947 on: December 12, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
But Rumbler talked about Sci-Fi channel anime saturdays. But you say you didn't have cable in 1999 which was around the time that was broadcast. You said before you recorded anime from Sci-fi channel too! Who is lying?!
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1948 on: December 12, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
By 1999 we had cable, but it was a very recent thing. Cable was not available in our area at all before then. There was this weird proto-Direct TV service that people in our area had that was a tall antenna instead of a dish, but we didn't have it. We just had a regular antenna and we got about a dozen channels.
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #1949 on: December 12, 2017, 11:20:19 PM »
94% on rotten tomatoes, so I suppose that means it is even better than Ghostbuster 2016

benjipwns

« Reply #1950 on: December 13, 2017, 12:05:11 AM »
94% on rotten tomatoes, so I suppose that means it is even better than Ghostbuster 2016
Star Wars: The Last Jedi honors the saga's rich legacy while adding some surprising twists—and delivering all the emotion-rich action fans could hope for.

benjipwns

« Reply #1951 on: December 13, 2017, 12:12:19 AM »
include me in the group that would rather watch The Phantom Menace than Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith

if we could somehow swap out NOW THIS IS PODRACING and some other ANNIE related scenes (except for the ones that are funny for the wrong reasons) for Obi-Wan's elaborate detective work ("goes to the planet at the center of the conspiracy unlike everyone else and just asks the director about it") in AOTC, i'd make it definitive

some of my HS friends went to AOTC's midnight showing and the one immediately after and couldn't stop raving about it as so amazing, ESPECIALLY YODA AND THE BATTLES, and i just wanted it to end like halfway through...then ROTS i wanted to end like ten minutes in, but all the reviews at the time were hilarious, THE DARKEST, MOST POLITICAL OF THE STAR WARS FILMS though its RT score has degraded over the years it was like 88% or something at release

oh the W. years

Tasty

« Reply #1952 on: December 13, 2017, 12:36:20 AM »
ROTS's best part is those first 10 minutes tho

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1953 on: December 13, 2017, 12:51:17 AM »
David Watson
6 hours ago
painful experiemce after 4 minutes i got the fuck outta here , i just wanted a fucking review not shmuckery from you imbeciles because you milk it for every penny overdoing everything and it just gets way too fucking much to bear

Ian Fults
8 hours ago
I am sorry guys, but this is not funny, not impressed with your presentation and your voices irritated the daylights out of me.

Just my subjective opinion, but ya, you need to learn how to sound like you are not reading horribly written dialogue.

Annoyance Factor Infinity.

How you got 650K subs blows my mind, not quality that's for sure.

I am just blow away by how bad this was . .

MMA REBELZ
8 hours ago
so y’all just trolling

Pauladin Won
7 hours ago
There's a difference between satire and being complete utter idiocy. These guys are so fucking punchable.
nothing says salad like star wars
Robert sure has a lot of alts.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1954 on: December 13, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
Seems like the movie is good, not great, and I'm okay with that.  I haven't read any spoilers so I'm excited to be surprised on Thursday.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1955 on: December 13, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
aw fuck manabyte loves it, that means its terrible
püp

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #1956 on: December 13, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »
Massive fucking spoilers for Star Wars 8. Do not click link if you don't wish to be spoiled.

http://agirlwithwinter.tumblr.com/post/168508585959/as-requested-this-scene-happened-in-the-throne
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1957 on: December 13, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
 :lol

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1958 on: December 13, 2017, 09:33:28 PM »
holy shit the hate this movie is getting on resetera  :lol

I'm still really excited for it – loved TFA, enjoyed R1, and I love Rian Johnson's films...I expect a whirlwind of crazy shit and fun action.
püp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1959 on: December 13, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »
ROTS's best part is those first 10 minutes tho
There is no best part of that movie.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1960 on: December 13, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »
I'm basically going into this movie on Saturday with zero expectations.  :yeshrug

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1961 on: December 13, 2017, 10:37:14 PM »
I want to spoil myself just so I can spoil other people like my roommate who is hyped
dur

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #1962 on: December 13, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »

Whaaaat

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/12/entertainment/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review/index.html

If expectations for "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" were inordinately (and perhaps unfairly) high, thank "The Force Awakens," which had a huge donut hole in the shape of Luke Skywalker at its center. Yet even with Luke integrated into the story, the film feels like a significant letdown, one that does far less than its predecessor to stoke enthusiasm for the next leg in the trilogy.

[...]

And where "Force Awakens" director J.J. Abrams nicely set the table for this sequel, this film leaves Abrams (who will reprise that role on Episode IX) with his work cut out for him. The flaws also invite second-guessing about Lucasfilm's pre-release vote of confidence by anointing Johnson as the force behind a separate trilogy set in that far-away galaxy.

[...]

In crass commercial terms, no clairvoyance is necessary to predict that "The Last Jedi" will be a huge hit, blunting any criticism. Yet if "The Empire Strikes Back" stands as the defining chapter in the "Star Wars" saga, as second movies go, "Last Jedi" ranks closer to the "Attack of the Clones" end of the gene pool.

Can't wait for the Plinkett review on this one. :hyper
And this is why idiot "journalists" need to stop using and quoting Rottentomatoes scores. It's irrelevant garbage. Most of the reviews were like "ok, it's decent" and then there were some scathing ones like the CNN review. Most nobody but the hardest of popculture geeks loved this turd.

I hope every damn day that Disney eats a big one and Marvel and Star Wars collapse.

Himu

« Reply #1963 on: December 13, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »
So this is another Rogue One?
IYKYK

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #1964 on: December 13, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »
I'm certain that this is a pretty good movie. It's just that it seems as though they're shitting on everything that came before it. Can't make final judgement until I see the movie for myself though. I fucking love porgs.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1965 on: December 14, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »
Ralph McQuarrie styled Star Wars trailer. Pretty neat:
https://vimeo.com/246979354

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1966 on: December 14, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »
The one good thing to come from the Disney purchase of Fox is that we'll finally get those unmolested version Star Wars Original Trilogy Blurays. Maybe.
dog

Himu

« Reply #1967 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »
today is the day capitalism wins :brazilcry and it's no wonder it's Star Wars release day too! :brazilcry
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1968 on: December 14, 2017, 02:34:14 PM »
The one good thing to come from the Disney purchase of Fox is that we'll finally get those unmolested version Star Wars Original Trilogy Blurays. Maybe.

I always was under the impression than the Fox thing was an added problem on top but not necessarily the main cause for this ? I mean it's not like it was impossible to strike a deal with Fox, they obviously had to for the Special Editions, didn't they ?
Lucasfilm pretenses with regards to the status of negative copies for not scanning and do a digital restoration of the original were always fairly besides the point and oblique (see here for a small discussion : link). It's always better to scan elements as close to the source as possible for image quality but really many a film digital versions has been mainly sourced in the brown/lavender copy or some interpositive or internegative (if only because of availability and lost original material) for excellent final results. It's hard to believe none of those are around, especially for someone as technically minded than Lucas.

Anyway my point is that the refusal to do so from Lucasfilm part has always been fairly opaque. They were attributed to Lucas ego and kookiness but really it's not that uncommon that an altered so called "superior" edit (or color grading) will get used for most all upcoming releases if only by virtue of having a more recent video master and probably to avoid dividing and confusing consumers with several versions of a same product. What I mean is that Lucasfilm might not be inclined to do so even with Lucas out of the picture and might want to keep the same policy in place, though it's not impossible being reliant on Fox impeded any greenlight for such a work too.

I wouldn't dare to make a quotation but it's hard to imagine that a full restoration of the films wouldn't at least be north of a million or two (even with some work already being done in preparation of the SE). A drop in a bucket for Disney-Marvel-Lucasfilm-Fox, but they didn't get rich by spending money, you know ? It seems the first priority for them now is to expand the franchise instead of milking the original material (which already was profited from quite a bit) and not to lean too heavy on it to avoid any risk of fatigue.

I'm sure however they'll indulge at one point, probably for one last big money grab before the original fans kick the bucket themselves.
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1969 on: December 14, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »
I want to spoil myself just so I can spoil other people like my roommate who is hyped

I'm so exhausted by Star Wars shit that I'm tempted to blow it for everyone anywhere I can out of spite. I'm not quite there but I don't think I can stop myself next year

Cryo

« Reply #1970 on: December 14, 2017, 06:41:51 PM »

I'm so exhausted by Star Wars shit that I'm tempted to blow it for everyone anywhere I can out of spite. I'm not quite there but I don't think I can stop myself next year
pls PM or post the plot so I can read it and not think about it during my hellish weekend of final exams

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1971 on: December 14, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
don't want to be a moany old cunt who has a haughty opinion based off webms and leaks so i'm off to give it a fair shout at the biggest screen i can find, will report back.

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #1972 on: December 14, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »
a guy in work told me today he gives attack of the clones 8/10.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #1973 on: December 14, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »
Gross.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1974 on: December 14, 2017, 07:18:25 PM »
I've only seen TFA once, and while I didn't like it at least it's a competent film. The writing isn't terrible, the acting is good, there's some nice humor, there are a couple nice action sequences, etc. Whereas the prequels are just bad. GRANTED I liked TPM when it first came out; I saw it on the first day....but on subsequent views it became clear it wasn't good (with the only redeeming factor being Darth Maul).

AOTC was worse, which makes it the worst Star Wars film. Everything that was bad about TPM is amplified, and there is no redeeming factor or interesting bit here or there. ROTS certainly has some redeeming qualities but overall is one of the worst written films I've ever seen.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1975 on: December 14, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »
I ended up not liking a lot about this movie sadly, how much are we allowed to talk about it in this thread?

Just spoiler tag it.
yar

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #1976 on: December 14, 2017, 09:29:28 PM »
How drunk does Daisy Ridley seem in this? According to blind items she’s pretty much always wasted.
serge

Cryo

« Reply #1977 on: December 14, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »
wtf I have no PMs  :(

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #1978 on: December 14, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
It felt like a tale from Star Wars. So much stuff seemed so unimportant, and some of it seemed so far-fetched and unbelievable it was difficult to take seriously. Other things were so hard-hitting and impactful that there were some strains of a good movie about conflict, but other parts just made those scenes feel flat.

I'm just doing a stream of consciousness through voice recognition, so I'm sure this all sounds very strange. I think it was a good tale, but just not a good movie.

I'm not sure what happened during this entire movie that really changed anything at all from the end of the last movie.

Those of you who have seen it please tell me I'm crazy, but Leia does something so unbelievably silly, far-fetched, and outside from what I understand of this universe, that it really put me off for the rest of the film.
rub

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1979 on: December 14, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
Best star wars since empire strike back  :rejoice
Drunk