Author Topic: Catch-all Cop Thread  (Read 140185 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: Catch-all Cop Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 20, 2015, 03:29:03 PM »
It looked like they were totally confused for a few seconds until the guy explained he couldn't have fired the gun and then it turns into murder. Presumably because they didn't want to get in trouble for handling the arrest/weapons incorrectly.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #361 on: December 22, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/22/good-samaritans-beaten-carjacked-after-stopping-to-help-crash-victims

They were arrested in North Battleford, Sask., following a police chase that started in the north end of Saskatoon.

wow, that's like a 2 hour chase at 110km/h

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #362 on: December 22, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #363 on: December 24, 2015, 12:40:49 AM »
An Unbelievable Story of Rape

Really great long-form crime journalism, and a story including both some pretty crappy and really impressive policework.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: December 24, 2015, 02:20:49 AM »
“But it was so strange because I sat down next to her, and she was telling me what happened, and I got this — I’m a big Law & Order fan, and I just got this really weird feeling,” Peggy says. “It was like, I felt like she was telling me the script of a Law & Order story.”

This is probably almost as big a problem as cops pressuring victims to recant using threats of imprisonment. Watching Law & Order does not make you a crime expert, not everyone reacts to severe trauma the way people in TV shows and movies do.

"This seems like a lie. I can tell from how she's acting and from seeing quite a few episodes of Law & Order in my time."
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #365 on: December 24, 2015, 02:36:20 AM »
Yeah, TV looms large in people's perceptions and expectations of crime and policing.  I've heard multiple cops and prosecutors say that juries expect straight-line explanations of motive, when a solid case is much more likely to be based on physical evidence.

In this case I think there's something beyond that.  There's an expectation of some kind of Perfect Victim, who will report the crime and submit to questioning and physical examination immediately, remembering details and not being confused despite showing clear, outward signs of emotional trauma.  Also one with no criminal record, history of mental illness, erratic behavior after the fact, etc.  (TRIGGER WARNING: SJW LANGUAGE) When you're looking for excuses to not believe women about their own experiences, it's a sign of internalized sexism, the same way trying to find reasons that an unarmed black youth deserved to be shot is a sign of racism.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #366 on: December 24, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
When you get to the part about why the rapist did the crimes, it shows that these types of predators think in a different way than normal people and no one can know what the reaction of a particular victim would be like in such a situation. And why you shouldn't expect a crime like this to have a logical reason.

That police department found 20% of their rape cases unfounded (5 times the national average) which suggests the department lacks the experience and training for this type of crime.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: December 26, 2015, 09:54:52 AM »
From this rescission to the early release of thousands of federal inmates to the restrictions on surplus military equipment available to state and local law enforcement, the safety and security of our communities is being put at risk.

:heh
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #369 on: December 26, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
I also love how they always mention terrorism first, then crime.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: December 26, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »
But if you take away the ability of local police to seize and then keep the personal property of people who haven't even been charged with a crime, you're just playing right into ISIS's devilish hands!
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #371 on: December 28, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »
No indictment in the Tamir Rice shooting.

If these are all kind of blurring together for you like they are for me, that's the one where the 12 year old with the toy gun was shot within 2 seconds of police arriving on the scene.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #372 on: December 28, 2015, 04:54:40 PM »
I'm sure libertarians would be more upset if a CVS was shot
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: December 28, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
No indictment in the Tamir Rice shooting.

If these are all kind of blurring together for you like they are for me, that's the one where the 12 year old with the toy gun was shot within 2 seconds of police arriving on the scene.

Welcome to America: where white people can parade around Wal-Mart with AR-15s slung over their shoulders, but black kids are shot in 2 seconds for carrying around a toy gun.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #374 on: December 28, 2015, 11:46:52 PM »
... and not charged, not even fired. it's fucking amazing how lack of responsibility and punishment trickled all the way down since the enron days. long as you got an excuse you're in the clear.
pcp

« Reply #375 on: December 28, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
You will get in more trouble if you accidentally discharge your weapon into the ground than if you purposely point it at a black child holding a toy and fire.

:confused

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #376 on: December 29, 2015, 12:13:33 AM »
You see, the kid looked much older and hence more dangerous. They thought the gun was totes real, too, that's why they drove right up to him and Chief Wiggums first action was to stumble out the door and shoot him in the gut. Can't ever be too careful.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #378 on: December 31, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »
"Solid police work, guys, could've been worse."

:mindblown
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #379 on: January 05, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »

SMH

Tasty

« Reply #380 on: January 08, 2016, 03:38:21 PM »
Boston police officer shot in Dorchester

“He is out on probation and he is out selling drugs, and that’s why he was pulled over,’’ Evans said in a news conference at the hospital.

Evans said police had boxed Headley’s car in and were moving to arrest him, but still had not unholstered their weapons. Headley jumped out of his vehicle and opened fire “unprovoked,’’ leading the officer to return fire, Evans said.

The other officers accompanying the wounded officer chased Headley on foot across Rosseter Street and onto Geneva Avenue, where he was wrestled to the ground and taken into custody without another shot being fired, Evans said.

The commissioner emphasized that point: Officers who had just seen one of their own shot by an armed suspect took him into custody without using deadly force.

:american

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #381 on: January 09, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #382 on: January 12, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #383 on: January 29, 2016, 03:48:51 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #384 on: January 29, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »
lmao what a dumb piece of shit, was there any comment from the NYPD? Same dude goes on to punch the kid in the head while his skull is pressed to the ground, what justification for this shit did they cook up?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2016, 06:13:42 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/jkPyFhN.gifv

:lol

Officer: "Okay, so I'm going to search you now.   Do you have anything on you I need to worry about?  Anything sharp?   Anything that's going to poke or prick me?"

Suspect: "......:teehee"
MMA

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/29/us/pennsylvania-ciara-meyer-shooting-father-charged/index.html

The title confused me enough that I read the whole thing, and now I'm just sad. I know that father has been through a lot, but I still want to punch him in the face.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2016, 10:16:28 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #389 on: February 01, 2016, 10:59:21 PM »
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1292856/cops-say-aclu-effect-drives-spike-gun-violence

Authorities last year suggested Chicago’s spike in gun violence in 2015 was due to the “Ferguson effect” — cops afraid to do their jobs because of the scrutiny following the shooting of a black teenager by a white officer in 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri.

But with Chicago now plagued with an even steeper rise in fatal shootings in January, compared with the same period of 2015, street cops are offering a new reason: the “ACLU effect.”

They say the Chicago Police Department’s pact with the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois to monitor police stops in greater detail is prompting officers to stop policing, leaving the streets to the criminals and leading to the spike in gun violence.

Starting in January, officers have been required to fill out two-page forms documenting every stop of a citizen for everything from traffic violations to investigative stops. They ask for much more information than the previous one-page “contact cards” officers filled out.

In interviews with officers and sergeants over the past month, a common theme has emerged: Cops say they have avoided making many of the stops they would have routinely done last year.

Meantime, January 2016 was the deadliest first month of the year since 2001, according to a Chicago Sun-Times review of homicide records. At least 50 murders were recorded through 6 a.m. Sunday — most the result of shootings on the West and South Sides.

One sergeant in a South Side police district attributed the latest wave of violence to criminals becoming emboldened by what they see as officers being hamstrung by the intense scrutiny over police practices since the video of an officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald was made public in November.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #390 on: February 01, 2016, 11:09:56 PM »
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #391 on: February 07, 2016, 04:40:20 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/3ApH59E.png

:lol

they are commenting on a lacross game

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #392 on: February 14, 2016, 09:59:58 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #393 on: February 14, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
What the fuck? They don't have enough power already?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: February 14, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
Resisting arrest is one of the most BS charges that the cops can hit somebody with. It's the "we don't have an actual charge against you, so we'll try to arrest you for no reason and then say that were resisting your arrest" charge.
dog

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #396 on: February 14, 2016, 10:58:05 PM »
:(

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #397 on: February 14, 2016, 11:16:17 PM »
Similar thing happened in Santa Cruz when I lived there. It's a small town and two officers ended up dead (plus the shooter) so the whole city mourned. It's just impossible to be prepared for an ambush even when you know you're going to a scene like that.

Shit that guy was younger than me. :(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #398 on: February 15, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2016, 12:54:30 AM »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #400 on: February 16, 2016, 01:01:56 AM »
From 2014, but this was big news in my area.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Sergeant-in-slapping-video-due-in-court-Tuesday-6125415.php

A former police officer who slapped a man during a traffic stop and pleaded guilty to official misconduct was fined, but the judge declined to sentence him to probation.

Shawn R. Glans, a former Saratoga County sheriff's sergeant, pleaded guilty Tuesday to the misdemeanor as well as harassment, a violation.

Town Justice Lester Wormuth rejected the prosecution's request to sentence Glans to three years of probation. The judge instead ordered Glans to pay $1,505 in fines by May 21 and stay away from Colin Fitch for a year.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2016, 08:38:38 AM »
Lest you all think there's no "what the fuck?!" behaviour going on in my own organization: (Oh God, the bad behaviour that has gone on in my organization  :-\)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-canadian-police-college-review-1.3453903

One of the officers suspended Wednesday is RCMP Staff Sgt. Bruno Solesme, who used to be the unit manager. Solesme had already been disciplined for nudity in the workplace, specifically one instance where he was seen lying naked across the desk of a colleague. He was suspended with pay for several months in 2014 before an internal adjudication board formally issued a reprimand and docked him seven days' pay.

The other man suspended this week is a civilian member of the RCMP and a former Canadian Forces Joint Task Force member, Marco Calandrini. He was docked five days' pay for walking around the office stark naked on a regular basis.

Good friends, the two men were reportedly fond of not only posing completely nude on each other's desks in a purported effort to shock each other but also allegedly simulated oral sex in the office.

All four former staff members told CBC about similar instances where Calandrini appeared naked in the corridors or announced he had just shaved his genitals before dumping the contents of his electric razor onto the table they all shared at mealtimes.
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #402 on: February 20, 2016, 09:28:13 AM »
You know what, every organization has shits like this, what I don't get is why they weren't just immediately fired (the first time).  This suspension with pay crap when it seems pretty obvious that lots of bad behavior has gone on is really the thing that taints the RCMP name.  Its not that they had bad employees, its that they haven't handled the situation (multiple times). 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #403 on: February 20, 2016, 09:53:59 AM »
Less serious than most stories posted here, but amusing since it involves my old high school:

The mayor of Achille, who's been in legal trouble with his town before, is back in the hot seat, but this time in connection with his job as a Bryan County Sheriff’s Office deputy.

Achille mayor, Shane Guhl is once again under scrutiny, leaving his town's people with mixed emotions.

Back in 2009 he was fired from his position as mayor, and later sued his town for wrongful termination, and won.

He was also Achilles’ police chief, and was let go twice.

Guhl is now accused of having an inappropriate affair with a school teacher.

Guhl has worked as a deputy for the Bryan County Sheriff's Office for over two years.

Last year, he was hired as the resource officer for Achille Public Schools, but is now being investigated by the Bryan County Sheriff's Office over an alleged affair with a teacher in the school system.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2016, 11:26:22 PM »
Miami FOP Lodge# 20 – Boycotting Beyoncé’s Miami Concert

The Miami Fraternal Order of Police has voted to have all law enforcement officers boycott Beyoncé’s concert which is being held at the Miami Marlins Stadium on Wednesday, April 26, 2016. The fact that Beyoncé used this year’s Super Bowl to divide American s by promoting the Black Panthers and her antipolice message shows how she does not support law enforcement.

I was one of the tens of thousands of law enforcement officers that didn’t watch the Super Bowl halftime show out of respect for our profession. On another day while flipping through the television channels, I did mistakenly watch her "Formation” video that shows scenes of a young black boy dancing in front of  police in riot gear, who signal their surrender by putting their hands up, referencing the "Hands up, don't shoot" anthem of the Black Lives Matter movement inspired by the 2014 death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. I challenge Beyoncé to review the eighty-six page report written by the United States Department of Justice on the death investigation of Michael Brown. As quoted by a witness that was  interviewed by investigators, Witness 108 refused to provide additional details to either county or federal authorities, citing community sentiment to support a “hands up” surrender narrative as his reason to remain silent. He explained that he would rather go to jail than testify before the county grand jury. As detailed throughout the USDOJ report, those hands up, don’t shoot accounts are inaccurate because they are inconsistent with the physical and forensic evidence. Countless others contradicted or recanted their accounts of what transpired. Hands up, don't shoot was built on a lie.

While Beyoncé physically saluted the 50th anniversary of the Black Panthers movement at the Super Bowl, I salute NYPD Officer Richard Rainey, who succumbed to his injuries on February 16, 2016 from  being shot by two Black Panthers who he had pulled over in a traffic stop. I also salute the dozens of law enforcement officers that have been assassinated by members of the Black Panthers.

We ask all law enforcement labor organizations to join our boycott across the country and to boycott all of her concerts.

Fraternally,
Javier Ortiz, President Miami Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge #20

He also tweeted this  :lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2016, 11:30:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/702177685435383808

Starts a series of 40 tweets by a defense attorney.  Not a huge story, but worth reading.

benjipwns

« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2016, 11:45:01 PM »
If you spin those images fast enough those skid marks become clear 360 degree circles. And his mom probably used angles and mirrors to hide parts of them. I think we should wait for the facts to come in.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #407 on: March 01, 2016, 05:33:21 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #408 on: March 01, 2016, 05:43:14 PM »
Listening to this now

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/581/anatomy-of-doubt

very heart breaking

Pretty sure this is an audio version of something I posted last page:

Really great long-form crime journalism, and a story including both some pretty crappy and really impressive policework.

It's almost like a Goofus and Gallant of how to handle sexual assault cases.  Alternately hopeful and depressing.

Mods Help

« Reply #409 on: March 01, 2016, 05:48:16 PM »
thought this was a bump about the police who had a 45 minute 'standoff" with a black couple sleeping in a car

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #410 on: March 01, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »
Listening to this now

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/581/anatomy-of-doubt

very heart breaking

Pretty sure this is an audio version of something I posted last page:

It's almost like a Goofus and Gallant of how to handle sexual assault cases.  Alternately hopeful and depressing.

It is.  But actually hearing the victim makes it so much worse. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #412 on: March 09, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
Less serious than most stories posted here, but amusing since it involves my old high school:

The mayor of Achille, who's been in legal trouble with his town before, is back in the hot seat, but this time in connection with his job as a Bryan County Sheriff’s Office deputy.

Achille mayor, Shane Guhl is once again under scrutiny, leaving his town's people with mixed emotions.

Back in 2009 he was fired from his position as mayor, and later sued his town for wrongful termination, and won.

He was also Achilles’ police chief, and was let go twice.

Guhl is now accused of having an inappropriate affair with a school teacher.

Guhl has worked as a deputy for the Bryan County Sheriff's Office for over two years.

Last year, he was hired as the resource officer for Achille Public Schools, but is now being investigated by the Bryan County Sheriff's Office over an alleged affair with a teacher in the school system.

Looks like he is Achille's heel.  :doge
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #413 on: March 15, 2016, 06:32:56 AM »
http://boingboing.net/2016/03/14/video-shows-fort-worth-cop-pep.html

What is it with cops and pepper spray this week?

In what reality does pepper spraying into traffic seem like he's pursuing fulfillment of his duty as a peace officer?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #414 on: March 16, 2016, 12:31:34 AM »
http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/103978708-story

This is kind of whiny to post here, but it is a cop acting outside his purview: Dickhead FL sheriff gets lippy about how he'd arrest Tim Cook if Apple refused to hand over the crypto keys in a case he's investigating. The whole thing is just a fantasy scenario, but the idea that the cop would lock someone up over something which is still a long ways away from being proven able to be legally compelled. Part of me wants something like this to happen, so he can have a wrongful arrest suit be filed and have the shit sued out of his back-assward state, county, and personal accounts. Huff and puff, little man.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #418 on: April 08, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #419 on: April 21, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
Several children between the ages of 6 and 11 were led out of a Tennessee elementary school in handcuffs Friday after video surfaced online of a schoolyard tussle, WKRN reported.

According to the local news station, the fight broke out during a pickup basketball game off-campus. After reviewing the video, police took the kids into custody at Hobgood Elementary School in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and charged them with criminal responsibility for the acts of another.

Local Rev. James McCarroll, joined by outraged parents in a packed Sunday community meeting, told the Tennessean that the kids were charged for not intervening to stop the fight.

Zacchaeus Crawford told WKRN that three of his five children, ages 9, 10, and 11, were arrested. He said he raised his children to avoid “the system,” but they were thrust into legal trouble anyway—even though two of his kids weren’t even present at the game.

:sheik
dog