Author Topic: Yes bécane! - The Other Bore Biker Daddies (Tour de France, brehs)  (Read 31025 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: Yes bécane! - The Other Bore Biker Daddies :MichaelHarrington:
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »
Posters other than me itt. :rejoice This is Velo-Bore's Shenmue 3 moment. :tocry

:lol Reading your initial experiences on a "sporty" bike was deja vu Dufus. When I got my single gear I was all "I don't need a helmet. :jawalrus" and after my first ride I was like "GET ME A HELMET. " Have you got down into the drops yet? You go fast as hell when you're down there. :win

In America we call those tools Allen wrenches. Internationally they're usually called hex keys. If you stick with this you will end up with several of them... I have two combination ones that cover any size imaginable because I was sick of trying to work on my bikes and not having an Allen wrench big or small enough to work a screw. :lol

Your cassette is actually a little more aggressive than the one on my single gear (16t vs. 18t) so I'm not surprised how powerful and fast it seems right now. 11t is what you'll find at one end of a pro transmission. The only time you'll really feel humbled is on a long sprint when you spin out or when you're going up a hill and have to crank hard. Other than that there's not a ton of difference between a single and a multiple speed bike.

It sounds like you could use some spacers on your stem since you're leaning too far forward. Unless you're in the drops you shouldn't be that hunched over. When I want to get really upright on my multigear bike with drop handlebars I hold the parts of it closest to the stem like it's a flat handlebar. Not sure if that will work for you but try it out!

@Swish - Riding is a great way to get fit because it's fun (unlike a lot of other cardio). Not sure how flabby n sick you are atm, but a lot of bikes have weight limits so watch out for that. (Usually around 240 pounds.) A steel frame bike is pretty invincible and since they weigh a lot it'll make you work harder to ride, you might look at that.

:tocry So happy to have company itt again.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2015, 10:32:43 PM »
Oh, RE ride quality: my single speed is on 28cm tires like your Kona and my 10 speed is only on 23cm tires (:dead) and the 10 speed is MILES more comfortable over rough surfaces than the single speed so I don't think it has as much to do with tire size as the frame itself. My 10 speed has a carbon fiber fork while my single speed doesn't, for example.

Kara

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
Your seat's the correct height if you have to stand on your tip toes when the bike is stopped. It seems counterintuitive but you pedal the most efficiently when your legs can almost fully extend.

Planks (especially side planks) are better than pushups for building your flexibility. And just riding a lot will get your body used to the geometry, I hardly do yogaish stuff anymore because I ride so much.

As for running out of energy, sorry for the remedial question but is your cassette fixie or freewheel atm? (Yours can flip and be either.) If it's fixie that's why, fixies are the most demanding bicycle setup available. If it's freewheel, try to pace your pedaling and fuel appropriately before riding. (Take in sugars 15-20 mins before riding and bring a sugared drink on your ride.) You're the engine in the most efficient form of human transportation on the planet but like an engine you can't run at high RPM indefinitely.

Kara

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 06:44:38 PM »
Stock rims are almost always :trash, a way for companies to save some extra bucks. See also: cranksets.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 09:20:16 PM »
250 seems to be the cut off for too fat for life. Chairs and bikes with these 250 lb weight limits. I'm still shy of 250, but it's a good reminder to not get so fat :wag

For the longest time, normal was 6 foot 180 lbs fit. Gotta get back to that :-\

There's these videogamey bike machines at the gym I go to and they're actually pretty decent for a 30 minute ride. Should I practice more with the fake bikes before going for the real thing?

The machines try to replicate hills and different terrain so I don't know if it's any less strenuous than the real thing.

Kara

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »
It sounds like you're leaning too far forward, D. The only time it's really difficult for me to see is if I've pulled the brim of my biretta too far down.

How did you decide on the frame size you got? The official recommendations err too much on the side of being too large. (I should buy bikes with 60 cm top tubes officially but I feel much more comfortable on a 58 cm.) I would definitely play around with raising your stem with spacers or even getting a shorter one. A trip to the local bike shop for a fitting might do the trick too but those can cost money.

@Swish - I don't read good things about stationary bikes but the people who do the writing in this scene are comically out of touch with reality. If it works for you that's what matters imo. The only meaningful differences to me are:

-you can stand and pedal on an outdoor bike (better workout)
-you get to go fast on an outdoor bike
-you can get hurt on an outdoor bike

I don't think they can really prepare you to ride a modern road bike beyond basic stroke (:teehee) techniques (you really fucking fly on the stuff they sell now) and you definitely won't learn how to shift right (bike transmissions are... interesting).

Kara

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2015, 02:37:02 AM »
As for me, my goal this weekend is to try out clipless pedals for the first time. :anhuld

I'm actually a bit scared because my riding routes are all tarmac that's chewed the heck up so if I fall (which is likely) I'm going to get cut the fuck up. :brazilcry

I also have to make sudden stops a lot which just presents more opportunities to fall over. :stahp

#pray4kara

Kara

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
A shorter stem lets you turn your front wheel with less effort. Since your frame is larger and your tires are 28s it shouldn't be too hazardous for you if you shorten it.

As a plus, the bike will feel a lot more nimble at low speeds.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »
Is shifting different on these nicer bikes? Always do it while pedaling.

Left side are gears 1, 2, 3, and right side 1-7 on my bike. Don't know what you call them, but I know how they work on my bike :P

Kara

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Is shifting different on these nicer bikes? Always do it while pedaling.

Left side are gears 1, 2, 3, and right side 1-7 on my bike. Don't know what you call them, but I know how they work on my bike :P

You can shift while you aren't pedaling but the transmission won't actually change until you next pedal.

The shifter on the left usually controls the chainring like your bike does (it sounds like you have a triple, those are rare now, it's usually just 2) and the the one on the right usually controls the cassette at the rear (again like yours) but there are a lot more than 7 speeds now, 11 is the norm and entry level is usually 9.

The big change would be getting used to how to shift up and down, each of the big 3 groupset companies has its own way of doing it and one of them (SRAM) will be changing theirs when they release their wireless system this year. I have a Shimano set and I hate how one of the shifting actions is built into the brake lever. It's one of the reasons my next bike will have Campagnolo instead.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »
Mine has levers like these:

Is that style outdated?

Kara

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
Vintage!

Yeah, those went out of style around 2009ish. This is what you use now.

(Shimano's pictured, though the other 2 are similar enough.)

E: I was kind of blown away when I read that Lance Armstrong used the kind you posted when he no longer had to.

Kara

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2015, 12:10:51 AM »
I think I fell back in love with my single gear, Dufus. :heh

It's just so damn liberating to not have to worry about anything when you're riding. :whew

And cranking the pedals as hard as you can when going uphill. :lawd

I definitely need to switch out the flat handlebar though. A 60 cm top tube should not feel as short as mine does.

I also need to swap out the brakes, not only are these ones :trash, but given how fast I ride they're straight up dangerous.

Vélos. :rejoice

Kara

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2015, 08:42:29 PM »
I swapped out the brake pads on my single speed. Thing rides better than new now. :lawd

I thought V-brakes were always :trash, but with these new pads I barely have to pull the brake levers to stop like on my 10 speed. :lawd

God I love dicking around with my vélos, I can see why Drinky is an addict with his motos. :itagaki

Kara

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2015, 08:49:59 PM »
Clipless pedals are weird. Like you don't really use your feet to pedal at all, it's all in your legs. The really nice thing about this is that it's a lot harder to spin out because your feet can't fly off the pedals, which means a lot less shifting gears. The shitty thing about this is that you can't really "take a break" while pedaling like you can with platform pedals.

The shoes I have are a little to big for me so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a pair that fits better that's also compatible with Look pedals. (My current shoes are only compatible with Shimano pedals, which makes sense since they're Shimano shoes.) I found out Look sells pedals built in France and I gotta have that.

Kara

« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »
Hmmmm, supposedly my shoes will work with Look pedals. Do I want to wager 50 bucks on that? Do I want to have wasted buying my Shimano pedals?

Kara

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
People riding to get that bangin' bikini bod shouldn't use single gear bikes on hilly terrain. I didn't even have to try to blow by them this morning. #puncheur :lol

----------------------

<Veritas> i think i'm going to buy an el camino
<Veritas> http://www.commencalusa.com/el-camino-essential-sram-650b-grey-2015-c2x14719948
<Veritas> that one lol, not the embarrassing automobile
<Aequitas> when u ride that u still gotta wear a flannel over a wifebeater with only the top button fastened with a sick bandeezy
<Veritas> u got it ese

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2015, 02:41:07 PM »
Are hybrids still a thing? I was meaning to pick one up, since on paper they sounded good: Mountain Bike for dirt roads, urban for paved roads. But I'm not sure if they're practical for mixed riding or reliable.

Kara

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »
Yeah, definitely!

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/fitness-urban/fitness/quick-cx/quick-cx-5
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/city/dual_sport/ds_series/8_2_ds/
http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/2015/bikes/road/2015-grade-alloy-claris
http://m.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/crosstrail/crosstrail
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/roam.3/22193/84016/

(I tried to pick entry level models, but these all scale up. Basically you pay more for lighter, better parts as you go up in cost and frames stay the same until you jump from metal to carbon fiber.)

In terms of reliability, as long as you don't get ambitious with your offroad riding (dirt and gravel should be nbd) and you keep your bike maintained the biggest problem you'd face are punctures and that's easily fixed with sturdy tires. Almost all of those bikes use mountain bike gears which should be pretty sturdy. (The GT doesn't but I am a little familiar with it and people say it's very rugged.)

Embrace two wheels mon ami. :preach

Kara

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
Another weekend ride, another pinch flat and resulting walk of shame home. :snoop :goty2

This time it was on my single speed too, which has pretty rugged tires (that I'd inflated yesterday!) but I was mad as fuck after being slowed down by a family faffing about on foot across two lanes of a bike path :sheik and cranked through a turn too sharp. That's all she wrote. :brazilcry

Of course it's my rear tire too. :iface

ON THE PLUS SIDE, I apparently earned the fourth fastest time ever on a secteur on this ignominious excursion according to Strava. :drake :money :preach

I need to just bite the bullet and go to the really really big bike path that isn't riding distance from the Commune on the weekends. It's not like my 58 frame isn't easy to squeeze in the trunk of a car. :yeshrug

Kara

« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2015, 01:31:57 AM »
Think I've got my shopping list set for Eurotrashing out my BH brehs. :whew

It's gonna be so Eurotrash. :noah And a lot of the stuff I found is available in the colors of my bike (black, blue, and white) so this shit's going to look so aesthetically pleasing after I'm done too. :lawd

I did end up putting some Michelin tires instead of Hutchinsons on my shopping list. I'm not getting tubeless rims and tbh I don't really see the benefit in getting Hutchinsons if you're not getting tubeless tires. Plus Michelin sells tires with blue sidewalls. :preach

Wish I'd known more about bottom brackets when I was getting deep into this. I have kind of a smaller one which makes me feel like I'm wasting pedal strength and even though I plan on keeping my BH for awhile it really makes it hard to justify buying a Stages power meter because my next bike will hopefully not have this bottom bracket.

Kara

« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2015, 01:48:08 AM »
I think recumbents are a great option for people who just want to get around or have certain disabilities. (One of the regular riders on my local bike path is a person with disabilities who rides one.) They can get pretty fast too even though they've been outlawed in racing for like a 100 years or something. :shaq Their handling is supposedly pretty shitty though.

You could probably fit some studded 25 tires on your Kona. (I don't know if those exist.) Dropping to 25s would give you more fender clearance too. From what I gather fitting fenders on a traditional road frame is usually a tight package, even on frames designed to take them.

As for aero bars, they're kind of inconvenient to climb with and that strikes me as their major limiting factor. In addition to that, because they're kind of specialized they're expensive to purchase and most bikes that aren't time trial bikes don't come with them at time of purchase and from what I gather the overwhelming majority of bike riders don't make significant modifications to their bikes after purchase so if it's not there then it's not ever going to be there.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:52:02 AM by Vularai »

Kara

« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »

Kara

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »
Yeah... I hit some real climbs today and they kicked my ass. :dead

I mean I know I need to get leaner (which I'm working on!) but I wonder how much better I'd do with a triple instead of a compact crank. :gaben My rear cassette is a 12-30 and I was in the easiest gear possible like 40% up the climb. :brazilcry

Also I really should have bought some nice brake pads instead of cheapie stopgap ones. It's scary as fuck to be going 60 km downhill and having pretty much nothing happen when you brake. :busta

Kara

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2015, 01:01:16 AM »
You know, the bottom bracket is kind of an important part of a bicycle but they have to be one of the most confusing things in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_bracket#Sizes

Look at how many "standards" there are. :dead

The worst thing is that the press fit "standards" are recent concoctions which means they're destined for a short lifespan. (BB30 seems to be the one everyone thinks has the least legs from what I've read.) Meanwhile BSA has been around FOREVER and probably will go on a lot longer.

Kara

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2015, 10:31:30 AM »

:dead :dead :dead :dead :dead

Dufus I'm ttly watching this, you game? :expert

Kara

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
Think I trashed either the tire or the rim on my rear wheel this morning because I was too impatient to wait for a jogger. That'll be fun to have fixed tomorrow since I don't really want mismatched tires or wheels... hoping that I'll just have to buy a new set of tires.

On the plus side the jogger was SEETHING at me for passing them and then making them slow down. Now you know how it feels, shortstride.  8)

Kara

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2015, 04:02:33 PM »
Think I'm getting a thing for classic steel bikes. :-\

So many options out there though. :aah

From something "modern" and relatively inexpensive like this:

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer

To something absolutely ridiculous like this:

http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/all-road/eroica/

I need to make a significant upgrade to my existing bikes to get this wanderlust out of my system. My Orbea is chromoly. :larry

Kara

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2015, 05:33:26 PM »
It's because it's certified to be used in a historic bike race they have every year that forbids newer style bikes. That means they had to do stuff like commission replica Campagnolo parts.

Still a ridic price, mind, but there's a reason for it.

Plus hand built in Italy and the Campagnolo stuff is either hand built in Italy or Romania.

Kara

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2015, 01:30:02 AM »
http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/entreprise?mod=france

Glad I hadn't bought new tires yet. The Francofication of my vélo can be even more complete. :lawd

Kara

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2015, 01:03:04 AM »
Dufus, I had my first dérailleur problem. My rear mech got out of whack and shifting up was agonizing for a couple of rides.

Fixing it was pretty simple, I just needed to tighten the cable that goes in to the part which I did by fussing with a dial on the dérailleur but the entire time I was like DUFUS WAS RIGHT.

Loving my new Hutchinson tires btw. Vive la République. :lawd

Kara

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »
It's pathetic if you inflate with compressed CO2. The tire losses pressure in 24 hours. :goty

Buying a quality inner tube can slow down the pressure loss. Weeks between ination is going to be tough to top I think, though. I have to top mine off every other ride because I run them at their maximum pressure. :shaq2

Getting into this hobby has really made me appreciate tire design for automobiles.

Look at this fucking goober, btw: http://www.bicycling.com/repair/repair/what-happened-when-we-sent-maintenance-noob-repair-school

Now I know why bike mechanics are a bit rude. :sabu

Kara

« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2015, 04:56:58 PM »
Slammed my stem (almost). Pray for me bike brehs, going out in 30 or so. 🙏

My vélo looks kinda like this now. :lol

Kara

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2015, 11:02:13 PM »
Slamming really improved my bike fit. I no longer feel like I'm riding a frame that's too small for me. :rejoice

Pros: more aerodynamic riding position, especially when I'm on the hoods. I really felt the cumulative effect of this towards the end of the ride. Not as uncomfortable as I was expecting, really just stress on parts of my body I wasn't used to. I only did a sprint ride, so I'm cautious about the setup's efficacy until I crank out a real long ride.

Cons: having to adjust to different handling (feels twitchier now) and not having as much wind resistance to keep me from blowing my load early. Also my respiration felt totally different (I wasn't getting nearly as much oxygen as I'm used to) but I'm not sure if that's because of my body position or the fact that I ate like shit earlier in the day so I'm going to watch that. As much as I like a better fit I like breathing efficiently better.

Kara

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2018, 05:39:22 PM »
How short was your first stem?

How short was your second stem?

What's the size of your frame? (The seat tube length.)

How tall are you?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
I once owned a huffy, hopped a lot of curbs

Kara

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »
Yeah, that frame is too big for you. You could drop down to a 70mm stem but that would noticeably change the way it handles.

A steel frame with a carbon fork will put you in a bike you had before. It's almost exclusive to racing bikes for people who want to ride steel but also want to still be a weight weenie. It sounds like you value comfort so I would recommend an all steel frame unless you were going to lift it a lot.

A lot of the things you're looking for are reasonable and practical which, since this is the bicycle industry, means you don't have a lot of off the shelf options. How luxurious can you get? I think something like this from a company that only sells frames would be what you're looking for. (Reading your post I actually kept thinking, "This has got to be a Velo Orange commercial, right?" They have a lot of the accessories you're looking for too.)

If you can't get that expensive I would suggest looking at vintage frames. Cyclo-touring used to be popular and there are tons of "comfortable, but quick" frames that were built for that purpose. Since you want to convert to single speed a 5 speed frame is the easiest type to work with because modern day track wheel hubs use the same frame spacing at the rear (120mm). There are lots of good frames from the late 70s, early to mid 80s that shouldn't be discounted though.

If you go vintage I would advise against anything French. I own a vintage French bike and I love it but all of the parts are standards that were specific to France so owning one is more of a hobby with a benefit than a mode of transportation.

Whichever option you elect I think you should prioritize a bike with a threaded fork. Threaded stems let you adjust the height of the handlebars and the distance away from you. It's not a common design anymore because it costs more to produce but they still exist and all bikes before 199X had threaded forks on the road.

There's nothing wrong with rim brakes. They're just fine. Unfortunately pushing disc brakes has been an easy way for the bigger companies to turn sales so disc only frames are not uncommon now. Tektro makes a cable pull disc brake (the Spyre) that preserves simplicity while being a disc brake.

I think you might find this podcast informative RE: tire size and pressure.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »
Got 600 km already on the bike I bought a few months back, electric bike really is great in such a hilly town. Use it every day to pickup or drop off my daugther at kindergarten

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2018, 08:39:27 AM »
ASO has forbidden Froome to enter in the imminent Tour de France. Team Sky has appealed the decision but apparently ASO is within its prerogatives.

Froome presented an abnormal level of an illicit substance in a test made several months ago and the official decision is still pending.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »
I fully expect the case to be magically resolved ASAP because we all know ASO actually runs the sport but lol, couldn't have happened to a nicer team and guy.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2018, 06:54:55 AM »
Well what do you know, the UCI just announced the case was closed  :lol
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2018, 03:16:45 AM »
...and thus Froome is welcomed back on the Tour.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »
I already knew this but what a farce of a sport. Were they just sitting on it?

Hopefully Bedhead Bardet saves us from another :zzz Tour with an amazing stage run à la the 2015 Critérium du Dauphiné or 2016 Tour.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »
I already knew this but what a farce of a sport. Were they just sitting on it?

Hopefully Bedhead Bardet saves us from another :zzz Tour with an amazing stage run à la the 2015 Critérium du Dauphiné or 2016 Tour.

Yeah it's weird. I read at a glance that there was a protracted legal battle behind the scenes and that the doping testing lab finally yielded that some of the science of the test could be challenged much to UCI chagrin (apparently ?). I guess the ASO rebuff forced the hand of the UCI to reach a decision...
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2018, 05:39:39 AM »
The Cycling Podcast has some musings about the Froome case :
- The rule is that suspicious cases are held private before they're confirmed to be actual doping violations. WADA own reporting is that 66% or so of the litigious samples end up clear. It's true that in that light, Froome wasn't treated "fairly" and that may explain why it felt like it dragged for so long.
- The problematic substance is not outright banned, you can use it without an exemption provided you're under a certain threshold. There's also a lot of actual science details (factoring dehydration or not etc...) to explain why it took so long.
- Apparently the UCI was operating under pressure as they didn't want to give the impression Froome was judged with a lighter hand, hence why it was leaning towards a harder stance that he would be punished if it was a conclusive violation.

And of course, the case may have been legally settled but it probably did nothing to change the mind of anti / pro Froome & Sky people.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2018, 12:03:41 AM »
I'll give it a listen. They touched on your first point in this week's Cycling Tips podcast and it's a fair point... if we accept claims we can't verify from an international organization that's routinely discredited.

Speaking of, it's ludicrous that WADA didn't even make Froome submit a controlled pharmacokinetic study. Are all in competition adverse findings waived now for the same reason? What about strict rider liability, is that gone too? Or is the answer to both of those questions, "No, unless you have massive Murdoch money behind you."

Should I start a separate Tour de France thread for this weekend?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2018, 03:46:55 AM »
We'll probably be only be two to react. I'd say this thread can do with the temporary derail ?

I mean personally I don't like Froome and I'm one of the "haters" for sure so...

Apparently a bit of a spat yesterday between Dave Brailsford of Sky and UCI President David Lappartient, the former calling the latter "a French town mayor in spirit" which is funny because Lappartient is a town mayor, of the city hosting yesterday's stage arrival. Lappartient fired back by playing dumb and saying that if it was meant as an insult, Brailsford should maybe remember there would be no Tour without mayors.

It was a day of anger as team Quick Step was very pissed that no other team helped them pacing the bunch yesterday, going as far as calling them Mickey Mouse teams with Mickey Mouse tactics (  :reeeee ). QS is apparently the only team who brought a real sprinting train this year, the smaller teammates headcount shifted common tactics to sprinters having only a couple of pacers now. They did not work in vain though as Gaviria won his second stage for the Belgian squad.

Lionel Birnie also revealed he had a cheeky nickname for team Cofidis : Cofidisappointing.
:neogaf
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 07:13:40 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »
Bardet and Dumoulin losing time today because of mechanicals (and a 20 seconds penalty for Dumoulin  on top of it) while Martin wins the stage centered around the Mur de Bretagne.

Cobbles stage on Sunday. I might try to catch that one...

ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »
Did people slack on sprint trains because of the roster reduction or because no one is going to take the green jersey from Sagan? The world may never know. (Quick Step isn't the most logically run team so they're inoculated against both I suppose.)

Julian Alaphilippe is having a nice tour so far. Doubt he'll survive the mountains with Quick Step though.

Roubaix is going to be :noah, I'm so stoked.

Also I guess I should out myself as a Direct Énergie supporter. :shaq2

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
Re: Yes bécane! - The Other Bore Biker Daddies (Tour de France, brehs)
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
 :shaq2
bardet and dumoulin

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2018, 04:16:59 PM »
Did people slack on sprint trains because of the roster reduction or because no one is going to take the green jersey from Sagan? The world may never know. (Quick Step isn't the most logically run team so they're inoculated against both I suppose.)

Julian Alaphilippe is having a nice tour so far. Doubt he'll survive the mountains with Quick Step though.

Roubaix is going to be :noah, I'm so stoked.

Also I guess I should out myself as a Direct Énergie supporter. :shaq2

Roster reductions it seems. I mean... QS won the two actual sprints without much pain so they probably were right to but they can afford to with no real GC contender. Alaphilippe is doing good but probably is frustrated to be well placed but without a win.

Honestly Direct Énergie is probably a better choice than FDJ or Cofidis  :doge

I'd take literally anyone over Froome but without any specifics. If I had to choose, Bardet of course (but I don't think he has it in him...) or Nibali (always was find of Italian GC riders). Curious to see how Landa will do too, though I fully expect Movistar to be a total clusterfuck as usual.
ὕβρις

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2018, 04:17:50 PM »
i also have no idea how i eluded this thread for so long. cycling is a huge part of my identity

it's a bit of a bummer that stage 9 is on the same day as the world cup finals though it's a short stage and start times can change

i just hope the gap furthers between tvg/porte and thomas/froome on the cobbles. i want full fuckery

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
Hopefully Barguil deliver some class too. It's a shame the guy sounds so mercurial and reluctant to discipline but I guess that may his charm too.
ὕβρις

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
and this thread is the perfect excuse to post a pic of my whip

the photo is a bit dated. she's now sporting the new mavic cosmic pro carbon sl ust wheelset

tubeless  :rejoice

Kara

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »
i also have no idea how i eluded this thread for so long. cycling is a huge part of my identity

The old thread title was a French language Obama era pun joined to a meta reference to the Bore motorcycle thread joined to a reference to a 1960s book about poverty in America; I'm kind of surprised anyone figured out it was a cycling thread.

Anyway, bienvenue. :) In the fashion thread I think you indicated you're a Fred? Whatcha ride? :phil

e: lmao, beaten already. How do you like the SRAM?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »
Copy pasted from CyclingNews

Movistar SD Arrieta, yesterday:
"Another race will start for us after the cobblestones stage. But we don't have three leaders. We have only one leader: it's Nairo Quintana because of his past at the Tour de France."

Suuuure.

Edit : He denied saying that, when asked by As  :lol
The first quote appeared on the Tour official site.
ὕβρις

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
quintana on the cobbles :lol :lol :lol
though he is a fairly decent sprinter and much better time trialist than people give him credit for

the sram force 22 is finicky af if not properly dialed in but i've only ever ridden sram so the fuck do i kno  :idont

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2018, 11:27:31 AM »
Nibali wins the stage !
Well, younger brother of Vincenzo, Antonio won a stage on the Tour of Austria, that is.

ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »
I am only a really casual watcher of the TDF so please excuse my ignorance:

Is there any realistic way for Froome not to win again? Is the time he lost so far going to matter?

Kara

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2018, 11:20:46 PM »
He could suffer a catastrophic mechanical again; the Pinarello Dogma X-Light is still made out of hopes and dreams.

Losing is unlikely though--he has domestiques who would be the #1 rider on other teams and is a supreme physical specimen with cutting edge doping marginal gains on a team that basically exists to win the Tour.

Unrelated: VK, is Pierre Rolland a "meme" rider in France? Among anglophones he is and it's one of my guilty pleasures.