Author Topic: It's 20XX and people are mad online about Star War!  (Read 550874 times)

zomgee

• We've *all*
Re: How bout that Star War huh?
« Reply #1980 on: December 14, 2017, 10:53:29 PM »
Yup you nailed it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I mean who the hell is Snoke!? What the hell is Phasma? Is the first order clinically distinguished mentally-challenged? Why do they fall for the same thing in the same film over and over?

DOES THE FIRST ORDER ONLY HAVE 5 SHIPS? We have to chase the rebel capital ships at impulse speeds because we can't hit them from a distance... Could you maybe call a couple other ships? Flank them?
[close]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:58:19 PM by zomgee »
rub

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1981 on: December 14, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
 :trash sounds like some mickey mouse bullshit  :-\

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1982 on: December 14, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »
I personally loved it
püp

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #1983 on: December 14, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »
Remember this part in Star Wars:

Good guy goes to bad guys base to try and change bad guy
Good guy calls bad guy by his real first name in order to imply that the bad guy could be good
"I sense the good in you"
Bad guy handcuffs good guy to take good guy up an elevator to meet the super bad guy
Super bad guy torments good guy in front of bad guy, changing the bad guys mind about good guy and super bad guy
Bad guy has a change of heart and kills super bad guy at the last minute

Bad guy takes his shirt off and shows his giant baby body to good guy - well that's only in this film

Let's send a small squad directly into the bad guys base to take out the thing generator
The maybe good maybe bad guy take a pile of of money instead of helping
The good guys take on AT-ATs with little ships that weren't meant to take on AT-ATs
Capital ships attack a rebel base from space but the rebel ships escape at the last moment
[close]
rub

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #1984 on: December 14, 2017, 11:30:09 PM »
I *liked* it. I'm also not in this moive's age group any more.
rub

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #1985 on: December 14, 2017, 11:40:37 PM »
Has George Lucas shit on this one yet? The only comment I see so far is that he said it was “beautifully made” or something, which is kind of passive-aggressive, but I want something juicer.
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1986 on: December 14, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »
I give TLJ props for crapping on the Prequel Trilogy Jedi Order as well as derpy internet fan theories.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1987 on: December 14, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »
I hope Episode IX opens with Poe's court martial and execution. He committed treason and mutiny and was indirectly responsible for hundreds of people's death and the resistance almost getting destroyed because of his and Finn's dumbass plan. What a lovable rogue!  :lol
[close]

This movie was ridiculous. :neogaf
©@©™

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1988 on: December 14, 2017, 11:58:58 PM »
odd experience, not sure i can be bothered to do a full write up. i didn't hate it like i thought i might, but it definitely has the mark of rian johnson all over it. take that for what you will.

on the occasion that the film just plays it straight down the line it generally succeeds, shame those moments are so frequently bookended by marvel quips or groanworthy clunkers ("
we are the spark that will light the fire that will burn the first order down
[close]
"). it's a film that betrays itself in a lot of ways. i could special fellow out a whole essay on world building and how the first order now being the reigning power and the republic being overtly referred to as "the rebellion" makes absolutely fuck all sense, but it's endemic of the film's desire to present situations or characters without being bothered to do the legwork.

luke is the key example of this. while his character seems to based more on crotchety old con-going mark hamill than anything george lucas wrote down, i'm not entire opposed to the idea of him being a sarcastic beaten man begging for a redemption arc, but you have to do a bit more legwork for that than just saying
i failed with kylo
[close]
over and over. this film just can't be bothered with that, which is surprising considering it's got time for entirely pointless dr who and decadent alien animal abusers sideplot.

daisy ridley continues to be awful and you yanks are lucky that her accent puts a degree of separation in there because she is literally drama GCSE tier and can't maneuver even the simplest lines without looking like a startled backpacker on her gap year. adam driver on the other hand is fantastic throughout and the beating heart of the film for me, despite being a conflicted pissbaby he's the only thing resembling a credible threat (
after snoke was offed at least
[close]
). fisher was bizarre and i must admit i wondered if they got her fresh corpse in an propped her up for a few scenes her acting was so stilted and wooden. the moment matey talked about above was probably the single worst moment in a star wars film, which suffers equally from the lack of said legwork and just being visually hilarious.

there are some absolutely visually stunning moments in this film, and thematic crescendos that should hit hard, but again each one seems to have a line or moment that takes you out of it. (
the AT ATs shooting at "luke" only for him to walk out of it and do a god awful MCU shoulder flick
[close]
)

all these moments of insincerity add up and you just end up feeling like the stakes are ankle high. the first order seems to be made of 99% incompetent preening boobs (
serkis's snoke is a wonderful scenery chewing homage to the emperor and i just wish they could've let serkis play him au natural instead of monster mash CGI, but once he's gone it's like every 80s cartoon where you have a one smart bad guy and his troop of dufuses - minus the one smart guy
[close]
). it leaves the lanscape in an entirely familiar situation with the message of "this is just the beginning" like a horrible foreboding for anyone hoping for some kind of resolve rather than just endless episodes for eternity.

you can take the exact same treatment and make a very good film out of it. you can take the exact same moments and with a bit of narrative establishment and more careful handwriting make something great.  as it is it's just a frequently enjoyable but ultimately baffling, insincere and as a result largely emotionally ineffective experience which often feels like it's already got one foot in an MCU crossover.

i think i might feel knocked back if i really enjoyed TFA and thought it was going to be the foundation of a classic series, but i already felt like the writing was on the wall back then.

my favourite two things about this film were ade edmonson being in it and that the skiff flyers were proper pieces of shit and what a
lame fuck up
[close]
that whole attack was after being all over the trailers.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:15:56 AM by headwalk »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1989 on: December 15, 2017, 12:00:47 AM »
Laura Dern is a hero, burn in hell Poe.  :salute
[close]
©@©™

Freyj

« Reply #1990 on: December 15, 2017, 02:44:11 AM »
yoda scene being the best scene despite being an easy nostalgia target is telling
[close]

everything to do with Finn, Rose and 80-90% of Poe should’ve not been in this movie
[close]

rlm gonna tear this thing a new asshole if Mike doesn’t unfathomably love it

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1991 on: December 15, 2017, 02:47:48 AM »
was there a reason given the new order couldn't just jump some ships to the other side of the rebel cruiser and just wait for them?
[close]

Freyj

« Reply #1992 on: December 15, 2017, 03:13:59 AM »
People praising the Finn / Rose plot as “amazing” completely baffles me.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1993 on: December 15, 2017, 03:21:31 AM »
People praising the Finn / Rose plot as “amazing” completely baffles me.

I thought it was ok, the truly awful thing for me

was the stupid fucking "chase." So dumb. And Poe... if his character learned nothing from all of that, he's the fucking worst. I agree with Joe, he should be court martialed and executed.
[close]
yar

Freyj

« Reply #1994 on: December 15, 2017, 03:24:32 AM »
All three should be for murdering the pacing and enjoyment of this movie.

also what the fuck happened to the Knights of Ren?
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1995 on: December 15, 2017, 05:47:59 AM »
Remember this part in Star Wars:

Bad guy takes his shirt off and shows his giant baby body to good guy - well that's only in this film
[close]
:phil

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi honors the saga's rich legacy while adding some surprising twists—and delivering all the emotion-rich action fans could hope for" confirmed.

Borealis

« Reply #1996 on: December 15, 2017, 06:27:41 AM »
All three should be for murdering the pacing and enjoyment of this movie.

also what the fuck happened to the Knights of Ren?
[close]

I suspect:

They're totally the Royal Guards defending Snoke.  :nintendo

But in reality, another dropped plot thread. Johnson positions the film as some sort of auteur 'subversion' to Star Wars canon and lore, but it really comes across as a rather bloated, internally inconsistent, and poorly-paced follow-up to TFA.
[close]

Marhunchy

« Reply #1997 on: December 15, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
the fact that there's a whole subplot/theme against the 1% in a Star Wars flick made by Disney/LucasArts  :delicious :delicious :delicious

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #1998 on: December 15, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
the fact that there's a whole subplot/theme against the 1% in a Star Wars flick made by Disney/LucasArts  :delicious :delicious :delicious

"Yeah but they deserved it."

It's a kids movie!
rub

Freyj

« Reply #1999 on: December 15, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »
I like that the defense of a lot of the nonsense this film pulls is already boiling down to “IT BROKE NEW GROUND”. I think TFA will be remembered positively if not quite ANH / ESB and TLJ will age poorly. Really up to IX to determine if any of this trilogy is worth a shit at this point.

I think there’s probably a way to migrate Finn into Rey’s plot lines, cut the Resistance scenes by 80% at least and still have your “Rey and Finn are nobodies and they’re saving the galaxy” message in a considerably better balanced and paced movie.
[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2000 on: December 15, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »
Hah, definitely expected a lot of people to hate it or at least not like it as much as TFA.  I liked TFA more, but I really enjoyed TLJ and appreciate the much needed shakeup and risk to the series.
püp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2001 on: December 15, 2017, 11:47:28 AM »
Like who would even be the 1% in the galaxy at this point? Didn't they kill like a hundred billion people and the population center of the New Republic in TFA already? The whole state of the galaxy makes like no sense to me, this probably made it even worse than TFA.

Personally, I'd look at the dudes with the resources to covertly build such a superweapon as a serious nominee. I mean, that thing did more than the Death Stars ever accomplished and those had the full resources of the Empire backing them, not some kind of Empire leftovers plus an Empire fan club organization.

Though Star Wars' film era galactic politics have never made much sense.

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #2002 on: December 15, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
This movie needed like a page... 30 rewrite. I thought the beginning was great.

It all starts going downhill once it turns into Battlestar Galactica.
[close]
Your existence deserves a rewrite. Keep shilling the most experienced candidate of all time and leave my Star Wars alone. Thanks.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2003 on: December 15, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »
Your existence deserves a rewrite. Keep shilling the most experienced candidate of all time and leave my Star Wars alone. Thanks.
STFU Junior

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #2004 on: December 15, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
The whole movie is a lesson in the fallacy of hero worship, IMO.
Finn/Rose subplot was entirely too long and Leia should have died in the vaccum of space. Rey spent entirely too much time in the basement of Lukes creepy jedi island. Other than that, I fucking loved it.
[close]

Marhunchy

« Reply #2005 on: December 15, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »

"Yeah but they deserved it."

It's a kids movie!

But the kids were already happy because they freed the running horsecats!

I think i became a little too jaded for this kind of movies

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2006 on: December 15, 2017, 01:38:45 PM »
What did they walk back on?
püp

Freyj

« Reply #2007 on: December 15, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
At least

Poe learnt his lesson at the end of the movie after killing thousands of people and half his crew twice when facing down ATATs with skiffs
[close]

Freyj

« Reply #2008 on: December 15, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »
I don’t think I give any fucks about anyone left alive in these movies except Rey and Kylo now and even then I don’t know where they can go with that that now that isn’t yet more RotJ level pointlessness leading to the inevitable final battle sequence.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2009 on: December 15, 2017, 03:28:43 PM »
I like how Phasma was hyped up to be some badass but then she just had a small role and did nothing in TFA (*cough*Boba Fett, Darth Maul) but then they brought her back for basically no reason other than to reassure the audience that Han and Finn didn’t kill her, then they had her just do nothing again and die for real(?) this time.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2010 on: December 15, 2017, 04:16:30 PM »
hmm.  I understand what you mean but I don't really agree.

I think filmcritichulk captures my love for it well:

https://filmcrithulk.blog/2017/12/15/the-force-belongs-to-us-the-last-jedis-beautiful-refocusing-of-star-wars/

but...again, that's just me
püp

Freyj

« Reply #2011 on: December 15, 2017, 04:30:07 PM »
I like how Phasma was hyped up to be some badass but then she just had a small role and did nothing in TFA (*cough*Boba Fett, Darth Maul) but then they brought her back for basically no reason other than to reassure the audience that Han and Finn didn’t kill her, then they had her just do nothing again and die for real(?) this time.

I’ll be truly astonished if she doesn’t come back one final time in IX and be just as pointless.

Himu

« Reply #2012 on: December 15, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »
This was unwashed butt cheeks and barely above Rogue One which was already prequel tier.

In fact, they suffer from similar issues. I think TLJ might even be worse. Every character is fucking stupid except Luke, Leia, and the Vice-Admiral. I agree with Luke: it's time for Star Wars to just die already.

IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2013 on: December 15, 2017, 05:29:11 PM »
damn, I don't think I've ever encountered such a divide between critics and fans.

I kinda love it.
püp

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2014 on: December 15, 2017, 06:16:19 PM »
These new movies have all the consistency and internal logic of watching a child (or thirtysomething "collector") laying out their star wars playsets and making up a story up as they go along. Shit just happens because it happens, if you get bored with the story just ignore it and make up something else, characters interact because those were the action figures they had in their hands at the time.

Although I do think it's hilarious how the filmmakers seem to have a hard on for turning all the beloved original characters into washed-up failures, and refusing to film even one single scene with all of them together.
sup

etiolate

« Reply #2015 on: December 15, 2017, 06:21:01 PM »
A sensed a disturbance in the force.

Discovered that someone's tweets are protected.  :bobby

Himu

« Reply #2016 on: December 15, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »
Let's be real.

Characters - Every character is a moron except Luke, Leia, and the Vice-Admiral. Even the Vice Admiral barely makes that list because she left the fleet like sitting ducks without so much as a description as to what their plan was. Poe is a fucking idiot and should be executed. That's been covered.Finn and Rose are also fucking idiots. Not only do they not complete their mission but they completely fuck it up and get caught for a pointless reason. Their entire side story was dreadful. The "love you" at the end between them wasn't earned. Before then, they just made jokes and went on some dumb ass overly adventure. Love tho? Really? Snoke is stupid. Rey is stupid. Ben is stupid. Almost every character here does something without thinking first. It doesn't feel like Star Wars. It feels like some Marvel movie in terms of characterization. Luke and BB-8 are literally the only competent fuckers around in this movie.

Themes - The theme of placing hopes and dreams on heroic sacrifice and hero worship could have made for a good movie. Except the film muddles its own ideas because 1. Luke saves the rebellion by acting as a hero to sacrifice himself for the Rebellion, and 2. so does the Vice Admiral. So its themes don't work. So what is it trying to say? Don't rely on legends, don't rely on heroes except...some of the time? This is bat fucking distinguished mentally-challenged. As it is, this makes the story completely incoherent. You could throw in the the theme about light and darkness and how all is one, but the movie doens't really go anywhere with it and it still plays with binary Star Wars, especially since Kylo stays with the First Order and is still very much a bad guy. I was hoping for a hint that the Force - the TRUE Force - blends light and dark together to complete a balanced whole or play with Rey's darkness, and it was just one giant cheeseburger cock tease. As it is, the themes are dog shit and feel rushed.

Story and pacing - I was so fucking bored. Almost every sequence is high thrills. Much like with TFA (which I give credit to for being the first in a trilogy) and Rogue One every scene just HAS to be some modern shitty chase scene or some fight. There's no sit down like in Empire where the Falcon is inside that alien's gut. Finn and Rose's part of the movie is terrible. Poe committing mutiny was distinguished mentally-challenged. Am I supposed to cheer for these characters? I feel absolutely nothing even as the rebellion dies ship by ship, one by one. Despite the high stakes nothing really seems to matter, and didn't matter because a hero would come at the end of the day. And the ending with the little kid looking at the Rebellion ring, gazing at the horizon like Luke did? That was so fucking cheesy and laughable.
[close]

Summary: overly action-packed movie that barely understands Star Wars or its appeal with bad characters, little reason for emotional investment in any character (besides Luke). Poor pacing, poor writing, muddled themes, and just fucking boring despite the sheer number of blaster pews.

Rating: D+, another prequel tier Star Wars movie.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:26:23 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #2017 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:45 PM »
I loved it. There's definitely some issues but this was a fun Star Wars movie. I'm really curious WTF they were thinking with Benicio Del Toros character. He was so fucking bad.

Himu

« Reply #2018 on: December 15, 2017, 06:38:58 PM »
I loved it. There's definitely some issues but this was a fun Star Wars movie. I'm really curious WTF they were thinking with Benicio Del Toros character. He was so fucking bad.

"Movies are supposed to be fun...."

/RLM

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2019 on: December 15, 2017, 06:44:22 PM »
I don’t think I give any fucks about anyone left alive in these movies except Rey and Kylo now and even then I don’t know where they can go with that that now that isn’t yet more RotJ level pointlessness leading to the inevitable final battle sequence.
[close]

Yeah I seriously don't care about any of the characters, even Rey and Kylo at the this point.
IYKYK

Borealis

« Reply #2020 on: December 15, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
They did Admiral Ackbar fucking dirty >:(

Himu

« Reply #2021 on: December 15, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #2022 on: December 15, 2017, 07:42:15 PM »
[close]

Yeah I seriously don't care about any of the characters, even Rey and Kylo at the this point.

I think they both still have potential as characters unlike the rest of the cast after TLJ but I really don't know how the plot can be anything special at this point in IX so

:yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #2023 on: December 15, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
Same
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #2024 on: December 15, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »
The dark side cave having nothing to offer Rey is the lamest shit I could imagine for the obvious Degobah callback. I genuinely don't buy into Rey = Mary Sue complaints and think that her naivety and child like view of the Force, Jedi, etc is actually sort of fresh in TFA, but that scene absolutely murders the defense against Rey complaints.

She's just so pure that the Dark Side doesn't even tempt her? Fuck off. She can be better than Luke was here, but please make her work for it.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #2025 on: December 15, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
The dark side cave having nothing to offer Rey is the lamest shit I could imagine for the obvious Degobah callback. I genuinely don't buy into Rey = Mary Sue complaints and think that her naivety and child like view of the Force, Jedi, etc is actually sort of fresh in TFA, but that scene absolutely murders the defense against Rey complaints.

She's just so pure that the Dark Side doesn't even tempt her? Fuck off. She can be better than Luke was here, but please make her work for it.
[close]

Yeah like what the fuck was the point of it?
She sees herself in the mirror? what in the fuck. It had absolutely nothing to say for being teased as this dark, fucked up place
[close]
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2026 on: December 15, 2017, 08:12:45 PM »
also

Rose saving Finn and not only endangering both of them but also potentially killing the entire rebellion because she "loved" him, was the most mindless, brain dead decision I've seen in a star wars movie. Baffling writing that gives characters impenetrable and unjustified plot armor.
[close]
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2027 on: December 15, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
They did Admiral Ackbar fucking dirty >:(

Let go of the past.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2028 on: December 15, 2017, 08:44:55 PM »
This will be a movie that will be debated for decades, and I have a feeling it'll be as divisive as Jedi was – a lot of praise, a lot of hate.
püp

Freyj

« Reply #2029 on: December 15, 2017, 08:46:34 PM »
RotJ was my gut reaction walking out of the theater, but I think I liked RotJ better.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2030 on: December 15, 2017, 09:44:14 PM »
Movie was worth it for some of that imagery. Leia looking over the frozen landscape in that high collar was absolutely gorgeous. In what looked like a simple pretty frame you cpuld feel her just considering all thats come and all that will transpire.

I feel this film will age much, much butter than TFA. For all the stupid hack fraud plot points, there was a depth in this film I did not get from TFA.

As usual it feels like youre not getting enough Jedi/Sith stuff And its all rebellion. Maybe thats a good thing. Edging works.
:9

Himu

« Reply #2031 on: December 15, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
Depth? :lol

What depth? Serious question.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2032 on: December 15, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »
I'm gonna see it again before issuing a FINAL VERDICT but my (spoiler free) initial reaction is that it gets an A+ for ambition and a C+/- for execution.

It felt like it was trying to cram 2-3 movies worth of chances and screwing with established tropes into one movie, possibly due to TFA playing it so safe and adhering to the "SW formula" for lack of a better term.
 It didn't help that a bunch of those challenges to established themes basically got thrown away in favor of same old same old by the end of it all.
[close]
yar

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2033 on: December 15, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »

From a character to character basis

the forced connection between Rey and Kylo, mirroring the balance
Luke coming to grip with what hes done and his legacy
You could feel the war weighing heavier in this film on Leia
Rey realizing that she comes from gutter trash, she aint special
Kylo losing his shit over a past he has no control over
Finn realizing he's just there for jokes and is a junk character I'm sorry everyone who was hopeful about him
[close]

I related with with the characters in this film more than the carnival ride that was The Force Awakens.

I mean tbe overarching message on legacy alone is worth more than TFAs sole purpose of rev starting the franchise.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:04:12 PM by BlueTsunami »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2034 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »
Liked the movie. It was pretty solid. Thematically more interesting than TFA. The world and war still makes no sense and it was disappointing how Snoke was developed, but still pretty god.

Himu

« Reply #2035 on: December 15, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »

Finn realizing he's just there for jokes and is a junk character I'm sorry everyone who was hopeful about him
[close]

I related with with the characters in this film more than the carnival ride that was The Force Awakens.

I mean tbe overarching message on legacy alone is worth more than TFAs sole purpose of rev starting the franchise.

snoke deliberately says he made that connection between Rey and Kylo.
Luke was the only interesting character arc IMO. Although Kylo and Rey was interesting, the ending made me not give a shit about anyone as there was no payoff.
[close]

None of that besides the Luke thing even speaks of depth IMO.

To me depth is the scene in TFA where we first meet Rey and learn so much about her from a scene without one word being said. Just making her dinner and then putting on that helmet. I liked character development like that in TFA and didn't get it in TLJ.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2036 on: December 15, 2017, 10:15:09 PM »

[close]

snoke deliberately says he made that connection between Rey and Kylo.
Luke was the only interesting character arc IMO. Although Kylo and Rey was interesting, the ending made me not give a shit about anyone as there was no payoff.
[close]

None of that besides the Luke thing even speaks of depth IMO.

To me depth is the scene in TFA where we first meet Rey and learn so much about her from a scene without one word being said. Just making her dinner and then putting on that helmet. I liked character development like that in TFA and didn't get it in TLJ.

Character motivations and conceit isnt depth but putting on a helmet gives you goosebumps ayyyeee

I'm joking but still, I barely remember anything from TFA. To me it held the same emotional grasp of a Marvel film. In that ita sole purpose was to relaunch a universe. It got the job done.

Himu

« Reply #2037 on: December 15, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »
Huh? The entire scene was about how lonely and isolated Rey was and how she wanted soemthing more.

You don't think the jokes are Marvel movie-esque?
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2038 on: December 15, 2017, 10:27:47 PM »
That's basically a preference for one style of narrative over another and has nothing to do with depth, imo.

If anything TLJ's problem is that it tried to do TOO F'N MUCH and steps all over its own dick multiple times in the process. There's plenty of character development and depth, just a lot of it is stupid.
yar

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2039 on: December 15, 2017, 10:28:34 PM »
The humor actually didnt rub me that way. I feel the series has this history of being so dry outside of Hans's one liners that it may have felt out of character, that I can understand. With that said I wouldnt mind seeing a Villeneuve take on the universe, devoid of humor, all grit.