Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 550880 times)

Himu

Re: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!
« Reply #5700 on: January 08, 2023, 01:21:31 AM »
Watched Phantom Menace for the first time since 1999 and....I liked it?

I actually think it's better than the sequel trilogy.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 01:26:19 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5701 on: January 08, 2023, 01:24:10 AM »
Because, outside of Jar Jar, it's actually got some good characters. Prequels shit the bed from Attack of the Clones.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5702 on: January 08, 2023, 01:29:49 AM »
It actually wasn't as bad as the Plinkett review made it out to be. I  have actual bad memories tied to this movie (friend died the week after it came out and it was the last movie we saw together) so I've only seen it once before this.

Honestly even Jar Jar isn't bad. He acts as a good foil to the Jedi. Without the droids there's no comedy relief. TPM has less droids overall so he acts as a replacement. It works for what it is imo.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 03:10:26 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5703 on: January 08, 2023, 11:54:09 AM »
Mandalorian s2 is utterly horrific.

It's like a video game. Mando asks for help, someone says,"sure thing....if you help us first" almost every damn episode. It's like an open world video game with sidequests and it's the most tedious shit ever how they're trying to serialize something that was so episodic and benefited from that story format.

It makes me worry they'll fuck up Andor s2.

The videogameness complete quest and move on of Mando isn't the reason S2 feels like a big dip in quality, its the fact that every quest feels like a promo for DLC (or to abandon the videogames metaphor, it feels a suspiciously awfully lot like a string of stealth pilot episodes for a new streaming service that needs a lot of Content quickly and isn't sure what to greenlight).

Ep 1: Why hello TIMOTHY OLYPHANT, you seem like a Character with an Engaging Backstory that would make a fine TV show about Frontier Justice as a sheriff, other commitments permitting!
Ep 3: Why hello KATEE SACKHOFF, you seem like a Character with an Engaging Backstory that would make a fine TV show about a renegade group of Mandalorians fighting different kinds of battles, and those BSG star bookings are drying up!
Ep 4: Hello again GINA CARRANO, you seem like a Character with an Engaging Backstory that would make a fine TV show about ongoing efforts to clean up the Empire, just don't say anything about The Jews or The Gays on Twitter!
Ep 5: Why hello ROSARIO DAWSON, you seem like a Character with an Engaging Backstory that would make a fine TV show about contemporary Jedi, and, oh, your series is already greenlit. Cool!
Ep6: Why hello BOBA FETT, anyone already watching this knows who you are, but none of the questions we have are answered. Also, you seem weirdly fatter and older than we remember, and curiously adverse to wearing your fucking helmet as per your Actors Guild Contract Negotitations for the series you also have already greenlit. Mysterious! In a way that your character no longer is.

Like... I'm an averageish Star Wars fan, in that I've seen the films but haven't imbibed any of the extended universe shit outside of a couple of games, and most of these castings are for characters that are already fan favorites in the extended universe AFAIK, but it really seems like they hijacked the fucking main characters show to pitch a load of possible new shows.

Tasty

« Reply #5704 on: January 08, 2023, 12:36:15 PM »
It actually wasn't as bad as the Plinkett review made it out to be. I  have actual bad memories tied to this movie (friend died the week after it came out and it was the last movie we saw together) so I've only seen it once before this.

Honestly even Jar Jar isn't bad. He acts as a good foil to the Jedi. Without the droids there's no comedy relief. TPM has less droids overall so he acts as a replacement. It works for what it is imo.

Mostly it just fails at a lot of basic filmmaking techniques that you think George Lucas would have picked up or retained by then. The entire thing felt more like a tech demo than anything, and the choice to set it when Anakin was only 10 bizarre as well. They do a time skip for the next movie and so basically almost nothing in the first one really matters.

The sequel trilogy is just rehashed nostalgia bate, taken to 11 with the last one.

Himu

« Reply #5705 on: January 08, 2023, 01:02:55 PM »
Mandalorian s2 is utterly horrific.

It's like a video game. Mando asks for help, someone says,"sure thing....if you help us first" almost every damn episode. It's like an open world video game with sidequests and it's the most tedious shit ever how they're trying to serialize something that was so episodic and benefited from that story format.

It makes me worry they'll fuck up Andor s2.

The videogameness complete quest and move on of Mando isn't the reason S2 feels like a big dip in quality, its the fact that every quest feels like a promo for DLC (or to abandon the videogames metaphor, it feels a suspiciously awfully lot like a string of stealth pilot episodes for a new streaming service that needs a lot of Content quickly and isn't sure what to greenlight).

Ep 1: Why hello TIMOTHY OLYPHANT, you seem like a Character with an Engaging Backstory that would make a fine TV show about Frontier Justice as a sheriff, other commitments permitting!
Ep 3: Why hello KATEE SACKHOFF, you seem like a Character with an Engaging Backstory that would make a fine TV show about a renegade group of Mandalorians fighting different kinds of battles, and those BSG star bookings are drying up!
Ep 4: Hello again GINA CARRANO, you seem like a Character with an Engaging Backstory that would make a fine TV show about ongoing efforts to clean up the Empire, just don't say anything about The Jews or The Gays on Twitter!
Ep 5: Why hello ROSARIO DAWSON, you seem like a Character with an Engaging Backstory that would make a fine TV show about contemporary Jedi, and, oh, your series is already greenlit. Cool!
Ep6: Why hello BOBA FETT, anyone already watching this knows who you are, but none of the questions we have are answered. Also, you seem weirdly fatter and older than we remember, and curiously adverse to wearing your fucking helmet as per your Actors Guild Contract Negotitations for the series you also have already greenlit. Mysterious! In a way that your character no longer is.

Like... I'm an averageish Star Wars fan, in that I've seen the films but haven't imbibed any of the extended universe shit outside of a couple of games, and most of these castings are for characters that are already fan favorites in the extended universe AFAIK, but it really seems like they hijacked the fucking main characters show to pitch a load of possible new shows.

I have no idea what those other shows are about. I've paid so little attention to Star Wars I don't even know what shows these could be pilots for.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5706 on: January 08, 2023, 01:19:28 PM »
I have no idea what those other shows are about. I've paid so little attention to Star Wars I don't even know what shows these could be pilots for.

Those other shows would have been / will be / are taking that episode as a pilot episode, then more of the same, but with those newly introduced characters as the stars and mando maybe guest starring the ocasional episode down the line.

Its why they get called stealth pilots - the networks not sure if theres an audience for that show, so they effectively do a pilot for a new show as a one off episode in an existing show, to see if the interest is there but without committing to actually filming a pilot.

Normally you don't get an entire season of episodes that are blatant stealth pilots though :stahp

Himu

« Reply #5707 on: January 08, 2023, 01:52:40 PM »

Mostly it just fails at a lot of basic filmmaking techniques that you think George Lucas would have picked up or retained by then. The entire thing felt more like a tech demo than anything, and the choice to set it when Anakin was only 10 bizarre as well. They do a time skip for the next movie and so basically almost nothing in the first one really matters.

The sequel trilogy is just rehashed nostalgia bate, taken to 11 with the last one.

Why is setting it when Anakin was 10 bizarre? What filmmaking techniques are missing?

Honestly, looking back, most of Plinkett's criticisms are kind of horse shit. Start with his complaint there's no one main character. Qui Gon Jin is obviously the main character and he's pretty good at being one, as he's the moral center of the film. His interactions with every single character is good. The Queen is pretty good too and shows humility and character in the face of what you would picture to be a stoic queen, and yet she's the opposite. Anakin has some really good moments. The claim he has no idea what's at stake is false. The problem was turning his run in the star ship into a "I have no idea what I'm doing!" in the space craft after the podrace was questionable, however. It's a pretty good movie with pacing issues but it's better than most big budget movies of the past ten years. The relationship between Padme and Anakin's innocent beginnings, the Master/Apprentice parallel, Palpatine's rise, the world building on Tatooine, everything involving the Jedi Council are all pretty good. It's pretty good movie if you want more Star Wars. Nothing more, nothing less.

In fact I'd argue it's better than A New Hope, which has its issues, or at least on par. Qui Gon jin is a great main character and I vastly prefer Padme to Leia in ANH. ANH is mostly saved by the vastly superior Empire and Jedi.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 02:04:49 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #5708 on: January 08, 2023, 03:55:23 PM »
 :lol
What

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5709 on: January 08, 2023, 05:23:30 PM »
imagine the phantom menace with anakin at age 16 and already world-weary from a life of slavery and the whole series improves dramatically

- makes sense that he had time to learn to build a droid

- makes sense that he had time to become an expert pilot

- more time to develop a stronger attachment to his mother, which is significant in his downfall later

- less creepy having attraction between him and padme ("are you an angel" could even still be in, but as a terrible pick up line)

- makes more sense that the jedi would reject him for already being too old for training

- doesn't completely deflate vader by showing us when he was a cute silly child

- word is that lucas was even already looking at teen actors for the part until he made that dumb decision

seriously just mentally cast a slightly older actor and imagine the movie, it's awesome
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #5710 on: January 08, 2023, 07:32:23 PM »
I agree. It would have seriously elevated the movie.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 07:41:42 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5711 on: January 08, 2023, 08:51:02 PM »
Watched Attack of the Clones and it's better and more cogent than any of the sequel movies. I said what I said.  I liked it.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5712 on: January 08, 2023, 10:07:34 PM »
Watched Attack of the Clones and it's better and more cogent than any of the sequel movies. I said what I said.  I liked it.
You can't complain about Mandalorian S2 having video game fetch quests without referencing the literal 2D side-scrolling video game stage smack bang in the middle of AotC.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5713 on: January 08, 2023, 10:33:07 PM »
You can't complain about Mandalorian S2 having video game fetch quests without referencing the literal 2D side-scrolling video game stage smack bang in the middle of AotC.

I sure can complain. Mando s2 is a multi episode tv show. Episode II is a complete movie with a mostly cogent core. No nonsensical Canto Blght quests like TLJ either and unlike the sequel trilogy the characters fall naturally in their place.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5714 on: January 08, 2023, 10:34:31 PM »

I sure can complain. Mando s2 is a multi episode tv show. Episode II is a complete movie with a mostly cogent core. No nonsensical Canto Blght quests like TLJ either and unlike the sequel trilogy the characters fall naturally in their place.
Terrible movie though.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #5715 on: January 08, 2023, 10:36:24 PM »
Terrible is stretching it I think. It's flawed but enjoyable and more cogent than any of the sequel movies. Finn and Poe are barely characters. Obi Wan, Anakin, Padme as a trio run laps on Rey, Finn, and Poe. Obi Wan's detective story contrasted with Anakin falling to the dark side and killing Tuskan's is good, entertaining shit.

Main criticism is how lazy the filmmaking is. Two camera set up very scene.

Note that because I don't think it's terrible doesn't mean I think it's great or even good. It's just fair, average, and enjoyable.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:52:10 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5716 on: January 09, 2023, 02:43:53 PM »
Watched Revenge of the Sith.

I hadn't seen any of these movies beyond the theatres and honestly it was pretty good experience and I really liked watching them. Revenge of the Sith is one of the best movies in the franchise. Sequel trilogy is leaps and bounds worse than the prequels and it's not even close.

Have to finish Mando s2 which sucks, then I'll start Clone Wars - something I've never seen. Glad to love SW again. I've been itching to replay KOTOR.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #5718 on: April 05, 2023, 06:18:56 PM »
I knocked it on the head after the first two terribly dull episodes, glad to see and hear it's only gotten worse.

It's amazing how they've seemingly tanked something that had an easy formula for success.
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5719 on: April 05, 2023, 07:52:26 PM »
I, for one, am excited to see how far down Disney can take Star Wars before someone has the sense to fire everyone responsible for killing the golden goose.
Spud

NekoFever

« Reply #5720 on: April 06, 2023, 06:08:39 AM »
It's baffling how bad it's been. Especially considering, for all their flaws, Disney's shepherding of the Marvel movies has been pretty good. They all fit together and clearly have a goal in mind.

It's got to be a lack of planning. They started the sequel trilogy with no clue how it was going to go and ended up with three average at best films that barely fit together. Both the spin-off films were radically reworked in production. Mando was a breath of fresh air at first but seasons 2 and 3 (and BOBF) have been aimless crap. Andor was admittedly great but so was the first season of The Mandalorian so IDK.

Think back to when Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced a sequel trilogy and spin-off films between numbered instalments, and I couldn't see how they could fail.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #5721 on: April 06, 2023, 06:03:36 PM »
I still enjoyed Mando szn 2 for what it was and didn't hate Bob a Fett (after it turned into the Mandolorian series 2.5 anyway).
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5722 on: April 06, 2023, 06:21:02 PM »
it's weird because I feel like the types of stories I see in the above clips are fine and a decent way to expand the star wars universe beyond force users and lightsabers and evil empire

as noticed by richard evans long ago now, star wars is very small, and there are ways to expand it, hell george lucas did a decent job making the universe bigger in the prequels, one of the few things they did right

I'm ok with two different alien species falling in love and a conflict arising due to that

but the problem with the above clips is it's written so shittily and shot like an SNL skit and overall just embarrassing to look at

is star wars doomed to be cringey when it expands, but boring when it sticks to already-covered ground?

I guess what was shown above would be fine if they were episodes of the cartoon show instead, make it explicit that it's for kids
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5723 on: April 06, 2023, 07:03:59 PM »
I think the Star Wars magic has simply run out. It's just no longer unique in a variety of super hero, sci-fi and cinematic universes.

All they can do is make contentTM in the same family friendly milquetoast Disney style with a different coat of paint.
With the Mandalorian they had an interesting angle but they milked that dry already.

There's just nothing at this stage that sets is apart, no innovative filming, practical effects or storytelling techniques like the original Star Wars trilogy, no groundbreaking CG animation like they had in the prequels.
Star Wars pre-Disney was always about pushing new things. 
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #5724 on: April 06, 2023, 07:15:52 PM »
George Lucas is only 78, throw all the money at him again for a new trilogy before it's too late :trumps
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5725 on: April 06, 2023, 07:16:47 PM »
Things that other films brought to the table that could've been Star Wars innovations:
- '2 perspectives' from The Last Duel (a movie showing the events from the perspective of both a Sith(Kylo Ren) and Jedi(Rey) leaving the audience to decide if they side with the dark side or the Jedi)
- a 'single take' like 1917 (we follow a hero character throughout a massive battle that seamlessly translates between the planet surface and space dogfights in the 'single take' format)
- Choose your own adventure like Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (during the film you can decide how the story plays out by making 'Mass Effect' like morality choices (will you end up as a Renegade Sith or as a Paragon Jedi?)
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5726 on: April 06, 2023, 07:34:00 PM »
"if Rey should join Kylo, please proceed to theater #4 down the hall to your right where your Choose-A-Film™ will resume shortly"
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5727 on: April 06, 2023, 10:19:54 PM »
Mandalorian just needed to be a space western with monster of the week episodes interspersed between an overarching story arc focusing on Mando bringing down the big bad Moff Gideon who is trying to regather and revive the remnants of the Empire in the outer run, far from the New Republic's influence.

They could still have the Mandalore stuff, but just make it a character focused western/samurai gunslinger style show.

Pulp shit like it was supposed to be.
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #5728 on: April 07, 2023, 04:59:20 AM »
Pretty much. hasnt the Mando been cucked by Dana Walsh from 24 now anyway, might as well out a bullet in it if it's gone down the on the nose woke hack path.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 08:44:09 AM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5729 on: April 07, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »
Fucking LOL

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/apr/07/star-wars-three-new-films-lucasfilm-daisy-ridley-rey

Star Wars announces three new films on the way, with Daisy Ridley to return as Rey

Lucasfilm has announced three new live-action films, and confirmed the return of Ridley’s Rey to build ‘a new Jedi Order’

They learned nothing...
Spud

NekoFever

« Reply #5730 on: April 07, 2023, 02:34:04 PM »
Somehow Rey returned

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5731 on: April 07, 2023, 02:38:44 PM »
The two new films will be overseen by the James Mangold, the director of Logan, and Dave Filoni, the co-creator of The Mandalorian TV series and director of the 2008 computer animated feature Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Kennedy said that Mangold’s movie will “tell the tale of the first Jedi to wield the Force and harness it as a liberating power in an era of chaos and oppression”, while Filoni’s film is about “the escalating war between the Imperial Remnant and the fledgling New Republic” and will “close out the interconnected stories told in The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and other Disney+ series”.
The third film to be announced, a project to be directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, has been known about for some time, but appears to have been dogged by changes of direction and staff departures. Obaid-Chinoy’s film will take place 15 years after The Rise of Skywalker and feature Daisy Ridley returning in the role of Rey; it will “tell the story of rebuilding the New Jedi Order and the powers that rise to tear it down”. Lucasfilm recently announced that Peaky Blinders’ Steven Knight had replaced Damon Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson as writers on that film.
:wut

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 02:51:06 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #5732 on: April 07, 2023, 05:37:20 PM »
I bet 2 of those end up getting shit canned. I'm guessing the origins,one males it due to a lack of baggage, the Mando crossover thing will probably about end up being retooled as a Disney plus thing, and lolwho wants to see a Rey film she fucking sux and no one who isn't a hard Disney dickrider thinks otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 06:25:07 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5733 on: April 15, 2023, 03:32:24 AM »
Catching up on last two mandalorians episodes and holy shit that e6 intro!!!

LMFAO!

Edit: OMFG, it does get worse. It's Reeeeesetera paradise with Jack Black

Edit edit: Jesus fuck that was bad
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 04:07:36 AM by Potato »
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #5735 on: May 25, 2023, 02:27:45 AM »
Look, Vader was his dad. Discount Vader was the son of the dude who stole his girlfriend.

« Reply #5736 on: August 24, 2023, 01:58:21 AM »
Ahsoka Star Wars the Star War is out and boy! is Sabine Wren wacky!

She doesn't go to the speech like she's 'sposed to! She just rides her speeder bike and almost kills herself and a pilot who tries to stop her.

And she's not 'sposed to take the mcguffin off the ship! But there she goes, taking it off the ship.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Survives stab wound because of course lightsabers aren't lethal.
[close]

First two episodes should be titled Ahsoka's Pal Sabine Doesn't Listen.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴