Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 940695 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 27, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
It's much closer (and in some regards more efficient in some areas) to the Xbox One than the Wii U, if we're to believe what accurate insiders are reporting.

So... Weakest system of an already 3 years old generation then ?
ὕβρις

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #361 on: October 27, 2016, 07:34:49 PM »
I didn't deny that :goty2
püp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #362 on: October 27, 2016, 07:43:10 PM »
It's much closer (and in some regards more efficient in some areas) to the Xbox One than the Wii U, if we're to believe what accurate insiders are reporting.
I think this exact same thing was said last cycle only with difference consoles in place.

Remember how the Wii's processor could do one specific and nearly useless task far more efficiently than one of the cores of the 360 and now the Wii U was going to have three of those cores!!!

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #363 on: October 27, 2016, 09:46:17 PM »
We won't know how powerful the Switch is until we get some photos of magazine articles for Red Steel 3

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #364 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:26 PM »
The switch is the direct result of Nintendo realizing the following:
  • They can't rely on third parties so they'll have to manufacture most of the games themselves.
  • Their development efforts were cut in half to support a struggling console and a slow-starter handheld.
  • Combing the two lets them focus on one platform minimizing development costs.

This is probably the most insightful decision Nintendo has made in the last 20 years.

Theoretically this means Nintendo can make more games and faster but we all know how this will turn out.
🍆🍆

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #365 on: October 27, 2016, 10:23:50 PM »
Don't forget they've devoted some of their resources to developing phone apps too.
WDW

bluemax

« Reply #366 on: October 28, 2016, 01:48:03 AM »
Don't forget they've devoted some of their resources to developing phone apps too.

They've farmed out all of that so far. They might have some brand managers and producers but they're not really expending a lot of resources on anything they've shown so far.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #367 on: October 28, 2016, 02:32:58 AM »
I didn't deny that :goty2

Let's just say the whole song and dance "closer to PS3 or PS4" is a bit of an academic storm in a teacup. If the Switch is weaker than the Bone, it will face the same difficulties as a home machine with regards to high profile third party games than the Wiis (minus the method of control barrier).
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #368 on: October 28, 2016, 02:37:12 AM »
The Switch IS weaker then the Bone and it wont get 3rd party multiplats, but we all know that specs dont really matter cause Nintendo fans dont buy 3rd party multiplats anyway, too little whimsy

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #369 on: October 28, 2016, 07:22:07 AM »
Well, it only has to do 720p, that will help somewhat.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #370 on: October 28, 2016, 07:23:48 AM »
Its closer to Xbox One really then to Wii U*

*Brandnew

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #371 on: October 28, 2016, 12:48:31 PM »
 :esports
püp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #372 on: October 28, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1302355

Cart standard size may be 16Gb ?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:neogaf
[close]
ὕβρις

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #373 on: October 28, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »
Well, it's not like Nintendo games need a lot of space for audio files. :dayum

SantaC

« Reply #374 on: October 28, 2016, 04:10:46 PM »
The Switch IS weaker then the Bone and it wont get 3rd party multiplats, but we all know that specs dont really matter cause Nintendo fans dont buy 3rd party multiplats anyway, too little whimsy

that's why Nintendo wont bother anymore. They know they got their loyal fanbase down who buys anything. They will sell the Switch for overprice and make money no matter how crappy this thing will sell. It has been their philosophy ever since Iwata took over.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #375 on: October 28, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »

[close]

PS4/XBO level games, everyone

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #376 on: October 28, 2016, 04:25:38 PM »
Has anyone said the only switch Nintendo should be doing is to third party yet?

benjipwns

« Reply #377 on: October 28, 2016, 08:56:05 PM »

[close]
they probably have some kind of advanced compression technology so they don't need the wasted space like on discs where Sony and MS duplicate the same data over and over to increase access speeds

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #378 on: October 29, 2016, 03:07:55 AM »
okay 16 gb is wtf  :(
püp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #379 on: October 29, 2016, 08:38:28 AM »
I heard it connects to the TV using DVI

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #380 on: October 29, 2016, 10:26:13 AM »
Haven't been following the communities thoughts on this much, but i'm not feeling so pessimistic. I see a lot of buzz about this, reminds me more of wii than wii u (a number of people that have asked me about this didn't even know the wii u was a distinct device from the wii, lol) and regarding the tech specs; JDevs do some of their best work when working within technical constraints :doge

Seems like a step in the right direction at least for what I'm looking for in a console these days: nintendo exclusives, simplicity, the kinds of stuff I can't play on PC, and a focus on casual multi.

◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #381 on: October 29, 2016, 10:29:56 AM »
Clearly this will be like every cart based console ever, the larger games will cost a little more and have larger carts.... Would bet the 16gb size is the minimum, rather than "standard"
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #382 on: October 29, 2016, 10:55:16 AM »
It means that it failed at being a video game console. Which it did. It was an awesome money making device and gimmick. The gimmick didn't have staying power. Please don't act like this isn't true.

Sure, the dominant software was a gimmick, but those few games where a little waggle, and the pointer were well used really sold me on the potential of the control scheme. Playing games with your arms naturally by your sides  :lawd Resident Evil 4 Wii  :aah

Still haven't tried the Vive controllers, but that's the sort of innovation I would've liked to see from nintendo. instead they throw it away for that junky, confusing tablet.... I don't think the control scheme required that much improvement, simply adding a second stick on the right hand controller, probably just a nub, would've been enough for me. overall i was pretty happy technically with the second iteration wii pointer with higher accuracy.
◕‿◕

Yulwei

« Reply #383 on: October 29, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »
Anyone remember that NX fake from a few months back? That looked more interesting than this thing lol

The detachable controllers on the switch look fucking awful jesus. If they make a new Kid Icarus I'll be all over it though..

Actually I'll be really fucking sad if Nintendo doesn't make a new Kid Icarus. Uprising is one of my top 5 handheld games ever

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #384 on: October 29, 2016, 07:35:28 PM »
Actually I'll be really fucking sad if Nintendo doesn't make a new Kid Icarus. Uprising is one of my top 5 handheld games ever

If Uprising didn't have dogshit controls I'd probably agree with you. I know Nintendo has been pitched Mach Rider a few times, I wonder if they ever bit.

« Reply #385 on: October 30, 2016, 07:40:32 AM »
Sometimes I wonder where Nintendo would be right now if they hadn't used gimped media in the N64 & Gamecube and had tried a little harder on the network/internet stuff in the GC days. Emphasizing the handheld form/market seems to be their only option at this point.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #386 on: November 14, 2016, 08:32:09 PM »
lmfao
if this is real good lord

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #387 on: November 14, 2016, 11:55:51 PM »
:lol :lol :lol

« Reply #388 on: November 15, 2016, 12:09:35 AM »
How much crack did that dude smoke?
😈

benjipwns

« Reply #389 on: November 15, 2016, 12:18:35 AM »
How much crack did that dude smoke?
all of it

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #390 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »
:rofl

JOYCON BOYS

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #391 on: November 15, 2016, 08:35:28 PM »
I'm looking for the GAF thread on that vid but can't find it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1314483

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224562102&postcount=555

That "Hillary wearing an earpiece" level of breakdown.  :lol
[close]
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #392 on: November 15, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
Real insight would beto go third party

I know I'm two weeks LTTP on this, but if this isn't the dumbest thing you've said on this forum, it's in the top three.

Third party software almost never sells on Nintendo. This was true enough in the N64 era with a few exceptions, but on Gamecube, DS, and Wii, it has become akin to a physical law, like gravity.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »
I said Nintendo should go third party Chrono, make games for Playstation, Xbox and PC

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #394 on: November 16, 2016, 04:44:51 PM »
I said Nintendo should go third party Chrono, make games for Playstation, Xbox and PC

Ah, misunderstood which direction you're talking about. Sorry.

I disagree with that statement as well, but policy dictates that I sit here abashed for a day or so.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2016, 04:52:55 PM »
I forgive you.

6 pack of asahi please

Tasty

« Reply #396 on: December 07, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-07-sources-nintendo-switch-will-have-gamecube-virtual-console-support

GameCube Virtual Console seemingly confirmed. Relevent bits:

Those games are Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

And while the number of platforms to be offered on Switch's Virtual Console has yet to be nailed down, we've heard that there should be an upgrade programme similar to that available on Wii U, where earlier purchases of Virtual Console NES games can be 'upgraded' for a small fee rather than being bought again at full price.

Ugh, this fucking bullshit again.

Up next on its slate? A version of the GameCube Animal Crossing is currently being tested for potential release.

Will be hard to go back to AC after New Leaf but I might do it for nostalgia reasons. The original had the best atmosphere and I never loved the rolling sphere look.

Impressively, we've heard that support for these games is currently in Animal Crossing's Virtual Console build and working. So, if all goes to plan, you would be able to be play an emulated NES game within an emulated GameCube game on your Switch on the bus.

xzibit.jpg

Nintendo is also looking at Switch support for the Wii U's GameCube controller adaptor peripheral, although we understand that a final decision has not yet been made.

Pretty please. Or at least put out an adapter or something.

Another big push behind GameCube Virtual Console, we hear, is the desire within Nintendo to continue making Super Smash Bros. Melee easily playable. 15 years on from its initial release, Melee is still a hugely popular game in the esports scene, and a regular major draw at huge competitions such as Evo.

We eSports now.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #397 on: December 07, 2016, 10:57:49 AM »
virtual console will continue to be bullshit until they PUT IN A FUCKING ACCOUNT SYSTEM
pcp

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #398 on: December 07, 2016, 11:59:36 AM »
I used to think its incompetence, but its actually competence into making people rebuy stuff.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #399 on: December 07, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »
yep there is absolutely no way it's anything other than deliberate. anyone can set up an account system nowadays bc it's expected in everything. i couldn't imagine using a service without it.
pcp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #400 on: December 07, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »
Can't wait to "upgrade" Earthbound to Switch! :doge
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #401 on: December 07, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
I bought so many VC games on Wii but I drew a hard line in the sand with the Wii U and 3DS. No more VC games for me until there's an account system.

benjipwns

« Reply #402 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »
i bought Ocarina and Mario Kart 64

at least me and my friends played four player MK for a few weekends and i gold medaled everythin, only got three or four dungeons into Oacarina tho

benjipwns

« Reply #403 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:53 PM »
i probably can't even redownload that to the Wii can i, guess i'll have to pirate it and play on an emulator :doge

and by it, i mean the 3DS remaster which apparently works fine in the 3DS emulator now
NINTENDO MADE ME DO IT
[close]
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »
So the Switch dock doesn't actually have hardware to upscale to HD, it just has a fan

The Switch hardware goes into handheld mode which powers down the hardware a bit, but when it's docked, it goes full power, which makes it hot enough that it needs that fan

Interesting, and I guess that's to keep the costs down and simplify the hardware.

This is pretty much what everyone who was sensible was saying (including myself, obviously.)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #405 on: December 08, 2016, 07:19:44 AM »

Zelda's framerate looks much better on the Switch.  Was a mess in that Game Awards Wii U footage.
ど助平

archie4208

« Reply #406 on: December 08, 2016, 07:25:21 AM »
Welp, I'm getting a Switch.  :fbm

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #407 on: December 08, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »
People shit on Fallon but the dude genuinely loves games and makes an effort to have them represented well. Him losing his shit was genuine, the guy fucking loves Nintendo.

Also that shirt Miyamoto is wearing is fucking ace. Will need to hit up buddy to see if he can get me one, lol.

Tasty

« Reply #408 on: December 08, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
Reggie gained some weight :doge

His body is still ready :cody

Himu

« Reply #409 on: December 08, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »
REGGIE LOSE WEIGHT BUDDY
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #410 on: December 08, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »
the jimmy fallon thing is crazy to me

i'm so used to games being treated as something for nerds and geeks and here we have shigeru miyamoto playing mario's theme with the roots on one of the biggest night talk shows and jimmy fallon losing his shit over mario run.

is american perception of gaming changing? feels like something more japanese would treat games than american's. it's crazy to me.

why can't i play as peach in mario run this is important
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:07:28 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
Fallon's just a huge fucking nerd. He's featured companies and games and systems like this before.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #412 on: December 08, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »
Still tho. Positive video game representation on American tv?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #413 on: December 08, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
Not quite the same thing, but there's also Conan's Clueless Gamer segments:

dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #414 on: December 08, 2016, 02:13:03 PM »
conan's segments are funny but they still mostly exist to clown games. if nothing else, fallon was actually excited there (maybe too much but i can't hate on a fellow nintard too much) and that's new.

Himu

« Reply #415 on: December 08, 2016, 02:22:43 PM »
Sure but it feels abstract. Like we know in our heads everyone plays games because we see them playing them outside or at work or whatever. But it doesn't feel like an actual acceptance of games so much as it feels like something to do. So when Fallon has a segment like that for Nintendo, it feels surreal to me as someone who has played games since the 80's.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #416 on: December 08, 2016, 02:55:54 PM »
Still tho. Positive video game representation on American tv?

What was the game that was on Conan that Sony fans lost their shit because he was "playing it wrong"?

Big games are something of a staple of modern talk shows.

Himu

« Reply #417 on: December 08, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »
FFXV prolly. I dunno.

And uhhh great post and perfectly summarizes why switch is my most anticipated system since the ps2.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1322956
IYKYK

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #418 on: December 09, 2016, 10:56:34 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498093

eyeroll

you'll get your nintendo games and like it. otherwise switch is going to be a big ole pos
dur

Tasty

« Reply #419 on: December 09, 2016, 12:59:47 PM »
Pokemon Stars

Definitive version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

New Galaxy-esque 3D Mario

Smash 4 GOTY Edition

GameCube VC

Gotta say I'm pretty happy with how the Switch's first year is shaping up, even ignoring the (nebulous at this point) third party stuff.