Author Topic: LawBreakers (Cliff Bleszinski)  (Read 11637 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: LawBreakers (Cliff Bleszinski)
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »
What fucking gets me is that Cliffy B has genuinely convinced himself that he's the main reason behind GoW's success. It wasn't the hyper talented team, definitely not Microsoft's pitch-perfect marketing, wasn't even the visually distinct subject matter, definitely not the world class graphics engine, and absolutely couldn't be that people were desperate for brand new shooter IP when the 360 launched. No, Cliffy B thinks it was due to him and his brilliant game design direction of which he was happy to take all the credit for.

This dude's ego is beyond legendary.

To be fair: If you believe the intro shit within the manual for the 360 version: The idea of the cover shooter came to him while playing paintball in North Carolina. So, I mean... at the time the genre (cover shooters) wasn't being done, so he did break ground on having numerous clones (like Uncharted) done under his idea.

The problem is: Outside of the Epic team (like you said), what has he done individually?

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
What fucking gets me is that Cliffy B has genuinely convinced himself that he's the main reason behind GoW's success. It wasn't the hyper talented team, definitely not Microsoft's pitch-perfect marketing, wasn't even the visually distinct subject matter, definitely not the world class graphics engine, and absolutely couldn't be that people were desperate for brand new shooter IP when the 360 launched. No, Cliffy B thinks it was due to him and his brilliant game design direction of which he was happy to take all the credit for.

This dude's ego is beyond legendary.

To be fair: If you believe the intro shit within the manual for the 360 version: The idea of the cover shooter came to him while playing paintball in North Carolina. So, I mean... at the time the genre (cover shooters) wasn't being done, so he did break ground on having numerous clones (like Uncharted) done under his idea.

The problem is: Outside of the Epic team (like you said), what has he done individually?

Ideas are cheap and easy. Execution and iteration are the real effort; especially with an incredibly collaborative team that contributed to the design every step of the way. Not to mention the excellent management team that pulled it all together in the last year under Rod Fergusson's leadership.

Fifstar

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2017, 10:10:00 AM »
I remember Cliff Bleszinski had a website dedicated to scanning cats back in the Unreal. Good times: https://web.archive.org/web/20000511112205/http://www.cat-scan.com/Old/entries3.html
Gulp

thisismyusername

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
I remember Cliff Bleszinski had a website dedicated to scanning cats back in the Unreal. Good times: https://web.archive.org/web/20000511112205/http://www.cat-scan.com/Old/entries3.html

Oh man, going through that:

Heya. I'm a 23 year old designer/producer/useful person who works with Epic Games on cool games such as Unreal and the Jazz Jackrabbit series. I was lead level designer/co-designer on Unreal and designer of Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2. I also worked on some really bad Windows adventures a while back, but we're going to ignore that. I NOW live in beautiful Raleigh, North Carolina. Glad to be out of California.

When I was younger I used to play tons of games and I would always wonder what goes on in the heads of the people who make them. So, now that I'm on the other side of the fence, I figured I'd let people peer into my noggin and see what's going on. It isn't always exciting or controversial, but it is me. Take it or leave it!

In case you're curious, in Unreal I did Vortex Rikers, Skaaj Mine of Rrajigar, Depths of Rrajigar, DMCurse, DMHealpod, DKNightOp, DMElsinore, and DMFith. I designed all the levels in the Jazz games except for the 2nd level of the Medieval areas in Jazz2. (Nick Stadler did that one.) And, yes, I knew I'd make you shit purple twinkies when I did that "Skaarj Introduction" in Unreal. Ever since the Cyberdemon made me jump out of my seat in Doom, I had always wanted to scare people in games, and judging from the great reaction, it worked! Expect more in the future.

I frequent irc.unreal.org #unrealed under the nick Cliffyb.

The stucco you see in the background is taken from my previous apartment building.

Oh, and leave my employer alone. They have nothing to do with this website.

Shiiiiiit, he's been in the industry since like... 15? 16? years of age? Epic (when they were Epic Megagames) was doing Dare to Dream in the early 90's weren't they?

Fuck, that's sad. He's like 10-12 years older than me and blowing money I'd kill to have on getting back into the game when he could've retired and stayed in the sunset.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
A lot of games devs are pretty douchey when you get to know them behind the scenes. Cliffy B seems to wear his on his sleeve though.

The Dark Souls line is the perfect example of him. Trying to horn in on the praise of another franchise that also tends to have an insufferable fanbase,

The whole Lawbreakers is so edgy and skilled af hashtag stuff seems so out of step with where the marketplace currently is.

The people who like it seem to really enjoy it though so that's always unfortunate a bit when a game you like is doomed to small or non-existent fanbase. I've have my share of games that I like that end up with that fate.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »
support what you love and want to see in the world

bless up

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »
The Dark Souls line is the perfect example of him.
He likes to ham it up in cringey ways, it seems. All I can think of when I hear his name now is the one time he made a butt-plug simile on the Giant Bomb E3 couch. If I remember it right, that landed like a bag of cement. Not even Ryan had anything to respond.

It's this one, apparently, but I'm too lazy to find a timestamp:
https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bombcast-e3-2013-day-two/1600-513/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:14:50 AM by Rufus »

thisismyusername

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »
All I can think of when I hear his name now is the one time he made a butt-plug simile on the Giant Bomb E3 couch.

:leon

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2017, 09:49:13 AM »

This was the first time I learned about Cliffy B.   :rofl

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2017, 10:11:52 AM »
All I can think of when I hear his name now is the one time he made a butt-plug simile on the Giant Bomb E3 couch.

The picture he was painting was of an executive (?) at some kind of debauchery, whispering "perfection" as it slides into some prostitute's asshole. Goddamn it, you're gonna make me scrub through this shit to find it.

Hold on...

Found it. 29:50

Turns out he's relating a joke. The above is just my memory making shit up. The human mind is a wondrous thing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:15:24 AM by Rufus »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »

:dayum

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2017, 05:20:55 AM »
I got no beef with Cliffy, nothing but good memories of the fella

sarslip

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »
   :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:dayum

This is a game that came out just over a month ago and had nearly half a million people playing the beta.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
bless up

thisismyusername

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:24 AM »
Seems they threw Cliffy under the bus with the Steam discription:

"In Boss Key Productions’ LawBreakers, players can shoot, ski, grapple, fly, slide, kick, slice, pulverize, blind-fire, wall-jump and more in this competitive, gravity-defying multiplayer FPS that’s fun to pick up and a thrill to master."

Was:

"Bring your skills and get ready to deliver death from every angle as you compete in unprecedented gravity-defying combat in LawBreakers, the new first-person shooter from legendary game designer Cliff Bleszinski and team. LawBreakers challenges even the best players to get off the ground, and master new ways to play in fast-paced, omni-directional multiplayer FPS combat unlike anything you’ve experienced before."

Or there-abouts. I sadly didn't capture the launch one.

Anyway: http://steamcommunity.com/games/350280/announcements/detail/1495616499743085668

Does anyone even care it's having a free weekend when CoD: Back to WW2 is having their beta then? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :neogaf Oh, Cliffy. You are the spitting image of Randy from Gearbox. :doge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »

I only ran into him once, at a GDC afterparty. He had an exquisitely coifed woman on his arm, and no-one else had brought show-model dates. Other than that, he seemed OK.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2017, 03:13:53 AM »

I only ran into him once, at a GDC afterparty. He had an exquisitely coifed woman on his arm, and no-one else had brought show-model dates. Other than that, he seemed OK.

Back in 2001 I was shopping for hardware for my company in Akihabara, and saw a guy wearing gold chains and an Unreal Tournament leather jacket. I was like "Hi Cliffy B!" and he's like "HOW DID YOU KNOW IT WAS ME?"

I wound up taking him back to my company and they were like "OH SHIT SHO NUFF-SAN, YOU FOUND A CLIFFY B" and we wound up going out for drinks and getting hammered, it was the fuckin best day

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2017, 04:03:52 AM »

Back in 2001 I was shopping for hardware for my company in Akihabara, and saw a guy wearing gold chains and an Unreal Tournament leather jacket. I was like "Hi Cliffy B!" and he's like "HOW DID YOU KNOW IT WAS ME?"

I wound up taking him back to my company and they were like "OH SHIT SHO NUFF-SAN, YOU FOUND A CLIFFY B" and we wound up going out for drinks and getting hammered, it was the fuckin best day

Sho Nuff used ALCOHOL. It's SUPER-EFFECTIVE.

thisismyusername

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2017, 06:03:48 AM »

People in Japan besides Kojima actually know Cliffy? That's funny to me, I figured he would be rather unknown, given Japan isn't huge on shooters.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2017, 10:07:59 AM »
cliffy seems alright to me
lawbreakers is a solid game

bless up

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2017, 10:56:32 AM »
Looking forward to the free weekend, and then all the other free weekends when it goes ftp

thisismyusername

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
Looking forward to the free weekend, and then all the other free weekends when it goes ftp

I really want to see the Steamcharts once this free weekend starts and then is over. Should be amazing on the player bump (if any).

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2017, 01:03:42 PM »
bless up

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »

You should refund if you have the chance, Toku. :doge

Seemed kinda funny at first, even if it's beating a dead horse. Then it goes into his girlfriend dumping him, which is shitty. Then it goes into full on trans phobia and I turned it off.

The video gives a lot of time to the disinvited youtuber before it starts making fun of unisex bathrooms. I wonder what he actually said for Boss Key to tell him that they don't want to be associated with someone who doesn't respect diversity.

thisismyusername

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »
Seemed kinda funny at first, even if it's beating a dead horse. Then it goes into his girlfriend dumping him, which is shitty. Then it goes into full on trans phobia and I turned it off.

The video gives a lot of time to the disinvited youtuber before it starts making fun of unisex bathrooms. I wonder what he actually said for Boss Key to tell him that they don't want to be associated with someone who doesn't respect diversity.

It's mean spirited but that's kinda the point. I think Crowb's (in the second youtube) is a bit more reasonable.

I forget what the Youtuber did. I wish I had the Twitters when that blew up, but I don't because it really was minor.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2017, 07:22:53 PM »
I'm not impressed with people who are involved in takedown culture. Jokey criticism is inherently disingenuous, because the authors want the ability to back out with a "j/k!"  Fuck that. Create something original or create through honest criticism, but at least stand behind one's words.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
I'm not impressed with people who are involved in takedown culture. Jokey criticism is inherently disingenuous, because the authors want the ability to back out with a "j/k!"  Fuck that. Create something original or create through honest criticism, but at least stand behind one's words.

Also, if you're gonna do it, at least be mean spirited to people for shitty things they do. Not for being empathetic to trans rights issues.

thisismyusername

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:07 PM »
playing 35 min ago

24-hour peak

all-time peak

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

CoD beta absolutely demolished this having any sort of momentum. Them not pre-loading, buried it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »

:neogaf
ど助平

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
laugh at misery brehs

bless up

Coax

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
Where did LawBreakers go wrong? What was so wrong with it?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »
Where did LawBreakers go wrong? What was so wrong with it?

Too average in too crowded a market, I guess.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2018, 03:53:27 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-03-publisher-blames-pubg-for-lawbreakers-flopping

Nexxon trying to save face by blaming PUBG (which had been out for months earlier) for Lawbreakers bombing. Just say what you want to say, Nexxon: Lawbreakers was shit.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »
God of Twisted Lawbreakers of War
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2018, 11:48:29 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2018, 10:40:45 AM »
CliffyB and David Jaffe should get together for the next big game nobody wants to play.
ど助平

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »
CliffyB and David Jaffe should get together for the next big game nobody wants to play.

And Randy Pitchford

thisismyusername

« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »

And Randy Pitchford

At least Randy's game (Stillborn) has more players than Cliffy's.  :doge

bluemax

« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2018, 05:11:01 PM »
How many people are playing Drawn Like a teenage Beavis and Butthead fan or whatever it was called.
NO

thisismyusername

« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2018, 06:49:37 PM »
How many people are playing Drawn Like a teenage Beavis and Butthead fan or whatever it was called.

Can't tell you as that isn't on Steam. :doge

bluemax

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
Fair. It seems almost like Bartlet Jones has moved on to developing something new, I wonder if they are still patching/updating that game.

"The game was a runner-up for the "Worst Game (That We Played)" award at Giant Bomb's Game of the Year 2017 Awards"

Brutal.
NO

kingv

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
I would probably have played lawbreakers eventually... but looks like I probably could never get into a game bow

paprikastaude

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2018, 01:04:01 PM »

They are edgelords but at least value gameplay somewhat  :yeshrug  Early God of War was cool to play with little interruption of its dumb narrative, now others immediately turned it ino a Last of Us clone...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:48:34 PM by Spieler1 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »

I was interested in this pre-release.  Looked like a cool concept with a unique look.  Then I tried it and found it to play like something out of the 90s -in a bad way- with clunky game play and a very limited number of players per match.   :-\  At least this was free to play.
ど助平

bluemax

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2018, 12:58:43 AM »

I was interested in this pre-release.  Looked like a cool concept with a unique look.  Then I tried it and found it to play like something out of the 90s -in a bad way- with clunky game play and a very limited number of players per match.   :-\  At least this was free to play.

I think it was only F2P initially or with PS+ or something. I checked the GameFaqs board, not the best judge of anything, and it was a ghost town. No posts for months and many of the last posts talked about how long it took to find a game.
NO

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2018, 01:33:29 AM »
Drawn to Death is listed as $20 on the PSN store. Looks like they released a patch a week after release and then never touched it again.
No posts for months and many of the last posts talked about how long it took to find a game.
I seem to remember Twisted Metal having this same problem to the extent that to show the problem, much of Giant Bomb's quick look was dedicated to showing how unable to find a game you are despite it saying there were plenty of players online.

thisismyusername

« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2018, 12:51:59 AM »
http://bosskey.com/news/uncategorized/april-2018-studio-statement/

LawBreakers Community,

It has been a while since we said anything about LawBreakers. With that, the past four months at Boss Key Productions has been especially trying, as we pride ourselves at being communicative and transparent.

So here is the very real truth, which may not come as a surprise.

The fact is LawBreakers failed to find enough of an audience to generate the funds necessary to keep it sustained in the manner we had originally planned for and anticipated.  And while a pivot to free-to-play may seem like easiest change to make, a change of this magnitude takes publishing planning and resources to do it.

The team here has worked hard on this game over the past three and a half years and our studio is determined to give this game the second life it deserves. However, between now and then, we cannot sit idle. We will continue to support the game in its current state, but we also need to focus on other projects with fresh creative leaders. We have been working on something new and we can’t wait to share more about it! It’s a passion project that we’re in complete control of.

Thank you for your ongoing understanding and patience.

Boss Key Productions

:violin Million Dollar IP™ :violin
:violin Dark Souls of Shooters™ :violin
:violin legendary game designer Cliff Bleszinski :violin
:violin Toku's $30 :violin

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2018, 02:01:45 AM »
I got like 80 hours out of it. I regret nothing. Bless up.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2018, 02:34:12 AM »
i only got like 30

feels bad man  :'(

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2018, 07:01:50 AM »
They cant make it F2P? I want to play it but Im not gonna pay shit for it
What

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »

because every hand reworking this game into a F2P champion shooter is a hand not working on tearing out whatever they can salvage to make a battle royale game.

though knowing their luck by the time it comes out someone will be dominating the twitch and steam zeitgeist with a crazy new take on the hearts of iron formula and they'll have to pivot to that.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »
They should have made this a third-person shooter.  Would have at least helped to stand out somewhat against Overwatch and the like.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2018, 10:53:03 AM »
They should have made this a third-person shooter.  Would have at least helped to stand out somewhat against Overwatch and the like.

Paladins has a mode for that (or you can switch to it), and Paladins took the Overwatch for Free market, so... :yeshrug

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »

Might check out Paladins now.
ど助平

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2018, 11:50:55 AM »
I honestly don't like it when a project fails but you can't just fund every damn thing and expect people to buy things just cause someone made it.

kingv

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2018, 01:00:21 PM »

Feel the same. I’m curious about the game, because my favorite shooters are usually the ones that scratch that 90s shooter Quakeworld itch, but I’m not going to pay $30 for a game with 13 concurrent users at peak.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »
Anyone ever try Toxikk?  That's a Quake/UT style game that's F2P on Steam IIRC.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »
Anyone ever try Toxikk?  That's a Quake/UT style game that's F2P on Steam IIRC.

No? I think that's another one that tried to get into the Arena shooter market.