Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 942856 times)

Boredfrom

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #2220 on: September 15, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »
Ever play SaGa Frontier?  It's very reminiscent of that where you have a group of individual characters and their personal stories.  I'm assuming the characters will intertwine and lead to a final climax, but the demo didn't give any sort of indication for that.

The battle system is turn based and is a mix of Bravely Default and Shin Megami Tensei.  Enemies have layers of a shield which is pierced by attacking their weaknesses.  Once their shield is broken, they are stunned and take extra damage for a turn.  Each turn you get a point in a power meter which lets you attack multiple times to more easily break an enemy's shield.  It's not the deepest combat ever, but it's fairly unique and satisfying.

Beyond that, the presentation and music are great.  The stories, while not the most unique things in the world, aren't "plucky teenagers kill god" (at least not yet).

The demo does say that in the final game you will be able to recruit any of the other characters at any time when you found them. You can also choice what path actions to do so there is potential that a single side quest has tons of different solutions (the result of the guys harassing the merchant in the demo can vary if you attack them or use Primeose to get certain NPC)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2221 on: September 15, 2017, 02:45:35 PM »
Ever play SaGa Frontier?  It's very reminiscent of that where you have a group of individual characters and their personal stories.

That was immediately what I thought of when I saw the trailer. I really miss those quirky, small-scale Square RPGs from the 90's.
dog

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2222 on: September 15, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »
Octopath is interesting, but LOL at it being like SMT.. What the hell SMT games have you played??? There are no status effects or elemental strengths/weaknesses that I have seen. The shield mechanic is nothing like press turn (which gives you an additional turn to attack for exploiting the enemy's weakness.)

:snob

It's like Bravely Default with an added stun barrier mechanic.. I only played the demo for BD but I remember it had the ability to store up turns. Interesting game, though, and the art style is really good after you get used to it.

archie4208

« Reply #2223 on: September 15, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
See weakness, exploit it, good things happen.  Kinda close to press turn.  :yeshrug

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2224 on: September 15, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »
See weakness, exploit it, good things happen.  Kinda close to press turn.  :yeshrug

Hey, Atra's dating thread is over thataway, bud.
©@©™

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2225 on: September 15, 2017, 05:23:50 PM »

::)

It's only vaguely similar attacking scrub 1 shield enemies. When enemies have a shield greater than 1, it is nothing like press turn, as it takes X number of hits to break their shield and stun them. At no point do you ever get a free turn. It's closer to like Xenosaga 2 or 3 than anything from the glorious SMT franchise

:cmonson

Freyj

« Reply #2226 on: September 15, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »
I've only played the Warrior's path up through the bandit cave, but I wasn't terribly impressed outside of the visuals? The combat is okay I suppose, I'd need to see more party members and more complexity before I could comment on it. I expected a little more out of the story for some reason. I found myself increasingly wanting to mash through the text.

I'm a sucker for SaGa like games though, so I'll give the other path some time too.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2227 on: September 15, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »
Octopath reminds me of FFT in graphical style and story.

FStop7

« Reply #2228 on: September 16, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
P.S. People who say "ness" and "sness" can go to hell

this is very important

I didn't know people actually did this until a couple of years ago. :scust

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nester

But Nintendo themselves are at least partly responsible. :trumps

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2229 on: September 16, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
NEZZ
and
SNEZZ

FStop7

« Reply #2230 on: September 16, 2017, 10:08:45 PM »
My local Best Buy got a few more Switches in stock.  They had one neon and a few grays, I caved and bought the neon along with BotW and a Pro Controller.  I had to leave for work but everything will be downloaded, charged, and ready to go when I get home.  I'm pretty hyped for Zelda.  I've avoided reading about the game or watching videos but what little I've seen has blown my mind.  The art style is gorgeous. 

I've got the Octodad Traveler and Puyo Puyo Tetris demos in the queue, too.  Octopath looks awesome.

agrajag

« Reply #2231 on: September 16, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #2232 on: September 16, 2017, 11:02:18 PM »
Listen to the sounds, boyos

SUPER N-E-S

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2233 on: September 17, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »
Goddamnit, a couple more games like Octopath Traveler are what is going to make me cave and get a fucking Switch.
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2234 on: September 17, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
I played the dancer's scenario in the Octopath demo and yeah, it seems really good so far. Story, while not the most innovative thing, seems to have potential and its more reminiscent of classic 16-bit era RPGs. The whole game, from art style, to having 8 characters with intertwining stories, feels like it is to SaGa what Bravely Default is to FF. Romancing SaGa 3 in particular.

After you beat the dancer's scenario you can continue playing for a bit and go to the warrior's town. It lets you recruit the warrior, so you will be able to recruit characters from different scenarios, not unlike other SaGa games.

My biggest issue so far is that the enemies feel like HP sinks, even with exploiting their weaknesses and comboing them. And also the voices in battle get annoying FAST. Seriously:

"I am ready"
"I am ready"
"I am ready"
"I am ready"

Every goddamn round!

Hopefully these issues will be fixed during the final game.
^_^

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2235 on: September 18, 2017, 03:10:48 AM »
The matchmaking in Splatoon is a bit  :dizzy :crybaby :crazy

Sometimes you get pitted against a whole team of level 30-40 people and your team is level 10.

GG

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #2236 on: September 18, 2017, 09:06:28 AM »
Play Destiny 2

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2237 on: September 18, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2238 on: September 18, 2017, 09:44:50 PM »
Got my Switch in today.  Also got Zelda, Mario Kart, the pro controller, and a SanDisk 128 GB SDXC card.  Bomberman and Puyo Puyo Tetris are coming in later this week.
🍆🍆

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2239 on: September 19, 2017, 06:57:10 AM »
Splatoon is really good, Id recommend it, really bit of  fresh gameplay.

Salmon Run is a cool mode, but I don't get why it's not always available, such Nintendo.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2240 on: September 19, 2017, 06:58:20 AM »
Play Destiny 2

I played 1, played the 2 demo and it was missing something. Maybe at some stage Ill jump in but not now.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #2241 on: September 19, 2017, 07:20:41 AM »
Play Final Fantasy IX

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2242 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »
Again? I never replayed a game in my life. Feel like you are steering me to console race winner PS4 when my mood is more Switch now.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2243 on: September 19, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
Goddamnit, a couple more games like Octopath Traveler are what is going to make me cave and get a fucking Switch.

Switch was already a must-buy at launch with Zelda. With Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 around the corner it's a major miss not to own one.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #2244 on: September 19, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »
Play ReCore: Definitive Edition

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2245 on: September 19, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
Play Final Fantasy IX

Enjoying the PC port to your PS4 machine?  :lol

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #2246 on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
Using my original disc bitch

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #2247 on: September 19, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #2248 on: September 21, 2017, 11:25:44 PM »
Update: I am still Switch-less

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2249 on: September 22, 2017, 12:51:12 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #2250 on: September 22, 2017, 01:27:08 AM »
I'm glad Tasty Meat has a new playmate in Jenkem.

You mean my alt-

Err, right. New playmate. Separate user entirely.

Tasty

« Reply #2251 on: September 22, 2017, 02:12:16 PM »
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and Pokken Tournament DX are out today, by the way. Will probably get Xeno 2.

Tasty

« Reply #2252 on: September 22, 2017, 02:18:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/911213522394087424

Those motion control attacks. :lol

Online :leon

Budokai Tenkaichi style :aah

Dozens of hours of content :lawd

Yeah, I'm so down for this.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2253 on: September 23, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and Pokken Tournament DX are out today, by the way. Will probably get Xeno 2.

Yup, got them both.  Pokken feels like the more polished game, but DBZ is no slouch.  Has some framerate issues when walking around, but fights are very smooth.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2254 on: September 23, 2017, 12:41:11 AM »
Heard there's some drops in the hub world, but hopefully will be improved with a patch. They also have XV1 story DLC, which some were worried wouldn't come to the states. It's free until October 22nd or around there.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2255 on: September 23, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »
Any recommendations for the $30 in my e-shop account?

I might just save it put it towards Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2256 on: September 23, 2017, 07:31:57 AM »

Switch was already a must-buy at launch with Zelda. With Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 around the corner it's a major miss not to own one.

I played Zelda at launch on the weeeeeoooooo. It's always been my favorite series and while Odyssey looks cool, I'm fine sleeping on it. A varied lineup of stuff that interests me beyond the 1-2 Nintendo titles I'd wanna play per year is gonna be necessary for me to get a Switch instead of just waiting it out and getting one a couple years down the road. I'm fine waiting on almost everything except Zelda.

:yeshrug
yar

archnemesis

« Reply #2257 on: September 23, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »
Any recommendations for the $30 in my e-shop account?

I might just save it put it towards Xenoblade Chronicles 2
The Snipperclips demo was fun. It will be the first thing I buy from the e-shop.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2258 on: September 23, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
Got Mario Kart. Looks great.

But, should I skip 100cc? Just came in first on all the first 6/7 races I did.

Shells already annoying me god damn

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2259 on: September 23, 2017, 06:22:06 PM »
Got Mario Kart. Looks great.

But, should I skip 100cc? Just came in first on all the first 6/7 races I did.

Shells already annoying me god damn

if you've ever played a mario kart before then start with 150cc... if you are a completionist you get awarded the cups for the easier CCs if you do 150.. in the original MK8 you had to unlock 100cc and 150cc like normal but in deluxe it's just there..

Tasty

« Reply #2260 on: September 23, 2017, 11:15:23 PM »
Yeah everything's unlocked in Deluxe so just play 150cc, gold stars there will apply to 100cc and 50cc.

150cc Mirror and 200cc need to be done individually though, wins there won't "trickle down."

And yeah that game is so fucking gorgeous. And 1080p 60fps too. :whew

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2261 on: September 24, 2017, 02:07:59 AM »
Switched to 150cc and now its fun.

Last race of the first cup, last bend, Im first and Daisy is behind me, I need to win to finish above her, i drive over a banana

:'(

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2262 on: September 25, 2017, 02:35:45 AM »

wow, Nintendo should be embarrassed out of business

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2263 on: September 25, 2017, 07:20:57 AM »
Baby Park, like playing a lottery

agrajag

« Reply #2264 on: September 26, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »
I got a Switch! :phil

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2265 on: September 26, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
©@©™

archie4208

« Reply #2266 on: September 27, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »

It looks like the spiritual successor to Mario Golf GBC aka the best golfing game ever.  :lawd

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2267 on: September 27, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »
day fucking one

(tomorrow!)

agrajag

« Reply #2268 on: September 27, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »
Some quick thoughts on the Switch (the only game I have right now is Zelda, which should keep me busy for a while).

- I was surprised how tiny and lightweight it is, including the dock. Dainty, even. But definitely not what I would call easily portable. Not in a stick in your pocket kind of way. Unless you wear jncos.

- The joycons are too small to feel comfortable for me. The side buttons get in the way when I'm playing with the joycons detached. Definitely don't feel as comfortable or solid as Wiimote + nunchuck.

- I am pleasantly surprised by the dog controller, however. Initially I thought I would never use it and it would feel rubbish, but I rather like it. It's more comfortable than detached joycons, and I will probably hold off on getting the pro controller for now. It feels "good enough."

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2269 on: September 27, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »
Some quick thoughts on the Switch (the only game I have right now is Zelda, which should keep me busy for a while).

- I was surprised how tiny and lightweight it is, including the dock. Dainty, even. But definitely not what I would call easily portable. Not in a stick in your pocket kind of way. Unless you wear jncos.

- The joycons are too small to feel comfortable for me. The side buttons get in the way when I'm playing with the joycons detached. Definitely don't feel as comfortable or solid as Wiimote + nunchuck.

- I am pleasantly surprised by the dog controller, however. Initially I thought I would never use it and it would feel rubbish, but I rather like it. It's more comfortable than detached joycons, and I will probably hold off on getting the pro controller for now. It feels "good enough."

are you use those extender things that slip over the L/R buttons?

agrajag

« Reply #2270 on: September 27, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »
Yeah. But the extender things have protruding L buttons on the side that I always feel like I'm accidentally going to press them.

agrajag

« Reply #2271 on: September 27, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »
Another thing of note is the ease of set up. I didn't even know there were instructions on the box, but I figured everything out in like two minutes tops!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2272 on: September 27, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »
Anyone have the Hori pro controller? Is it good? How long is the cord?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2273 on: September 27, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
The Nintendo Pro controller is worth it for the d-pad and more ergonomic design.  Alternatively, 8Bitdo controllers work too, and are cheaper.

Fire Emblem Musou is out today in Japan.  I'm double-dipping and have the digital version downloading now.  Will get the physical American version next month.  For some reason, I had a really hard time finding J-eShop prepaid cards.  Multiple sites, including Play-Asia and Amazon.jp, are all sold out.  Found one on a site I'd never heard of before.  Really need to get my 3DS linked up with the same Nintendo ID so I could just load it up with my credit card...

Also something is up with the retail Sine More EX.  Retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop never got it or got extremely low stock.  I found a copy on Target.com.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2274 on: September 27, 2017, 04:27:07 PM »
Fire Emblem Musou is.  SO.  GOOD. 

So this is where the good team at Omega Force has been for the past year.   I don't know much about Fire Emblem, but I know musou, and this plays great and has some nice flashy attacks.  I got Marth in my party and he(she?) was masked...don't know what's up with that, but Marth tore the enemies like butter and when I got him to the exit...I then had to go back and guide my main character there, which is a first for a musou game IIRC.

The one thing I'm not seeing so far is anything strategy-oriented, though.  In the opening level, you control up to four characters, but I'm not seeing any way to command the character(s) you aren't using to fight or go to certain areas.  Maybe it unlocks further in?
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #2275 on: September 27, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
FE Awakening spoilers

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's Lucina, Chrom's daughter who time travelled back to the past to help her father. She takes on the appearance and name of the "legendary hero" Marth (with a mask) for the first part of the game's story.

She's also in Smash 4 as a Marth clone (of course) but a little more approachable. I do love her mask. She's voiced by Laura Bailey leading to these hilarious mashups:

[close]

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2276 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
I love musou.. wish I could get FE musou but its focus on nu-FE waifu shit is disgusting

Beezy

« Reply #2277 on: September 27, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »
Fire Emblem Musou is.  SO.  GOOD. 

So this is where the good team at Omega Force has been for the past year.
Have you tried the Attack on Titan game that they made? It's pretty amazing if you're a fan of the show.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2278 on: September 28, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
Anyone try Thimbleweed Park on Switch yet? I was interested on PC but playing on Switch seems more appealing. Wondering how it fairs in handheld mode/if it uses touch controls
nat

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #2279 on: September 28, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »
Anyone try Thimbleweed Park on Switch yet? I was interested on PC but playing on Switch seems more appealing. Wondering how it fairs in handheld mode/if it uses touch controls

dunno how it works on switch but I enjoyed it on PC, especially if you are a fan of lucasarts style adventure games... shit is way better than broken age