Author Topic: GOG Thread  (Read 10268 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: GOG Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
I thought I missed out on the "buy expansion pass to get GOTY" dealio for Witcher 3, so I just got the pass at this sale for 10€. Lo and behold, they just sent me a mail that I've been given the GOTY upgrade nonetheless. Neat. Good old gog (gogog?! ???), always looking out for me.

You *did* already own vanilla Witcher 3, didn't you? I think this is standard if you buy the expansion pass with the base game.

Correct. GOTY is just base + season pass.

Corporal

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2018, 07:02:24 PM »
Ahaha, why the heck would I want to play GTA 5 on a freaking netbook. I mean,it's cool that I can, technically, but cripes. I'll stick to Torchlight and such fare. That should run nicely, all things considered. I won't force this little bugger to act beyond its capabilities. Kinda reminds me of the crazies that got Doom 3 to run on an old 3DFX GPU. It's an awe inspiring feat for sure, but way beyond the scope of my aspirations. :lol

That said, I've already found a complete modding guide for that netbook. You can install a copper heat spreader, hack the bios, disable various thermal constraints in software, dremel away plastic nubs to install a bigger SSD, reposition microphones, loudspeakers and other periphery inside and do all kinds of other fuckery if you're so inclined. It's somewhat hilarious that someone could (and in fact would) spend the equivalent of multiple purchase prices of this thing to wring out some more performance and functionality from this budget design. Amazing dedication to a good cause.

And  I wasn't aware that the W3 season pass->GOTY unlock worked that way. Still pretty cool, even if I'm not a special snowflake that happened to get lucky.
!list

thisismyusername

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2018, 10:35:06 PM »
GoG is doing KoF2002 for anyone that cares. Deal's done at like 10AM tomorrow.

archnemesis

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »
Another giveaway. This time it's Dungeons 2.

Corporal

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2018, 09:06:14 PM »
Thankies. More free stuff! :aah
!list

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2018, 03:36:09 AM »
GOG is having Back to School Sale, flash deals and so on. Decent amount of stuff 75+% off.

https://www.gog.com

Some new games are up on Connect:
King of Dragon Pass
Knights of Pen and Paper
MDK
Shadowrun Returns
Tempest
Toonstruck
For the Glory: A Europa Universalis Game

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
I picked up SimCity 2000 and Theme Hospital for $2.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
Shadow Warrior 2 is free for a limited time:
https://www.gog.com/game/shadow_warrior_2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »
Shadow Warrior 2 is pretty fun, definitely worth your time if you're looking for a fast-paced shooter that doesn't take itself seriously.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2018, 04:45:07 PM »
almost as good as DOOM
What

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2018, 05:18:08 PM »
I wish I could play first-person games--gives me nasty motion sickness.

Coax

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2018, 12:01:59 AM »
Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Shadow Tactics and Battle Chasers are in a combined deal of $25 for the 10 year GOG anniversary.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2018, 06:28:57 PM »
More stuff on connect.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Full Throttle Remastered is free on Gog.
https://www.gog.com/game/full_throttle_remastered

thisismyusername

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2018, 10:30:04 PM »
More stuff on connect.

Oh, fuck yeah: All the Shadowruns on connect. :o

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2018, 04:11:15 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2018, 12:56:15 AM »
They changed up the games on Connect again, completely different set from earlier in the sale:

Convoy
Hard West
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Syberia
Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek

They are going to put up a new set again for next week.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2018, 04:57:05 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
Nah, they're the DOS versions, not Genesis emulation (for anyone wondering) so they have weird console port stuff from that era like messed up timings, screen resolutions that don't let you see jumps, etc.

The Jungle Book might be a bit better, but I remember Aladdin as pretty much jank in a lot of ways.

I also don't know if they use the animation engine that the Genesis versions used, DOSBox obviously wouldn't have an issue but I'm slightly unsure about VGA, etc. from that era. (IIRC, even the GBA port of the SNES version had some issues with this because the frame timings are so specific.)

benjipwns

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2018, 02:58:50 PM »
This Week's Connect Games:

Descent
Divine Divinity
Dustforce DX
Europa Universalis: Rome Gold
Order of Battle: World War II
Panzer Corps
Tharsis
Two Worlds Epic Edition

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2018, 07:54:48 AM »
And SOMA is free on Gog.com
What

benjipwns

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
Spring Sale happening:
Daily Flash Deals are back! More than 600 deals up to 90% off!

Green-spirited Spring Man thaws prices as he warms up GOG.COM's servers with his sunny disposition. DRM-free digital store starts its Spring Sale with exciting daily Flash Deals and over 600 deals up to 90% off.

Flash Deals are back with 24h discounts that bring you the best offers on selected titles. The first batch of games include Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (-60%), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (-75%), Mages of Mystralia (-70%), Wizard of Legend (-40%), and Caesar 3 (-35%) with the next deals coming on Friday, 2 PM UTC.

Feel the spirit of Spring while playing the brightest role-playing gems like The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep (-20%), Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (-34%), Kingdom Come: Deliverance (-50%) or The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY (-70%). Test your wits in outstanding strategy games including BATTLETECH (-40%), Surviving Mars (-40%), Stellaris and its DLC's (up to -75%), Railway Empire (-50%), XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Pack (-80%), and more.

Embark on thrilling adventures in blockbuster titles like Darksiders III (-30%), Dead Space (-75%), Brothers in Arms series (-75%), Mafia III (-75%), and many more. Or discover unique indie games for the likes of This is the Police 2 (-25%), FoxTail (-45%), Dead Cells (-20%), Hollow Knight (-34%) or Megaquarium (-30%).

Spring Sale will last until March 28th, 11PM UTC.
Also a bunch of games have added Cloud Saves.

Coax

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2019, 08:59:00 PM »
In the latest CDP investor's conference it was revealed GOG last year made only $7,800 net profit. Link.

:fbm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2019, 09:01:04 PM »
That sucks. The only silver lining there is that at least they aren't losing money.

Maybe getting Diablo and some other old Blizzard games can make this year better for them.
dog

kingv

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »
That does suck. It’s not a bad client.

I bet they make that shit hand over fist when Witcher 3 came out though.

thisismyusername

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2019, 12:01:45 AM »
In the latest CDP investor's conference it was revealed GOG last year made only $7,800 net profit. Link.

:fbm

Being fair: Most of their stuff is either on Steam (I got Messiah, Tomb Raider 1-3, and the like on Steam in addition to Steam stuff through GoG Connect) or they don't have stuff that Steam does have (DMC5, Biohazard 2 REbirth 2, etc).

So it's hard to really be convinced to dump money into GoG in terms of demanding games or older games that might have slightly better support on Linux/etc. through GoG but can't be gotten for as cheap as Steam.

Coax

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2019, 12:26:38 AM »
Based on a video featurette they made various of the older games they have on GOG have taken years to work out the rights for, so while they sometimes have an exclusivity period on GOG after that it's often on Steam despite putting in the legwork. I don't blame users for buying wherever it's cheapest though.

Personally it's not older games I'm buying on GOG but indies. If I can obtain a game DRM-free I'll favor GOG, if it's not there I'll use Humble or (if the game is much lower budget) itch.io if available. I think it's their strict curation for indies that has hurt them somewhat, which it seems they've realized partially as I notice various rejected titles years ago now approved. Why they thought it was a good idea to reject critically praised indie games is beyond me.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2019, 05:15:21 PM »
"Jill of the Jungle?" :heh

*it's free*

"OK"  :yeshrug

thisismyusername

« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2019, 11:25:16 PM »
"Jill of the Jungle?" :heh

*it's free*

"OK"  :yeshrug

Jill of the Jungle is pretty decent. :bolo

benjipwns

« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2019, 06:29:51 AM »
That's been among their free titles for some time, here's all their free for everybody stuff: https://www.gog.com/games?page=1&sort=release_asc&price=free

Speaking of free titles, I've been a bit upset that GOG Connect is basically dead. Even with these recent additions of large publisher libraries and sales when they used to give out a few like this 2K week, it's nada. Wanna get the first Mafia and the Railroads Tycoons and Civ III and IV and old X-COMs on my account and shit. This is not the glorious multi-storefront utopia I was promised! :maf

(Mainly, I want any of GOG's fixes that the Steam versions don't have without having to look it up. :doge)

benjipwns

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
https://www.gogalaxy.com/en/

GOG GALAXY 2.0 is an application, thanks to which you’ll be able to combine multiple libraries into one and connect with your friends across all gaming platforms, consoles included. If your games and gaming buddies are scattered between different launchers and platforms, this is a solution for you! Keeping track of all achievements earned by you and your friends, hours played, and games owned across platforms has never been this easy. And the application is entirely free, all you need is a GOG account to use it.

In GOG GALAXY 2.0 you’re adding games through official and community created integrations. By connecting platforms, the data about the games you own is automatically imported to the application. On top of that you will also be able to manually add single games that are not connected to any platform.

GOG GALAXY 2.0 will show all your games from connected PC and console platforms… even if they are not currently installed.
Like with games, in GOG GALAXY 2.0 adding friends begins with connecting platforms. By doing so, you can find other GOG GALAXY users who are your friends on the platforms or social networks you have connected.

Additionally, you’ll be able to see non-GOG GALAXY users from friends lists of connected platforms – with an option to check their online status and chat with them cross-platform.
The whole client has been rebuilt from the ground up to be better and faster. All features for third party platforms work for GOG.COM. With the new games library, you’ll be able to filter, sort and add tags to customize your views and save them for easy access. Thanks to the new friends section, you’ll have a chance to track your friends progress in every GOG.COM game, as well as see what they are currently playing. On top of that, GOG GALAXY 2.0 will remain your optional client for GOG.COM games – features like auto-updates, cloud saves, cross-play, rollbacks and more stay the same as the GOG GALAXY you’re currently using.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2019, 12:54:16 PM »
:rejoice
dog

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »
Signed up for the beta. I love you GOG :-*
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »
God is good.

Freyj

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2019, 02:35:07 PM »
GOG really feels like the right company to do this and I hope it works out for them.

Coax

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2020, 09:45:48 AM »
Evil Within 1 & 2 released with a steep initial discount.

Also noticed Bioshock: Infinite was released at a discount (or had the series been there before and I didn't notice ???).

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
It was added in May of last year according to Gogdb. The first two were added in Dec 2018.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »
Evil Within bundle for 9.99 seems like a great OK deal.

No coffee, I read it as including everything.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:33:16 PM by Akala »

Svejk

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2020, 12:42:56 PM »
Just picked up Baldur's Gate:EE half off for $10.

Coax

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »
https://twitter.com/GOGGalaxy/status/1311614925102624768

:mindblown

Quote from: GOG
In the new store, we will be welcoming games from both GOG.COM and beyond - including titles previously exclusive only to other gaming platforms. With the internal beta launching today, invited users will have the option to buy games from a selection of hand-picked Epic Games Store exclusive titles, alongside all GOG.COM games. Most importantly, all purchases are covered by our 30-days refund policy as well as 24/7 human support.

That sweet Epic money.

I have no idea how this would fit their MO of DRM-free but I suppose by 'hand-picked' they mean DRM-free Epic-exclusive titles.

Also it's objectively bullshit that buying from other stores is their most requested feature when I've kept an eye on their Galaxy forum for months and the most posted subject is on Galaxy v2 issues and how to downgrade to v1 :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »
#FuckEpic

Also this is probably the start of killing GoG (me being pessimistic): If Epig is going on their store, what's to stop people from selling Steam keys/etc. on Galaxy?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2020, 11:40:41 AM »
mmaRsU annihilated :dead
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2020, 01:01:27 PM »
As if I use gog anyway lmao 😂

i do actually have it installed and runs on my pc every day but I close it straight away and never use it.

And Epic is a piece of trash

Ill prob uninstall the gog client too cuz fuck it
What

Bebpo

« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2020, 01:20:11 PM »
#FuckEpic

Also this is probably the start of killing GoG (me being pessimistic): If Epig is going on their store, what's to stop people from selling Steam keys/etc. on Galaxy?

Isn't this good for GOG? More games?

I don't use GOG much outside of retro stuff but it's always seemed a pretty good storefront.

Coax

« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2020, 01:42:10 PM »
It's hard to say how this has been implemented. Normally Galaxy v2's integrations of other services/platforms is just in a launcher/info capacity only (still requiring the other services open) but this is one step further where they're allowing GOG users to buy Epic exclusive games via GOG (the details aren't specific atm) while also providing refunds via GOG.

So they've become a payment system and kind-of alternate client for some Epic-only games but they haven't laid out how far the integration here goes and whether downloads/updates will be integrated as well (as that would really blur the line between what is truly Epic exclusive). I wonder what cut GOG gets from it.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2020, 02:54:03 PM »

i do actually have it installed and runs on my pc every day but I close it straight away and never use it.

:badass

(ice)

thisismyusername

« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2020, 05:22:59 PM »
#FuckEpic

Isn't this good for GOG? More games?

I don't use GOG much outside of retro stuff but it's always seemed a pretty good storefront.

GOG's problem (before they finally got a clue) was that pre-2013 (or even like pre-2007) titles were all they focused on. DOS and early Win9x era titles being updated to run easier on WinXP, 7, 8, (9), 10. That was their whole selling point. Thing is: NOBODY besides a niche minority really cared about that. (And Steam was doing piss-poor job of doing that, see titles that GoG carries like Tomb Raider 1-3 in comparison to their Steam versions for Back Comp purposes)

So until like 2016? 2017? GoG was focusing on indies or older titles and those were very minor.

Now, they're selling modern titles. But at this point: The horse (Modern games) has already bolted out of the barn (GoG) for more modern pastures (Steam being the powerhouse it is).

What I'm getting at is: GoG finally came around and offered modern titles, BUT if they start to sell Epic keys (even if just integrating it via Galaxy): What is to stop people from bolting to those other store-fronts?  Is GoG going to offer a DRM-free version of Epic's shit? Because if so: LOL Epic is gonna blow a gasket about people being able to pirate their stuff (GoG versions are nortorious for being pirated due to DRM-free).

But if they offer Steam keys, 1) they don't get the 100% cut they get [which is why they're begging folks to buy Cyberpunk on GoG over Steam) and 2) those folks get the CD-key, redeem it on the Steam client/uninstall GoG and GoG "loses a customer" (in a fashion).

That's why I'm pessimistic about this move. On one hand, it's very consumer friendly, but on the other it's very business-unfriendly (depending on how consumers respond to it). But we won't know until next year or so if the investment was worth it or backfired or not.

Or just don't link Epig like I haven't done. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 MMaRSu, I hate Epig as well but :comeon

(I uninstalled Galaxy because Gwent finally came to Steam so there was no reason to keep their client since everything I buy is via Steam, hello Justin Bebpo for this pessimism from me above)