Author Topic: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE  (Read 310682 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: STAR CITIZEN: JEU PRÉFÉRÉ DE VOMKRIEGE
« Reply #1140 on: June 24, 2017, 01:13:54 PM »
Yesterday was schedule update day day and you know what this means !

This week, we're back into heavier delay territory. All releases have been delayed by 2 weeks

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6j77lq/300_and_global_progress_watch_update_20170623/

It's pretty amazing they already added weeks of delays to a schedule barely a couple months old.
They also had another space bike model to sell. As far as I remember, CIG said that all ships beyond those sold late 2015 (or early 2016) were not guaranteed to be implemented for launch. Doesn't seem to bother anyone much though.

Also apparently two of the British subsidiaries filed about a loan with Coutts & Co (see June 15 filing below).

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

Reading the deed it seems the companies involved are putting as collateral / mortgage all of their properties and all ofs their rights for copies of the games and any visual and audio created for it ? I'm not an accountant, is this the norm ?

The Agent also has some hilarious leaks / fake news / fan fic

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: The Agent on SA
so in a part of that huge dump I got the other day and who even knows or cares if its real but

hello

- continued funding through Amazon and other partners (??) is contingent on several major milestone releases in the next 18 months
    full commercial release of Star Citizen in 2018
    "It's a promise we can't keep. We all know it."
    - sq42 prelude was supposed to hit early this year and is now listed internally as N/A
    - "We are going to focus on making the best MMO experience possible and that means integrating all our hard work and ideas [from SQ42] into it."
    - first half of the year, travel expenses over $400,000
    - "They are using backer funds like airline miles."
    - strains between upper management and employees "at a boiling point"
    - "I think things were all smiles until [our investors] started asking where the money was going."
    - (rehash) almost all the old mocap data is severely unusable, 10s of thousands more man hours to get it into a working state
    - expect a large trailer for new content for SQ42 now called Star Citizen: Squadron 42 / Star Citizen: First Strike
    - NPCs and questgivers will include full SQ42 cast
    - "That's our NPE (new player experience), that's it. You come in, you play [what was called SQ42], you're in our universe already, it's an easy transition. Credits roll and you're at your ship and suddenly with all these other players and it opens up and you say, 'Wow.'"
    - Turbulent taking large percentage of backer funds
    - Turbulent contract renegotiated to now include SC 2017 releases as "MVP" or "EA commercial release" as some monies are tied to that

First thing we are told is, "Shut the gently caress up about your job." Everything is treated like we're discussing troop locations. Make a tweet or share a picture? Gotta go through [one of the CS team members]. It's all very carefully coordinated.

quote:

It's madness. We're kicking down the foundations of everything that's been built over the last two years. Coming in and seeing what [outside contractor] did with the AI was amazing. I thought, "Did they have no oversight? No direction?" It was a jumbled mess. We're the janitors trying to clean it up by burning the house down. I don't know if it's going to work.

The new [Item 2.0] is a disaster [for the art and design teams]. We are rebuilding entire cockpits for ships that haven't been touched in years. Then someone new, it's always someone new, says, "Hey, this ship looks a bit dated, you think?" and we all immediately shut the gently caress up because the next thing you know the entire ship is being redesigned, again. Or maybe for the fourth time. Meanwhile we still have to design all the new elements directly into the cockpit. How can you do that when the entire ship comes back and everything is in a different place?
[close]
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1141 on: June 24, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »
I wonder if they plan to buy the imaginarium, where they filmed all the SQ42 scenes. I think it went bankrupt a couple of months ago.
I believe Chris got to shoot there cheap because he is buddies with the owner.
They're going to need a cheap place to film all the scenes for the episodes after SQ42.

Possible. or even buying some of the equipment Imaginarium owns is also possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6j828y/cig_recently_took_out_a_loan_from_coutts_co_in/djcasvv/

I should point out that this is not necessarily a bad thing, nor is it clear what the loan is for. What this tells us is that money has been loaned and secured against assets owned by CIG - this is fairly common practice in the case of commercial loans.

To bank with Coutts you must have at least £1,000,000 in tangible assets and in any event they are selective about their clientele; which implies CIG is doing well.

Nonetheless thought it was an interesting discussion point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6j828y/cig_recently_took_out_a_loan_from_coutts_co_in/djc8fes/

Read on Frontier forums (source unclear)

It's extremely good that a company we gave 150 million dollars to has at least a million pounds of assets

Also  :lol at the notion that there's such a thing as "reputable" financial institutions.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1142 on: June 25, 2017, 03:01:33 AM »

Some more confirmations about the loan(s) :

The Companies House recap confirms that the latest loan includes

Contains fixed charge.
Contains floating charge.
Floating charge covers all the property or undertaking of the company.
Contains negative pledge.

Foundry 42 Limited also have another loan from January 2015 listed as "oustanding" yet. The loan was extended by NatWest who was the parent company for Coutts and they're both part of the RBS group now. The 2015 loan did not have a "floating charge that covers all the property".

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6j828y/cig_recently_took_out_a_loan_from_coutts_co_in/djcj08r/

That "everything up as collateral" is a legal requirement for the type of loan. There are really only two ways to back a loan by cash or investment assets. You need a way to guarantee that you won't spend that cash or get rid of the investment and leave the bank with nothing for collateral. So instead, you put up "everything" for collateral. This is basically a fancy way of saying you promise to pay and if you don't the bank has claim on liquidation of assets to cover their costs.

As such, for legal reporting you don't put on the form that you are backing it with trust fund XXX - even if that is what you told the bank and showed them. There is a simple check box that tells the courts if the bank has claim on assets to recover the loan or if it does not. In this case, you get a much better interest rate by backing with cash then trying to get an unsecured loan. The lower the interest rate, the better the chance you have to not lose money on the process.

If I were to guess (and I haven't seen their finances - this is just what I would do) they have realized that the pound is likely to drop. Instead of transferring cash from their US subsidiary, they secured the lowest interest rate loan they could using this type of backing. They then put the cash in a short term financing vehicle with a 3%ish rate of return and will sit on it until the loan comes due.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:05:42 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

wsippel

« Reply #1143 on: June 25, 2017, 06:03:22 AM »
Eh, I'm not sure what to think about the whole loan thing. Could indicate financial troubles, but CIG uses Hollywood accountants, and we all know Hollywood accounting is super shady and intransparent. Also, money is dirt cheap right now, you can borrow at close to 0% interest, so it might be worthwhile/ profitable for companies even if they don't actually need a loan.

Isn't EVE more of an MMO style click on things to attack game? While this is more like actual space warfare?

Sure, the games are quite different, but a ton of folks in my Eve alliance are very interested in Star Citizen. It's the similarities that count to many of us, not the differences. And it's not like most of us don't also like action games.

wsippel

« Reply #1144 on: June 25, 2017, 07:20:47 AM »
EVE online is a terrible game.

It is. But it's a very unique game, and scratches itches no other game can scratch.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1145 on: June 25, 2017, 07:35:58 AM »
Eh, I'm not sure what to think about the whole loan thing. Could indicate financial troubles, but CIG uses Hollywood accountants, and we all know Hollywood accounting is super shady and intransparent. Also, money is dirt cheap right now, you can borrow at close to 0% interest, so it might be worthwhile/ profitable for companies even if they don't actually need a loan.

At a minimum, shouldn't backers be concerned of the project now being tied to a third party (even if it turns out it's an inconsequential loan) ? Didn't people sink 150m$ in the name of total complete autonomy ? And did they pledge to allow CIG to game financial markets (if that's really the reason) ?
It's true that it's hard to infer much from the existence of a loan but if they need cashflow now (which for all intents and purposes is the likeliest reason you contract one) one may ask if they're not confident that the supposedly imminent of a "major" release will either be successful or is all that close.
ὕβρις

wsippel

« Reply #1146 on: June 25, 2017, 08:06:41 AM »
As I wrote, it seems a bit shady, but then again, it could be nothing and CIG sadly isn't required to tell us what they're doing. CR once stated that they had substantial monetary reserves because they didn't burn through the funding as quickly as it came in. If that's true, those funds are certainly managed, because just letting them rot would be stupid. So, let's say the managed funds make 3 - 5% a year, and you can take a loan for 0.5%, borrowing money to pay the bills while keeping your funds where they are might be a pretty good idea. I know quite a few companies and individuals are doing that right now, because interests are so low. And a bank is more likely to let them keep their autonomy than other investors.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1147 on: June 25, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
Sadly the post was edited but the title is amazing :

just emailed coutts (the bank) to clear up the misinfo about star citizen kickstater

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6jessj/just_emailed_coutts_to_clear_up_the_misinfo_about/?st=j4cv5suh&sh=25a82d76

MASSIVE AMOUNT OF FUD SPREAD !

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6jepzi/psa_massive_amount_of_misinformation_spread_in/

It's almost as if gaming publishers that pay journalists WANT a self-published game to fail so they can stay relevant...
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1149 on: June 25, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
CIG issued a statement on the loan :

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/re-uk-tax-rebate-advance-for-foundry-42

Basically claims it's an advance on their UK tax rebate (a few millions) and a convenient tool to offset exchange rates. Still seems like severe collateral (more severe than their previous one) on its face for a layman like me but who knows ?
The memes are great. The Derek Smart "Mission Accomplished" one especially. It's fairly significant CIG issued a statement on a Sunday and this quick however. The whole thing was picking up steam through a number of smaller PC outlets and they (correctly) thought it was probably far more damaging to let it run rampant than missing most of their deadlines.

Speaking of : YoY funding is stable overall though they it's more erratic month to month. I checked earlier and that's why I'm doubtful CIG is in a frantic death spiral. Even with terrible management, you can blow a lot of steam with 30+ millions a year (especially since it's unclear how much they rely on contractors). It's now a gigantic do or die marathon race to see if CIG can release something meaningful before eroding the confidence of their backers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:54:25 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1150 on: June 26, 2017, 05:42:50 AM »
To bank with Coutts you must have at least £1,000,000 in tangible assets and in any event they are selective about their clientele; which implies CIG is doing well.
I enjoyed this defenders post about the loan. Because ~$1.25 million in tangible assets for an actually operating company of this supposed size that has produced what we actually have seen plus all the publicly shown real estate and office decor?

I'd be more impressed if you told me Chris Roberts always slips two Canadian pennies into the center when he deposits a roll of them. It'd also raise a whole bunch of questions like why is he rolling pennies and why is he doing it with North American currency when he lives in the UK? Like is his house full of change because he always empties his pockets after forgetting but never does anything about it but let it pile up? But still where is he getting all the American change from?

Also, will I be able to roll currency in zero G in this game? Because surely some species must be using hard currency still. How is the timeline on that "Gas Cloud" coming? Do we have any insider info on what color this "Gas Cloud" might be? I feel like this needs to become a priority and I'd like a fifty minute video about the meetings being held to discuss the "Gas Cloud" in detail.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1151 on: June 26, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »

:lol
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1152 on: June 26, 2017, 10:51:58 PM »
This loan thing is like Christmas for Derek Smart.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1153 on: June 27, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
Some goon made the good point that the amount of the loan (which is probably at least a couple of millions since it's equal to the tax rebates that can be expected) was never added to the funding chart. Which speaks of its vagueness.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #1154 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
one thing i love about derek smart's involvement in all this is that like five years ago or whatever he went semi-sane and was talking about how Steam was going to allow him to finally do all the shit he promised back in the day and building off a basic model with backers was a new future for gaming and seemed like he had gotten over his old self

he even put all his games, including that new one he's been working on for like twenty years, on Steam for free for a while...then Star Citizen came about and he's gone right back to his old self :lol

edit: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/883/3000AD_SCIFI_COMPENDIUM/
Not Recommended
0.7 hrs on record
POSTED: FEBRUARY 15, 2014
I purchased this game when it first game out. That was my first mistake. This game is empty, broken, and virtually unplayable. There is no explanation about how to play or WHY to play the darn thing in the first place. At $20, this game might seem forgivable, but it is not. There are better things to spend your money on, and even if this game goes on sale for $1.00, DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY ON IT! Pretty much everything written about the game features is a lie. It plays terrible, it sounds terrible, and it looks terrible as well. Don't waste your time with it.

wsippel

« Reply #1155 on: June 28, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »
Some goon made the good point that the amount of the loan (which is probably at least a couple of millions since it's equal to the tax rebates that can be expected) was never added to the funding chart. Which speaks of its vagueness.

CIG also made money from cross promotion and shit (with AMD, and I think AT&T or Time Warner Cable or something and some storage company), and that money also never appeared on the chart.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:50:21 PM by wsippel »

bluemax

« Reply #1156 on: June 28, 2017, 11:23:02 PM »
one thing i love about derek smart's involvement in all this is that like five years ago or whatever he went semi-sane and was talking about how Steam was going to allow him to finally do all the shit he promised back in the day and building off a basic model with backers was a new future for gaming and seemed like he had gotten over his old self

he even put all his games, including that new one he's been working on for like twenty years, on Steam for free for a while...then Star Citizen came about and he's gone right back to his old self :lol

edit: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/883/3000AD_SCIFI_COMPENDIUM/
Not Recommended
0.7 hrs on record
POSTED: FEBRUARY 15, 2014
I purchased this game when it first game out. That was my first mistake. This game is empty, broken, and virtually unplayable. There is no explanation about how to play or WHY to play the darn thing in the first place. At $20, this game might seem forgivable, but it is not. There are better things to spend your money on, and even if this game goes on sale for $1.00, DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY ON IT! Pretty much everything written about the game features is a lie. It plays terrible, it sounds terrible, and it looks terrible as well. Don't waste your time with it.

Derek is just mad that Chris Roberts is scamming people better than he ever could.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1157 on: June 29, 2017, 06:57:18 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6k7xwn/would_you_buy_crew/

I can see few scenarios even without wage discount where having your own NPC's might make sense. Mind tho that it is all very vague at the moment and information given is sometimes even outright conflicting across the years.

- Vast majority of NPC's available on market are strictly one trick ponies. If you hire a pilot off the job market that is what you get and he is probably not able to do anything else for you. But what if you need a NPC that can do two, perhaps even three different things as the need arises? You have two options - finding one through "quests" and convincing him/her to join you (probably at premium price) a la Mass Effect, or you make your own!

- Custom NPC's do not have moral compass. Not all NPC's you hire are willing to break the law but your custom NPC will not blink an eye if you tell him to throw few bodies into the reclaimer furnace. The are considered a part of player character and thus will most of the time just do what you tell them to do. Within some limits probably, even a custom NPC might not be willing to do just outright suicidal shit.

- You might be able to arrange beneficial combination of personality traits (many of which are hidden from you when you hire NPC off the market), say for example, exceptionally optimistic and able to eat anything even if it squirms around still without getting mood debuffs.

- Custom NPC's might be unable to betray you. even if you treat them like crap. They might be able to leave your service though thus vacating the slot.

Yes, interesting you brought up packs though. Tony Z recently mentioned that there would be a couple of types of crew. There will be characters we expect with specific attributes that can perform roles on the ship and also there will be crew "packs" that basically come in bulk and include the fluff roles that make a ship feel lived in that players would never bother adding to crew (janitors, cooks, etc). The details are up to speculation but I think the ultimate idea is that this pack will be cheap enough that we'll all buy/hire them so the ships has the fidelity of a real working ship while gameplay wise we pay real UEC to hire smaller amounts of real NPCs that do actual gameplay things.

Pretty cool if it pans out.

:stop

I even hope they allow our AI crew to be robots, so I don't even have to pretend to like fake people.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1158 on: June 30, 2017, 03:15:31 AM »
"Pretty cool if it pans out."

Star Citizen in a nutshell.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1159 on: June 30, 2017, 04:28:30 AM »

Quote from: radd
No, you're certainly right in that CIG (or their low budget supplier) hosed up, because lots of people who pledged after the campaign closed but before cards were printed wanted one, but CIG said it was a campaign reward only, then they backflipped. Then the first shipment went out, and lots of the non-Roman characters (things with umlauts etc) were all hosed up and not printed, so they decided to do another run to fix that and allowed people who missed out to purchase one in that run.

They then continued with the non-Roman character fuckup for their Subscriber Wall (identical fuckup to the backer card printing):  http://sanctuaryrepublic.com/forum/topic/3721-find-your-name-on-the-virtual-wall-of-honor/ which was apparently already in production when they showed the image to the public and people complained about issues in their name. I haven't seen it in person, but I am sure it's either a) not fixed, b) reprinted with more backer money, or c) in storage or landfill somewhere.

You can probably see one of such typo on line 1, the fourth name from the left is probably supposed to read "Void Singer [FŦĿ]"
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Void-Singer

:lol
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1163 on: July 03, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »
Derek Smart's Desktop Commander to be playable at CitizenCon???
©@©™

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1164 on: July 03, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
I have nothing to add here, just want to say I appreciate VKs work in this thread and enjoy the seemingly endless fuckery of this whole mess

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1165 on: July 03, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »
I, too, have enjoyed reading the ongoing presentation, thanks, VK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1166 on: July 03, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »
So it's visiting season I guess, some Gaffer (one of the obnoxious one in the SC thread) visited the LA office and BoredGamer was given another tour in Manchester (see reddit for that or his Youtube). They sign NDA and stuff but unsurprisingly it's all very positive.

Quote from: cabbagehead112 which is probably the Gaffer who visited the LA office, IIRC
Its what, the new Star Wars Battlefront should have been. But of course its EA and they always make sure to do the bare minimum. Regardless of a games past history. XD

We will have the first real form of Persistence

Didn't they claim to already have a baseline of Persistence quite a few months ago ? :yeshrug

They want if possible to get the Delta Patcher in Alpha 3.0

Mining is the next mechanic being added after 3.0 & will land in 3.1.

Again with 3.1, there will be more shops, locations, stuff to buy, missions and content.
Erin is very excited about Jobs and Roles that support and lead on to player interaction a lot of which will hopefully be coming with Alpha 3.1.

They are adding Tracked Vehicles, Static Defenses, Tanks, Missile Systems & more.
And a lot more of this is planning on coming with 3.1 as well

They have plans for Base Building mechanics later down the road too

3.1. is the new Jesus patch ?

They still plan to show the Vertical Slice (...) They will show the VS when it’s at that AAA polished WOW stage. There will be a public schedule for SQ42 as well, it wasn’t specified when this would occur OR the depth of that schedule BUT it was said that it would be when they were ready.

Is that the Vertical Slice they were barely days from finishing last year but later said they aborted because it was expanding efforts on something that ultimately was a demo separated from the main branch ? What ?

Ground & Space Battles both can be of epic scale & in a lot of situations will bleed over to combat over ground, air & space.
The System allows for an Idris to go close to a planet and unload it’s weaponry. They are adding Tracked Vehicles, Static Defenses, Tanks, Missile Systems & more. (...) They will have control of systems dynamic too, if you force out the Vanduul of a system in the PU then that system may get colonized by humans or military outposts & patrols might pop up from the UEE.
Pushing the Vanduul out of a system would be hard BUT it is possible and part of the game mechanics BUT also would be large scale invasions from NPCs that could take control of a system if players & other NPCs don’t protect it.
But there will be massive NPC Fleet Battles, that players can get involved with if they want, which will also feature heavily in SQ42.

The Engine that they have built and now use can build any game, it’s a massive Universe simulator, that you could create a game OR a mode on a single planet to an incredible high level of detail OR just focus on a system OR larger.

idontbelieveyou.gif

It's not clear whether he "saw" that stuff or was told by Erin Roberts in his interview (I'd say the latter since he signed a NDA, as customary with CIG, about his office visit). It's not the first time a fan visit office and the tone is most always the same.

Also a dev (we already quoted) spoke about cargo :

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6l1au7/all_the_latest_cargo_info_courtesy_will_maiden_on/

Exchange under spoiler (for size) below :
[close]
For context : the "IFCS" is "Intelligent flight control system" and really it's how the game manages thrusters

Quote from: Space Crabs on SA
actually if you read between the lines, the backer is asking if cargo loads will be realistically simulated down to the balance of the load and whether or not ships can fail to achieve orbit

CiG guys goes "YES! OF COURSE!" then lays out mechanics that do none of that. Based on what he is saying it will just be a cargo slider and your ship burns more fuel the higher the cargo slider. As for achieving orbit every ship will be able to (meaning that mechanic doesn't exist) and it's explained away as "No ship will have a cargo hold large enough that it can't achieve orbit!"

Backers read that and see it as explicit agreement of their cargo loading fantasies, CIG guy masterfully over explains the way cargo works in most other games already.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6l1682/cargo_hauling_physics_update_from_spectrum/

Agreed. I love the Fidelity™ they are putting into the game. Most games treat cargo is "units", sometimes with volume, but SC is more granular, more personal, because we are not our ships.

:salute

I mean, I'm obviously an entrenched skeptic and I think this thing is past its salvage point... but who knows ? Maybe they'll release something showing actual progress this year. Then again it was the narrative last year.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1167 on: July 03, 2017, 10:21:21 PM »
"The Engine that they have built and now use can build any game, it’s a massive Universe simulator, that you could create a game OR a mode on a single planet to an incredible high level of detail OR just focus on a system OR larger."

TaylorSwiftOkay.gif
NO

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1168 on: July 04, 2017, 05:56:54 PM »
Unrealistic Engine
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #1169 on: July 05, 2017, 01:35:57 AM »
Its what, the new Star Wars Battlefront should have been. But of course its EA and they always make sure to do the bare minimum. Regardless of a games past history. XD
Like here's the thing though, DICE actually did it. Even the first of the new Battlefronts has an insane scale and level of chaos at 64 players that still looks like the friggin films. (Because it's Battlefield...but with Star Wars...which the original two games were as well.)

That stream that dude did of SQ42 has the neat zero G combat and all, but nobody was using it and it was looking like a lot of other FPSes. And there certainly wasn't any scale to the battle.

Even the vertical slice demo they showed with the sand worm did not have any battles in it.

I'm just going to assume the lack of comments about Gas Cloud mean it's under heavy NDA. I mean, if anything would be, it's Gas Cloud.

benjipwns

« Reply #1170 on: July 05, 2017, 01:36:32 AM »
"The Engine that they have built and now use can build any game, it’s a massive Universe simulator, that you could create a game OR a mode on a single planet to an incredible high level of detail OR just focus on a system OR larger."

TaylorSwiftOkay.gif

lol ur gonna look like a fool when it's done

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1171 on: July 05, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
Seen on SA (User : Wrecked Angle) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt4r3ksHXng#t=472s

Quote from: Chris Roberts
We actually have a full Universe simulation that runs… we actually don’t need it to run on any particular bank of servers. It just actually runs on one server, and it simulates about 20 million AI agents.

August 3rd 2015
[close]

ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #1172 on: July 05, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
Chris Roberts looks like a wizard put a spell on a bobblehead to bring it to life

bluemax

« Reply #1173 on: July 05, 2017, 10:33:01 PM »
Full universe simulation and 20 million AI agents just feels like them throwing out nonsense with no context.
NO

wsippel

« Reply #1174 on: July 07, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
Didn't they claim to already have a baseline of Persistence quite a few months ago ? :yeshrug

Character state persistence went online a few months ago, world state persistence will be coming with 3.0.

3.1. is the new Jesus patch ?

No, that's still 3.0. 3.1 is supposed to add some more gameplay options, but 3.0 is when the persistent world will go live. At that point, Star Citizen finally becomes an actual MMO, even if the scope is initially quite limited.

Is that the Vertical Slice they were barely days from finishing last year but later said they aborted because it was expanding efforts on something that ultimately was a demo separated from the main branch ? What ?

Unlikely. The original vertical slice was, as you wrote, a different branch. The new VS should be a polished section from the actual main branch.

CiG guys goes "YES! OF COURSE!" then lays out mechanics that do none of that. Based on what he is saying it will just be a cargo slider and your ship burns more fuel the higher the cargo slider. As for achieving orbit every ship will be able to (meaning that mechanic doesn't exist) and it's explained away as "No ship will have a cargo hold large enough that it can't achieve orbit!"

Mass doesn't prevent you from orbiting something, unless it's higher than the mass of the object you're trying to orbit. Then said object will instead orbit you. So, unless you can load black holes in your cargo hold, I don't see what this is supposed to be about. There are no orbital mechanics in the game right now though, and I'm pretty sure they won't be in the public alpha for quite some time.

And the cargo management has been shown very recently. You can load/ unload bulk cargo with a slider, and the system will distribute the containers automatically. And yes, cargo has volume and mass, and mass distribution is supposedly taken into account for the physical simulation. If you manually grab a container or something and shove it in your cargo hold, it gets secured to the floor where you put it.

Full universe simulation and 20 million AI agents just feels like them throwing out nonsense with no context.

It's just agent-based economic modelling using AI, with the number of agents being around ten times the number of registered players. It's purpose is to limit the player impact on the economy. It's not nearly as amazing or outlandish as it sounds.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:46:53 AM by wsippel »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1175 on: July 07, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »
Unlikely. The original vertical slice was, as you wrote, a different branch. The new VS should be a polished section from the actual main branch.

Ehhh, do you have some evidence for that ? The reddit OP I posted calls it "the Vertical Slice" and the rest of the sentence also implies it's the same one ("They still plan to...").

It's just agent-based economic modelling using AI, with the number of agents being around ten times the number of registered players. It's purpose is to limit the player impact on the economy. It's not nearly as amazing or outlandish as it sounds.

They still haven't demonstrated they have a functioning economic model, game area, NPC AI or even a definitive flight model to feed into that, yet they had it 2 years ago on a server ? I'm not a game developer but it's hard to buy.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1176 on: July 07, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
Also, random stuff : Illfonic, who was once contracted to do the "Star Marine" part of Star Citizen but whose work was binned after merging proved impossible for some technical detail, is the dev behind the latest "Friday the 13th" game.
ὕβρις

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1177 on: July 07, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »
Oh I've heard good things about that one

wsippel

« Reply #1178 on: July 08, 2017, 12:36:37 AM »
Ehhh, do you have some evidence for that ? The reddit OP I posted calls it "the Vertical Slice" and the rest of the sentence also implies it's the same one ("They still plan to...").

Nah, no evidence, just like there's no evidence that they're still working on the same old vertical slice. But that simply wouldn't make sense, as CIG did admit that forking the game to work on a demo was a massive waste of time. I guess it's possible that they still plan to show the same mission, just running on the mainline engine - which would be perfectly fine and reasonable.

They still haven't demonstrated they have a functioning economic model, game area, NPC AI or even a definitive flight model to feed into that, yet they had it 2 years ago on a server ? I'm not a game developer but it's hard to buy.

Again, it's just an economic simulation. It has nothing to do with NPC AI, doesn't need a fleshed out game area or a flight model, because those AI agents aren't NPCs you'll encounter in space. It's absolutely possible that they already had a working prototype of that simulation two years ago, but it's really not what people think it is, and it certainly isn't hooked up to the game server yet.

Also, random stuff : Illfonic, who was once contracted to do the "Star Marine" part of Star Citizen but whose work was binned after merging proved impossible for some technical detail, is the dev behind the latest "Friday the 13th" game.

Interesting. I thought they'd close shop after their MMO was canceled.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1179 on: July 08, 2017, 05:38:21 PM »
Yesterday was schedule day and schedule day is also delay day.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6m00ea/300_and_global_progress_watch_update_20170707/

This push the current release dates around Gamescom that CIG generally attend, which a lot of people expected, it's generally the start of the second half push to more funding. It really seems they will release something named "Pre-alpha 3.0.0" this summer, if only because they are nominally claiming to be completing tasks on their schedule and I'm not sure they want to gamble their backers good will more than they already have.

Though it's CIG so I wouldn't be surprised they dragged until December or next year, really. I guess we'll see in the next two weeks if they keep pushing dates back farther than even Gamescom.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1180 on: July 10, 2017, 03:53:25 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6m3fmc/amid_the_recent_influx_of_idiocy_here_surrounding/

it's shocking how fast they've progressed in my opinion

if you know anything about games development, you can be damn sure the tech they've developed while expanding several studios alone is shocking

that they're making progress this quickly and doing it out in the open for everyone to see is absolutely unprecedented

CR wanted 3.0 to be out before 2017, and if they had glued their procedural planet tech onto the current 2.6 framework, they likely could have done it. But then people would have complained that item 2.0 wasn't done, they would have complained about the serialization not being implemented, they would have said that the planets and moons looked unfinished, and that since the NPC's had zero AI the universe felt empty.

Him stating an accurate release date doesn't change the end state of the game or when it's released. It does affect revenue which only increase how soon we can get the game and how many features it has. Which means if he tells us we get it in 6 months but we get it in 12, if he didn't we likely would have gotten less in 14 had he said originally 12.

I thought they had said that they were not working on the vertical slice anymore because it wasn't representative of the game with the proper back-end systems in place. Now they mention it again in a studio update so it makes me wonder what happened. Did they start it all over? I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely different than what they had last year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6m3fmc/amid_the_recent_influx_of_idiocy_here_surrounding/djzylhv/

Come off it mate - what the 3.0 demo last year was is a game environment which is simulated in a heavily code-driven manner, is highly interactive, and written to react accordingly to all manner of input. Sure, there were many mechanics that still need to come, but that was the core of an alpha-state game that was being iterated upon, not a hastily-built on-rails demonstration of a specific feature.

I can say with a strong degree of confidence that much of the code written for that demo will not make 3.0.
(...)
I'm not Derek Smart, I'm not saying that the whole thing was faked, obviously it ran on top of a development build with a lot of added core functionality with a lot of work behind it, I'm just pointing out that it was intended to be representative of 3.0's functionality by using a lot of temporary and bespoke code.

That's an excellently put, cogent argument there.

What's funny about it though is that my entire comment was quoted nearly verbatim from one of yours 10 months ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6m3fmc/amid_the_recent_influx_of_idiocy_here_surrounding/djyqebm/

15 fps with 4 cutlasses landing on a planet doesn't give me confidence.

I AM NOT EXPECTING BETTER FRAMERATES but to say "there are other performance-improving netcode fixes" implies you think 3.0 will run better than 2.6. I swear to eat a bag of shit if thats true. If we get a minimum of 30fps on a 1080ti, i will eat a bag of feces and put it on youtube.
ὕβρις

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1181 on: July 10, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
This right here, y'see, this right here is why I don't kickstarter anything

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1182 on: July 13, 2017, 04:16:21 AM »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1183 on: July 14, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
The Cyclone will go on sale starting Friday, July 21st. There will be 5 options, with prices ranging from $45 to $70.

I'm $70 poorer and I don't even know what i'm buying :(

Is it me or is CIG stepping up their game of delivering new vehicles, or at least make them finished enough to put up a sale. It almost looks like a new vehicle every other week. Is this an indication of their pipeline improving,?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6nb05z/the_cyclone_will_go_on_sale_starting_friday_july/

German mag Game Star apparently had its usual big preview before Gamescom

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6nb9cn/game_star_title_story_images/

Yup, this is also my guess too. They talked about procedural city planets last year in the month or two after Gamescom/CitizenCon and haven't really mentioned it since.

I remember they said for procedural city planets (meaning planets that are almost all a massive city) that instead of being 100% explorable they would have X many land ports on them and then like a computer system on the planet would guide your ship in for a landing. You could move up/down/left/right while being guided but you more or less were being tractored in and follow a set path. Something along the lines of this solves the problems of players just flying around crashing into buildings all the time, but also made more sense in the lore as more civilized planets like that would have more strict laws and lanes where ships can go.

Which honestly to me sounds fine, I can't imagine the amount of effort and time it would take to make one planet that is one big city, yet alone many. So if those planets are just an hand fun of really detailed city areas to explore, I'm ok with that!

:doge

Apparently Game Star played a demo, maybe ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6nau6m/gamestar_titelstory_summary/

Todd Pappy on the answer after the Strechtgoal Levski: "When C.R. makes a stretch goal, that means it has to be in the game in the given time. Often it depends on how important it is for C.R. Let's say, it's very important for him. The NPC Miles Eckhart, too."

:confused

In the Demo they have problems with the elevators and the physics grid, so they had to use commands.

Shortly after they used the new nox bike, the game crashed.

In one room they find the corpse of the missing person. (Sadly the interaction system in the demo fails) But now 2 enemies are coming from behind and start to fire at you.

Not everything that will be in 3.0 could they test. (trading, insurance and stamina).
Many apps and improvements on systems are missing in the demo.

You get the idea.

Between 7 and 14 missions will be in the game. How many it will depend on how many problems they have to face until 3.0. But they will add them via updates.

Until last year. They worked on Kythera and CryAI, but C.R. didn't want two systems. Brian Chambers: the foundation has to be perfect for such an important part of the game. They had to make half a step backwards and build it right. Both systems got merged together into the subsumption AI.

I show features when they are not ready and polished, but for SQ42, I don't want to do this. If I show it, it has to be like Activision or Bethesda is unveiling a new game at E3, only with the difference that everything we show is ingame. (...) He wants to show the finished system without any compromise solution and workarounds. With the current status is C.R. very happy:"When the people see it, they will understand and they will be very happy about it". It's done when it's done. If we can see SQ42 didn't want C.R. us to tell.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1184 on: July 15, 2017, 03:08:14 AM »
More awkward translations from Gamestar :

https://as.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6nc6j6/gamestar_the_technique_behind_star_citizen/

Someday, Star Citizen should contain around 100 star systems with over 300 planets and moons.
(...)
For release C.R. is aiming for 5 to 10 star systems.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1185 on: July 15, 2017, 07:23:26 AM »
Smart has another Elijah trance :

https://mobile.twitter.com/dsmart/status/885144183945789442

Yeah, whatever you bespectrum'd fucko. Go write your own late-to-market and yet still-incomplete game.

Again.

OTOH:
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1186 on: July 17, 2017, 03:13:00 AM »
Backers refactoring their own minds in real time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6nfj9d/discussion_5_to_10_star_systems_at_launch/

This isn't EA where they schedule 8 things and if timmy-the-imported-slave doesn't finish them they spray some jiz on the done work and publish.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #1187 on: July 17, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
not having an actual release date to meet does give you that advantage

wsippel

« Reply #1188 on: July 17, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »

https://as.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6nc6j6/gamestar_the_technique_behind_star_citizen/

Someday, Star Citizen should contain around 100 star systems with over 300 planets and moons.
(...)

That's already more than I expected, honestly. And I think it'll ultimately be two or three star systems at launch, and maybe ten in total. See, the thing a lot of people miss is that initially, every planet was supposed to be essentially just a single landing zone. Like Freelancer back in the day. You approach a planet, request permission to land, and the auto-pilot would bring you down to the single fleshed-out location. Everything outside that landing zone was supposed to be a Potemkin Village. That was before Foundry42 designed the procedural planet tech. Now there's free atmospheric flight, and a single stellar object can have multiple cities, outposts, crash sites, small settlements and what have you, so it should be a lot more dense. And hardly anybody really likes the No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous approach, with hundreds of millions of solar systems and even more planets, where everything is ultimately really just copy-pasta with fuck-all to see or do. CIG always had a "quality over quantity" approach. Plus, they want people to run into each other, which is kinda hard if the universe gets too big and open.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1189 on: July 18, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »

(...)

That's already more than I expected, honestly. And I think it'll ultimately be two or three star systems at launch, and maybe ten in total. See, the thing a lot of people miss is that initially, every planet was supposed to be essentially just a single landing zone. Like Freelancer back in the day. You approach a planet, request permission to land, and the auto-pilot would bring you down to the single fleshed-out location. Everything outside that landing zone was supposed to be a Potemkin Village. That was before Foundry42 designed the procedural planet tech. Now there's free atmospheric flight, and a single stellar object can have multiple cities, outposts, crash sites, small settlements and what have you, so it should be a lot more dense. And hardly anybody really likes the No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous approach, with hundreds of millions of solar systems and even more planets, where everything is ultimately really just copy-pasta with fuck-all to see or do. CIG always had a "quality over quantity" approach. Plus, they want people to run into each other, which is kinda hard if the universe gets too big and open.

Chris Roberts spoke of over 100 systems with fully explorable planets less than a year ago, after deciding on using procedural generation.

"One of the long-term schedule challenges is building out the universe that we've – in all the stretch goals, we got up to 100 star systems, I think we have 110 now – we're not going to have them all done on the day of release. We're going to try to get a good chunk of them through, so the creation of all those planets with the additional interest... it's not just about the planet, it's about the planet with its local ecosystem in terms of life. So, there are plans to have animals or creatures down there, but also not just the major landing locations, but other smaller locations.”

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2613-chris-roberts-on-star-citizen-procedural-planets-alpha3-citizencon

This idea that 100 systems was an outdated promise based on an obsolete design has been immacutely concepted by backers on reddit.

Also remember that 2 months ago Chris Roberts also said :

Simply put; because we want to create the richest most fully realized universe that Gaming has ever seen.
ὕβρις

bluemax

« Reply #1190 on: July 18, 2017, 07:49:15 PM »
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:54:09 PM by bluemax »
NO

wsippel

« Reply #1191 on: July 19, 2017, 04:27:22 AM »
Chris Roberts spoke of over 100 systems with fully explorable planets less than a year ago, after deciding on using procedural generation.

I know he did, but it never seemed realistic to me.

This idea that 100 systems was an outdated promise based on an obsolete design has been immacutely concepted by backers on reddit.

I wouldn't know, I barely visit the subreddit and don't read the drama threads. I think it's pretty obvious that it was based on an older design, because we know what the original design was and what the current design is. And I had a hard time believing they could do 100 systems even with the original design.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1192 on: July 20, 2017, 04:26:48 AM »

I know he did, but it never seemed realistic to me.

I wouldn't know, I barely visit the subreddit and don't read the drama threads. I think it's pretty obvious that it was based on an older design, because we know what the original design was and what the current design is. And I had a hard time believing they could do 100 systems even with the original design.

Apologies then, I had some doubts reading your precedent post if you were endorsing the superfan narrative (all according to keikaku !") or expressing your own suspicions on previous claims. And I agree that I would be "impressed" if they even manage to create a handful of planets up to the level of detail and gameplay options they hyped (as a side note, in a piece by "RedBull games" last year, Roberts speaks of 100 systems being roughly 400 planets). Which open up a whole another can of worm because below a certain threshold one wonder if the whole spacefaring element -notably so called "exploration" gameplay- even make sense.
ὕβρις

wsippel

« Reply #1193 on: July 20, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
Apologies then, I had some doubts reading your precedent post if you were endorsing the superfan narrative (all according to keikaku !") or expressing your own suspicions on previous claims. And I agree that I would be "impressed" if they even manage to create a handful of planets up to the level of detail and gameplay options they hyped (as a side note, in a piece by "RedBull games" last year, Roberts speaks of 100 systems being roughly 400 planets). Which open up a whole another can of worm because below a certain threshold one wonder if the whole spacefaring element -notably so called "exploration" gameplay- even make sense.

I believe the exploration element is essentially just what EVE already has, except both in space and on moons and planets. You scan down randomly placed sites and wormholes, the sites will eventually be mined/ cleared out and wormholes will collapse, they'll respawn elsewhere, and explorers have new stuff to track down. Even just a single system offers enough room to spawn tons and tons of sites at any given time.

And yeah, about the 400 planet thing: If you look at the current starmap, there'll supposedly be more than 100 systems, more than 400 planets, and at least 1000 moons. If you look at just the Stanton system, that one has four planets, every one of them with massive cities and factories and what have you, and unless Levsky is supposed to be an outlier, many of the moons could have major outposts as well (beyond the randomly generated modular outposts). Doing that at the proposed scope was never realistic.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1194 on: July 20, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
ὕβρις

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1195 on: July 21, 2017, 03:07:19 AM »
what the fuck

now this game has car combat huh

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1196 on: July 21, 2017, 05:20:22 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6oki5h/around_the_verse_kiosks_and_commodities_relay/

They also finished up the second sprint for “Buddy AI”. Designers can now specify if they want to keep the AI in front or on the side of the leader or player. This sprint also brings the ability for an AI buddy to take cover in front of a player, and moving from cover to cover point while following the player. This is the first step in having companion AI that will intelligently follow you and and help you out in combat.

We're still a long away from the single player game...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/comments?cursor=1633093#comment-1633092

I've built versions of the game Star Citizen promises to be multiple times and I'm uniquely positioned to know the risks and challenges in achieving Star Citizen. Its not going to be easy. I'm sure some things will not work out the way I intend, and there will be some things that I never envisioned that become awesome features. That is always the way of development. I've spent a year doing the research and prototyping. I have a plan on how to achieve what I've laid out. I wouldn't have gotten on stage at GDC Online if I didn't think I could build Star Citizen. It may take a little longer than 24 months to deliver all the features (as precision on development timelines is always tricky this far out), but whatever happens, you as the backers will get to see the dev team's progress, play early builds and have an insight into high end development like never before!

:mouf
ὕβρις

wsippel

« Reply #1197 on: July 21, 2017, 08:43:36 AM »
what the fuck

now this game has car combat huh

The Ursa rover introduced years ago is armed. The more recently introduced Dragonfly and Nox are armed ground vehicles as well. This is just a new vehicle, not a completely new concept.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #1198 on: July 22, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
No delay this week at least not to the general window of release. So still supposed to come for next Gamescom.
And even a video of something that could be mechanics.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/888477677522255872

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/888478083409473536

PC Gamer also has a trailer (official or fanmade ? Unclear)

Not super cohesive. Love the landing at 1'20"  :lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6orld6/star_citizen_alpha_30_trailer/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:12:26 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1199 on: July 22, 2017, 05:29:27 PM »