Author Topic: Manga Thread  (Read 18366 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Manga Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
Go read Goodnight Punpun if you haven't yet.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2017, 04:46:36 AM »
I AM SCREAMING!

Edit: Here's a joke for dutch bore.

Watsuki? Blijkbaar kinderen.

Tasty

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
Prison School just ended with chapter 277.  It really feels like the author just didn't really know what to do after the sports festival arc that dragged on for entirely too long.  A lot of people don't like the ending, but it kind of makes sense:

The final story arc was a barbecue that all the main characters were going to have and the stuff that happens that prevents most of them from getting there on time. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The last few chapters are about Hana popping up and trying to stop Kiyoshi and Chiyo from getting together.  Kiyoshi has to pee really, really bad during this time so you get gags related to that.  Hana tells Chiyo that Kiyoshi is a huge pervert and all the shit that happened during the series is explained to her (which Hana was very much a part of).  Hana tells Chiyo that Kiyoshi is wearing her underwear and jumps on him to take his pants off, which unleashes a urine geyser and sure enough, there's her pantsu~.  Kiyoshi monologues that he's really learned nothing and is still immature, and then some time passes and we see Meiko talking to the underground student council president, who says that the garbage (boys) need to be checked out in jail.  Only the president went off to study abroad, so this is now her sister, Chiyo, who clearly now hates boys after what happened to her.
[close]

It's not quite done yet.  There's an epilogue chapter coming out in April.

I also started reading Gintama, which I guess like Blame! and Gantz is another one of those "how did I miss this?" series.  Seems like some kooky fun.  Checked out the anime and immediately disliked how it doesn't follow the manga and acts as if you should know who everyone already is.  Was there an OVA or something that Crunchyroll doesn't have?

And finally, to replace Prison School (kinda) and get my perv on, I started reading a little-known series called Amano Megumi Wa Suki Darake!, about a high school kid who doesn't want to do anything but study his ass off to get into Tokyo U, but finds it hard to do so when he is re-introduced to his neighbor, the titular Megumi, who has a crazy figure and constantly shows off the goods to him without realizing it, making it so he can't concentrate.  It's not really trashy so much as it is "pleasantly perverted."  This one caught my eye because the setting is in Ishikawa prefecture, where I used to live.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:43:05 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »
It's pretty much universally agreed the Gintama anime doesn't get good until episode 25.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
There were aliens in the first episodes of Gintama, lmao. Remember that shit?
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2017, 07:21:39 PM »
they should make deadman wonderland again

paprikastaude

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »
That last chapter of One Punch Man though :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »
There were aliens in the first episodes of Gintama, lmao. Remember that shit?

Does it get away from that?  The beginning makes it seem like aliens have a huge presence in the story.

Also fully-admitting that I am interested in this series because a musou-style game is coming out for it early next year.
:uguu
ど助平

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2017, 04:38:05 AM »
Does it get away from that?  The beginning makes it seem like aliens have a huge presence in the story.

Also fully-admitting that I am interested in this series because a musou-style game is coming out for it early next year.

Yeah the aliens just kind of disappear after a certain point

Also the anime is worth watching for the voice acting. One of the only times I prefer an anime adaptation to the manga.

Tasty

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2018, 11:43:46 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2018, 05:28:18 PM »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
Anyone else reading A Trail of Blood? The art is godlike

:lawd

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2018, 01:41:16 AM »
When you look through Shinya Murata's bibliography and notice a trend  :holeup .

I JUST READ BERSERK BOYS.

Tasty

« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »
Yu-Gi-Oh! Transcend Game was just the kind of "scientific pseudobabble mixed with card games and ancient mythology" story I needed right now. :aah

https://imgur.com/a/vlkiR
https://imgur.com/a/eKXrr

The more I think about it the more I love Dark Side of Dimensions.

warcock

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
Anything long and good to read? I went through battle angel alita, gantz and vagabond. What else is good, M4Tur3 with lots of chapters and good art? Tits and sex is a plus. Tried blackjack yesterday but it is ugly as sin. Did i forget to mention that Inoue rapes pretty much anyone on the planet in terms of artwork?

paprikastaude

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »
Vinland Saga
Kingdom (at least I've heard - I have yet to start myself :doge )
Monster (if you haven't seen the anime, I guess)

warcock

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2018, 01:45:35 PM »
Vinland Saga
Kingdom (at least I've heard - I have yet to start myself :doge )
Monster (if you haven't seen the anime, I guess)
monster started out with alot of potential i felt, but the plot twist fucking sucked. Anyways ya seen both anime and read the manga. I'll try vinland saga.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2018, 05:05:16 PM »
Eh. Kinda expected this, tbh.

Tasty

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2018, 08:15:32 PM »
Spent a few hours today on the YGO wiki and I think I might pick the manga up, it just seems so much more interesting and layered than the show was (and I dug the show, of course.)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2018, 05:42:37 PM »
Yeah. How many times do we have to see Griffith play saviour? We get it, he's living his dream, now move on already. :goty2

Tasty

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »
Oh look, a new Berserk chapter

*reads*

Well that was pointless. :marimo

Yeah. How many times do we have to see Griffith play saviour? We get it, he's living his dream, now move on already. :goty2

New chapter same shit

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2018, 04:19:12 AM »
:stahp

Corporal

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2018, 08:36:27 AM »
Read Boichi's Hotel. Heh. I like the balance between comedy and drama. Also, it's just the right length.

Can you taste the optimism?!
...There's apparently two versions of this manga. Huh. He liked the story that much, eh.

Also Omoide Emanon. Once again, Short Story length. Kind of moving. I found it pretty filling. Checked on tvtropes, and there's apparently a sequel with tits. Not sure if want, but noted for late night research. Can't very well whip out pictures of nekkid women in public transportation, can I now.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is amazingly relaxing to read. Holy crap. It wasn't compelling because nothing much happens but only recently did I realize how nice and cozy it is to read. :aah
YKK is awesome. There's that yearning/slightly sad/wistful undertone that makes it a joy to read. Pretty stellar stuff. I think I know what I'm gonna read next. Thanks for reminding me.

(That, or Planetes. Been a while since I read that. Hmmmm.)
!list

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:18 AM »
Today is Manga-no-Hi (Manga Day) in Japan. That is all.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2018, 08:21:46 AM »
Any good slice-of-life manga recommendations?  I'm finding those to be good reads before bed.  (I have Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō in my reading list already!)

Recently read all of the currently-translated Okusan and Ashitaba-san Chi no Mukogurashi comics, both from the same creator, Masakazu Ooi.  Dude loves gigantic, insane titties- in Okusan, the titular (pun intended) main character has huge knockers which are often the subject of jokes, but it's just her who is depicted like this.  Ashitaba-san Chi no Mukogurashi, on the other hand, has an entire family of mega-boobed women.  Like, ridiculously oversized tits to the point that they shouldn't be able to do certain things if they were real people.  The story is about a guy who marries one of the family daughters and goes to live in their house, and to be fair, there's lots of jokes made about him getting erections...and his junk is just as ridiculously-sized as the tits are.  :lol  It somehow manages to be pretty charming despite the WTF tits going on.  The two main characters get married and the whole thing is just awwwww  :-[ dem feels. 

Ooi needs to seriously tone down the proportions.  He has some nice art and he might be able to have a big hit if he didn't make all his characters have huge tits and schlongs.  :doge

Today is Manga-no-Hi (Manga Day) in Japan. That is all.

Uguu~ for everyone
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2018, 12:09:46 PM »
Arachnid - Manga written by Shinya Murata, who later went on to create Killing Bites.  Like Killing Bites, there's a huge focus on animal-like abilities and detailed descriptions of how animals do things and are natural killing machines- only this one has a focus on mostly insects, and nobody is actually some kind of animal/human hybrid...they're just using insect names as code names and pattern fighting styles after them.

This was a weird one with too many nonsensical plot-twists.  It also just kind of ended abruptly, but has a spin-off called Caterpillar that I'm going to start on next.  Arachnid is about a school girl (of course) named Alice who leads a shitty life- her mother killed herself and she had to go live with her uncle, who is an abusive piece of shit.  She also gets bullied at school but despite this just kind of deals with everything and tries to stay cheerful.  Her uncle then comes into her room and tries to rape her, but is stopped when the doorbell rings.  Surprise!  It's a hit man, who uses a detachable knife on a wire as his weapon.  He hangs the uncle and then turns to kill Alice, but she suddenly is able to side-step the knife and avoid a killing blow.  The hitman recognizes this as a special kind of "disability" that allows someone to think so quickly that it slows down time -he has the same thing- and decides to take her under his wing and train her as an assassin. 

Will spoiler-tag the rest.

The hitman takes her to "The organization," run by "the boss" who nobody ever sees, to see if they'll let her in,
but is denied and told to kill her on the spot.  He refuses and they leave.  He then trains her more and ends up lying to Alice to get her to go fight him in a battle to the death.  He wants to die and wanted her to kill him.  She then gets his code name "Kumo" (spider) and his weapon.  Now the organization wants her to take his place, but she refuses.
[close]

Alice goes back to school and tries to live a normal life, but
keeps getting bullied by three girls.  She finally snaps and beats up two of them, then pulls a gun on the third and shoots at her, but misses on purpose and hits the wall behind her.  This girl then ends up becoming friends with Alice and lets her move in.
[close]

So far, so good.  Pretty straight-forward.  Cue the fuckery!

The remaining 99% of the comic takes place at school.  It turns out that "the boss" is a student there (of course!) and the school is filled with assassins from the organization.  Because...?  It's never really explained.  :lol ::) 
[close]

Not gonna explain the whole plot, but it's mainly just lots and lots of fighting with most of the assassins going after Alice after "The boss" puts a bounty on her and then a few other assassins fighting on her side or just fighting each other.

Let's get the real fuckery!  There's some Metal Gear Solid-level shit going on here.  :lol

Background:

The original Kumo somehow knew that Alice was going to be targeted and trained for this reason.  He also paid another assassin to protect her.
"The boss" appears to be the student council president.  Some skinny girl with an eye patch and blonde hair who makes dumb faces all the time.  Her right-hand man is a big assassin named Hornet.
A school PE teacher and the nurse are also assassins.
During the course of the story, Alice and co. meet up with someone on the morals committee.  She's a girl with gigantoid bosoms who the student council president appears to have blackmailed or bribed into doing sexual favors for her with male students. 
The student council president/boss is codenamed the "Army Ant Queen" and is able to get people to do whatever she wants.
[close]

The :confused:

Ok, here goes, some slight alternations of the sequence of events to make it easier to explain.

-Alice thinks her mother killed herself.  SURPRISE!  She was killed by the organization.
-Alice is told by the school nurse that she killed her mother.  Alice defeats her and the nurse kills herself.
-Alice meets Hornet and SURPRISE!  He's actually her father. He was approached by the boss years earlier to become "hornet" and had to go kill his family.  He got poison from the nurse and killed his wife, but didn't kill Alice.
-"The organization" is world-wide and exist to stop over-population.  They aim to kill half the population on the planet.
-The Army Ant Queen is able to enslave people by swapping bodily fluids.  Once she does, she can control them and people become like super-strong zombies who fuck others to "infect" them.  The idea is to let them loose and infect a ton of the population, causing an epidemic, which will eventually lead to them all dying off.
-SURPRISE!  The Army Ant Queen is actually BIG TITTY GIRL, controlling everything behind the scenes.  The SC president was a timid, meek girl who she had sex with and enslaved.
-BIG TITTY GIRL cons Alice into having sex with her by having the SC president say that she wants to humiliate both of them to let them live.  This is a ploy to swap spit and infect Alice.
-BIG TITTY GIRL wants to humiliate and control Alice because...she's jealous?  :lol ???  Because after all the bullying and the shitty life, Alice remained positive.
-SURPRISE!  Alice knew BIG TITTY GIRL was the real bad guy before teh sexxor and used her wire to create a trap.  BIG TITTY GIRL DEAD. 
-Without BIG TITTY GIRL's presence, all the "army ants" become mindless drones and just kind of stand around, although some get out of the school and start doing a zombie-like plague (only instead of killing and eating people, they're all fucking  :doge)
-Alice goes to the roof of the school and meets her father and kills him after they fight.  The end?

-BUT WAIT!  Remember the girl who bullied Alice and then became friends with her?  Alice thought she was killed by the nurse.  Nope...she survived and in fact SHE IS THE BOSS.
:mindblown :confused
(She did nothing all this time and just stood around looking helpless)

-BUT WAIT AGAIN!  This girl isn't a normal human!  She looks 15, but is actually 100 years old!  (Of course!)
-The boss looked like a 10 year-old for most of her life (of course!) and found that she was able to manipulate people like a parasite bug controlling another insect.  She found that she could only have total control over one person at a time, however, and these became her "hornets."
-The boss used her power to control powerful men and it is indicated that she is responsible for causing multiple wars.  There's a fucked up scene of a Japanese imperial army general reporting to her as she sits in a chair that's way too big for her.
-At some point her immortality fades a bit and she ages to look like a teenager.
-AND OF COURSE she also wants to mess with Alice because...reasons...and has planned out everything that has happened up to this point.
-Alice gives no fucks and throws her off the roof.  Boss = dead.

BUT WAIT YET AGAIN!  The zombie-fuck army is still out there as are most of the organization.  Alice goes into hiding with one of her suriving pals, codenamed "Cockroach," who is a shifty, sneaky schoolgirl who wants to get into Alice's pants.  She tries to do that again but Alice has left their hiding spot.

Alice is then showing beating up zombies and...that's it.  We then get an epilogue of two of the characters saying that Alice is disappeared and has probably been taken by the organization and they're gonna get her back and...that's it.
[close]

:confused

Maybe Caterpillar will makes things more clear.
ど助平

hampster

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
I read World Trigger is back on 10/29. The author has been sick or something for like two years. Love it :heart

Also,
https://mobile.twitter.com/mangabookshelf/status/1053192969308815362

Next on my to read list :expert
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:40:48 PM by hampster »
Zzz

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »
I read World Trigger is back on 10/29. The author has been sick or something for like two years. Love it :heart

Also,

They call it "Plus Sized Elf" in English? The Japanese title is much better and translates to "Elves can't do/handle diets" which fits the theme of the book much better.
:expert

It's a pretty funny book that is full of female (of course) fantasy type characters crossing over into the real world and then getting too fat, so they go to the personal trainer main character for help.  They're all THICC.    There's also not any kind of harem crap despite there only being one male character.   :)
ど助平

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »

Also,

They call it "Plus Sized Elf" in English? The Japanese title is much better and translates to "Elves can't do/handle diets" which fits the theme of the book much better.
:expert

It's a pretty funny book that is full of female (of course) fantasy type characters crossing over into the real world and then getting too fat, so they go to the personal trainer main character for help.  They're all THICC.    There's also not any kind of harem crap despite there only being one male character.   :)

this guy's hentai work was so dope. guess I have to buy this as well

Also the above post was the BLAME! experience boiled down and condensed  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »
Plus Sized Elves :mouf
©@©™

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2019, 05:06:12 PM »
Shut the fuck up

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
Pluto has a better plot. Billy Bat is supposedly good as well, but I got tired of Urasawa's tear-jerking partway through Pluto, so I didn't even start it.

« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2019, 02:58:59 PM »
I've been enjoying Chainsaw Man so far, would say it's been the most interesting shounen action manga I've read in ages. But the last 2-3 chapters it feels like it started jumping the gun with couple of crazy shit happening, that makes me think it's either getting axed or it's going down the route of Firepunch which was made by the same author.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
I've been enjoying Chainsaw Man so far, would say it's been the most interesting shounen action manga I've read in ages. But the last 2-3 chapters it feels like it started jumping the gun with couple of crazy shit happening, that makes me think it's either getting axed or it's going down the route of Firepunch which was made by the same author.
Firepunch shit the bed so hard, good god. The author had no idea what to do at all. Reminded me of Battle Angel Alita's first ending, and not just because of the stalk growing from the planet.

lol berserk is such a trash manga
shaddap :brazilcry

Tasty

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
Do we have a thread yet compiling dumb dufus posts

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »
I finished reading the Berserk up onto the point the anime covers, but there's so many  more chapters past this that I can't honestly believe that the quality doesn't decline from here on.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »
Stalling/filler + slow release schedule are its main problems currently. Miura is over it and/or out of ideas. We've got a major development recently, so that's nice, but there's still no clear path toward a conclusion. :goty2

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2019, 07:19:02 PM »
I think he's spent and dragging it out to retirement. :shaq2

paprikastaude

« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2019, 06:13:57 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2019, 08:33:44 AM »
finished pluto a few days ago

its top-tier brehs

basically flawless

and it has some extremely powerful, memorable moments :tocry

I've had that series on standby for the longest time. Keep meaning to read it.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
Reading Otoyomegatari. Nomadic 19th century Central Asian waifus :noah

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2019, 11:30:32 PM »
Dunno if I mentioned this, but I tried reading that "Promised Wonderland" manga, and noped-out after they showed a dead, trussed six year old in a jar that was primed for demon food.

Too fucking dark for this Dad.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2020, 01:36:10 PM »

Pennywise

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2020, 06:25:47 PM »
Since it's only been mentioned once, I'm gonna repeat that you should read Homunculus.

Great art, great story and due a relatively low amount of characters, there's alot of focus on the main characters.
Just an amazing package alltogether and easily among my favorites.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2020, 10:57:00 AM »
https://kitsu.io/manga/henkyou-no-roukishi-bard-loen

A lone knight who for many years served House Tersia, on the eastern edge of the continent. Now old and weak, he saw that it would not be long before he left this world. And so he retired from his master’s service, gave up his fortune and set off on a journey. A carefree journey with rare sights and food. But he did not know it. That this journey was the beginning of a story that would one day be talked about all over the continent.

What a breath of fresh air. :rejoice

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2020, 10:19:23 PM »
Been reading The Way of the House Husband, about a former Yakuza boss who retires, gets married, and becomes a home-maker while his wife works an office job. It's funny and dumb and I love it.

dog

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2020, 10:23:50 PM »
I read the entire Berserk manga, now to wait another decade for more.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:28:08 PM by D3RANG3D »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »
Gunbured x Sisters

The manga is set in a world where, beginning with vampires, the supernatural world has been exposed to the public. Dorothy, a member of the Red Sisters clergy group that hunts down supernatural beings, has a fateful encounter with a blood-drenched woman named Maria.

Yandere Nun double clicking her mouse pretty early on, wellthatescalatedquickly.jiff.
[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
New chapter just came out the other day jokes on you!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2020, 05:56:51 PM »
I'm not confident it'll finish either, but at least the plot is actually moving again.

paprikastaude

« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2020, 07:24:25 PM »
Meanwhile at HxH  :birdman

Tasty

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2020, 08:39:13 PM »
Meanwhile at HxH  :birdman

Me when this thread is bumped and it's not HxH news:

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2020, 10:56:43 AM »
The Vtuber manga "Oyaji ga Bishoujo ni Natteta Hanashi " is pretty funny stuff.  The first few chapters are fan-translated but it has now been licensed. 

The mom also wants to be a 'vtuber,' but instead fails horribly at it and people think she's the one who is a creepy old man pretending to be a girl.  :lol

ど助平