Author Topic: minor inconveniences that are not struggles  (Read 885189 times)

skullstorm

Re: minor inconveniences that are not struggles
« Reply #7080 on: May 26, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
Is he hot?

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7081 on: May 27, 2019, 12:37:24 AM »
While doing laundry I noticed an unopened bottle of mouthwash next to one of the bottles of detergent in the laundry room. My first thought upon seeing this was, "Why is there an unopened bottle of mouthwash in the laundry room?" Then I internally responded to my question with another question, "Why shouldn't there be an unopened bottle of mouthwash in the laundry room?" I had no response to this rhetorical question because the logic was unassailable.

They've finally broken my brain. No gods, no masters y'all. ✊

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7082 on: May 27, 2019, 01:07:09 AM »
That was god talking back to you. You're still a slave.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #7083 on: May 27, 2019, 02:38:36 AM »
While doing laundry I noticed an unopened bottle of mouthwash next to one of the bottles of detergent in the laundry room. My first thought upon seeing this was, "Why is there an unopened bottle of mouthwash in the laundry room?" Then I internally responded to my question with another question, "Why shouldn't there be an unopened bottle of mouthwash in the laundry room?" I had no response to this rhetorical question because the logic was unassailable.

They've finally broken my brain. No gods, no masters y'all. ✊
i had a similar experience except with unopened shampoo, and i thought it makes more sense for it to be somewhere in the bathroom so moved it

El Babua

« Reply #7084 on: May 27, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
Turned on computer after coming home last night. Everything was super choppy. Laptop CPU speed is capped at 380 mhz.

It's a 2.3 ghz dual core processor. Too drunk to figure this shit out lol

El Babua

« Reply #7085 on: May 27, 2019, 07:23:05 AM »
I have hwmonitor installed so I'll check it out after I'm back home.

Might also be an issue with the battery sensor being fucked up.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7086 on: May 27, 2019, 06:39:53 PM »
Sorry you broke your penis twice
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:44:12 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7087 on: May 27, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
I withdraw my sorry

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7088 on: May 28, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
My gay haircutter got my phone number out of the corporate database to text me  :beli

That's, like, crazily inappropriate.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #7089 on: May 28, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
yeah dude, jokes aside, I was not happy about it... but I am willing to put up with a certain level of sexual harassment for what is probably the best haircutter I've had in a while. artistic offsets principle.
每天生气

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #7090 on: May 29, 2019, 01:56:24 AM »
why don't you say barber instead of haircutter?

skullstorm

« Reply #7091 on: May 30, 2019, 01:30:44 PM »
Go for the dad bod instead and it's all good 8)

I've actually been eating a lot of ice cream lately too even though the past few years I'd only eaten ice cream a handful of times. Now in a couple of months I've eaten as much as I did probably all last year and maybe the year before combined.

The ice cream industry is trying to enslave us  :hans1

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #7092 on: May 30, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
My HDD died.  :'(
It was the one with games on it, so all i've lost is saves and the games/mods themselves.

The fact that i have to buy a new drive is the worst part of it, tbh, but i'm thinking of going with an SSD this time.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #7093 on: May 30, 2019, 06:40:27 PM »
Yeah i was looking on Amazon, and SSD prices aren't all that tragic anymore.
A 500GB one is around 70€ (the one that broke was 1TB, but i had a lot of pointless bullshit installed, so 500 should be enough for the amount i actually play).

El Babua

« Reply #7094 on: May 30, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
Using an SSD for the boot and a 4TB HDD for games on my desktop.

As far as the laptop situation goes, I initially assumed it was a Zombieload update on Windows fucking up my cpu speed since everything else looked fine. Did a system restore that took forever, but seemed to reset fine, but the CPU throttle persisted. Shut it down, and when I turned it on again, I got the "Preparing Automatic Repair" boot up screen.

On the recovery options, an Admin account wasn't detected so I couldn't reset or even start windows in safe mode. Shit sucks, so I bought a new laptop :/

El Babua

« Reply #7095 on: May 30, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
I was thinking about a fresh windows install, but I have no idea if the CPU issue is related to hardware, BIOS, or something else. Unfortunately Acer has a shitty UEFI that doesn't say shit.

Why wouldn’t you install the games on the SSD?

Massively increases load times.

Load times for me aren't too bad honestly. Only have 500GB of space, so if a couple modern games do get installed on it, it's not gonna have room for much else. Obviously, I can delete them, but I'm paranoid about limited SSD rewrite cycles.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7096 on: May 30, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »
some games flat out perform better on SSDs too, a lot of modern games are designed with them in mind so you run into weird problems

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #7097 on: May 30, 2019, 08:35:48 PM »
I was thinking about a fresh windows install, but I have no idea if the CPU issue is related to hardware, BIOS, or something else. Unfortunately Acer has a shitty UEFI that doesn't say shit.

Why wouldn’t you install the games on the SSD?

Massively increases load times.

Load times for me aren't too bad honestly. Only have 500GB of space, so if a couple modern games do get installed on it, it's not gonna have room for much else. Obviously, I can delete them, but I'm paranoid about limited SSD rewrite cycles.
Doesn't seem that terrible:
https://techreport.com/review/26058/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-data-retention-after-600tb

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7098 on: May 31, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »
You don't have to worry about SSD endurance that much. TBW (terabytes written) and DWPD (drive writes per day, i.e. overwriting the entire drive) over the warranty period will let you figure out how much it will take for the NAND to clap out. It takes a bit, even for cheap drives.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:52:44 PM by Rufus »

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #7099 on: May 31, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »
Having the craziest insomnia this week;  I'm a caffeine drinker but haven't been overdoing it or anything.  Last night was the worst;  I was so fucking tired, but my brain was wired as hell.  Tried everything but taking sleeping meds since I needed to get up early for work but I wish I'd just taken something.   I have vague memories of being awake or half awake all night with my mind buzzing, my eyes moving, etc.   "Woke up" at 4 AM (I am unsure if I was actually asleep) and was almost in a panic'd state.  Could not stop my mind from spinning with this sort of paranoia that my brain will never sleep again.  Did not go back to "sleep" or whatever you want to call laying in bed tired and dazed but still partially awake.

Work is brutal today.
i had a similar experience pulling an nighter and drinking some no-name energy drink that was incredibly salty and had something like 300% of rda of vitamin b, the following night i was fucked just like how you described

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #7100 on: June 05, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
Made homemade sambal with madame jeanette peppers. Might be too hot? I'll serve it at a party and tell people it's the mild one I made last time.

BisMarckie

« Reply #7101 on: June 05, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »
Heatwave is killing me. :goty
Might have to buy a kiddy pool. 

BisMarckie

« Reply #7102 on: June 09, 2019, 07:08:53 AM »
Why don’t you just buy it at a store?  :doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #7103 on: June 09, 2019, 07:29:20 AM »
What do you need?

BisMarckie

« Reply #7104 on: June 09, 2019, 08:38:14 AM »
Hardware stores in your area don‘t carry them?
A quick google search shows me that every hardware store has multiple soldering irons in stock.

shosta

« Reply #7105 on: June 09, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
A soldering iron is just a hot piece of metal, literally any will do.
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #7106 on: June 09, 2019, 09:23:24 AM »
I bet the cheap ones don‘t even have bluetooth. :pacspit

BisMarckie

« Reply #7107 on: June 09, 2019, 09:28:30 AM »
A car is just a steel cage with wheels, literally any will do.

The soldering iron I have was made when the GDR was still a thing. It was „Made in West Germany“. I never thought about getting a new or better one.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #7108 on: June 10, 2019, 06:45:07 PM »

The soldering iron I have was made when the GDR was still a thing. It was „Made in West Germany“. I never thought about getting a new or better one.

GUB Glashütte would sometimes stamp their watches "Made in Germany" and I think that's beautiful. Other times though it just says "Made in GDR." And sometimes it says one thing on the front and another thing on the back. I suppose this is a metaphor for the tenuous legal existence of the various post-war Germanies.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #7109 on: June 10, 2019, 08:02:58 PM »

A soldering iron is really, really simple technology. There's not a lot to break, most of the functionality difference in cheap vs expensive is having temperature control which makes it have a more consistent temperature.

But like, I know maybe 2 or 3 electrical engineers who actually might wanf an "enterprise" level soldering iron and I don't think any of them have one. I assume you're just using it for minor electrical repairs or something, right? Generally, a project just requires a couple points to solder and then you're done using that tool for a few years.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7110 on: June 11, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »
So long as you don't make one of those awful cut down keyboards that needs a minimum of three FN layers to be useable...

Bebpo

« Reply #7111 on: June 12, 2019, 03:08:36 AM »
It's fucking hot in So Cal and my AC broke at some point in the last month or two I guess? I was hardly using my AC and it's always been weak but now the fan runs and blows out WARM AIR -_-

So I've been just keeping all the windows open 24/7 for the last week during the heatwave. Gets like 90F inside in the afternoon so I try to stay out until after dark. But even at night it's like a warm 80F and tough to even fall asleep blargh. Been just doing late nights until I pass out but gotta get up early tomorrow for LA traffic and it's still 80F in my bedroom at midnight fuck this.

Going to call every AC company on Thursday until I find someone that can come in the next week and either fix my AC or install a new one if I gotta replace it. Summer is just starting so it's gonna be like this for the next 6 months...

shosta

« Reply #7112 on: June 12, 2019, 03:25:05 AM »
That sucks, dude. Been there. Ice packs and desk fans are your friends.
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7113 on: June 12, 2019, 08:38:00 AM »
That sucks, dude. Been there. Ice packs and desk fans are your friends.

Get a shitload of ice and put in a large bowl or container right in front a fan- will be nice and cool for a while in the room you put it in.  When our AC went out last year, we did this in our bedroom before bed and also found that using another fan in front of an open window will help to pull out the warm air from the room blow it outside:
https://lifehacker.com/keep-your-room-cool-at-night-by-facing-your-fan-out-no-1610472983

People recommend a dual window fan for this.  Amazon has them for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Dual-Blade-Window-White/dp/B00008XET9/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=window+fan&qid=1560343014&s=gateway&sr=8-3
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #7114 on: June 12, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »
Fans? Are you trying to kill him?!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7115 on: June 12, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »
Advice from no-AC country: Treat your house like a fridge. You don't want to lose the cold to the outside, so keep the doors and windows closed. Only create a draught when it's cold outside (dawn is best).

If your insulation blows (single pane windows are a travesty), then - well, what the others said. Try not to move around too much...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7116 on: June 12, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »
Advice from no-AC country

:lucas

Just talked to someone on the phone who lives in Seattle. "It's so hot here which is unusual.  We don't have an AC so it's unbearable.  We don't know if we want to get a portable AC unit for hundreds of dollars."  Recommended that window fan.

I guess it's just where I am in literal HOTLANTA, but I can't imagine not having an AC.  It's unbearable here without one.
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7117 on: June 12, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
Yeah, summer is pretty mild here. When it's really hot (77F+ by my standards, 86F+ otherwise) it's not for very long. People make do with fans and flock to pools and lakes when possible.

Offices will have AC, but since people are not used to them, they're often unwittingly sabotaged by people keeping windows open. :goty2

BisMarckie

« Reply #7118 on: June 12, 2019, 03:30:51 PM »
Yeah, summer is pretty mild here. When it's really hot (77F+ by my standards, 86F+ otherwise) it's not for very long. People make do with fans and flock to pools and lakes when possible.

Offices will have AC, but since people are not used to them, they're often unwittingly sabotaged by people keeping windows open. :goty2

Don‘t forget that having AC would take away from complaining about the weather, we love that more than anything else.

Kara

« Reply #7119 on: June 12, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »
I have no central air, shitty insulation that's cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but a swimming pool. >:(

BisMarckie

« Reply #7120 on: June 12, 2019, 04:32:23 PM »
I have no central air, shitty insulation that's cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but a swimming pool. >:(

It‘s warm in the winter and unbearable in the summer in my place. I would kill a random person every day for a swimming pool.

BisMarckie

« Reply #7121 on: June 12, 2019, 04:45:52 PM »
Real struggle: You realize that the Ipad you use to shitpost while taking a dump has only 6% charge left.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7122 on: June 12, 2019, 08:32:46 PM »
And you have another project. :itagaki

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7123 on: June 12, 2019, 09:25:26 PM »
Fans? Are you trying to kill him?!

Easy, friend-o. This ain't Korea.

Kara

« Reply #7124 on: June 13, 2019, 12:04:03 AM »

It‘s warm in the winter and unbearable in the summer in my place. I would kill a random person every day for a swimming pool.

When it's hot and dark I'd rather have an air conditioner.

It's kind of funny though, the pool is unreasonably cold even when it's incredibly hot so not only is the commune poorly insulated but the pool is too??

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7125 on: June 13, 2019, 12:34:13 AM »
Nvm I get it

Raist

« Reply #7126 on: June 13, 2019, 01:12:04 AM »
I guess it's just where I am in literal HOTLANTA, but I can't imagine not having an AC.  It's unbearable here without one.

It's because you muhricans are wimps :bolo

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7127 on: June 14, 2019, 04:41:13 AM »
Occasional back spasms.

Was actually one reason I kept up with that stupid Cyberpunk crap on the side monitor the other day, could only sleep a couple hours because of them. Computer chair actually felt better than most things too since I upgraded it to the one my parents stupidly didn't want anymore and now I can totally lean back like I'm some kind of fancy executive. Can even regularly turn the chair back into the wall while reading a book if I want like an idiot.

I hope I just pulled something or whatever and it's not an actual problem I should do anything about but use as an excuse to be lazy for the rest of the week. #midstagebenjism :wow

shosta

« Reply #7128 on: June 14, 2019, 11:21:45 AM »
I quit drinking, how the fuck am I supposed to celebrate my birthday?  :busta
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7129 on: June 14, 2019, 11:30:30 AM »
Anal?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7130 on: June 14, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »
Icecream cake

BisMarckie

« Reply #7131 on: June 14, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
Huff some gasoline :trumps

Raist

« Reply #7132 on: June 14, 2019, 01:15:38 PM »
I quit drinking, how the fuck am I supposed to celebrate my birthday?  :busta

Like all your mates, house party, with a clown or magician or something.

shosta

« Reply #7133 on: June 14, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
There is a soft ban on me at my favorite bar (enforced only by specific bartenders) and I have no friends, but maybe I will cook something.
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #7134 on: June 14, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »
Happy birthday shosta.  :-*

Kara

« Reply #7135 on: June 14, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »
There is a soft ban on me at my favorite bar (enforced only by specific bartenders) and I have no friends, but maybe I will cook something.

Thinking about going out there the end of this month for Mythic Championship III (don't Google pls). If I do we'll do some belated barfday stuff. 8)

shosta

« Reply #7136 on: June 17, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
I was flirting with a couple girls at a commencement ceremony and a bird pooped on my head. On the bright side, the weather in Riverside is pretty nice tonight.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7137 on: June 17, 2019, 10:51:10 PM »
omg, that's terrible but also hilarious (for other people)  :lol
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7138 on: June 18, 2019, 01:52:22 PM »
xbox controller broke.  That's 2 in three years for fucks sake. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7139 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:47 PM »
Sucks. How did it break?