Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 885177 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: minor inconveniences that are not struggles
« Reply #8460 on: October 26, 2021, 09:14:23 AM »
Relatable.
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8461 on: October 26, 2021, 04:18:05 PM »
Answering potential robocalls in 2021  :nope
Margs

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8462 on: October 26, 2021, 09:46:17 PM »
[EXT FOREST: NIGHT. MOONLIGHT FILTERS THROUGH THE BOUGHS OF TREES. THE BRANCHES STRETCH OVERHEAD, GRASPING TOWARD EACH OTHER TO BLOCK TE LIGHT. FARAWAY, THE SCREECHES AND MOANS OF ANIMALS CAN BE HEARD.]

[A HIKER, DESPONDENT AND BEDRAGGLED, SITS ALONE ON GROUND. NO PATH IS VISIBLE. THEY ARE LOST.]

[THE HIKER’S PHONE RINGS]

[LOST HIKER ANSWERS PHONE]

HIKER: HELLO?

VOICE ON PHONE: WE’VE BEEN TRYING TO REACH YOU ABOUT YOUR CAR’S EXTENDED WARRANTY.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8463 on: October 29, 2021, 11:54:20 PM »
While in the USA, I watched a shit-ton of 8-Out-of-10 Cats Does Countdown on YouTube. The advertisements drove me nuts, so I opted in to the Premium free month, and now I don't think I can go back to the advertising version.

...seems like the (included) YouTube Music even works here in Japan.

It seems ridiculous to pay more for YouTube than I do for Netflix, but those goddamned ads really do drive me insane.

Quaker

« Reply #8464 on: October 30, 2021, 01:47:37 AM »
While in the USA, I watched a shit-ton of 8-Out-of-10 Cats Does Countdown on YouTube. The advertisements drove me nuts, so I opted in to the Premium free month, and now I don't think I can go back to the advertising version.

...seems like the (included) YouTube Music even works here in Japan.

It seems ridiculous to pay more for YouTube than I do for Netflix, but those goddamned ads really do drive me insane.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nordvpn/comments/nu4st9/youtube_premium_subscription_for_way_cheaper/

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8465 on: November 12, 2021, 04:51:32 AM »
Moved into my new house in September, was meant to get internet and TV in on September 22nd, it's now the 25th. Engineer came today, basically by the exchange the pit has collapsed.

So that means my ass is gonna be waiting at least another month for them to fix that issue and also come out AGAIN for my install.

I just want internet, using phone data is absolutely shit. Like honestly, if I could go somewhere else and get decent speed I would, but I can't fucking Stockholm syndrome.

I wouldn't be so annoyed, but the customer service has been so shit. None of the internal teams seem to have any clue what is going on between departments.

Alas, yet another phone call in a bit to have yet another argument. Fuck my life!

Quick update on this, it was meant to be installed on Saturday, but they have changed it to December LOL fuck me.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #8466 on: November 12, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »
I thought the OF subscription was cancelled but it kept renewing and she never came to visit me

:existential

:O

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8467 on: November 29, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
As posted in the triumph thread, I have new UHD monitors at home. The working one is lovely.

I've been working at a standing desk setup at home for 1.5 years. I very much like it, except for when days go 12-14 hours. Then it's a drag. But I'm still a fan.

Took my crappy 19" Acer HD monitor off of my monitor arm, reattached its base, couldn't get the cosmetic panels back on. No biggie.

Tried to put the new UHD monitor on the arm. The monitor's bezel is about 2mm too small to accept the VESA mount. Tried every angle. Did everything except force it.*

Ended up disassembling my setup, putting the PC on the floor, and putting BOTH monitors on a seated-height desk.

First monitor works immediately. Looks GREAT.  Try connecting second screen, but 1.8 meter 4K DisplayCable balks at driving 2nd monitor. Try MST daisychaining them, fail. Order replacement cable.

Fingers crossed.

Didn't know about these, may grab later:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074YF658G/
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8468 on: February 09, 2022, 01:30:26 AM »
Left for lunch early to go get a haircut. I'm usually every 5-6 weeks, and I'm currently on 7 or 8 right now.

Get to the barber, take a number: 29.

There are usually 4 barbers working. Today, midday Wednesday, there are 2.

They call nijuushichi, 27, so I should be good to go.

There are a number of waiting pensioners there. Not sure if they're waiting for their friends haircuts to finish, their wives to pick them up, or if they're in line.

Wait for 40 minutes of my 60 minute lunch.

They call the next customer: nijuuni. WTF, so they actually called nijuuichi not nijuushichi. FML.

Get up and leave, realizing I won't be seen today. The barbers call apologies after me as I exit, a shambling, hairy mess.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #8469 on: February 12, 2022, 02:14:01 PM »
I’ve been vice president for a year now and I feel utterly frazzled. It has been one nonstop sprint since I started with absolutely no slowing down. I actually got knocked out with COVID-19 for about two weeks in January and still had to work through it. I see my girlfriend once a week for a couple hours. Depression and despair is starting to set in.
🍆🍆

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8470 on: February 12, 2022, 06:19:28 PM »
:doge

I should have got 2 tacos de chivo at the oaxaqueno truck  :delicious they make their own tortillas and it makes a difference when there's extra love put into the food like that  :heart

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8471 on: February 13, 2022, 06:46:04 PM »
It’s my Monday while most of y’all are still enjoying Sunday.

james

« Reply #8472 on: March 08, 2022, 03:19:34 AM »
I need to use 16 vacation days before July 1 or I lose them

:nintex

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8473 on: March 08, 2022, 03:40:33 AM »
I need to use 16 vacation days before July 1 or I lose them

:nintex

As someone who, over the course of 10.5 years at an employer which only kept the last two years' of PTO, and who lost literal months of available paid time off, I'm telling you to USE THAT SHIT.

Stay home, play Elden Ring or try to break your personal best masturbation record. But that time off is yours to do with what you like. It's part of your compensation. Don't be like me.

james

« Reply #8474 on: July 19, 2022, 01:46:03 PM »
So Ive been using the same music streaming service, Napster/Rhaposdy, since 2004.

You know, before Spotify even existed. It was one of the OG unlimited music streaming services, along with Yahoo Unlimited (lol).

They recently got bought out by some tech imbeciles and now the app barely works. Takes forever to load.

The company plans to operate Napster 3.0 on the Algorand blockchain, which is a proof of stake chain. Bloomberg reports that Algorand and Brevan Howard Digital Assets were among the consortium of buyers involved in the Hivemind Capital Partners acquisition of Napster. Lovell has declined to provide a timeline for launch of Napster 3.0, but here’s what we know.

The company plans to launch a $NAPSTER token on the Algorand blockchain aimed at music listeners, rights holders, and artists. The supply of these tokens is capped at 10 billion coins and it will be managed by the Napster Innovation Foundation. The idea is to offer rewards to stakeholders, denominated in $NAPSTER. Eventually, holders of the token may be given a say over how the business is run through a process called governance.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/07/07/whats-next-for-napster-2022/

Fuuuuuuck yoooouuuuuuu

Aside from having 15 fucking years of music history on my account, it was actually a better service than Spotify etc. Pays artists more, no podcasts, and worked well.

Even had a dedicated Wii U app that took full advantage of the tablet.

Nintendo of Europe and Napster announces a partnership today that will see Napster, the world-renowned music streaming service, become available on Wii U, via a free downloadable application available to all Wii U owners across Europe from December 17th.

With over 34 million tracks Napster is one of the world’s leading subscription-based digital music services, offering one of the most complete online music collections. Wii U owners with a Napster Unlimited subscription will have access to the full Napster service through their Wii U console, and with the Wii U GamePad’s touch screen, will be able to easily search for a specific track, album or artist as well as browse by genre, top albums, tracks and artists, ensuring music enthusiasts can discover and play the latest releases.

The Wii U GamePad's touch screen can also be used to access hundreds of curated radio stations by genre, artist, theme or mood, as well as Napster Playlists created by Napster’s group of resident music experts. Wii U users can also access their library of favourite tracks and personal playlists, created in the Napster app for smartphones and tablets or via the Napster web service.

To access Napster, Wii U owners will be able to download the free application from Nintendo eShop, which will allow Napster Unlimited subscribers to begin listening immediately. Wii U owners who aren’t yet Napster subscribers will be able to sign up for a 30-day free trial at the Napster website.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2015/December/Nintendo-of-Europe-and-Napster-team-up-to-bring-streaming-music-service-to-Wii-U-from-December-17th-1076765.html

The only music platform on the Wii U.

But now these fucks are ruining everything and I dont know what to do

:rage :rage :rage :rage

james

« Reply #8475 on: July 19, 2022, 03:40:35 PM »
Have you considered not playing with children's toys

how is a music streaming service a childs toy?

james

« Reply #8476 on: July 19, 2022, 05:17:11 PM »
You're listening to it on a WiiU

....I listen on my phone and PC. Learn to read moran

Tasty

« Reply #8477 on: July 19, 2022, 05:17:21 PM »
YouTube Music breh 8)

Bebpo

« Reply #8478 on: July 19, 2022, 11:53:42 PM »
Two weeks in and my 10 week year old cats are sweet but so much work. Every day has been a new issue that crops up and figuring out a solution.

The girl kitten wasn't fully weaned off her mom (aka learned what she needed before leaving) at the 8 weeks I got them and so she's kinda slow and lately has developed a sucking syndrome of always sucking on her brother's belly which is dangerous. I keep separating them and sometimes the brother will be proactive and push her off, but it still happens a few times a day. Pretty stressful. Trying to teach the brother how to push her off when she does that. Also trying to get the girl cat to start sucking on a blanket or something instead but she has no interest in anything else.

james

« Reply #8479 on: July 20, 2022, 12:35:00 AM »
So I signed up to Amazon Music for a free month to listen to music without issue and see if Napster gets their shit together...

AND HOLY SHIT THEY OFFER ALL THE HD+ AUDIO FORMATS IN THE $8 PLAN

WTF didnt I know this??? I knew about Tidal and $20 a month but had no idea Amazon had undercut them.

Only regret is apparently they were doing a 4 month free thing for Prime day last week. But I think I might stay with this? Just need to confirm it plays nice with my TV and surround setup which can get finicky.

Tasty

« Reply #8480 on: July 20, 2022, 12:56:36 AM »
Amazon killed their music locker a while back which also killed any chance I would use them...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8481 on: July 20, 2022, 01:14:42 AM »
Apple has pulled almost zero fuckery with their services. They're the only content vendor with which I've had near-zero problems.

Microsoft, Amazon, Google: Each of them has made purchased content (not rental, not freely available streamed) unavailable due to current geographic location vs. place-of-purchase.

Even motherfucking Hasbro/Wizards-of-the-Coast have deactivated D&D books because I'm in Japan.

Fuck these twats.

james

« Reply #8482 on: July 20, 2022, 09:53:38 AM »
Prime Music won't cast to my TV properly  :existential :existential :existential

Bebpo

« Reply #8483 on: July 21, 2022, 01:33:52 AM »
Kind of follow up to my kittens, but I think I'm giving them back to their original owners because after two weeks it's just not working out unfortunately.

I've lived with two cats before when I lived with my fiance at my place here (1 adult cat, one raising a kitten) and I've been around cats a lot of my life. Last girlfriend had 1 cat and helped raise kittens from shelters until they were old enough to be adopted and I spent lots of time raising those kittens and her cat liked me. I always thought that if I got cats again I'd get two siblings so they wouldn't be lonely and everything recommends that for their health and happiness.

But these two have just been the most mischievous dual team-up cats I've ever met. They don't listen to anything I say, the male alpha cat is the most confident and smart "this is my place and I don't give a shit about you" cat I've ever met and the female cat seems mentally stunted. They're both adorable sweet cats when they're exhausted and napping, but otherwise they just run around like psychos all day fighting and destroying everything in their way and try to kill themselves in various ways and sometimes randomly attack me and basically make every part of my life far more difficult than it was previously. I spend like all my free time every day trying to work with them through positive reinforcement but they're stubborn and it's just a lot of extra stress.

I got cats again because after covid I thought it would be good for mental health when isolated living alone to have pets. Especially since I have a lot of health issues and chronic pain. But I'm honestly pretty miserable and my health has gotten worse because of all the stress from these cats. The first week went fine when they were shy and adjusting and stayed in one part of the house, but this last week has been bad to a degree I never imagined living with cats could be and I'm at my limits.

I probably would have been ok with just the girl cat, at this point her issues are that she tries to climb stuff that will kill her and she slips A LOT watching her which is giving me heart attacks and I can't keep her out of areas because of the way my place is built, today I saw her walk on this railing slipping a bit getting on it which is a 20 foot drop onto hard wood & tile and probably would kill her if she fell. They get over any dog gate/wall I build at this point so there's no stopping them.

and that she has this sucking/nursing problem of always sucking on her brother non-stop when they're both resting together and she's relaxed. Today I caught her sucking on his BUTT which is even worse because of the bacteria. I've tried all the recommended solutions like separating them and spraying a new blanket with feliway to try to get her to suck on it, but nothing works (and obviously I separate them and tell them no every time I see it). 

This was before it got even worse and more frequent and now all I hear is sucking suction noises while they nap together anywhere in the house.

If they were split up that would take care of the latter issue. But at this point they're insanely bonded cats that are basically joined at the hip and it would probably be too cruel to separate them.

I'm giving it until the weekend but I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm gonna give them back this weekend. I feel really bad about it because I've never had to give back a pet, but these two are just not compatible with my place or me.

The only other thing is that the male cat is supposed to get neutered in a few weeks and that might make him less of a standoff-ish attitude kitten. But that's still a few more weeks out so idk. And it might not change anything.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 01:46:28 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #8484 on: July 21, 2022, 04:08:21 PM »
Well today one of the cats bit me and they pushed over a cardboard box to knock over their water fountain so I spent the morning cleaning that up. I texted my friend family that I adopted them from and let them know it wasn't working out and I need to give them back.

I'm going to keep them another week and get their 2nd shots in their 3 round vaccine shots next week and then will be parting ways with them probably next weekend. Feels bad, but I spend like 4-5 hours a day (almost every minute of my free time outside work/eating/chores) playing with them and trying to keep them happy and instead of things getting better each day I feel like my relationship with them is getting worse and worse. I'm starting to get anxious around them that they might leap out and attack me at any moment.

Not sure I mentioned but I got a nasty cut on Sunday from them on the side of my main dominant hand thumb. Less bad than "need stitches" but more bad than a usual cut/scrape. Basically been one handed all week as I try to get it clean and non-infected. I stopped wearing shorts and started wearing pants around my place since then. I could trim their claws, but nervous about getting even more sliced up attempting that. If I wasn't giving them back I'd put on some gloves and long sleeve shirt & jacket and trim their claws, but I'm not gonna bother since it's just one more week.

I've gotten along great with raising kittens before, so not sure what went wrong here. Besides the kittens just having a different background (raised from a feral mom kitten who had them at 8 months old and raised in a household with 2 dogs, 3 kids, a mom and a litter of kittens, adults and indoor and outdoors to play in), another difference is that in the past every time I had cats I was with a woman and I know cats prefer women because the higher pitch voices, so maybe that helped them get along. Plus having two people around to watch them and play with them and help out with the chores so the other person can leave the house for more than a couple hours is helpful. I've been totally cooped up these last two weeks because they can't go more than a couple hours without fresh food and attention.

james

« Reply #8485 on: July 21, 2022, 04:34:29 PM »
Post more cute cat videos

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #8486 on: July 21, 2022, 05:13:13 PM »
Post more cute hog videos
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8487 on: July 21, 2022, 05:54:29 PM »
Sad to hear it's not working out with the cats.

When you get too nervous they can sort of sense that and it will only get worse. From what I understand you have to be strict early on so they understand the limits.
I guess that makes sense because that's how cats treat their own young, they grab them by the neck and pull them away whenever they do something they shouldn't.

I was told by a friend of mine who helped to raise a lot of cats that most people are too gentle with kittens so they don't learn/understand right from wrong.
Luckily cats (unlike dogs) can be trained later in life too. In the other situations it seems like there was always a more dominant figure present, like an older cat or another person.

You could maybe try to introduce them to a third older cat if such an option is available. Older cats don't take shit from kittens and show them their place.
🤴

james

« Reply #8488 on: July 22, 2022, 02:48:58 PM »
Customer service told me to uninstall and reinstall the app and try again and now casting works

:mindblown :rejoice

archnemesis

« Reply #8489 on: November 29, 2022, 02:36:40 AM »
The first two albums I wanted to listen to on Spotify this morning have been removed. Maybe it's time to go back to Napster.

Bebpo

« Reply #8490 on: January 13, 2023, 11:10:37 AM »
Had to replace a washer for the first time because my 12 year old washer had been getting more and more off-balanced and breaking itself to pieces with sections of the washer drum having broken off from the smashing and the lid having broken off and I had to do lots of small washes to keep it from getting off-balanced and dancing around sounding like an earthquake.

I have neighbors on both sides attached walls and I would get anxiety every time I did wash that it would go earthquake and my neighbors would come banging on my door wanting to kill me.

Searching for a washer was a huge pain. Every single washer there was had like 80% good reviews and 20% reviews complaining about them breaking fast and all kinds of nightmare leaks and noises. Ended up going for a top end one with the bells and whistles that seemed to have a higher percentage of good to bad reviews.

Plus a lot of negative reviews for the new HE washers just complain that HE is junk and doesn't wash the clothes as well as before since it's less aggressive and barely covers the clothes in water and just rubs the clothes against each other back and forth. Science seems to say this is rubbish and that it cleans normal stuff fine and is more gentle on clothing and the only downside are its bad for major stains so you need to pre-treat those bits first.

I got my new washer in yesterday, which was a hassle because it's on the 3rd floor of stairs. The hot/cold valves on top apparently have leaks and had to shut the water off for the house entirely and it still made a bit of a mess that had to towel up before putting the new one in.

First wash on the new one was fine. Regular load cold wash, yeah doesn't spin like crazy outside the final spin dry cycle. But probably fine. The Whirpool one I got has this weird load & go tray where you put like a month's worth of detergent in and it auto-figures out how much to disperse each load based on the load size it senses (aka more parts to fail over time). It's kind of weird because you can't tell how much detergent is actually going into the wash as opposed to normal washes when you do. Also this new HE style and HE concentration detergent you don't really see much soap spuds so it's hard to tell if it's cleaning. My stuff doesn't really get particularly dirty with stains so can't tell if it's washing well.

Then at night I did a heavy wash with my heavy bath mats and bathrobe and balanced them across each other. This is the kind of wash that would unbalance and break my old washer. I did a heavy wash which was like 90 mins and it went fine until the last 10 mins on the spin dry cycle where it spins like 850rpm which is really fast and with the heavyness it sounded like a fucking jet engine. It was vibrating heavy, but didn't move at all so could probably handle it, but at 10pm+ with attached walls and the washer being right on a wall and sounding like a jet earthquake...yeah that's still fucked even if it just does that for 10 mins for the spin cycle at the end.

So pretty bummed that after all that, the only thing I wanted was to be able to wash clothes without anxiety of pissing off my neighbors, and my $1,000 new washer on day 1 can't even do that  :-\

Also it's a smart washer where you can set things and track things on your phone with the Whirpool app. But I tried for like 20 mins and the bluetooth remote connection on the washer isn't working and connecting to my phone. Also Whirlpool has terrible troubleshooting for tech stuff. I've tried everything you can try, so I'm just going to assume the BT on the washer is not working. Not sure if it's worth the bother of sitting through customer service with Whirlpool and scheduling a tech to come out for a phone app I don't need and would probably never use.

I wish there was a way to turn the spin cycle down with heavy stuff so it's not spinning so fast since that's what causes the crazy vibration/earthquake. There is a spin MEDIUM setting as opposed to the FAST setting which everything other than delicate uses. Someone online complained that stuff is still soaking wet on medium in the reviews (fast gets stuff more dry than I've ever seen come out of a washer). I'll try doing a medium spin next time I do a heavy load and see how the noise is and how wet it ends up. I could always run it on spin only on fast manually and just let it go for 5 mins and then manually cancel it instead of 10 full minutes if I need to dry it more.

Otherwise will have to just stick to doing heavy loads with as few items as possible (just 1 bathrobe and 1 mat across from each other) and do them during the middle of the day when people have less reason to complain.

Still it's depressing and frustrating after spending all the time researching a new washer, getting it installed and all the money on it, to still have the same issue and anxiety.

Just another reason why I really want to buy a house this year. If I was in a standalone house and the washer was on one end of the house, as long as the washer isn't walking or breaking parts or leaking, if it's vibrating and loud as fuck for 10 mins during the final spin cycle, who cares. No one can hear it and it won't give me anxiety. Also maybe not being on the 3rd floor would lessen the vibration. The installer did balance it, but it might still be a little off, when I move to a new house I may get it re-balanced by a whirlpool tech as well as fixing the BT connection.

Bebpo

« Reply #8491 on: January 13, 2023, 11:20:06 AM »
Also my garage door started falling apart and had to repair that last month for $1k of work. My two year old combo AC/heater unit is already giving me problems and been struggling with heat this winter and need it serviced next week to figure out what's wrong, and my pipes in my guest room bathroom have started to squeak every time water is turned on which I read apparently is the vibration from the pressure of water causing the brass bearings holding the pipe which are wearing down to scrape/vibrate. So I'll need to get a plumber out to like tear behind the walls sooner or later.

My place is old and falling apart /sigh. Will be nice if I can find a house this year. Prices are down a bit, but still every house on sale is double the price it was 5-6 years ago and it's painful paying 1.2M on a house that sold for $680k or something in 2015. You pay all that money and you get basically a starter home instead of a home that feels like a million dollar home.

Not sure if the housing market will still collapse any further. The post-pandemic doubling of home values seems permanent and this is feeling like the bottom of the small decline since last summer when interest rates went up. Probably will just need to swallow the distaste of paying so much for so little and get a place in the spring before prices go back up in the summer season.

james

« Reply #8492 on: January 13, 2023, 04:14:13 PM »
If its a front load, make sure to leave the door open when youre done or else it will smell moldy. Also, every 2 months you need to run a clean cycle with a cleaning tablet

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8493 on: January 13, 2023, 05:00:27 PM »
I have a Samsung ECO Bubble and just use the 1 hour program mostly (which is sufficient for nearly everything) or the 2 hour 'eco program' when I'm out anyway.
It's not too noisy, if I close the bathroom door (and everything is on the same floor in my appartment) I can barely hear it and it makes this sort of 'zooming' sound. Unless I use one of the 'cotton' programs or whatever. My dishwasher is louder.
You don't need to use the 1600 - 3000 RPM modes that these things do these days. It won't make much difference between the 800 or 1000 setting and is again purely for marketing.

App connected applicances are a fraud. The Apps suck and so do the features. It's mostly just a way for them to sell 'new' things or make them attractive as gifts or whatever.
The thing with appliances is, that you still have to walk to the damn thing to put shit in and unload it anyway. So the difference between the App control and walking over to press the button is meaningless.

I have an App connected toothbrush, which sounded neat in theory because it tracks your brushing and tells you if you need to apply more pressure or if you've missed anything.
But when I started to use it I realized that it sucks to look at a screen while brushing your teeth.
You either have to mount it somewhere next to your mirror like an OnlyTok thot making selfies or look down or sideways which makes the whole teeth tracking thing lose orientation and spaz out.
I'm not sure if anyone at Philips has noticed but if you use an electric tooth brush the water and toothpaste tends to splash all over the place (hence the sink).

More and more products I buy with special features just suck. Take this mouse for instance. It doesn't track on any mousepad I've tried except for the cheapest I could find and then a software update broke that too so I can only use it on my desk.
I have to 'recalibrate' the thing every 8 hours otherwise the cursor won't move and Razer support is the worst. They send you a list of instructions, you report back that you did the instructions and you get the next tech support person who treats it like a new case and starts to troubleshoot. You report back and again you get a new person who walks you through the troubleshoot steps. I've uploaded my receipt about 6 times now. The v2 of this mouse I had before this didn't do 25k DPI or whatever but it was a damn good reliable mouse for about 2 - 3 years. This new 'tracking technology' is just broken something all the raving reviews don't mention.
I'm this close to just biting the bullet and go back to Logitech. Replacing a mouse I've used for about 2 months that cost 79,99  :doge
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #8494 on: January 13, 2023, 05:35:49 PM »
Yeah, I've always had top-loaders and stuck with a top-loader because seems harder to get moldy and I already have enough appliances to keep track of cleaning too often.

On the spin settings, there's only medium and high. It looks like it only uses medium on delicate preset but you can adjust any wash. There was one review that complained that spin high = clothes are wrinkled because too fast and spin medium = clothes are soaking because not enough spin. The two test washes I did yesterday were fast spin, so will try a medium spin next time.

Got the app working, had to unplug the machine and plug it back in lol. Not that I'll ever use it much.

james

« Reply #8495 on: January 13, 2023, 05:58:00 PM »
Nintex I have the same toothbrush lol

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8496 on: January 13, 2023, 07:03:46 PM »
Yep, pretty much every app-connected device in my house has had the app abandoned.
Spud

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #8497 on: January 15, 2023, 03:51:34 AM »
Was running a bunch of intensive stuff for work on my macbook yesterday, fans running high blabla nothing out the ordinary.

The difference this time is that after being done with everything, the fans wouldn't calm down and basic stuff is slow as fuck with even occasional freezing. Check the Activity Monitor and fucking kernel_task is still freaking out and won't let go of the goddamn CPU. I tried cleaning junk, resetting the SMC and PRAM. No dice.

Fans go nuts during booting, and it's not an overheating issue anyway since this shit happens with the CPU at 30C right after startup with nothing running.

Halp.

archnemesis

« Reply #8498 on: January 15, 2023, 07:20:49 AM »
I had a similar issue once with a MacBook Pro laptop. The solution was to buy a new charger.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8499 on: January 15, 2023, 08:40:37 PM »
Apple puts all kind of "smart" electronics in their chargers, and sometimes they get confused. Take it to an Apple Store (though you'll have to make an appointment) and they can confirm if its your charger or something else.

Yes, it's lame.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8500 on: January 15, 2023, 10:55:51 PM »
Buy a PC
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8501 on: January 16, 2023, 09:18:49 PM »
Yesterday I would have upvoted that, but today my work laptop is shitting the bed magnificently and I have no idea where to even start fixing it. As may stupid engineering things as Apple puts in their stuff, my problem rate is way, WAY lower on Apple h/w.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8502 on: January 16, 2023, 09:21:14 PM »
Yesterday I would have upvoted that, but today my work laptop is shitting the bed magnificently and I have no idea where to even start fixing it. As may stupid engineering things as Apple puts in their stuff, my problem rate is way, WAY lower on Apple h/w.

Complete opposite for me.  One big reason I ditched Apple products was due to getting no help at an Apple Store for a simple battery issue.

But I don't know what the PC retail/support situation is like in Japan.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8503 on: January 16, 2023, 09:38:53 PM »
My Japan Apple Store experience has also been infuriating.  A few years back, like 10 or more years ago, I had a refurb PowerBook -- oh, jeez, this must be more than 15 years, because the Intel h/w wasn't out yet. This refurb was a fucking lemon, was shipped without proper packaging, and was even missing a power cord at the time. I should have refused receipt, but I was in the middle of a USA trip and didn't know when I'd be able to replace it.

Fast-forward several months, the thing has problems, but Japan's Apple Store won't RMA it for some reason. Despite the fact that it's clearly not working, was damaged prior to customer receipt, and repeated visits, they would not budge.

My USA Apple Store experiences have only ever been positive. I know, weird, right?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8504 on: January 16, 2023, 10:06:08 PM »
My USA Apple Store experiences have only ever been positive. I know, weird, right?

I would have said the same thing until that visit that made me stop buying their products- the really infuriating thing about it was that I did all the troubleshooting they asked me to do on a prior visit and explained everything I'd tried, and was still told to "come back in several weeks" and to "buy a $70 battery case to give it power in the meantime."  That was it for me. 

The best customer service I've had was from a custom PC seller I got my desktop from.  The warranty covered everything and when it got damaged, they replaced the malfunctioning 3080 for free, no questions asked.
ど助平

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #8505 on: January 16, 2023, 10:16:51 PM »
It's a work computer. That's what the nerds in IT support are for.
Spud

Tasty

;)
« Reply #8506 on: January 16, 2023, 11:02:49 PM »
Apple products :crowdlaff

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8507 on: January 17, 2023, 12:23:47 AM »
It's a work computer. That's what the nerds in IT support are for.

I'm a remote worker in a startup with stunningly limited IT resources. I've encouraged prioritizing an IT "minion" hire for supporting in-studio staff, and so I can send my laptop in when it's doing this. As it is, I lost 2 hours to full reboots — Win10, so full Shutdown cold reboots instead of the soft Restart — and I still have no idea why it was misbehaving.
:maf

Raist

« Reply #8508 on: January 17, 2023, 03:01:37 AM »
Okay, I think I figured it out. The two sensors for the goddamn TRACKPAD are not getting picked up, and despite the fact that the other 20ish sensors are telling the OS that no, there is no need to fuck the CPU into oblivion and turn the fans into jet engines, it seems that Apple decided that it's a great idea to do that anyway.
Fuck's sake.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #8509 on: January 19, 2023, 03:12:12 PM »
the bore keeps going down = (

Bebpo

« Reply #8510 on: May 25, 2023, 04:31:04 PM »
That feeling when you like a band's album but they're too small of a band that they never made a vinyl.

That hipster sadness  :notlikethis

Bebpo

« Reply #8511 on: July 05, 2023, 08:38:48 PM »
I went to go see my surgeon in prep for the next surgery in my TEST TRIAL STUDIES OF STEM CELL SURGERIES and when he sold me on this study before surgery 1 he was like "no big deal, minimally invasive, minimal pain, much better than alternatives that can be extremely painful and cripple you for life potentially"

Before surgery 1 where they took a chunk of my flesh out to make the stem cells he's like "bah, little cut, you're good in a couple weeks". Meanwhile here I am SIX WEEKS LATER and I still have a big gash in my belly that's finally started to get more shallow and get closer to closing up but still changing bandages daily and for like four-five weeks it was pretty sore and bloody, got anemia from blood loss, and then was unbearably itchy. So yeah, lot more than a "little cut, no big deal"

This surgeon also usually downplays pain and is like "eh, won't hurt much, no post-op recovery instructions needed. Just take it easy for a bit and take tylenol" when I've had a couple other surgeries with him that took weeks to heal and were bloody and painful for a few weeks.

So now I meet with him before surgery 2 in this study where they put the stem cells in and stitch them up and I ask him what I should expect for recovery and pain and instead of his usual "eh, no big deal, take some tylenol", he kind of makes this pursed lips serious face and is like "in some...patients...recovery can be...quite painful...we'll be giving you some pain meds just in case"

:doge

Yeah, not looking forward to this!

Also CA latest doctor regulations only lets docs dish out 5 days of pain killers at a time. So if my doc doesn't want to renew them I might just have like 5 days for a very painful surgery recovering. Yikes.

Hopefully it's less bad than expected. Also hopefully works. Seems to only have about a 60% chance of success, but if it fails shouldn't cause damage and just will be back to where I am now which isn't great but manageable.

Also because it's a test, I may not even get the stem cell thing and just be in the control group. So then none of this will happen. But the study is setup where if you miss out you have the option to get the stem cell surgery at the end of the study in 9 months so I'd still go through this, just later. And you don't know which group you are in until you wake up post-procedure. FUN.

I also get to go and do 1 hour+ long MRIs once a month and then get stuck in 2 hours+ of traffic like I did today. At least I took a nap in the MRI machine so it wasn't all bad.

Bebpo

« Reply #8512 on: July 05, 2023, 08:43:21 PM »
If you want to see some GURO GORE

Not safe for life
This is how my "were gonna just take a sugar cube chunk of flesh from you to make stem cells" wound looked like for the first 3-4 weeks.
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

This is how it looks now after six weeks so it's getting close to finally healing thankfully. Will end up taking 7-8 weeks and probably leave a nasty scar.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #8513 on: July 05, 2023, 09:19:29 PM »
Also, between all the house stress shit for the last few months, and all the surgery shit for the past few months I'm dealing with, plus having torn my achilles tendons in January and been through two foot doctors and still can't get back to exercise now six months later beyond walks and have to drive without a shoe,

I've basically given up on any in-person human interaction for a few months and am just hoping to get past all this by the end of 2023 so I can get a life in 2024.

Meanwhile I figure since I'm not socializing/dating at all right, this is the best opportunity in my life to try to grow a wizard beard and see how far my beard will take me. I'm about 2 months now and I'm basically at Pirate stage.

Raist

« Reply #8514 on: July 07, 2023, 03:24:56 AM »
Just need to throw a couple lit fuses in there and you're all set.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8515 on: July 07, 2023, 03:35:44 PM »
My dad was treated for pancreatic cancer 3 weeks ago, success, cancer gone.
He had to stay in the hospital for a week and I had to take car of mom, who suffers from psychosis and depressions and is only able to make a sandwich and a cup of tea.
On the 3rd day she wouldn't eat, drink or literally do anything but lie in bed and stare at the ceiling. Didn't want to visit dad either.
Dad totally freaked out in the hospital, because he realized that he wouldn't be able to take care of her anymore.
Called my uncle (dads brother) to help out with mom, after 2 days of intense caretaking I got her back from the abyss and she finally joined us to visit dad in the hospital.
A few days later dad recovered enough to be allowed to go home.

On friday I get a call. "I'm in pain and your mother has lost it and can't call the doctor"
I head over to find her sort of confused downstairs and my dad crawled up in bed with terrible pain.
Called an ambulance but had to send him to the hospital alone, so I could take care of mom.
Sure enough the hospital called with the report that he had an internal bleeding and they would try to treat it.
A few hours later a call came that the treatment was a success. Mom recovered just enough so I could head over to visit him and bring some stuff.

Over the next few days he got blood transfusions and slowly recovered.
Mom also stabilized again, thankfully.
Today we were going to pick him up but then news broke that he developed diabetes because of the pancreatic surgery.
Mom had forgotten to bring her medicine, so I had to take her home first and then return back to dad.
Meanwhile the doctors quickly gave him a tutorial in insulin injections and whatnot.
After I returned, we sat and waited for 4 hours for the medication to arrive from the pharmacy and I could finally take him home.

He's home now, somewhat confused and annoyed that he has to measure his blood sugar levels and use more injections.

I've started to clean up the house because it's a mess. My dad is one of those boomers that hoards useless shit.
Some sort of milk packaging can be re-used to store paint or whatever. So the house is just filled with neatly stacked boxes of stuff.
Also loads and loads of decade old brochures and flyers stacked up in the living room.
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8516 on: July 27, 2023, 06:56:38 PM »
Dude, that’s not a fucking minor inconvenience. Please see yourself to the struggle thread. Fuck.

Take care of yourself first. This kind of thing can be traumatizing.