Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 13815 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »
lol

G The Resurrected

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2016, 12:33:41 AM »
No controller support :gloomy

what?  Fuck that then.

Someone is already got it working natively with little to no issues. Expect more on friday about it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2016, 07:53:02 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:45 PM »
it says it has native support for the steam controller, so I imagine the 360 pad isn't far behind

G The Resurrected

« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2016, 09:26:29 PM »
I don't know but I think Valve might be to blame for not allowing controller support.

Especially after this:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/913471708586959741

I'm not buying your shitty controller Valve!

G The Resurrected

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2016, 04:33:05 AM »
Oh boy this is lots of fun. I wasn't expecting the technical issues though.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
Where is the console versiooon

archie4208

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2016, 11:32:33 AM »
95% chance it's coming to consoles.

archie4208

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »
The game is good but the performance is G A R B A G E.

I'm running a pretty old PC (Core i5-760, 4gb ram, 750ti) and I'm still getting poor frame rates even with everything turned down to low (and AA and AO being disabled).

The game isn't that much prettier than EU to warrant this, Firaxis!

G The Resurrected

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2016, 01:18:52 AM »
I've got a I7 2600k with 16gb of ram and a 570gtx and it's running like crap too.

This game be hard!

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2016, 01:31:48 AM »
Yeah surprisingly its run a bit crap for a game that isn't technically very impressive and is basically just a strategy game.

I'm still super early so I don't have anything intelligent to say about it game wise.

archnemesis

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2016, 02:03:08 AM »
I've had the opposite experience and it is performing pretty well on my fairly old PC.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 09:44:23 PM »
I'm not really having much fun with this. The last one was hard but it felt rewarding when you pushed though missions, and in this I'm just glad when they're over. I don't really like the countdown timers in missions, since I much prefer to plan out combat and not gamble on risky shots. The kill everything objectives make missions feel like a total roll of the dice once you get to the main objective as to wether or not everything you just killed will get resurrected while half your squad gets mind controlled :/

Stoney Mason

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2016, 12:11:44 AM »
I'm not really having much fun with this. The last one was hard but it felt rewarding when you pushed though missions, and in this I'm just glad when they're over. I don't really like the countdown timers in missions, since I much prefer to plan out combat and not gamble on risky shots. The kill everything objectives make missions feel like a total roll of the dice once you get to the main objective as to wether or not everything you just killed will get resurrected while half your squad gets mind controlled :/

I've still very early buy I haven't liked the countdown missions either. To me if you want to make combat deeper, its not about placing arbitrary timers on me to potentially make me screw up. But like I said, I'm still crazy early.

archnemesis

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2016, 12:39:13 AM »
Adding urgency to missions is a good way to prevent players from hanging back at the edge of the map with a team full of snipers. In 8 hours I've only reached the final turn twice. The first time was because I accidentally blew up the landing zone and a new one spawned on the other side of the map.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2016, 12:47:21 AM »
Adding urgency to missions is a good way to prevent players from hanging back at the edge of the map with a team full of snipers. In 8 hours I've only reached the final turn twice. The first time was because I accidentally blew up the landing zone and a new one spawned on the other side of the map.

I just don't like it personally. If snipers are that op then redesign them imo so that strategy is less effective. But that's just me.

I don't mind the occasional timer mission. But if the timer is in the bulk of them, I have a feeling that's going to be an issue for me.

archnemesis

« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2016, 01:26:20 AM »
I, too, am a fan of variation and it wouldn't hurt the game if they reduced the number of timed missions.

My favorite new system is probably setting up ambushes with four team members on overwatch and then my sniper can trigger the havoc.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2016, 03:03:36 AM »
I am probably being a little anal. I know X-com has always had timing elements to it whether it comes to in game objectives or the larger meta game of what to research and which nations to please. But my favorite part of a turn based game is being able to plan a grand strategy. It's why I much prefer them over rts games. So it rustles my jimmies a bit and throws me out of my comfort zone when I'm rushed. But obviously that's the whole point of it.

archnemesis

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2016, 03:58:30 AM »
I love the original series and played it to death back in the '90s. With this new series, I appreciate that Firaxis are doing their own thing. My first playthrough is mostly a practice run. I need to experience the complete game once before I can make sensible  decisions about what to research, which facilities to build, and how to best develop my soldiers.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2016, 05:12:52 AM »
I love the original series and played it to death back in the '90s. With this new series, I appreciate that Firaxis are doing their own thing. My first playthrough is mostly a practice run. I need to experience the complete game once before I can make sensible  decisions about what to research, which facilities to build, and how to best develop my soldiers.

Same here, I look at the first run up to when I fuck up as the tutorial which teaches you how to be successful in the game. But the layers here in Xcom 2 are really fucking hard in it's early hours. I've been researching but not progressing fast enough to match the enemy's avatar levels. Jesus fucking hell are those hard as fuck. Just when you think it might be safe to evac another fucking dropship comes in.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »
Same. Like right now ive kinda got the whole tactical dealio down but the geolandscape stuff is a mess and i gotta do a hail mary on this advent blacksite high difficulty to get that countdown to go down.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »
I'm glad they've changed it up. Crawling ahead with overwatch and snipers was so OP and boring. 
itm

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
It makes watching streams of the game better too. More action/drama.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
Would be interested to read your opinions on the tactical maps generation.

I watched Beaglerush videos otherwise and I like the new strategic layer I saw. Maybe a bit confusing (as pointed out by some reviewers).
ὕβρις

Stoney Mason

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2016, 05:42:35 PM »
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/19/xcom-2-framerate/

Yeah I put playing this on hold until some patches come.

archnemesis

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2016, 02:43:42 AM »
Have you tried it yourself? The performance on my rather old GTX 670 is more than fine, and the occasional load spike or frame rate dip doesn't hurt the experience in a turn-based game.

I beat it once on veteran and now I'm giving it another go on commander difficulty. So far it hasn't been that tough, but until I develop better armor I need to make sure I stay in heavy cover.

archnemesis

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2016, 03:49:38 AM »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674832831

A set of extensions and configurable options for XCom 2, including:

* Fully supported squads of up to 12 soldiers
* Not Created Equally (Randomized initial stats)
* Hidden Potential (Randomized level-up stats)
* Red Fog (wounds cause stat losses),
* Damage Roulette (wider range of damage from weapons).

:rejoice
itm

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: XCOM 2 (Coming to Consoles September)
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
No PS3  :-\
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2016, 04:11:09 PM »
Never forget I got banned from Gaf for saying "hope it comes to consoles soon"

thats port begging

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »
Yo did anyone on here pick this up? I've been playing this the last two days on PS4 and it's got it's hooks in me.

Already lost a few soldiers sadly, but most of my veterans are still alive :D
What

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2016, 05:57:40 AM »
How are the console versions ? Guess the controls are still like X:Com and decent witha controller ? Any major issues otherwise ?
XCOM2 is probably the game I could get weak with and buy a console for...
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2016, 02:52:00 AM »
Read its a bit buggy on consoles, not sure how bad it is

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2016, 11:36:11 AM »
Well I wouldnt say it's really buggy, I only encountered 2 bugs in about 20+ hours of playing; once my OW didn't trigger, and the other time a building got destroyed where I had to do my VIP EVAC so I couldnt even get to the evac point O_o

Aside from that it's framy, I think it runs about 25 fps or some shit. But my PC cant run this game at all so im still glad to be playing it, the game itself is great.
I've only lost a few good soldiers, I'm playing on normal and its my first time going through XCOM 2.

If you really loved the XCOM EU/EW games then I would suggest picking this up for sure.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »
k.. fuck 2k and firaxis

A little warning that is mentioned NOWHERE

You cant play multiplayer with people who have the campaign DLC, and visa versa. Fuck this shit
What

G The Resurrected

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2016, 06:27:55 PM »
Something that is pissing me off is that the game doesn't resume from suspend at all. Basically save before you leave or get fucked son.

archnemesis

« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2016, 04:51:31 AM »
Something that is pissing me off is that the game doesn't resume from suspend at all. Basically save before you leave or get fucked son.
Do you have the PS4 version? I've never seen that behavior from any PS4 title.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »
Xbox one here it's a real bummer that and the fact that the game gets stuck between turns when it's simulating turns. I was playing last night and was waiting for this one enemy's turn to be over for 10 minutes before it unfroze.

I am enjoying the game a little, but as someone who dumped hours into it on PC when it was broken and now into this console version that is broken I don't know what to think.

archnemesis

« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2016, 02:55:35 AM »
I don't know how the XB1's suspend mode works. With the PS4 it's really simple. Everything is stored in memory when you suspend the system. Once you boot it up again everything should be exactly where you left it. Hopefully Microsoft can update their OS to use the same approach.

archie4208

archie4208

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:26:54 AM by toku »

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2017, 08:47:48 AM »

August 29th, also on consoles!

Let's Cyber

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2017, 09:51:45 PM »
I've jumped back in for a new game, playing Shen's Last Gift for the first time.

How in the hell (ending DLC mission spoilers)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
can I beat Julian at the top of the building? Is there a trick to do extra damage?  I only had 4 soldiers to start the mission and I lost my assault soldier on the second section, unfortunately. Only Shen, a sniper, a heavy and SPARK are left. It just doesn't feel like I have enough firepower to beat him before being overwhelmed. 
[close]

somes of the vids I watched have 5 man squads+SPARK, so those strategies don't do me a lot of good when I' down to only 3 soldiers.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:02:12 PM by Let's Cyber »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »

:whew

I'm glad they are toning down the
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Alien rulers. Having them protect Alien Facilities is a good choice.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
Do you have the PS4 version? I've never seen that behavior from any PS4 title.

I had this from a PS4 game, Shadow of Mordor. There was a warning when starting a new app like YouTube or Amazon Video, which essentially spelled it out: This game cannot be suspended, and must quit instead.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2017, 07:56:32 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
Just saw the price for War of the Chosen at $40

:larry

I know I'll get my money's worth out of it but that is still pretty steep for an expansion.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2017, 11:43:47 PM »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:11 PM »
Christopher Odd has been doing a let's play, includes everything except some specific cinematics. 

looks great so far!

Let's Cyber

« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2017, 08:10:03 AM »
Not very far into my campaign but a lot of the little things make a difference. I like managing a larger squad and sending guys on covert missions or side stuff that can level them up. Bonding is also great. The new classes and special soldiers are very strong once you get them leveled but so far they have been balanced out by the Chosen.

I'm not super excited about facing off against the Chosen but that is mostly because they are super OP and a huge pain in the ass. They feel like the alien hunters on steroids. They also abducted one of best soldiers and I haven't quite figured out how to get them back yet.  I can see how it will feel really good to finally take them out, however.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »

and yeah, if chosen shows up you're gonna lose 2 ppl and the rest of the squad gonna be fucked up

Game is great now tho, like you said some really good changes/additions. The strategy layer feels a lot better, more things to do and think about.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2017, 08:23:38 AM »
One day I'll play the game once I have the hardware, can someone quickly illuminate those things for me :
- Does it still have stability problems ? I heard about those both for PC and consoles. Though slightly improved on PC.
- Is the expansion worth it ? Apparently people here thought it was fine ?
ὕβρις

Borealis

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2017, 09:32:44 AM »
One day I'll play the game once I have the hardware, can someone quickly illuminate those things for me :
- Does it still have stability problems ? I heard about those both for PC and consoles. Though slightly improved on PC.
- Is the expansion worth it ? Apparently people here thought it was fine ?

-The stability problems have mostly been addressed since launch, however, the expansion makes significant but exclusive performance improvements (e.g. loading times) since it uses a rewritten codebase.
-The expansion's pretty good in terms of new content, revised systems, and mechanics added, but personally (especially at AUD prices) I still think it's a bit too expensive at 39.99 USD. 

Let's Cyber

« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »
I think WotC is the type of thing you need to get eventually if you're interested in Xcom2 at all. There are so many small changes and other things overhauled/added that it makes going back to vanilla tough. I guess my recommendation is to wait for a sale. The price tag is steep but it's absolutely worth playing. 

The load times on console are long AF. I've seen 90-120 second long load times on reloads. It's still worth playing on console if you have no other choice but I strongly suggest getting it on PC. Especially for mods.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2017, 11:25:30 AM »
Ah interesting to learn that some of the optimization is baked in the expansion.
The first XCom on consoles had the reputation to be wonky (especially in managing elevation on multi planes) but I never had big issues with it. The problems seem more serious this time round and ideally I'd like to get it on PC. It's all contingent to if and when I'll save money for a new machine.

Enemy Within was a great expansion and I'm confident Firaxis avoided the trap of having superfluous mechanics but I wanted to make sure.
ὕβρις