Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| Fucking alley  (Read 63308 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Mad Max: Fury Road |OT| Fucking alley
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2015, 03:35:01 AM »
Their butthurt may only expand exponentially:
Miller and McCarthy found during the writing process for Fury Road that they had enough story material for two additional scripts. One of these, entitled Mad Max: Furiosa, has already been completed, and Miller hopes to film it after the release of Fury Road.
In May 2015, Miller told Wired magazine, "Should [Mad Max: Fury Road] be successful, I’ve got two other stories to tell."

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2015, 05:41:32 AM »
Yes! Hopefully the sweeping praise for this film makes it very profitable, I'd love to see more of this awesome world

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2015, 08:32:13 AM »
So does anyone know if there will be toys or figurines? I'd give my middle nut for a figure of the war wagon with the drums and guitar guy.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2015, 08:36:32 AM »
Seeing it at 11:30 am, what a lovely morning it will be.
nat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2015, 09:11:03 AM »
I can't believe I'm reading some people describe the action as "so-so"

There is literally nothing like it. That first 30 minutes. Oh god.

Hard to believe that this was from a 70-year-old director who hasn't made an action movie in 30 years. He put 99.9% of the action movies from the past decade to absolute shame.

:piss shaky cam :piss2
dog

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2015, 12:44:25 PM »
This movie is awesome and I’m buying the blu-ray. It’s every bit as good or better than Road Warrior, and thoroughly washes away the stink of Thunderdome.

Aunty Entity doe :'(
Unzip

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »
I want to see it again imax and atmos. Guitar guy is just mind blowingly brilliant

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2015, 02:16:48 PM »
IT'S FUCKING INCREDIBLE
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
I feel like I've taken all of the drugs in the world and now I'm left with nothing but my thoughts and I can't deal.
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »
Seeing it again next week with girlfran in NYC  :usavich
nat

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
no joke came out of the pictures feeling like i had done a key or two of speed or something :hyper
Took like 15 minutes to calm down lol
bent

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »
This shit from one of the trailers

:aah :lawd
bent

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2015, 10:37:17 PM »
no sex scenes but the women don't wear much. there was one scene where they were all clothed and washing themselves. that's as far as anything went.

You're forgetting the nude "trap" woman that was part of the old lady brigade?

Also @ Shaka: YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I went on your recommendation. I need to go back and watch it again (maybe in a theater again) because I had to pee every 5-10 mins after eating a quick lunch and chugging a soda since I spent 10 hours at the theater catching movies (Avengers, Furious 7, Mad Max) on four hours sleep so the soda was going through me during Mad Max but I did catch the last hour or so completely fine (I missed the bit where they attach Max to the car and... I think that's mostly it. Outside of like maybe a few minor scenes between the car stuff). The chases remind me of the Road Warrior in a good way. It's not the "1 long car chase" that people advertised it to be. There is stops but the movie is "one long car journey."

Theron definitely is the star of the show here. Her character has good intentions and Max starts to realize that while working together with her.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2161513/mad-max-fury-road-guitar-player-doof-warrior-colin-gibson/ (minor spoilers)

Nothing in the movie (IIRC) outside of human crashes/people being thrown in the air was CGI. NOTHING, everything in the film in regards to the car chases and even the people on those wires was practical effects.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:41:55 PM by thisismyusername »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2015, 10:42:58 PM »
wait what

now I need to see it again bc damn
pcp

thisismyusername

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »
wait what

now I need to see it again bc damn

MTV: So wait, the whole thing actually worked?

Gibson: You bet your sweet… George — unfortunately — doesn’t like things that don’t work. I have in the past built him props that I thought were just supposed to be props, and then he goes, “Okay, plug it in now.”

I feel like a lot of people are very excited about the idea that you’re doing old school stunts, old practical effects. Was that very important to you, going into it?

Yeah, Mad Max is not a superhero. We don’t defy the laws of physics, it’s not a fantasy film. It’s basically a western on wheels. And I think if people see, I know when I see too much CG, that sort of takes me out of the experience. You want to have that sort of almost, I’m not going to say documentary experience, but you want to feel it like you’re really immersed, like it’s really happening. So we decided to literally do every car that’s smashed is smashed, every stunt is a real human being, even the actors do a lot of their own stunts, and so on.

Also minor spoilers I guess: http://www.npr.org/2015/05/15/406731120/the-women-pull-no-punches-in-fiery-feminist-mad-max

benjipwns

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »
Sand storms were too, since obviously you can't wait around for those to be ideal. And they're kinda dangerous.

thisismyusername

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »
Sand storms were too, since obviously you can't wait around for those to be ideal. And they're kinda dangerous.

Well, yeah. I think only the Sandstorm was CGI since I can't think of any sweeping practical effects turning the African Desert into a roiling sandstorm. Double so with the tornados. But nearly 99% of the film is practical effects in an age where practical effects are less and less common.

benjipwns

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2015, 11:34:05 PM »
I can't think of any sweeping practical effects turning the African Desert into a roiling sandstorm. Double so with the tornados.
Dick Cheney's weather machine.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2015, 12:00:14 AM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2015, 12:13:28 AM »
This movie is like snorting a line of mercury.
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2015, 02:58:03 AM »
This movie
 :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd :lawd
que

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2015, 03:10:12 AM »
This movie was quite awesome.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2015, 09:59:08 AM »
The 78-year-old Jaffer says she and the other actresses did their own stunts. "And I got feeling from a lot of the crew members that they didn't think it was right women of my age to be doing that sort of thing. You know, sometimes they'd come up and say, oh, he shouldn't ask you to do that. And I would say why? And they'd say, well, because you're an older woman. I did it, and I have to say, I enjoyed every minute of it."

Jaffer says it was a box office risk for Miller to cast older women to play such ferocious characters. But she says she jumped at the opportunity. "The roles that one is offered at this age, quite frankly, you're either in a nursing home, you're in a hospital bed dying, you're suffering from dementia, or in fact, in two cases, I was offered two characters who'd actually died and come back to life," she says. "So when this role came along, I thought well, I won't get another chance like this before I die, and that's why I took it. It was absolutely wonderful. Wonderful role."

:leon
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
do you like people driving around while they shoot and punch each other? do you appreciate the aesthetics of seventies and eighties fantasy action movies? if so you will like this movie

Yeah, this movie really did a good job conjuring up the 80's action movie (keep in mind I never have seen the originals)... some absolutely breathtaking setpieces and the setting was also awesome (especially into the sandstorm). The guitarist was probably my favorite part of the movie.

Didn't like:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
How Max's character had those brief traumatic flashbacks, that never really got properly explained or resolved. Movie would have been better if those were axed
[close]

Also one thing that was cool was the music was done by Junkie XL:

^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »
Quote from: George Miller
[My wife] had never cut an action movie, and she said, ‘Why on earth would you want me to cut the movie,’ and I said, ‘Because if it were the usual kind of guys, it would look like every other action movie you see,’ and she said, ‘My job here is to stop you from embarrassing yourself.'

This guy, seriously. :lol
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:16 AM »
How Max's character had those brief traumatic flashbacks, that never really got properly explained or resolved. Movie would have been better if those were axed
[close]

Those are references to the previous three films (this is a continuation/"reboot" reboot after all). Notably: The Road Warrior/Max Max 2.

Tasty

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »
[close]

Those are references to the previous three films (this is a continuation/"reboot" reboot after all). Notably: The Road Warrior/Max Max 2.

Ahh, OK. Yeah I thought they were a little out of place too.

Good effects though.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2015, 11:59:22 AM »
I am just recovering from the insanity of this movie 12 hours later. HOLY FUCK
AMC

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2015, 12:22:33 PM »
I liked the flashes, even without explanation you can imagine what kind of fucked up shit you go through in a wasteland.
brb

Sausage

« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »
That goddam guitar man

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2015, 05:03:29 PM »
I liked the flashes, even without explanation you can imagine what kind of fucked up shit you go through in a wasteland.

Yeah, it was about as elegant and minimal a background one could show for Max, other than a flashback. Happy there was no flashback.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2015, 05:18:26 PM »
$44 million opening weekend. Still about 25 million less than Pitch Perfect 2 because lol women, but better than early estimates that had it pegged at $40 million. Word of mouth has been so strong, I think it'll have good legs, and I expect it to do some solid numbers overseas too. The release list is pretty soft until Jurassic World drops in a month.
©@©™

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »
I didn't really care for this. I didn't read any of the reviews just saw the 99% at Rotten Tomatoes and went to go see it. While the action was certainly "visually spectacular" I just couldn't come up with a reason to care about anything happening on screen.

I was glad to see Theron and a group of women be the main protagonists in an action film and am glad Hollywood is changing, but at the same time half those women were waif-like and nearly naked. To me it seems like one step forward, one step back.

Ultimately the movie relied on the charisma of Theron and Hardy whom to me are less than mesmerizing. Hardy reminds me a lot of Sam Worthington and I'd say this film definitely had a Clash of the Titans feel to it: huge action, visual appeal, stoic leads, hot girls, and narrative-free.

Obviously I am in the minority here and I can certainly appreciate the magnificent setting, costumes, and world building. Really visually stimulating stuff. My eyes feel like I just played Civilization for 12 hours—I don't think I did a lot of blinking. The actors doing their own stunts and the minimal CGI is also very impressive. It just seems wasted to me without any plot to compliment it.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2015, 06:01:39 PM »
 :huh
AMC

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2015, 06:05:33 PM »
I'd say this film definitely had a Clash of the Titans feel to it

:dayum
dog

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
Fuck plot. More action plz.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2015, 06:32:58 PM »
Plot told through visuals and setting. Mostly lost on the majority of people I imagine.
nat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2015, 06:39:22 PM »
I'm about to take my wife's little cousins to see it. Spreading the love

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »
Butthurt MRA and Marvel stans definitely make me want to see this. Still waiting for the Cajole cosign tho.

edit: whoops he already cosigned it. Guess I'll see it next weekend then!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »
I'm seeing it Tuesday at 12:30. Can't wait.
yar

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2015, 11:27:03 PM »
Ffffuuu, Tom Hardy bb  :heartbeat Loved it, more than a few moments were so good i had chills and felt a little teary.

[close]

First sci fi in a while I had nothing bad to say about, mass appeal without feeling dumb and didn't get too preachy, bite off more than it could chew or get its head stuck up it's ass (Elysium, Avatar, Gravity, Prometheus, Interstellar..... )
 :bolo

Loved the attention to detail e.g. the war rigs engine's on fire so they drop the plow to put it out kicking mounds of dust over it, as it's raised it then cuts to a shot of the engine intakes reopening, then back to Theron at the wheel. Touches like this rooted me in the world, feeling satisfied with it. The pro feminist ecology ideology was nice and simple, never felt "challenging" and that's kinda sweet, presenting an unrepresented view in an easy to consume package. "Who killed the world?"

I was glad to see Theron and a group of women be the main protagonists in an action film and am glad Hollywood is changing, but at the same time half those women were waif-like and nearly naked.

Dug how Joes prize harem of waifus looked like a prize harem of aussie waifus, true blue diggers m8.
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2015, 12:33:53 AM »
I was glad to see Theron and a group of women be the main protagonists in an action film and am glad Hollywood is changing, but at the same time half those women were waif-like and nearly naked. To me it seems like one step forward, one step back.
Immortal Joe looked like he was old enough to remember the pre-fall days, so it’s not surprising that his ideal for women is that they look like models. It is a little weird that as prepped and modified as the truck appeared to be, they didn’t have a change of clothes. Still, not the /least/ realistic aspect of the film.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2015, 12:44:55 AM »
dog

Beezy

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »
Saw this a 2nd time this evening. Convinced my nephew that we should see this instead of the Avengers. I'm uncle of the year.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2015, 01:11:17 AM »
WELL FUCK THAT WAS MAD AS HELL
duc

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2015, 01:24:10 AM »
WELL FUCK THAT WAS MAD AS HELL

Admit it, it was all the old ladies on motorcycles that were giving you an “action chub,” right?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2015, 01:28:44 AM »
i came  :mouf
duc

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2015, 01:43:36 AM »
Tom Hardy made me extra hard in this. Nudemacuser, post nudes plz.
Unzip

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
:piss Michael Bay :piss2
:piss JJ Abrams :piss2
:piss Joss Whedon :piss2
:piss Christopher Nolan :piss2

:bow :bow2
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
well goddamn that was quite exhilarating

not as high on it as everyone else here but I thought it was quite fun.  Lot better than avengers
püp

Barraco Barner

« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
This was a really nice movie.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »
It's been 2 Days and I'm still thinking about when I'll be able to see it again
que

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »

Challenging Brother in Arms for the top spot imo

Coma Doof Warrior for president :rock
bent

cool breeze

« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2015, 07:09:08 PM »
the top baby names of 2015 will be Furiosa and Coma-Doof Warrior 

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2015, 10:37:55 PM »
Thought the movie was about to end 2-3 times but it kept getting better :aah

What a ride

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2015, 11:03:54 PM »
Most fun I've had in a theater since I was a kid. The near complete lack of CGI  :rejoice

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2015, 02:19:36 AM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:50:44 AM by The Sceneman »