Author Topic: Making a Dragon Quest thread and no one can stop me. (Dragonphile Support Group)  (Read 18402 times)

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
How the fuck do they not have cross save on a game like this

Or any game

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Apparently it's due the save file size.  The game size is small...the save size is 2GB.

:dead
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
lazy devs
©@©™

a slime appears

• retro king
Apparently it's due the save file size.  The game size is small...the save size is 2GB.

:dead

Seems like a Vita only issue. The PS4 save file is only 34mb for me. ???

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
i assume file gets larger the further you go in the game
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, it must get larger-- the PSN store says the PS4 version's save file needs 2GB minimum of free space.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
Builders is awesome but my Cantlin is a ghetto :(

Bebpo

I'm not really playing dq7 right now because I'm concurrently playing three 50-80 hour jrpgs with Persona 5, Tokyo Xanadu, and Tales of Berseria, so I really don't need a fourth.  But I was at a thing where I had time to kill with my 3DS so I played the first story/dungeon island!

It was...a really nice short story!  I totally forgot that when DQ is good it tells simple but cool non-generic stories.  The twist & ending was nice. 

Now I'll shelve it again for a few months until I've got rpg time, but definitely gonna come back to this and probably play it through. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I'm concurrently playing three 50-80 hour jrpgs with Persona 5, Tokyo Xanadu, and Tales of Berseria

:dizzy
ど助平

archnemesis

I can't keep up with more than one RPG at a time. Now that I'm close to 40 hours into DQ7 I'm going to try to stick with it before I pick up anything new.

Bebpo

Yeah, I know.  I usually try to stick to 1 rpg at a time because otherwise I never get to anything else for months.  Unfortunately Japan decided to release all their big jrpgs within 2 weeks of each other (and if FFXV hadn't been delayed, there would've been 4 jrpgs back to back released), so I ended up in this position  :larry  I'm like 25 hours into each right now, so my goal is to try to finish them all by the end of November so I can be rpg-clear before going into FFXV and then just be back to playing 1 rpg at a time. 

Although to be honest this whole "attack my rpg backlog of 30-50 j/w/srpgs by trying to get through 12 rpgs a year, 1/month" thing has only been a partial success.  I mean I played a lot of good rpgs this year and if I finish TX, Berseria, P5 and FFXV I'll be exactly at 12 cleared since I'm at 8 cleared right now.  But the downside is getting through one 50-60 hour rpg a month while also working and having a social life means I'm hardly playing anything else in 2016.  I think my 2017 rpg goal will be 6 rpgs per year, 3 new releases, 3 backlog.

archie4208

I played DQ7 and SMT4A back to back.  :derp

I don't want to touch a RPG for a long fucking time after I finish 4A.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I can only really do one console, one portable RPG at a time... multiple at the same time makes me forget all the weird-ass town names and characters and plot points even more than I already do :P
^_^

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
I always thought Dragon Quest/Warrior 1 was really nicely designed in terms of how its quest and world were structured.
QED

AdmiralViscen

DQB is good

bluemax

DQB is good

Yup, almost done with chapter 1 and totally loving it. I need an orange flower and I can't remember where they are :( The game could use a few minor UI improvements (but what DQ game couldn't?) but the overall package is quite good.
NO

archnemesis

I only played an hour of it yesterday, but Builders is indeed quite good.

AdmiralViscen

DQB is good

Yup, almost done with chapter 1 and totally loving it. I need an orange flower and I can't remember where they are :( The game could use a few minor UI improvements (but what DQ game couldn't?) but the overall package is quite good.

I think I got one near the person who teaches you about the hammer. I threw it on the ground though since I didn't have the magic box yet

Bebpo

Over the weekend, any time I'd turn on my PS4, my entire friendlist was just a giant WALL of DQB.  I can't remember the last game that had so many people all playing it.  GTAV?  I wonder if DQB is gonna do alright in sales.

bluemax

The demo provided just the right amount of content to help people decide if they were in for it or not. I was on the fence and the demo pushed me over.

I also had a few people on my friends list ask me to stream it so they could see and then when I told them there was a demo they pretty much all went and tried it out.
NO

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Over the weekend, any time I'd turn on my PS4, my entire friendlist was just a giant WALL of DQB.  I can't remember the last game that had so many people all playing it.  GTAV?  I wonder if DQB is gonna do alright in sales.

Not my friends list.  Just 1-2 people playing.  The last time I can remember a shit-ton of people all playing the same game was when Overwatch came out.  Before that it was Destiny.
ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
Yeah, I'm the only one playing this game on my friend's list.

I'm putting in the good word though. Most people want Minecraft but with actual gameplay which this game nails pretty well.

AdmiralViscen

This game is real fuckin good

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
About 40 hours into DQ7. Just got the flying carpet. Seems to be going WAY faster than the PS1 iteration.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I made it to Rimuldar in DQB. They nailed the nostalgia aspect in the game... some fussy camera issues and an (imo) too short weapon length are my only issues with the game so far.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I made it to Rimuldar in DQB. They nailed the nostalgia aspect in the game... some fussy camera issues and an (imo) too short weapon length are my only issues with the game so far.

What system you playing on?
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

PS4... are there issues with the Vita ver?
^_^

Akala

• Easy Victor
Got smoked in chapter 3 fight, feels like I am missing something. Just before first portal...loving the game so far.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

PS4... are there issues with the Vita ver?

n/m I was reading on my phone and thought you said DQ8 :lol
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Still plugging away at DQ7, I think there's a fairly good chance I'll finish the main islands between 50 to 55 hours. That's almost 30 hours faster than I did it on the PS1
que

a slime appears

• retro king
Dragon Quest VIII coming out January, 20th 2017.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
played thru the Android version just last year but i will definitely be buying this anyways. dq never gets old.
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
I don't get the hate DQVIII gets. It's fuckin lovely.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
they're pallandos, dq8 gets you mad pussy

and it has daddy yangus
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

What hate?  I thought people loved that one?  ???
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
DQ8 is the only DQ game I've ever played and I really like it. I need to finish it tho
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

A few people complain how the battles are a bit slower than the rest of the series. Screw 'em I say, DQ8 is fucking amazing and easily my favorite ps2 game.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Whip girls :lawd
©@©™

eleuin

• perennial loser
I appreciated the ability to go into first person view  :doge

a slime appears

• retro king
DQ8 is one of the best DQ. Haters be distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 09:28:59 PM by a slime appears »

Bebpo

It was a cool game for the time and the sense of scale was pretty groundbreaking for console gaming, especially jrpgs and Japan.
that being said, it's the one DQ game I would never want to replay.  It's very long, slow and not all that interesting.

a slime appears

• retro king
DQ7 3DS destroys the original PS1 game; completely changed my opinion on it. Went from being my least favorite in the series to a mid/good-tier entry in the franchise.

Excited for DQ8 for 3DS. While the iOS port has been great for the past couple of years, I just can't get into a huge time sink like that on my phone.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Finished the main islands in Dq7. took me a little longer than projected (63 hours) But even so that's still almost 20 hours faster than the same spot I got to in the PS1 version. Now off to the final dungeon set. I suspect this will probably take me another 5ish hours.

que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
I'm finishing up the desert level and I'm at 30 hours rn. i like like to talk to all the townspeople after every story event.
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
really having gotten this far, I am struck by how obtuse the game is, easily the most obtuse DQ entry. They really did a great job in making it easier. There was/still is a bunch of stuff of "How as I to remember that?! I looked around forever for the floating shrines because how was I to remember it was next to a city that I visited like 30 hours ago? I don't know how I ever got this far in the original version honestly. (that's probably why I was able to shave 20 hours off my play time)
que

archnemesis

It took me 76 hours to reach the end. Overall I thought it was average. The final boss was pretty tough, especially since I ran out of MP halfway through the battle and I had no items equipped.

bluemax

Got to the boss of chapter 2 in builders and got destroyed, haven't touched it since :(

Anyone got tips for him?
NO

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Got to the boss of chapter 2 in builders and got destroyed, haven't touched it since :(

Anyone got tips for him?

Heh, I JUST beat that boss, what a fucking annoying ass fight that was.

Anyways, I just kinda brute forced it, with a lot of herbs and some Falcon Swords, but... before starting the battle, build a tower-like structure in the middle of your town, and put Ballistas that face the direction of the largest platform, since after his attacks he will stop and rest. Hang out on the tower structure, make sure to avoid the lightning sparks (you can see where they will appear) and fire. I have not found a way to avoid the tornado, it doesn't do any damage just sends you flying to another part of the town. When reinforcements arrive, brute force them with your Falcon Swords.

If you've done all the puzzles (one of the optional challenges), you get an item that blocks status effects. This is of course very helpful.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Playing Dragon Quest Heroes (the musou) - game is lit
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Now at the final dungeon in VII. Trying to decide whether I take my party in with their current jobs I'm leveling up so I don't waste fights. Or if I just go in full bear with the jobs I've mastered and blast through the end.
que

archnemesis

Now at the final dungeon in VII. Trying to decide whether I take my party in with their current jobs I'm leveling up so I don't waste fights. Or if I just go in full bear with the jobs I've mastered and blast through the end.
Be careful. You can't use Evac once you've reached the final boss. If you want to collect all the treasures, then you have to teleport out of the dungeon and go back before the branching point.

I beat the game with a party of Hero (Max), Champion (Max), Champion (lvl 5), Druid (lvl 5). Grinding those last job levels would have been a pain.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
So I finished it at 85 hours. I spent a lot of time leveling jobs and even with that it's only 5 hours more than what I spent on the PS1 version to just get to the point where I completed the main islands. I think it would be about 20-25 hours faster than the PS1 version at least.
que

archie4208

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Looks stunning!!!
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
No battles, meh
fat

Rahxephon91

Actually looks like a DQ game I'd be interested in. Hopefully the battles aren't in first person and the English version has voice acting.

Himu

TAKE ME NOW, JESUS
IYKYK

Himu

how come Kamyu is shown in the party but he's not running alongside the hero? Is it like DQVIII where the party members don't follow you around? That'd suck if true.
IYKYK

bluemax

That 3DS version looks too good to be real. I'm all over both versions day one. I really think the PS4 version will get a lot of the people who liked 8 and none of the other games.
NO

a slime appears

• retro king
3DS looked pretty standard. There are better looking games on that system.

I'm hoping Switch is day and date with PS4 and measure up graphically.