Author Topic: LawBreakers (Cliff Bleszinski)  (Read 11634 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
LawBreakers (Cliff Bleszinski)
« on: August 28, 2015, 07:43:48 PM »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: LawBreakers (Cliff Bleszinski)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 07:50:13 PM »
Lawbreakers is the first videogame in years to actually have something to say.

yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 08:14:33 PM »
So, I guess the market is going to be flooded with arena shooters next year with this game, Blizzard's Overwatch, Gearbox's Battleborn, and Bethesda's Battlecry, huh? At least three of them are "free-to-play." I'm trying to care, but just can't really muster any enthusiasm for any of them.
dog

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:17:54 PM »
So, I guess the market is going to be flooded with arena shooters next year with this game, Blizzard's Overwatch, Gearbox's Battleborn, and Bethesda's Battlecry, huh? At least three of them are "free-to-play." I'm trying to care, but just can't really muster any enthusiasm for any of them.

Unreal Tournament is also in the works, think its free to play, don't know if its coming out anytime soon though.
OH!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
Dirty Bomb is scratching my shooter itch just fine, but who knows, Overwatch, etc. might be a fun romp.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:34 PM »

Unreal Tournament is also in the works, think its free to play, don't know if its coming out anytime soon though.

Correct. Unreal Tournament 4 is Free to Play and supposed to be shooting for next year.

Either way, it is the only one besides Overwatch that I'm honestly looking at. Cliffy hasn't done anything since Jazz Jackrabbit that resonated with me.

(And yes, I know the contradiction with caring about UT. But that's only because of the UT v Q3 war days)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:54:10 PM »
In hindsight, Gears of War multiplayer in 1&3 and horde mode/all the extra co-op modes are excellent. Gears single player across the board though hasn't aged well at all, every enemy is a bullet sponge unless you use a shotty or power weapons that are trickled throughout single player.

I expect Lawbreakers will have a okay/good launch and then the playerbase will dwindle pretty quickly.
OH!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 10:47:42 PM »

Yeah, I made a thread on this subject on the bore maybe 6 months ago. At least most of the above games are adding different elements to the traditional formula. They all kind of look cool to me in various ways but yeah its unlikely for all of them to find an audience. Overwatch because of the Blizzard name I have a feeling is going to be the most popular one by far.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 10:51:56 PM »
I'm excited for Overwatch. I'll try Battlecry. Fuck Gearbox though so Battleborn can go kick rocks.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 12:11:51 AM »
all these objective based fpses...can't we just get a Wolfenstein ET remake

:tocry

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 12:56:49 AM »

Just hold on a little longer, Doom is almost here.
dog

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 08:01:40 AM »

Yeah, I made a thread on this subject on the bore maybe 6 months ago. At least most of the above games are adding different elements to the traditional formula. They all kind of look cool to me in various ways but yeah its unlikely for all of them to find an audience. Overwatch because of the Blizzard name I have a feeling is going to be the most popular one by far.

It sounds like companies hit on the idea of having individually defined characters with different skill sets from MOBA's and fusing them with genres like FPS at the same time instead of just customisable character classes. Battleborn is a straight up is a FPS MOBA for one. Not that it's a bad thing considering your average military/Sci-Fi FPS shootbang is starting to to wear out it's welcome but the industry tends to do this thing of seeing everyone jumping on popular games and then suddenly more "influenced" games start to pour out.

Also it gives them the F2P option immediately off the bat. Which is probably more important to them.

thisismyusername

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »

Isn't that what Dirty Bomb was attempting, but did poorly?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
Funny thing is everyone seems to forget there already was a FPS/TPS MOBA that was semi-popular for a bit. Monday Night Combat.

I never played SuperMNC to see what was different.

I wouldn't lump UT in with the rest, it's a straight HIGH DEFINITION remake of 99/04. You can play it right now, they have tons of all the old maps/weapons already in with no real textures for the maps yet. The differences are minuscule with how it plays. It's like CS->CS:S->CS:GO, you can tell if you've overindulged but it's more like GO in that it's not drastically different like 3 was and the differences are good/not game breaking.

Even the lone Unreal 4 showcase map runs like butter in comparison to most of these betas these days.

Isn't that what Dirty Bomb was attempting, but did poorly?
Dirty Bomb is quite good. I'd definitely recommend giving it a few hours. Especially if you're one of those weirdos who actually liked any aspect of Brink.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 03:48:54 PM »
I loved MnC and SuperMnC. Put a health amount of time in both but shit monetization killed the latter.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 07:23:35 AM »
Tribes Ascend at its peak :rejoice

Tribes Ascend after the speed cap patch  :noooo

Monetization. The killer of great games. Fuck you Hi-Rez

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 09:46:14 AM »
Lawbreakers is the first videogame in years to actually have something to say.

lol memes u so funni
dur

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 01:40:16 PM »
Looks fun I won't deny it. Characters look like TF2 on roids though, as if Michaelangelo was a game developer.  That kind of makes sense if he was alive today.

Correct. Unreal Tournament 4 is Free to Play and supposed to be shooting for next year.

Either way, it is the only one besides Overwatch that I'm honestly looking at. Cliffy hasn't done anything since Jazz Jackrabbit that resonated with me.

(And yes, I know the contradiction with caring about UT. But that's only because of the UT v Q3 war days)

I think I remember Jazz being shareware so maybe he's going back to his roots?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 09:10:06 PM »
think im gonna be serious about this one boys

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
yuh this is legit now brehs benji sempai u gotta try it

blitzball is a lot of fun  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »
Wait, I installed this a while ago but I don't think the beta servers were up yet?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 05:38:12 PM »
if you've had a key/beta before its open now but it goes open on friday i think thats how it works

http://lawbreakers.nexon.net/en/news/article/23204/launch-pre-order-and-beta-dates-revealed

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Already got too many games to play, but I'll give it a try tonight. Been really interested in this for a while~

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

benjipwns

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 12:33:20 AM »
 :dead at kicking the dude up the wall and shootin his face to death

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 12:45:18 AM »
The boot is super disrespectful but so effective if they get close in zero g. Especially if its a class that doesn't have a lot of mobility options, it'll fuck their whole game plan up and ppl aren't quick to adapt in this game yet. Only reason I led with the kick though was to get them off the obj a$ap

thisismyusername

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 05:24:52 AM »
i bought this game

Toku, honey: I love you but... why?

>3000 players on launch
>now 1000 or less two days later

BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY. All he had to do was keep it F2P!
spoiler (click to show/hide)
So it'd flop even worse.
[close]

and hate myself

...Well, at least your honest.

#ripArenaShooterGenre meanwhile

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 05:36:43 AM »
Is this game "out"? Nobody knows this even exists. With Call of Duty and Destiny in the next few months, nobody gives two fucks about any FPS games.
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 05:57:06 AM »
Yeah, it's out but basically digital only. Outside of the collectors edition which is on both platforms and comes with an art book and stuff and the PC version comes in a big ol 90's style size box, they're only printing something like 5000 disc copies of the game for the PS4.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »
The physical release is already sold out.  But even though they did pre-sell through all their available copies, as a Limited Run Games release...it was slow to sell out, with copies left over after they put up pre-orders.  That pretty much never happens.  They then took to making bundles of the game alongside Wonderboy, which people actually wanted, in an attempt to get rid of their remaining stock.

I tried the beta briefly and just didn't really care.  Didn't want to write off the game completely and waited to see how the release went- doesn't seem to have gone well, with dismal sales (Battleborn did better  :o) and reports of major stuttering issues on the PS4 version. 
ど助平

Stoney Mason

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »
Market too saturated for this game. Rip.

I hear it's actually pretty fun. Just will not be able to generate enough mindshare relative to the competition.

thisismyusername

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 09:34:38 AM »

I dunno. Shooters can get sales. But I'm so tired of folks copying Overwatch (I don't like MOBA elements in my shooters) that it's pretty much:

The fact that it needs a Nexxon account (like Quake Champions with Beth) is also a hard pass. When will publishers get it through their head that we already have 5-6 Clients, people don't want more of them?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 09:47:17 AM »
Nexxon? The game is doomed. They're not going to get enough resources to right the ship.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »

I dunno. Shooters can get sales. But I'm so tired of folks copying Overwatch (I don't like MOBA elements in my shooters) that it's pretty much:

What I've read is that this really isn't like Overwatch, in that the game is more balanced and is all about just the shooting mechanics and not about which character you pick to counter whatever other characters are on the map and blah blah blah. 

I think the problem here is that people just look at it and see "Overwatch clone."
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »

What I've read is that this really isn't like Overwatch, in that the game is more balanced and is all about just the shooting mechanics and not about which character you pick to counter whatever other characters are on the map and blah blah blah. 

I think the problem here is that people just look at it and see "Overwatch clone."

this is a big issue and leavers/quitters right now. Ppl joining a game, getting rekted and leaving almost immediately. Ppl can't handle losing in arena games anymore i guess

Stoney Mason

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »
High skill gap games with low pop suffer in today's market for a lot of different reasons. Plus in general arena shooters are always going to have a tougher time

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 03:17:57 PM »
Im 100% certain their plan is still to go F2P in a couples (im calling by spring) but they managed to find a decent audience with the betas/alphas so they decided to see what they could get as early adopters.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »
Im 100% certain their plan is still to go F2P in a couples (im calling by spring) but they managed to find a decent audience with the betas/alphas so they decided to see what they could get as early adopters.

It will definitely go f2p in the future. The only problem is that once people have a negative attitude about a game (justified or not), even going f2p down the road is unlikely to change that impression.

benjipwns

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 03:31:45 PM »
CliffyB's former company's game Fortnite is already confirmed as F2P but lets you pre-order and buy it if it the year of alphas didn't get boring enough for you. :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2017, 05:58:49 PM »

It may not exactly play like Overwatch, but it has the Q/E/F/Shift/whatever key ability systems like Overwatch. Which is a huge turn-off for me. Same reason (along with a Beth.com account) I'm balking at Quake Champions. But that one has a "classic" mode, which begs the question: Why would they MOBA-ize Quake in the first place, then? :doge

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »
to make money

quake champions is fucking fun; play it
pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

thisismyusername

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 06:49:07 PM »

You should refund if you have the chance, Toku. :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
This is the game Limited Run tried to pawn off to people who wanted Wonder Boy, right? Didn't even know it was a CliffyB joint.
^_^

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2017, 07:45:34 PM »

You should refund if you have the chance, Toku. :doge

i love the pain

bluemax

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 02:55:22 AM »
That video was brutal as fuck.
NO

thisismyusername

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
Toku, bb: If you're such a sadist we'll have some fun together. No need to pay $30 for a dead multiplayer game to suffer. :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2017, 11:53:30 PM »
yes daddy

thisismyusername

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
That video was brutal as fuck.

Continuing to kick Toku and the dog while they're down:

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »
0:47 on that vid. :lol
©@©™

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 03:12:53 PM »
lmao those vids.

Cliffy B has always been a huge goober.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »
Really didn't think it would bomb this bad

thisismyusername

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
Really didn't think it would bomb this bad

On the bright side:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22350/BRINK/

You can play Brink, a 7+ year old title for free now. Cliffy never should've went from F2P back to pay-for after saying it was gonna be F2P.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
man...brink
i'm just too hopeful and optimistic all these years

:'(

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2017, 02:47:43 AM »

What fucking gets me is that Cliffy B has genuinely convinced himself that he's the main reason behind GoW's success. It wasn't the hyper talented team, definitely not Microsoft's pitch-perfect marketing, wasn't even the visually distinct subject matter, definitely not the world class graphics engine, and absolutely couldn't be that people were desperate for brand new shooter IP when the 360 launched. No, Cliffy B thinks it was due to him and his brilliant game design direction of which he was happy to take all the credit for.

This dude's ego is beyond legendary.