Author Topic: No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition  (Read 34376 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: No Man's Sky is actually coming out
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »
Game sounds unfinished. I'll get it when it's more substantial patching.  Classic over promising and underdelivering.  Sean Murray sounds like Molyneux discipile.

I don't think its unfinished. I just think it is what it is. It's like single player Minecraft in space. Which might be appealing to some but is less appealing to others.

Personally I would prefer a new Starflight versus what No Man's sky offers but whatever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

Oh, man. Thanks for reminding me about this, Stoney! I was trying to remember of which game NMS remind me, and this was it. My main memory of it is becoming bored during the lengthy landing sequences, but I still enjoyed it at the time.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Re: No Man's Sky: Peter Molyneux Edition
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:26 PM »
People should just play Subnautica instead.

looking at a video of this reminded me i just want gog to put out subculture  :(
Didn't know this existed. Sounds neat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_Culture

It's on the community wishlist already. Finger's crossed. :doge
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/sub_culture

u can use vm to play it, but it's still a lil fucked up in places. and using a vm is too annoying tbh trying to live the hassle free life i dont need this 

Bebpo

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2016, 09:46:58 PM »
I think I'm gonna pay up and get this after all.  The screens I've seen from friends looks fucking fun.  Like the opposite of Destiny, tons of areas to explore, but simple combat.

Will wait and pick it up on PC though for 60fps.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
Got it (along with a PS4), played for ~3h in one sitting, loving it. Come at me.

People should just play Subnautica instead.

This is a lot more fun and exciting than Subnautica though.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »
Why are people comparing this to Destiny? Because they're both in space?
fat

Raist

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »
Why are people comparing this to Destiny? Because they're both in space?

And apparently the UI's font is similar or something. Like, Destiny invented sci-fi looking fonts. Haven't played Destiny though, so I can't be sure to which level it's similar (as in just the fonts or more than that). Complete non-issue anyway.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
to interact with stuff you hold a button while a circle fills around the prompt - just like destiny!
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »
The UI looks similar and functions somewhat similarly, i.e. when you move the cursor, the menus move towards it to meet it. Smart choice, really.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »

Ya'll lost, but I feel it. Anything for an agenda
fat

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2016, 12:13:13 PM »
You realize that the comparisons to Destiny aren't trying to paint Destiny in a negative light, rather that No Man's Sky is a game made by really competent hacks, right?

If you can't see that menu UI in No Man's Sky is almost a 1:1 with Destiny's, you might be a spaceneck. Shit, Eurogamer already did the comparisons.

OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2016, 12:17:54 PM »
Apparently its enough for Bebpo ROFL
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2016, 02:00:33 PM »
It's similar to Destiny in that they're both repetitive sci-fi grind loop games.  In Destiny you repeat the same things over and over on the same planets with good combat and in NMS you repeat the same things over and over on a million varied planets with shitty combat.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »

:dead

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

Once again the only review that matters

:bow Dunkey :bow2
yar

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2016, 07:31:50 PM »
I remember looking at Destiny screenshots and thinking "this has a really cool sci-fi aesthetic, if only it weren't saddled with being part of the shitty FPS genre". From that POV this looks interesting/appealing.
QED

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »
It's similar to Destiny in that they're both repetitive sci-fi grind loop games.  In Destiny you repeat the same things over and over on the same planets with good combat and in NMS you repeat the same things over and over on a million varied planets with shitty combat.

Sounds...uh...great...?

Why do you want this game again?  ???
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2016, 10:35:21 AM »
dunkview

'Will the game be fun?'
'Uhhh... no'
:rofl
Hi

Stoney Mason

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2016, 04:15:36 PM »
Demoed it out on PC just to give it a try.

No way. I'm not saying other people can't like it because I certainly like lots of other games that I'm generally alone with but I played for like an hour and half and its exactly what I feared. It's incredibly boring and tedious. And its no where near as fun as games like Terraria and such. It's missing that element completely imo.

The scale and scope of the game is meaningless. I'd rather have just one planet that was incredibly detailed and constructed versus a paper thin size universe if its going to play like this.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2016, 04:36:38 PM »
I'm still enjoying my time but a lot of that is just tickling my lizard brain via buying bigger, more expensive ships and finding better multitools.  Once I get the best stuff, I can see the game running out of gas. There is undeniably something special about the freedom of just taking off and going wherever you want, I just wish there was more of a goal beyond just getting a bigger inventory and increasing your stats.   Hopefully in the future a bigger dev takes some of these ideas and build a strong main quest and handcrafted worlds on top, it could be something special. 

Before release I jokingly said the game would get a 65 on metacritic, I wasn't that far off.  :doge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2016, 06:19:11 PM »

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2016, 10:41:23 PM »
I like it. It's exactly what I expected and it's cool.

bluemax

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2016, 11:50:03 PM »

Watching this it made think, No Man's Sky is like if you took all the sidequest planets from the first Mass Effect and made a game out of them.
NO

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2016, 12:08:21 AM »

God, Mass Effect 1's side-quests were bloody awful.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2016, 02:09:15 AM »
As much as I've made fun of this game, I'll buy it for $5 in a Steam sale.
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2016, 02:24:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm not buying this game now  :-X

pilonv1

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2016, 02:30:11 AM »
I enjoyed the Mass Effect side missions in an OCD way, so there is some appeal there for me
itm

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2016, 02:35:58 AM »
I enjoyed the Mass Effect side missions in an OCD way, so there is some appeal there for me
I did too, but I like to tell myself that I wouldn't have done them all if they weren't part of a bigger, more interesting game.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2016, 05:18:19 AM »
I've really enjoyed the schadenfreude around this but tbh I was hoping the 'its spore 2' crowd would be wrong and it wouldn't be trash. Even 20$ seems exorbitant from what I've seen at this point though. Oh well.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2016, 05:22:42 AM »
Props to hello games/Sean Murray for simultaneously getting neogaf, Reddit and 4chan to simultaneously meltdown tho. Rarely can one promise so little and yet trigger so many

Bebpo

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2016, 11:48:50 AM »
Even if the game sorta undelivers, it's still fucking crazy that a small team went from making an budget-size excitebike/trials clone to making a 3d first person game the size of an entire universe.  It's like so completely random developer progression.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2016, 01:19:55 PM »
yeah i don't want this shit now even for $5
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »
Even if the game sorta undelivers, it's still fucking crazy that a small team went from making an budget-size excitebike/trials clone to making a 3d first person game the size of an entire universe.  It's like so completely random developer progression.

pretty sure it was the millions of dollars and extra assistance from Sony

speaking of sony can they please fuck off with these shallow "experience" games? i still have nightmares about Proteus
pcp

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2016, 12:39:28 PM »

pretty sure it was the millions of dollars and extra assistance from Sony

speaking of sony can they please fuck off with these shallow "experience" games? i still have nightmares about Proteus
yeah, that's cool, as long as they've still got Quantic Dream in their pocket...

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »
Hi

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2016, 07:23:39 PM »
Dick aliens.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2016, 12:04:50 AM »
I literally snorted out of my nose at that. So savage and yet so true in just about every regard.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2016, 01:08:50 AM »
Gone. What was it?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2016, 01:29:09 AM »
Gone. What was it?
It was an "expectation vs. reality" video of NMS' promotional material, transitioning suddenly to a procedurally generated, dorky dinosaur mincing on its rear legs while the Jurassic Park theme is played on kazoo.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2016, 01:39:41 AM »
Gone. What was it?
It was an "expectation vs. reality" video of NMS' promotional material, transitioning suddenly to a procedurally generated, dorky dinosaur mincing on its rear legs while the Jurassic Park theme is played on kazoo.

pilonv1

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2016, 03:58:39 AM »
In tears at the harmonica music
itm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07:08 AM »
Laugh if you want, but Arvie's improving.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2016, 12:26:07 PM »
You are a true friend Joe. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
Someone went through a lot of effort compiling all the things that were hinted at but are now missing in the release. It's a big list.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

You sometimes hear how devs would love to tell people all about the awesome stuff they're doing. This is a good lesson on why they don't get to.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »
Someone went through a lot of effort compiling all the things that were hinted at but are now missing in the release. It's a big list.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

You sometimes hear how devs would love to tell people all about the awesome stuff they're doing. This is a good lesson on why they don't get to.

I can't wait for the Star Citizen postmortem.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
The thing is its not so much what they promised and didn't deliver. It's more what they delivered is so simplistic on the gameplay side that it just leaves you wanting.

I think ultimately there are a couple of directions they could have went that would have been better.

A.) A multiplayer affair ala Minecraft. Even if you delivered the exact same game as they did, it would be still kinda disappointing but at least you would be rolling with friends while doing it which inherently makes anything better. If you redesigned the systems with multiplayer in mind from the get go, you could have really come up with something cool.

B.) Focus it more on the story. There is a game called Crashlands that I really like that is basically you crash landing on a planet and having to craft and survive and such. But you are always goal oriented because its like an rpg with a story. A more focused this is why you are doing this would have helped compared to the skeletal atlas "story" in the game they shipped.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/391730/

C.) Go hardcore and make it really a survival game. Where survival is really tough. Almost like a dark souls rougue like where surviving and playing is really harsh and difficult and you design the game around those aspects. So advancing is a testament to your skill rather than just how much you are willing to grind harvesting resources.

I think all of those approaches would have been better than what they were necessarily going for. There is just is not enough game in that videogame No Man Sky currently.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 04:30:12 PM by Stoney Mason »

Raist

« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »
Yeah, the game took a MASSIVE hit in terms of graphics and animations. Which is weird considering it was demo'd countless times live in that state.

having a blast with it, still.

[

I can't wait for the Star Citizen postmortem.

Interstellar travel will be a common thing before that happens though.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2016, 06:58:18 PM »
Yeah, the game took a MASSIVE hit in terms of graphics and animations. Which is weird considering it was demo'd countless times live in that state.

It's going to be interesting when some brave soul lets people know what those demos really were.
vin

Let's Cyber

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »

Yeah, not a good look. Each of these little things missing add up to greatly effect the game overall.  For example, I forgot about factions being a thing.  The 3 different species in game are basically the same other than design and lore, there aren't any interesting dynamics between the 3 and no way to choose sides.

I don't buy that there is a mythical, super-awesome version of the game from just 4 months ago and we just got the stripped down babby version for retail.  Some of those complex systems you can't just cut out and dupe.  The way planets and stars behave had to be more permanent than that.  A few months from release you don't just go "Oh yeah, all those physics and stuff?  Planets rotating around the sun?  Let's just cut that out". 

Sounds more like Sean had a lot of ideas which they either couldn't get working or never had the chance to implement.  Having a PR buffer between the creative/artistic types and the public is usually the standard at big studios for a reason.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:38:02 AM by HackFraudDoctorScientist »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2016, 11:59:53 PM »
This is coming to Steam Early Access in a few weeks:

dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2016, 12:08:24 AM »
All I see there is space combat, which is great... but: Can you land the ship somewhere after those combat scenarios? Or is that just it? Because if that's just it, that's still more a game than NMS... but I'm wanting to see an Early Access space-sim beat NMS in gameplay AND beat Star Citizen in release.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2016, 12:35:54 AM »
All I see there is space combat, which is great... but: Can you land the ship somewhere after those combat scenarios? Or is that just it?
This is where I'm at.  Elite and Star Citizen do nothing for me, just the space stuff isn't interesting by itself.   Even dogfights in space are just kind of meh imo.  The space flight stuff needs to be a piece of the pie I want in my overall space adventure package. 

NMS ended up being like 1/4 of a complete game.  I hope a bigger studio takes some of these concepts concerning space AND planetary exploration and does a better job realizing the potential. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:46:50 AM by HackFraudDoctorScientist »

bluemax

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2016, 01:00:07 AM »

It's going to be interesting when some brave soul lets people know what those demos really were.

The dataminers already found out that they were completely scripted experiences.
NO

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2016, 01:09:44 AM »
:lol

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2016, 09:32:28 AM »

The dataminers already found out that they were completely scripted experiences.

So instead of making a real game they were making scripted demos

/d(thr)ead

Raist

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »

So instead of making a real game they were making scripted demos

/d(thr)ead

Not sure what he means by "scripted". But I'm fairly certain they mentioned countless times that they at the very least picked planets in particular for short stage demos etc. I mean, obviously showing a barren planet with nothing but some mining resources was likely not an option.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2016, 07:47:09 PM »

The whole NMS thing condensed in a video.

- EMOTIONS
- OK... But what do you do ?
- Nothing more or less than in life, for aren't we all lone travellers in this Godless world ? At least Sean implied it. He opened my eyes."  :aah
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »
In a nutshell: People fell in love with Sean Murray, not No Man's Sky.
dog