Author Topic: Dragon Ball Thread - RIP sensei  (Read 44398 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Dragon Ball Super Thread - it only took twenty years
« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:55 AM »
Buu is great so far.  They just drew numbers.  Love how awkward Gohan is now.  Everyone ragging on him for his stupid outfit :lol

Tasty

« Reply #241 on: August 03, 2015, 12:55:19 PM »

:rejoice :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: August 03, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
:rofl
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #243 on: August 03, 2015, 02:40:09 PM »
Healing tank was the best part. :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2015, 04:45:58 PM »
The art in this show is already in the toilet.

And the best one...

:lol :lol :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #245 on: August 09, 2015, 04:46:32 PM »
Fucking told you. Toei is cheap af
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:31 PM »
Post 90's Toei  :-\

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

And the best one...

I've seen DBZ parodies animated in Flash that looked better than this. :neogaf
dog

Tasty

« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2015, 10:36:03 PM »
:bow Absalom > Super :bow2

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »

And the best one...

I've seen DBZ parodies animated in Flash that looked better than this. :neogaf

Ya but people how make DBZ parodies care about their work.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #250 on: August 10, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »

Fucking told you. Toei is cheap af

When did you say that?   ???
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2015, 03:11:49 PM »
Pretty sure I've lamented their cheapness. Probably not here, maybe r/dbz. Not sure.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »

The elves have left middle earth. :goty2

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
Can't find any pictures, but there was one particular art team that drew everything noticeably different than the other episodes in the DBZ days, too.  It looked pretty bad, but still not as bad as the mess that is Super.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #254 on: August 11, 2015, 04:32:30 PM »

The elves have left middle earth. :goty2

I don't like digital animation

Digital animation is :trash unless you're willing to spend on it.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #255 on: August 11, 2015, 04:50:07 PM »
What's sort of ironic is Pokemon looks way, way better today than it did when it was traditionally animated. I'm sure it has a higher budget but still, difference is night and day.

Himu

« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2015, 04:56:01 PM »
Any screencaps for comparison?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »
This one is the best straight-away comparison, but it's hard to get across in pics: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/03/oh-my-how-the-pokemon-anime-has-changed/

Mostly the way new eps look in motion compared to old eps is night and day. There's a lot more fluidity and dynamic animation, and that's especially apparent during battles. The old anime suffered from a lot of Speed Racer-ism/Flinstone-ism and felt very very static.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched the anime since the BW series back in... jeeze, 2011? But I remember how gorgeous it seemed in HD. The colors just popped.

The colors in general are probably the biggest improvement. In the link it's hard to tell, but later eps had a much more consistent color pallet (and sense of art direction IMO.) The houses in the original series were usually just "generic" house, towns were "generic town," etc. New eps do a lot to differentiate places and things at every level.

Himu

« Reply #258 on: August 11, 2015, 05:33:32 PM »
Hm. It's not necessarily better.

The older ones for instance have more detail. Better shadows especially.

New one looks pretty bad. Has lines on his knees. Is overall flat. The right most fold of Charizard's wing has no shadow despite being 1. folded and 2. the under section of the wing, giving for more shadows. This does not correspond with physics or real world lighting. The thick outlines also lend to a sense of amateurish feeling. The only thing that could be construed as "better" is the flame, and Charizard's more stylish flame in the older one is much more consistent with the art style. Throwing CG on top of 2d animation does not make it look "better".

Left: Charizard's skin highlights in the correct positions. THe right is again, flat. The outlines, again, make it look out of a coloring book. Shadows are decent in this one, but noticeably more lazy compared to the original. Instead of having the shadow envelop his stomach, end at the arm, and draw a new arm shadow, it's one long shadow. Lazy and cheap.

This comes down to personal preference but I again, prefer the original. I prefer the more Earth toned and darker contrast of cel. I dislike forced bright colors of digital immensely. Further, again, too thick outlines.

This is fantastic digital and superior to the original.

Cel Misty looks much better than digital Misty. The eyes are drawn in a more detailed and stylish manner. Digital Misty's eyes look like a doodle. That hyper stretched vertical iris of Cel Misty is excellent eye stylization and exudes character. There are also inconsistencies within the hair on Digital Misty. Hair shadows cut randomly, rather than canvas the mass of her hair like in the original. Comes out obviously looking like vectorized object. The result: flat character. Look how the outlines of Cel Misty allow her to soak into the environment like she BELONGS there. That's HER world. The thick outlines on Digital Misty make her look like another prop. She doesn't belong there, she's standing out and does not blend into that forest.

Digital version has no sense of presence. Despite apparently raining, you cannot see make out a single drop unless you're looking for it. Could be a bad cap, but still. Background on digital is great. The rock is especially great in terms of detail and on the ball. Characters again, have a loss in detail. No shadows under Brock's vest pocket, absolute zero shadows on Ash's raincoat despite being a rainy, storm setting, shadows on Charizard's blanket can literally be divided into three shapes, Brock has zero shadows just like Ash even where he should have some (i.e. under his arm fold). Outlines are, again, shit. The characters stick out and don't blend into their world. The cel version tells a story. The digital one looks like it's happening before the story even starts. 

This perfectly encapsulates how Japan went cheap with their animation. Even Pokemon looks worse. Digital isn't inherently bad, but over the years, they have lost passionate artists to other industries. And now you get this: lazy, flat, boring animation without any presence or any detail. Just flat characters and basic settings. Lazy, cheap, infuriating.

Kill La Kill, for all my problems with it, is a show of passion. That's digital done right. Digital has all the ability in the world to look better than cel, but it rarely does. Because there's less need to spend time on it, the animation suffers. Why bother putting time in to it if you can rush out an episode like it's nothing? Saves money, but doesn't create quality.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #259 on: August 11, 2015, 09:34:03 PM »
Like I said, comparing those scenes 1:1 isn't necessarily indicative of all the improvements of the new show, especially since you really have to see both in motion to appreciate the differences. Your individual critiques aren't wrong, though.

Himu

« Reply #260 on: August 11, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »
I'm in the theaters right now seeing RoF. Come on, haterzzz
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »
Considering seeing F4 tonight while drnk

Himu

« Reply #262 on: August 12, 2015, 12:44:32 AM »
RoF was :lawd

Only criticism is that I WANTED MORE. :hyper
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #263 on: August 12, 2015, 03:21:19 AM »
Finished Cell/Android saga in Kai. I felt the arc started out strong but got progressively worse pretty quickly as it went on.

Trunks and Mr. Satan were the highlights of the arc, and I would have preferred the latter getting more air time.

Chi Chi, on the other hand, may be the worst character I've seen in any show. So annoying, and offensive to boot. Bulma isn't that better either. I'd say they were drawn/created in a different time, but I just started watching the original DB and Bulma is way more palatable, for example.

But that Chi Chi, holy shit— Toriyama must have had a pretty intolerable mother.
Unzip

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #264 on: August 12, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »
Finished Cell/Android saga in Kai. I felt the arc started out strong but got progressively worse pretty quickly as it went on.

Trunks and Mr. Satan were the highlights of the arc, and I would have preferred the latter getting more air time.

Chi Chi, on the other hand, may be the worst character I've seen in any show. So annoying, and offensive to boot. Bulma isn't that better either. I'd say they were drawn/created in a different time, but I just started watching the original DB and Bulma is way more palatable, for example.

But that Chi Chi, holy shit— Toriyama must have had a pretty intolerable mother.

Both Bulma and Chi Chi were better characters in Dragonball.  They're sort of pointless in Z.  Well, I guess there's some stuff with Bulma that fits in, but nothing with Chi Chi.

That reminds me, it was always a pet peeve of mine how there were no real main female characters in Z.  It looked like maybe there was some hope with Videl, but then she got the shit beaten out of her -brutally- by that Majin-influenced guy (Supopovich?).  Android 18 quickly turned into a damsel in distress after Cell came along and then became more of a background/comic relief characters following that story.  And that was it. 

And even when the now-irrelevant GT came along, Pan never even reached Super Saiyan levels of power. 
:comeon
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #265 on: August 12, 2015, 08:59:09 AM »
Toriyama is quoted as saying he can't draw female super saiyan.

and people give me shit for not giving a fuck about Oda's treatment of women on one piece. oda is fucking egalitarian compared to fucking toriyama.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: August 12, 2015, 09:46:33 AM »
Toriyama is quoted as saying he can't draw female super saiyan.

That's a bullshit excuse.  And it makes no sense.
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
What's this, you say? An aged Japanese man who is unable to conceive of strong female characters (other than his mother)?

::)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »
What's this, you say? An aged Japanese man who is unable to conceive of strong female characters (other than his mother)?

::)

Can't even use the aged excuse for back when DBZ was the big thing!
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #269 on: August 12, 2015, 02:32:44 PM »
Catching up on Super and episode 4 is definitely filler as fuck. Holy shit :lol
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #270 on: August 12, 2015, 02:57:58 PM »

Buu is absolutely full of Satan if he's your thing. And yes, he rocks.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #271 on: August 12, 2015, 03:50:03 PM »

:brazilcry

Himu

« Reply #272 on: August 12, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
Goku isn't that kind of hero though. :yeshrug dude just likes to fight. He's apathetic towards that shit. If anything, it always comes in second to wanting to be the strongest for him.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #273 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:17 PM »
True. He can even be a dirtbag sometimes. :lol (WHY WOULD YOU GIVE CELL A SENZU BEAN HE WILL LITERALLY DESTROY THE WORLD IF HE WINS)

Himu

« Reply #274 on: August 12, 2015, 05:02:39 PM »
Do Goku and co. ever revive the people/entire cities destroyed by the big villains after they win? Because aside from Namek and Piccolo aftermath, I don't think they do. :lol All those people Nappa and Cell murder ain't coming back. :lol
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2015, 05:08:21 PM »
Hmm I think they brought back all the people killed by Vegeta and Nappa, but can't remember. They definitely brought back the people Buu killed (and made them forget about him.)

Himu

« Reply #276 on: August 12, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »
They brought back the people Buu killed, but Nappa: 1. they wished for Piccolo to be resurrected, 2. brought to namek, 3. all the people freeza killed alive, 4. all the people on namek except freeza and goku teleported to Earth.

When they finally get the dragon balls back, they wish for Krillen, Tien, Yamucha, and Chaotzu to come back. Say nothing of the people who Nappa killed. Maybe it happened off screen but still. :lol Same thing for Cell iirc.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #277 on: August 12, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »
That might have been covered under the "killed by Freeza and his men" thing, since Vegeta/Nappa worked for Freeza when they attacked earth.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #278 on: August 15, 2015, 12:53:34 PM »
So far Dragon Ball has been great. It feels more well rounded, more whimsical, and is definitely more adventure focused. It inspires that childhood sense of wonder that made me enjoy One Piece in the first place. And even though I didn't watch it growing up, it still makes me feel nostalgic due the style and setting.

I wonder if that will change as the show goes on, because I have the impression it'll be more battle oriented later on?

Anyhow, my biggest pet peeve, and this probably has everything to do with me watching it in 2015, is the blatant 80's era anime sexism. Basically it was hard to go through flashing, crotch heavy patting, and the hermit/oolong scenes. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to blame the era, Toriyama, or both.
Unzip

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #279 on: August 15, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
And people like me who like the stupid sex jokes.

Himu

« Reply #280 on: August 15, 2015, 02:27:07 PM »
So far Dragon Ball has been great. It feels more well rounded, more whimsical, and is definitely more adventure focused. It inspires that childhood sense of wonder that made me enjoy One Piece in the first place. And even though I didn't watch it growing up, it still makes me feel nostalgic due the style and setting.

I wonder if that will change as the show goes on, because I have the impression it'll be more battle oriented later on?

Anyhow, my biggest pet peeve, and this probably has everything to do with me watching it in 2015, is the blatant 80's era anime sexism. Basically it was hard to go through flashing, crotch heavy patting, and the hermit/oolong scenes. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to blame the era, Toriyama, or both.

That's all Toriyama. He had a history with gag manga in Dr Slump before making DB and has said he didn't want to do the same thing twice, so he set out to make an adventure comic with gags in it. I agree too. The sex jokes are the worst part of DB. Everything else is gravy. And no, DB's adventure spirit never lets up, even when it becomes more battle focused.

I suggest reading Dr. slump when you get the chance. Also, DB is the main influence of manga like One Piece. So you're kind watching the originator there that literally birthed the modern shounen formula.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #281 on: August 15, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »
The panty jokes are not letting up. And just now the fucking pig roofied a naked, 16 y/o Bulma.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:11:55 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #282 on: August 15, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »
I don't remember that. Re-reading DB manga now and that never happened.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #283 on: August 15, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »
They are in the manga as well.  Thankfully it lets up eventually around Red Ribbon.
IYKYK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
What ever happened to the most comfortable pair of underwear anyways? 

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #285 on: August 15, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »

In the anime it was the second episode of Yamucha's introduction as a character. They're in a mobile home that belongs to Oolong, where he hands out drugged juices to Goku and a towel-wrapped Bulma... specifically to "feel up her up."

I even gave him the benefit of doubt and thought maybe he wants to steal the dragon balls after hearing what they're capable of but, but nope, it was just good ol' underage groping.
Unzip

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #286 on: August 15, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
Bulma is pretty worldly at 16 though.  And Oolong, being a pig, can't really consent.  I wonder who really raped who?

Himu

« Reply #287 on: August 15, 2015, 07:46:58 PM »

In the anime it was the second episode of Yamucha's introduction as a character. They're in a mobile home that belongs to Oolong, where he hands out drugged juices to Goku and a towel-wrapped Bulma... specifically to "feel up her up."

I even gave him the benefit of doubt and thought maybe he wants to steal the dragon balls after hearing what they're capable of but, but nope, it was just good ol' underage groping.

Oh right. That's in the manga too.

It should be noted that Oolong's character is entirely based upon Zhu Bajie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigsy

He's got a thing for young women, period. It's just Toriyama took it wayyyyy too far.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #288 on: August 16, 2015, 03:21:25 AM »
I wonder how fans of DB felt about DBZ, and how it took these colorful characters and turned them into cardboard backdrops. For example, I just reached the episode where Gyumao and Chichi are introduced, and the difference is night and day.

I get that DBZ intentionally had a different tone and targeted a different audience, but it's so sad to take all these characters and locales and do absolutely nothing with them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:44:49 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2015, 11:34:32 AM »
It should be noted that in the original manga, Dragonball is just Dragonball. There is no Dragonball Z.

Z was not meant for different audiences. It was the same audience, they just grew up and Toriyama changed the style again.  What happened to Wrath (hitting puberty) happened to the same thing to his Japanese audience. DBZ's content is in the manga called Dragon Ball. It's one long story about Goku's life, from beginning to (multiple) end. Like in life, friends come and go. But the original cast of Dragon Ball have always been useful at least once besides Yamucha. Puar and co have always been backdrops, too. You are still at the beginning. Krillin, Tien, Bulma, and Roshi have always been constants and even when they weren't exactly relevant - useful.

You really shouldn't consider DBZ a sequel despite the different name. Think of it like Naruto Shippuden - a continuation of the story rebranded. Dragonball anime took a week break and then relaunched it into Z. Naruto's a good comparison too. Starting Z in DB is like starting with Shippuden with Naruto in some ways, but ultimately, when you look at the source material and despite the name change made in the anime, Naruto is still Naruto, and Dragon Ball is still Dragon Ball.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:56:02 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
As for forgetting characters and stuff. You can blame that on:

1. The popularity of Saiyan's.
2. Toriyama ultimately isn't that great of a writer plot-wise. He says he didn't have Launch in Z because he forgot about her. Literally forgot about her.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »
As for forgetting characters and stuff. You can blame that on:

1. The popularity of Saiyan's.
2. Toriyama ultimately isn't that great of a writer plot-wise. He says he didn't have Launch in Z because he forgot about her. Literally forgot about her.
:(

Himu

« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
I know. I know. :( She owns.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »
:rofl
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2015, 05:49:10 PM »
It should be noted that in the original manga, Dragonball is just Dragonball. There is no Dragonball Z.

Z was not meant for different audiences. It was the same audience, they just grew up and Toriyama changed the style again.  What happened to Wrath (hitting puberty) happened to the same thing to his Japanese audience. DBZ's content is in the manga called Dragon Ball. It's one long story about Goku's life, from beginning to (multiple) end. Like in life, friends come and go. But the original cast of Dragon Ball have always been useful at least once besides Yamucha. Puar and co have always been backdrops, too. You are still at the beginning. Krillin, Tien, Bulma, and Roshi have always been constants and even when they weren't exactly relevant - useful.

You really shouldn't consider DBZ a sequel despite the different name. Think of it like Naruto Shippuden - a continuation of the story rebranded. Dragonball anime took a week break and then relaunched it into Z. Naruto's a good comparison too. Starting Z in DB is like starting with Shippuden with Naruto in some ways, but ultimately, when you look at the source material and despite the name change made in the anime, Naruto is still Naruto, and Dragon Ball is still Dragon Ball.

Ah, in that case the Naruto Shipuuden comparison is apt. I'm also basing my impression on these first 10 episode, so perhaps the show will evolve over the course of the remaining 140 episode and transition more smoothly into Z.

I'm still lamenting the variety I'm seeing here, just in the first 10 episodes, between characters and locations. Japanese, Chinese, and even Middle Eastern inspired villages and whatnot. Each with a simple backstory and cast of characters. Fast forward to Z, and everything is the same generic, futuristic metropolis and cannon fodder residents.

It simply doesn't feel like the same world at all, regardless of how long the time skip is... Then again, maybe I'm jumping the gun again.

Anyhow, side-topic:

Oolong is pretty much in the top 10 worst characters in anime fictions:
- Peeks at a disguised Goku peeing, "he has that which I hate the most!"
- Roofies Bulma to feel her up
- Reluctantly transforms into a full sized Bulma (when she needed a replacement for the Hermit to poke), "I hate men touching me"

What a sexist, homophobic pig.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2015, 05:51:13 PM »
Oolong sucks and has no redeeming value. He will be out of your hair soon. He's really only prominent in the first arc.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2015, 05:57:26 PM »
I'm not super serious about the haterade lol but I wouldn't shed a tear if he stops getting air time.
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2015, 06:04:01 PM »
I'm still lamenting the variety I'm seeing here, just in the first 10 episodes, between characters and locations. Japanese, Chinese, and even Middle Eastern inspired villages and whatnot. Each with a simple backstory and cast of characters. Fast forward to Z, and everything is the same generic, futuristic metropolis and cannon fodder residents.

It simply doesn't feel like the same world at all, regardless of how long the time skip is... Then again, maybe I'm jumping the gun again.

Naw, you're quite correct. Dragon Ball explores its world and gives it scope. But you are watching this backwards. This is why I suggested to PD on page 1 of the thread to start with Dragon Ball and not Z. Going from Z to DB is like going from gigantic space battles to more personal conflicts. What makes Dragon Ball at large great is experiencing how the stakes and universe get slowly larger. Dragon Ball's locales and people are definitely more diverse, because Goku isn't the strongest man on Earth yet. Dragon Ball is a story where the kid starts out with a basic kick punch move set, eventually gains a magic cloud, learns fire balls, then slowly gains power after power and eventually the ability to learn how to fly. Dragon Ball is the journey to gaining power. Think of Dragon Ball Z as the end game after having gone beyond the mountain top.

Dragon Ball is ultimately about adventure as much as it's about fights. But remember that in Z, they already covered Earth enough in DB. What else could be covered on Earth's world now that Goku and co. could fly and met GOD? So the next step isn't Earth: they go to OUTER SPACE, Goku goes to HEAVEN. Cell is the one arc that's mostly on Earth and even that has the time chamber. But it still has that time travel story going for it.

I completely agree with you. Just remember you're watching DB out of order. :lol But a lot of your criticisms is why there's a large portion who prefer DB over Z. I personally like both for their own strengths, but I too prefer Dragon Ball to Z.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2015, 06:18:19 PM »
Yup, I wish I had watched this in order.
Unzip

Beezy

« Reply #299 on: August 22, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »
Oh wow, Yajirobe is a boss in Dragonball.