Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 892758 times)

Coax

Re: minor inconveniences that are not struggles
« Reply #8340 on: March 19, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »
The internet loves to give the semi-smug response of 'shoulda had backups' in such scenarios (it's hard to blame them) buuuut when it's something so personally critical I do wonder what puts people off doing a little research into avoiding such a scenario. Though if you're disabling updates for seven years on an internet-connected system I suppose you've already become comfortable with some risk  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #8341 on: March 19, 2021, 09:34:35 AM »
I think it's completely reasonable to have the expectation that a multi-hundred dollar appliance, in this case probably multi-thousand dollar, works for a set amount of time as-is without software updates turning it into a paperweight.

(TBH though if it were me, I would have airgapped that sucker and used an entirely different device for web browsing and shit.)

Tasty

« Reply #8342 on: March 22, 2021, 06:05:53 PM »
I just bit my lip and it's bleeding a lot and I'm tasting my own blood and I'm squeamish :(

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8343 on: March 22, 2021, 06:07:14 PM »
not so tasty after all  :snob

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8344 on: March 22, 2021, 06:07:47 PM »
:dead

Tasty

« Reply #8345 on: March 22, 2021, 06:11:43 PM »
not so tasty after all  :snob

Resident vamp toku wants my blood at least, I think :(

Tasty

« Reply #8346 on: March 22, 2021, 07:34:59 PM »
Btw vampires are the coolest dreamiest beings ever, toku bless up

Tasty

« Reply #8347 on: March 23, 2021, 08:10:28 PM »
Feuding with multiple female family members 🙄

Bebpo

« Reply #8348 on: April 21, 2021, 06:11:35 PM »
I did like one last instacart groceries order today since I'm just barely done being vaccinated and haven't started going back to the markets yet, figured this weekend would do a some small shopping to get back used to it.

The dumbass delivery person marks DELIVERED and I check and it's not there and the photo they took showing the delivered items was a manhole. So I'm like WTF? and I throw on a cheap surgical mask and walk around the condo complex I'm in and I see the manhole in the front by the dumpster but there's no groceries, and I look around and don't see any groceries or delivery person anywhere.

So I'm walking back and one of my neighbors yells out and asks if I was expecting a delivery of some groceries and it turns out the person delivered them to the wrong neighbor like 5 units down who just happened to be around and take them inside and was on the lookout for someone looking for missing groceries.

And the neighbor was very talky, very close range and no mask while leading me back to their place and giving me the grocery bags which was annoying and gave me anxiety.

Luckily for CA it's a very cold day because all the refrigerated cold stuff was still cold even though it'd be like 10-15 mins.

Gave the driver 1-star and docked his tip from 20% to 5%. Like how the fuck do you deliver stuff to a completely different address?? I've been getting groceries delivered weekly for a year and of course this is the first time this ever happened.

Feels like it's the universe's way of telling me to stop using instacart now and go and get my own groceries now that I'm vaccinated.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #8349 on: April 21, 2021, 06:26:06 PM »
Just feed at taco bell like the rest of us bro
:O

james

« Reply #8350 on: April 26, 2021, 01:40:30 PM »
For some reason my ad blocker stopped working and holy shit the internet is an absolute nightmare. People do this????

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8351 on: April 26, 2021, 01:53:45 PM »

yes

🤴

Tasty

« Reply #8352 on: May 02, 2021, 02:54:38 AM »
It's been time to go for a while.

Bye.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8353 on: May 02, 2021, 02:58:22 AM »

Bye.
where we going  ??? ::)

Tasty

PM's open~
« Reply #8354 on: May 02, 2021, 03:05:34 AM »

Bye.
where we going  ??? ::)

See you soon. :)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8355 on: May 02, 2021, 03:32:10 AM »
 :hmm

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8356 on: May 02, 2021, 04:42:59 AM »
 :idont

Beezy

« Reply #8357 on: May 06, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »
Noticed a bunch of little tiny gnats in the soil of one of my plants this morning. I'm ready to go to war or toss out the whole plant. :maf

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8358 on: May 08, 2021, 04:36:25 AM »
Get nematodes. That's one of the only ways to get rid of those.

If that's too much work, get rid of the plant. They'll start infecting other plants.

Beezy

« Reply #8359 on: May 09, 2021, 04:19:19 AM »
I googled nematodes and... :holeup

I'm willing to try the other ways first.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #8360 on: May 12, 2021, 07:39:38 AM »
I haven’t posted here in forever so I may as well give an update:

- Got promoted to vice president at the age of 35
- My work hours are about 80-90 hours per week. I don’t know who said people at this level work less but they’re full of shit
- Have a great girlfriend I’ve been seeing the last four months. She’s talked about wanting kids and I’m rolling with it
- Not a single dent made in my large Switch backlog
- Dog had several lumps removed. Thank God they were not cancerous
- Want to buy a house but prices are absolutely insane
- Got car paid off but coincidentally needed about $2,000 worth of repairs at the most inconvenient time

This thread felt the most appropriate to post this. This isn’t much of a triumph overall but just ok overall.
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #8361 on: May 21, 2021, 02:41:12 AM »
I grabbed toilet paper today and a fucking biggest roach ever was hiding on the hidden side and rolled onto my hand. Fuckerrr!!

And then I was not paying attention and when taking my night medications I accidently took a B Complex mega-vitamin that I take in the mornings and is once a day thing at like 500% Daily Value and it's only been 12 hours. Spent 15 mins afterwards looking up if any side effects could be actually dangerous. Instead it looks like just could have itchy welts, stomach sickness, insomnia and short term nerve loss in arms & legs.... :doge

Not been my best day!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8362 on: May 21, 2021, 02:47:39 AM »
B complex mega vitamin sounds awesome.

My energy bill is up 300% :neo
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8363 on: May 27, 2021, 11:31:51 AM »
secondary monitor died so I go on amazon and after a while find one decent price to buy and order it, was coming Tuesday

on Tuesday afternoon the status changes from "delivered by 10pm" to "delayed in transit" and that's all it's said since then, there's like no explanation for what this means

:existential

james

« Reply #8364 on: May 27, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »
- My work hours are about 80-90 hours per week. I don’t know who said people at this level work less but they’re full of shit

The secret is to delegate all your work and then go golf

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #8365 on: May 27, 2021, 01:54:21 PM »
secondary monitor died so I go on amazon and after a while find one decent price to buy and order it, was coming Tuesday

on Tuesday afternoon the status changes from "delivered by 10pm" to "delayed in transit" and that's all it's said since then, there's like no explanation for what this means

bork got a new monitor

james

« Reply #8366 on: May 28, 2021, 12:36:27 AM »
Someone blocked me on twitter in the middle of a conversation

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8367 on: May 28, 2021, 08:43:44 AM »
hungover on a Friday. cool.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8368 on: May 28, 2021, 08:52:36 AM »

Contact Amazon and get another one sent out or a refund.
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8369 on: May 28, 2021, 10:59:43 AM »
Made my morning coffee, put it through the french press, took a sip.  I forgot to boil the water. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #8370 on: May 28, 2021, 11:53:14 AM »
Contact Amazon and get another one sent out or a refund.
I did that this morning as the bot was up on the page and I told the very nice girl from India that I'd just like another one sent. So she sets it up and it's being shipped for Sunday. Easy peasy.

An hour later I get an e-mail notification, the original package is somehow on a truck and is being delivered. I check the site and it's six stops away, dude comes around like 20 minutes later. Now I have my monitors already setup* and I'm still scheduled to get another package on Sunday. :dead

Thanks Jeff!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*bonus minor inconvenience: the stand was unclear on first go of how to put it together, so I look at the two page sheet that came in the box and it says "the stand comes already attached before shipment and is not detachable" which no it fucking doesn't, it came in three parts I had to screw together and then attach to the monitor :lol
[close]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 11:58:52 AM by benjipwns »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #8371 on: May 28, 2021, 11:58:08 AM »
Bezos once sent me a copy of GTA5 for PS4 that I never ordered, I sold it to some bozo at work :win
(ice)

james

« Reply #8372 on: May 28, 2021, 05:30:10 PM »
Facebook memories showed me a photo.

Im wearing my "new" shirt

It was 4 years ago

:ohhh

Bebpo

« Reply #8373 on: July 19, 2021, 03:22:03 AM »
I keep having weird bugs at my place.

Last summer during the pandemic something I ordered must have had pantry moth infestation and quickly they infested my house. Even with cleaners and going through everything and traps catching hundreds of them never been able to find their hive so I just swat them daily and replace the traps every few months when they are full of hundreds.

Then I think my house cleaners last on Friday somehow brought fucking BEETLES into my house. Never seen a beetle in 11 years here and then the next day I found a dead beetle on the ground and was like wtf is this. Then suddenly 5 mins ago at my computer there is this buzzing noise and I look around and there's a small brown beetle flying around and I can't catch it and it disappears somewhere. So now I have beetles too?

Also had like 1 cockroach that would go and and down floors through the walls and it's like the only cockroach I've ever seen and I put traps and it died and hopefully that is that.

I also get constant wasp nests in the overhangs on my outdoor balcony. I have an exterminator get rid of them and then a month later there's 2 new nests. It just never ends. My area is filled with yellowjackets. I was getting gas across the street at the station and there were yellowjackets flying around the pump.

Also house spiders but I'm cool with spiders. And bees and I'm cool with bees.

Still definitely ready to move one of these years...

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8374 on: July 19, 2021, 05:12:46 AM »
The heel came off my shoe while I was at work. Only a minor inconvenience because they're a spare pair that I leave at work for when I ride my bike in.

Bonus triumph:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Found a new pair that are similar online for 70% off.
[close]
Spud

Raist

« Reply #8375 on: July 19, 2021, 10:58:32 AM »
It's been 30C three days in a row. Which in London is an absolutely nightmare.

Walked for 20mins (one way) after work to collect a parcel that "couldn't be delivered" (usually meaning, can't be arsed).

Office of the gigantic central depot for the whole area decided that they're closing at 2pm instead of 7 on Mondays of all days as of a couple of weeks ago.

Fuck the Royal Mail.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8376 on: July 19, 2021, 08:46:33 PM »
Just got carded at the LCBO so I couldn't buy booze to put me to sleep tonight.  Humble triumph that my headband hides my deciding hairline well. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8377 on: July 20, 2021, 09:13:17 AM »
benadryl puts me out but it's a bad sleep.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8378 on: July 21, 2021, 09:45:13 AM »
I had a nightmare that I was playing touch tag with an elderly wheelchairbound Werner Herzog in an elementary school classroom.  It was in teams and Herzog was teamed with a guy in a full-body bear costume.  But this bear guy was really dumb and didn't get my strategy of shifting desks to block his path, which made Herzog very angry.   

Bebpo

« Reply #8379 on: July 28, 2021, 07:42:14 PM »
Been trying to get in for an MRI for health issues and because covid shenagins every MRI center is backed up a month. Can't imagine how fucked this is for people experiencing life or death stuff who need to get in for imaging.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8380 on: August 04, 2021, 10:22:57 PM »
I am in the USA for reasons. I’m looking after some family matters and staying in my family home here. When I arrived Sunday night, I found the home’s HVAC system had conked out a few months before. The car that had not been started for 15 months was also unable to start due to a dead battery or more.

I have spent the near-entirety of Monday and Tuesday waiting on other people to deliver things and fix things. Unlike Japan, none of them showed up on time. The HVAC guy showed up for a Monday appointment Tuesday at 4 PM. The mechanic showed up for an expected  2 PM appointment at 9 PM at night. Both of them were really nice guys, and did what they could. The mechanic took care of the battery problem on the first pass. Thankfully my neighbor knew an electrician that solve the HVAC problem mid day Wednesday.

I’ve got enough shit to worry about without being immobile and overheated. I am really glad I had two weeks in California to decompress before I had to deal with all of this. What a clusterfuck.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #8381 on: August 07, 2021, 05:30:04 PM »
Had the GlenDronach 21 year old whisky (around 200 dollars a bottle) and it wasn't that good.

I wish they didn't fuck up the Laphroaig 10 year old. Recent bottlings of it have been terrible. Where's the love it or hate it whisky that was my favourite...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8382 on: August 07, 2021, 06:34:18 PM »
I like Laphroaig QC better than 10.  Use to be my go-to until the LCBO raised the price by 25%.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #8383 on: August 08, 2021, 12:53:34 AM »
I like Laphroaig QC better than 10.  Use to be my go-to until the LCBO raised the price by 25%.
The quarter cask is the best balance of peat in an Islay Scotch. I love it. It’s my go to when I want that flavor profile.

james

« Reply #8384 on: August 11, 2021, 01:50:23 PM »
I paid $14 for an acai bowl and I got like a half scoop of acai

:fbm

james

« Reply #8385 on: August 11, 2021, 02:13:32 PM »
I was banned from a splatoon discord for saying people without vaccine should be excluded from society

james

« Reply #8386 on: August 11, 2021, 02:19:35 PM »
I was banned from a splatoon discord for saying people without vaccine should be excluded from society

This one really hit because they were good players

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8387 on: August 11, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
imagine never being let into the discord to begin with  :stahp

james

« Reply #8388 on: August 11, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »

This one really hit because they were good players

Got kicked from affiliated server too

And I just added like 6 of them to my Switch friends list two days ago

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8389 on: August 11, 2021, 02:33:00 PM »
©@©™

james

« Reply #8390 on: August 11, 2021, 02:34:16 PM »

I hadnt played Splatoon in 1 year 6 month and then this happens to me. They sucked me back in only to spit me out

And we were going to play Splatoon 1 on Wii U this weekend

:stahp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8391 on: August 11, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8392 on: August 12, 2021, 12:35:18 AM »
Got a new iPhone 12 Pro like 4 weeks ago.
I've been BABYING it. Like, super careful.
Earlier today, I ordered a new $40 case for it, to prevent harm. It will arrive tomorrow.
Set an alarm to remind me to give my Mom her medication. It went off in the parking lot.
I pulled the phone of my pocket. It slipped out of my hands and fell onto the asphalt.
It works fine, didn't do anything weird (yet), but the bezel looks like a pitbull tried to chew toy it.
I hadn't eaten anything proper yet, and the adrenaline spike made my knees wobbly. I was SO PISSED at myself.

…later I realized that I could've even turned off the alarm via my watch, instead of even taking it out of my pocket.

:maf

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8393 on: August 12, 2021, 02:59:50 AM »
Update: I can’t charge it now.

archnemesis

« Reply #8394 on: August 12, 2021, 03:00:32 AM »
My previous phone's screen had to replaced twice. I ordered my current iPhone with an overpriced official flip case to avoid the same thing from happening again.

It's a bit bulky, but a positive change is that I no longer see the screen so I'm less distracted by notifications.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8395 on: August 12, 2021, 03:45:12 AM »
What phone doesn't ship with a cheap plastic case these days?
Spud

Raist

« Reply #8396 on: August 12, 2021, 04:02:58 AM »
What phone doesn't ship with a cheap plastic case these days?

Are you familiar with Apple? :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8397 on: August 12, 2021, 08:32:36 AM »
been rawdogging my iphones for years :rejoice
©@©™

james

« Reply #8398 on: August 12, 2021, 12:25:26 PM »

You might still be able to add the insurance

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8399 on: August 12, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »

You might still be able to add the insurance

I bought the AppleCarePlus, so I’m covered. But it’s a Japanese phone, so getting the correct carrier version would’ve taken time.

I went in to the Apple Store, and the guy there cleaned the port. Apparently it’s unrelated to the drop: some kinda crud. Completely baffled as to what it might be.

Charges again now.

Case arrives tonight.