Author Topic: Making a Dragon Quest thread and no one can stop me. (Dragonphile Support Group)  (Read 18404 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Dragon Quest iOS sales

DQ1 $2
DQ2 $3
DQ3 $7
DQ4 $10
DQ5 $10
DQ6 $10
DQ8 $15
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
BUY THEM ALL

the ios versions of 4-6 are the best versions available.
pcp

archnemesis

I prefer the NDS versions, but that price is hard to beat.

Bebpo

Is DQ7 supposed to be grindy at times?  I was out and played a bit the other day (I play like 1 story arc every month or so when I'm out waiting for a while for something).  I got to the dungeon of the fire worshipping people early on (2nd island - past) where as you go down the dungeon people throw their fire hats in the volcano.  It was a long dungeon with fights every 2 feet because it would keep spawning enemies right in your face in a narrow hallway.  Anyhow I got to the bottom then up, then jumped down the center and got to the big face boss, but at that point I had 0 MP left on any of the 3 and no healing items so was totally fucked.  Since I don't see any way to shortcut to the boss, I'm thinking I just need to buy a bunch of HP heal herbs and grind a little to get stronger + all the best equip and then try to go through the whole dungeon and all the mobs without using any of my MP to heal (or attack) so that when I get to the boss I'm at 100% and can do the fight.

Unless I'm missing something?

bluemax

On the 3DS version? I don't think it is grindy at all, the difficulty dropped pretty drastically for most of the game.

On the PS1 version? That was probably one of the first difficulty spikes.
NO

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
3ds version is pretty easy. I'm like a third of the way thru and no grinding at all. just get better at dodging enemies
pcp

Bebpo

No, I'm just talking about that spot.  Am I missing something?  There's about 10-20 forced encounters on the way down to the boss and at lvl.9 MP is really limited like 20/30mp total for healing/attack magic. 

On the 3DS version? I don't think it is grindy at all, the difficulty dropped pretty drastically for most of the game.

On the PS1 version? That was probably one of the first difficulty spikes.

hmmm

3ds version is pretty easy. I'm like a third of the way thru and no grinding at all. just get better at dodging enemies

You cannot dodge enemies in the volcano.  It's literally a 1 person path 90% of the time and it spawns enemy after enemy.  I guess I could try running in all the battles.

Bebpo

Ok, figured it out.  First time through I missed the recovery spot on 2 floors above the volcano guy and since it was a long dungeon with a lot of fights I was out of MP and couldn't heal.  Didn't even need the recovery spot on my 2nd run since I just didn't use any magic on the normal enemies and got to the boss with full MP anyhow. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Playing through DQVIII, really awesome. I love how much more user friendly/modern the game feels especially after DQVII which, while fun, was almost aggressively time wasting (I mean they named one of the towns Nottagain). I love the streamlined everything and I realize that I missed having a present antagonist through out the game, though I miss the episodic nature of DQVII. Only just finished Maella Abbey but really loving this (just wish the graphics were clearer, would have loved to see an HD remake on the PS4 instead, but this is good too)
que

Lucretius

DQVIII is up there with FFXII as a game that truly deserves an HD remaster. Regardless of what you think of the gameplay merits of both games, neither game could fully shine graphically on PS2. DQVIII looks like a dream when emulated in 1080p.
lip

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Do you want to fuck Yangus yet?
fat

Having fun with Dragon Quest Builders, but damn, my daughter loves this game. She liked World of Final Fantasy and the battle system, so I wonder how she'd handle a regular DQ game.
野球

Fifstar

I've been playing DQ VII for the last two months. Just finished the part in the Desert with the statue. The first islands after you unlock the jobs.
I was close to just stop playing the game, because the first 20 hours were kinda boring and dragged out for no reason.
In a way, the game is really handholding. It's talk to person x to trigger event y - the game. Or talk to a whole village to trigger the next event, which is worse.
Of course lots of jrpgs are like these but dq7 really pushes that structure into your face instead of cleverly hiding it. It repeats island after island.
Doesn't help that in the beginning dungeons are so short, enemies are easy and you have barely any interesting abilities. So both fighting and the general structure are repetitive and boring.

Thankfully the game feels much better after getting the classes. Finally you have abilites to choose in battle, a sense of progression f.
The dungeon and boss in the desert also felt much more satisfying than the stuff before.
Still, while the game has the typical DQ charm and the vignettes are nice, I would have a hard time recommending the game because the first 20 hours of the game are a drag.
Gulp

archnemesis

Hours 21 to 90 are also kind of a drag. The game has many issues.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
you have a lot more combat options, but the pacing stays deliberate the whole game. tbh that's what I enjoy about the series bc i always play rpgs very methodically like that, but I can see how it might not be for everyone.
pcp

archnemesis

Most of the combat options aren't worth using though. Once you unlock a powerful skill then you will spam it for 20 hours and then unlock a more powerful skill to replace it with. The only interesting fights are bosses.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
there is a ton of redundant stuff. like for a melee class you'll want to find an attack all move and then you don't need to really mess with any other melee classes. they wanted to give a bunch of options but most of them don't matter, especially when you factor in all the monster classes.
pcp

archnemesis

I prefer combat systems where you have to exploit enemy weaknesses or consider strategic placement. There you have to put in some thought even if you're facing trash mobs.

Fifstar

I'll see how I like the game moving further. For now the game feels different as the episodes around Alltrades Abbey and all Al-balad really hint at the greater evil threatening the world.
Gulp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
I loved DQ7 and it was in my #1 slot for the series (well between 1 and 2, typically DQ3 would win).
Replaying it again sorta pointed out to me how it hadn't aged well, especially after DQVIII. I actually find it strange in that DQ3 is way older but it doesn't have the same aging issues. Still one of my favorites but it's a bit of an odd duck
que

bluemax

I prefer combat systems where you have to exploit enemy weaknesses or consider strategic placement. There you have to put in some thought even if you're facing trash mobs.

Combat in DQ games has never really been all that intricate. There's only about 4 buff/debuff spells and then a bunch of different attack spells that all do varying amounts of damage.

One of the classes in the re-worked DQ7 has an all enemy attack that makes trash mob fights pretty much a joke.
NO

a slime appears

• retro king
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Switch being published here by Nintendo:
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/dragon-quest-heroes-1-2/141912

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Wonder when it's going to come out.  I would definitely rather have this on Switch over PS4/PC for the portable aspect. 
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
u.s. release date when?!?
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Switch being published here by Nintendo:
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/dragon-quest-heroes-1-2/141912

Guess this is not happening?  It has been removed from various online retailer sites.  :-\
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
This eBay seller has Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (PS4) for only $22 after coupon

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/877249066614312961
fat

Valkyrie

• Good Christian

Both 3D and 2D mode. Also, cross play. :lawd
2D seems a bit nude though.

No talk about a Switch version yet.

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game

I got the Dragon Warrior 1 randomizer working yesterday. It's all right. Zelda 1 and FF1 seem better, but it's a quick play on this, too.

bluemax

Is there really that much to randomize?
NO

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
quick reminder that everyone should play dragon quest builders because its a fantastic game
pcp

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
Is there really that much to randomize?

You can totally change the overworld layout, so you don't know where to go. Also you can change what monsters fight you where, and what the monsters do. Another thing you can change is the contents of chests being mixed around (I've gotten Erdrick's Sword a couple times in the starting castle treasury which you need a magic key for). Shops can be mixed around, but the prices are the same. The Fairy Flute/Erdrick's Armor/Erdrick's Token can be mixed around, so the item on the ground can be the armor instead (those 3 items mix together).

You can also make it so you get remake amounts of xp and money, the text is sped up too. When you learn spells can be changed, but it seems like you learn them all a lot sooner (lv15 or less usually).

What isn't changed is the prices of stuff, the dungeon layouts, and town layouts.

There was a tournament for it last month or so, you can probably find vids of it on youtube. Game should take 2 hours or less probably.