Author Topic: Making a Dragon Quest thread and no one can stop me. (Dragonphile Support Group)  (Read 18385 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Dragon Quest VIIr next Friday, fam. :snob

spoiler (click to show/hide)
sponsored thread from Bad-Dragon.com  :doge
[close]
©@©™

archnemesis

I'll pick it up. It's the only mainline game that I haven't finished, not counting DQ10.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Hell yes!!! VII was my favorite after III despite never having finished it. I played like 80 hours when I got to the disc change and when I did my memory card died. I didn't have the heart to restart. I can't wait.
que

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Don't forget Builders

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I'm keeping an eye on DQ Builders as well.
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
will there be a PC version of builders? I'm genuinely interested in the game but have no real desire to have a next gen console at the moment.
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
GOTY 2016
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Going to buy VII on 3DS.  This will be the first DQ RPG I try playing.  :)
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
I'm buying the fuck out of 7 and builders. also have all the dq phone ports installed bc it's awesome to have them all right there in my hand
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I'm buying the fuck out of 7 and builders. also have all the dq phone ports installed bc it's awesome to have them all right there in my hand

How are the phone ports? I've heard that they either have weird scaling/stretching issues or are missing content from their other releases.
^_^

archie4208

Preordered for $32 at Amazon.  :rock

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa

How are the phone ports? I've heard that they either have weird scaling/stretching issues or are missing content from their other releases.

iirc only 1&2 have the stretching (and still look good) and 3 had missing content (no monster animations or bonus dungeons). also 8 is locked at a really low framerate for some reason. otherwise they're all really good ports, especially 4-6. all hi res, fast loading, and high quality soundtracks. plus the controls are the best use of virtual dpad I've ever used. it's so easy and convenient to play them one handed, and ofc it's very easy to look away or pause bc it won't get you a game over. i honestly prefer playing them on phone now.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I'm just gonna wait 4 more days and get SMT4 instead :3
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
sorry to hear that bro. hope things get better for you.
pcp

archie4208

>Not getting both.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Playing Rise of Iron and SMT4 on the side :aah
fat

a slime appears

• retro king
Super excited to get the definitive version of 7 in just a week! :hyper

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
But the midi soundtrack :(
VII is probably the most evocative DQ OST :doge
que

archnemesis

Unless it is a rhythm game, I play handheld games with the sound off while listening to podcasts. The internal speakers are terrible and I can't be bothered with wearing headphones for longer sessions. I won't miss the orchestral soundtrack.

Bebpo

I'm just gonna wait 4 more days and get SMT4 instead :3

I'd rather play SMT4-2 than DQVII too :P  Shown by the fact I still have DQVII 3DS sitting on my shelf a year later and haven't played it.  But DQ is good stuff.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
this is why the bore is losing hearts and minds
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Just noticed how good this character would be as an emoticon.

ど助平

bluemax

Can't wait to enjoy this game again. Such a fantastically melancholic game.

The ports/remakes of 1-3 were all more than playable. I finished them and they were probably the best controls/UI for a console RPG converted to mobile. I can't speak for the ports of 4-6 but I think those actually had some content added back that the DS versions missed.
NO

archnemesis

The lack of party chat in DQ4 wasn't a big deal to me. I'd rather have good controls than more dialogue.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
the touch controls for dq are fantastic
pcp

archnemesis

They're perhaps better than in many other games. I'd still rather have physical buttons.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
The lack of party chat in DQ4 wasn't a big deal to me. I'd rather have good controls than more dialogue.

Does the phone port have the extremely overdone accents that the DS version does? In that case I'd definitely prefer physical buttons to more dialogue :P
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa

Does the phone port have the extremely overdone accents that the DS version does? In that case I'd definitely prefer physical buttons to more dialogue :P

1-3 have new translations. no played up accents except 1 which uses old english. they also use some of the names from the nes games like erdrick.

4-6 use the ds translations and 8 uses the ps2 translation.
pcp

bluemax

Preordered ages ago... Gotta wait for tomorrow for it to ship tho.

Feels bad man. [/sekritnazipepe]

Best Buy had my copy and though their website said it was ready for pick up they wouldn't let me have it early, alas. I'm an adult, I'll be fine waiting a few more hours.
NO

archnemesis

My copy shipped yesterday morning. It should be waiting for me once I get home from the office. Now I just need to decide if I want to continue with Persona Q or play this in between.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Wearing my Slime tee in honor of today's monumental release. Can't wait till work is over!!
^_^

a slime appears

• retro king
Amazon says my copy is "shipping soon." :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
My Amazon copy shipped and will be delivered today.

:idont
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
SIX MORE HOURS TIL I CAN PLAY THIS
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
not fucking with shipping. walking into a store and picking it up.
que

archnemesis

Delivery went well. Now I just need to decide if I want to go with Arch or Auster.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
they changed Gabo's name to Ruff. please sign my petition to get Square to recall and destroy all copies of this game bc how dare they
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I heard they still have the stupid ass accents  :-\
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
wow all these game-breaking issues, good thing i decided to get the much more professionally translated shin megani tensei 4: apocalypse on tuesday
fat

archnemesis

Yawn, it starts off as slow as the PS1 version.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Just let DQ massage your prostate, demi. There's no need to be upset.
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Yawn, it starts off as slow as the PS1 version.
I have my copy but haven't started yet. I thought I heard it was supposed to start faster than PS1?
How could it possibly be slower?
que

archnemesis

I'm now past the first real dungeon, and it is indeed faster. Still, there is an awful lot of running back and forth in the beginning that feels entirely unnecessary.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
holy fuck the whole world is in 3d like dq8 this is fucking amazing Jesus skeeting Christ
pcp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I'm now past the first real dungeon, and it is indeed faster. Still, there is an awful lot of running back and forth in the beginning that feels entirely unnecessary.

This is where I am and it's really annoying.  Not a good first impression, but will keep on since I know this game is huge and is supposed to take a while to get going.
ど助平

Freyj

It's probably the slowest DQ game by a mile, but has my favorite vignettes in the series.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
lol the intro is just as long, except the removed the first dungeon. all the conversation triggers are all the same. i dont mind,  it's just that i knew that passed a lot of people off and turned them off to the game.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
well they should get checked for ADHD, and consider their future as inferior people with weak genes
fat

Freyj

Anyone running this on a N3DS with the CFW CPU option enabled? Slowdown is irritating, but I'm still holding out on buying a N3DS.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
i got a regular n3ds and it runs slow but it's like a millisecond of menu slowdown so w/e
pcp

archie4208

Holy shit this game rules.  :rock

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
lol the intro is just as long, except the removed the first dungeon. all the conversation triggers are all the same. i dont mind,  it's just that i knew that passed a lot of people off and turned them off to the game.

They removed dungeons from this game?  That explains a lot.   :lol
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
buh? they just took a puzzle dungeon (no monsters) out of the first scenario.
pcp

archie4208

Already 25 hours in and have my tier 2 vocations lel.

bluemax

I'm like 5 or 6 hours in and don't have Gabo er Ruff yet. I did two of those new dungeons, they were pretty meh.
NO

Bebpo

Just got to the first island, took a while!  But I like it.  Didn't realize the battles were slower 3d animation in this one.  Looks nice, though prefer quick 2d battles.

Bebpo

Ok, I skimmed through the ps1 version to compare since I never played it.  Pretty happy with the cell shaded character model improvements, towns look nice, world map is fine, I could go either way as I like 2d maps, battles I kinda wish they stayed 2d like ps1 with better animation, but I guess I'll live with slower 3d combat.

archnemesis

My biggest complaint is the slight input lag in text menus. A quick battle option with "repeat last command" or "all attack" would be nice too.

I've reached the fourth island (the one with the mechs) and I should soon reach the point where I stopped playing the PS1 version.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I'd like an option to speed up all text.  Press a button and the conversation window skips right to the end. 

But hey, I'm more than four hours in.  That's a lot for me when it comes to JRPGs.  :doge
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
damn did ANYONE finish this game back in the day? the original version was still fantastic...
pcp